PDA

View Full Version : Woj: Chauncey Billups Frontrunner for Blazers HC Position Over Becky

BatManu20
06-25-2021, 07:25 PM
Looks like we might be hanging onto Becky after all.

rjv
06-25-2021, 07:28 PM
woj has spoken

GAustex
06-25-2021, 07:28 PM
That’s too bad that Becky is not leaving

Mr. Body
06-25-2021, 07:30 PM
NBA teams will probably do like the NFL with black candidates: pretend to be interested, but no way in hell will they hire her.

Robz4000
06-25-2021, 07:31 PM
Good. Hand her the reigns already PATFO.

KobesAchilles
06-25-2021, 08:33 PM
So that leaves Dantoni for us? Interesting…

koriwhat
06-25-2021, 08:41 PM

Fuck no!

slick'81
06-25-2021, 09:37 PM
She's getting closer .just not quite there yet

Dverde
06-25-2021, 09:55 PM
Well normally teams hire assistant coaches from good teams. Not always the case I know. I wouldn’t be surprised if she left for another assistant job.

The Truth #6
06-25-2021, 10:27 PM
I’ll take it as a win for us. Now, if Pop doesn’t return and Becky isn’t promoted, its very likely she isn’t going to return—coaches usually bring their own familiar faces along with them.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-25-2021, 10:34 PM
meanwhile :lol Jason Kidd :lol

Robz4000
06-25-2021, 10:40 PM
Fuck no!

Fuck yes. Who else would you want to coach this team?

ducks
06-25-2021, 11:18 PM
Good she will replace pop
Pop step down or get your Fired

spurs10
06-26-2021, 12:04 AM
Good she will replace pop
Pop step down or get your Fired
pop is There alligateor.

koriwhat
06-26-2021, 02:33 PM
Fuck yes. Who else would you want to coach this team?

Not sure atm but def not a woman. No grown man in that environment is realistically going to heed the direction of any woman whose skillset is .00000000000000000001% on the court prior or present to their coaching tenure. I might be wrong but like I've stated previously, I wouldn't listen to someone who bricks 1000 out of 1001 shots and who can't even reach the hoop without a ladder. There's no comparison between the WNBA and the NBA and with that said there's no experience from the WNBA that will lead to a winning % in the NBA. She did good in Summer League but so did that fat dude who used to coach our summer league team so it's a wash.

Chinook
06-26-2021, 02:43 PM
Becky could almost certainly dominate Pop on a basketball court, but players still listen to him. Plenty of people in the real world deal with bosses who don't know how to do their employees' jobs. But some of those bosses know how to do their own jobs well, and so long as there is mutual understanding, it's fine.

There's no reason why basketball skill gets in the way of having eyes and knowing tendencies. You want to tell me NBA players are just too sexist to listen to a woman, that might be true. But it's not a justifiable conclusion on their parts.

Mr. Body
06-26-2021, 02:45 PM
Not sure atm but def not a woman. No grown man in that environment is realistically going to heed the direction of any woman whose skillset is .00000000000000000001% on the court prior or present to their coaching tenure. I might be wrong but like I've stated previously, I wouldn't listen to someone who bricks 1000 out of 1001 shots and who can't even reach the hoop without a ladder. There's no comparison between the WNBA and the NBA and with that said there's no experience from the WNBA that will lead to a winning % in the NBA. She did good in Summer League but so did that fat dude who used to coach our summer league team so it's a wash.

Impressively shitty take, not just in extreme stupidity but in the variety. 10/10. Well done.

koriwhat
06-26-2021, 02:48 PM
Becky could almost certainly dominate Pop on a basketball court, but players still listen to him. Plenty of people in the real world deal with bosses who don't know how to do their employees' jobs. But some of those bosses know how to do their own jobs well, and so long as there is mutual understanding, it's fine.

There's no reason why basketball skill gets in the way of having eyes and knowing tendencies. You want to tell me NBA players are just too sexist to listen to a woman, that might be true. But it's not a justifiable conclusion on their parts.

She might be able to dominate Pop right at this moment but I'd lay odds he'd dominate her in his prime back when he played ball even though it wasn't NBA ball. It's like this whole trans shit; who the fuck doesn't think a dude in a dress will dominate women at their own game? It's a different sport with the same name of basketball but it's played way different, with different skillsets, and different advantages strength wise.

I just don't think grown men making millions give af what some woman has to say to them about a game she could only play at a YMCA level. I wouldn't doubt a middle school/high school boys team would beat a WNBA team at their own game just like the US Women's Soccer team got their asses handed to them by boys half their age.

tmtcsc
06-26-2021, 02:50 PM
Well normally teams hire assistant coaches from good teams. Not always the case I know. I wouldn’t be surprised if she left for another assistant job.

She needs to.

Robz4000
06-26-2021, 02:52 PM

:lol wow

koriwhat
06-26-2021, 02:53 PM
Impressively shitty take, not just in extreme stupidity but in the variety. 10/10. Well done.

You say this now but reality doesn't care that you want to be PC about this subject. Becky has some knowledge of the game like fundamentals and that can take her only so far. I still don't believe most NBA players will give a damn to listen to a woman whose skillset is mediocre at best and nowhere close to the skillset by the worst player in the NBA currently.

koriwhat
06-26-2021, 02:55 PM
:lol wow

I said the same at the 1 WNBA game I went to where I was bored out of my mind for the entirety of that game watching women brick every damn shot. I was so damn bored... Not only that but tell me the last time row 10 seats at a finals was only $5, less than the $8 parking fee outside, in the NBA?

That game those women play in the WNBA is nothing close to what they play in the NBA. There's no comparison other than a ball and a hoop.

Robz4000
06-26-2021, 03:01 PM
I said the same at the 1 WNBA game I went to where I was bored out of my mind for the entirety of that game watching women brick every damn shot. I was so damn bored... Not only that but tell me the last time row 10 seats at a finals was only $5, less than the $8 parking fee outside, in the NBA?

That game those women play in the WNBA is nothing close to what they play in the NBA. There's no comparison other than a ball and a hoop.

Not denying the WNBA is boring, but that doesn't mean women don't know how to play basketball. Some of the greatest minds in sports history never made it to the big leagues of their respective sports.

GAustex
06-26-2021, 03:02 PM
Some it seems are irritated that Portland went with Billips due to past sex assault charges I believe that were settled out of court.

koriwhat
06-26-2021, 03:05 PM
Not denying the WNBA is boring, but that doesn't mean women don't know how to play basketball. Some of the greatest minds in sports history never made it to the big leagues of their respective sports.

I'm not saying she doesn't know "basketball" but I am saying she knows a different kind of basketball which isn't at the NBA level and that right there is the problem. The WNBA level is merely middle school/high school level play and nothing more. I don't see how that translates to coaching grown men who are head and shoulders above her skillset and bball IQ already coming into the league. She might have more brains in fundamentals but nothing else as far as bballIQ goes considering she hasn't had to game plan for most things seen in the NBA.

I mean I'm good with her coaching some other NBA team but I wish she'd leave the Spurs already and this PC bs would end.

HankChinaski
06-27-2021, 09:30 AM
If she is able to deconstruct film and point out errors in players actions sequence to sequence and also offer constructive criticism in how adjusting further actions in future situations moving forward.

I mean who cares what is between her legs. If they make a valid point you can't argue against it. If this is a room of grown ass men and they can't take women seriously it is just very sad an childish

Observe, evaluate, prepare and execute. She doesn't do it all on her own that is what assistants are for and why you have scouts and general managers.

It really just boils down to more than just the players can she earn and receive the respect of the rest of the staff as well as the players.

I dunno we have very little context in what happens behind the scenes with the spurs.

mo7888
06-27-2021, 11:51 AM
I think Becky can handle the x"s and o's just fine. I'm not concerned in the least when it comes to her ability to construct plays or deconstruct what other teams are doing. My concern is if she can relate and inspire players to hit that next gear in crunch time and will those players have confidence in her to do so. Now that concern could apply to any first time coach regardless of gender but, since she'd be the 1st female head coach it's more relevant because there's no professional track record (or college for that matter) to prove a hypothesis. So, if we go that direction I'm good with it but I would have concerns because I don't have data to lean on...

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-27-2021, 03:24 PM
even *if* one could say that men generally are better at being NBA head coaches than women ...

because there are 0 women head coaches ... if you got the #1 best women head coach, seems the maths are behind you that the #1 woman would be better than most of the men ... ie you could capitalise on women coaches being 'unscouted'

like drafting argies and euros back in the day

koriwhat
06-27-2021, 03:31 PM
My concern is if she can relate and inspire players to hit that next gear in crunch time and will those players have confidence in her to do so.

This is my concern as well as a woman never ever reaching 1% the skillset of any player currently in the NBA or prior. I just don't think at that level, head coach, that most of those NBA men will give af what she has to say. I could be wrong though because she did quite well in Summer League some yrs back.

All of this is a culmination of the times we're in and as a society we're trying to blur those lines further between the sexes.

HankChinaski
06-27-2021, 05:02 PM
I don't know if she is the best option for Head Coach, I just wanted to state that it shouldn't be regarded as a bad option just because of not playing in a "Man's Game" and "Lack of Respect because of Gender". Outside eof the spurs organization I can see other fronr offices having that hesitation but with regards to the spurs themselves they have first hand knowledge how the players respond to her during practice, film, an locker room in between halves.

