PDA

View Full Version : Could DeMar actually be a upgrade over Simmons for the 76ers

pookenstein
06-17-2021, 06:37 AM
So that they would bite on a sign and trade? Moneywise it would work.

Pros for Spurs.
- get a youngish Star Player with four years on his contract
- could easily replace DDR of last season
- could attract other players to come to SA
- big upgrade defensively
Cons for Spurs.
- 33/35/38/40M per year over the remainder of his contract
- another non shooter
- might force his way out of SA

Pros for 76ers.
- not as good a playmaker as Simmons, but still more than capable
- good FT shooter
- they have enough shooting to make up for his lack of 3s
Cons for 76ers.
- bad defender
- reputation of beeing a playoff choker

a) Would SA do this S&T?
b) Would Philly do it?
c) Should I visit a head doctor?
d) all of the above

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-17-2021, 06:53 AM
Simmons has been terrible for them in the playoffs but I don't think they'll see DDR as being an upgrade. They'll likely try to trade Simmons in a package for Beal/Lillard and the like. Whether other teams bite is another matter entirely.

EasyMoney
06-17-2021, 07:07 AM
Ben simmons is considered a superstar, for whatever reason, so unfortunately the 76ers would want like 5 first round picks for him

pookenstein
06-17-2021, 07:09 AM
Maybe if we throw in LWIV?

The Truth #6
06-17-2021, 07:25 AM
If we ask “pretty please” it might swing the deal.

SAGirl
06-17-2021, 07:29 AM
I dont see him as an improvement for Philly. Demar to me is a Tobias Harris level player.

I think even if the 76ers win this series, and its looking like they won’t, they need to trade Simmons, and should have already made efforts to do that. He reminds me of Donkey in a way, good defensive player, good playmaker, but that is all they are, specially now that Donkey doesnt look to score most of the time. Still even Donkey will shoot a 3 and is a better FT shooter. Its to the point, that one has to think many players would be an improvement.

Demar is kind of one of the worse targets they could look at.

BacktoBasics
06-17-2021, 08:46 AM
Why sign and trade. ST members think most teams would part with a player for next to nothing simply to shed a contract.

Using ST logic we should be able to get Simmons and a 1st so long as we’re willing to take that contract.

exstatic
06-17-2021, 08:59 AM
Why sign and trade. ST members think most teams would part with a player for next to nothing simply to shed a contract.

Using ST logic we should be able to get Simmons and a 1st so long as we’re willing to take that contract.

Histrionic response. Teams attach picks to BAD contracts, not just A contract.

Jordan Jackson
06-17-2021, 09:23 AM
No. A player that won’t or can’t make 3s is a liability. Why would they trade one problem for another. At least Ben plays defense.

R. DeMurre
06-17-2021, 10:49 AM
A 76er team with a healthy Derrick White would be an incredibly good team. A 76er team with DeRozan would just be a different kind of flawed team.

The 76ers have a lot of good parts that just don't fit together. Thybulle is an amazing defender, but it's a disaster if you play him and Simmons together.

I also couldn't help noticing that Furkan Korkmaz-- my favorite free agent target for the Spurs-- was +22 in 29 minutes last night. I think players like him are the ones the Spurs should be looking for-- on their way up (he's shown improvement each of his 4 years), young (23), & not considered a "star," so less expensive.

rjv
06-17-2021, 10:56 AM
DeMar could help a lot of the teams that bowed out during these playoffs but only if those teams would have the same roster. The 76ers without Simmons take a big step backwards defensively. As for Simmons-yes, he'd make the Spurs defensively stout but the spurs need offense and Simmons is not going to cure that problem at all. In fact, I really don't know what kind of trade value Simmons has at this time. He's not even taking shots anymore and he's afraid to drive to the basket because he doesn't want to get fouled. He's a mental train wreck at the moment.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-17-2021, 12:06 PM
My money would be on DeMar signing a FA deal with the Lakers.

rjv
06-17-2021, 12:24 PM

i guess it depends on how much of pay cut demar would take. i'm not familiar with the lakers' current cap space but i'd imagine they don't have much, if any.

jjspur
06-17-2021, 12:32 PM
i guess it depends on how much of pay cut demar would take. i'm not familiar with the lakers' current cap space but i'd imagine they don't have much, if any.
I can see DeRozen taking a 1 year 18 million contract with the fakers. Hell the spurs might even get lucky a do a sign and trade with the fakers DeRozen for Kyle Kuzma even up. The lakers don't want Kuzma any more and the trade beats letting DeRozen go for nothing.

slick'81
06-17-2021, 12:33 PM
As long as he isnt here i dont give a shit

rjv
06-17-2021, 12:33 PM
I can see DeRozen taking a 1 year 18 million contract with the fakers. Hell the spurs might even get lucky a do a sign and trade with the fakers DeRozen for Kyle Kuzma even up. The lakers don't want Kuzma any more and the trade beats letting DeRozen go for nothing.

yeah, i'm not crazy about kuzma but i'd take him if no one else was available.

John B
06-17-2021, 12:53 PM
No. A player that won’t or can’t make 3s is a liability. Why would they trade one problem for another. At least Ben plays defense.

I mean I'm not a big Demar fan ONLY because his type of game does not fit in "modern day NBA" and with the Spurs personnel. BUT, to say that Simmons is better? Younger, yes. Just see below stats comparison. Demar is a better scorer with almost 7pts more, better finisher at the rim with twice the Ft attempt than Simmons, and higher conversion at 88% vs 61%. I mean would Sixers trade for Demar? Maybe not, but I can see Demar as a better clutch player. And he would not be the 1st option in that team. You put Demar as a 2nd or 3rd option in a contender? I think he'll be great.

Demar Derozan

G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
2P
2PA
2P%
eFG%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

Ben Simmons

John B
06-17-2021, 01:13 PM

Watch Demar pumpfake our guys to a tune of 25pts every time :lol

buttsR4rebounding
06-17-2021, 01:28 PM
A 76er team with a healthy Derrick White would be an incredibly good team. A 76er team with DeRozan would just be a different kind of flawed team.

The 76ers have a lot of good parts that just don't fit together. Thybulle is an amazing defender, but it's a disaster if you play him and Simmons together.

I also couldn't help noticing that Furkan Korkmaz-- my favorite free agent target for the Spurs-- was +22 in 29 minutes last night. I think players like him are the ones the Spurs should be looking for-- on their way up (he's shown improvement each of his 4 years), young (23), & not considered a "star," so less expensive.

Then we could have the F*cking Corn Maze of Furkan Korkmaz

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-17-2021, 01:48 PM
Watch Demar pumpfake our guys to a tune of 25pts every time :lol

Every former Spur always looks all-world against us, so DeMar will likely light us up for 40.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-17-2021, 02:03 PM

Can't do a sign and trade with a 1-year deal. Deals should be 3 or 4 years.

John B
06-17-2021, 02:13 PM
Every former Spur always looks all-world against us, so DeMar will likely light us up for 40.

