PDA

View Full Version : Texas Hoops commits

mookie2001
11-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Horns Ink Six in Early Signing Period
Six high school standouts signed National Letters of Intent during the early signing period to play basketball next season at Texas. D.J. Augustin (Houston, Texas), Kevin Durant (Suitland, Va.), Matt Hill (Lincoln, Neb.), Justin Mason (Amarillo, Texas), Dexter Pittman (Rosenberg, Texas) and Harrison Smith (Houston) will join the Horns for the 2006-07 season.

· Augustin (5-11, 180), a point guard at Fort Bend Hightower HS who plays for coach David Peavy, is ranked as the No. 26 prospect nationally by HoopScoop. Augustin played at Brother Martin (New Orleans, La.) during his junior season and averaged 21.2 ppg and 5.3 apg. He led Brother Martin to back-to-back state titles as a sophomore and junior.
· Durant (6-9, 205), a swingman at Montrose Christian School who plays for coach Stu Vetter, is ranked as the No. 2 prospect nationally by most recruiting services. Durant played at Oak Hill Academy during his junior year and averaged 19.6 ppg, 8.8 rpg and over three blocks per game while leading Oak Hill to a 35-2 mark.
· Hill (6-10, 230), a forward at Lincoln Southeast HS who plays for coach Jeff Smith, is ranked as the No. 74 prospect nationally by Scout.com. Hill averaged 19 ppg, 10.5 rpg and 3.7 bpg as a junior.
· Mason (6-3, 185), a combo guard at Amarillo Palo Duro HS who plays for coach Jeff Evans, is ranked as the No. 79 prospect nationally by Rivals.com. Mason averaged 19 ppg while leading Palo Duro to the Class 4A state semifinals as a junior.
· Pittman (6-10, 320), a center from Rosenberg Terry HS who plays for coach Bennett Hatten, is ranked as the No. 51 prospect nationally by Scout.com. Pittman averaged 15 ppg, 8.5 rpg and three blocks per game as a junior.
· Smith (6-3, 185), a shooting guard at Jones HS who plays for coach Barrie Jones, is ranked as the No. 82 prospect nationally by Rivals.com. Smith averaged 23 ppg and 7.0 rpg during his junior season.

mookie2001
11-19-2005, 01:01 PM
bigmen

mookie2001
11-19-2005, 01:18 PM
http://espn.starwave.com/media/ncb/2005/0713/photo/i_durant_195.jpghttp://www.nbda.net/2005playerpics/MattHill.jpg

^Durant........................................... .......Hill

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/18/182260.jpg
Augustin
http://www.amarillo.com/images/063005/32604_512.jpg
Mason

http://www.lifeinlegacy.com/2002/0928/GlancyHarrisonSmith.jpg
probably not THE Harrison Smith
hard man to find

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/23/232615.jpg
Pittman

Horry For 3!
11-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Kevin Durant is bad ass. I wanted to draft him in the D-League for the Dynasty League #1 but some person took him before I could. :bang

Horry For 3!
11-19-2005, 06:19 PM
http://www.lifeinlegacy.com/2002/0928/GlancyHarrisonSmith.jpg
probably not THE Harrison Smith
hard man to find
Harrison Smith wasn't hard to find :lmao I found him within 3 secs.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=30755&Sport=2

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5151/harrisonsmithhoops15019wh.jpg

Mr Dio
11-19-2005, 06:21 PM
I'll trade you Durant.

jk

Horry For 3!
11-19-2005, 06:24 PM
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=25381&Sport=2
D.J. Augustin

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=25491&Sport=2
Kevin Durant

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=32724
Matt Hill

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=26847&Sport=2
Justin Mason

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=378&p=8&c=1&nid=1977373
Dexter Pittman

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=30755&Sport=2
Harrison Smith

mookie2001
01-25-2006, 11:00 AM
bump the commits

Cant_Be_Faded
01-25-2006, 02:01 PM
number 2 pick???

thats pretty good....him and lamarcus should reap the santa klaus and tinsley

Ballcox
01-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Well, we're going to need all of those guys, especially since Aldridge and Gibson are most likely gone after this season, maybe PJ as well-but I have a feeling he stays through his senior season. I can't wait to see Durant play at Texas, I really don't think we've ever had a kid with his size and athleticsm on the perimeter, although he does need to bulk up a little. The main thing is Texas basketball will continue to have an outstanding team, and hopefully make more runs to the Final Four. Hook'em!

mookie2001
01-25-2006, 02:16 PM
I think gibson will stay, which might be bad if he spends next offseason doing what he did last offseason
tucker too, although he might as well go if he can if texas makes the final 4, because he's not gonna grow 4 inches his sr year

Horry For 3!
01-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Kevin Durant is bad ass

Cant_Be_Faded
01-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Well, we're going to need all of those guys, especially since Aldridge and Gibson are most likely gone after this season, maybe PJ as well-but I have a feeling he stays through his senior season. I can't wait to see Durant play at Texas, I really don't think we've ever had a kid with his size and athleticsm on the perimeter, although he does need to bulk up a little. The main thing is Texas basketball will continue to have an outstanding team, and hopefully make more runs to the Final Four. Hook'em!

