PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia (6-3) at Miami (5-3)

ducks
11-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Philadelphia (6-3) at Miami (5-3)
Philadelphia (6-3) at Miami (5-3)

Preview - Box Score - Recap

Game Info: 7:30 pm EST Fri Nov 18, 2005
TV: WPSG, SUNS Add to Calendar
Buy Tickets

The Miami Heat are starting to realize that life without Shaquille O'Neal doesn't have to be that bad, especially with Dwyane Wade still in the lineup.
Miami seeks its fourth straight victory without its All-Star center when it hosts Allen Iverson and the even hotter Philadelphia 76ers.

O'Neal has missed six straight games with a sprained ankle, and a timetable for his return has not yet been set.

The Heat, who reached the Eastern Conference finals during O'Neal's first season in Miami, improved to 4-2 during the dominant big man's absence with Tuesday's 109-102 overtime win over New Orleans.

Wade, the team leader in scoring and assists, scored Miami's final eight points in overtime and finished with 25 and 10 assists despite shooting a season-worst 7-of-21 from the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I knew it wasn't my might, but as a player, you're going to go through nights like that," said Wade, who emerged as one of the NBA's brightest new starts last season. "I have a lot of confidence in my ability, but my teammates and coaches do, too."

Miami coach Stan Van Gundy was happy to come away with the win after the Heat struggled to find a rhythm. They shot just 44 percent and were outscored 54-28 in the paint -- a clear sign of their interior deficiencies without the 7-foot O'Neal.

"I'm not really sure how we won the game," Van Gundy said. "It was a crazy game because they totally outplayed us and outworked us. We didn't do much well tonight except shoot free throws and take care of the ball."

After a dismal 0-3 start, Iverson has led the Sixers to six consecutive wins, including Wednesday's 121-115 victory over Toronto, completing a home-and-home sweep of the winless Raptors.

Iverson scored a season-high 42 points, including the 17,000th of his career, and Andre Iguodala added a career-best 26 and 10 rebounds. Iverson, the NBA's leading scorer, is averaging 32 points per game during the Sixers' win streak, helping Philadelphia to a 107.7 team average in that stretch.

"I think the biggest part of this was the fact that we were coming into an arena where the guys were 0-7," Iverson said after his 60th career 40-point effort.

"The (Raptors) are hungry and they needed to win desperately, so obviously they are going to bring energy and effort. Then we go out big on them and they come back, make their run and tie the game up, and we still win the basketball game."

The Sixers have won 16 of their last 21 games against the Heat, but have dropped three straight in Miami.

STANDINGS (through Nov. 17): 76ers - 1st place, Atlantic Division. Heat - 1st place (tied), Southeast Division.

PROBABLE STARTERS: 76ers - F Kyle Korver, F Chris Webber, C Steven Hunter, G Iguodala, G Iverson. Heat - F James Posey, F Udonis Haslem, C Alonzo Mourning, G Jason Williams, G Wade.

TEAM LEADERS: 76ers - Iverson, 31.9 ppg and 8.2 apg; Webber, 9.9 rpg. Heat - Wade, 24.5 ppg and 7.6 apg; Haslem, 8.6 rpg.

2004-05 SEASON SERIES: Tied, 2-2.

LAST MEETING: April 14, 2005; Sixers, 126-119 (OT). At Philadelphia, Iverson scored 38 points and Marc Jackson added 26 as the Sixers rallied from a nine-point halftime deficit. Wade scored a career-high 48 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Heat.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: 76ers - 2-1 on the road; Heat - 4-1 at home.