PDA

View Full Version : Do ya'll think the Spurs are sorry...

Tek_XX
11-19-2005, 09:26 PM
they gave up Barbosa?

exstatic
11-19-2005, 09:27 PM
??? They never wanted him. He was picked FOR Phoenix.

timvp
11-19-2005, 09:28 PM
He's a good regular season player. In the playoffs, he's too short to survive unless he can play point guard. To this point in his career, he's been a point guard bust.

Fun player to watch. Not much substance.

Tek_XX
11-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Wasn't aware there was a deal with Phoneix beforehand.

exstatic
11-19-2005, 09:35 PM
It's a loophole around a league rule. You can't trade your first round pick in successive years (thanks to an idiot owner for Cleveland 20+ years ago that kept trading his picks for old broken down players), so you call a team and work out a trade scenario. They pick the player, and the trade is announced after the fact, either later in the draft or at a later date. It fulfills the letter of the rule in that the pick wasn't traded, a player was, after the fact.

Tek_XX
11-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Alrighty then, guess that bout sums it up.

timvp
11-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Damn, Manu fell into his knee right before the half ended. Doesn't look good for Barbosa.

:(

Tek_XX
11-19-2005, 09:46 PM
TimVP you only need to post that once, not on every thread.

Horry For 3!
11-19-2005, 09:49 PM
I thought it was Barbosa that was down. It was comfired now.

Horry For 3!
11-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Sprained ACL for Barbosa, done for the rest of the night

ducks
11-19-2005, 09:55 PM
timvp can post where he wants not everyone reads every thread and he also owns this board

timvp
11-19-2005, 09:59 PM

Why don't you go make another thread so you can get owned again.

Thanks.

Tek_XX
11-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Yeah i sure did get owned.

Tek_XX
11-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Yeah i sure did get owned

timvp
11-19-2005, 10:20 PM
That's it you're banned.

timvp
11-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Yeah right :lol

Tek_XX
11-19-2005, 10:50 PM
So you own this joint huh, how much does a place like this cost?

T Park
11-20-2005, 01:09 AM
Sprained ACL and they haven't even done an MRI????

That sounds identical to Nene.

Damn, Spurs are taking out the Brazilians left and right.

Spurzilla
11-20-2005, 04:36 AM
I thought they said a sprained MCL? Either way, hopefully it's not worse than a sprain. The MRI will reveal more. Now I'm just waiting for Mouse to come in and start saying Ginobili is dirty all over again... first Keith Van Horn, now Leandro Barbosa. Geez.....

Spurzilla
11-20-2005, 04:38 AM
Wow! I just made it to my 100th post! Now it's 101.

yeahone
11-20-2005, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=T Park]Sprained ACL and they haven't even done an MRI????

That sounds identical to Nene.

Damn, Spurs are taking out the Brazilians left and right

conspricary theory :elephant

SPURS IN 06
11-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Damn, Manu fell into his knee right before the half ended. Doesn't look good for Barbosa.

:(

If you look at the replay Manu was thrown down by one of the suns players and landed on Barbosa it should have been a foul on the suns.Maybe these is the reason POP got T at halftime. : :smokin

hussker
11-20-2005, 05:13 PM
one word reply...

NOPE!

ShoogarBear
11-20-2005, 07:46 PM
You can't trade your first round pick in successive years (thanks to an idiot owner for Cleveland 20+ years ago that kept trading his picks for old broken down players), so you call a team and work out a trade scenario.

Ted Stepien. Worst owner ever.

True story: A friend of mine was from Cleveland. Her dad on a semi-pro team which was owned by Ted Stepien. One day in 1980, as a promotional stunt, he decided to have his team stand on the main street downtown while he tossed softballs from the Terminal Tower, the tallest building in Cleveland.

Exactly 20 years ago yesterday, he slipped out on the 52nd floor and heaved a softball in the general direction of his players on the ground. It hit the hood of a passing car, leaving precisely the kind of dent you'd expect from a ball dropped from 700 feet in the air.

He threw another one. This toss hit a 24-year-old Strongsville woman on the wrist. Broken wrist.

Ted stoically forged ahead. His next throw clipped the shoulder of a man standing on the sidewalk. No serious injury.

On his fourth try, he nailed the street again. Fortunately, no car was traversing that particular patch of asphalt.

The fifth time was a charm. Player Mike Karefoss snagged it in the web of his glove, bringing a merciful end to the one-man air raid.
Link (http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:BWT_vSbZCbQJ:12.100.23.254:8080/bj/features/2000/June/25/docs/028576.htm+%22ted+stepien%22+1980+softballs+buildi ng&hl=en&client=opera)

I originally thought this was the basis for the "Turkeys Away" of WKRP in Cincinnati, maybe the single most funny TV episode ever. However "Turkeys Away" actually aired two years before Stepien dropped his softballs.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly! --Arthur Carlson

howard2
11-20-2005, 08:44 PM
The Arizona Republic
By Paul Coro
Nov. 20, 2005 12:00 AM
Link: Arizona Republic (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/1120suns1120.html)
{Here is part of an article about Barbosa}

Suns fade after losing Barbosa to knee injury

SAN ANTONIO - Leandro Barbosa is down, but the Suns just might not be after all.

Phoenix played its best defense of the season in a gallant 97-91 loss to San Antonio at SBC Center. The biggest loss Saturday was Barbosa, who sprained his left knee's medial collateral ligament.

Barbosa is doubtful for the next two games and could miss more depending on the results of this morning's magnetic resonance imaging test on the knee that Manu Ginobili fell upon as the first half expired.

"It was bad," Barbosa said with his back flat on a training table. "It still hurts, but not like when he hit me."

It hurt as much that Barbosa was the hottest thing on the floor. He scored 14 first-half points with unguardable moves that put the Suns ahead 53-47. He blew by defenders, pulled up for runners and even tipped in a shot to show how his speed and scoring can revive the Suns at any time.

5ToolMan
11-20-2005, 09:05 PM
they gave up Barbosa?

The Spurs did not want to pay guaranteed money to a first round pick who would not play for several years. Their focus was to keep money free to keep the stars they had; Duncan, Manu, Parker, and Bowen.

Barbosa was drafted for the Suns in a pre-arrainged deal where the Spurs got a pick for another year. I believe that pick was packaged with Rose to get the Nazr and his expiring contract.

Barbosa has some potential, but he was not worth the Spurs sacrificing the ability to keep the rest of the core intact.

bigbendbruisebrother
11-20-2005, 09:42 PM
The Spurs did not want to pay guaranteed money to a first round pick who would not play for several years. Their focus was to keep money free to keep the stars they had; Duncan, Manu, Parker, and Bowen.

Barbosa was drafted for the Suns in a pre-arrainged deal where the Spurs got a pick for another year. I believe that pick was packaged with Rose to get the Nazr and his expiring contract.

Barbosa has some potential, but he was not worth the Spurs sacrificing the ability to keep the rest of the core intact.

I'd say it worked out well.

dmac
11-21-2005, 11:53 AM
one word reply...

NOPE!I sure hope NU owns the buffs this Friday.

ISU fan in TX.