PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Biggest Asterisk Year Ever?

Kim Jong-il
06-24-2021, 08:54 AM
Shortened season, varying levels of fan support at games, COVID issues, and a crazy amount of injuries due to being rushed back. The 3 best teams (Nets, Lakers, Clippers) all kneecapped by injuries. Dark horse contenders like Denver lose a top tier player. Sixers stars hampered by inuries (Embiid meniscus, Simmons brain).

2021 might supplant 1999 as the biggest asterisk title ever tbh

Michael Jordan.
06-24-2021, 09:28 AM
2020 season. The bubble etc

Michael Jordan.
06-24-2021, 09:30 AM
Also no, Davis can’t stay healthy in a full season anyway. Harden stopped taking care of his body. Kyrie’s injury can happen on any play. Kawhi’s knees are walking timebombs. Sixers stars hampered by Simmons and Doc Rivers

Kim Jong-il
06-24-2021, 09:39 AM
Yeah but everyone was on an even playing field in the bubble. Everyone had ample time to prepare for the bubble, this year they all thought the season was delayed until February, only to be rushed back in December. And in the bubble it wasn’t one team with empty arenas vs a team that’s packed out.

Biggest asterisk years tbh are

1. 2021
2. 1999
3. 1994 (Jordan playing baseball)
4. 2020
5. 2012

Neo.
06-24-2021, 09:40 AM
94/95

suspended mike led to 2 fake titles

Michael Jordan.
06-24-2021, 09:51 AM
Yeah but everyone was on an even playing field in the bubble. Everyone had ample time to prepare for the bubble, this year they all thought the season was delayed until February, only to be rushed back in December. And in the bubble it wasn’t one team with empty arenas vs a team that’s packed out.

Biggest asterisk years tbh are

1. 2021
2. 1999
3. 1994 (Jordan playing baseball)
4. 2020
5. 2012
Lol guys were kicked out for going out or having people come in. Guys were either out with COVID or were playing with the effects of it. No it wasn’t level. That’s why Tyler Herro no longer looks like a superstar

Michael Jordan.
06-24-2021, 09:51 AM
94/95

Pretty sure they had a winning record against the Bulls (shrugs)

Kim Jong-il
06-24-2021, 09:55 AM
Lol guys were kicked out for going out or having people come in. Guys were either out with COVID or were playing with the effects of it. No it wasn’t level. That’s why Tyler Herro no longer looks like a superstar
That was one scrub on the Rockets :lmao thinking your team had a shot last year regardless

Michael Jordan.
06-24-2021, 09:56 AM
That was one scrub on the Rockets :lmao thinking your team had a shot last year regardless
That’s my point. I didn’t say they had a shot. In a regular post season, would that get you suspended? Though Lou Williams got suspended for going to the strip club

Neo.
06-24-2021, 10:04 AM
Pretty sure they had a winning record against the Bulls (shrugs)

lol regular season championships

Michael Jordan.
06-24-2021, 10:05 AM
lol regular season championships
95 there was no Horace Grant, so no one to stop Hakeem....94, still wouldn’t have mattered no one was stoppin him.

Dirks_Finale
06-24-2021, 10:07 AM
I don't think asterisk titles are a thing. And I'll bet Barkley, Malone and Ewing would all love one of them lol.

But as far as weaker titles go - nobody tops 2020. No fans and i don't even think the players, themselves, were that interested.

lefty
06-24-2021, 10:12 AM
94/95

MJ himself admitted he was glad Dream and Co didn’t get out of the West
Rockets were a terrible matchup for the Bulls

Neo.
06-24-2021, 10:28 AM
nah honestly ive always said houston would have beaten them, they were definitely a matchup issue. mike consistently got favorable finals matchups, which is a big reason for being undefeated in the finals. the teams in the east that had dominant bigs mostly had crappy supporting casts, houston was one of the few in the league that had a complete team surrounding the big

Robz4000
06-24-2021, 10:29 AM
2020 and it isn't particularly close.

LkrFan
06-24-2021, 10:38 AM

1999 son, periodt!

