PDA

View Full Version : LA Clippers (6-2) at LA Lakers (4-4)

ducks
11-18-2005, 12:46 PM
LA Clippers (6-2) at LA Lakers (4-4)

Preview - Box Score - Recap

Game Info: 10:30 pm EST Fri Nov 18, 2005
TV: KTLA, FxW Add to Calendar
Buy Tickets

Maybe this is finally the season the Clippers take the upper hand over their Los Angeles rivals.
The surprise leaders of the Pacific Division, the Clippers look to prevent the Lakers from climbing back over .500 when the teams meet at Staples Center.

These rivals split four meetings last season, with the Clippers winning the last two.

They now could be poised to win a season series from the Lakers for the first time since the 1992-93 season, thanks greatly to the backcourt additions of Sam Cassell and Cuttino Mobley.

That veteran duo is averaging nearly 32 points and 12 assists per game for a Clippers squad that is alone atop the Pacific, two games in front of the third-place Lakers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Cassell had 23 points and nine assists as the Clippers beat the visiting Milwaukee Bucks 109-85 on Tuesday.

"It feels good to have the team playing at such a high level," Cassell said. "Corey (Maggette), Elton (Brand), it's their team. I'm just a guy who's going to run the ship. I've only got a couple of years left to play in this league. I'm playing this year and two more, and I'm done.

"I'm going to be a reserve next year and I'm going to live it out."

While Brand is the team's top scorer and rebounder, Maggette is providing a big boost off the bench.

Since missing the first four games with a strained hamstring, Maggette is averaging 19.5 points while shooting 50 percent from the field. He had 21 points on Tuesday.

"I'm just glad my team is winning and playing good right now," Maggette said. "Our team has a lot of weapons, and each game we have to use them to win."

If the Clippers are going to send the Lakers back below .500, they may have to concentrate on slowing down Kobe Bryant. He averaged more than 33 points in three games against the Clippers last season.

Bryant scored a season-high 42 to lead the Lakers to a 97-92 home victory over the New York Knicks on Wednesday.

"I went after it a little bit more aggressively and the team did a good job looking for me," Bryant said.

While Bryant ranks second in the league with 31.4 points per game, the Lakers know they must continue to get production from their supporting cast.

"It has to be a balance for us," said center Chris Mihm. averaging 15 points and 9.3 rebounds in the last three games. "Kobe is a special player, but there is no way that he can shoulder the load himself."

STANDINGS (through Nov. 17): Clippers - 1st place, Pacific Division. Lakers - 3rd place, 2 GB, Pacific Division.

PROBABLE STARTERS: Clippers - F Quinton Ross, F Brand, C Chris Kaman, G Mobley, G Cassell. Lakers - F Lamar Odom, F Kwame Brown, C Mihm, G Bryant, G Smush Parker.

TEAM LEADERS: Clippers - Brand, 23.3 ppg and 9.5 rpg; Cassell, 8.1 apg. Lakers - Bryant, 31.4 ppg; Odom, 9.6 rpg and 5.1 apg.

2004-05 SEASON SERIES: 2-2.

LAST MEETING: March 8, 2005; Clippers, 110-101. At Los Angeles, Brand had 22 points and 15 rebounds to lead the Clippers. Bryant scored 41 points for the Lakers.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Clippers - 3-2 on the road. Lakers - 2-1 at home.

ducks
11-19-2005, 09:48 AM
LA Clippers 97, LA Lakers 91
Preview - Box Score - Recap

By KEN PETERS, AP Sports Writer
November 19, 2005

Los Angeles Clippers' Elton Brand spins around Los Angeles Lakers Brian Cook during the fourth quarter Friday, Nov. 18, 2005, in Los Angeles. Brand blocked five shots and scored a team-high 23 points as the Clippers defeated the Lakers 97-91.
AP - Nov 19, 1:47 am EST
More Photos
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The NBA's balance of power in Los Angeles seems to be shifting.

Led by Elton Brand, the Clippers beat Kobe Bryant and the Lakers 97-91 on Friday night.

Bryant, making some of his off-balance, high-arcing jumpers but missing more often, scored 36 points on 12-of-35 shooting.

The win extended the Clippers' franchise-best start to 7-2 and was their third victory in a row over their city rivals dating to last season.

"The wins keep piling up. It's not about a rivalry," said Brand, who had 23 points, 14 rebounds and five blocks. "If you ask us, we think we're a better team. We have a better record, we're in the same division, and it feels good to get out of here with this one."

Bryant noted the Clippers' improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT
"They made a lot of big changes this year. Their management team went out there and made some big acquisitions and brought in some very talented players along with the players that have been here," Bryant said. "It is a good team."

Corey Maggette added 21 points, Cuttino Mobley had 20, and Sam Cassell had 17 for the Clippers, who never trailed.

Both Cassell, who turned 36 Friday, and Mobley are newcomers this season.

"Lakers versus Clippers is great for the fans and the community and we just want to keep it going," Maggette said. "We wanted it. It's great to beat the Lakers, so maybe we have some bragging rights."

Lamar Odom had 18 points for the Lakers, who dropped to 4-5.

The Clippers and Lakers split their series 2-2 last season. The Lakers lead the series 78-22 since the Clippers moved to Los Angeles, and 124-42 in all games against the franchise.

The Clippers were ahead 74-65 heading into the fourth quarter, and increased the lead to 78-65 before the Lakers began a comeback that cut it to 87-82 with 2:54 remaining. But they got no closer.

Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant wipes his face during the fourth quarter against the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday, Nov. 18, 2005, in Los Angeles. Bryant scored a game-high 36 points, but the Lakers lost, 97-91.
AP - Nov 19, 1:41 am EST
More Photos
Bryant scored 12 points in the fourth, but 10 of those came on 11 free throws. He was good on only one of his nine field goal tries in the quarter.

"I think we are relying on me way too much and I am taking way too many shots to try to keep us competitive," Bryant said. "We really have to get back to the basics."

The Clippers shot 44 percent to the Lakers' 39 percent.

Bryant scored 13 points for the Lakers in the third, but his teammates totaled only seven points in the period.

The Clippers were up 53-45 at halftime after leading 27-21 at the end of the opening period.

Although they never led, the Lakers pulled even four times in the first half, the last at 43 on Bryant's drive and free throw 4:03 before halftime.

Brand hit a 14-footer to put the Clippers back in front, and they went on to open an eight-point lead over the closing four minutes of the half.

Notes

Lakers F Kwame Brown left in the third quarter with a right hamstring strain. He had two points and eight rebounds. ... The game drew a sellout crowd of 18,997 to Staples Center, where both teams play, but it was the Lakers' home game. ... Lakers C Chris Mihm has been playing on a sore left ankle, but didn't appear to be slowed much. He had 12 points and nine rebounds. ... The Clippers last won a season series against the Lakers in 1992-93, and had done it just once before that, in 1974-75.

Bloodline666
11-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Heheheheheh! GO CLIPS GO!