PDA

View Full Version : I’m liking Garuba

Atl Spur
06-23-2021, 09:15 AM
This kid has the motor and enough skill to build upon! He’s worth #12

Atl Spur
06-23-2021, 09:48 AM
His work ethic is clearly evident, now he just needs the Patfo coaching! Our defense would be sick.

Atl Spur
06-23-2021, 10:07 AM
His work ethic is clearly evident, now he just needs the Patfo coaching! Our defense would be sick.

rjv
06-23-2021, 12:25 PM
garuba can guard multiple postions, is a solid passer and a beast on the boards but his offense is a work in progress and we're at a time when the spurs need offense. still, i myself have gone back and forth with garuba as the spurs choice. i hope i get to see him get some quality minutes in FIBA play this summer.

The Truth #6
06-23-2021, 12:31 PM
garuba can guard multiple postions, is a solid passer and a beast on the boards but his offense is a work in progress and we're at a time when the spurs need offense. still, i myself have gone back and forth with garuba as the spurs choice. i hope i get to see him get some quality minutes in FIBA play this summer.

Same. His defense is billed as elite, and his body size is perfect for the modern NBA. He would definitely be enticing for a contender who needs a Lebron/Kawhi/Bam/Giannas stopper, so to speak. I wouldn't be upset if they grabbed him. His projections are all over the place. His below average shooting is obviously the concern, but maybe no worse than Giddey, to be honest. My theory is that for a small market team we are going to have to scrap and building around defense is probably a smart way to go. I'd probably take Moody over him, but he's young and showing great poise at a high stage already. Plus: he speaks Spanish! Ha.

exstatic
06-23-2021, 01:16 PM
We don’t know what his body size, or any of his measureables are, or his testing, because he skipped the combine. BTW, his shooting is no worse than Gidney’s is hardly the ringing endorsement you think it might be.

Anyone who selects him is buying the proverbial pig in a poke. This is the kind of player that gets GMs fired.

The Truth #6
06-23-2021, 01:31 PM
We don’t know what his body size, or any of his measureables are, or his testing, because he skipped the combine. BTW, his shooting is no worse than Gidney’s is hardly the ringing endorsement you think it might be.

Anyone who selects him is buying the proverbial pig in a poke. This is the kind of player that gets GMs fired.

Lots of players skipped the combine. It doesn't make the assessment easier, but it's the challenge for lots of picks this year.

Mentioning Giddey wasn't meant to be an endorsement of Garuba, but a statement of how people overlook it for Giddey.

Getting GM's fired with a 12th pick? Defense translates, which is why a team would pick him, with that floor in mind, and the hope for improvement. Pretty hyperbolic statement. Picking Ziare Williams at 12 and him busting would be more of a concern. But you think Brian Wright would get fired for picking Garuba? Sounds ridiculous to me.

Atl Spur
06-23-2021, 01:32 PM

Kawhi skill/position was a question mark coming out but defense & work ethic was solid! Let’s try and catch lightning in a bottle again!

rjv
06-23-2021, 01:44 PM
Lots of players skipped the combine. It doesn't make the assessment easier, but it's the challenge for lots of picks this year.

Mentioning Giddey wasn't meant to be an endorsement of Garuba, but a statement of how people overlook it for Giddey.

Getting GM's fired with a 12th pick? Defense translates, which is why a team would pick him, with that floor in mind, and the hope for improvement. Pretty hyperbolic statement. Picking Ziare Williams at 12 and him busting would be more of a concern. But you think Brian Wright would get fired for picking Garuba? Sounds ridiculous to me.

Yeah, I never thought you were endorsing Garuba by virtue of comparing his shot to Giddey's. And I agree on the combine. Besides, if a team wants to get the measurements of a player before a draft, they will find a way to get them.

The Truth #6
06-23-2021, 01:48 PM
Kawhi skill/position was a question mark coming out but defense & work ethic was solid! Let’s try and catch lightning in a bottle again!

Yeah, that’s the comp. The lack of shooting is a concern but it was with Kawhi as well, perhaps even more so with his mechanics. If Brian Wright wants high floor/defensive players, I can see them taking him.

exstatic
06-23-2021, 02:14 PM

Kawhi went to the combine, and was at least measured, even if his ankle injury kept him from workouts. He wasn’t supposed to shoot,but he got bored waiting for some part of the combine, and picked up a ball, and started shooting. It was determined that minor changes could make him a good 3 point shooter. Kawhi also played 2 years of D1 ball, not scant minutes in Europe, scoring 4.7p/4.6r. Kawhi was NOT a complete unknown. This kid really is.

