PDA

View Full Version : Massive New Braunfels project unveiled

TheWriter
11-18-2005, 02:41 AM
Massive Comal project unveiled

Web Posted: 11/18/2005 12:00 AM CST

Roger Croteau
Express-News Staff Writer

NEW BRAUNFELS — Community leaders got their first look Thursday at a planned 265-acre mixed-use development that promises to be the largest of its kind in this city.

Creekside, planned for the northeast corner of Interstate 35 and FM 306, would include retail space, restaurants, a movie theater, hospital, medical office park, amphitheater, day spa, hotel and apartments.

In all, the $200 million project would include about 1 million square feet of development, rivaling the San Marcos outlet malls in sheer size.

The mixed-use development was introduced Thursday afternoon at a reception with community leaders and the developers.

"It's a huge opportunity for our city," New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce Economic Development Director Rusty Brockman said. "This kind of development provides not just jobs, but a broad range of tax base. It's a destination for people all over the area, kind of like the outlet malls in San Marcos."

But developer Jim Ray of Texas Commercial Investments said Creekside is "going after a completely different market" than the outlet malls.

Kenneth Lockard, president of Lockard Cos., Texas Commercial's partner in the project, said retailers are lining up to commit to locating at Creekside.

"The traction this project has gained so quickly, it is going to happen," he said. "This is an immense project, but we are moving quickly. I expect we'll be turning dirt in August or September and have stores open by Thanksgiving 2007."

The developers have proposed forming a tax increment financing district, which would divert the property tax created by the development to pay for road and drainage improvements needed at the site.

The developers have proposed extending FM 306 through their site. Local officials want to extend the road as part of an outer loop around New Braunfels.

"I think it's fabulous," Councilwoman Valerie Hull said. "It looks like a good, solid project. What more could you ask for?"

Monroe Miller, New Braunfels Economic Development Corp. board member, said the sales tax generated by Creekside would help the city fund other economic development projects in the future.

The intersection appears to be a hotbed for new development. H-E-B plans to build a new store, with an attached shopping center and pad sites directly across the highway from Creekside.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA111805.1C.bigdevelopment.1b76f24c.html

SWC Bonfire
11-18-2005, 09:23 AM
I've got to hand it to you, Writer, you are really enthusiastic about this stuff. :lol :tu

San Antonio
11-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Woo hoo! :elephant He's now stalking that slut New Braunfels! :spin

ObiwanGinobili
11-18-2005, 09:41 AM
and with that NB goes straight down the shiter. :(

small quaint town grows into medium sized consumer hell

SWC Bonfire
11-18-2005, 09:54 AM

Yep.

I spoke to a realtor who was eating in the one little store in my home "town" the other day... he said that currently around 1,000 people A DAY move to Texas.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2005, 11:34 AM
he said that currently around 1,000 people A DAY move to Texas.

It's ok. Only 10 of those are legal.

easjer
11-18-2005, 12:11 PM

's OK. It's still my hometown, still has Landa Park, my parents, my high school and Schlitterbahn, so I'm still desparate to move back.

I really want a new job. That pays enough to move back. Like, tomorrow.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Great, as if that little gap where it goes from 2-3 lanes wasn't backed up enough already, now we'll have the flock of soccer mom driven minivans to muck it up some more.

Vashner
11-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Yea that sucks.. I liked old school New Braunfels... at least they are not messing with the springs portion of the river.

Das Texan
11-18-2005, 02:50 PM
even more reasons to avoid 35.....what does new braunfuels actually expect to gain? I mean this will just further destroy what once made this place great.

Vashner
11-18-2005, 02:53 PM
NB lost a lot of jobs with the wheelchair factory slowing down. Medicare changed the rules to make it harder to get a motor chair. So they need jobs.

Oh well schlitterbahn is still the shiznat so... as long as they keep downtown strip looking old it will be sweet.
35.. that's a mess .. we need that bullet train to Austin.

SpursWoman
11-18-2005, 02:55 PM
NB lost a lot of jobs with the wheelchair factory slowing down. Medicare changed the rules to make it harder to get a motor chair. So they need jobs.

Oh well schlitterbahn is still the shiznat so... as long as they keep downtown strip looking old it will be sweet.
35.. that's a mess .. we need that bullet train to Austin.

Not only the Scooter Store, but there were a lot of major businesses that closed down right about the same time, including where I had worked for 7 years... :depressed

Vashner
11-18-2005, 03:05 PM
I scuba dive in the comal a lot. Maybe over 100 times in the past 10 years. Cleaning up beer can's and stuff. And doing drift dive training for Cozumel.

TheWriter
11-18-2005, 11:07 PM
KENS Video of the project:

http://www2.mysanantonio.com/multimedia/video/VideoPlayer/includes/gen_nod_wm.cfm?ids=34105

Dos
11-19-2005, 12:04 AM
there is a alot of development going on here in new braunfels.. alot.. from the home depot call center that just opened up, the ashley furniture distribution center.. and housing going up like wildfires all over the place... anyone traveling north towards austin can quickly see all this housing going up between austin and san antonio...

I imagine after a while this whole area will look like that area between san diego and LA.. just one huge metro-plex...

The sone
11-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Woo hoo! :elephant He's now stalking that slut New Braunfels! :spin

she is a slut...i totally nailed her after a pep rally last year.

shes not like you san antonio...your eyes...your lips...your city landmarks....ahhhhhhh. :makeout

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-19-2005, 12:38 AM
The Comal is great, I go on dive trips there a couple of times a year.

Though these days I'm too lazy to gear up and usually just snorkel it :lol

Dos
11-19-2005, 03:53 AM
I grew up on the upper untamed region of comal.. lol... couldn't have asked for a better childhood then that.... *S*