PDA

View Full Version : Detroit 7-0

Old School Chic
11-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Should the Spurs be worried?

Oscar DeLa
11-18-2005, 12:02 PM
I don't know what it is but why would the Spurs give a shit about the Pistons?

DarkReign
11-18-2005, 12:02 PM
No offense, but why should the Spurs be worried about...

a) a team in the other conference
b) a team they wont play for a month
c) a team doing really well less than 10 games into the season

Spurs, I think, couldnt care less about what the Pistons are doing, nonetheless any team in the Eastern Conference.

My opinion anyway. I didnt want to sound rude, so please dont take it that way.

sa_butta
11-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Nope too early in the season. Long way to go.

Extra Stout
11-18-2005, 12:08 PM
Were you not aware that Detroit is good? I seem to remember them making deep playoff runs recently...

ducks
11-18-2005, 12:10 PM
what has saunders teams did in playoffs?

everything is a honeymoon right now in piston land
just what for a few losses look at the nuggets now compared to them last year

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2005, 12:18 PM

I think Spurs fans shouldn't feel so confident as to dismiss Detroit out of hand. This isn't based so much on Detroit's start as it is on how close the Finals were as well as the fact that Detroit returned pretty much everyone. Spurs fans seem to believe in this myth that the Finals were not that competitive. They were 12 minutes away from having choked away two elimination games at home and losing the Finals. How soon Spurs fans forget.

Then again, when have Spurs fans never been overconfident?

nkdlunch
11-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Worried about what? that the Pistons are gonna be better than last season? they might, but they'll miss Larry Brown in the Playoffs and anyway Spurs should be way way better than last year also.

so, no, not worried at all, even if they go 82-0

in conclusion, check my sig :smokin

mookie2001
11-18-2005, 12:23 PM
so, no, not worried at all, even if they go 82-0

no joke
all they can do is wait for the finals
which det has about a 60% chance of reaching

coopdogg3
11-18-2005, 12:30 PM
I think Spurs fans shouldn't feel so confident as to dismiss Detroit out of hand. This isn't based so much on Detroit's start as it is on how close the Finals were as well as the fact that Detroit returned pretty much everyone. Spurs fans seem to believe in this myth that the Finals were not that competitive.

Then again, when have Spurs fans never been overconfident?

True, the Pistons are for real. They are playing some great ball right now. Still remains to be seen about Saunders and the play-offs, but for right now - I have to admit that I'm keeping tabs on how well the Pistons are playing.

Supergirl
11-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Right now, and before the season even started, I said Detroit would be the team to beat in the East. I still say it'll be a repeat of Detroit and SA in the finals, and until Miami or Indiana prove they're for real, I'm standing by that. They're the last to champions for a reason. They're the best defensive teams in the league and they're both stronger offensively than ever before.

But injuries can change everything to anyone. Indiana could pull their shit together and pass up the Pistons. Then again, Artest could explode, and one incident and I think he'll be done in the NBA. Has he ever gone a whole season without a flagrant foul or a fight? Miami could pulls their shit together, Shaq could get healthy, and they could dominate. Then again, they could fall apart completely.

In the West, the only thing that stands in the SPurs way from the Finals and another championship is (GOD FORBID) an injury to Timmy.

LilMissSPURfect
11-18-2005, 12:38 PM

WHY? IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH DETROIT? :spin :oops

boutons
11-18-2005, 12:42 PM
The 7-0 is solid, some tough, close wins in there, incl b2b road wins vs Phx & hot- shooting Portland (Det won with 3Gs).

Can't take anything away from Det at this point, except maybe Flip's extremely tight, playoff-style rotation, esp seeing how big their pts +diff is.

Pistons are playing good defense and pushing the ball more on offense, as well as good half-court offense. They are playing the best in the NBA by far, SA is not even close. Pistons are setting the pace for Finals HCA. I wouldn't give SA without Finals HCA much chance in June 06 (or 05) vs Pistons.

I've enjoyed watching the Pistons play more than I have watching the Spurs.
It's simply better basketball.

I suppose SA could play that well, and I'd really like to see them do it before next March. This slow-starting and inconsistency of Spurs traditions are really kind of cheating the fans. WTF is wrong with "coming to play every night"?

ChumpDumper
11-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Personally, I'd feel better if we had an eighth swingman.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2005, 12:46 PM
The Spurs have lost half of their swing rotation, had greater turnover in their roster and Pop usually tries different shit during the early season.

