PDA

View Full Version : Report: Rick Carlisle resigns as Mavs head coach

ducks
06-17-2021, 03:51 PM
https://www.audacy.com/1053thefan/sports/dallas-mavericks/report-rick-carlisle-resigns-as-mavs-head-coach?fbclid=IwAR1SEYkB1Qe3N5vut9Q4wzv5xzc-qc5jycl8scdY4GWpvdxbc-CUpM_QVFU

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-17-2021, 03:56 PM
Walking away from the opportunity to coach Luka is weird.

slick'81
06-17-2021, 04:07 PM
Pop aint going anywhere

ducks
06-17-2021, 04:11 PM
Dude resigned to get paid

Perry Mason
06-17-2021, 04:12 PM
I want RC! Do it RC!

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-17-2021, 04:15 PM
DO IT RC

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-17-2021, 04:15 PM
(maybe luka is a nephew type)

DesignatedT
06-17-2021, 04:16 PM
Boston bound..?

R. DeMurre
06-17-2021, 04:20 PM
Donnie Nelson fired, Carlisle quits, Porzingis griping... The chances of Dallas retaining Luka are looking worse every day. Time to draft whoever Luka's best friend in Slovenia is in the 2nd round.

LaMarcus Bryant
06-17-2021, 04:23 PM
Donnie Nelson fired, Carlisle quits, Porzingis griping... The chances of Dallas retaining Luka are looking worse every day. Time to draft whoever Luka's best friend in Slovenia is in the 2nd round.

1) Let Pop hand the keys to Rick
2) Draft the best Slovenian available
3)
4) Get Luka (profit)

SpurSpike
06-17-2021, 04:28 PM
Damn lots of vacant coaching positions right now. If Pop leaves that means 8 teams will be looking for a new coach!

The Truth #6
06-17-2021, 04:30 PM

Or undrafted, but yes!!

John B
06-17-2021, 04:38 PM
First it was Don Jr, then Carlisle? What gives? I mean I hate Carlisle’s arrogant face :lol but that’s because he’s been a thorn on Spurs’ side. He is a Championship coach and I don’t think they can find any better with current coaches. That wasn’t his fault Zingis wasn’t playing as hard enough, which I think cost them the series. Are they looking for a Zen Master to make their two franchise players co-exist? Because I think that’s no Shaq/Kobe, but only Doncic and co. What they need is another player to make it a trio which maybe and help with the load. Doncic had to carry too much.

slick'81
06-17-2021, 04:40 PM
Caisle is a damn good coach. Would this maybe encourage pop to finally step aside?

K...
06-17-2021, 04:46 PM
Car isle isn't coming here. Were a third rate franchises expect a nice college coach instead of an nba retread

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-17-2021, 04:49 PM
Car isle isn't coming here. Were a third rate franchises expect a nice college coach instead of an nba retread

did you remove the L from his name because he doesn't Lose?

if so lmao

buttsR4rebounding
06-17-2021, 04:57 PM
When are going to hear Becky Is being considered.

r0drig0lac
06-17-2021, 05:12 PM
(maybe luka is a nephew type)

maybe? this guy is probably the biggest bitch in the entire league, established coaches aren't willing to put up with arrogant James Harden for long time.

exstatic
06-17-2021, 05:15 PM

He’s obviously very friendly with Samanic when we play them.

The Truth #6
06-17-2021, 05:32 PM
Signing Luka is probably the only way to ensure our Luka gets minutes. Lol.

Seventyniner
06-17-2021, 05:45 PM
Boston bound..?

Good guess imo.

K...
06-17-2021, 05:56 PM

i don't expect any announcement prior to Olympics. it would change the team dynamic if they knew pop was leaving.

Dex
06-17-2021, 05:59 PM
Walking away from the opportunity to coach Luka is weird.

Sounds like there was actually tension there that drove him out:

The tension between Carlisle and 22-year-old superstar Luka Doncic had increasingly become concerning within the Mavs organization, sources said. Doncic showed up Carlisle several times this season, such as making animated gestures on the court when he disagreed with a decision or yelling at Carlisle in front of assistant coaches and teammates.