True and ST bitching all day after :lol:lol

pookenstein
06-17-2021, 02:47 PM
I mean I'm not a big Demar fan ONLY because his type of game does not fit in "modern day NBA" and with the Spurs personnel. BUT, to say that Simmons is better? Younger, yes. Just see below stats comparison. Demar is a better scorer with almost 7pts more, better finisher at the rim with twice the Ft attempt than Simmons, and higher conversion at 88% vs 61%. I mean would Sixers trade for Demar? Maybe not, but I can see Demar as a better clutch player. And he would not be the 1st option in that team. You put Demar as a 2nd or 3rd option in a contender? I think he'll be great.

Demar Derozan

G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
2P
2PA
2P%
eFG%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

Ben Simmons

That's what I meant. DDR likes to go to the line, so that would eleminate a major weakness Philly has with Simmons now. Playing with Embiid as the #1 option he could thrive. Also he'd have some legit shooters to open lanes for his driving game.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-17-2021, 02:51 PM
They refer to Simmons as a budding superstar, but I don't see it. They wanted him to be the next Magic Johnson, I think, but he hasn't seemed that concerned about improving the weak parts of his game.

If he's a superstar, and Embid is a superstar, the Sixers have failed miserably as a team.

Texas_Ranger
06-17-2021, 03:06 PM
Simmons has been the same player for 5 years now. A GM with a brain would have traded him 3 years ago. There is no way a serious guy keeps a guy that is scared to shoot on a basketball team. If he's a superstar, then so was Michael Carter Williams. Anyhow, if the 76ers wanna win, this is it. Everyone is injured, so now is the time. They dont have a lot of time before Embiid ends his career.

poopbox
06-17-2021, 07:14 PM
Absolutely since inside the 3 point line you do actually have to defend Demar and you do not have to defend simmons at all unless he is right under the rim and he is so in his head about his free throws you don't even really have to defend him their because he legit runs away from the ball on offense...which is hilarious when he is supposed to be the point guard

Absolutly no place for Simmons in SA unless he is playing center. We have even less outside shooting to put around him than Philly does :lmao.

tim_duncan_fan
06-17-2021, 09:25 PM
For me? Doesn't move the needle. If we had him, I'd be trying to trade him for picks.

Gibbz
06-18-2021, 01:51 PM
Sounds great to me and I think it improves both teams. Unfortunately Philly considerably overvalues Simmons cause he was a no-brainer #1 overall.

John B
06-18-2021, 01:54 PM
Would Demar in there instead of Simmons won them game 5? Yes

cd98
06-18-2021, 03:24 PM
Demar is a better offensive player, but a much worse defensive player. But he can make free throws and jumpshots.

slick'81
06-18-2021, 03:39 PM
Would Demar in there instead of Simmons won them game 5? Yes

Cleraly youve never watched demar in the postseason

rjv
06-18-2021, 04:16 PM
For me? Doesn't move the needle. If we had him, I'd be trying to trade him for picks.

i agree. simmons would just be another player that shrinks the floor when we need more players that can stretch it.

tbdog
06-19-2021, 07:43 AM
I read an article where Simmons has taken just 4 shots outside the restricted area in the Hawks series. That is restricted area, not paint. And he made one of them.

NASpurs
06-19-2021, 08:28 AM

DeMar’s most famous postseason moment in his career came when he got benched.

Em-City
06-19-2021, 09:11 AM
DeMar’s most famous postseason moment in his career came when he got benched.
Same as Simmons

John B
06-19-2021, 09:50 AM

Your comment is too cliche. Do you care to expand on that?

Not as a 1st option as mentioned previously, but as a 2nd or 3rd option in a contender, I think Demar would be great.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-19-2021, 12:39 PM
both teams would be worse

slick'81
06-19-2021, 03:28 PM
Your comment is too cliche. Do you care to expand on that?

Not as a 1st option as mentioned previously, but as a 2nd or 3rd option in a contender, I think Demar would be great.

Your comment is too homer...tomato tomatoe

TDMVPDPOY
06-19-2021, 05:25 PM
this guy is a fkn scrub player... does shit all on offense, and when he makes a dunk its like he made the biggest basket of his life shouting whoever was on his poster...fck this scrub

scott
06-20-2021, 10:48 AM
Having seen the trade scenario online where we get Simmons in exchange for DJ, Lonnie, Vassell and 2 firsts... I have to ask... who the f values Simmons like this? I honestly feel that DJ > Simmons, and I want no part of a "star" guard who gets benched in the clutch because he can't shoot over 40% at the FT line.

KobesAchilles
06-20-2021, 12:11 PM
Having seen the trade scenario online where we get Simmons in exchange for DJ, Lonnie, Vassell and 2 firsts... I have to ask... who the f values Simmons like this? I honestly feel that DJ > Simmons, and I want no part of a "star" guard who gets benched in the clutch because he can't shoot over 40% at the FT line.

I would trade Simmons for DJ and some filler. That would give us some size, make it so Simmons guards the 4’s defensively instead of overmatched KJ. And push everyone back to their true comfort zone. White, Lonnie, KJ, Simmons and Dieng as the starters. No way in hell would we give up a pick though. That would be atrocious. The guy is being benched by his own coach :lol

Excessive Egotist
06-20-2021, 03:31 PM
Between Poeltl and Simmons, we'd have 41M tied up in our center. And neither can space the floor. Offensively, Simmons could potentially be used in the same way peak Golden State used Draymond Green, except Green is a much better shooter, which is an ugly thing to write.

Poeltl is obviously the better screener and rim protector. Simmons could really speed up the offense and allow the ball to move. And we have the right roster for speed. We'd need much more shooting.

I haven't looked if there are any possibilities, but a three team trade that sent Poeltl to one destination, pick/player from that team and pick(s) SA to Philly, and Simmons to Spurs might be possible.

Moving Poeltl in Simmons deal is also helpful from a cap perspective. Spurs would still have ~34M in cap left over and could still explore DeRozan sign and trades with other teams. The DeRozan sign and trade I think is most likely is Kuzma and Lakers '21 pick (chosen for Spurs with no tampering whatsoever) for DeRozan. DeMar goes home and gets to compete alongside LeBron and AD. Spurs getting a shooting four and draft compensation.

Simmons + Duncan Robinson(?) + Kuzma without giving up any of our perimeter players. Not bad. I actually might prefer Poeltl to Simmons, tho. Better payroll number, anchors D, adds a lot to our pick and roll team offense.

GreekSpursfan
06-20-2021, 03:49 PM
Even though the Raptors betrayed him i could see Demar going back there to finish his career. Either that or Lakers, Miami. There is no scenario in which we end up with Simmons, zero. Morey will go for a pg like Lillard, i could see Morey throwing some picks to go along with Simmons to get Lillard tbh, thats what i would do.