I mean, it's not the records that concern me. It's that the difference between the Spurs and Pistons last June was not all that great.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2005, 12:47 PM

I'd feel better if our top reserve swingman wasn't Melvin Sanders.

spurster
11-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Then Detroit had better watch out.

Bruno
11-18-2005, 12:59 PM
I'd feel better if our top reserve swingman wasn't Melvin Sanders.

Marcus, you must realize that that Sanders isn't bad for a 14th man. The only real better fit for Spurs, they could have signed this summer was Barnes: not a big upgrade over Sanders.

samikeyp
11-18-2005, 01:00 PM
We went 14-0 to start the season and look at the success we had!

Sincerely,
The 2002-03 Dallas Mavericks.

sandman
11-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Considering that these two teams will only hook up twice in the regular season, neither team will be a stakeholder in the other teams' regular season success.

And quite frankly, the Spurs are not going to get caught looking ahead to a potential Finals matchup when they need to get through three series in their own conference. Whether we choose to admit it or not, we are one Timmy ankle roll away from being the Sonics.

If the Spurs get to the Finals? If Detroit gets to the Finals. Then definitely worry about them then. They didn't roll over like the Knicks and Nets when we won the first two.

Rummpd
11-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Last year early for quite a stretch the Spurs were setting a near NBA record in point differential and dismantling opponents, whle healthy and before getting tested by some hot teams, Denver etc in the playoffs. Spurs have another gear they can go to, and I believe will, rather than starting out of the gate and falling flat.

Granted the Pistons were a worthy finals opponent but you Duncan's ankles had a lot to do with that - he fought through it and like the team kept their cool, and when it counted down the stretch it was them, not basically the same Pistons squad who played like champs.

Now they have:

1) a healthier team except for some minor injuries but nothing like Duncans and Rasho's ankles (laugh at that but against some teams Rasho is huge on defense)
2) a deeper team period
3) a seemingly greatly improved Parker, and a more active, lighter Duncan who can shoot FTs! (Recall that if Duncan had hit simply any FTs down the stretch in game 5 - it would have been a cinch rather than requiring Horry's heroics and Wallace to go brain dead.

Pistons could well be the Suns of last year with an inspiring start - then a thud for a fall.

With Flip on the sidelines that surely would not be unexpected!

Finally, the Pistons, who are a very good team granted, have played a light schedule so far, only the Suns (without Amare) were an especially strong opponent. They are hot right now, but not "awe inspiring" or something to be feard, and I still see the Pacers coming out of the East and a currently ailing giant named Shaq and a kid named Wade will also play a factor in the East when all is said and done.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Marcus, you must realize that that Sanders isn't bad for a 14th man. The only real better fit for Spurs, they could have signed this summer was Barnes: not a big upgrade over Sanders.

Sanders should be the 15th man, a project. The Spurs need someone more experienced with some size. Glenn Robinson immediately comes to mind.

boutons
11-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Will see if the Pacers can bounce back in tonight's game vs BCats. Have they "looked into their heart" as Rick said after the BCats blew them out in Charlotte?

Det @Hou tonight (easy, hou sucks, and on back of B2B), and Dal tomorrow night. Dal will obviously be playing hard for their credibilty, with the benefit of catching Det on 2nd of B2B. Tough test for Det.

Det shooting 43% had to find a way to beat Por shooting 49%. Not a tough team, but Por did the same last year to beat SA @Por.

Bruno
11-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Sanders should be the 15th man, a project. The Spurs need someone more experienced with some size. Glenn Robinson immediately comes to mind.

Sure we lack a vet with a good shooting touch who can't defend. It's not like we have Finley and Barry.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2005, 01:23 PM
It's like you have two guys who are already out with injuries this season. You need something more than a project as your 5th swing. Depth is not a luxury with such an aged rotation.

Kip Fanatic
11-18-2005, 01:25 PM
It's like you have two guys who are already out with injuries this season. You need something more than a project as your 5th swing. Depth is not a luxury with such an aged rotation.

Where have we read this before?
Oh yeah. In every other thread this forum has to offer.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Funny, you could say the same thing about you following me around the forum like a lost puppy. Read or scroll.

Bruno
11-18-2005, 01:31 PM

Depth is useless if you have three times the same player.
If Bowen is injuried, what do you do against team like Houston : you put Robinson on Tmac ?
Robinson is only usefull is two players are injuried among : Manu, Brent and Finley. It's the case now but it's not sure it will happen again.