According to Cuban, the Mavs will hire a new head of basketball operations before conducting a coaching search. Cuban has hired Mike Forde's Sportsology, a consulting firm frequently used by NBA teams hiring general managers, to assist in the search for Nelson's replacement.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31654042/rick-carlisle-says-return-dallas-mavericks-coach-13-seasons

Dejounte
06-17-2021, 06:15 PM
Not surprised that Doncic is a headcase

rjv
06-17-2021, 06:18 PM
you gotta give pop credit for one thing-ain't no player ever had the balls to yell back at him during a game.

exstatic
06-17-2021, 06:35 PM
i don't expect any announcement prior to Olympics. it would change the team dynamic if they knew pop was leaving.

It’s been pretty much an open secret for a year that he’s retiring after the Olympics. They won’t postpone them again, so there’s either an Olympics and he retires, or they cancel, and he retires.

R. DeMurre
06-17-2021, 06:42 PM
https://thesportsdrop.com/articles/luka-doncic-and-the-nbas-best-players-from-slovenia/5/

"Nesterović was never much of a scorer, but he could rebound, play defense, and do a lot of the dirty work. His team made the playoffs in 10 of his seasons, so he usually played on winning teams. Perhaps most importantly, he’s Dončić’s godfather."

I'd never heard of this before.

bigfan
06-17-2021, 06:50 PM
Carlisle is a damn good coach but its more to do with Cuban hiring a statistics guy than anything else. As for Pop, I am certain he is done after the Olympics and I also bet he has already informed the owners.

texwheel
06-17-2021, 06:53 PM
I think Nelson getting fired may have contributed to Rick's quitting. Also Luka wasn't pleased with Nelson's ouster as they were close.

The Truth #6
06-17-2021, 07:10 PM
Luka D doesn't seem like an obvious little beyotch, but I don't follow Dallas chisme that closely. It's also possible that Carlisle is too structured. I mean, gulp, Manu had challenges in the beginning with Pop telling him to play more controlled, but we had Duncan to keep things in line and, obviously, Manu is a God and not someone to get involved in mere mortal petty drama.

Dejounte
06-17-2021, 07:35 PM
Luka D doesn't seem like an obvious little beyotch, but I don't follow Dallas chisme that closely. It's also possible that Carlisle is too structured. I mean, gulp, Manu had challenges in the beginning with Pop telling him to play more controlled, but we had Duncan to keep things in line and, obviously, Manu is a God and not someone to get involved in mere mortal petty drama.

A story from Clutchfans:

"I saw Luka at a grocery store in Los Angeles. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
​
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly."

exstatic
06-17-2021, 07:38 PM

Have you EVER watched an entire Mavs game? Luka is a bigger bitch on the court than Dirk ever was, and Dirk was a world class diva.

BacktoBasics
06-17-2021, 07:41 PM
Atlanta finally with something smile about this year.

John B
06-17-2021, 08:00 PM
Have you EVER watched an entire Mavs game? Luka is a bigger bitch on the court than Dirk ever was, and Dirk was a world class diva.
Yup I always see Doncic snarling at officials or making his smirks every time he makes a shot. I thought that like any other alphas that are assholes. MJ, Bird, Kobe they’re all jerks as being overly competitive. But Doncic is just plain asshole.

timtonymanu
06-17-2021, 08:21 PM
Luka has a horrible team around him but my god the player entitlement these days is just too much. Thanks LeDiva for the trend you started. Durbeta for continuing it and Nephew for doing the worst of it all. Really unfortunate for all the small market teams who can’t even trust their star talent anymore if they don’t automatically build a contender.

Chinook
06-17-2021, 08:36 PM
Why do people keep calling for a vet coach to come in take the reigns? This isn't a win-now team. You don't want a guy who's going to get seven more wins out of the club than the talent allows. You want a guy who's going to develop the young players. Sometimes those two goals can align. Often, they won't, and guys like Forbes will get a ton of minutes. I'm all for the team trying to win, but that also means getting vets and retaining DeRozan. These past two seasons with DMDR, Gay and LMA, it would've made sense. Now, even if they bring DeRozan back, the team doesn't really have a path toward competing in a meaningful way. I don't see a trade or signing (in addition to DeRozan coming back) that would allow for the team to make that pivot.

timtonymanu
06-17-2021, 08:50 PM
A story from Clutchfans:

"I saw Luka at a grocery store in Los Angeles. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
​
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly."

