PDA

View Full Version : Scenarios

Solid D
06-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Some of these may be undervalued (just guesses) as part of a longer-term deal, but what realistic rotation of 9 could you live with in 2003-04? Here's one.

Rasho Nesterovic ($2.8-3M?)
Tim Duncan ($13.3M)
Bruce Bowen ($3.7M)
Jason Kidd ($12M)
Tony Parker ($0.86M)
Manu Ginobili ($1.5M)
Malik Rose ($4M)
Stephen Jackson ($3M)
Kevin Willis ($1M)

Walton Buys Off Me
06-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Anybody see Nesterovic against the Lakers?

If the Spurs sign that soft sack of shit, then David Robinson probably will come back out of retirement.

Who in their fucking right mind would want Rasho Nesterovic playing on their team??!! I heard some goofball on another site suggest that for the longest time but I think it's crazy.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Rasho is stunningly undervalued.

He gets the full MLE at the least.

Solid D
06-17-2003, 09:44 PM
Okay, let's see one of your scenario samplings. The complaining do-nothings need not post in this topic.

Rasho just signed his 1-yr. $2.5 deal last year, so if you think he would be valued at the MLE, that would be a nice jump for him.

If I were spending $4.5M, I'd rather have PJ Brown as an undersized D-Rob replacement over Rasho, but I'm not sure the Spurs would have enough to get PJ and J-Kidd.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Rasho just signed his 1-yr. $2.5 deal last year, so if you think he would be valued at the MLE, that would be a nice jump for him.

That was his qualifying offer. The Knicks were willing to spend their entire MLE on him last year but Rasho and Tony Dutt wanted more flexibilty because Minny simply would've matched that offer.

Solid D
06-17-2003, 10:00 PM
If that's the case, you make a couple of good points, ChumpDumper. One stated and one unstated.

The unstated is Tony Dutt. If he is Rasho's agent, he would not likely sign with San Antonio based on Tony's past misleadings and antics.

Guru of Nothing
06-17-2003, 10:24 PM
My opinion on off-season maneuvers is a work of constant change. I will probably repeat myself in future posts, and I may change my mind. That said, here goes:

First of all, JO is my top choice. It's a no-brainer which I won't debate; but, there is no room for either party to hem and haw. The dollars are pretty straight-forward. I do waver on S&T involving Malik. On one hand, the team should not waver when weighing Malik vs. JO (no-brainer right?), but JO should not quibble over a "few" dollars when pondering his place in basketball history. Bottom line, if I gotta commit, move on to plan B if Malik is lost for the sake of JO.

Plan B: Kidd. As MM says, add talent and adjust. No need to split hairs over all the ramifications. Also, lost in all the talk about Kidd is his game. We all question his compatibilty issues with Tony Parker in the back court (a valid concern), but Jason Kidd has a game in search of a team. You think he's good now, but I think his game reaches a new level with the Spurs. My personal wish (and this is a good thing), if Kidd comes to SA, he averages 10 points or less per game. I could also see Tim's scoring average droppping with the addition of Kidd (again, a good thing). Picture this line-up in the 4th quarter, Duncan, Kidd, Parker, Ginobili and Jackson - a veritable tornado on the court.

Damn, plan B is starting to sound best.

Plan C: Payton. Three year contract, no more. Allows Parker to develop without feeling threatened. He's tough. He's hungry. Picture the 99 Spurs adding Elie, only Elie is an all-star caliber player. The Spurs cannot go wrong signing Payton for 3 years or less, plus if he comes in at around 8 million per, we get some hard to find cap flexibility.

Plan D: Honorable mention for E-Brand here. Won't happen. With Kidd and JO involved, everyone has to shit or get off the pot. Spurs can't wait 2 weeks for Sterling to announce his decision.

Plan F (as in FUCKED): Olowakandi. I'd rather take my chances with Malik and the draft, and keep dollars to ensure we keep Manu in the fold.

Plan F2: Brad Miller or Rasho: Just say no. My guess is they would look pretty sporty in the regular season, but they would not equal crap deep in the playoffs.

Okay, I'm gonna post this missive AND THEN proofread.

Adios.

Solid D
06-17-2003, 10:31 PM
Okay, I just saw this topic in the other FSP discussion rooms started by Kori entitled "Salary Cap Room". Good stuff.

pub237.ezboard.com/ffulls...=1&stop=20 (http://pub237.ezboard.com/ffullsportpressfrm9.showMessageRange?topicID=42.to pic&start=1&stop=20)

If Kidd isn't the right choice, for whatever reason, Jermaine O'Neal has some question marks even though he has tantalizing abilities and reigned supreme in the paint (NBA leader in playoff rebounds per game) in a losing cause against Boston.