Sanders was one of the better player we could have sign as 5th swingman this season.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2005, 01:36 PM
You can say that about any position. Depth is useful if you need it.

If Bowen is injured at least you can bring in someone who's played in the league before, not a project like Sanders or Scales. Of course Bowen is hard to replace defensively. So what?

Sanders was one of the best IR projects the Spurs could've signed this season.

Kip Fanatic
11-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Funny, you could say the same thing about you following me around the forum like a lost puppy. Read or scroll.
It looks that way because you post the same thing in every thread.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Damn, you are a woman.

Bruno
11-18-2005, 01:42 PM

If Bowen is injured at least you can bring in someone who's played in the league before, not a project like Sanders or Scales. Of course Bowen is hard to replace defensively. So what?

One word : complementarity.
If Bowen is injured, I take Sanders over Robinson.
Robinson is maybe better but he is too similar with Barry and Finley.

And signing both Robinson and Sanders sucks.
Having 15 players on roster sucks, I rather have 14.

Supergirl
11-18-2005, 02:10 PM
I suppose SA could play that well, and I'd really like to see them do it before next March. This slow-starting and inconsistency of Spurs traditions are really kind of cheating the fans. WTF is wrong with "coming to play every night"?

You know, you may be right in that it's "cheating" the fans, but it's a long season and I would rather have the Spurs start slow, pace themselves, be cautious so as to avoid injuries (not you, Manu, we know this isn't your style) and finish strong in the playoffs.

Very few teams can start strong, play 110% every night, and still avoid injury for 82 games. The choices seem to be:
1. start strong, fizzle out (this has certainly been the Clippers, the Warriors, etc of the last few seasons)

2. start slow, and build up momentum.

3. be up and down all season.

Personally, I choose the 2nd one, if we have a choice.

And hey, if a 7-2 start is "slow", that's still the best record in the West right now. And better than the Spurs usually start off.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2005, 02:14 PM
One word : complementarity.
If Bowen is injured, I take Sanders over Robinson.
Robinson is maybe better but he is too similar with Barry and Finley.

Not really. Robinson is a bigger 3 and not a 2 who can see some 3 like Barry and Finley. Sanders is much more of a Finley/Barry type in that regard than GRobinson.

And signing both Robinson and Sanders sucks.
Having 15 players on roster sucks, I rather have 14.

More depth sucks? At worst, Sanders gets playing time in Austin. Suck gone.

Spurminator
11-18-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm glad to see Detroit playing well. I wouldn't complain if we faced them in the next five Finalses...es...

Bruno
11-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Not really. Robinson is a bigger 3 and not a 2 who can see some 3 like Barry and Finley. Sanders is much more of a Finley/Barry type in that regard than GRobinson.
More depth sucks? At worst, Sanders gets playing time in Austin. Suck gone.

Big Dog is a bad defender like Barry and Finley. If Bowen is out Spurs need defense not scoring.
Having 15 players sucks because in case of injury, you need to waive a player to sign another.
As an example if Duncan and Horry are out, Spurs need to sign a PF to a noguaranteed contract. Marks and Oberto can't cover the 48 min at PF.

If I was Spurs GM, I would sign only a 5th swingman and Sanders was a one of the better choice.
A lot of people have proposed lots of players as 5th swingman.
Considering that :
- Spurs have only the min or the LLE to sign him.
- He must agree to sign with us
- It's a 14th man : it means no playoff and most of time on IL.
- Complementarity with other swingmen : we don't need a shooter

Sanders was one of the best choice, the only other player Spurs could have sign over him is Barnes.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Big Dog is a bad defender like Barry and Finley. If Bowen is out Spurs need defense not scoring.
Having 15 players sucks because in case of injury, you need to waive a player to sign another.
As an example if Duncan and Horry are out, Spurs need to sign a PF to a noguaranteed contract. Marks and Oberto can't cover the 48 min at PF.

Of course, the flip side of that is if you have an injury then you have someone who knows your system already on board to fill in. Not to mention that you don't have to go out looking for just whoever you can find.

If I was Spurs GM, I would sign only a 5th swingman and Sanders was a one of the better choice.
A lot of people have proposed lots of players as 5th swingman.
Considering that :
- Spurs have only the min or the LLE to sign him.
- He must agree to sign with us
- It's a 14th man : it means no playoff and most of time on IL.
- Complementarity with other swingmen : we don't need a shooter

Sanders was one of the best choice, the only other player Spurs could have sign over him is Barnes.

