PDA

View Full Version : Daily Dime

leemajors
11-18-2005, 02:20 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-051118
good point here:

As many observers have already noted, two divisions in particular seem absolutely loaded this year: The Central Division in the East, with Detroit, Indiana, Cleveland and Milwaukee, and the Southwest Division in the West, with San Antonio, Dallas, Houston and Memphis.

Early indications are that these divisions may very well house the two best teams in each conference. San Antonio and Dallas look head and shoulders above the competition in the West -- they sport the conference's two best records after Thursday's games -- while Detroit and Cleveland similarly sit atop the East. Seeing that juxtaposition, the fan in all of us immediately thinks, "Wow, wouldn't that make for a great conference finals."

Well forget it, because the NBA has assured that it won't happen. By setting up the playoff system so that the three division winners get the top three seeds in each conference, the league unintentionally created a system whereby it's virtually impossible for division rivals to meet in the conference finals. That's the case even if two teams from the same division are clearly their conference's cream of the crop, as appears to be the case this season.

a little early to determine cream of the crop (aside from spurs of course) but it does suck for a loaded division like the southwest.

sprrs
11-18-2005, 02:30 AM
So the playoff format recently changed then? I don't remember it changing my mind must be drawing a blank? The Spurs and Mavs faced onn in the conference finals in '03 so the format must have changed recently. :bang

TexasAggie2005
11-18-2005, 03:34 AM
It changed when the divisions were realigned (last year?) to make three divisions in each conference. Previously there were two divisions in each conference. Besides, it's still possible for us to play the Mavs in the conference finals, it's just not likely if one of us ends up with the best record in the West. We could've played them last year as a two seed.

DesiSpur_21
11-18-2005, 04:05 AM
Damn.. That sucks (esp for Mavs). They better fight for 6-7 spot and hope to win 2 rounds without HCA.

sprrs
11-18-2005, 09:40 AM
It changed when the divisions were realigned (last year?) to make three divisions in each conference. Previously there were two divisions in each conference. Besides, it's still possible for us to play the Mavs in the conference finals, it's just not likely if one of us ends up with the best record in the West. We could've played them last year as a two seed.

ohh ok I knew it had to have been recently. My memory's a bit fuzzy when it co mes to stuff like that

Extra Stout
11-18-2005, 12:06 PM
This is just one of the disadvantages of the current playoff setup. I noticed them all as soon as it was announced, owing to my ability to see the future.

The first problem is of course that teams who win weak divisions get an unfair advantage because they get the easy side of the bracket. And, the league suffers because relatively frequently the two best teams in a conference will meet in the conference semis rather than the conference finals.

Another problem is that if a division is really weak, it's possible to have a first-round matchup where a #6 seed has home court advantage over a #3 seed. This also creates a scenario where a team sitting in #5 position has an incentive to throw games in order to get a better playoff draw as a #6 seed. There will be a scandal where two teams start resting starters down the stretch in order to fall to #6.

All of these things will happen, and the league eventually will fix it by changing the seeding of division champions. Whereas now they are seeded 1-2-3, after the change they will only be guaranteed one of the top 4 seeds, and HCA in the first round.

By the way, the Spurs will win three more championships before Duncan retires.

Spurminator
11-18-2005, 12:46 PM
The main problem I have with the Playoff system, and it's not new, is that MORE THAN HALF OF THE TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

Hell, why don't we just let every team in?