CGD
06-20-2021, 08:49 PM
I don’t know, but Simmons has really lost a lot of value in this Hawks series. Dude playing scared, huge offensive limitations, and just seems lost. Joel needs another running mate, and, spoiler alert, it can’t be Seth Freaking Curry likes it’s been these last few games.

ginobilized
06-20-2021, 08:53 PM
I could see DDR in Portland as a #2 to Lillard.
He makes them better. Maybe McCollum and filler/pick? Maybe just straight up.
If a 3rd team got involved, we might get a player in a position of need. PF!!!

mo7888
06-20-2021, 10:05 PM

I can't see Portland doing that but, if you could get McCollum and pry Collins out of Atl with a max offer then you've got a real interesting team next year.

mo7888
06-20-2021, 10:05 PM

I can't see Portland doing that but, if you could get McCollum and pry Collins out of Atl with a max offer then you've got a real interesting team next year.

tbdog
06-20-2021, 10:51 PM
I don't see Spurs wanting anything to do with McCollum contract. Actually a 3 way deal where Simmons goes to Portland, McCollum and DDR go to Sixers, and Spurs get Covington, Hill, and Seth Curry.

ginobilized
06-20-2021, 11:49 PM
I don't see Spurs wanting anything to do with McCollum contract. Actually a 3 way deal where Simmons goes to Portland, McCollum and DDR go to Sixers, and Spurs get Covington, Hill, and Seth Curry.
Yes! I’d love that. This idea has the potential of making all 3 teams better.

spurs10
06-21-2021, 12:35 AM
Simmons won't shoot the ball in the fourth quarter in a seven game series for the ECF. Don't see people knocking down their door in Philly. He wasn't the only one not shooting open shots on that team.

Texas_Ranger
06-21-2021, 12:49 AM
my dead grandma would be an upgrade over this joke. I really dont know what to do with this guy. If I am a gm, I would not want him near my team at all.

holy shit. He has 4 years left on his contract... And i thought Dallas was fucked with Porzingis.

tbdog
06-21-2021, 01:14 AM
my dead grandma would be an upgrade over this joke. I really dont know what to do with this guy. If I am a gm, I would not want him near my team at all.

holy shit. He has 4 years left on his contract... And i thought Dallas was fucked with Porzingis.

It's not the first time a player has psyched himself from trying to score. He'll have a good career regardless.

Spurtacular
06-21-2021, 03:08 AM
Ben simmons is considered a superstar, for whatever reason, so unfortunately the 76ers would want like 5 first round picks for him

Maybe at one point. His stock has decreased.

But he's still young and has strong potential, so Spurs fan being way too optimistic about pawning off their trash.

lebomb
06-21-2021, 06:20 AM
A guard that cant shoot or make free throws, are you kiddin me? If he hasnt shot the ball well his entire life, why would it start happening now?

PASS

exstatic
06-21-2021, 07:12 AM

Demar Derozan

G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
2P
2PA
2P%
eFG%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

Ben Simmons

You’re only looking at one side of the ball. Simmons has already made 2X All Defense. Demar is a fucking turnstile, and probably surrenders a bigger difference there than their scoring difference.

I wonder what Patty, as a fellow NT member, knows about his issues?

exstatic
06-21-2021, 07:31 AM
A guard that cant shoot or make free throws, are you kiddin me? If he hasnt shot the ball well his entire life, why would it start happening now?

PASS

Chip Englland . Simmons shot 30% from 3 last year. If you can even nudge that up to 34-35%, he becomes a weapon instead of a liability.

Guys with both All D and All NBA on their resume who haven’t passed 25 YO don’t come on the market every day.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-21-2021, 07:58 AM
Chip Englland . Simmons shot 30% from 3 last year. If you can even nudge that up to 34-35%, he becomes a weapon instead of a liability.

Guys with both All D and All NBA on their resume who haven’t passed 25 YO don’t come on the market every day.

What do you mean he shot 30%? That was on 10 shots for the whole year. 3 of 10. Simmons has hit 5 threes his entire career, including the playoffs. Increasing that to even 50% on that low volume would mean nothing. DDR is Steph Curry compared to Simmons.

Besides Chip Engelland isn't a miracle worker, he's just a good coach, but when the player doesn't bother to even shoot with his strong hand there's nothing a coach could ever do to fix it.

Truckules
06-21-2021, 08:02 AM

He shot 10 total 3-pointers over the course of the season. You can't make any projections on his 3-pt shooting based on shooting one every 8 games. IMO, he's never going to be an average shooter, much less a good one.

However, I still see him as a huge asset for the right price. He's as deadly as they come in the paint, he's still a really good passer, and he's one of the better defenders in the NBA. He has a major flaw, but I don't think his flaw (shooting) is as much of a detriment as Demar's is (defense) as long as you can build a complementary roster around him.

cjw
06-21-2021, 08:06 AM

You usually have good takes so I will excuse you for this one.

Sample size. Simmons literally hit three threes all year. One more, and he’d be at 40%. Does that change the take to “he’s a great shooter just think what he can do with more volume”?

We know Demar’s limitations on defensive end but Simmons is literally unplayable late in quarters because he can’t hit FTs. Age aside, Philly would have swapped the two of them in a heartbeat in retrospect. Demar on Sixers and they’re in the ECF likely with some rest.

Simmons is an awkward fit no matter where he ends up, as it’s hard to space the floor at every other position.

superbigtime
06-21-2021, 09:39 AM
Simmons has no balls. No thanks to gutless party boys.

exstatic
06-21-2021, 09:59 AM
OK, I didn’t look at the volume. :lol

Still, literally the only thing that needs fixing is his shot

tbdog
06-21-2021, 10:15 AM
You can't right off Simmons this early. The guy has insane skills, just not putting the ball in the basket. The contract is the issue because he is your Scottie Pippen/Ben Wallace hybrid that wins a title as the ultimate Robin but is paid as your batman. You don't go all in trying to get him, but you have a sniff and put in an offer. I think most teams will make an offer.

Ocotillo
06-21-2021, 10:18 AM
You can't right off Simmons this early. The guy has insane skills, just not putting the ball in the basket. The contract is the issue because he is your Scottie Pippen/Ben Wallace hybrid that wins a title as the ultimate Robin but is paid as your batman. You don't go all in trying to get him, but you have a sniff and put in an offer. I think most teams will make an offer.

Yeah, his stock is low at the moment so it may get driven up because teams will be thinking they can get him for a steal and they can fix him. Look at people on this board. My point is he looks like you could get him for an advantageous deal but with others thinking that way, the price will go up from what we think it will be.

baseline bum
06-21-2021, 10:27 AM

Sounds like his work ethic needs fixing too if he hasn't done anything with his shot in 5 years in the league.