Sure, Barnes would've been nice, but he would've required a guaranteed contract.

101A
11-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Actually,

When A team focusses on regular season success - which is a stated goal of the Pistons this year, I have always seen that team as a little brother, one who was incapable of seeing the big picture.

I have vivid memories of a 62 win season and a 5-1 record against a Houston team that meant completely DICK when it came nut cuttin time.

Same think in '01 - '02 AND in '03 - '04 when the record against the Lakers, AND home court advantage was completely meaningless!

I watched the Spurs dismantle the regular season "champs" last season.

That being said, Detroit is not a regular season neophyte AS AN ORGANIZATION, but, frankly, the only way Flip has ever seen a path out of the first round was as the team with the best record...so that is obviously a goal he has set out for his crew. Good for them.

Pop has openly said, and has demonstrated for years, that he does not focus on W/L early in the season, and that the team's position is never THAT big of a concern. He is driving this ship focussing on how good it can be when it matters, not how many "W's" he can pick up along the way. It's not kosher to say so in here, but I think he picked this bit of Zen up from P. Jackson. "Do not let the journey become the goal, Grasshopper, the GOAL is the goal".

Also, the Spurs, as the prohibitive favorite, AND defending champs, have a big target on their backs this year. They are playing a tougher schedule than any team in the league - getting 82 (maybe more - did you see how tough people were playing 'em in PREseason) little playoff warmups before the real ones begin. I always felt this was the secret to the post season ass-whoopins the Lakers handed the Spurs a few years back. They were more ready for the tough games than the Spurs were - because they had that target all year. They didn't give a crap about any 1 game in the season (even those against the Spurs) - so if they dropped one, no big deal. Kind of like the way the Spurs fans view the Mavericks now. Just because the Mavs torched the Spurs a couple of weeks ago in a November game, does it mean they are a REAL threat to win a series in May? Hell no. Go read a Mavs. board, though, most of them think it does.

Frankly, I am slightly less afraid of Detroit with their new focus on regular season success. It might indicate a potential lack of perspective. Go ahead, kill yourself. Get your 68 wins. See you in June.

leemajors
11-18-2005, 02:52 PM
worry about the east when you win the west, not before. besides, hca in the finals can be lost easily, especially in a 2-3-2 format.

101A
11-18-2005, 02:52 PM

Damn MB,

I'm going to start a thread entitled, "Pops favorites Wines", or "Is Eva Natural?", or "Which Spur drives the fastest car?" and see how long it takes for you to hijack it talking about swingmen.

Bruno
11-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Of course, the flip side of that is if you have an injury then you have someone who knows your system already on board to fill in. Not to mention that you don't have to go out looking for just whoever you can find.

The matter is that you 15th man doesn't allways play the spot wher you have injuries.
I rather fill the 15th spot with noguaranteed/10days contract.

Sure, Barnes would've been nice, but he would've required a guaranteed contract.

Barnes mades a lots of workout with Spurs this summer, maybe he wasn't so great to have a guarantedd contract, but i would have sign a 5th swingman before the season. now we have Sanders and I like this choice.

My POV is that some people thinks Spurs could have signed Devin, Evans, Big Dog, Lynch or Dermarr Johnson as 5th swingman : If you look more closely, it's unrealistic or it's a bad fit. I don't like when people trashing on the FO because they haven't sign them.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2005, 03:23 PM
The matter is that you 15th man doesn't allways play the spot wher you have injuries.
I rather fill the 15th spot with noguaranteed/10days contract.

With the ability to assign a player to the NDBL, there is an opportunity to bring in a young player you like but don't have an opportunity for minutes in the current season. You also gain the benefit of that season counting towards Early Bird/Bird rights if he is worth it.

Barnes mades a lots of workout with Spurs this summer, maybe he wasn't so great to have a guarantedd contract, but i would have sign a 5th swingman before the season. now we have Sanders and I like this choice.

My POV is that some people thinks Spurs could have signed Devin, Evans, Big Dog, Lynch or Dermarr Johnson as 5th swingman : If you look more closely, it's unrealistic or it's a bad fit. I don't like when people trashing on the FO because they haven't sign them.

