PDA

View Full Version : Indiana expected to re-sign O'Neal

IcemanCometh
06-18-2003, 02:49 PM
There has been much talk about 6-11 Jermaine O'Neal's free-agent future, but agent Bill Duffy is convinced there's no chance Indiana's center-forward will end up in Dallas or San Antonio.

from the DMN

ducks
06-18-2003, 02:51 PM
prety dumb for his agent to let that go public already before he is signed. he could use the spurs as leverage.

Truthsayer
06-18-2003, 02:58 PM
If he's already agreed to accept the max - who needs leverage?

This is what I long expected. O'Neal is staying put. I think he just plain likes playing in Indiana.

Tony Le Parker
06-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Jermaine O'neal isn't listed on their website... www.bdasports.com/ (http://www.bdasports.com/) , but guess who is.... Michael Olowakandi. Kandi-ass sucks so bad that he can't even get a look on his own merit, just on the premise that everyone else is taken.

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2003, 03:07 PM
If Olowokandi's agent says it then it must be true.

Ghost Writer
06-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Gee. I didn't see this coming... :rolleyes

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2003, 03:10 PM
You didn't see Olowokandi's agent trying to improve his client's chances? Re-read the thread, O brilliant one.

Ghost Writer
06-18-2003, 03:13 PM
Wake me up when O'Neal signs with the Spurs. Thank Pop we won the title this year unexpectedly. You homers would not be able to handle the disappointment of not landing that coveted superstar this summer if we hadn't.

:cooldevil

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2003, 03:14 PM
Right. You told us that the Spurs would never win a title during the last two years. Guess your crystal balls were a little cloudy that day, your highness.

Ghost Writer
06-18-2003, 03:17 PM
I never say 'never', Marcus. Actually, I laid out the moves in the rotation that Popovich would have to make to give us a shot this postseason while you had your nose buried in a book, Marcus.

Cap space guarantees nothing. Still.

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Right.

The Spurs just won a championship with 6 of their 8 man rotation under 28 years of age. Stephen Jackson hit three big 3s to claim the victory in the 4th quarter of the decisive Game 6. The Spurs have the best player in the league who was 2 blocks shy of the 5th quadruple double in NBA history. Now they have $15 mil in cap room.

AND YOU COMPLAIN.

No surprise.

IcemanCometh
06-18-2003, 03:20 PM
shut up ghost.

rule of thumb

never believe an agent

and ignore ghost

ducks
06-18-2003, 03:21 PM
did not duncan want to leave before dave talked to him?

there is still a chance that oneal will come..

Morphgizmo
06-18-2003, 03:25 PM
What does DMN stand for again?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2003, 03:36 PM
DMN = Dumbass Morning News.

Yeah, of course his agent is gonna speak up and tell the truth prior to opening negotiations.

Riiiight. If anything this leads me to believe our odds are better than indicated.

AHF

Ghost Writer
06-18-2003, 03:44 PM
Marcus, somehow you still confuse realistic logic that you don't want to agree with as someone else complaining.

Your counterpoints keep accusing me of "complaining" whenver I trump your meandering "what ifs".

Why don't we just see how this thing plays out.

I'll hope for the best and expect the worse, while you insist on the best and b1tch about the worst.

Morphgizmo
06-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Duffy?

The only blurb I could find about JO's agent is here:

www.nba.com/pacers/news/pace_030206_oneal.html (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pace_030206_oneal.html)

“Every year, All-Star Weekend provides the NBA family and its fans the opportunity to come together to celebrate the game of basketball," said Arn Tellem, President and CEO of SFX Basketball - which represents all three players. "Tracy, Jermaine and Antoine truly are All-Stars -- both on and off the court. The All-Star Game is an ideal platform to communicate the message that NBA players remain mindful of the sacrifices of our troops around the world.”

Morphgizmo
06-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Ah, here it is. But what the hell does Duffy know if he isn't JO's agent?

www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/basketball/mavs/stories/061803dnspomavsdate.5b0be.html (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/basketball/mavs/stories/061803dnspomavsdate.5b0be.html)

Indiana expected to re-sign O'Neal

There has been much talk about 6-11 Jermaine O'Neal's free-agent future, but agent Bill Duffy is convinced there's no chance Indiana's center-forward will end up in Dallas or San Antonio. Duffy represents a passel of NBA players, including the Mavericks' Steve Nash.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2003, 04:25 PM
What interest would Duffy have of heading off the Mavs at the pass when they're looking for a big man?

