PDA

View Full Version : Timeline of events surrounding the brawl at The Palace

ducks
11-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Timeline of events surrounding the brawl at The Palace

November 18, 2005
A look at the Nov. 19, 2004, brawl involving the Indiana Pacers, Detroit Pistons and fans in Auburn Hills, Mich., and its aftermath:

-- Indiana's Ron Artest fouls Detroit's Ben Wallace as he goes in for a layup with 45.9 seconds left and the Pacers leading 97-82.

-- Wallace wheels around and delivers a hard, two-handed shove to Artest's chin, which leads to pushing and shoving with several players near midcourt.

ADVERTISEMENT

-- Artest rests on the scorer's table with his hands behind his head, looking relaxed. Wallace tries to get at Artest, but is held back by teammates and coaches.

-- As players shout at each other, Wallace throws a wristband toward Artest, who stands up briefly before lying back down on the scorer's table.

-- A fan near midcourt hits Artest in the face with a cup filled with ice and a beverage.

-- Artest storms into the stands and attacks a fan he thinks hurled the cup.

-- Indiana's Stephen Jackson joins his teammate in the seats and starts throwing punches.

-- David Harrison, Eddie Gill and Fred Jones of the Pacers, Detroit's Rasheed Wallace and former Piston Rick Mahorn try to break up the fight between Pacers and fans, who land their share of punches.

-- Back on the court near Indiana's bench, Artest punches a fan wearing a Pistons jersey who walks toward him. Jermaine O'Neal lands a vicious right hand to a fan's face.

-- Pacers players and coaches leave the floor and are showered with beer, popcorn and other debris, and a folding chair is hurled toward them.

-- Indiana's Jamaal Tinsley tries to go back on the court, holding a dust pan over his head, but is turned back to the locker room.

AFTERMATH:

-- The NBA suspends Artest (for the rest of the season), Jackson (30 games), O'Neal (25), Wallace (six), Indiana's Anthony Johnson (five), Reggie Miller (one), Detroit's Chauncey Billups (one), Elden Campbell (one) and Derrick Coleman (one).

-- Authorities say fan John Green threw the cup that hit Artest.

-- Artest, Jackson, Harrison and Johnson are charged with one count each of assault and battery. O'Neal is charged with two counts of assault and battery. Eight fans, including Wallace's brother, David, are charged for their roles in the brawl.

-- An arbitrator reduces O'Neal's suspension from 25 to 15 games.

-- Fans Charlie Haddad and Alvin Shackelford Jr., plead no contest to charges of walking on the court during the brawl and are sentenced to probation and community service.

-- The brawl inspires an episode of NBC's fictional "Law & Order."

-- Spectators David Wallace, for misdemeanor assault and battery, and Jeremy Handley, for throwing objects at a performance or sporting event, are sentenced to probation and community service.

-- The start of Indiana's next game in Detroit is delayed by 1 hour, 25 minutes because of a telephoned threat that there is a bomb in the Pacers' locker room.

-- Bryant Jackson, accused of throwing a chair, pleads no contest to one count of felony assault and one count of misdemeanor assault and battery and is later sentenced to two years probation.

-- The five Pacers plead no contest to misdemeanor assault and battery charges and are sentenced to a year of probation and community service.

-- Attorney Larry Charfoos, who represents Haddad, says O'Neal, Johnson and the Pacers are being sued by his client. Charfoos says the civil case will start with depositions this winter and is expected to head to court next summer.

-- Other lawsuits are filed against the Pacers, including one by a Palace security guard.

-- Charges against three fans, including Green, are pending.

mike detroit
11-19-2005, 12:08 AM
I've always wondered what tinsley was planning to do with that dustpan.

Bloodline666
11-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Anyone have photos of that fight anywhere? I happened to miss that game; ironically, the NFL teams from the same two cities faced each other a few days later on Thanksgiving (needless to say, the Colts SPANKED the Lions; I saw that game, though)

Marklar MM
11-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Anyone have photos of that fight anywhere? I happened to miss that game; ironically, the NFL teams from the same two cities faced each other a few days later on Thanksgiving (needless to say, the Colts SPANKED the Lions; I saw that game, though)

ESPN homepage. Do the photo timeline or something like that.

lilmads
11-19-2005, 12:07 PM
I remember that game. I was falling asleep watching it with my cousin and all of a sudden a huge fight breaks out and we were all up watchin' it all excited wondering who was beating up who. Damn, what a night!

Summers
11-19-2005, 04:16 PM
There's a video somewhere that's several minutes long. I'll see if I can find it. Here's a short version in the meantime:
http://www.ogrish.com/archives/detroit_palace_brawl_pacers_pistons_fight_video_No v_20_2004.html