I don't like it when people give ownership slack when championships are on the line. At least you have a basis for your argument.

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Damn MB,

I'm going to start a thread entitled, "Pops favorites Wines", or "Is Eva Natural?", or "Which Spur drives the fastest car?" and see how long it takes for you to hijack it talking about swingmen.

I hijacked nothing. Read or scroll, don't whine.

MiNuS
11-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Worry only when the Spurs have won the WEST and the Pistons have won the EAST.
Who has the better record ofcourse has HCA but otherwise,I'm only shitting bricks if these two teams are in the Finals and its game seven and both are tied with .59 seconds to go in the 4th quarter. Then and only then I will be unable to breathe.

Was it the Suns that had a 30-2 record last season before the All-star game. I'm not comparing the Pistons to the Suns but I do believe it takes alot more effort to be working both sides of the court for 82 games.

jochhejaam
11-18-2005, 05:02 PM

Sincerely,
Dangit mikeyp, you really know how to suck the joy out of 7-0. :lol

bdubya
11-18-2005, 06:03 PM

Absolutely. The threat of avian flu is very real. Al Qaeda is still out there, plotting mayhem against us. The hurricane season is STILL going on, and there have been lethal tornadoes at a really weird time of year. Our oil supply is vulnerable, our national debt is staggering, the glaciers are shrinking, the ice caps are melting, and school test scores are stagnant. Plus, if the Spurs make it to the Finals, they're going to have to play some other team. Probably a pretty good one.

So yeah, there's a lot they should be worried about. But I wouldn't put Detroit's record on the list just yet.

theMUHMEshow
11-18-2005, 06:43 PM

Sincerely,

Thank you for showing your basketball knowledge. Comparing the Mavs to the Pistons :drunk

FreshPrince22
11-19-2005, 12:52 AM

Sincerely,

It's one thing for a run-n-gun defense-less team to go on a regular season tear. It's a totally different thing for a defensive minded, battle-tested team to do it. Especially considering this group of players is notorious for slow starts.

The most scary thing about these Pistons is that even though they are 8-0, they are still just Flipping that switch on whenever they feel like it. They have been absolutely dominant in the 2nd half of games.

But, the season is young. I'll worry about the Spurs if we're there in June. Spurs fans should do the same.
________
Medical Marijuana Seeds (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

samikeyp
11-19-2005, 01:23 AM
But, the season is young. I'll worry about the Spurs if we're there in June. Spurs fans should do the same.

That was my point exactly.

ZStomp
11-19-2005, 01:29 AM

Are you serious? This early in the season?

SequSpur
11-19-2005, 01:29 AM
82 and 0 Forum.

FreshPrince22
11-19-2005, 02:01 AM
http://madrabbit.net/temp/pistons/darkomutumbo.jpg

Darko is a beast. Dikembe puts his finger in his face after Darko whacks him, and Darko just stands up to him and starts laughing in his face. Seconds later, Darko swats Dikembe's shot out of this area code. :fro
________
Lolli (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Lolli/)

samikeyp
11-19-2005, 02:06 AM
Holy shit...Darko has a pulse. That must have been great to watch.

samikeyp
11-19-2005, 02:07 AM
http://madrabbit.net/temp/pistons/darkomutumbo.jpg

"I have no fucking idea what he is saying or what language its in...but its damn funny!" :smokin

leemajors
11-19-2005, 02:28 AM
darko needs a white undershirt so he can keep a pack of smokes rolled in the sleeve. then he will be tough enough for that hair.

Lurks-a-lot
11-19-2005, 02:40 AM
LoL yeah the hair is a bit out of control.

FreshPrince22
11-19-2005, 02:53 AM
darko needs a white undershirt so he can keep a pack of smokes rolled in the sleeve. then he will be tough enough for that hair.

:lol

So true. Right when he gets rid of the lame highlights he comes out looking like a greaser
________
LadyNight18 (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/LadyNight18/)

Pistonfan1
11-19-2005, 03:28 AM
8-0 baby and on pace for 66-68 wins and then easily dominating the eastern playoffs before a grueling nba finals... :spin :spin :king :fro

mavsfan1000
11-19-2005, 03:35 AM
soon to be 8-1 :lol

FreshPrince22
11-19-2005, 03:41 AM
soon to be 8-1 :lol

Quite possibly. Ben got hurt in the closing seconds against the Rockets. It's on the back end of a back-to-back, the Mavs are a very good team, and it's on the road, so it's definately possible. It depends on what happens with Ben though. If he is fine, we should win this one.
________
Live sex webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

ata
11-19-2005, 04:09 AM
8-0 baby and on pace for 66-68 wins and then easily dominating the eastern playoffs before a grueling nba finals... :spin :spin :king :fro

And Yao one TO shy of tripple double!

