PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Even as the Spurs win, Popovich loses

Manu20
11-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Buck Harvey: Even as the Spurs win, Popovich loses
Web Posted: 11/20/2005 12:19 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA112005.1C.COL.BKNharvey.popovich.26756952.html

San Antonio Express-News

Gregg Popovich will not be the next U.S. Olympic coach for several reasons. Guilt by association is one.

First George Karl lost with angry, dysfunctional rosters, then Larry Brown. Assisting both was Popovich.

It wouldn't take much to look beyond the surface. Assistants don't run teams, and Popovich on his own has won NBA titles with chemistry and an international mix. An Air Force grad who now flies with Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker would seem to be exactly what America needs.

Suns chairman Jerry Colangelo, in charge of USA Basketball, instead opted for someone who neither coaches NBA players nor scouts the international game. And an explanation was in play Saturday night.

Could Colangelo, ever the competitor, bring himself to reward a rival who beats his franchise?

Colangelo's second-best choice also was in the SBC Center on Saturday night. Mike D'Antoni played and coached in Italy for two decades, and a year ago he was the NBA's coach of the year.

And when the small-lineup Suns took leads Saturday night without Amare Stoudemire? D'Antoni would be able to figure out Italy, too, especially since he's fluent in Italian.

But D'Antoni hasn't coached in the NBA long enough to warrant the Olympic post. Besides, if the Suns chairman had chosen the Suns coach, then Colangelo would have heard about it.

D'Antoni, instead, will likely be an assistant in China. And he will be needed. Someone will have to tell Mike Krzyzewski the basics.

At the press conference introducing Krzyzewski as the Olympic coach, he noted the international game differed from the NBA because of the 30-second shot clock. Reporters looked at each and smiled — the 24-second clock has been used in international tournaments since 2001.

That said, Krzyzewski might still win gold. "Coaches are important," Ginobili said, "but players are more important. Coaches can't do magic."

Ginobili says the U.S. will need the right players, and Colangelo is on it. He wants to secure three-year commitments to form a national roster of 20 to 25 players.

Nice plan. But if the U.S. had its best players backing out of a six-week commitment in 2004, what makes Colangelo think he can get a few dozen to pledge their next three summers without a guaranteed roster spot?

Krzyzewski will have a hook to Kobe Bryant. Bryant, remember, once asked the Lakers to hire him.

But Bryant is looking to reshape his image with a gold medal. He will play for anyone outside of Coach Shaq and, besides, he and Popovich get along. Popovich went out of his way to defend Bryant during his 2004 season of turmoil, and the two hugged before a game.

Popovich connected with LeBron James in Athens, too, just as he did with Michael Finley in the 2002 World Championships. Then there's Tim Duncan. The only way he would have re-upped for another Olympic tour was if Popovich coached him.

But this is about more than a coach and his relationships with a few players. This is about a body of work. If Colangelo had been in San Antonio on Saturday night and had looked up in the SBC Center at the banners his franchise has never won, he would have noticed a telling detail.

This goes back to last summer after Game 7 against Detroit. Then someone wrote on a grease board in the Spurs' locker room, "2005 NBA World Champions." Ginobili grabbed a pen and crossed out "World."

Popovich and R.C. Buford conferred and decided their banners would reflect the same, and it's an act that symbolizes their awareness of the new-world order. Just as Buford scouts the planet as few do, Popovich coaches the planet's best.

Popovich has six players who will compete in the World Championships in Japan, and none of them are American. He knows their games, and why their national teams have been successful.

Or, as Jeff Van Gundy said earlier this season: "Coach Krzyzewski is very deserving. But no one is more deserving than Gregg. He's the best in the league."

So what stops Colangelo from seeing the same?

Saturday night underlined a reason. Then the Spurs beat the Suns, just as they did last spring.

T Park
11-20-2005, 11:31 AM
At the press conference introducing Krzyzewski as the Olympic coach, he noted the international game differed from the NBA because of the 30-second shot clock. Reporters looked at each and smiled — the 24-second clock has been used in international tournaments since 2001.

Good job Jerry.

Nice article.

Or, as Jeff Van Gundy said earlier this season: "Coach Krzyzewski is very deserving. But no one is more deserving than Gregg. He's the best in the league."

Hmm, the Pop haters won't like to see that.

TDMVPDPOY
11-20-2005, 12:28 PM
n.w.o black n white :D

angel_luv
11-20-2005, 12:53 PM
That is actually convenient for me. If Timmy and Pop aren't in the olympics than I can root for Argentina to repeat. =)

lilmads
11-20-2005, 01:22 PM
if the 'best' nba players like shaq and kobe decided to get their dicks out of the media's ass for a couple months to play in the olympics then maybe i'd start blaming the coaches' for the losses

There is no I in Team... :lol

velik_m
11-20-2005, 01:35 PM
That is actually convenient for me. If Timmy and Pop aren't in the olympics than I can root for Argentina to repeat. =)

so you think Slovenia will not qualify? :depressed

;)

2centsworth
11-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Antoni will be a better olympic coach. I don't think Pop gives a crap and is too defensive minded. Not enough time to teach NBA players how to play proper D. We need a purely offensive team with average NBA defense.

Solid D
11-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Oh well, China's not known for it's wine, anyway. No great loss for Pop. :smokin

exstatic
11-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Fuck Colangelo. Let him hire his little boy, Mike D'entures. He'd better hope he wins the Olympics, though, 'cause he ain't winning an O'Brien for the next half decade, at least.

polandprzem
11-20-2005, 03:43 PM
That's right . It's even better for Pop

Rummpd
11-20-2005, 09:50 PM
I would of thought AngelLuv would root for Slovenia all the way - Rasho, Beno etc.

ducks
11-20-2005, 10:33 PM
I am glad pop did not get it
it just made sure duncan did not go
also pop needs a break
coaching tell june does not give him much time off

angel_luv
11-20-2005, 11:29 PM
I would of thought AngelLuv would root for Slovenia all the way - Rasho, Beno etc.

so you think Slovenia will not qualify? :depressed

;)

Dude my bad!
I will most definitely root for Slovenia. Argentina too though. Both are close to my heart . =)

LilMissSPURfect
11-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Send the SPURS to china! then they get the regular season off....play only in the playoffs and win another title.......yeah thats it!