Atl Spur
06-23-2021, 02:55 PM
Kawhi went to the combine, and was at least measured, even if his ankle injury kept him from workouts. He wasn’t supposed to shoot,but he got bored waiting for some part of the combine, and picked up a ball, and started shooting. It was determined that minor changes could make him a good 3 point shooter. Kawhi also played 2 years of D1 ball, not scant minutes in Europe, scoring 4.7p/4.6r. Kawhi was NOT a complete unknown. This kid really is.

He looks good to me.

Sugus
06-23-2021, 03:14 PM
Same. His defense is billed as elite, and his body size is perfect for the modern NBA. He would definitely be enticing for a contender who needs a Lebron/Kawhi/Bam/Giannas stopper, so to speak. I wouldn't be upset if they grabbed him. His projections are all over the place. His below average shooting is obviously the concern, but maybe no worse than Giddey, to be honest. My theory is that for a small market team we are going to have to scrap and building around defense is probably a smart way to go. I'd probably take Moody over him, but he's young and showing great poise at a high stage already. Plus: he speaks Spanish! Ha.

I'm fucking sold, tbh

PhantomDashCam
06-23-2021, 04:04 PM
This kid has the motor and enough skill to build upon! He’s worth #12

I like Garuba too but would feel more comfortable grabbing him if I had multiple firsts.
Lots of swing skill question marks.
May be a Gerald Wallace or at worst, an MKG.

pad300
06-23-2021, 04:50 PM
... Kawhi was NOT a complete unknown. This kid really is.

There are lots of things to say about Garuba, but this just isn't true. He's been playing with Real Madrid in the ACB (the first team) for a couple of years. Draftexpress had an article on him back in 2016!

That said, I don't like him at 12, because he has a long way to go to be acceptable offensively in the NBA. It's not clear to me he will ever get there; his jumper (IMO of course) should be better. He's had 5+ years of professional coaching at RM. His jump shot may not be fixable.

rjv
06-23-2021, 04:56 PM
There are lots of things to say about Garuba, but this just isn't true. He's been playing with Real Madrid in the ACB (the first team) for a couple of years. Draftexpress had an article on him back in 2016!

That said, I don't like him at 12, because he has a long way to go to be acceptable offensively in the NBA. It's not clear to me he will ever get there; his jumper (IMO of course) should be better. He's had 5+ years of professional coaching at RM. His jump shot may not be fixable.

that's the biggest hesitation i have with garuba-picking him at 12 seems way too high; the spurs would have to trade down.

SpursDynasty85
06-24-2021, 07:17 AM
This is who we should take. His defensive potential is by far the greatest among the forwards we need, plus could already fit in as a good role player on offense. Spurs May need to move one of DJ, Keldon, Poetlt to create some more spacing if his jump shot is not ready within 2 years though.

The Truth #6
06-24-2021, 10:03 AM
This is who we should take. His defensive potential is by far the greatest among the forwards we need, plus could already fit in as a good role player on offense. Spurs May need to move one of DJ, Keldon, Poetlt to create some more spacing if his jump shot is not ready within 2 years though.

I like Garuba in general, but I can't see the FO moving those players to make room for Garuba before the season, and probably not later either unless he really shined right out of the gate. Like I said, I like Garuba, but I'm not expecting he will come in and surprise everyone with his offensive skills.

Atl Spur
06-24-2021, 01:24 PM
I like Garuba in general, but I can't see the FO moving those players to make room for Garuba before the season, and probably not later either unless he really shined right out of the gate. Like I said, I like Garuba, but I'm not expecting he will come in and surprise everyone with his offensive skills.

Can he be Clint Clapela today? I say yes....... can we use Clint Capela? I say yes! His effort is unreal matched with Dj, Tre, Devon , derricks , Keldons defense & effort how couldn’t you be optimistic?

Atl Spur
06-24-2021, 01:25 PM
Shooters are available in free agency.... move Lonnie now for a late first also

The Truth #6
06-24-2021, 02:12 PM
Shooters are available in free agency.... move Lonnie now for a late first also

If Pop is returning I would say yes to trading Lonnie, but with a new coach I’d wait. Of course they aren’t going to trade him, though.

