PDA

View Full Version : It's time for Marbury to be dealt

ducks
11-19-2005, 09:59 AM
It's time for Marbury to be dealt

Saturday, November 19th, 2005

DENVER - You can just imagine Isiah Thomas' face yesterday when he went on-line in Maui and read accounts of what was going on here with his deeply troubled team.

Thomas' trademark smile, the one that was on display in Los Angeles on Wednesday night, must have turned into an angry scowl. Only nine games into the season, the Knicks' president has a first-rate fiasco on his hands, with Larry Brown and Stephon Marbury at each other's throats.

Thomas was in Hawaii to watch college teams play games and practice at the Maui Invitational and wasn't talking to the media. But it would be smart for him to start looking more closely at all the point guards in Maui. Because it's clear that he should be in the market for one.

Marbury needs to be traded. We all know the hurdles that have to be cleared to get that accomplished. The $70-plus million left on his contract. His reputation for improving teams - after he leaves. The negative effect he has on his teammates, and on his team's won-lost record. The list is endless.

But he's got to go. The Brown program, which continued last night with another loss against the Nuggets, isn't going to make any progress if Marbury continues to buck his coach's system. If anything, his continued presence will prevent the team from going forward.

Marbury has made it clear that if the Knicks keep losing - they're 2-7 now after going 2-4 on the West Coast trip - he won't be happy doing things Brown's way. So it's going to only get uglier because this team isn't going to find the win column many times. Not in this present state.

Someone asked Brown after the 95-86 defeat if he knows more about his team.

"I know a lot," he said.

Such as? Brown looked down and didn't answer, but he didn't have to. He knows he's got a point guard who doesn't want to play point guard. Not his way, anyway. Last night, Brown didn't think much of the way Marbury went about his business in the second half, when the Knicks self-destructed with turnovers. He sat Marbury the final 6:31. Was he thinking about tomorrow's game against Portland at the Garden?

"No," Brown said. "I thought about getting back in the game."

Because with Marbury in the game, trying to run the team, things were a mess. Marbury again looked totally lost.

The Brown-Marbury marriage, doomed from Day 1, is not going to change for the better. Not with Marbury poisoning the waters with selfish drivel, and not with Brown pouncing on his every public criticism. Nothing is more sacred to Garden CEO Jim Dolan than his minions "being on the same page." This has to be the No. 1 nightmare at Two Penn Plaza. It can change only when Marbury leaves.

Let's remember, Brown is 100% right here. Even when he gives up Marbury at every turn for being the me-first player he is. Yesterday's gem came when he revealed that from the start, Marbury asked to be used just like Allen Iverson. He never wanted to be the point guard.

Then, responding to Marbury's complaints about Brown not letting him be aggressive, Brown had this dandy: "If it is about one person, I think he should run track."

Perhaps Marbury should try it. Because he can't run the Knicks. In private, Thomas has to be in agreement with his coach. Thomas did Marbury the biggest favor of his life by hiring the one coach who could turn his mediocre career around, if any coach could. Look at the thanks Isiah got in return: A player who staged a mutiny in Los Angeles when he didn't run plays that Brown called from the bench.

Isiah has to know that moving Marbury is best for the health and well-being of the franchise. Sure, it would be a major blow to his ego. But he's also smart enough to realize that Brown is the key to returning the Knicks to the playoffs. Not Marbury.

Marbury might be the very last to know that. He told ESPN the other day in Los Angeles that Thomas never would move him because of his special relationship with the Knicks' president. But you got the sense listening to Thomas that he is beginning to shift away from Marbury. Anyone, he said, could be traded.

"I make no bones about it," he said. "I am loyal to winning. I'm not necessarily loyal to a player or a coach. My job is to be loyal to the win."

But his No. 1 job right now should be getting rid of Stephon Marbury.

ducks
11-19-2005, 10:00 AM
Stephon Marbury: Wants to Play Off Guard

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Friday, November 18, 2005
Update: Marbury has told Knicks coach Larry Brown that he feels he'd be more effective playing off the ball, the New York Daily News reports.

Recommendation: "He told me he wanted to play off guard," Brown told the New York Daily News. "Well, it's not that easy right now. What are we going to invent a point guard? He told me he wanted to play like the way I used Allen (Iverson). Well, I had Eric Snow, Larry Hughes, Aaron McKie. It's a little different now." Brown also commented that the Knicks ran 15 pick-and-roll plays for Marbury in their loss to the Lakers on Wednesday, suggesting that his system is not the reason Marbury scored just four points. Perhaps this clash between hall-of-fame coach and star player will inspire general manager Isiah Thomas to acquire an actual NBA point guard -- something in short supply on New York's roster currently.

ducks
11-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Marbury, who said he was upset with his role in Brown's system after a four-point night in a loss to the Lakers earlier this week, didn't see his role change much in this one. He stayed at point guard and finished with nine points and nine assists, while spending the end of the game on the bench with a towel draped over his head.
this was against the nuggets last night

ducks
11-19-2005, 10:01 AM
beno or barry for frye ?
then marbury could play shooting guard

boutons
11-20-2005, 11:11 AM
The New York Times
November 20, 2005

Sports of The Times

For Marbury, It's Tougher to Go Home
By GEORGE VECSEY

WHILE assessing their vexing Manny Ramirez situation, the Mets may want to cast a wary eye westward at the World's Most Famous Arena, just to see how the Stephon Marbury predicament is working out.