Aldridge and Gibson gone after this season? If we make it far into the tournament, aldridge definitely...but if we dont?

I don't see Gibson going anywhere unless he shoots 90% 3's for the entire tournament and leads us to a championship. He's not ready for the nba in any way shape or form, and scouts will let him know that.
Aldridge can make it in the nba now....but he's still so fucking RAW....I don't see him getting legit playing time any time soon, and if he stayed in texas his draft status will skyrocket after he polishes his game

Cant_Be_Faded
01-25-2006, 02:34 PM
http://www.nbda.net/2005playerpics/MattHill.jpg

rofl
future fan favorite

Ballcox
01-25-2006, 02:56 PM
^ Evidently with Gibson, his dad's in his ear a bunch about going to the NBA. I agree, I don't think he's ready for NBA level play right now, probably after a solid Junior season, I could see that. But, from information I read over last summer, he was really close to declaring for the draft. I think he's got either friends/family members that are maybe urging him to make the decision to turn pro. As for Aldridge, he was a guy that could have come straight out of HS, glad he didn't for obvious reasons. But, from info I've read about him lately, he really enjoys the college atmosphere and playing at Texas, hopefully this means we can keep him for at least one more season.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Aldridge's stock will only skyrocket if he stays...if he has a sensible member of his family he'd know that

Gibson will be less productive than Royal Ivey if he declared.
BTW did anyone know that Ivey is starting pg for ATL? he's only averaging like 4 points a game though.

Ballcox
01-25-2006, 03:18 PM
^ Yeah, saw he hooked up with them after being an invite to their camp. Evidently he's made his living with perimeter defense, kind of in the Bruce Bowen mold. As Bruce has shown, you can make an NBA career out of playing great defense. If you remember from his time at UT, Ivey was a lockdown guy on the perimeter.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-25-2006, 03:22 PM
fuck yeah...I figured that was why he's still being played and kept in atl

mookie2001
01-25-2006, 07:40 PM
dexter pittman looks like he can regulate on some conservative white 15 year olds with pink shirts very easily

he's like Soffalof Snoffalofagus, but bigger
plus rosenberg is only about an hour away from Inez!

cecil collins
01-26-2006, 01:43 PM
dexter pittman looks like he can regulate on some conservative white 15 year olds with pink shirts very easily

he's like Soffalof Snoffalofagus, but bigger
plus rosenberg is only about an hour away from Inez!
Sadly, he's losing, and has already lost some of that weight. I think it would be nice to have a beast to throw in the post for 15 or so minutes a game.

JMarkJohns
01-26-2006, 02:39 PM
I think this class will only matter if Gibson or Aldridge stay another year.

Great class, but after Augustin and Durant, the others are projects. Maybe some solid minutes from Hill, but that's about it.

North Carolina, then Ohio State are 1/2 in the class. Texas is top 10, maybe bordering on top-5.

Oscar DeLa
01-27-2006, 08:32 PM
I don't know what it is but I heard Durant is having a sick sr year

Oscar DeLa
03-29-2006, 08:27 PM
I don't know what it is but you can catch Durant and Augustine on ESPN tonight

Cant_Be_Faded
03-29-2006, 08:46 PM
what time
which espn
why

Oscar DeLa
03-29-2006, 08:57 PM
I don't know what it is but the McDonald's AllAmerican game dummy

koopa
03-29-2006, 11:39 PM
damn, i'm watching that mcdonald all american game, and durant is f'n badass, i can't wait to see him in burnt orange next season. UT will be in the final four next year i guarantee it

Horry For 3!
03-30-2006, 12:05 AM
Kevin Durant :tu McDonald's MVP

timvp
03-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Got damn Greg Oden is huuuuuge.

mookie2001
03-30-2006, 12:56 AM
greg oden looks like he's 35
he could be cbfs dad

Horry For 3!
03-30-2006, 01:04 AM
Got damn Greg Oden is huuuuuge.
7'1", he will dominate in the NBA once he puts on some more weight/muscle.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-30-2006, 01:06 AM
Dammit, I stopped watching cuz Durant wasn't doing shit.

Typical.

T-Pain
03-30-2006, 01:08 AM
is Durant's HS the same school Carmelo and Josh Smith go to?

mookie2001
03-30-2006, 01:18 AM
did yall see durants arms though??
holy shit his knuckles were dragging on the floor
he makes tayshaun look like pegarms
69 and a half and he's only 17, I guess this was what ahf was talking about- Horns not getting the inState talent anymore

except Augustine
and pittman

Horry For 3!
03-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Dammit, I stopped watching cuz Durant wasn't doing shit.