Leetonidas
06-21-2021, 10:29 AM
Simmons has not worked on his game at all and is still the same exact player with the same exact weaknesses as when he was drafted :lol dude thinks he is better than he is and clearly does not work on his weaknesses in the offseason

mo7888
06-21-2021, 10:33 AM

It's not necessarily writing him off...but from SA's perspective you'd have to have a major commitment to change your team to build around him so that he can be effective. Alot of our young guys would have to go because they wouldn't fit with him. DJ, White (maybe), KJ, jak....all would need to be moved unless they make huge strides with their 3 pt shot this off-season. That's a huge risk at this point and it would just be better from our point of view to focus on a few young guys and build with them by going after a 4 and a 2 that can defend and knock down 3's at a high rate.

exstatic
06-21-2021, 10:38 AM
Simmons has not worked on his game at all and is still the same exact player with the same exact weaknesses as when he was drafted :lol dude thinks he is better than he is and clearly does not work on his weaknesses in the offseason

He was a first overall pick. There wasn’t a lot, OTHER THAN HIS SHOT, that needed working on.

Folks, this is how you acquire an All NBA player. He’s a distressed asset. If he were perfect, they wouldn’t be thinking of trading him.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-21-2021, 10:41 AM
It's not necessarily writing him off...but from SA's perspective you'd have to have a major commitment to change your team to build around him so that he can be effective. Alot of our young guys would have to go because they wouldn't fit with him. DJ, White (maybe), KJ, jak....all would need to be moved unless they make huge strides with their 3 pt shot this off-season. That's a huge risk at this point and it would just be better from our point of view to focus on a few young guys and build with them by going after a 4 and a 2 that can defend and knock down 3's at a high rate.

Most of these younger guys would go the other way in a potential trade anyway.

The problem with Simmons is that he's a center, who can't protect the rim, but is a good perimeter defender. Very difficult to set up a workable rotation with him. Closest would be something like GS's death line-up, but you'd need a dynamic scorer for it to have any chance of working.

Trainwreck2100
06-21-2021, 10:49 AM

You could say the same thing about DeRozan and his 3 shot, Simmons has had years to fix his shot, he chose not to, just like Derozan

Trainwreck2100
06-21-2021, 10:53 AM
Oh and just so you know he has a 15% trade kicker too.

Russ
06-21-2021, 11:04 AM
Oh and just so you know he has a 15% trade kicker too.

Waivable? I doubt his life will be too much fun in Philly.

rjv
06-21-2021, 11:30 AM
simmons needs to be on a team that has defensive needs but is fine offensively-the spurs don't fit into that category. sure, simmons would help to make the spurs really stout on the defensive side of the ball but i don't know that he'll ever be right in the head on the offensive side. can you imagine simmons and poeltl on the floor at the same time?

exstatic
06-21-2021, 11:46 AM
You could say the same thing about DeRozan and his 3 shot, Simmons has had years to fix his shot, he chose not to, just like Derozan

DeRozan has never made an All D team, and he’s also 31. Simmons is 24. he’s made the last two First Teams. He’s 6’11”. In other words, he’s not DeMar DeRozan.

LeBowen
06-21-2021, 11:51 AM
Wait, wait...some of you can't be serious???
Simmons on a max deal when we already have the worst spacing in the league? :lol

R. DeMurre
06-21-2021, 12:00 PM
The problem with Simmons is that he's a center, who can't protect the rim, but is a good perimeter defender. Very difficult to set up a workable rotation with him. Closest would be something like GS's death line-up, but you'd need a dynamic scorer for it to have any chance of working.

In theory, I can see how Simmons as a small ball center might work-- he'd be as switchable as Bam (maybe more), which is something most teams would love. The 76ers will never give this a try because Embiid is their #1 guy, though they've tried the less effective pairing with Simmons at PF. But still, I don't think it's worth the experiment--for the Spurs, anyway. If his reticence to shoot creates an issue with the level of teammates he has had (Embiid, Jimmy Butler, Al Horford, etc) it's really hard to imagine it working with zero stars. My fear is he got that monster contract, but is maybe more of a Ricky Rubio type player, with certain definite positive qualities and certain definite negative qualities-- an overall net positive guy, but not someone that's ever going to lead you to a championship. Who knows, though: think back two years ago, when Ben was the #3 guy and Philly came within one basket of beating Toronto, and likely would've won a championship that year. I have to say Doc River screwed up though, lowering his trade value by weirdly throwing him under the bus right after game 7.

Excessive Egotist
06-21-2021, 12:15 PM
Hollinger says LaVine is the most likely target of Philly. If Philly included draft compensation, I might be able to see it. But straight up...that's not happening.

After a short list of obvious targets, most of whom aren't on the market, Philly should look at trading Simmons into pure cap space to generate a TPE. Then they could target another player with the TPE, such as Lowry or Lonzo Ball. They'd probably have to incentivize receiving team with a young player or a pick to help offset the pain of Simmons' contract.

One weird scenario is reuniting Lowry and DeRozan in Philly. Their current team minus Simmons but plus Lowry and DeRozan would have beat the Hawks fairly easily. The 76ers won the series in terms of total points scored. Simmons and Rivers deserve all the blame they're receiving.

rjv
06-21-2021, 12:24 PM
Wait, wait...some of you can't be serious???
Simmons on a max deal when we already have the worst spacing in the league? :lol

yeah-the spurs need stretch wings and bigs. we already have enough shrink bigs.

Maddog
06-21-2021, 12:39 PM

Not sure I'd do that
First DDR is an UFA- so sign and trade.
Second you'd be taking three guys over 30 who are essentially role players and still have $ on their contracts. If decent picks came with it yes.

Leetonidas
06-21-2021, 12:45 PM
He was a first overall pick. There wasn’t a lot, OTHER THAN HIS SHOT, that needed working on.

Folks, this is how you acquire an All NBA player. He’s a distressed asset. If he were perfect, they wouldn’t be thinking of trading him.

Uh his shot is kind of a big deal. He is a complete non factor on offense. He is basically Tony Allen with better passing. He sucks. Anthony Bennet was a #1 pick too. Doesn't mean shit

Jordan Jackson
06-21-2021, 12:49 PM
Should the Spurs take a chance on Simmons? Maybe. It’s up to Simmons though. He’s not a hard worker - he clearly isn’t putting in the work. And now to add to it he’s checked out mentally. He need to decide if basketball matters to him.

Rich Paul needs to find him a place where basketball is the sole focus. He can’t be out in these streets partying.

Philly is an unforgiving town. Reminds me a bit of what went down with Markelle Fultz.

And ya’ll do realize if by some weird circumstance the Spurs land Simmons, they have to keep Patty to babysit him.

Leetonidas
06-21-2021, 12:51 PM
I seriously don't get why any spurs fans want another player who cannot shoot at all or really score just because he is a good perimeter defender. :lol

exstatic
06-21-2021, 12:55 PM
Uh his shot is kind of a big deal. He is a complete non factor on offense. He is basically Tony Allen with better passing. He sucks. Anthony Bennet was a #1 pick too. Doesn't mean shit

Anthony Bennet never made an ASG, All NBA, or All Defense. Simmons has made 3,1, and 2, respectively. Your comparison is crap.

Leetonidas
06-21-2021, 01:05 PM
Anthony Bennet never made an ASG, All NBA, or All Defense. Simmons has made 3,1, and 2, respectively. Your comparison is crap.

