PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-23-2021, 10:33 AM
As an UFA would you welcome him back to the silver and black?

I always feel like a team can benefit from the right veterans in the locker room, provided those vets aren't relied upon to provide too many minutes on the floor. For the right price, Danny might be a decent addition to the roster. He's got the Spurs' championship legacy to pass along to the young fellas that the team seems to value, and for what he brings, he's still not the worst option out there.

Question 2. Would you take him back over keeping Rudy or resigning Patty?

look_at_g_shred
06-23-2021, 10:45 AM
I would take him over Rudy for sure because he's not a player that tries to create his own shot (ISO Rudy) and at his age can quite possibly be an above average defender at best not elite let's not get crazy here. Vassell/Green Wingstop lite??

Dex
06-23-2021, 10:48 AM
In a vacuum, I would take Danny over Rudy at this point, but not with our current glut of young guards.

Danny was a great Spur who could provide some 3&D as well be a good vet in the locker room.

But any minutes he got would be taking away from Murray, White, Walker, KJ...maybe even Samanic if Spurs went super small. And that's even assuming DeRozan walks.

Unless we move some of those guys, I just don't see enough minutes to go around for all those wings. And Danny will probably be more interested in continuing to chase rings, and there are probably other contenders will still pay for his services despite his apparent decline.

JeffDuncan
06-23-2021, 10:52 AM
Nope. Danny just turned 34. Gimme youth.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-23-2021, 11:11 AM
In a vacuum, I would take Danny over Rudy at this point, but not with our current glut of young guards.

Danny was a great Spur who could provide some 3&D as well be a good vet in the locker room.

But any minutes he got would be taking away from Murray, White, Walker, KJ...maybe even Samanic if Spurs went super small. And that's even assuming DeRozan walks.

Unless we move some of those guys, I just don't see enough minutes to go around for all those wings. And Danny will probably be more interested in continuing to chase rings, and there are probably other contenders will still pay for his services despite his apparent decline.

My gut tells me our sole veteran presence might be Patty next season. I could see DeRozan moving on, and Rudy not being resigned. Danny is a good teammate, but yeah, he'd fall under the same criticism as our other vets by stealing minutes from our young guys. Back in the day it seemed like Pop could resist the temptation to trot the old guys out on the floor at the first sign of trouble a little easier.

I'm probably a little more on the Rudy bandwagon than some are. His ability to play the post in small ball makes him somewhat valuable, and I don't see teams lining up to sign him. But if we're not just looking to fill roster spots, I don't know that he's in the future plan.

Patty's pretty dug in in San Antonio, and he might actually be willing to sign a smaller dollar deal with a longer term to stay here. He doesn't really seem interested in ring-chasing.

My fear is that the Spurs resign Demar. Sometimes less is more, and even if the Spurs take a short-term step back by losing him, I think they'll be better off long-term.

Spurtacular
06-23-2021, 11:20 AM
LDN > Fatty

TDomination
06-23-2021, 11:56 AM
yes

lmbebo
06-23-2021, 12:04 PM
doesn't fit what we need ...

duncan2k5
06-23-2021, 12:15 PM
No... A 34 year old streaky shooter that can't dribble... Not good for us

The Truth #6
06-23-2021, 12:26 PM
The more important question: why would he want to return?

Chinook
06-23-2021, 12:27 PM
Yes. Obviously. He's exactly one of the things the team needs. He's just not everything the team needs. It's kind of insane that folks don't think after watching this year that the team needs solid-to-good positional defenders who can space the floor. That basically describes no one on the team except White on a good day. Obviously I'd prefer Vassell to develop or the team otherwise find a younger version of him, but there's no one currently on the team who should take minutes away from that.

Of course, if the team isn't planning on trying to make the playoffs or whatever and wants to use the cap space to try to get assets, then Green makes less sense. Even then, if Danny wants to come back just to finish up his career, he'd be a great mentor and glue guy for a young group that is at a risk of running off the rails with bad habits. I can't imagine how invaluable it would be for Walker to have the previous Whipping Boy with three rings sitting over at the next locker.