Atl Spur
06-24-2021, 11:19 PM
We need to get back to defending, this guy has that in spades.

exstatic
06-25-2021, 06:45 AM
Can he be Clint Clapela today? I say yes....... can we use Clint Capela? I say yes! His effort is unreal matched with Dj, Tre, Devon , derricks , Keldons defense & effort how couldn’t you be optimistic?

He’s 6’8”, and wouldn’t shock me if he measured out shorter than that. You don’t use a lottery pick on a 6’8” rim runner with no discernible wing skills. If you’re just looking for a rim runner, get one that is the right size, Kai Jones or Isaiah Jackson.

SpursDynasty85
06-25-2021, 06:54 AM
He’s 6’8”, and wouldn’t shock me if he measured out shorter than that. You don’t use a lottery pick on a 6’8” rim runner with no discernible wing skills. If you’re just looking for a rim runner, get one that is the right size, Kai Jones or Isaiah Jackson.

This dude is the next Draymond with a possible 7’3” wingspan. His height seems every bit 6’8” if you’ve seen his side by side with Sengun. Having him and Samanic play our front court and disseminating the rest for our guards is a very futuristic line up on defense and versatile enough on offense.

exstatic
06-25-2021, 07:30 AM
This dude is the next Draymond with a possible 7’3” wingspan. His height seems every bit 6’8” if you’ve seen his side by side with Sengun. Having him and Samanic play our front court and disseminating the rest for our guards is a very futuristic line up on defense and versatile enough on offense.

If talent evaluators thought he’d even have a decent chance to be all of that, he’d be a top 5 pick.

ginobilized
06-25-2021, 08:20 AM
It comes down to defense vs offense for the Spurs.
If they are going for defense, Garuba is a serious consideration.
My gut is telling me they will choose a shooter/scorer.
Wagner check a lot of boxes. Best player available has been their mantra.
The Spurs will pick the player that brings some great skills and fits into their family system approach.

Atl Spur
06-25-2021, 09:04 AM

Sure you do, there is a place on any team for an elite defender with a high motor! He can switch onto guards as well as bigs, don’t poo poo on wingspan now! If he’s not your cup of tea cool but to act like you haven’t seen similar players thrive is being disingenuous.

Atl Spur
06-25-2021, 09:07 AM
You can’t teach relentless but you can help cultivate skill!

duncan2150
06-25-2021, 09:13 AM

Imo he's way more than just a rim runner, he can guard multiple positions, he can shoot the 3 ( still a work in progress but he was better at the end of the season). And don't forget the level of competition with Madrid.

dbestpro
06-25-2021, 09:16 AM
Today's NBA is all about the three. The rules have made defense and players with energy, even athleticism an after thought.

SpursDynasty85
06-25-2021, 09:45 AM
Today's NBA is all about the three. The rules have made defense and players with energy, even athleticism an after thought.

look at every team currently in the playoffs still. All of them have an energy, hustle, defender playing major minutes. Tucker, Beverly, Terence Mann, Capela, Crowder. Garuba will be much better defensively than most of these guys and still has plenty of offensive potential. Good bball iq will keep him on a path to improvement for many years too.

exstatic
06-25-2021, 09:57 AM
look at every team currently in the playoffs still. All of them have an energy, hustle, defender playing major minutes. Tucker, Beverly, Terence Mann, Capela, Crowder. Garuba will be much better defensively than most of these guys and still has plenty of offensive potential. Good bball iq will keep him on a path to improvement for many years too.
They all shoot the 3, or are bigger than Garuba.

You folks are extrapolating his BEST case, his highest ceiling. 6”8” prospects who fail to reach that usually bounce out of today’s league. That’s his floor, gone in 60 seconds.

dbestpro
06-25-2021, 10:01 AM
Garuba equals Dejuan Blair

SpursDynasty85
06-25-2021, 10:11 AM

You folks are extrapolating his BEST case, his highest ceiling. 6”8” prospects who fail to reach that usually bounce out of today’s league. That’s his floor, gone in 60 seconds.

lol none of those guys could shoot coming out the draft. Garuba could easily develop a three once he gets some training with Chip plus he already has a solid pick n roll game with good passing. Physically only Capela is as impressive than those I’ve mentioned.