Plenty of players have made the all star game or all nba teams. Demar derozan has 4 all stars and 2 all nba selections. Does that mean we should hang onto him? His accolades mean Jack shit. His team lost (again) because he is making max money and provides nothing on offense besides passing. Simmons is trash no matter what past accolades you bring up

John B
06-21-2021, 01:21 PM

It's not fair to say Derozan didn't try to improve his game. Derozan has improved every single part of his game (except for Defense :lol) and became more of a facilitator. He has been a good soldier, whatever the team asked him.

And earlier this season, Demar tried to put up more 3's. But it's more of a personnel problem or lack thereof. In the beautiful game, the ball finds the best open shot. Even Tony got a great catch and shoot open shot.

It takes time, and I've seen them doing double picks, several passes at the starts of games with White as the primary PG, but still not crisp passes and not as effective, and regretfully found themselves getting behind in the scoring column in the 1st quarter and they go back to ISO plays.

I'm not a big fan of Demar but to say Simmons is better than him, he is not. As people have said, Simmons has no shots at all. Demar at least has the mid-range and arguably the best at it.

Demar's defense and lack of 3 points is the problem. The Spurs have found ways to hide Tony/Mills lack of defense before, and Demar is bigger and more athletic. He also has better shooting form than Tony. This team just needs more time together, which Covid derailed almost the last 2 seasons without much practice. DJ is coming off a great season. White hopefully stays healthy, and Keldon/Lonnie/Devin and co need to up their games and be more consistent. Poeltl is NOT a starting C. Spurs need one who can pass and shoot in a beautiful game. I rather start Dieng. Hopefully they can sign a John Collins type in the free agency.

I'm not a big fan of Demar. But it is what it is. With luck they can S&T/package for a 1st tier player. Demar is not. He is a 2nd tier. But Simmons is an overrated 1st tier, and not a good 2nd tier imo because of his lack of shooting skills. A comparison to Pippen is laughable :lol

exstatic
06-21-2021, 01:28 PM
Plenty of players have made the all star game or all nba teams. Demar derozan has 4 all stars and 2 all nba selections. Does that mean we should hang onto him? His accolades mean Jack shit. His team lost (again) because he is making max money and provides nothing on offense besides passing. Simmons is trash no matter what past accolades you bring up

Math Lesson: DeMar DeRozan is 31. Ben Simmons is 24. Only one of them plays elite defense and is 6’11”. Yet another crap comparison.

Just exchanging Simmons for DD, we probably land top 4-5 in the west. No other changes. I don’t care if the offense was still gummed up. With Simmons, White, DJ, Vassel, the defense would be ELITE.

Leetonidas
06-21-2021, 01:35 PM
Math Lesson: DeMar DeRozan is 31. Ben Simmons is 24. Only one of them plays elite defense and is 6’11”. Yet another crap comparison.

Just exchanging Simmons for DD, we probably land top 4-5 in the west. No other changes. I don’t care if the offense was still gummed up. With Simmons, White, DJ, Vassel, the defense would be ELITE.

The math lesson means nothing :lol your argument was that he was good because he made an all nba team and a couple all star games, my contention is that is irrelevant because a lot of underserving players get those accolades. Simmons is also gifted those all-star games since philly is usually a top seed, and they tend to give top teams 2 all stars minimum. the East sucks too :lol I'm not arguing who is better overall, but my point is Simmons is not a game changer and paying max money to a severely limited offensive player is incredibly dumb. Yes our defense would be elite, but we'd get embarrassed in the playoffs every year like Philly, and we dont have any even half as good as Embiid on the roster so that 4-5 spot is probably a pipedream. NYK showed that elite defense with 0 offense means nothing in the postseason

rjv
06-21-2021, 01:42 PM

that the defense would be an elite defense is the only part of this hypothetical that has me not completely opposed to the idea of a simmons additions/derozan subtraction deal. but that would all depend on what the other spurs moves were. i'd have to see some additions to the offense for me to buy in. of course there is another option: the spurs could just go the cheaper route and draft garuba. unless they are going after offense in the draft.

John B
06-21-2021, 01:43 PM

How do you get to 100 pts with Simmons and no other changes? Defense is great but teams are averaging 120+ and expect them to win and be 4-5?

sprrs
06-21-2021, 01:51 PM
We do have Chip Engelland on the coaching staff. If he could develop even one consistent shot and free throws he'd be elite.

Leetonidas
06-21-2021, 02:09 PM
We do have Chip Engelland on the coaching staff. If he could develop even one consistent shot and free throws he'd be elite.

The fact that he hasn't worked on it at all in 5 years is a bad sign. He even said last night "I am who I am" :lol just do some research on the kid and you'll see he's known for being a diva with a poor work ethic and bad attitude

slick'81
06-21-2021, 02:48 PM
The fact that he hasn't worked on it at all in 5 years is a bad sign. He even said last night "I am who I am" :lol just do some research on the kid and you'll see he's known for being a diva with a poor work ethic and bad attitude

This. You know what you're getting . Dude has never and probably will never be a "scorer". He lives off of his defense and passing skills. Not to say he isnt talented ,but it isnt like hes going to transform into something hes not. Now ive heard demar and lonnie straight up for ben ,and maybe if im sanantonio i would listen to that scenario assuming demar would even agree to go to phili

TD 21
06-21-2021, 03:29 PM
Not in a marked sense, if at all. No matter how low Simmons' stock is, no way they'd do this just for the 7 year age gap and the fact that DeRozan, while not a literal non jump shooter, is a virtual non 3-point shooter too.

Simmons being the centerpiece for Lillard or Beal, if/when they become available, is most likely a pipe dream at this point. McCollum+ feels like selling low, but Embiid is a ticking time bomb health wise and has probably had enough of wasting seasons with Simmons, so maybe.

SAGirl
06-21-2021, 04:01 PM
Simmons in a team without a superstar will look like Donkey when he played without both Curry and Thompson in his team and to top it off, he doesn’t have the killer instinct and competitiveness of Donkey (and I am not even a fan of Donkey), nor the leadership. Valuable piece to a good team but useless by himself, and really needs elite scorers around him. It’s the reason Donkey begged Durant to join them and I hope people recall he was benched in their first championship series for David Lee for a stretch bc he couldn’t score. Donkey played in a team with two of the best shooters this generation has seen and had other elite shooters and role players around him.

Spurs don’t have the team to maximize Simmons, but I wouldn’t be upset if they managed to squeeze a trade for him. It could pan out in time or if it doesn’t there’s always the lottery.

MemphisGirl
06-21-2021, 04:07 PM
Simmons in a team without a superstar will look like Donkey when he played without both Curry and Thompson in his team and to top it off, he doesn’t have the killer instinct and competitiveness of Donkey (and I am not even a fan of Donkey), nor the leadership. Valuable piece to a good team but useless by himself, and really needs elite scorers around him. It’s the reason Donkey begged Durant to join them and I hope people recall he was benched in their first championship series for David Lee for a stretch bc he couldn’t score. Donkey played in a team with two of the best shooters this generation has seen and had other elite shooters and role players around him.