You do realize that’s a meme post, right? Or you’re aren’t being serious with your post? :lol

SAGirl
06-17-2021, 08:56 PM
You do realize that’s a meme post, right? Or you’re aren’t being serious with your post? :lol
Even if it wasn't a meme post, it was obviously too ridiculous and went on for too long, to be credible.

Dejounte
06-17-2021, 08:58 PM
Why must you be a Toby

Party pooper

https://media.tenor.com/images/fc61ad0ce813962f7108e6f24ad7a674/tenor.gif

daslicer
06-17-2021, 08:59 PM
you gotta give pop credit for one thing-ain't no player ever had the balls to yell back at him during a game.

Stephen Jackson did it a few times during his first stint with the Spurs. I remember reading about how David Robinson is the one that served as peacemaker when Jax went off on Pop.

SAGirl
06-17-2021, 09:01 PM
You didn't know. :lmao
No I didn't see it except here, presented as a “realistic account” I Thought it was too funny a story and too long to be credible. The Milky ways gave it away.

timtonymanu
06-17-2021, 09:01 PM
Why must you be a Toby

Party pooper

https://media.tenor.com/images/fc61ad0ce813962f7108e6f24ad7a674/tenor.gif

Ah shit, my bad D.

ducks
06-17-2021, 10:23 PM
Tim MacMahon
@espn_macmahon
Luka Doncic is a strong supporter of Mavs assistant coach Jamahl Mosley. “He’s got the things that are needed for a head coach," Doncic said after Mosely's one-game fill-in for a win over the Knicks this season. "He can be the head coach, for sure.”

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-17-2021, 10:27 PM
Why do people keep calling for a vet coach to come in take the reigns? This isn't a win-now team. You don't want a guy who's going to get seven more wins out of the club than the talent allows. You want a guy who's going to develop the young players. Sometimes those two goals can align. Often, they won't, and guys like Forbes will get a ton of minutes. I'm all for the team trying to win, but that also means getting vets and retaining DeRozan. These past two seasons with DMDR, Gay and LMA, it would've made sense. Now, even if they bring DeRozan back, the team doesn't really have a path toward competing in a meaningful way. I don't see a trade or signing (in addition to DeRozan coming back) that would allow for the team to make that pivot.

not just a vet coach, one of the best coaches in the league

smh

Atl Spur
06-17-2021, 10:33 PM
Coaching is hard..... Pop haters always have to eat crow

spurs10
06-17-2021, 10:37 PM
Maybe Luka is leaving too.

tmtcsc
06-17-2021, 10:47 PM

When her agent or some other organization who wants to appear "woke" throws her name out there. She's not getting hired folks. No woman is until many more females are hired in assistant roles.

tmtcsc
06-17-2021, 10:48 PM

You don't know that.

The Truth #6
06-17-2021, 11:20 PM

Thankfully, no. I’m not defending the guy. I’m perfectly ok to be convinced he’s a douche. It would be surprising if an NBA superstar wasn’t. I’m also bot going out of my way to say Carlisle is what we need.

Chomag
06-18-2021, 12:15 AM
Damn good coach, Spurs FO should be going hard on him....ah who am I kidding this FO probably won't even make a call.

EricB
06-18-2021, 12:17 AM
Stephen Jackson did it a few times during his first stint with the Spurs. I remember reading about how David Robinson is the one that served as peacemaker when Jax went off on Pop.

Robinson was the captain but the Jackson whisperer was Mike Brown.

GreekSpursfan
06-18-2021, 02:05 AM
Haralabob and Luka are behind this. Obviously hiring R. Carlisle is a no brainer but we need someone to tank not win just enough to be the 8th seed. I would love Carlisle but the timing isn't right imo.
Either way i don't think we can get him when the Celtics, New Orleans with Zion and others are in the mix, not to mention the Bucks if they fail in game 7 which i believe they will.