The real flaw with her is her out experience comes from as an assistant coach an never as a head coach for any organization (WNBA, NCAA, NBA) so who knows what how well she will do.

She had a good showing a few summers back in the summer league, but that is a small sample size.

I wouldn't consider her a no, but I do agree there is some question marks regarding her ability to fully compliment a bench as a head coach.

pad300
06-27-2021, 05:41 PM
even *if* one could say that men generally are better at being NBA head coaches than women ...

because there are 0 women head coaches ... if you got the #1 best women head coach, seems the maths are behind you that the #1 woman would be better than most of the men ... ie you could capitalise on women coaches being 'unscouted'

like drafting argies and euros back in the day

Don't quit your day job, your ability as a mathematician will not support you...

I am not for or against Becky as a HC; I am however, confident that if Pop was leaving, there would have been some sort of announcement...

Racspur1
06-27-2021, 07:37 PM

Not quite yet but definitely !!!

Jordan Jackson
06-27-2021, 07:39 PM
Dame hanging out with Pop and drinking wine all summer should be cause for concern if I’m the Blazers. Yeah he might not force his way to the Spurs - but being around winning/winners is going to make him reevaluate that shit show going on in Portland and start looking elsewhere.

Racspur1
06-27-2021, 07:40 PM
So that leaves Dantoni for us? Interesting…

God Please NO !!!

K...
06-27-2021, 07:46 PM
lmao so steve nash, luke walton, and chauncy are bad hires because they went from point guard to coach but if becky did it it's covered in cooties. lmao

KobesAchilles
06-27-2021, 09:19 PM
God Please NO !!!
Fans here acting like we are title contenders :lol
Besides not winning a title, what is wrong with him?

Dex
06-28-2021, 10:35 AM
Billups had been considered the leading Portland candidate for months, but it does appear that both Brooklyn assistant Mike D'Antoni and San Antonio assistant Becky Hammon were legitimate finalists to fill Portland's vacancy. D'Antoni was billed as the choice somewhere in the middle, a noted offensive guru that could boost Lillard's production and vault him into a legitimate MVP conversation.

Hammon impressed Portland officials and was generally liked among Blazers staffers, sources said. But when Portland reached out for intel from San Antonio figures, the background on Hammon was not nearly as complimentary pertaining to various aspects of day-to-day coaching responsibilities. That sentiment has been echoed by sources around the league. Blazers personnel then cast doubt that Hammon was the candidate to steer the ship through such delicate waters with Lillard.

Blazers chair Jody Allen was the strongest champion for Hammon, sources said. Allen was energized by the idea of hiring the first female head coach in NBA history, also evidenced by the team contacting South Carolina women's basketball head coach Dawn Staley.

Source: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2945304-inside-the-highly-scrutinized-nba-head-coaching-hires-in-portland-dallas

K...
06-28-2021, 10:44 AM
I think this is just damage control from the blazers or becky herself. Why would the spurs leak about their own coach. If the source is trying to say "we asked about head coaching experience and she had little" or "we don't think a lesbian can be player friends with our dissatisfied star" it would be more believable. Who vouched for chaucy's excellent game management?

Jordan Jackson
06-28-2021, 10:47 AM
I think this is just damage control from the blazers or becky herself. Why would the spurs leak about their own coach. If the source is trying to say "we asked about head coaching experience and she had little" or "we don't think a lesbian can be player friends with our dissatisfied star" it would be more believable. Who vouched for chaucy's excellent game management?

Blazers are in damage control mode. No need to drag the Spurs into this PR nightmare. They hired Billups they need to own it.

dbestpro
06-28-2021, 10:50 AM
So Blazers not only hire a suspected rapist they also throw Becky under the bus. Portland sure is a confused city.

K...
06-28-2021, 10:53 AM
Also lmao at "we interviewed the other even less experienced woman coach as well".

Chomag
06-28-2021, 10:56 AM
My take on Becky is that we don't really know much about her as a coach yet, she needs to be an assistant on an actually good winning team for another year or two. I love my Spurs but he m not blinded by that where I know they aren't that and haven't been for awhile.

rjv
06-28-2021, 11:06 AM
also. i love the amorphous quality of "san antonio figures"-that could mean just about anyone.

tmtcsc
06-28-2021, 11:10 AM
I think Becky can handle the x"s and o's just fine. I'm not concerned in the least when it comes to her ability to construct plays or deconstruct what other teams are doing. My concern is if she can relate and inspire players to hit that next gear in crunch time and will those players have confidence in her to do so. Now that concern could apply to any first time coach regardless of gender but, since she'd be the 1st female head coach it's more relevant because there's no professional track record (or college for that matter) to prove a hypothesis. So, if we go that direction I'm good with it but I would have concerns because I don't have data to lean on...

Those concerns are legit and quite frankly, I don't know how good a coach she is. I don't know anything about her work ethic or what she's good at. Has she spent time game-planning for other teams? How much time has she spent in the video room breaking down film? Is she going to be another Mark Jackson? A little cheerleader in the huddle hoping her assistants draw up plays? What does she bring to the table as a coach? At a minimum, she better be great at the x's & o's stuff. The real questions revolve around how she'll be received by mostly young black men in the locker room. Will they respect her at any level? As a woman, as a coach, as a motivator? Will they allow themselves to be coached and or yelled at in front of their boys? If you think that stuff isn't a thought, you're not paying attention. We know by now there are a lot of young, poorly educated, immature dudes in this league.

If Luka Doncic has a problem respecting or getting along with an excellent coach like Rick Carlisle, what's in store for a woman? I don't think we'll see a female coach for a long time. We should see a female GM first. Let a female have that sort of power first and build their teams.

tmtcsc
06-28-2021, 11:37 AM
Source: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2945304-inside-the-highly-scrutinized-nba-head-coaching-hires-in-portland-dallas

Beautiful, thank you. There it is.

tmtcsc
06-28-2021, 11:49 AM
So Blazers not only hire a suspected rapist they also through Becky under the bus. Portland sure is a confused city.

Or they actually did their homework on both candidates because Dame is unhappy. Hiring a first time head coach that will bring a lot of publicity may not be wise.

Dejounte
06-28-2021, 12:21 PM
All these mysogynistic comments are disturbing. Stop trying to decide when people will be “ready” for a female coach. People need to adapt to the times.

GAustex
06-28-2021, 12:25 PM
Be living in fantasy world I see

Collins21
06-28-2021, 12:29 PM
All these misogynistic comments are disturbing. Stop trying to decide when people will be “ready” for a female coach. People need to adapt to the times.

Man shut up it's soft dudes like you that make this shit worse. It's not misogynistic to question if young men will respect or listen to a first time female coach. Why is it that soft as men always feel the need to call other men misogynists just because they don't get down on fours and worship women.

GAustex
06-28-2021, 12:31 PM
Be living in fantasy world I see

Dejounte
06-28-2021, 12:33 PM
Man shut up it's soft dudes like you that make this shit worse. It's not misogynistic to question if young men will respect or listen to a first time female coach. Why is it that soft as men always feel the need to call other men misogynists just because they don't get down on fours and worship women.

:lmao
Man, so much insecurity. No one is saying to get down and worship women. Holy shit.

The fact that you have to go from 0 to 100 says everything.

Dex
06-28-2021, 12:38 PM
also. i love the amorphous quality of "san antonio figures"-that could mean just about anyone.

"The guy who runs the taco truck on Nacogdoches told me."

tmtcsc
06-28-2021, 01:32 PM

You want them to name the former coaches and players who gave their feedback in supposed confidence? Why is it so hard to understand that people say one thing in front of the camera because they are towing the company line & loyal to a coaching fraternity but saying something entirely different in private? Why do you think Mark Jackson doesn't have a coaching job after Golden State? Why can't Kareem Abdul Jabbar get a head coaching gig? How about Patrick Ewing? Maybe they're colossal pricks to work with, that's why. Perhaps they've been black-balled. No one will go on the record and say it. If you don't play the game right, you won't play.

In Becky's situation, there's a good chance her hype is a combination of being media-driven due to her gender and SOME people saying the right things when their names are attached to it. Why exactly did the Celtics hype her & then promptly hire Udoka? Did she even get an interview? Why didn't Udoka reach out to her instead of Hardy if she's such a hot commodity? Read between the lines.

rjv
06-28-2021, 01:44 PM
You want them to name the former coaches and players who gave their feedback in supposed confidence? Why is it so hard to understand that people say one thing in front of the camera because they are towing the company line & loyal to a coaching fraternity but saying something entirely different in private? Why do you think Mark Jackson doesn't have a coaching job after Golden State? Why can't Kareem Abdul Jabbar get a head coaching gig? How about Patrick Ewing? Maybe they're colossal pricks to work with, that's why. Perhaps they've been black-balled. No one will go on the record and say it. If you don't play the game right, you won't play.

In Becky's situation, there's a good chance her hype is a combination of being media-driven due to her gender and SOME people saying the right things when their names are attached to it. Why exactly did the Celtics hype her & then promptly hired Udoka? Why didn't Udoka reach out to her instead of Hardy if she's such a hot commodity? Read between the lines.

i'm reading the lines, not between them and it's odd that the reporter used the phrase 'figures'. it's obtuse and tells us nothing. had it said "previous member of the coaching staff, players, scouts"..anything. there are no specifics here. none. back in the day, this doesn't even go to print.