Spurs don’t have the team to maximize Simmons, but I wouldn’t be upset if they managed to squeeze a trade for him. It could pan out in time or if it doesn’t there’s always the lottery.

Not to mention we both know that Kyle is the better player at less money right now.

Maddog
06-21-2021, 04:08 PM
First it's unlikely the Spurs have anything to that Philly would want.
If it was even remotely possible, I'm sure they have good Intel from both Patty and Brett Brown as far as wether he is someone they could work with.

John B
06-21-2021, 04:12 PM
Not to mention we both know that Kyle is the better player at less money right now.
:lol Agree

R. DeMurre
06-21-2021, 04:32 PM
In a way, Philly might've gotten lucky getting knocked out of the playoffs. There's a good chance Embiid tears his meniscus completely if he plays 10 or so more games, and then he misses most of next year. Now, Philly can decide on what to do with Simmons and be ready for Day One of next season. it is interesting to see how attitude and aggressiveness can so dramatically change a player's fortunes. Giannis isn't a great shooter either but stays aggressive, attacks the basket, and does his thing... and he's a two time MVP, now in the conference finals. Simmons shies away from the ball, doesn't shoot, and doesn't make an effort, and now he's starting to get the label of "unplayable" in the playoffs. People are rightfully praising Jrue Holiday and Trae Young, who both struggled with terrible shooting percentages early in their last games, but didn't stop being aggressive.

Arcadian
06-21-2021, 04:56 PM
This trade would make both teams worse, lol. We already have a non-shooting defensive guard in Murray.

slick'81
06-21-2021, 05:06 PM
This trade would make both teams worse, lol. We already have a non-shooting defensive guard in Murray.

Nodoubt. And if phili did try and move ben it sure as hell wouldnt be for demar derozan at any extension

Floyd Pacquiao
06-21-2021, 05:13 PM
He’d just take more shots away from embid and Harris while not playing any D and still not shooting 3s

GreekSpursfan
06-21-2021, 05:28 PM
People, Philly needs a pg not DDR, an actual fucking pg. What they need to do is pretty obvious, go after Lowry and somehow ditch Simmons. DDR for Simmons will never ever ever happen.

BackHome
06-21-2021, 06:18 PM
Damn Simmons sucks so bad and he on a 30+ million a year contract sucks to be Philly - Side note is Doc setting up to be the worst Playoff coach in NBA history?

mo7888
06-21-2021, 06:38 PM
https://news4sanantonio.com/amp/sports/if-traded-vegas-has-spurs-with-third-best-odd-as-next-team-for-ben-simmons?__twitter_impression=true

slick'81
06-21-2021, 06:43 PM
https://news4sanantonio.com/amp/sports/if-traded-vegas-has-spurs-with-third-best-odd-as-next-team-for-ben-simmons?__twitter_impression=true

Trading for Simmons would be a chore. It would possibly mean the Spurs dealing away most of the young players, future draft picks, or possibly sign-and-trade with DeMar DeRozan.

Sigh..amd so the rumor an innuendo begins

mo7888
06-21-2021, 06:49 PM
Trading for Simmons would be a chore. It would possibly mean the Spurs dealing away most of the young players, future draft picks, or possibly sign-and-trade with DeMar DeRozan.

Sigh..amd so the rumor an innuendo begins

I don't think he'll be valued that high...but regardless ..I'm just posting the article to show the Vegas odds...

Dejounte
06-21-2021, 06:50 PM
Ah hell, just do it. DeMar for Simmons. Git r dun

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-21-2021, 06:54 PM
On second thought, fuck it

If Spurs can sign and trade ddr for Simmons then Do It

Can’t be worse than DJM being our best player

JeffDuncan
06-21-2021, 06:56 PM
Go for it! We need more good draft picks for the next two years. Where’s that darn tank graphic...

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-21-2021, 06:59 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/5e312f.jpg

Dejounte
06-21-2021, 07:00 PM
I’d rather pay Simmons $35 mil than pay Collins $30 mil. I think the former has more upside even though shit looks bleak right now. Collins looks like a stiff. Simmons’ handling ability at least gives him a base to work with.

PhantomDashCam
06-21-2021, 07:28 PM
This is the Ben Simmons scouting report from 5 years ago, pre-draft. This reads like it could've been written yesterday. Eerie how little his game has progressed.
Sure, the guy is a defensive menace but he wants to be a PG without the burden, responsibilities that come with it.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1406804393786236928?s=20

In the bubble last year, Brett Brown tried to get him to play 4 - knowing the limitations within his game; he then pouted, gave minimal effort and then suffered an unfortunate season ending injury.

DJ is the better overall player atm and has shown a willingness to work at his game which has lead to consistent improvement (even through a missed season with injury).

A Demar for Simmons trade wouldn't help either team in addressing their various deficiencies.

Poeltl and Simmons would be unplayable together on Offense.

slick'81
06-21-2021, 07:44 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/5e312f.jpg

:lol

scott
06-21-2021, 08:13 PM
The only trade I'd do is something like Eubanks for Simmons and 2 firsts from Philly. That's how bad I wouldn't want Simmons on the team.

SAGirl
06-21-2021, 08:50 PM
This is the Ben Simmons scouting report from 5 years ago, pre-draft. This reads like it could've been written yesterday. Eerie how little his game has progressed.
Sure, the guy is a defensive menace but he wants to be a PG without the burden, responsibilities that come with it.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1406804393786236928?s=20

In the bubble last year, Brett Brown tried to get him to play 4 - knowing the limitations within his game; he then pouted, gave minimal effort and then suffered an unfortunate season ending injury.

DJ is the better overall player atm and has shown a willingness to work at his game which has lead to consistent improvement (even through a missed season with injury).

A Demar for Simmons trade wouldn't help either team in addressing their various deficiencies.

Poeltl and Simmons would be unplayable together on Offense.
I think fans missed the sarcasm in my last remark. Dejounte has worked hard to improve and stays aggressive regardless of what’s going on. White is the better offensive player as well, and has also improved. People were going insane with Whites lack of confidence as he was developing, etc. I can’t blame Philly fans losing patience with Ben Simmons.

If Simmons had a better desire to improve he’d be worth it, but by now we know hes not going to do what it takes to improve and is soft mentally, the worst aspect in basketball.

Yes his stock is at an all time low, but he’s talented. I wouldn’t be upset if the Spurs trade for him bc they either swim or sink at this point and there is still upside with Simmons, its just the mental game — he’s absolutely lacking. That’s is why I said, oh well, if he doesn’t work out, there’s always the lottery.

CGD
06-21-2021, 09:06 PM
I’d rather pay Simmons $35 mil than pay Collins $30 mil. I think the former has more upside even though shit looks bleak right now. Collins looks like a stiff. Simmons’ handling ability at least gives him a base to work with.