Horry For 3!
11-19-2005, 04:33 AM
Pistons barely beat a beat-up Rockets team. Not good. I would be suprised if Pistons beat the Mavs tomorrow.

jochhejaam
11-19-2005, 07:31 AM
Holy shit...Darko has a pulse. That must have been great to watch.
That was a good watch. I think Sheed and others told Darko to watch out for Mutumbo's elbows and when he put the elbow up Darko gave it a forearm shiver of his own, had to hurt. :lol

FreshPrince22
11-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Pistons barely beat a beat-up Rockets team. Not good. I would be suprised if Pistons beat the Mavs tomorrow.

You guys beat them by only 6 at home. We beat them by 8 on the road (with Chauncey in bad foul trouble the whole 2nd half). I don't get it.
________
AlluringBaby live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/AlluringBaby)

Mark in Austin
11-19-2005, 08:59 AM
It's called homerism, dude.

People that write off the Pistons on this board are fools. Last year's finals came down to the last quarter of game 7 - it started tied. That's pretty fucking close for a team that was dealing with the distraction of Mr. play the game the right way's year-long cocktease act.

The Pacers and Heat might have more talent, but nobody in the east is a better team than Detriot. Ya'll deserve respect, and real fans will give it. Right now, there's no question in my mind that Detriot is the team coming out of the east.

5ToolMan
11-19-2005, 09:09 AM
They are playing the best in the NBA by far, SA is not even close.

Wow! It was amazing to see many of the uninformed over react to the preseason. Now, based upon less than 10 games, some are ready to somehow hand the Pistons over the rings.

Yea right. Last night, I watched the rested Pistons pushed to the limit by a worn Rockets who were playing the second night of a B2B. This was a night after short handed Spurs toyed with these some Rockets. Granted, the Spurs were in SBC while the Pistons had to visit the Toyota Center.

Don't get me wrong. I don't dismiss the Pistons. But considering all the factors, I see no reason to pitty the Spurs. Wake me up in May, when it starts to matter.

5ToolMan
11-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Granted the Pistons were a worthy finals opponent but you Duncan's ankles had a lot to do with that - he fought through it and like the team kept their cool, and when it counted down the stretch it was them, not basically the same Pistons squad who played like champs.

Agreed, and not only did the Spurs have Duncan at much less than 100%, they missed potential contribution from both Brown and Rasho for the entire playoffs.

People forget that Brown was the first swing man off the bench, and added solid defense and explosive offensive, before he went down. Rasho would have been effective in keeping the Spur's bigs fresher against the big front lines of the Nuggets, Sonics and Pistons.

Think about it. If you had hobbled one of the Wallace brothers, taken out their top interior and perimeter players off the bench AND let them play against a Spurs team at full strength, the Spurs would have swept in four.

In my view, without creative zebra work in games 3 and 4 AND an injured Manu, the Spurs still would have swept, despite injuries to Duncan, Rasho and Brown.

When I consider the above, and view the additions of Finley, NVE and Oberto as greater come playoff time than the Pistons small additions and downgrade in a playoff seasoned coaching staff, I see little to worry about.

jochhejaam
11-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Don't get me wrong. I don't dismiss the Pistons. But considering all the factors, I see no reason to pitty the Spurs. Wake me up in May, when it starts to matter.
Okay, quit posting 'til May, we'll give ya a hollah. :lol

Both teams are playing well, a 7-2 start would give a team 63-64 wins over the course of an entire season. I think the most wins last year were 62 by the Suns.

jochhejaam
11-19-2005, 09:41 AM
In my view, without creative zebra work in games 3 and 4 AND an injured Manu :cry :baby , the Spurs still would have swept, despite injuries to Duncan, Rasho and Brown.

Sorry but you can no longer be taken seriously. :rolleyes

samikeyp
11-19-2005, 09:50 AM
8-0 is 8-0. It doesn't guarantee a title(and Detroit fan is not saying it does) but it is still a hell of a start and they deserve props for it. Pistons are playing very well.

