PDA

View Full Version : Prize recruit Ebi to remain in NBA draft

ducks
06-26-2003, 02:07 PM
Prize recruit Ebi to remain in NBA draft
TUCSON, Ariz. -- Ndudi Ebi, the crown jewel of Arizona's small recruiting class, told the university today that he will pursue his dream of playing in the NBA.
The 6-foot-9, 195-pound forward from Houston's Westbury Christian High School committed to the Wildcats on Nov. 14. But he decided last week to make himself available in the NBA draft, and reconfirmed the decision before today's deadline.
"He told our coaches he was going to stay in," Arizona sports information director Tom Duddleston said.
It was not immediately clear if Ebi had hired an agent. If he did not and was disappointed with his draft position, he could retain college eligibility. But Arizona athletic director Jim Livengood wasn't confident about getting him back.
"The agent has unlimited access and unlimited ability to tell a prospective student-athlete anything they want," Livengood told the Tucson Citizen. "We have a responsibility to tell the student-athlete things that are true."
Ebi averaged 23.3 points, 11.6 rebounds and 2.7 blocks last season, earning a first-team berth on USA Today's all-USA team along with LeBron James, who will be Cleveland's choice with the No. 1 pick next week, and point guard Mustafa Shakur of Wynnewood (Pa.) Friends Central High, another recruit of Arizona coach Lute Olson.
Ebi has said he hopes to be a lottery pick.
The Phoenix Suns gambled last year when they made Amare Stoudemire the ninth pick of last year's draft. Stoudemire, the only player chosen fresh from high school, went on to become the league's Rookie of the Year, but that kind of immediate impact is rare.
"A couple of years with Lute would have made (Ebi) better," San Antonio Spurs guard Steve Kerr, an Arizona alumnus, told the Citizen. "A lot of these young guys come out too soon."
Arizona's third recruit to fill the vacancies left by three seniors is center Kirk Walters of Grand Rapids, Mich.

According to reports out of the Arizona area, Arizona's blue chip basketball recruit is one step closer to committing to the NBA rather than the Wildcats.
Ndudi Ebi held a personal workout for NBA scouts on Tuesday and they were beating down the gymnasium door to get a look at him.
"He shoots better than I expected," NBA Scout John Lucas said. "He's like a young Scottie Pippen.
Ebi committed to play for Lute Olson last fall then made the surprising move of entering the NBA draft last month..
The 6-9 Forward averaged 23.5 points and 11.6 rebounds for Westbury High School in Houston, Texas his senior year. He is projected by some publications as a mid-first round pick shich could influence the prospect's decision.
"I know I'm going to be first rounder it's just a matter of how high," Ebi said. "God willing I'll make the right decision."

ducks
06-26-2003, 02:07 PM
NBA draft
* When: 4 p.m. next Thursday
* Where: Theater at Madison Square Garden, New York
* TV: ESPN

By Bruce Pascoe
ARIZONA DAILY STAR
PHOENIX - The Suns have declared them-selves uninterested in UA signee Ndudi Ebi, who has until today to pull himself from the NBA draft and play college basketball for the Wild-cats.
The only question is if there are enough NBA teams that have given the Houston high school standout indications he will be taken in the first round, where players' contracts are guaranteed for three years.
If so, Ebi is expected to stay in the draft past today's deadline, hire an agent and forgo his college eligibility.
Although ESPN.com has spec-ulated that the Suns will take Ebi with their 17th overall pick in next week's draft, assuming Ebi does not pull out, Phoenix general manager Bry-an Colangelo said he has told UA coach Lute Olson that
his team will not take Ebi with
that selection.
Further, while other teams might gamble a first-round pick on Ebi because of his potential, Ebi will be better off in school, Colangelo said.
"I've been encouraging his advisers to make that decision,'' Colangelo said. "I went as far as to say we would not have him in for a workout.''
Although the Suns were successful in selecting Amare Stoud-emire out of high school last season, Ebi, a 6-foot-10-inch forward, is not as strong physically. Suns player personnel head **** Van Arsdale said Ebi is a long way from being ready to play - although he could eventually become a good NBA player because of his athleticism and size.
"From what I saw, he has a lot of potential. But he's not even close to being ready to play in the NBA,'' Van Arsdale said. "God bless him, but he needs to pull out (today). He needs to go to Arizona. I hope his people are smart enough to make that decision.''
Moreover, what's also keeping the Suns from drafting Ebi is the politics involved in taking a player away from the UA, says Jim Hicks, publisher of the Houston-based Recruiters Cheat Sheet.
Ebi is still projected, however, by hoopshype.com as Atlanta's No. 21 pick overall.
Speculation is all anybody can offer at this point. Ebi, as he did before choosing the UA over Duke last fall, is keeping his feelings private.
Ebi has declined comment repeatedly in phone interviews with the Star this spring, and his father, God-win, also declined to speak last week when asked about his son's intentions.
UA assistant coach Josh Past-ner, who was the lead recruiter for Ebi, said Wednesday he has been in constant contact with Ebi, but Ebi remains undecided.

Find in-depth and breaking news coverage from the front lines and the home front on StarNet's America at War site: www.azstarnet.com/attack
Subscribe to the StarNet Newsletter to receive news bulletins and an e-mail each weekday with links to the top new content on StarNet.

ducks
06-26-2003, 02:09 PM
http://kold.static.worldnow.com/images/1325930_BG1.jpg