NASpurs
06-23-2021, 12:34 PM
I love DG but no. Pop would misuse him by making him a center playing 35 minutes a game. Fuck that.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-23-2021, 12:34 PM
He was a bum 5 years ago with an actual pg. OP is fucking my mom. :lmao

See, the way it works, is that you ask a question, and you discuss the thoughts of those who respond. I know for those who are challenged, like yourself, it's tough to understand the mechanics of the way dialogue functions.

tmtcsc
06-23-2021, 12:36 PM
I would take him over Rudy for sure because he's not a player that tries to create his own shot (ISO Rudy) and at his age can quite possibly be an above average defender at best not elite let's not get crazy here. Vassell/Green Wingstop lite??

There's way too much hate for Rudy in this forum and the Twitterverse. We all know he's a defensive liability but his role on this team was to score and get buckets. He understood that and went out there and did what was asked of him. Fuck no, I wouldn't welcome Danny Green back to the Spurs. He had his run but he's nowhere near the player he used to be and is very limited on offense. Still can't create off the dribble, can't shoot either. Not good enough.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-23-2021, 12:36 PM
Yes. Obviously. He's exactly one of the things the team needs. He's just not everything the team needs. It's kind of insane that folks don't think after watching this year that the team needs solid-to-good positional defenders who can space the floor. That basically describes no one on the team except White on a good day. Obviously I'd prefer Vassell to develop or the team otherwise find a younger version of him, but there's no one currently on the team who should take minutes away from that.

Of course, if the team isn't planning on trying to make the playoffs or whatever and wants to use the cap space to try to get assets, then Green makes less sense. Even then, if Danny wants to come back just to finish up his career, he'd be a great mentor and glue guy for a young group that is at a risk of running off the rails with bad habits. I can't imagine how invaluable it would be for Walker to have the previous Whipping Boy with three rings sitting over at the next locker.

You did see a dropoff in that Philly series by the Sixers when he got hurt. Even when he's missing shots he brings some intangibles, particularly on defense. And teams did learn to pack the paint on us as the season wore on. Anyone who can stretch the floor helps us.

slick'81
06-23-2021, 12:54 PM
Rather vassell learn the ropes tbh,no more stop gaps

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-23-2021, 12:57 PM
why would we do that to our beloved verde

BackHome
06-23-2021, 01:13 PM
Ummm no

R. DeMurre
06-23-2021, 01:14 PM
I can't see it. Green can still make money on a contender, and many contenders will want him, so I don't think he'll give that up to come back and be Pop's whipping boy again. If the Spurs were on the verge of contending I could understand, but otherwise I feel like it's just another excuse to take minutes away from Vassell, White, Walker, and KJ.

mo7888
06-23-2021, 01:29 PM
I can't see it happening myself. I do think he'd be a good mentor for Devin but I still think he can have a bigger role elsewhere. I'd rather focus on a young 4 and 2 in FA/trades...draft a high upside guy and full out the roster with a couple of professional old guys who are there to mentor and not expected to play much.

R. DeMurre
06-23-2021, 01:48 PM
Plus Danny has a chance to make history, winning rings with four different teams... That's a better scenario for him!

bigfan
06-23-2021, 03:00 PM
Great guy, was a very good player but no more oldsters please.

spurraider21
06-23-2021, 03:08 PM
i mean yeah, he's basically what we wanted Vassell to be last year

KimmyGib
06-23-2021, 04:02 PM
yes of course, but I can't see it happening. I expect green would've been a loyal spur for his whole career if they hadn't traded him. but I really doubt he'd want to return now to popovich country.

EricB
06-23-2021, 07:00 PM
As an UFA would you welcome him back to the silver and black?

I always feel like a team can benefit from the right veterans in the locker room, provided those vets aren't relied upon to provide too many minutes on the floor. For the right price, Danny might be a decent addition to the roster. He's got the Spurs' championship legacy to pass along to the young fellas that the team seems to value, and for what he brings, he's still not the worst option out there.