D-Robinson 50 fan
06-28-2021, 01:59 PM
Will Hardy bounced to Boston with Ime Udoka.

DAMN

BacktoBasics
06-28-2021, 02:39 PM

In Becky's situation, there's a good chance her hype is a combination of being media-driven due to her gender and SOME people saying the right things when their names are attached to it. Why exactly did the Celtics hype her & then promptly hired Udoka? Why didn't Udoka reach out to her instead of Hardy if she's such a hot commodity? Read between the lines.
Let’s also acknowledge that there are no shortage of guys who objectify woman so much so that they think putting gifs of them in their signature and butts in their avatars isn’t a misogynistic expression of their manhood.

…or lack of.

rjv
06-28-2021, 02:43 PM
Let’s also acknowledge that there are no shortage of guys who objectify woman so much so that they think putting gifs of them in their signature and butts in their avatars isn’t a misogynistic expression of their manhood.

…or lack of.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFDU7uqOBGK3FmiAGcj-zDdtLChcA-SjkDAQ4BvGaQYx5DWAnCw-ORQt2bGV96P3aQfIY&usqp=CAU

Sugus
06-28-2021, 03:09 PM
:lmao posters falling for the obvious hit job piece on Becky and using it to justify their already self-assured misogynistic beliefs of her. You'd think people would be less gullible after the myriads of non-story hit pieces we've seen through the years, and especially in a case like this with the Pacers' PR disaster, but alas...

tmtcsc
06-28-2021, 03:13 PM

…or lack of.

Lol, says the dickhead with an avatar of a heart saying "I FUCKING LOVE YOU BITCH". Unless of course you're referring to your cell mate.

Robz4000
06-28-2021, 03:14 PM
:lmao posters falling for the obvious hit job piece on Becky and using it to justify their already self-assured misogynistic beliefs of her. You'd think people would be less gullible after the myriads of non-story hit pieces we've seen through the years, and especially in a case like this with the Pacers' PR disaster, but alas...

:lol not a coincidence most of them are Trumpers

Sugus
06-28-2021, 03:22 PM
My take on Becky is that we don't really know much about her as a coach yet, she needs to be an assistant on an actually good winning team for another year or two. I love my Spurs but he m not blinded by that where I know they aren't that and haven't been for awhile.

Uh, she was hired by the Spurs in 2014, and I'd say that '14 team was pretty good. Not to mention posterior 60-win seasons with LMA and Nephew where she was also AC. It's kind of not her fault the Spurs aren't good enough right now to give her more "experience on good teams".

Why is it so hard to understand that people say one thing in front of the camera because they are towing the company line & loyal to a coaching fraternity but saying something entirely different in private?

In Becky's situation, there's a good chance her hype is a combination of being media-driven due to her gender and SOME people saying the right things when their names are attached to it.

Yeah, Becky's absolutely only praised when people are "in front of the cameras". It's not like multiple people who have nothing to gain from praising her, have done so through the years, many unrelated to the Spurs. It's not like a HoF player like Pau Gasol would write a literal open letter, without prompt nor gain, highlighting her coaching capabilities... Oh wait, but he did -

"I’ve played with some of the best players of this generation … and I’ve played under two of the sharpest minds in the history of sports, in Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. And I’m telling you: Becky Hammon can coach. I’m not saying she can coach pretty well. I’m not saying she can coach enough to get by. I’m not saying she can coach almost at the level of the NBA’s male coaches. I’m saying: Becky Hammon can coach NBA basketball. Period."

GTFO with your assumptions, my guy. The fact is that the world doesn't abide by your narrow, conservative, outdated views - and it's somehow always Americans failing to grasp this beautiful, simple concept...

BacktoBasics
06-28-2021, 03:29 PM
Lol, says the dickhead with an avatar of a heart saying "I FUCKING LOVE YOU BITCH". Unless of course you're referring to your cell mate.

A misogynist goes right into the antiquated belief that calling someone “gay” still resonates in 2021.

Nice work bitch.

Jordan Jackson
06-28-2021, 03:32 PM

In Becky's situation, there's a good chance her hype is a combination of being media-driven due to her gender and SOME people saying the right things when their names are attached to it. Why exactly did the Celtics hype her & then promptly hire Udoka? Did she even get an interview? Why didn't Udoka reach out to her instead of Hardy if she's such a hot commodity? Read between the lines.

Will Hardy is a ‘hot commodity’ and he’s been turned down for HC jobs every off-season. This is his fist shot outside of the Spurs. And it’s an asst. job.

So what exactly are we reading between the lines.

Ime been with the Spurs 6 seasons and kept getting passed over for HC jobs. Finally landing in BK as and asst. coach. We reading between those lines too.

tmtcsc
06-28-2021, 03:34 PM
A misogynist goes right into the antiquated belief that calling someone “gay” still resonates in 2021.

Nice work bitch.

Sorry to out you my gal/guy, he/she whatever you identify as. We can all agree you're a lonely, sad loser.

tmtcsc
06-28-2021, 03:37 PM
Will Hardy is a ‘hot commodity’ and he’s been turned down for HC jobs every off-season. This is his fist shot outside of the Spurs. And it’s an asst. job.

So what exactly are we reading between the lines.

Ime been with the Spurs 6 seasons and kept getting passed over for HC jobs. Finally landing in BK as and asst. coach. We reading between those lines too.

We're reading she isn't ready to be a head coach despite all the positive comments.

BacktoBasics
06-28-2021, 03:46 PM
Sorry to out you my gal/guy, he/she whatever you identify as. We can all agree you're a lonely, sad loser.

Lol @ you trying to double down on calling me gay. You gonna drop the N word next?

rjv
06-28-2021, 04:19 PM

well-this is the same country that depends on one america news and alex jones to justify it's batshit crazy beliefs so...

tmtcsc
06-28-2021, 04:50 PM
Lol @ you trying to double down on calling me gay. You gonna drop the N word next?

Nah precious, it was the L word. Now crawl back to your safe space and suck on a....thumb? Yeah, lets say thumb. By the way, you need to look up the word misogynist. It describes you & your life choices perfectly or you don't understand what it means...unless of course I'm conversing with "Pat" or "Butch" over here.

tmtcsc
06-28-2021, 05:01 PM
Uh, she was hired by the Spurs in 2014, and I'd say that '14 team was pretty good. Not to mention posterior 60-win seasons with LMA and Nephew where she was also AC. It's kind of not her fault the Spurs aren't good enough right now to give her more "experience on good teams".

Yeah, Becky's absolutely only praised when people are "in front of the cameras". It's not like multiple people who have nothing to gain from praising her, have done so through the years, many unrelated to the Spurs. It's not like a HoF player like Pau Gasol would write a literal open letter, without prompt nor gain, highlighting her coaching capabilities... Oh wait, but he did -

"I’ve played with some of the best players of this generation … and I’ve played under two of the sharpest minds in the history of sports, in Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. And I’m telling you: Becky Hammon can coach. I’m not saying she can coach pretty well. I’m not saying she can coach enough to get by. I’m not saying she can coach almost at the level of the NBA’s male coaches. I’m saying: Becky Hammon can coach NBA basketball. Period."

GTFO with your assumptions, my guy. The fact is that the world doesn't abide by your narrow, conservative, outdated views - and it's somehow always Americans failing to grasp this beautiful, simple concept...

The world doesn't abide by it, huh? Why isn't she a head coach then? Cause the world is wrong damn it!!! Everyone else is wrong!!! The world needs a female coach!!! Hear me roar!! Man, you GTFOH with your political assumptions about me. I'm not a conservative or Trumper or whatever the fuck you want to label people who don't agree with your liberal, lefty progressive views.

Paul Gasol wrote that puff piece in hopes of having people forgive and forget his insensitive Chinese eyes mockery with his Spanish teammates. That or he lost a bet. Maybe you weren't paying attention. I didn't say she couldn't coach, I said she wasn't going to be hired as an NBA head coach.

http://www.thetwocities.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Pau-Team-1-219x300.jpg

rjv
06-28-2021, 05:07 PM
So Blazers not only hire a suspected rapist they also throw Becky under the bus. Portland sure is a confused city.

of course, the mavs went with kidd-who has a history of domestic abuse. and this is an organization that is supposedly dedicating itself to changing its misogynistic culture.

slick'81
06-28-2021, 05:07 PM
i dont give a shit what becky has between her legs as long as she can coach. If shes the right person shell be hired,and get her shot period. I believe it will happen,but who knows when at this point

Dex
06-28-2021, 05:12 PM
Probably going down a rabbit hole here, but I think there is a big difference between acknowledging that misogyny is still very much prevalent in this world and saying that you support it.

I think Becky has and will continue to face many challenges in this career choice for that reason. I don't agree with those challenges, and I also know a lot of people who don't also agree with it.

Personally, I think she deserves a fair chance as much anybody else, and I like to believe that a majority of people agree.

But that isn't going to magically make all the guys in her locker room or organization feel the same way. The fact that she has made it this far is a sign of progress, but there will always be racists, sexists, elitists, etc. out there and their voices tend to be heard the loudest.

slick'81
06-28-2021, 05:15 PM
Probably going down a rabbit hole here, but I think there is a big difference between acknowledging that misogyny is still very much prevalent in this world and saying that you support it.

I think Becky has and will continue to face many challenges in this career choice for that reason. I don't support, and I also know a lot of people who don't support it.