Typical.
You missed him scoring 25 pts :lol

cecil collins
03-30-2006, 03:38 AM
Last year yes, he went to Oak Hill Academy, but this year he went to a different school(Montrose Christian MD.) On rivals, there are 19 pictures of him if you click on photo gallery (http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?sport=2&pr_key=25491)

mookie2001
03-30-2006, 01:30 PM
7'1", he will dominate in the NBA once he puts on some more weight/muscle.he looks like the strongest biggest high schooler i've ever seen

Ballcox
03-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Oden is going to be a beast playing that weak ass competition in the Big 10, kid looks like a man/child as it is. I'm also really psyched about our upcoming class, Durant is going to be a show stopper at Texas, no doubt. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Aldridge comes back, but I don't want to get my hopes up like I did with TJ Ford.

mookie2001
03-30-2006, 02:25 PM
if lamarcus comes back him and durant are gonBe alleyooping eachother during their own alleyoops

like nba street volume 4

samikeyp
03-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Durant played well....can't wait to see him next year.

Horry For 3!
03-30-2006, 03:28 PM
It is Crazy that Durant is like 6'9-6'10" and a SF

T-Pain
03-30-2006, 03:41 PM

???

Ballcox
03-30-2006, 03:58 PM
It is Crazy that Durant is like 6'9-6'10" and a SF

From what I've read about him he's still growing, God knows he needs to put on some muscle, but the kid has the potential to have that lanky/KG build with a great outside shot to match. Can't wait to see him in a Longhorn uniform tearing up Big XII competition! :smokin

cecil collins
03-30-2006, 05:02 PM
???
I answered your question.

Last year yes, he went to Oak Hill Academy, but this year he went to a different school(Montrose Christian MD.) On rivals, there are 19 pictures of him if you click on photo gallery

JMarkJohns
03-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Kevin Durant :tu McDonald's Co-MVP

Fixed it for ya!

Signed,
Chase Budinger

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/974/342297.jpg

cecil collins
03-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Look at the difference in the arms. Durant's(although substantially weaker) look at least a foot longer.

tlongII
03-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Greg Oden

Cant_Be_Faded
03-30-2006, 07:05 PM
I hope the Spurs draft the Lopez Brothers. Or I wish Texas had signed the Lopez Brothers.

JMarkJohns
03-30-2006, 07:25 PM
I hope the Spurs draft the Lopez Brothers. Or I wish Texas had signed the Lopez Brothers.

Being that Arizona really doesn't have great size, I'm scared to death of these two for the next three or four years.

Hawes is a likely one-and-done, maybe two-and-through, but the twins really have made it clear they are at college for college (which is why you go to a school like Stanford).

They are going to terrorize the Pac-10 for a minimum of three years.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-30-2006, 09:38 PM
rofl
Baby Shaq looks like a mentally slow person in every picture you take of him....it's amazing how much he truely is Baby Shaq. Not scoffing him, I think he's awesome, but its true.

I wonder if Pittman will always look lost or slightly confused every time a camera is on him too

mookie2001
04-19-2006, 02:25 PM
mason profile

Last season Rick Barnes brought in two new shooting guards in JD Lewis and Craig Winder. Both were transfers with a history of scoring and success at the junior college level. Neither has panned out. Coach Barnes will try again next season. This time we will try high schoolers. Texas adds two shooting guards with the potential to contribute next season. The first is Justin Mason.

Mason is a 6'3" 175 lb. senior at Palo Duro High School in Amarillo, Texas. According to Rivals.com, Mason is a four star recruit. He is ranked as the eighth best player in the state and 79th best in the country. Mason has the ability to play both shooting guard and point guard but will play primarily shooting guard at Texas. He led his 4A high school to the state semifinals his junior year before losing to the eventual state champion, South Oak Cliff. His senior year, he led the Dons to an undefeated district record and back into the playoffs. Palo Duro lost in the third round of the playoffs 71-70 to Plainview. Mason averaged about 24 points, six rebounds, five assists, and four steals during his All State senior season.

Justin Mason received scholarship offers from Texas Tech, Texas A&M, New Mexico, SMU, and Colorado State but chose the Longhorns last June. Mason was the second in this class to choose Texas but did so before even taking his official visit. He verbally committed last June but didn't take his official visit until the fall.

According to Scout.com, Mason is a strong defender who can use his long arms and athleticism to pressure the basketball. He can quickly turn defense into easy offense. According to his coach, he is a solid all around player with a history of hitting the big shot. He can score off the dribble and has increased his range as a jump shooter but still is more comfortable penetrating than shooting threes.