5ToolMan
11-19-2005, 12:20 PM

Psst ... the only object of the game is to win the Rings. In winning 3 of the last 7 Rings, the Spurs have not and are not cheating anyone. And anyone who says the Spurs don't bring it everynight, simply does not understand the game. While many teams look solid with flash in November and December, the Spurs "bring it" in subtle ways that develop into championship TEAMS in May and June.

Hint ... it is the Mavs of 03, Wolves of 04 and Suns of 05 who cheated the fans. They focused on meaningless victory to build meaningless records, only to miss developing all the little things that make TEAMS into champions.

Tony has played like he is now one of the best PG's in the NBA. Tim is at MVP form again. Manu, after a few games slowed by injury, is starting to deliver as only Manu can. And, despite injury to Finley and Barry, the Spurs bench has been among the strongest in the league.

It is a laugh to read "the glass is half empty" fools, as they dismiss the greatness that makes the glass half full and rising.

5ToolMan
11-19-2005, 12:30 PM
It's called homerism, dude.

People that write off the Pistons on this board are fools. Last year's finals came down to the last quarter of game 7 - it started tied. That's pretty fucking close for a team that was dealing with the distraction of Mr. play the game the right way's year-long cocktease act.

The Pacers and Heat might have more talent, but nobody in the east is a better team than Detriot. Ya'll deserve respect, and real fans will give it. Right now, there's no question in my mind that Detriot is the team coming out of the east.

Hmmm ... so in your real fans view, the Pistons were more distracted by Brown, who had been the same Brown for the entire two years he was with the team. I guess that makes me not a real fan, since I recognize the Spurs were slightly more effected by injuries to Tim, Brown and Rasho. Who is to say, the Pistons were not more motivated to deliver Brown B2B rings and save his sorry butt.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the Pistons. However, if not for the Spurs injuries, and some creative Zebra work in games 3 and 4, the Spurs sweep them last year. Considering the Spurs and Pistons recent additions, I like the Spurs even more, despite the Pistons fast start in NOVEMBER.

5ToolMan
11-19-2005, 12:34 PM

Wade and Walker have started to look pretty solid without Shaq. Wonder what they will look like with him???

November runs are nice. But the Pistons were a couple of injuries by Wade and Shaq away from an early exit last year. And if I remember correctly, the Pacers owned both in the early season, up untill the brawl.

It is November, wake me up in May.

ABDENOUR POWER
11-19-2005, 12:35 PM
However, if not for the Spurs injuries, and some creative Zebra work in games 3 and 4, the Spurs sweep them last year.

Sigh....

5ToolMan
11-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Sorry but you can no longer be taken seriously. :rolleyes

So in your view, the games were called the same as in games 1 and 2, in regard to contact? Unless you claim they were called the same, STFU with your petty insults.

In games 1 and 2 the Pistons were not allowed much to reach, grab and slap arms of the Spurs. And as we saw, in a game called in this manner, the Spurs run over the Pistons. In games 3 and 4, the Zebras suddenly swallowed the whistles allowing the Pistons to play Basket-Brawl, which was the only way they survived the sweep.

Not that this is unusual in the NBA. The Zebras are known to often be influenced by home crowds. While it happens less often in the playoffs, it still does, especially in the early games of a series. After reveiw of tapes, the Zebras, like the players, adjust.

Leetonidas
11-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Didn't Dallas go 14-0 before losing to Indiana in the Spurs 2003 Championship season, only to get sent away in six games in the Conference Finals?

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Man some of you need to quit sniffing the silver and black glue.

Detroit is a threat not because of their 8-0 start, but because of where they've been in the last two years come June - the Finals.

They have a veteran club, they've won one ring and if it weren't for Robert Horry saving Tim Duncan's shriviling nuts from the fire they would be working on a threepeat right now.

Bringing up Dallas and what they did in 2002-2003 is fucking stupid. They never played defense like Detroit plays, and they didn't know how to win a title, how it feels, and how to win down the stretch like the Pistons.

If some of you were paying attention this year, the Pistons have had several close games where they just ratcheted it up a notch in the fourth and pulled away late - that's what championship caliber teams do to people.

The threat from the Pistons is very real and some of you seem to have forgotten the fact if it weren't for an insane game from Horry in Detroit and another HOF level performance from him here in SA the Spurs would have lost last year.