Personally, I think she deserves a fair chance as much anybody else, and I like to believe that a majority of people agree.

But that isn't going to magically make all the guys in her locker room or organization feel the same way. The fact that she has made it this far is a sign of progress, but there will always be racists, sexists, elitists, etc. out there and their voices tend to be heard the loudest.

Of course. Someone will hire the first female coach,but it doesn't mean it will come easily or willingly for that matter

PhantomDashCam
06-28-2021, 07:05 PM
IMHO -

From my experience, in order for there to be "change" at the highest level of a professional workplace or competition; it first must begin so at the junior or amateur levels of such.
Thus, the idea of a "Woman breaking through" shouldn't be seen as that - simply, a natural progression of systemic evolution.

Stating objectively, there are enough significant physiological and biological differences between both sexes,
thus I don't think it's as easy as dismissing some concerns or labeling people misogynists/bigots for their differing viewpoints on athletic and skill comparisons between sexes when both are very much intertwined in Basketball at its upper echelon levels,
(even if their speech may not conform to a political correctness ideology or is deemed insensitive to some).

The discussion needs to be had, (like many issues in life), by allowing a freedom of speech and thought and thus receptive listeners to get to the real crux of the matter.

My take is that if younger male would-be athletes encountered more experiences, teachings and coaching throughout there sporting endeavors from Woman;
the idea of a first Female HC in the NBA may not only be seen as progressive, but somebody who first and foremost is right for the role irrespective of sex, race and political affiliations.

Dex
06-28-2021, 07:24 PM
IMHO -

From my experience, in order for there to be "change" at the highest level of a professional workplace or competition; it first must begin so at the junior or amateur levels of such.
Thus, the idea of a "Woman breaking through" shouldn't be seen as that - simply, a natural progression of systemic evolution.

Stating objectively, there are enough significant physiological and biological differences between both sexes,
thus I don't think it's as easy as dismissing some concerns or labeling people misogynists/bigots for their differing viewpoints on athletic and skill comparisons between sexes when both are very much intertwined in Basketball at its upper echelon levels,
(even if their speech may not conform to a political correctness ideology or is deemed insensitive to some).

The discussion needs to be had, (like many issues in life), by allowing a freedom of speech and thought and thus receptive listeners to get to the real crux of the matter.

My take is that if younger male would-be athletes encountered more experiences, teachings and coaching throughout there sporting endeavors from Woman;
the idea of a first Female HC in the NBA may not only be seen as progressive, but somebody who first and foremost is right for the role irrespective of sex, race and political affiliations.

I appreciate what you are saying. People, in general, have been conditioned from decades of history, and fixing that needs to start at a young age and go from the bottom up.

That said...boys and girls are both taught by men and women from elementary/grade school...whether it is math, science, English, or physical education.

There are plenty of examples of female gym teachers, coaches, etc who teach and coach both sexes in lower levels. I had several P.E. teachers public school who were women, and I can't say I ever had a second thought about it.

Maybe that is why we are seeing a shift occurring. Maybe not. It will take time.

It's just sad that some grown men can't see the difference. Women have been okay with being coached by a male coach for a long time now.

We seem to be in a particular moment in history of breaking through previous prejudice, and for better or worse, Hammon needs to ride that wave. She may end up being a leader, or a martyr....maybe both depending upon who you talk to. But someone has to kick through that door, and she is in the best position to do so.

slick'81
06-28-2021, 07:38 PM
I appreciate what you are saying. People, in general, have been conditioned from decades of history, and fixing that needs to start at a young age and go from the bottom up.

That said...boys and girls are both taught by men and women from elementary/grade school...whether it is math, science, English, or physical education.

There are plenty of examples of female gym teachers, coaches, etc who teach and coach both sexes in lower levels. I had several P.E. teachers public school who were women, and I can't say I ever had a second thought about it.

Maybe that is why we are seeing a shift occurring. Maybe not. It will take time.

It's just sad that some grown men can't see the difference. Women have been okay with being coached by a male coach for a long time now.

We seem to be in a particular moment in history of breaking through previous prejudice, and for better or worse, Hammon needs to ride that wave. She may end up being a leader, or a martyr....maybe both depending upon who you talk to. But someone has to kick through that door, and she is in the best position to do so.

Pop is always ahead of the curb in equality and being "woke" af

Dirks_Finale
06-28-2021, 07:58 PM

…or lack of.

Holy sh1t that's tough :lol

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-28-2021, 09:15 PM
Don't quit your day job, your ability as a mathematician will not support you...

please explain pythagoras

Chinook
06-28-2021, 09:41 PM
Again, it's entirely possible that NBA players won't listen to a female coach. But if that's the case, it won't be because it's logical to only listen to a coach who you think could be on the court with you without being physically dominated. If players do believe that, they are denying objective reality and basic reason. This isn't like designing a jock strap or whatever where empirical experience might be helpful. Anyone can draw up a play, pick up tendencies, design drills or whatever. The only thing they might not be able to do is get players to buy in or be motivated or whatever. But a player looking at a woman and going like, "I don't feel any desire to go out there and try hard for you" isn't a logical actor. Trying to pretend like old customs have a self-contained reasoning that doesn't need to be legitimately defended to flow through just makes folks look bad.

Also, if Becky is basically a meh coach, why on Earth would the Spurs not want to have her promoted out so the team could move on to a better coach? It makes no sense to talk shit about a person just to keep them around. It's also dumb as fuck for Portland to actually talk to her and run her through her intellectual paces and like what they see only to somehow doubt everything they directly experienced because some random person said she wasn't that great.

pad300
06-28-2021, 10:16 PM
please explain pythagoras

Sorry, feeling crap right now (2nd COVID shot), so this is going to be crude.
Even if we dump your assumption ("even *if* one could say that men generally are better at being NBA head coaches than women ...") and say the range of coaching ability is even between men and women, because Becky is a one off (as in there are no other female nba assistants), her being first in a cohort of one, doesn't prove anything. She could be anywhere on the spectrum of coaching ability and still be the best woman coach. Whereas the male applicants are (at least assumed) to be in the upper spectrum of coaching ability, because the less talented male coaches are trying to hold onto their assistant coach spots, not applying for head coach jobs.

Sugus
06-29-2021, 12:17 AM
The world doesn't abide by it, huh? Why isn't she a head coach then? Cause the world is wrong damn it!!!

Yeah, your views being about 20 years outdated and Becky not being promoted to HC surely go hand-in-hand. Tell me another one. And btw, it's only a matter of time for Becky to get the gig - she's already been the first in-game female HC in history. Like, we're not even that far away from this, to you, doomsday scenario :lol

Everyone else is wrong!!! The world needs a female coach!!! Hear me roar!! Man, you GTFOH with your political assumptions about me. I'm not a conservative or Trumper or whatever the fuck you want to label people who don't agree with your liberal, lefty progressive views.

I don't give a shit who you vote for; knowing of you only what you post here, your views are unmistakably conservative, retrograde. Do tell me what you "identify" as though, if you're not a conservative (you sure as hell ain't a liberal :lol), I'm always up for a laugh. Ahora me sale con que es peronista, y me caigo de culo...

Paul Gasol wrote that puff piece in hopes of having people forgive and forget his insensitive Chinese eyes mockery with his Spanish teammates. That or he lost a bet. Maybe you weren't paying attention. I didn't say she couldn't coach, I said she wasn't going to be hired as an NBA head coach.

I don't give a single shit either what minority Pau fucking Gasol mocked in his youth - why'd you think it's relevant here? Pathetic deflection attempt, wholly unrelated to a legitimate article in, by all accounts, good faith describing Becky's coaching capabilities. Imagine trying to spin that he lost a bet because it's easier to imagine than he could be praising a woman for her coaching abilities :lmao man, you're really showing your feathers on this one. Can't you grow up a bit and just say "yeah, I don't think she's cutthroat enough to be a HC" or whatever like that other guy, instead of dying on stupid hill after stupid hill? And by-the-by, saying you don't think she can hold a locker room is pretty effectively saying she can't coach. But you'll be splitting hairs over this just because your true opinion of her is too controversial for even this god-forsaken board... :wakeup

ragas
06-29-2021, 08:44 AM

hey, guy from 20 years ago. you don't even know if udoka didn't reach out for her. perhaps he did and she said no.

GAustex
06-29-2021, 09:18 AM
And the young bull said to the old bull let’s run down there and breed with one of them heifers. To which the old bull said let’s walk down their and breed them all.

dbestpro
06-29-2021, 10:44 AM
:lol not a coincidence most of them are Trumpers

So are you saying anti-Trumpers don't like women?

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-29-2021, 11:16 AM

This.

No doubt the Portland FO is in damage-control mode preparing for whatever fallout comes when Lillard bolts.a

The Spurs FO wouldn't do anything to inhibit Becky's chances at a head coaching job. Perhaps they answered honestly about aspects of her coaching experience where she's still building her resume, but we all know Pop has built a huge coaching legacy in the NBA and I'm sure he's pulling for Becky's opportunity to happen as well.

The Truth #6
06-29-2021, 11:39 AM
I heard from someone who was a scout who claimed that she isn’t very smart, suggesting also that Will Hardy was a better coach. I have no idea to prove or disprove the inner workings. Regardless, personally, I believe Becky will be a better coach. I think she has “it”. I hope she does well.