Mason is not from the hoops hot beds of Houston or the DFW Metroplex, but he has played against solid competition in AAU ball and in the state playoffs. Mason probably won't be asked to score as much at Texas. Instead Mason may be the defensive stopper Barnes had hoped Winder would become. All indications are Daniel Gibson is staying for next season. Mason, along with Harrison Smith, will fight for backup minutes at the two spot behind Gibson

smith profile

The second shooting guard joining the Horns in the fall will be Harrison Smith. Smith is 6'3" 185 lb senior at Houston Jones High School. According to newly revised rankings at Rivals.com, Smith is the tenth best player in Texas and the 96th best in the country. He is considered a four star recruit and one of the top twenty five shooting guards in this class.

Smith committed to Texas in October of last year after visiting Austin. His hosts were PJ Tucker and former high school teammate Daniel Gibson. Smith was a sophomore at Jones High School when Gibson led the team to the 2004 4A Texas state title. Before committing to the Horns, Smith was weighing scholarship offers from Connecticut, Boston College, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma. Smith became the third Longhorn commitment in this class of six.

Harrison wanted to stay close to home and was seriously pondering the offer from A&M. His former AAU teammate is Martellus Bennett, Aggie tight end and backup forward. The Aggies were the first school to offer Smith a scholarship. He was scheduled to visit College Station just days after his visit to Austin. The trip was obviously cancelled after Harrison chose the Longhorns.

According to Rivals.com, Smith is a physically strong and athletic guard and a true scorer. He possesses a strong ability to get to the basket and finish with high percentage shots. Harrison is an above average rebounder at the guard position who can also play solid defense. His ball handling and passing will need to improve at the college level.

Both Smith and Justin Mason have the size and athleticism to contribute as freshman at Texas. The Horns will be loaded at shooting guard next season with these two joining Daniel Gibson.
these are just from the internets but Texas needs wing players with size badly

mookie2001
04-19-2006, 02:31 PM
darrel arthur from what I gather on the internets breakdown looks like this now

arizona
texas
oklahoma
lsu

kansas is out and hes visiting lsu this weekend

JMarkJohns
04-20-2006, 08:30 PM
It's so wierd all around.

Arthur, that is.

I feel good about Arizona's chances, but only because of what he's said of late. He says he wants to visit. He's says he won't decide until he does.

However, the unofficial that was scheduled, he couldn't make and every attempt since has been a miss. He was rumored to swing by on the way back from Vegas, but that didn't happen.

Can't say I have anything new to add...

mookie2001
04-21-2006, 09:39 AM
I heard a few negatives recently
he plays with low energy and zones out for minutes at a time

and naturally he has to work on his jumper

Cant_Be_Faded
04-21-2006, 11:22 AM
damn texas is fucked next season

JMarkJohns
04-21-2006, 12:32 PM
I heard a few negatives recently
he plays with low energy and zones out for minutes at a time

and naturally he has to work on his jumper

All critiques that come with roughly 90% of prep big men.

They typically can get by on talent alone. Most show it.

A good coach can and will change that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-06-2006, 03:55 PM
On another note, former OU commit and top 20 national prospect Damion James is visiting the Aggies this weekend :tu

Cant_Be_Faded
05-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Please let us know how that pans out, I can hear it now

"Prospect says College Station lame"

JMarkJohns
05-06-2006, 07:18 PM
On another note, former OU commit and top 20 national prospect Damion James is visiting the Aggies this weekend :tu

Inside word has two things.

UA or A&M for James. He'll try and visit both. Location could factor in, but James has shown UA recent love. Probably a 50/50 toss up.

Also, if Arthur doesn't commit to LSU tomarrow, it'll be UA, despite him not visiting. Though smart money is still on LSU.

Mr Dio
05-07-2006, 01:17 PM
OSU's team will be awesome next yr IF they keep those commits. No bad grades, etc...

The week after the UT v OSU game in the Shoe rooms within a few blocks of DKR were apprx $100-$150 per night.
Now 4 months before the game in Austin you'll have to travel a few MILES from DKR to get those rates. Might not be any rooms within the Austin city limits by game time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-07-2006, 04:30 PM
James is A&M's to lose. He spent all weekend hanging out with three of next year's incoming players at the TABC all-star game and then back in Aggieland.

IcemanCometh
05-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Darrell Arthur: The recruiting saga of this mega-talented Dallas forward is over, and it ends with a tremendous twist. The big man is heading to LSU (expect an official announcement sometime this week), a school that wasn't seriously pursuing him until three weeks ago.

The aggys will have to kick people off the team to make room for james, they are already 3 over the limit for next year

IcemanCometh
05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
darrel arthur was supposed to announce today but it was moved to tomorrow. his recruiting saga is rediculous. expect an announcement sometime in 2052. fucking aau coaches

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Actually we're only one over our limit for next year, and there's reportedly going to be one incoming recruit who isn't going to qualify.