Question 2. Would you take him back over keeping Rudy or resigning Patty?
I’d definitely re-sign him, and we sign Patty to the Steve Kerr 03 role. Would let Gay go.

EricB
06-23-2021, 07:02 PM
yes of course, but I can't see it happening. I expect green would've been a loyal spur for his whole career if they hadn't traded him. but I really doubt he'd want to return now to popovich country.

he never wanted to leave.

Uriel
06-23-2021, 07:03 PM
I love Danny, but no. I hope the front office embraces a full-on youth movement this offseason.

pad300
06-23-2021, 07:14 PM
he never wanted to leave.

Yeah, but getting kicked to the curb tends to sour a relationship...

Ocotillo
06-23-2021, 07:54 PM
I am of the opinion the right older vets are invaluable to a team in the place of locker room, mentoring and just their presence. I liked what Jerome Kersey, Dominique and Mario Elie brought to this team when they came here but you also risk getting a Michael Finley or Nick Van Exel too. Add to that, Pop seems to rely on them to much nowadays (see Patty and Rudy this year).

Danny or Patty for that matter would be an asset on this team if playing the right role and not asked to do too much.

Interestingly, I was wondering about George Hill returning here as they were joking about him playing on playoff teams that fall short today on the radio but you just know Pop would overplay him at the detriment of some of the young guards.

exstatic
06-23-2021, 08:43 PM
I am of the opinion the right older vets are invaluable to a team in the place of locker room, mentoring and just their presence. I liked what Jerome Kersey, Dominique and Mario Elie brought to this team when they came here but you also risk getting a Michael Finley or Nick Van Exel too. Add to that, Pop seems to rely on them to much nowadays (see Patty and Rudy this year).

Danny or Patty for that matter would be an asset on this team if playing the right role and not asked to do too much.

Interestingly, I was wondering about George Hill returning here as they were joking about him playing on playoff teams that fall short today on the radio but you just know Pop would overplay him at the detriment of some of the young guards.

There are three former Spurs that I’m sad never got a ring: GHill, Terry Porter, and McDyess.

ducks
06-24-2021, 12:14 AM
Only if he brought leonard with him
So really Hell No

KaiRMD1
06-24-2021, 01:33 AM
Danny is regressing so hell no

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-25-2021, 10:16 AM

George Hill is interesting. I hadn’t thought about him. Hopefully we’ll have a season where White and Murray can both stay healthy, but as an insurance policy off the bench he’d be a good add. I also hope we see Trey Jones continue to improve.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-25-2021, 10:21 AM
There are three former Spurs that I’m sad never got a ring: GHill, Terry Porter, and McDyess.

Vets like Porter and Kersey were great role players for the Spurs. The right mix of youth and experience is good for a team. I don’t think our most recent roster had that right mix. All in youth movement is fine if our goal is to not be very good for a while. The reins need to be in the hands of the youth with the vets there as a support.

Capt Bringdown
06-25-2021, 10:53 AM
We need playahs, not bricklaying chokers.

koriwhat
06-25-2021, 03:02 PM
fuck no!

tim_duncan_fan
06-26-2021, 12:48 AM
Legacy-wise, he should retire here.

Philthemage
06-26-2021, 04:38 AM
We have more than enough formidable role players. I feel what we need is a star and our guys will more than be able to compliment.

MoSpur02
06-26-2021, 05:15 AM
No thanks.

I’d rather keep Gay, but to be honest I’d rather sign a younger vet than both Gay & Green.

RC_Drunkford
06-26-2021, 07:02 AM
was one of the biggest mistakes to trade him. This team still has no 3-and-D players

LittleCriminal
06-26-2021, 11:26 AM
fukkin sux!
I finished the thread title for you ed.

superbigtime
06-27-2021, 08:21 PM
Not just no but no way.

ElNono
06-28-2021, 12:07 AM
I mean, maybe there's a spot for him on the Austin Spurs, tbh...