It is not easy to come home. It is not easy to play in New York. And it is particularly not easy when New York is home.

Not that New York is the active ingredient in the miasma hanging over Marbury right now. If anything, those New York chromosomes should have transmitted some flexibility, some ingenuity, into Marbury's makeup. Instead, he has picked a fight with the Knicks' designer coach, Larry Brown - a fight Marbury cannot win.

This is not to say that Manny Ramirez from Washington Heights has the same makeup as Stephon Marbury from Coney Island.

But before the Mets commit real dollars to the rightful premise that Ramirez would automatically be the best power hitter ever to play for the Mets, Omar Minaya, the general manager, may want to check out the reality of Minaya's own hometown: It's not for everybody.

Marbury will discover that at noon today when he leads the Knicks onto the Garden floor - well, no, actually Marbury doesn't lead anybody anywhere. He plays his own game, which is, Get Ball, Pass or Shoot (Preferably Shoot).

That is not what Brown wants from his best guard. Brown wants Marbury to distribute the ball more, but that is not Marbury's concept of Stephon being Stephon.

Boggled at losing seven of the first nine games, after Friday night's defeat in Denver, Marbury is already showing signs of cracking, grumbling in public about wanting to shoot more. Brown promptly brought up the reality that Marbury has never improved a team in his first four stops in the league.

The Knicks' fans, as plugged in as they are, are sure to remind Marbury of his statements today. He is not in the it's-all-about-me stage of Terrell Owens, who violated the basic tenet of football - do not take on your own quarterback.

Marbury just wants to shoot more, in the same crabby, confused way he did it in Minnesota, New Jersey and Phoenix before coming home to the Garden. He has almost worn out his welcome. He's not necessarily a bad person, just limited. But by raising the issue, he has invited the Garden crowd to judge him.

It's a tough crowd. Bobby Bonilla discovered that when he came home, and wound up threatening to show somebody the Bronx.

Some players totally hack it in New York. Look at how Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams and Mariano Rivera, three vastly different people, have thrived in the Bronx. In fact, the Yankees really ought to work it out with Williams to keep him around as a designated-hitter, pinch-hitter, guitar-player icon.

George Steinbrenner's "baseball people" are doing the Boss a disservice by chasing Brian Giles to play center field. After all, why did San Diego bring in Mike Cameron if Giles had any skill in center field? Instead, the Yankees ought to go after Aaron Rowand, who gave a three-day seminar in playing center field at Yankee Stadium last August.

The Yankees also ought to tell Hideki Matsui that he cannot play 162 games next season. Joe Torre says he can rest Matsui as a designated hitter or a pinch-hitter, to keep that streak going, but for the money Matsui is receiving, the Yankees should have gotten it in writing that Matsui would accept a day off a month.

Still, Matsui is a classic Yankee, who more than handles New York.

It's not easy. Pedro Martínez, competitive and manipulative, managed to lion-tame New York last season. Cliff Floyd has been a grown-up in his tenure with the Mets. And Cameron was the kind of sunny, verbal, skillful player Mets fans have always liked.

The Mets are going to miss Cameron, but they will love Ramirez's home runs and runs batted in, if they get him. The first time Ramirez sleepwalks to first base or takes the weekend off while stationed in the outfield, the fans will let him have it.

It's the same way indoors. Marbury has not accomplished enough in his short time with the Knicks to buy him the right to defy and criticize Brown after eight games. He ought to know that Brown has upgraded Allen Iverson and Chauncey Billups, that Reggie Miller seems to love Brown from their time together in Indiana, and that Brown had no qualms in ignoring LeBron James on the 2004 Olympic team.

This is not a battle Marbury can win. That he chose to fight it shows only his limited vision, in life as well as on the fast break. New York is a tough town. Marbury should know that already. It gets tougher at noon today.

E-mail: [email protected]

* Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

Leetonidas
11-20-2005, 12:10 PM
beno or barry for frye ?
then marbury could play shooting guard

The Spurs wouldn't take Devin Brown's contract, you think they're going to take Marbury's?

Brodels
11-20-2005, 12:46 PM
The Spurs wouldn't take Devin Brown's contract, you think they're going to take Marbury's?

?

He wants the Spurs to obtain Frye. Frye is on a rookie deal.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-20-2005, 12:54 PM
I guess the greatest coach ever is too dense to realize that he has Jamaal Crawford and Nate Robinson around to play point guard. :lol

jochhejaam
11-20-2005, 02:41 PM
There was plenty of talk about the two not being able to mesh but I didn't really expect it to be a problem.

Brown's definitely one of the best coaches in the game and you play the way he sees fit or you don't play.
Nate Robinson did a self pass off the backboard earlier this season and ended up on the bench. Crawford wasn't playing "the right way" and it cost him his starting job.
Billups admitted the he had to adjust to the role Brown wanted him to play and he's a better player for it.
Allen Iverson said "without Larry Brown there's no mvp for Allen Iverson".

Brown knows how to utilize his players to get the most out of his teams, the quicker his players realize the sooner the Knicks become a better team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Brown is a prick. Plain and simple. I can't wait to watch the NY situation blow up in his face, because the dude's got a bigger ego than Kobe.

DesiSpur_21
11-21-2005, 12:34 AM
Brown is a prick. Plain and simple. I can't wait to watch the NY situation blow up in his face, because the dude's got a bigger ego than Kobe.

:tu

But I'd like to see Phil-Kobe combo fail first.

TDMVPDPOY
11-21-2005, 02:03 AM
^^^good idea