I’m with you

B1gduff
06-21-2021, 09:16 PM
To those that are comparing Simmons to Bennett, should at this point get off there computers, Phones..Etc and should probably start watching some Nba. Simmons as a player is still a postive value player, It's his contract that's a big negative. If we can work out a deal, a sign and trade with demar for Simmons, Especially if the Orgnizations beleives it can improve Simmons. You can put him at Pf, and before people complain, he's dealing with Pop. Put KJ at sf and this improves the defense. offensivly, I full anticipate, a better offensive minded players for most of out guys.

slick'81
06-21-2021, 09:19 PM
If murray can continue to find that 3 ball theres still a slim chance a murray/simmons backcourt wouldnt be one of the worst shooting backcourts ever

BackHome
06-21-2021, 09:20 PM
He hasn't changed since he got drafted I think Poodle is a better shooter then Simmons and that is saying something

Flawless
06-21-2021, 09:48 PM
After the egg he laid on the big stage his value is gonna tank. I wouldn't trade any picks or young players we have currently for him

PhantomDashCam
06-21-2021, 10:12 PM
I think fans missed the sarcasm in my last remark. Dejounte has worked hard to improve and stays aggressive regardless of what’s going on. White is the better offensive player as well, and has also improved. People were going insane with Whites lack of confidence as he was developing, etc. I can’t blame Philly fans losing patience with Ben Simmons.

If Simmons had a better desire to improve he’d be worth it, but by now we know hes not going to do what it takes to improve and is soft mentally, the worst aspect in basketball.

Yes his stock is at an all time low, but he’s talented. I wouldn’t be upset if the Spurs trade for him bc they either swim or sink at this point and there is still upside with Simmons, its just the mental game — he’s absolutely lacking. That’s is why I said, oh well, if he doesn’t work out, there’s always the lottery.

My reticence with Simmons is that he was handed the keys from day dot and really hasn’t improved enough Offensively to be a max player deserving of said moniker.
There just isn’t enough evidence to suggest he is malleable to a different position moving forward. He had a go at reforming his shot before but then put it in the too hard basket.

I don’t want to commit to a complimentary Max player who requires a roster reshuffle to maximise his talents.
For me, he’s not good enough to commit to the changes necessary to make him a game changing player.

mudyez
06-21-2021, 11:20 PM
I really like Simmons' potential and believe Chip and Pop could make it work. So DDR (+LWIV) for him would make me happy. Only thing worrying me is him being with Clutch.

dokdok
06-21-2021, 11:25 PM
I really like Simmons' potential and believe Chip and Pop could make it work. So DDR (+LWIV) for him would make me happy. Only thing worrying me is him being with Clutch.

I mean Dejounte is with Klutch and he's been fine... so far. I think taking a chance on Simmons when the Spurs have nothing to lose is a fine option. We suck and will continue to suck for a while. DeRozan is likely gone anyway so why let him walk for nothing? We have cap space no serious free agent wants anyway.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-21-2021, 11:57 PM
How would Simmons do in the diaw role?

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-21-2021, 11:59 PM
How would Simmons do in the diaw role?

But in the starting lineup, so we run the offense through Simmons playing a soft 4?

John B
06-22-2021, 12:02 AM
I mean Dejounte is with Klutch and he's been fine... so far. I think taking a chance on Simmons when the Spurs have nothing to lose is a fine option. We suck and will continue to suck for a while. DeRozan is likely gone anyway so why let him walk for nothing? We have cap space no serious free agent wants anyway.

Simmons is still owed 146mil in the next 4 years. That's about 35mil per year for a player you can't play in the 4th quarter because they will hack-a-Simmons?

Down Under
06-22-2021, 12:35 AM
If he commits to shooting right handed, get it done.

TDMVPDPOY
06-22-2021, 02:37 AM
he leave like how claw left, this clown wants a bigger market for the minimal shit he does on the floor...guy is a fkn scrub

james evans
06-22-2021, 03:51 AM
so you guys want to get rid of a guy that can't shoot 3s and disappears in the 4th for a guy that can't shoot at all and disappears in the 4th? hahaha.

tbdog
06-22-2021, 08:48 AM
so you guys want to get rid of a guy that can't shoot 3s and disappears in the 4th for a guy that can't shoot at all and disappears in the 4th? hahaha.

It's not that. He is 24 and runner up defensive player of the year. Also his value is all-time low. If the Sixers value DDR as Embid running mate with Harris, the Spurs absolutely should let it happen. Then work out the fit later because time is on their side.

LeBowen
06-22-2021, 09:03 AM
It's not that. He is 24 and runner up defensive player of the year. Also his value is all-time low. If the Sixers value DDR as Embid running mate with Harris, the Spurs absolutely should let it happen. Then work out the fit later because time is on their side.

If they actually go for Simmons, they would need to work out the fit right away or we'll be seeing another unwatchable season.

Even if Demar leaves and we get a 40% 3pt shooter in his place, we'd still have 2 subpar (DJ and Keldon) shooter and a non-shooter (Jakob) in the starting lineup. Which is still bad for today's game.
With Simmons, Jakob would be gone. There's literally no way to play Simmons without a legit 3pt big. Someone like Turner would be ideal.

But as we all know, the front office is really conservative when it comes to roster moves and nothing will happen.

Seventyniner
06-22-2021, 09:22 AM
Has anyone thought to ask whether Simmons has gotten over himself?

exstatic
06-22-2021, 10:06 AM

Klutch actually broke ties with Marcus Morris after the Knicks debacle. Rich Paul seems to understand that perception is important and that the agency will have to stand on its own merits when LeBron retires and other players fill the vacuum, and have their own wares to sell.

mo7888
06-22-2021, 10:22 AM
Yea... the clutch thing doesn't concern me at all... Bruce Bowens comments yesterday that we'd give up anything to get Simmons does a little though..

The Truth #6
06-22-2021, 12:49 PM
Rolling the dice on Simmons makes sense in theory unless we score in the lottery draw tonight, and then I'd probably pass if we are in the top 4.

But so many factors to consider and to have to work through:

1. Acquiring him without gutting the team.
2. Get him to shoot right handed.
3. Get him to play point forward.
4. Get him to actually show up and not pull a nephew.
5. Re-sign Patty and hope for a Disney Sports movie type scenario where he commits to reinventing himself after hitting rock bottom (San Antonio).
6. Deal with Kendall Jenner and her team, potentially.
7. Likely convince Pop to return to oversee Ben's first year because it's probably too much for a new coach to handle unless it's Bud, and this does seem like a Bud coaching change scenario that fits him.

But otherwise, sounds like a piece of cake.

Dverde
06-22-2021, 12:52 PM
Spurs should kick the tires on Simmons availability. We all know Morey loves his trades. He is getting traded.

John B
06-22-2021, 01:37 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1221617218615676929/R3Y-rM_G_normal.jpg
(https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral)NBA Central
@TheNBACentral
(https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral)
2h (https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1407367136662667265)

Bruce Bowen says Gregg Popovich would trade ‘anyone’ on Spurs roster for Ben Simmons"I know Pop very well and I assure you they would trade anyone on the Spurs roster for Ben Simmons."