One Serious Question: Would J.O. turn down the additional money leverage the Pacers would have (2.5% more in annual increases and an additional contract year) since he doesn't seem so focused on the ring (not like Jason Kidd appears to be)?

http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/oneal_190_jersey.jpg

Not so serious question: If the Spurs signed Jermaine O'Neal...and they played the Celtics...would J.O. tell everyone to clear the floor when they made too many turnovers, so he could go solo against Paul Pierce?

Jimcs50
06-17-2003, 10:34 PM
To heck with Kidd! He is a loser, he lost in Dallas, in Phoenix and in NJ. We need a DRob replacement.
In decending order, this is our objective:

1. O'Neal
2. Mourning(1 yr deal) and Maggette ( then go get Brand next year).
3. Miller and Maggette
4. Rasho and Maggette
5. PJ Brown and Maggette
6. Kandi and Maggette

Solid D
06-17-2003, 10:40 PM
Some interesting comments Guru-of .

I cannot see Duncan, Jack, Manu, Parker, and Kidd on the floor against a team with two bigs, unless there was a matchup against Nellie going small or something like that.

In Pop's guide-book, it says, "In the beginning...there was defense...and he saw that it was good and then he begat offense."

Perhaps PJ Brown could be had to go with Kidd....if they squeezed real hard.

Solid D
06-17-2003, 10:46 PM
Jim, don't you think Mourning is too big of a health-risk for the money, after what the Spurs went through with Sean?

Using your D-Rob replacement approach, O'Neal, PJ Brown, Brad Miller and Rasho are the choices , Kandi is not...in my book.

The only ones the Spurs could bring in of those 4 are PJ or maybe the Slovenian if they went the Kidd route.

Guru of Nothing
06-17-2003, 10:50 PM
One Serious Question: Would J.O. turn down the additional money leverage the Pacers would have (2.5% more in annual increases and an additional contract year) since he doesn't seem so focused on the ring

What sways my opinion was the interview with JO after the game which ended the Pacers playoff run. His dejection was painfully obvious - and it is the degree of dejection which makes me hope the Spurs land JO.

Dude is sitting on a $100 million contract, any way you slice it, and he is most unhappy. I'm thinking they can all quibble over a million here and there (drop in the bucket), but ultimately he wants to win.

Besides, it's a nice feather in his cap to replace the Admiral - former MVP, future Hall of Famer, and 2 time NBA champion - and CONTINUE THE TRADITION OF WINNING TITLES IN SAN ANTONIO.

Solid D
06-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Here is Kori's $40M cap scenario from the link mentioned above:

$40M Cap
Malik Rose - $4,760,000.00
Bruce Bowen - $3,733,333.00
Manu Ginobili - $1,543,500.00
Tony Parker - $856,200.00
Tim Duncan - $12,000,000.00
Roster Fill - $2,096,748.00
Total Paid - $24,989,781.00
Est. Cap - $40,000,000.00
Available Room - $15,010,219.00
Max Agent - $12,000,000.00
After Max - $3,010,219.00

Jimcs50
06-17-2003, 10:51 PM
Sean had a Kidney transplant, and he was more mentally unable to play than physically. Zo is a warrior and i realy feel he is in great shape and he will be so pumped about playing again, he will work extra hard to get in the best shape of his life. He would really want to play with Tim and win a championship, that I am sure of.

Guru of Nothing
06-17-2003, 10:56 PM
I cannot see Duncan, Jack, Manu, Parker, and Kidd on the floor against a team with two bigs, unless there was a matchup against Nellie going small or something like that.

Quick question:

What two bigs?

Solid D
06-17-2003, 11:07 PM
Quick question:

What two bigs?

Well...if Jack is the next largest Spur...

Dirk and Raef-Bradley
Ming and Mo
Gasol and Wright-Swift
KG and Loren Woods
Divac and Webber
Dampier and Fortson
Stoudamire and Williams
Rasheed and Davis, Randolph
even
Shaq and Slava-Madsen-or whomever would be a tough guard for Duncan and Jack or whatever zone you wanted to contrive.

and that's just some of the west.

Guru of Nothing
06-17-2003, 11:23 PM
My basketball IQ is pretty low, by I would not build a team to beat the likes of Raef Lafrentz, Shawn Bradley, Stromile, Lorenzen, Loren Woods (You are kidding, right?) Dampier, Fortson, Davis, Slava. Who da F are Mo and Williams? I'm too lazy to go look up rosters.

I'll take my chances with Duncan/Rose vs Shaq/Slava. That leaves Kidd/Bowen/Ginobili vs. Kobe/scrub/scrub.

Spurs win.

Solid D
06-17-2003, 11:29 PM
Actually Guru, I was addressing Jim's comments regarding a small lineup of Duncan, Jack, Manu, Kidd, and Parker. Defensively - that is a liability for anything beyond a novelty lineup.

Naturally, we all know that Tim and Malik in the frontcourt is a very serviceable pair against almost any team for good stretches of minutes.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2003, 11:41 PM
1.-T JO'Neal and re-sign Claxton
1.-T Kidd and big
3. Payton and big

Guru of Nothing
06-17-2003, 11:41 PM
Actually Guru, I was addressing Jim's comments regarding a small lineup of Duncan, Jack, Manu, Kidd, and Parker.