Texas_Ranger
06-18-2021, 06:05 AM
Yup I always see Doncic snarling at officials or making his smirks every time he makes a shot. I thought that like any other alphas that are assholes. MJ, Bird, Kobe they’re all jerks as being overly competitive. But Doncic is just plain asshole.

thank god we only have nice guys that will never win a thing cause none of them are competitive assholes.

exstatic
06-18-2021, 06:12 AM

smh

No he’s not. :lol His win % is .548. If you project that over a season, it’s 44.9 wins. If you want to win 45 games a year, he’s your guy. :lol

Texas_Ranger
06-18-2021, 06:18 AM
Carlisle hasnt been a good coach in like 10 years, wtf are some of you here thinking. Even Pop is better.

Chinook
06-18-2021, 07:33 AM

smh

But not one the best developmental coaches. There's nothing smart about Carlisle to the team. The Spurs already have a better coach than him or Bud, and so many STers are pissed and want to move on and rebuild. Why would that be different with Carlisle? The biggest difference would just be that the team is slated to be even less talented this year than it's been in decades.

John B
06-18-2021, 09:43 AM
thank god we only have nice guys that will never win a thing cause none of them are competitive assholes.
Agreed :lol:lol. As mentioned before he’s so easy to hate because he plays so good for the other team. As much as we love Bruce, he’s the biggest asshole to other teams :lol

MoSpur02
06-18-2021, 10:53 AM

This. I can’t stand Luka. He seems like he feels entitled and whines way too much.

CGD
06-18-2021, 12:27 PM
Feels like a reunion with his old club Boston? I like him as coach, but he apparently has zero interpersonal skills which seems important for coaching.

One thing is for sure, if pop wants to leave he should announce soon. Some good coaches out there I wouldn’t want to miss on Carlyle, Stott, Bud (soon)

Ditty
06-18-2021, 12:32 PM
I rather have Carlisle than Bud. Come on RC and ownership!

exstatic
06-18-2021, 12:38 PM
I rather have Carlisle than Bud. Come on RC and ownership!

44 wins. That’s what Carlisle brings, based on his win %. At least Bud will get you 48+ in any year.

Gibbz
06-18-2021, 01:47 PM
Carlisle is incredibly overrated just because he imitates Pop's schtick with the media.

Atl Spur
06-18-2021, 02:14 PM
Damn dudes stay moving the goal post..... who is a good coach in the NBA? Can someone list and rank the top 5? Pop should be on everyone’s list.......

exstatic
06-18-2021, 02:27 PM
Pop
Synder
Spo
Bud
Donovan

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-18-2021, 02:32 PM
44 wins. That’s what Carlisle brings, based on his win %. At least Bud will get you 48+ in any year.

carlisle's win % is dragged down by nowitzki's 4-year victory lap tbh

exstatic
06-18-2021, 03:19 PM
carlisle's win % is dragged down by nowitzki's 4-year victory lap tbh

You are what your record says you are - Bill Parcells

Also, as stated multiple times in this thread, he isn’t a developmental guy. He likes to play veterans over youngsters. Sound familiar?

slick'81
06-18-2021, 03:40 PM
You are what your record says you are - Bill Parcells

Also, as stated multiple times in this thread, he isn’t a developmental guy. He likes to play veterans over youngsters. Sound familiar?

If were going young and rebuilding then sure,ill buy that

exstatic
06-18-2021, 03:56 PM
If were going young and rebuilding then sure,ill buy that

Well, LMA is out the door, and DeRozan looks to be right on his heels. I’d call that at least a soft rebuild.

J_Paco
06-18-2021, 04:30 PM
Not surprised that Doncic is a headcase

As we saw with Nephew, sometimes when a guy is that good so early it comes with a lot of baggage (or external baggage in Leonard's case).

J_Paco
06-18-2021, 04:41 PM
Coaching is hard..... Pop haters always have to eat crow

No, all you need is a superstar and everything else figures it self out!

All the coach needs to do is show up and win. They are so overrated and pointless in the NBA, TBH.

ragas
06-19-2021, 01:45 PM

Watch a game of the Slovenian National Team with Doncic and Dragic on the floor. That‘s much worse. Donic had a „good“ teacher

Dex
06-24-2021, 10:20 AM

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-24-2021, 10:54 AM
He'll probably do well with the Pacers.

ducks
06-24-2021, 11:37 PM
Yeah 29 big reasons to do so

exstatic
06-25-2021, 06:39 AM
He'll probably do well with the Pacers.

He did OK last time around.