Oh, I don't know, nothing other than the fact that he counts on Rasho Nesterovic and Michael Olowokandi, not to mention several foreign players the Mavs may be looking at drafting or signing as free agents, as clients.

This report has been exposed, case closed.

AHF

kohai
06-18-2003, 05:05 PM
Arn Tellem....****.

Arn and Pop are, well....
:argue

Morphgizmo
06-18-2003, 05:08 PM
Who did this guy represent before that had trouble with Pop?

I thought DA's agent was the only guy that didn't get along with Pop and Co.

Pooh
06-18-2003, 05:53 PM
Well he's probably going to still check out San Antonio and Orlando, but I hate to say I told you so. :)

IcemanCometh
06-18-2003, 05:55 PM
lammond murray

kohai
06-18-2003, 05:59 PM
Morph - Arn Tellem represented Lamond Murray, and had reached an agreement with the Spurs in '99 to the point where the league was notified of the action, then backed out when Cleveland came a'callin with a S&T. Pop was FURIOUS with him to the point where he refused to take part in the Will Perdue negotiations, letting the not yet GM in '99 RC Buford handle them. Will ended up getting less than SA offered him, because Chicago made his second year non - guaranteed.

ChumpDumper
06-18-2003, 06:36 PM
Well he's probably going to still check out San Antonio and Orlando, but I hate to say I told you so.

You'd love to say I told you so, but this isn't even JO's agent talking.

Morphgizmo
06-18-2003, 11:55 PM
Thanks Ice and kohai.

I forgot about that chapter in Spurs history.

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2003, 01:25 AM
O'Neal seems rather displeased with the state of the Pacers. Off the court he isn't too enthused about living in Indianapolis and dealing with those mild Indiana winters.

Spurs gotta give him the superstar treatment though when they recruit him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-19-2003, 01:41 AM
There needs to be an article in the paper the day Jermaine arrives titled:

"Local meteorologists wonder if it will ever snow in San Antonio again."

I heard his family hates winters :spin

AHF

timvp
06-19-2003, 01:45 AM
In case it's not clear, Bill Duffy isn't O'Neal's agent.

This means nothing.

adidas11
06-19-2003, 02:03 AM
Just another agent speaking his mind. I wouldn't put TOO much stock in his statement.

But I've maintained all along that O'neal is staying. He can get the most money, per CBA, by staying with his original team. And the Pacers have a solid nucleus and a good future ahead for them. And he's the focal point of the team, both defensively, and offensively. Don't count on him coming to SA.

Coolidge
06-19-2003, 02:14 AM
Once you factor in state income taxes that difference isn't too great. The Spurs can also give him a player option prior to expiration so that extra guaranteed year wouldn't mean much.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-19-2003, 02:49 AM
adidas,

When you factor in state income tax, I believe the difference is about 5 million dollars over the length of the contract.

Couple that with:

1. Endorsement contracts coupling him with Tim

2. More importantly, the bonuses that players are rewarded by the league for advancing each round in the playoffs (he'd be getting WCF/Finals bonuses as opposed to one and done in the east)

And it'd probably be a wash, hell he might even come out ahead here in SA.

AHF

Jimcs50
06-19-2003, 10:20 AM
O'Neal is coming to town. Who wouldn't leave Indy for a chance to win multiple championships and make enough money to last 50 lifetimes in the process? Ludicrous debate IMO...... Pop and Tim will be on his doorstep at 12:01 am July 1st with donuts, coffee and the Larry O'Brien Trophies in each hand. Done deal.....

Ghost Writer
06-19-2003, 10:46 AM
I'd like to think that the allure of playing for the Spurs would be too much for O'Neal to turn down, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Jimcs50
06-19-2003, 11:02 AM
He better, or I am out $100. :)

CrazyOne
06-19-2003, 11:34 AM
I'm glad to see that you're guided by altruistic motives, as always, Jim.. :wink

TwoHandJam
06-19-2003, 12:20 PM
When you factor in state income tax, I believe the difference is about 5 million dollars over the length of the contract.