But as to the appearance of instability with the assistant coaches, to me it makes me wonder if everyone is waiting for Pop to make his decision, and some of the assistants are entertaining and taking other jobs.

rjv
06-29-2021, 11:44 AM
from my experiences in following the NBA, and i don't have the time to do the research here, it seems to me that i can recall many occasions where assistance coaches move around a lot so i don't consider the spurs to be anomalous in that regard.

John B
06-29-2021, 02:14 PM
It's sad how day in and day out teams hire these terrible coaches but can't take a chance on Becky.

tmtcsc
06-29-2021, 04:50 PM
Yeah, your views being about 20 years outdated and Becky not being promoted to HC surely go hand-in-hand. Tell me another one. And btw, it's only a matter of time for Becky to get the gig - she's already been the first in-game female HC in history. Like, we're not even that far away from this, to you, doomsday scenario :lol

I'm thinking your 20 years old or younger which makes sense and goes along with your naivete. You want her to be an NBA head coach because you've made it up in your mind that its her turn. Right, that's how the world works. People just automatically elevate to the next level, not based on merit but because it's their turn. Never occurs to you that other candidates may offer something she doesn't possess. Might be a better fit for an organization. The rest of your life is going to be very disappointing.

I don't give a shit who you vote for; knowing of you only what you post here, your views are unmistakably conservative, retrograde. Do tell me what you "identify" as though, if you're not a conservative (you sure as hell ain't a liberal :lol), I'm always up for a laugh. Ahora me sale con que es peronista, y me caigo de culo...

Yeah, you fucking care. You're so caught up in your own bullshit and perspective that you think everyone has to agree with you or they're wild ass extremists from the other side. GROW THE FUCK UP. Not everyone fits in a box. You'll figure that out in about 20 years.

I don't give a single shit either what minority Pau fucking Gasol mocked in his youth - why'd you think it's relevant here? Pathetic deflection attempt, wholly unrelated to a legitimate article in, by all accounts, good faith describing Becky's coaching capabilities. Imagine trying to spin that he lost a bet because it's easier to imagine than he could be praising a woman for her coaching abilities :lmao man, you're really showing your feathers on this one. Can't you grow up a bit and just say "yeah, I don't think she's cutthroat enough to be a HC" or whatever like that other guy, instead of dying on stupid hill after stupid hill? And by-the-by, saying you don't think she can hold a locker room is pretty effectively saying she can't coach. But you'll be splitting hairs over this just because your true opinion of her is too controversial for even this god-forsaken board... :wakeup

Maybe he likes Becky. Maybe she was nice to him. Then again, maybe, just maybe he wants to be like you and promote women to appear like he's some sort of fucking progressive hero like Gregg. He embarrassed himself nationally when he and his teammates made fun of Chinese people and he wants to fix a perception he made for himself at the tail end of his career. In any case, its not deflection to my views that perhaps she's just not good enough or ready to be accepted as the first female head coach.

The Truth #6
06-29-2021, 05:41 PM
I'm thinking your 20 years old or younger which makes sense and goes along with your naivete. You want her to be an NBA head coach because you've made it up in your mind that its her turn. Right, that's how the world works. People just automatically elevate to the next level, not based on merit but because it's their turn. Never occurs to you that other candidates may offer something she doesn't possess. Might be a better fit for an organization. The rest of your life is going to be very disappointing.

Yeah, you fucking care. You're so caught up in your own bullshit and perspective that you think everyone has to agree with you or they're wild ass extremists from the other side. GROW THE FUCK UP. Not everyone fits in a box. You'll figure that out in about 20 years.

Maybe he likes Becky. Maybe she was nice to him. Then again, maybe, just maybe he wants to be like you and promote women to appear like he's some sort of fucking progressive hero like Gregg. He embarrassed himself nationally when he and his teammates made fun of Chinese people and he wants to fix a perception he made for himself at the tail end of his career. In any case, its not deflection to my views that perhaps she's just not good enough or ready to be accepted as the first female head coach.

The meritocracy thing. I mean, she’s the most senior assistant. How would she not be considered? They aren’t hiring the tall assistant with the heavy metal mullet. What has she not earned to be considered? Besides, meritocracy is sort of a myth anyway.

Mr. Body
06-29-2021, 06:19 PM
I heard from someone who was a scout who claimed that she isn’t very smart

LOL what the fuck is this

Sugus
06-29-2021, 06:24 PM

Wrong in your presumption, not like my age would make my arguments less valid, but anyways. Yes, it's definitely that I've "made up my mind" unilaterally about wanting her to be a HC, and definitely not the fact that she's the senior AC for a HC that's about to retire, and has been an AC for seven years already, with people like Steve Nash around getting HC opportunities without even a single year of coaching experience. Definitely. Lol. Also, it's ridiculous/hilarious that you yet again disqualify Becky in your mind, because she must be lacking something, even though you have no idea nor proof of what that might be.

What a stupid way to view the discussion at hand. You can absolutely categorize ways of thinking in "boxes". I never said everything has to fit in one, but you can certainly define your stances as conservative or progressive, or whatever you think is in between (the lack of answer here is enough answer on its own). Do tell me about other things that I'll figure out in 20 years... I hope they aren't as useless as belittling women over preconceptions, though.

:lmao continuing to try to make up narratives because the idea that Gasol might've been impressed enough with Becky's coaching to write a letter about her is insane to you. Have you, in all your old fart wisdom, never heard of Occam's Razor? My God, are you failing there. Lmfao at thinking giving women spaces like head coaching is trying to be a hero or some shit. For someone of such supposed seniority, you sure think like an adolescent. Again, if you personally think she's not qualified, that's fine, I don't seek your approval nor need it. But your going out of your way on these ridiculous tangents (sure, Pau has no better reparation method to the Chinese culture than addressing a literally entirely different topic about an entirely different demographic!) tells a different story.

In any case, I hope Becky can become HC one day - not because I feel like she has to or is entitled to it, but so she can pave the way for further women getting into these positions, and also to show oldheads like you that there isn't an inherent biological barrier that prevents them from coaching. It's clear at this point that nothing short of visual proof of success will dissuade you (and even then, would you jump on the "X player made his coach good" bandwagon like some posters do with Timmy & Pop, rather than admit you were wrong? I wonder...).

Sugus
06-29-2021, 06:38 PM
The meritocracy thing. I mean, she’s the most senior assistant. How would she not be considered? They aren’t hiring the tall assistant with the heavy metal mullet. What has she not earned to be considered? Besides, meritocracy is sort of a myth anyway.

Nah bro, it's clear the only possible reason Becky could be in consideration is because of this damned woke leftist culture! Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she's the most tenured assistant for an organization famous for making big hires from within the org, and also famous for being innovative and trailblazing on multiple fronts where other organizations didn't go until the Spurs did. Absolutely not because of her multitude of accolades as both a basketball player, and then experience as assistant coach. No way!

tonight...you
06-29-2021, 06:48 PM
Wrong in your presumption, not like my age would make my arguments less valid, but anyways. Yes, it's definitely that I've "made up my mind" unilaterally about wanting her to be a HC, and definitely not the fact that she's the senior AC for a HC that's about to retire, and has been an AC for seven years already, with people like Steve Nash around getting HC opportunities without even a single year of coaching experience. Definitely. Lol. Also, it's ridiculous/hilarious that you yet again disqualify Becky in your mind, because she must be lacking something, even though you have no idea nor proof of what that might be.

What a stupid way to view the discussion at hand. You can absolutely categorize ways of thinking in "boxes". I never said everything has to fit in one, but you can certainly define your stances as conservative or progressive, or whatever you think is in between (the lack of answer here is enough answer on its own). Do tell me about other things that I'll figure out in 20 years... I hope they aren't as useless as belittling women over preconceptions, though.

:lmao continuing to try to make up narratives because the idea that Gasol might've been impressed enough with Becky's coaching to write a letter about her is insane to you. Have you, in all your old fart wisdom, never heard of Occam's Razor? My God, are you failing there. Lmfao at thinking giving women spaces like head coaching is trying to be a hero or some shit. For someone of such supposed seniority, you sure think like an adolescent. Again, if you personally think she's not qualified, that's fine, I don't seek your approval nor need it. But your going out of your way on these ridiculous tangents (sure, Pau has no better reparation method to the Chinese culture than addressing a literally entirely different topic about an entirely different demographic!) tells a different story.

In any case, I hope Becky can become HC one day - not because I feel like she has to or is entitled to it, but so she can pave the way for further women getting into these positions, and also to show oldheads like you that there isn't an inherent biological barrier that prevents them from coaching. It's clear at this point that nothing short of visual proof of success will dissuade you (and even then, would you jump on the "X player made his coach good" bandwagon like some posters do with Timmy & Pop, rather than admit you were wrong? I wonder...).
Whether I agree with you, or not: you're such an enjoyable poster to read.
A joy.

Thank you.

Mr. Body
06-29-2021, 07:14 PM
Nah bro, it's clear the only possible reason Becky could be in consideration is because of this damned woke leftist culture! Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she's the most tenured assistant for an organization famous for making big hires from within the org, and also famous for being innovative and trailblazing on multiple fronts where other organizations didn't go until the Spurs did. Absolutely not because of her multitude of accolades as both a basketball player, and then experience as assistant coach. No way!