LkrFan
06-24-2021, 10:43 AM

Lakers played 71 games in 2020
Spurs played 50 games in 1999
Both rang under weird circumstances.
1999, self inflicted
2020, Trump inflicted

Which team deserves the biggest asterisk son? Don't lie.
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/64518780/make-a-choice.jpg

:lol

Leetonidas
06-24-2021, 10:46 AM
Last year was a huge asterisk which carried over to this season making it an asterisk season also imo. Hopefully things get back to normal next season

Leetonidas
06-24-2021, 10:47 AM
Lakers played 71 games in 2020
Spurs played 50 games in 1999
Both rang under weird circumstances.
1999, self inflicted
2020, Trump inflicted

Which team deserves the biggest asterisk son? Don't lie.
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/64518780/make-a-choice.jpg

:lol

The one that played in an empty gym with no fans and no travel for the entire playoffs tbh

LkrFan
06-24-2021, 10:49 AM
Shortened season, varying levels of fan support at games, COVID issues, and a crazy amount of injuries due to being rushed back. The 3 best teams (Nets, Lakers, Clippers) all kneecapped by injuries. Dark horse contenders like Denver lose a top tier player. Sixers stars hampered by inuries (Embiid meniscus, Simmons brain).

2020 and 2021 were both Trump inflicted. He allowed the Rona to wreck our country. He knew and "purposely downplayed it" and now 600K American souls are lost.

In 1999, it was a self inflicted CBA argument amongst powerful Caucazoids.

Either way, there were 71 games played last year and only 50 in 1999.

Doing the maths:

71 ÷ 82 = 86.5%
50 ÷ 82 = 60.9%

By the maths, Spurs 1999 title deserves the biggest, fattest *PERIOD

LkrFan
06-24-2021, 10:50 AM
The one that played in an empty gym with no fans and no travel for the entire playoffs tbh

Fans don't block shots
Fans don't rebound
Etc etc.

Signed,
Kobe

Besides, everyone had a shot at the Mickey Mouse rang in 2020. Only one did. :toast

LkrFan
06-24-2021, 10:53 AM
Last year was a huge asterisk which carried over to this season making it an asterisk season also imo. Hopefully things get back to normal next season

Blame David Dennison. I do :toast

Leetonidas
06-24-2021, 11:14 AM
Fans don't block shots
Fans don't rebound
Etc etc.

Signed,
Kobe

Besides, everyone had a shot at the Mickey Mouse rang in 2020. Only one did. :toast

But fans clearly do have an affect on the players performance tbh. It's not surprising at all that the Heat got swept when the real lights were on :lol they never should have been in the Finals to begin with, Lakers should be ashamed for not sweeping them last year

06-24-2021, 11:41 AM

this tbh

baseline bum
06-24-2021, 11:48 AM
nah honestly ive always said houston would have beaten them, they were definitely a matchup issue. mike consistently got favorable finals matchups, which is a big reason for being undefeated in the finals. the teams in the east that had dominant bigs mostly had crappy supporting casts, houston was one of the few in the league that had a complete team surrounding the big

95 Houston with Drexler would have for sure, don't really think 94 though with Vernon Maxwell the second option would have been enough.

baseline bum
06-24-2021, 11:49 AM
2020 and 2021 were both Trump inflicted. He allowed the Rona to wreck our country. He knew and "purposely downplayed it" and now 600K American souls are lost.

University of Washington said more like 900K victims of COVID-45.

Neo.
06-24-2021, 11:52 AM
the whole asterisk thing is stupid tbqh, especially when comparing situations where all teams were affected equally

the only time that asterisks make any sense is when major injuries clearly affect the outcome, such as 2015 warriors and 2019 raptors for some recent examples

regardless it's not the winning teams fault. no surprises there, they just went out an beat teams they were supposed to beat by shooting some shots and making more than their opponent.

but that's about the only situation where there is an unfair advantage that benefits one team and clearly affects the outcome. less games, bubble, that's all the same for everyone

baseline bum
06-24-2021, 11:53 AM

Problem is Embiid, Irving, Davis, and Leonard are all china dolls in normal years too and the Harden injury I blame on him becoming a fat piece of shit to force Houston's hand in dealing him.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-24-2021, 12:22 PM
Regular season gets an asterisk. These playoffs have been fine, IMO.

Personally I like the emergence of new stars and teams. Casual fans who haven't watched anything but Lebron and Curry the last few years probably hate this final 4, but these teams have earned it as much as any other year. An Atlanta - Phoenix final would be a big F.U. to all the NBA marketing that tends to just prop up the usual suspects. I love it.

ambchang
06-24-2021, 01:13 PM

But the league made sure Jordan was out to make the road easier for Houston. Payback for their troubles in the late 80s if you know what I mean.