Atl Spur
06-25-2021, 10:35 AM

I see what you’re doing....lol

Atl Spur
06-25-2021, 10:36 AM

Really.....I’m done.

Atl Spur
06-25-2021, 10:39 AM

Where should I start? On second thought I won’t.

exstatic
06-25-2021, 10:57 AM
Energy guys do exist in the NBA.

Please find one who was drafted 12 or higher, and then get a consensus of if he’s considered a bust or not from different online sources.

If you’re just looking for a 6’8” guy who can ball out, sign Renfro from the Austin club. He does almost everything on the court from intimidating blocks to dimes off the dribble, and won’t cost a lottery pick.

Atl Spur
06-25-2021, 01:50 PM

Please find one who was drafted 12 or higher, and then get a consensus of if he’s considered a bust or not from different online sources.

If you’re just looking for a 6’8” guy who can ball out, sign Renfro from the Austin club. He does almost everything on the court from intimidating blocks to dimes off the dribble, and won’t cost a lottery pick.

Two different players and body types.....

Degoat
06-25-2021, 02:03 PM
I like Garuba, would rather trade for a later pick to grab him tho. He’s gives me some Paul Milsap vibes

itzsoweezee
06-25-2021, 03:30 PM

Exactly. Spending a lottery pick on a D and no-3 wing/pf seems like a bad idea.

duncan2150
06-25-2021, 03:42 PM

they have nothing in common lol

duncan2150
06-25-2021, 03:44 PM

i think you undervalue garuba ceilling, maybe you're right but imo he could develop into a very complete player.

Atl Spur
06-30-2021, 09:42 AM
Anything new on this guy?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-07-2021, 11:38 AM
Man, I'd be nervous using the 12th pick on this guy. Might be a great project if he could be snagged further down in the draft. His offensive ceiling is just such an unknown. Might be a player that if chosen makes some GM look like a genius, and he just as easily could turn out to be a complete NBA bust.

As a defensive role player I'd grab Garuba quick later in the draft.

Mr. Body
07-07-2021, 11:43 AM
Not a lottery pick. Seems a super stretch there. He's the type you hunt for in the late 1st or early 2nd.

Atl Spur
07-07-2021, 12:39 PM
Not a lottery pick. Seems a super stretch there. He's the type you hunt for in the late 1st or early 2nd.

Anything outside of 10 is really a crapshoot anyway. He is an elite defender today......good enough for me.

exstatic
07-07-2021, 01:27 PM
Anything outside of 10 is really a crapshoot anyway. He is an elite defender today......good enough for me.
Thybulle is probably a better overall defender, and he’s unplayable for long stretches, because his offense is as bad as his defense is good. You have to have something going on, offensively, at an NBA level, or you won’t see the floor. Not playing means not developing.

Atl Spur
07-07-2021, 03:32 PM
Thybulle is probably a better overall defender, and he’s unplayable for long stretches, because his offense is as bad as his defense is good. You have to have something going on, offensively, at an NBA level, or you won’t see the floor. Not playing means not developing.

Let’s just bookmark this; this comparison may not age well.

SpursDynasty85
07-07-2021, 06:43 PM

He actually has a pick n roll game and is known to be a good passer. I’m cooling on Garuba at 12 after seeing more highlights of guys like Bouknight, Giddey, Sengun. I doubt Moody and Wagner drop to 12 IMO. I’d be ok with drafting Garuba and Duarte types with a trade down to probably 16-18 area.

cd021
07-07-2021, 07:32 PM
I worry about his offense specifically that he doesn't seem to be that athletic (at least vertically) limiting his effectiveness as a lob threat. That means he has to be an absolutely incredible defensive prospect to justify taking him 12th. He looks good on that end but Kai or Isiah Jackson project to be equally as good of defenders in my opinion and I like them better offensively, specifically Jackson.

Atl Spur
07-07-2021, 10:38 PM
I worry about his offense specifically that he doesn't seem to be that athletic (at least vertically) limiting his effectiveness as a lob threat. That means he has to be an absolutely incredible defensive prospect to justify taking him 12th. He looks good on that end but Kai or Isiah Jackson project to be equally as good of defenders in my opinion and I like them better offensively, specifically Jackson.

I like Jackson also.