As an aside, the 'woke' 'leftist' 'libtard' parts of the country are BY FAR more productive economically and in pretty much every other metric than the red areas. The 'woke' ass excuse is just dead-ender incel-types making excuses for their terrible-ass lives. There's no way Pop would keep somone on his staff that isn't pulling their weight.

objective
06-29-2021, 07:50 PM
Don't really buy the notion that Hammon isn't smart enough or is so lazy the Spurs aren't happy with her and discourage other teams from hiring her.

Because it that was the case they would have encouraged her to take any of the college jobs she's been offered.

Even now, she's a huge name and can snap her fingers and could get near 90% of the women's college head coach jobs. If she felt/knew/suspected the Spurs were unhappy and she was limited into a limbo of non-advancement then she has an easy face saving out.

lefty20
06-29-2021, 08:06 PM
If Becky was slacking in her duties as an assistant coach, then Pop would've kicked her to the curb already.

OldMan88
06-29-2021, 10:15 PM
One thing I haven’t seen anyone mention is the real elephant in the room as far as hiring NBA head coaches & general managers in today’s NBA. There’s much more pressure to fill those jobs based on racial factors than on gender factors. At this point in the NBA hiring matrix, being black scores higher on the intersectional scorecard than being a white, gay female. How else to you explain Chauncey Billups being hired? Now, if Utah gets an HC job open, she’s in like… the Errol Flynn reference doesn’t work here, does it?

The Truth #6
06-29-2021, 10:21 PM
As an aside, the 'woke' 'leftist' 'libtard' parts of the country are BY FAR more productive economically and in pretty much every other metric than the red areas. The 'woke' ass excuse is just dead-ender incel-types making excuses for their terrible-ass lives. There's no way Pop would keep somone on his staff that isn't pulling their weight.

Pretty sure Sugus was being heavily sarcastic.

Sugus
06-29-2021, 11:55 PM
Whether I agree with you, or not: you're such an enjoyable poster to read.
A joy.

Thank you.

Thanks, man, I appreciate it. I wonder sometimes whether people enjoy reading my sometimes long-winded posts, it's nice to see they're appreciated. Cheers!

Sugus
06-30-2021, 12:01 AM

The Truth is right, my comment was sarcastic; but I don't think you're missing that, Mr Body. I tend to agree with this picture you're painting, but as a foreigner, I really don't know enough about specific locational/political US issues to say for sure. It sure looks like the stereotypical conservative-mindset people tend to come from the South, the Bible Belt areas, and generally rural towns, though, which makes a lot of sense and is true for a lot of developed countries too besides the US.

And yeah, absolutely no way Pop is keeping Becky as a PC token. Matter-of-fact, the fact that we've seen Becky arguing with Pop and taking the reins on the sidelines multiple times through the seasons should speak even higher about the kind of weight she holds for Pop and the organization's minds, that they "let a woman talk to them" like that. Not every girl has that attitude and backbone to talk back to a GOAT coach.

Sugus
06-30-2021, 12:11 AM
And lastly, to fully dismantle your weak argument, tmtcsc: the Gasol chinese incident was back in 2011, whilst his open letter to female coaching praising Becky came a whopping 7 years later, in 2018. Not your brightest take.

Here's the link to the Gasol article btw, if anyone wants to read it. It's surprisingly good, as most Players' Tribune columns tend to be: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/pau-gasol-becky-hammon. To anyone still doubting Becky's capabilities, you really ought to give it a read. Pau is a great writer and one of the more intelligent and eloquent players the league has seen over the years.

E: man, the article could not be more spot-on and appropriate for the discussions ITT. Literally down to a T with all the anti-Becky arguments. I'll quote an excerpt just because it's so surprisingly relevant;

What I would like to do, though, is knock down a few of the silly arguments and talking points against Coach Hammon’s candidacy — and the larger idea of a female NBA head coach — that I’ve seen floating around.

The argument that I see most often is thankfully the one that’s easiest to disprove: It’s this idea that, at the absolute highest level of basketball, a woman isn’t capable of coaching men. “Yeah, female coaches are fine coaching women’s college basketball, or the WNBA,” the argument goes. “But the NBA? The NBA is different.”

First, I’ve just gotta tell you: If you’re making that argument to anyone who’s actually played any high-level basketball, you’re going to seem really ignorant. But I also have a simple response to it — which is that I’ve been in the NBA for 17 years. I’ve won two championships … I’ve played with some of the best players of this generation … and I’ve played under two of the sharpest minds in the history of sports, in Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. And I’m telling you: Becky Hammon can coach. I’m not saying she can coach pretty well. I’m not saying she can coach enough to get by. I’m not saying she can coach almost at the level of the NBA’s male coaches. I’m saying: Becky Hammon can coach NBA basketball. Period.

Dverde
06-30-2021, 09:00 AM
Now Portland’s FO is throwing SAS’ front office under the bus…saying we didn’t give them great feedback on her…I didn’t think she was ever coming back, now there’s going to be drama about it.

Trill Clinton
06-30-2021, 09:30 AM
Now Portland’s FO is throwing SAS’ front office under the bus…saying we didn’t give them great feedback on her…I didn’t think she was ever coming back, now there’s going to be drama about it.

They're lying and trying to save face for not hiring her. She'll be back.

K...
06-30-2021, 09:49 AM
If nothing else i hope this motivates pop to do a proper retirement handoff and as always fuck the guests for being so cowardly.

tmtcsc
06-30-2021, 10:40 AM
definitely not the fact that she's the senior AC for a HC that's about to retire, and has been an AC for seven years already, with people like Steve Nash around getting HC opportunities without even a single year of coaching experience. Definitely. Lol. Also, it's ridiculous/hilarious that you yet again disqualify Becky in your mind, because she must be lacking something, even though you have no idea nor proof of what that might be.

She wasn't the senior AC on the staff, it was Will Hardy. And when Tim was here, Tim was the go-to HC when needed, not Becky. Why was that? All he had was 5 titles, 2 MVPs, a bunch of Finals MVP's. Justify that move when arguing she was the most senior AC on the bench and DESERVED to step in as HC. Maybe the players respected him more than her in the locker room. Hey wait, couldn't that be why Nash, Kidd, Kerr and Billups were hired with little to no previous coaching experience? Nah, that can't be it.

Oh, so now I'm belittling her because I'm not caught up in the wave of excitement that she has a vagina and 7 years of NBA assistant coaching experience. You clearly associated me with Trumpers and narrow-minded people because I've stated the obvious about Becky and any other woman trying to be a head coach in the NBA. Despite the endorsements given by players and coaches in public, there are other dynamics that will keep them from being hired. There's also a tight coaching fraternity and no one will say a bad or negative word about another coach with their name attached to it. That' why reference checks are done. That's why its paramount that getting another coach's honest feedback on a candidate needs to be done in strict confidence. Did you see what Lillard said about female coaches and Becky? You'd have thought he was a 7 foot tall Spaniard.

https://www.nba.com/blazers/forwardcenter/lillard-women-working-nba-they-deserve-be-acknowledged-and-congratulated-and-shown

How on Earth was she not hired?!? He's their franchise player. He is threatening to leave and they didn't hire the coach he had such high praise for? Could he have all those positive things to say but not want her as HIS head coach? Of course he could. Both things could be true. The owner of the team is a woman. How could she not step in make it happen? You think the owner believed she was the best candidate or did she want the team to hire a woman for her own legacy?

:lmao continuing to try to make up narratives because the idea that Gasol might've been impressed enough with Becky's coaching to write a letter about her is insane to you. Have you, in all your old fart wisdom, never heard of Occam's Razor? My God, are you failing there. Lmfao at thinking giving women spaces like head coaching is trying to be a hero or some shit. For someone of such supposed seniority, you sure think like an adolescent. Again, if you personally think she's not qualified, that's fine, I don't seek your approval nor need it. But your going out of your way on these ridiculous tangents (sure, Pau has no better reparation method to the Chinese culture than address[/I][/I]ing a literally entirely different topic about an entirely different demographic!) tells a different story.

You're looking more and more foolish and naive for your simple-minded opinions and every day that passes without her landing at least 1 of 7 coaching vacancies proves my point. It proves you see what you want to see, believe what you want to believe without taking a moment to realize she may not be ready & the league may not be ready. You think my acknowledging she may be benefiting from the wave of momentum from the Me Too movement is insulting. Here's another teaching moment - If you're going to mirror your own opinions and views on what you're eating from national media sources, you're in for a rude awakening when you grow up. You're a follower. You don't have your own thoughts and opinions yet. It's laughable.

I hope women can get paid on par with men for doing the same job. I hope we see a female GM get an opportunity to build a team. Why aren't there any of those yet? And yes, Tim gave Gregg the opportunity to be known as one of the best head coaches in NBA history. Otherwise, he would have been fired. Same with Jordan, Kobe & Shaq elevating Phil Jackson to HOF status.

Where was your outrage and tantrums when Messina was passed over for head coaching gigs? How about when Will Hardy wasn't hired by the Knicks? When Borrego was turned down by Phoenix for Monty Williams?

tmtcsc
06-30-2021, 10:54 AM

Who said it was someone in the Spurs' FO? Even if it was, they wouldn't say it was from the Spurs' FO. It could have been someone who worked with her but is no longer in San Antonio. Players, coaches, trainers, staff, etc..