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1407367003770392576/9KrAw2ai?format=jpg&name=small
(https://t.co/CXkQo6Awao?amp=1)
Bruce Bowen says Gregg Popovich would trade ‘anyone’ on Spurs roster for Ben Simmons
Former San Antonio Spurs forward Bruce Bowen thinks that head coach and team president Gregg Popovich would be open to trading any player on the Spurs’ roster in a deal for Philadelphia 76ers point...
ahnfiredigital.com
(https://t.co/CXkQo6Awao?amp=1)
I mean it would be a lot of overhauling the personnel to add shooters around him. As somebody mentioned Donkey thrived with two of the best shooters this game has seen, Klay and Curry. Maybe play Samanic or Dieng in the C. The problem is a Forbes/Mills/Beli type who chucks 3's without playing defense. But still Draymond would occasionally shoot the 3, misguided at times but the play calls for him to take the shot.

LkrFan
06-22-2021, 01:42 PM
https://twitter.com/DejounteMurray/status/1407408013451931650?s=19

JeffDuncan
06-22-2021, 01:59 PM

But so many factors to consider and to have to work through:

1. Acquiring him without gutting the team.

The Spurs are looking at $50 M in cap space. And $77 M below the luxury tax. All we’d need is an open roster spot.

5. Re-sign Patty ...

The only way Simmons would pay any attention to Patty is if he woke up one morning with Patty’s severed head in his bed.

R. DeMurre
06-22-2021, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't want Simmons generally, but I definitely wouldn't want him with that massive contract. His style of play prevented a team with an MVP level player and seven teammates shooting above 35% from three from advancing against an Atlanta team not even at full strength... I can see the appeal for some, but to me it looks like a case of five steps forward and five and a half steps back. His own coach and teammates were so exasperated with his play that they essentially threw him under the bus after game 7. I'd much rather land Paul Reed and Furkan Korkmaz on the cheap, and move forward from there.

Flawless
06-22-2021, 02:02 PM
https://twitter.com/DejounteMurray/status/1407408013451931650?s=19
:lmao

NickiRasgo
06-22-2021, 02:08 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10006410-stephen-a-insider-says-76ers-ben-simmons-doesnt-work-is-constantly-babied

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1407379365126623242

C'mon, he's still a rookie.

JeffDuncan
06-22-2021, 02:09 PM
Simmon’s shooting looks a lot like Poeltl’s btw. Mostly within 10 ft of the basket. And Poeltl has better percentages than Simmons.

rjv
06-22-2021, 02:11 PM
the talk from rivers today sounded like a coach who was thinking of keeping simmons although the talk from morey wasn't as committal.

John B
06-22-2021, 02:24 PM
the talk from rivers today sounded like a coach who was thinking of keeping simmons although the talk from morey wasn't as committal.

The talk from Doc was a guy trying to keep his job :lol. Simmons is 24 yrs old and considered as part of that building block. Unless it’s Embiid coming out saying he can no longer work with the guy, Simmons will stay and Doc has no choice but to make amends :lol But he’s said what he really meant and they would see what’s available offers. I doubt it would be a Derozan though. I think he’ll go for a Beal or Lillard, but it would be a win now and not waste another MVP year of Embiid.

John B
06-22-2021, 02:27 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10006410-stephen-a-insider-says-76ers-ben-simmons-doesnt-work-is-constantly-babied

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1407379365126623242

C'mon, he's still a rookie.

Sounds like another Kawhi :lol

JeffDuncan
06-22-2021, 02:29 PM

They’re worried about taking too big a loss on his contract. As things stand, right at the moment, they are looking ahead at being $20 M over the cap and within $5 M of the luxury tax next season. As they look at various possibilities they’ll have to be very careful about the money. And of course they want a replacement good enough to keep them winning. Not a happy situation.

rjv
06-22-2021, 03:01 PM
The talk from Doc was a guy trying to keep his job :lol. Simmons is 24 yrs old and considered as part of that building block. Unless it’s Embiid coming out saying he can no longer work with the guy, Simmons will stay and Doc has no choice but to make amends :lol But he’s said what he really meant and they would see what’s available offers. I doubt it would be a Derozan though. I think he’ll go for a Beal or Lillard, but it would be a win now and not waste another MVP year of Embiid.

i can't see portland giving up lillard for simmons. mccollum yes but not lillard. beal for simmons might make more sense since the wizards just need to try whateve in the hell they can to be relevant.

mo7888
06-22-2021, 04:12 PM
i can't see portland giving up lillard for simmons. mccollum yes but not lillard. beal for simmons might make more sense since the wizards just need to try whateve in the hell they can to be relevant.

Can you imagine the spacing nightmare of Simmons and Westbrook in a SL :lol

Ocotillo
06-22-2021, 04:42 PM
Simmons is a nice shiny object that I was trying to figure out how to get him here but I have talked myself out of it now. His lack of shooting and confidence is too risky for the price of his contract. You can't play old school hardass with him if he were to come to your team because he knows he is getting big checks no matter what and whoever trades for him has to believe they can "fix" him.

I would imagine PATFO has already spoken with Brett Brown about what he is really like.

Kardashian stuff is a bad sign, he evidently likes to party (wouldn't be happy in sleepy SA), family is involved (Nephew) and doesn't want to put in the work. Chip is a good coach but the player has to do the work.

BackHome
06-22-2021, 05:05 PM
Yeah hard pass on Simmons dude can't even make free throws am not going to pay him 30 mill a year and not hit his free throws or have an outside shot no way hard pass

John B
06-22-2021, 05:16 PM
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialNBATalk/photos/a.546280732095895/4396962163694380/?type=3Twitter: “If Ben Simmons shot Tupac, he’d still be alive.”

Lmfao.
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/e200dc94-f173-440c-b7f1-04629d47f141

Dejounte
06-22-2021, 05:21 PM
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialNBATalk/photos/a.546280732095895/4396962163694380/?type=3Twitter: “If Ben Simmons shot Tupac, he’d still be alive.”

Lmfao.
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/e200dc94-f173-440c-b7f1-04629d47f141

he wouldn’t even take the shot. He’d give the gun to someone else

tonight...you
06-22-2021, 05:24 PM
he wouldn’t even take the shot. He’d give the gun to someone else
While at point blank range.

rjv
06-22-2021, 05:25 PM
Can you imagine the spacing nightmare of Simmons and Westbrook in a SL :lol

that would even make the spurs spacing look like a canyon

Flawless
06-22-2021, 05:27 PM
Kardashian stuff is a bad sign, he evidently likes to party (wouldn't be happy in sleepy SA), family is involved (Nephew) and doesn't want to put in the work. Chip is a good coach but the player has to do the work.
I don't want him for these reasons alone, if he hasn't put in the time to improve these past 4 years what makes you guys think he's gonna start now?