Otherwise the league would have to retrain the refs to not give phantom call to Jordan and that would be hard to do.

MultiTroll
06-24-2021, 01:18 PM

R. DeMurre
06-24-2021, 03:33 PM
I rarely come downstairs here on Spurstalk, but when I do it almost always feels like 95% of the posters don't have even a shred of objectivity. Kinda funny in a way, I guess.

TD 21
06-24-2021, 04:05 PM

Can't tell if you're serious, trolling or a combination thereof, but as Neo. said, I don't know how there could be an asterisk when the circumstances were even.

'17, '18 and in particular '19, are the automatics ('15 is arguable). I know how much Stockholm Syndrome Spurs fans worship at Scumbag's alter and lust after him, but when a superstar player intentionally tanks his value culminating in a trade/team forming that otherwise would have never occurred, the credibility is instantly destroyed.

Robz4000
06-24-2021, 04:20 PM
Can't tell if you're serious, trolling or a combination thereof, but as Neo. said, I don't know how there could be an asterisk when the circumstances were even.

'17, '18 and in particular '19, are the automatics ('15 is arguable). I know how much Stockholm Syndrome Spurs fans worship at Scumbag's alter and lust after him, but when a superstar player intentionally tanks his value culminating in a trade/team forming that otherwise would have never occurred, the credibility is instantly destroyed.

We all hate Nephew and the Dubs, but last year's bubble championship was a joke. No fans, no travel, key players missing due to COVID, and four months rest beforehand? That's some bullshit right there.

Mark Celibate
06-24-2021, 04:23 PM
:cry :cry :cry Can't tell if you're serious, trolling or a combination thereof, but as Neo. said, I don't know how there could be an asterisk when the circumstances were even.

'17, '18 and in particular '19, are the automatics ('15 is arguable). I know how much Stockholm Syndrome Spurs fans worship at Scumbag's alter and lust after him, but when a superstar player intentionally tanks his value culminating in a trade/team forming that otherwise would have never occurred, the credibility is instantly destroyed. :cry :cry :cry

:lol TD with the butthurt goods per par etc

TD 21
06-24-2021, 04:34 PM
We all hate Nephew and the Dubs, but last year's bubble championship was a joke. No fans, no travel, key players missing due to COVID, and four months rest beforehand? That's some bullshit right there.

It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with the circumstances surrounding how those were won. I hated the Lakers are much as anyone for a long ass time, but you don't see me including any of theirs.

The problem with everything you're listing is that you're acting as if the Lakers somehow benefitted from these circumstances, instead of having to deal with them like everyone else.

Robz4000
06-24-2021, 04:43 PM
It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with the circumstances surrounding how those were won. I hated the Lakers are much as anyone for a long ass time, but you don't see me including any of theirs.

The problem with everything you're listing is that you're acting as if the Lakers somehow benefitted from these circumstances, instead of having to deal with them like everyone else.

They sure as hell benefitted from the rest and the lack of travel moreso than other teams due to the fact their roster was older and injury-prone.

Neo.
06-24-2021, 04:46 PM
They sure as hell benefitted from the rest and the lack of travel moreso than other teams due to the fact their roster was older and injury-prone.

sorry you often bring goods but thats just dumb

yes injuries are part of the game but to basically say its an unfair advantage when an "injury prone" team doesnt suffer injury is just absurd.

Robz4000
06-24-2021, 05:06 PM
sorry you often bring goods but thats just dumb

yes injuries are part of the game but to basically say its an unfair advantage when an "injury prone" team doesnt suffer injury is just absurd.

Didn't say it was an unfair advantage tbh, just that they benefitted from it moreso than other teams. Miami clearly had the most to gain from the bubble conditions, along with Denver imo; no way they come back from 1-3 deficits twice in a true playoff environment, especially against a far more talented team in the Clippers.

TD 21
06-24-2021, 05:22 PM

Even if true, that's a luck of the draw type thing more so than it is something shady going down.