K...
06-30-2021, 10:58 AM
She wasn't the senior AC on the staff, it was Will Hardy. And when Tim was here, Tim was the go-to HC when needed, not Becky. Why was that? All he had was 5 titles, 2 MVPs, a bunch of Finals MVP's. Justify that move when arguing she was the most senior AC on the bench and DESERVED to step in as HC. Maybe the players respected him more than her in the locker room. Hey wait, couldn't that be why Nash, Kidd, Kerr and Billups were hired with little to no previous coaching experience? Nah, that can't be it.

Oh, so now I'm belittling her because I'm not caught up in the wave of excitement that she has a vagina and 7 years of NBA assistant coaching experience. You clearly associated me with Trumpers and narrow-minded people because I've stated the obvious about Becky and any other woman trying to be a head coach in the NBA. Despite the endorsements given by players and coaches in public, there are other dynamics that will keep them from being hired. There's also a tight coaching fraternity and no one will say a bad or negative word about another coach with their name attached to it. That' why reference checks are done. That's why its paramount that getting another coach's honest feedback on a candidate needs to be done in strict confidence. Did you see what Lillard said about female coaches and Becky? You'd have thought he was a 7 foot tall Spaniard.

https://www.nba.com/blazers/forwardcenter/lillard-women-working-nba-they-deserve-be-acknowledged-and-congratulated-and-shown

How on Earth was she not hired?!? He's their franchise player. He is threatening to leave and they didn't hire the coach he had such high praise for? Could he have all those positive things to say but not want her as HIS head coach? Of course he could. Both things could be true. The owner of the team is a woman. How could she not step in make it happen? You think the owner believed she was the best candidate or did she want the team to hire a woman for her own legacy?

You're looking more and more foolish and naive for your simple-minded opinions and every day that passes without her landing at least 1 of 7 coaching vacancies proves my point. It proves you see what you want to see, believe what you want to believe without taking a moment to realize she may not be ready & the league may not be ready. You think my acknowledging she may be benefiting from the wave of momentum from the Me Too movement is insulting. Here's another teaching moment - If you're going to mirror your own opinions and views on what you're eating from national media sources, you're in for a rude awakening when you grow up. You're a follower. You don't have your own thoughts and opinions yet. It's laughable.

I hope women can get paid on par with men for doing the same job. I hope we see a female GM get an opportunity to build a team. Why aren't there any of those yet? And yes, Tim gave Gregg the opportunity to be known as one of the best head coaches in NBA history. Otherwise, he would have been fired. Same with Jordan, Kobe & Shaq elevating Phil Jackson to HOF status.

Where was your outrage and tantrums when Messina was passed over for head coaching gigs? How about when Will Hardy wasn't hired by the Knicks? When Borrego was turned down by Phoenix for Monty Williams?
Glorious meltdown sir

Chinook
06-30-2021, 11:11 AM
For the record, I have no issue with teams passing on Hammond, nor do I think it's impossible for her to be lacking as a candidate. I also acknowledge the concern that Hammond's candidacy might eventually turn toxic like Hillary's presidential bid did. It's hard to parse through the misogyny and legit criticism, and it often becomes a slurry that progressives beat at with a club and somehow get way too invested in that particular person has to be the one to break the barrier. We shouldn't get trapped in a mode where we're pretending that Hammond is a great coach that "deserves" every job that comes up. It doesn't help her candidacy that every interview she takes will be a political battlefield. For her and for the cause in general, the first female NBA coach should be in a position where she can get a fair shake and be a candidate who can take advantage of that. Hammond may not be that person (and may not be such even after more seasoning), and if she's not, it's a good thing that she hasn't been put in a position to fail.

That said, what is not okay is for folks to use those concerns to push regressive, bullshit views. "NBA players won't respect a female coach" -- whether true or not -- is no more a justification to not hire a woman than "Rich white families will move away" was a justification for red-lining. You're not going to have a smooth transition. There are going to be bigoted or unprofessional people who aren't willing to accept what's right. That's why the army had to secure Little Rock. When someone's wrong, you don't actually have to bend over backwards to accommodate them. First, any star (meaning any player who actually has the power to determine team policy) isn't going to outwardly come out against a female coach. They have too much riding on their image to do that. So if the coach is good, then there's a massive incentive for them to get passed their differences. If a lesser player comes out against it, we'll see how long they last in the league. You're not going to see some underground incel NBA community. Players are going to fall in line or get out, and soon it will become normalized for coaches to not have been dominant NBA players to get respect.

If folks really want to grow as people, they need to consider if the views they hold are rational and not just artifacts of the past. It's okay to have some caution about the moment we're facing or to be willing to scrutinize a candidate, no matter who they are. But know where that ends and bigotry begins.

tmtcsc
06-30-2021, 11:15 AM
And lastly, to fully dismantle your weak argument, tmtcsc: the Gasol chinese incident was back in 2011, whilst his open letter to female coaching praising Becky came a whopping 7 years later, in 2018. Not your brightest take.

Damn, you are clueless & not very bright. Dude was at the tail end of his Spurs contract, if not in the last year of it and hoping for another gig. He was getting limited minutes, dealing with injuries but wanting his career to keep going. How does he get attention? He writes a positive piece about Becky smack dab in the middle of the Me Too movement and the Weinstein fallout. I can hear Pau's agent and/or publicist now: "Pau, lets get your name out there. How about writing an article that resonates with the times? Huh? Write about Kobe and the opportunity to have played and won a Championship with him? Nah, that's boring. It's not like anyone is talking him up yet. If he had tragically died in an accident or something, maybe. No, lets write about a woman and the power of women. Yes!! <Snaps fingers>. Becky wants to be a head coach, right? Hasn't she gotten some interviews? How about an article fully endorsing her and letting the world know that a woman has a brain and can learn basketball good. Yeah, and that might be a nice way to clean up that 2011 business regarding the Chinese eyes business." Pau: "I love it".

Nah, you're probably right. He felt the need to write about Becky because he's just an articulate, good dude. No other alternative motive and if he said it, it must be gospel.

Here's the link to the Gasol article btw, if anyone wants to read it. It's surprisingly good, as most Players' Tribune columns tend to be: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/pau-gasol-becky-hammon. To anyone still doubting Becky's capabilities, you really ought to give it a read. Pau is a great writer and one of the more intelligent and eloquent players the league has seen over the years.

:rollin Give me a break. I especially appreciated Kevin Durant's thoughtful introspective - "My Next Chapter."

tmtcsc
06-30-2021, 11:17 AM
Glorious meltdown sir

You're not paying attention to the nonsense being thrown around. Glad you think it was a meltdown. No charge.

tmtcsc
06-30-2021, 11:33 AM
For the record, I have no issue with teams passing on Hammond, nor do I think it's impossible for her to be lacking as a candidate. I also acknowledge the concern that Hammond's candidacy might eventually turn toxic like Hillary's presidential bid did. It's hard to parse through the misogyny and legit criticism, and it often becomes a slurry that progressives beat at with a club and somehow get way too invested in that particular person has to be the one to break the barrier. We shouldn't get trapped in a mode where we're pretending that Hammond is a great coach that "deserves" every job that comes up. It doesn't help her candidacy that every interview she takes will be a political battlefield. For her and for the cause in general, the first female NBA coach should be in a position where she can get a fair shake and be a candidate who can take advantage of that. Hammond may not be that person (and may not be such even after more seasoning), and if she's not, it's a good thing that she hasn't been put in a position to fail.

That said, what is not okay is for folks to use those concerns to push regressive, bullshit views. "NBA players won't respect a female coach" -- whether true or not -- is no more a justification to not hire a woman than "Rich white families will move away" was a justification for red-lining. You're not going to have a smooth transition. There are going to be bigoted or unprofessional people who aren't willing to accept what's right. That's why the army had to secure Little Rock. When someone's wrong, you don't actually have to bend over backwards to accommodate them. First, any star (meaning any player who actually has the power to determine team policy) isn't going to outwardly come out against a female coach. They have too much riding on their image to do that. So if the coach is good, then there's a massive incentive for them to get passed their differences. If a lesser player comes out against it, we'll see how long they last in the league. You're not going to see some underground incel NBA community. Players are going to fall in line or get out, and soon it will become normalized for coaches to not have been dominant NBA players to get respect.

If folks really want to grow as people, they need to consider if the views they hold are rational and not just artifacts of the past. It's okay to have some caution about the moment we're facing or to be willing to scrutinize a candidate, no matter who they are. But know where that ends and bigotry begins.

I actually agree with you. My views about Becky are realistic about the challenges (right or wrong) women face trying to become a head coach in the NBA. At this point, a female candidate will have to (A.) Be a better candidate and fit than other coaches available (B.) Have the endorsement of a franchise player, GM or owner. I'm not saying its right, I'm saying that's the way its likely to happen. If she met the criteria for (A.) & (B.) and Dame really wanted her, she would have been hired. No doubt. Perfect scenario was in place to hire her in Portland if she met all the qualifications. In my opinion, to get over the resistance to change or stereotypes, the league needs to have more female assistant coaches. Of course a woman can coach at the NBA level. Of course they can understand X's & O's & inspire & lead. It doesn't mean they won't get hired and doesn't mean the young men in the league are truly ready for it and will respond.

Trill Clinton
06-30-2021, 11:54 AM
She wasn't the senior AC on the staff, it was Will Hardy. And when Tim was here, Tim was the go-to HC when needed, not Becky.

