PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Learning curve at any age

howard2
11-17-2005, 05:58 PM
San Antonio Express-News
By Johnny Ludden
Nov 17, 2005
Link: San Antonio Express-News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111705.1C.BKNspurs.oberto.167eeb58.html)

Learning curve at any age: Spurs' Oberto is 30 and has pro base, but NBA game poses challenge

At 30 years and 225 days, Fabricio Oberto is the oldest rookie in Spurs' history. Which, by any standard, means he's still a rookie.

And, like most rookies, Oberto has had to learn, quickly, the value of patience. Last week in Chicago, he didn't get off the bench. Tuesday night against Atlanta, he stayed on the floor for 21 minutes, totaling eight points and eight rebounds.

"Last night, I think was the first game I wasn't thinking what I had to do," Oberto said. "I was doing it."

Oberto hopes to do more of the same as he becomes acclimated to the NBA.

As a veteran of Spain's top professional league, Oberto knew what to expect from most players in Europe. Since joining the Spurs, he's had to adjust to the size and athleticism of NBA players — in addition to new teammates, a new system, a new country and a different language.

"He's learning slowly but surely," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He obviously has a great effort level and works hard every night. I think he'll just get better and better as he gets comfortable."

Oberto acknowledges he's had to adjust to the speed of the NBA game. And while he's a good passer, he hopes to improve his mid-range shot to allow him to better space the floor in the Spurs' offense.

"The key for me every day is to keep working," he said.

So far, Oberto — whose long hair has earned him the nickname Fabio from his teammates — has done most of his work in practice. In the Spurs' recent five-game road trip, he averaged about four minutes a game.

With Houston visiting the SBC Center tonight, Oberto's playing time might drop again if Popovich needs Rasho Nesterovic and Nazr Mohammed to better match up with the Rockets' 7-foot-6 center, Yao Ming.

Robert Horry, meanwhile, has taken most of the minutes behind Tim Duncan and Nesterovic. The Spurs also have been concerned about finding time for Mohammed, who was away from the team for much of training camp.

With more opponents using smaller lineups, the Spurs don't figure to settle on a rotation for their big men anytime soon.

"Everyone is having to sacrifice, but it's also helped me," Oberto said. "Because we have so many talented, good players, they already know what to do. The key for me is to get into the system."

Like Nick Van Exel and Michael Finley — the Spurs' two other newcomers — Oberto sometimes thinks instead of reacts. He's also used to pacing himself because his Spanish team needed him to play substantially more minutes.

"I need to play with more intensity, be more aggressive, try to improve on defense," Oberto said. "I think that's the thing I have to do to really help the team when I have the (chance) to get in and play."

Oberto made the most of his opportunity against Atlanta. Though still prone to fouls, he had six points, four rebounds and a block in a 91/2-minute stretch of the fourth quarter.

"Every day is one or two mistakes less," he said. "One day, it's going to be like no mistakes."

Spurs looking for help: Although the Spurs signed rookie Melvin Sanders last week to provide depth while Brent Barry and Finley are sidelined, the team expects to add another young wing player, possibly as soon as today.

The absence of Barry and Finley the past four games has made it difficult for the Spurs to match up with opponents who use small lineups.

Popovich said Barry and Finley are doubtful to play tonight.

Both players scripted plays during Wednesday's light workout. The Spurs did not scrimmage, so neither Barry nor Finley has yet to go through a contact practice.

"Maybe in another four or five days, they'll be ready to go," Popovich said.