It's even better than that:
NYtimes (http://www.nytimes.com/auth/login?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/18/sports/basketball/18nets.html)

"But the Nets can only offer up to a six-year deal worth the maximum salary because Kidd will turn 36 before the seventh year of the contract. According to the Over 36 Rule in the collective bargaining agreement, a player's current team is prohibited from signing the player to a maximum salary for seven years. The starting maximum salary is computed by taking 30 percent of the salary cap for a player who has completed seven to nine years of service. Most league executives believe the salary cap will be set July 16 somewhere between $40 million to $43 million. If the cap were at $41 million, for example, that would set Kidd's starting salary at $12.3 million. For a total of six years, the Nets could offer $96.8625 million. The Spurs could offer $92.25 million."

And that's before considering the absence of state income tax in SA. All things considered, Kidd could make more money coming to SA I believe.

TwoHandJam
06-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Another article about it here:

NJ article (http://www.nj.com/nets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1056004422165050.xml)

adidas11
06-19-2003, 12:37 PM
I've never heard of this Over36 rule before! This is definitely news to me!

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Kidd won't be able to get that 7th year from the Nets but O'Neal will be offered that by the Pacers. I'm sure that it will be more than the Spurs can offer with a 6 year deal when taxes are factored in but the thing to remember is that the Spurs can offer to include a player option for JO'Neal after the 4th year (I believe). That way JO'Neal could opt out and re-sign and get paid just about the same. Of course, it still wouldn't be the same amount of guaranteed money up front but it's not like the Spurs are trumped by that 7th year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-19-2003, 02:29 PM
TwoHand,

I'm talking about Jermaine. I could GAF about Kidd, I want O'Neal.

AHF

Jimcs50
06-19-2003, 03:31 PM
Marcus. comon...what is the difference betw 70 million and 80 million, really? Does it really matter?

Here is my strategy for getting O'Neal, and Kori, you can pass this on to the Spurs organization if you like:

Have Pop, Tim, DRob and Kevin Willis all meet with O'Neal. Tim and Dave can tell him how great the Spurs organization is and show him their three MVP trophys, their two rings(soom to be four).
Pop can tell him all about his coaching philosophies, which Jermain knows some about from last Summer and what he expects from him if he becomes a Spur.
And the Ace in the hole here which is played last, have Kevin tell him about how he waited 17 yrs for a ring, and how he doubted he would ever get to the promised land, because you have to be on the right team at the right time. You have to try from early in your career to position yourself for a championship, because if you just play for the money and do not make the sacrifices early in your career, you might look back and regret that you never gave yourself that opportunity to win it. As the years and opportunities keep passing you by, you lament on past chances that slipped past you. Kevin should say that he got lucky getting on the Spurs this year, but a lot of great players (he can rattle off the names) were not so fortunite, and Jermaine should jump on this opportunity now and then he can have no regrets later in life, because he gave himself the best chance to win the ring when he had the golden opportunity. And Tim , Dave and Pop can nod knowingly at Jermaine while he ponders over this advice. Man, this would work like a charm.

CosmicCowboyXXX
06-19-2003, 03:45 PM
OK Jim you convinced me...

have your guy get with my guy and they can do lunch and work out the details...:lol

Jimcs50
06-19-2003, 04:00 PM
CC, your guy can not help.:)

TwoHandJam
06-19-2003, 04:02 PM
I'm talking about Jermaine. I could GAF about Kidd, I want O'Neal.

Have you taken a look at my signature and Avatar lately? I don't want Kidd either, I was just keeping people informed.

However, if we can't get ONeal or Brand, I'd have to say we should get Kidd and see where we go from there.

CosmicCowboyXXX
06-19-2003, 04:13 PM
CC, your guy can not help.

well...since you don't see any real difference between 70 and 80 million my guy certainly couldn't hurt...:lol

Jimcs50
06-19-2003, 04:56 PM
CC, to prove my point, if you had a choice to win 80 million in lotto and live in a place where you were not as happy at work, or win 70 million and live where you are happier at work and have more perks, would the 10 mil matter that much?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Jim,

Whether I won 70 million or 80 million, the hell with work - I'm retiring. :eyebrow

AHF