Did you forget the Laker game where she was HC when Pop got ejected???? The Spurs Assistant Coaches have the responsibility of scouting and coming up with the game plan for certain teams. Tim had the responsibility of HC because he game planned for that team that night. Same for Becky since she game planned for the Lakers.

cd98
06-30-2021, 12:47 PM
I think the biggest challenge to the first female being hired as a head coach in the NBA is that once the hired, they essentially can't be fired for at least 4-5 years. So if the female does a poor job of coaching or loses the players, she won't be the one to go, it will be the GM. So any GM is taking a big risk and I think none so far are willing to take that chance. I think SA is in a unique position to hire Becky since they know her and she has a relationship with the players, but whether that translates to her being a head coach in the NBA is anyone's guess. That said, I can't think of a more likely place for her to get her shot than San Antonio. Is she the lead assistant now that Hardy is gone? She has the most time on the bench of what is left, correct?

SAGirl
06-30-2021, 12:49 PM
Portland’s press conference has gotten a lot of criticism for how they handled questions about Billups past (not deal with it, evade it). I think it wouldn’t have been a good situation for Becky.

widowmaker
06-30-2021, 01:28 PM
Mother fuckers are acting like if she some kind of coaching prodigy lmao. Portland hired who they think is the best fit for the team. Get over it.

K...
06-30-2021, 01:43 PM
Mother fuckers are acting like if she some kind of coaching prodigy lmao. Portland hired who they think is the best fit for the team. Get over it.

They made a big deal about considering her, said it was the owners choice, then picked billups.

Its not that they picked billups over becky, its that they tried to play both sides, and got caught.

In doing so they slandered the spurs organization. I dont think anyoneargues it was wrong to pass over becky, its about the guests absolute. Cowardly spin attempts

Ocotillo
06-30-2021, 03:19 PM
No, it's one thing to not get the job, it happens all the time. Typically, the hiring entity doesn't go on and throw out statements that reflect poorly on the candidate they did not hire.

Bad move by Portland.

They are fully within their right to hire whoever they want but they crossed a line that is not typically crossed. If they had kept their mouth shut about her and spoke to why they wanted Billups, no biggie, better luck next time. Even if they did hear unflattering information about Hammond, you don't throw it out for public consumption.

It is also a slap in the face to Billups because they appear to be making excuses as to why they did not hire her instead of why they hired him. Hell, Dame said he wanted Billups, that is what everyone would have assumed if they had not said anything.

slick'81
06-30-2021, 03:57 PM
Its pretty fucked up becky is getting thrown under the bus like this

itzsoweezee
06-30-2021, 04:23 PM
Its pretty fucked up becky is getting thrown under the bus like this

I agree. I can’t believe the Spurs’ front office has just been silent on this.

BackHome
06-30-2021, 04:30 PM
I think the biggest challenge to the first female being hired as a head coach in the NBA is that once the hired, they essentially can't be fired for at least 4-5 years. So if the female does a poor job of coaching or loses the players, she won't be the one to go, it will be the GM. So any GM is taking a big risk and I think none so far are willing to take that chance. I think SA is in a unique position to hire Becky since they know her and she has a relationship with the players, but whether that translates to her being a head coach in the NBA is anyone's guess. That said, I can't think of a more likely place for her to get her shot than San Antonio. Is she the lead assistant now that Hardy is gone? She has the most time on the bench of what is left, correct?

BINGO...:) You are 100% correct

K...
06-30-2021, 04:51 PM
I agree. I can’t believe the Spurs’ front office has just been silent on this.

It would be odd to rebut an anonymous source , and the statement is very vague. And the spurs are not really ready, its off season. But i bet we see a testament of her skill : before the season is about to start or whenever the coaching staff is finalized

tmtcsc
06-30-2021, 05:19 PM

Exactly! What the FO didn't expect & perhaps should have anticipated is that the city of Portland is essentially liberal, progressive Austin on steroids. Defund the Police, neighborhoods shut down by protesters, etc. That city is a fucking mess and because Becky wasn't hired they faced a huge backlash. To make matters worse, they ended up hiring a person that was caught up in a sexual assault claim. No matter he was found innocent and fully investigated years ago. All people want to do is cancel everyone else.

Maybe, just maybe, she didn't get hired because they didn't feel she was the right person for the position.

widowmaker
06-30-2021, 06:21 PM
They made a big deal about considering her, said it was the owners choice, then picked billups.

Its not that they picked billups over becky, its that they tried to play both sides, and got caught.

In doing so they slandered the spurs organization. I dont think anyoneargues it was wrong to pass over becky, its about the guests absolute. Cowardly spin attempts

Ok so they aren’t professionals it happens the NBA is a joke nowadays anyway.

widowmaker
06-30-2021, 06:25 PM
Exactly! What the FO didn't expect & perhaps should have anticipated is that the city of Portland is essentially liberal, progressive Austin on steroids. Defund the Police, neighborhoods shut down by protesters, etc. That city is a fucking mess and because Becky wasn't hired they faced a huge backlash. To make matters worse, they ended up hiring a person that was caught up in a sexual assault claim. No matter he was found innocent and fully investigated years ago. All people want to do is cancel everyone else.

Maybe, just maybe, she didn't get hired because they didn't feel she was the right person for the position.

I don’t remember that happening to billups but im glad he was found innocent sounds like a gold digger situation anyway. Remember what im getting ready to tell you right now. If Matthew mcconaughey runs for governor hes gonna have so many me toos come out people are gonna be digging up bones as they usually do when things don’t go their way.

K...
06-30-2021, 06:38 PM
billups was not "found innocent" he was not prossecuted which is common. It's up to you and everyone else to weight his account. But that's independent of the decision to hire him, it happened along time ago. The reporter asked the team "did you consider the sex assualt when you hired him" "we did an investigation" "how did you investigate?" "fuck you we aint telling".

the correct answer is that "in consultation with Mr billups we are assured we can ensure a safe environment and will prioritize anti harassment/ pro consent teaching"

widowmaker
06-30-2021, 06:49 PM
billups was not "found innocent" he was not prossecuted which is common. It's up to you and everyone else to weight his account. But that's independent of the decision to hire him, it happened along time ago. The reporter asked the team "did you consider the sex assualt when you hired him" "we did an investigation" "how did you investigate?" "fuck you we aint telling".

the correct answer is that "in consultation with Mr billups we are assured we can ensure a safe environment and will prioritize anti harassment/ pro consent teaching"

Yeah ill go with innocent because if there would have been probable cause he would have been arrested and prosecuted. Im sure he paid hush money so the gold digger can just go away.

itzsoweezee
07-01-2021, 08:25 AM

Chris Paul stated in the post game last night that he talked with Billups while he was in quarantine and Billups told him he was going to be the head coach of the blazers. It seems to confirm the fact that the blazers had already chosen their gut and all the rest of this was just for show

toki9
07-02-2021, 02:22 PM
John Hollinger in his article about the Blazers/Mavs coaching hires:

"The Blazers also made things worse for themselves by bringing in a female candidate, Becky Hammon, but she may as well have been attached to a giant neon sign reading “this is a token interview for appearances only.”To be fair, Portland did conduct a second interview with Hammon, but this still seemed for appearances sake: Everyone in the league has known Olshey wanted to hire Billups for ages...But for now, the best fake-sincere way to show you’re an enlightened franchise is to interview Becky Hammon, and then hire the dude you wanted to hire anyway. Sadly, she has to keep taking these interviews and hope that one of these teams actually means well. After all, Kim Ng was hired by the Miami Marlins as MLB’s first female GM earlier this year after being a constant runner-up for two decades."

cd98
07-02-2021, 03:29 PM

You are right that he was not found innocent, but that doesn't mean he was found guilty either. And under our legal system, you are entitled to a presumption of innocence. It is certainly legally possible to sue him civilly and get a payment while also pushing to prosecute him criminally. These things can be complicated and he said/she said so I think it's hard to judge him either way. My issue is that no one cared about it with his other jobs. It was only when Becky got passed over that it became an issue.

cd98
07-02-2021, 03:34 PM
John Hollinger in his article about the Blazers/Mavs coaching hires:

"The Blazers also made things worse for themselves by bringing in a female candidate, Becky Hammon, but she may as well have been attached to a giant neon sign reading “this is a token interview for appearances only.”To be fair, Portland did conduct a second interview with Hammon, but this still seemed for appearances sake: Everyone in the league has known Olshey wanted to hire Billups for ages...But for now, the best fake-sincere way to show you’re an enlightened franchise is to interview Becky Hammon, and then hire the dude you wanted to hire anyway. Sadly, she has to keep taking these interviews and hope that one of these teams actually means well. After all, Kim Ng was hired by the Miami Marlins as MLB’s first female GM earlier this year after being a constant runner-up for two decades."

I think this is the real issue. Portland created this problem by interviewing her with no intention of ever hiring her. No one criticized the franchises that didn't interview her when they made their coaching selections. And then they start saying that someone in the Spurs organization was trashing her. That might be true, it might not. But that was definitely floated out there to cover them. It's unfortunate, because not only did they not hire Becky or really even consider hiring her, but they just damaged her reputation in a public way by saying that someone off the record from the franchise she got her coaching start with was bad mouthing her. Now that will hang over ever GM that considers hiring her going forward. Just a terrible job of managing things by that franchise. They put unnecessary heat on both Billups and Becky.