ACTUALLY, I think that novelty lineup was my idea.

It's got a few holes in it, matchup wise, but it puts a lot of pressure on the opposition. Sub Malik for Jackson, if it makes a difference.

Either way, I'm just shooting from the hip. Thus far you you have not taken me TOO seriously. Please continue to do so. I have lots of ideas and few deep thoughts.

Adios

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2003, 11:48 PM
Tim Duncan and Jason Kidd would be one rather sick combination. As pointed out by GoN the Spurs have the perimeter players who would nicely complement Kidd's game. Say what you will about Kidd but he came to play on Sunday night. He hung two losses on the Spurs with that team and was 6 minutes away from putting on a 3rd...on the road against the champs and one raucous crowd.

The Spurs would still be able to add a competent starting big should they be so fortunate as to add Kidd.

Jimcs50
06-17-2003, 11:55 PM
Actually Guru, I was addressing Jim's comments regarding a small lineup of Duncan, Jack, Manu, Kidd, and Parker. Defensively - that is a liability for anything beyond a novelty lineup.

That was not my lineup...I hate Kidd and never ever included him on a Spurs wish list.That was Marcus' wetdream

Jimcs50
06-17-2003, 11:58 PM
Say what you will about Kidd but he came to play on Sunday night. He hung two losses on the Spurs with that team and was 6 minutes away from putting on a 3rd...on the road against the champs and one raucous crowd.

That was not Kidd hanging two losses, that was shit FTs and TOs. The Nets averaged 37% shooting and 80 pts a game against SA.

spurster
06-17-2003, 11:58 PM
1.-T JO'Neal and re-sign Claxton
1.-T Kidd and big
3. Payton and big

I agree. Everything else being equal, I would prefer Jermaine, but the big factor is who will sign with the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2003, 12:02 AM
That was not Kidd hanging two losses, that was shit FTs and TOs. The Nets averaged 37% shooting and 80 pts a game against SA.

They still won two games and it took a Herculean 19-0 run to keep them from winning a 3rd on the road. Stop hating Kidd.

Jimcs50
06-18-2003, 12:10 AM
I hate Kidd and will hate him if he on the Spurs too. The Spurs have never gone after thugs before, so why start now? Why are we even talking about him??? We do not need a pointguard, we have two very good ones already We have a frontline of Malik and Tim and Bowen, that my friend is weak in the height dept and will not stand up to the rigors of the West next year. We need a huge body to replace a 7 footer, one that can play D and rebound in the post. He does not have to be a top 50 player, just a good bigman who can change shots, block some shot and get around 8-10 rebs/game. There are 5 to choose from.

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2003, 12:13 AM
Thinking like that leads to woeful mistakes like going with Michael Olowokandi over Jason Kidd. The Spurs won't have opportunities like this to add a player of Kidd's caliber every summer during the remainder of TD's career.

Mark in Austin
06-18-2003, 12:44 AM
When all is said and done, I think that Kidd and O'Neal both sign with their current teams. Given that, I would offer Zo a massive 1 yr deal to save capspace to go after Brand next summer. (or Garnett, but I think odds are he'll re-sign in Minny) Brand wouldn't necessarily require the MAX either - close to it though. It's realistic to think we would be in the ball park with an offer starting in the 9-10 million range.

I understand that there is the possibility that the Spurs woun't have quite enough money to offer the MAX next summer, given the fact that existing salaries will increase and we'll be adding Jack's contract (and possibly Speedy's) to the bottom line. But there are three wildcards next summer:
I already mentioned that Brand wouldn't necessarily demand the absolute MAX, despite being a David Faulk client.
The other two are that the TV deal is backloaded, so the cap will likely go up. Also, the CBA will be up for renewal, and there might be some changes in exemptions and how they count against the cap, actual cap computation, and/or lux tax computations.

My #2 option would be three year deals for Payton and Kandi - but only if the Spurs braintrust approved of Kandi. If they see something there, then I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

This would give them the flexibility to re-load in three years with another quality FA (but probably not enough room for a max free agent).

CosmicCowboyXXX
06-18-2003, 10:34 AM
I really like Zo but I don't see him leaving Miami this year...he has been on a 30 million dollar paid vacation the last two years courtesy of the Heat...considering that everything I have seen about him says he is a quality guy I expect him to resign with them for a one year vet minimum contract as a payback...Riles and the Heat management have been nothing but fair with him during his illness...I just can't see him bolting now...

Country Weeds
06-20-2003, 05:23 PM
The Spus have won two championships: One with an older, quick PG with no range on his jumpshot and the other with a 21 year old PG who has inconsistent bouts of offensive dominance and offensive offense. why change the formula and invest big money in a PG when that is not part of the formula.

Go big or don't go at all!