Homervision is alive and well in SA.

jochhejaam
11-19-2005, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=5ToolMan]So in your view, the games were called the same as in games 1 and 2, in regard to contact?
I don't put any stock in the opinions of someone who's whining and complaining months after a championship was won by their team. Your posts indicate a lack of basketball knowledge and my view remains the same, you will not be taken seriously! :lol

boutons
11-19-2005, 02:16 PM
"only to get sent away in six games in the Conference Finals?"

Those 03 WCF Mavs were without Dirk, (about the same effect as the Spurs without a Tim).
But then those Mavs got past Kings with CWebb going down.

mavsfan1000
11-19-2005, 02:59 PM
I would pick the pistons over the spurs if I had to pick one. I like the addition of Maurice Evans over Finley and Van Exel. Maurice Evans can play some great defense along with his offense which makes Detroit that much better.

bdubya
11-19-2005, 03:14 PM
You guys beat them by only 6 at home. We beat them by 8 on the road (with Chauncey in bad foul trouble the whole 2nd half). I don't get it.

What worries me was summed up by a Houston writer:
"A night after San Antonio blew out the Rockets for three quarters and messed around late, the Pistons messed around for three quarters then blew them out down the stretch"
(http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3471494.html)

IOW, the Pistons are winning games in the 4th instead of in the 1st. Better than losing, but it's still "playing with the on/off switch", which cost them dearly last year.

FreshPrince22
11-19-2005, 03:18 PM
What worries me was summed up by a Houston writer:
"A night after San Antonio blew out the Rockets for three quarters and messed around late, the Pistons messed around for three quarters then blew them out down the stretch"
(http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3471494.html)

IOW, the Pistons are winning games in the 4th instead of in the 1st. Better than losing, but it's still "playing with the on/off switch", which cost them dearly last year.

It's better than last year. At least this year our offense will keep us in the game while they play "on/off" defense. It's good to see that we are manhandling teams in the 2nd half, when it really matters. Obviously that will catch up to us at some point, but I suspect the effort will be more sustained against teams we can't do that against (SA, Indy, Miami, etc). You don't want the team to wear itself out this early in the season by busting ass for 4 quarters.
________
Peachy live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Peachy)

bdubya
11-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Oh, it's DEFINITELY better than last year, don't get me wrong. But I don't think they need to bust ass for 4 quarters; if they could jump on some of these teams out of the gate and build an early lead, the starters could sit and maybe the bench could get more minutes. Regardless, it's definitely better this year, and as for tonight.....my gut tells me Pistons win this one on the offensive end, with the Mavs not knowing what hit them.

9-0 by sunrise. :fro

5ToolMan
11-19-2005, 05:43 PM
"only to get sent away in six games in the Conference Finals?"

Those 03 WCF Mavs were without Dirk, (about the same effect as the Spurs without a Tim).
But then those Mavs got past Kings with CWebb going down.

The Mavs were toast before Dirk went down. They actually had more success playing small ball against the Spurs.

5ToolMan
11-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Man some of you need to quit sniffing the silver and black glue.

Detroit is a threat not because of their 8-0 start, but because of where they've been in the last two years come June - the Finals.

They have a veteran club, they've won one ring and if it weren't for Robert Horry saving Tim Duncan's shriviling nuts from the fire they would be working on a threepeat right now.

Bringing up Dallas and what they did in 2002-2003 is fucking stupid. They never played defense like Detroit plays, and they didn't know how to win a title, how it feels, and how to win down the stretch like the Pistons.

If some of you were paying attention this year, the Pistons have had several close games where they just ratcheted it up a notch in the fourth and pulled away late - that's what championship caliber teams do to people.

The threat from the Pistons is very real and some of you seem to have forgotten the fact if it weren't for an insane game from Horry in Detroit and another HOF level performance from him here in SA the Spurs would have lost last year.

Homervision is alive and well in SA.

You need to get your nose out of the cow pie, little aggie. No one is disrespecting the Pistons. Neither are many cowering at their greatness, despite their 8 - 0 start. I would assume most Spurs fans would not run scared of the threat of the big bad Pistons. That is, unless they are Chicken Little. The Spurs have given the Spurs fans reason to believe in them Maybe you and the rest of the rest of the Chicken Little Minds needs to get with the program and type a little smack.

Kobayagi
11-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Mavs 32 - Pistons 12 :???

Marklar MM
11-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Mavs 32 - Pistons 12 :???

They are hitting everything. Running hooks through the lane, jumpers, everything.