Neo.
06-24-2021, 05:44 PM
Didn't say it was an unfair advantage tbh, just that they benefitted from it moreso than other teams. Miami clearly had the most to gain from the bubble conditions, along with Denver imo; no way they come back from 1-3 deficits twice in a true playoff environment, especially against a far more talented team in the Clippers.

on the other hand, you could argue that they never go down 3-1 to begin with if they had help from the home playoff environment, or didnt have the added energy from motivation to shut hostile crowds up

or for those who said teams like miami benefitted because they shot better from not being in hostile environments, then why didnt their opponents shoot better too? why were guys like paul george shooting so awful, if it was so easy to shoot in such a non-hostile environment?

even more, did miami really just shoot lights out like everyone claims? i mean not a single one of their rotation players shot 40% from three for the playoff run. they simply played excellent team ball, great defense and spo coached incredibly well. not sure how the bubble environment accounts for that

in the end, everyone had the same circumstances in an unfortunate situation.

baseline bum
06-24-2021, 07:38 PM

Meh Denver didn't win that series, the Clippers threw it away.

Kim Jong-il
06-24-2021, 08:09 PM
Truth tbh. It was basically a perfect scenario for an aging LeBron and always hurt AD. The bubble title honestly shouldn’t count. NBA titles shouldn’t be decided in empty gyms.

ambchang
06-24-2021, 08:19 PM
Shortened year asterisk:

No travel asterisk

No fan asterisk

Long mid year layoff asterisk

Summer camp type asterisk

Thread
06-24-2021, 11:47 PM
Only pussies & assholes lodge asterisks.

lefty
06-25-2021, 12:37 AM
95 Houston with Drexler would have for sure, don't really think 94 though with Vernon Maxwell the second option would have been enough.
Maxwell always played well vs MJ for some reason, he made him work and was a better defender than Dan Majerlol

lefty
06-25-2021, 01:11 AM
But the league made sure Jordan was out to make the road easier for Houston. Payback for their troubles in the late 80s if you know what I mean.

Otherwise the league would have to retrain the refs to not give phantom call to Jordan and that would be hard to do.

Oh I know what you mean

As for Jordan you’re right, refs wouldn’t have been able to officiate property, they were too used to bailing Jordan out

Thread
06-25-2021, 02:34 AM
Oh I know what you mean

As for Jordan you’re right, refs wouldn’t have been able to officiate property, they were too used to bailing Jordan out

You've nary room, lefty. Your club dipped your beaks into the gravy for years. C'mon, now, fess up. I was more than happy right next to you when Amare' went but Duncan stayed. We shook hands, high five-ed and carried on something fearsome. Then you told me to get lost, I wasn't welcome, your shit didn't stink, vamoose, and bye, Dale.

Stand the gaffe, lefty.

Thread
06-25-2021, 02:38 AM
I rarely come downstairs here on Spurstalk, but when I do it almost always feels like 95% of the posters don't have even a shred of objectivity. Kinda funny in a way, I guess.

Oh, definitely. I love the Spurs fans. They're #2. Suns fans #1, but these 2 fandoms are bereft of objectivity.

They were nurtured that-a-way, Spurs fan more so.

Thread
06-25-2021, 02:40 AM
Oh I know what you mean

Okay, now let amb talk and you nod like he nodded when you was talking, lefty. That's how they do it on the CNN. One talks, while the other one nods, then they switch off. Like clockwork.

Rummpd
06-25-2021, 04:17 AM
Fans don't block shots
Fans don't rebound
Etc etc.

Signed,
Kobe

Losing argument as farce of 2020 proved very nebulous as a more real season occurred (21) as soft as charmin DaQuit hurt his femine parts and LeRoid came up small.

DMC
06-27-2021, 06:09 PM
asterisks only matter to ring counters.

Johnsyounger
06-28-2021, 12:26 AM
2002 is the biggest **** season. NBA rigged WCF, more so than any other year.

DeRozan m8
06-28-2021, 06:26 AM
2020 by far...nothing else comes close.

Playing pick up ball for mickey mouse and no fans...that one just flat out isn't a ring.

Also...no AD...no success out West for that roided goon....not one single playoff win.
Couldn't even make the playoffs without AD

Mitch
06-28-2021, 07:32 PM
1. 1999
2. 2003
3. 2005
4. 2007
5. 2014

tbh

Mr. Body
06-28-2021, 07:48 PM
Last year was a joke year. They shouldn't bother counting the bubble 'championship.'

This year freaking everybody is hurt because Adam Silver cracked his whip on the players. Healthiest team will win.

Kim Jong-il
06-30-2021, 09:46 AM
With Giannis out too, this HAS to be an asterisk year tbh.

lebomb
06-30-2021, 12:26 PM
Lets see.........shortened season, no travel, no fans.

Are you ing kidding me? 2020 and its not even remotely close. That shiat deserves a few Asterisks. :rolleyes