PDA

View Full Version : Mohammed offers Spurs a quick burst

Manu20
11-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Mohammed offers Spurs a quick burst
Web Posted: 11/20/2005 12:19 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA112005.16C.BKNspurs.mohammed.26757714.html

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

The Spurs have a rule when they play at home and don't have a travel schedule to keep: If you don't get at least 15 minutes in the game, you have to put in 15 minutes on one of the exercise machines in the team's fitness facility at the SBC Center.

So, even after making his biggest contribution of the young season to a Spurs' victory on their home court, center Nazr Mohammed put in his 15 minutes on the stationary bicycle, trudging back to his locker, dripping sweat, while Tim Duncan addressed the media in the corner of the locker room.

Mohammed, who started each of the Spurs' 23 playoff games in their run to the 2005 NBA title, has been relegated to a reserve role this season behind Rasho Nesterovic after missing much of the preseason because of complications following the birth of his son in early October.

He has not played more than 19 minutes in any of the team's 10 games this season and has struggled to reconcile his diminished role.

"I'd be lying if I said it hadn't been (difficult) — it's been tough," said Mohammed, who logged nearly 12 minutes Saturday. "But it's easier when you've got great teammates and a great coaching staff. So it's tough, but it could be a lot harder somewhere else. I can handle it."

With Spurs coach Gregg Popovich using a small lineup against the fast-paced Phoenix Suns for portions of the first half Saturday night, Mohammed was nothing but a spectator for the first 24 minutes. He didn't' enter the game until 8:35 remained in the third quarter, but he was so active he stayed on the court the rest of the quarter, and began the fourth period, as well.

His play earned him a second shift in the fourth, and by game's end he had scored nine points, grabbed five rebounds and made a distinct impression on Popovich and his teammates. During the final 21/2 minutes of the third period, he converted two three-point plays and had three offensive rebounds.

"I was really happy for Nazr," Popovich said, "because he hasn't gotten a lot of time or the right opportunities, but he's stayed ready. It was not so much that he scored a few points tonight, but he was on the boards getting rebounds and took up space down (in the lane). He did a real good job."

"Nazr gave us a great boost," Duncan said. "Nazr did a wonderful job for a couple of minutes, getting on the boards and making a contribution."

Mohammed hopes his play in Saturday's 97-91 Spurs' victory will earn him more time in the near future.

"It definitely felt good, just to be out there, playing," Mohammed said. "It felt good to be able to help the team.

"When I get the chance to play I just want to do exactly what I've always done: Hit the offensive glass, hit the defensive glass, and I can usually get lucky and get a bucket here and there."

Manu20
11-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Free Him Pop!
http://www.nba.com/media/act_nazr_mohammed.jpg

T Park
11-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Keep doing that, keep from getting blocked by 6'2 siffs, and the starting spot is back to him.

Whats funny, he played very well, and Nesterovic played well too.

It would be great if they both could keep it up, along with Horry, and if Oberto could discover how to jump more than a millimeter off the floor to rebound, the Spurs bigs will be what we thought they would be.

ChumpDumper
11-20-2005, 11:50 AM
"I was really happy for Nazr," Popovich said, "because he hasn't gotten a lot of time or the right opportunities, but he's stayed ready. It was not so much that he scored a few points tonight, but he was on the boards getting rebounds and took up space down (in the lane). He did a real good job."

"Nazr gave us a great boost," Duncan said. "Nazr did a wonderful job for a couple of minutes, getting on the boards and making a contribution."Oh shit! His next contract price must've gone up at least $5 million with those quotes.

What were they thinking?

T Park
11-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Yeah Im sure Holt had a meeting this morning already with Pop chastising him for raising Nazr's price.

Kori Ellis
11-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Oh shit! His next contract price must've gone up at least $5 million with those quotes.

What were they thinking?

It's my fault. :lol I'm the one who asked the questions that prompted both those quotes.

ChumpDumper
11-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Damn you and your intelligent reportage.

I know someone who's not getting a tractor for Christmas....

ploto
11-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Nazr played well. It goes to show how fortunate the Spurs are to have all the guys they do and be able to go with match-ups. One night Rasho can bang with Yao and one night Nazr can use his athleticism against a smaller more athletic team. The next game Rasho can guard Brad Miller and so forth. It is a luxury.

The only thing that didn't thrill me about this article is the slant of some of the quotes. Sure we know all players want to play, but when your team is 8-2 and the guy starting in your position is playing well, you should be a little more careful about how you words things. You should say you are working hard and keeping ready and willing to fill whatever role your team asks of you. It doesn't sound so good to say you hope this one game means you'll get more playing time now, especially when your team is full of guys who have started way more NBA games than you have and many of them are also coming off the bench--

NBA regular season starts (takes away the advantage of the guys who have been in the playoffs)

Finley 696
Van Exel 669
Duncan 594
Horry 465
Nesterovic 414
Barry 414
Parker 318
Bowen 399
Mohammed 181

wildbill2u
11-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Nothing wrong with having two centers capable of playing well in any game.

Sounds like a great team in the making to me. Now if everyone would quit choosing sides and let the guys play...

Slomo
11-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Nothing wrong with having two centers capable of playing well in any game.

Sounds like a great team in the making to me. Now if everyone would quit choosing sides and let the guys play...
Amen!

boutons
11-20-2005, 04:04 PM
It sounds like we saw a frustrated Nazr trying use his PT to make the biggest impact possible. I was surprised at his willingness to shoot open jumpers. Last season he usually passed those away.

2 guys focused on and competing for either keeping/winning starting position and PT. Should bring out the limited best in both of them.

SeattleSpur
11-20-2005, 04:28 PM
It sounds like we saw a frustrated Nazr trying use his PT to make the biggest impact possible. I was surprised at his willingness to shoot open jumpers. Last season he usually passed those away.

2 guys focused on and competing for either keeping/winning starting position and PT. Should bring out the limted best in both of them.

Yup. And 12 fouls to throw at Shaq.

fraga
11-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah..but did you see that one play where he bobbled the damn ball right under the basket....b!tch looked as nervous as a 10yr at Neverland...

T Park
11-20-2005, 05:36 PM
yeah fraga, and he went up and got the basket and an and1.

So want to keep bitching?

Some people its never enough.

bigbendbruisebrother
11-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah..but did you see that one play where he bobbled the damn ball right under the basket....b!tch looked as nervous as a 10yr at Neverland...

Yeah but! Did you see that one of his pump-fakes finally worked?! Sure it took a former Atlanta Hawk to bite, but Nazr finally caught one.

fraga
11-20-2005, 09:56 PM
yeah fraga, and he went up and got the basket and an and1.

So want to keep bitching?

Some people its never enough.
I'll keep bitching until the day he can handle a simple fucking pass under the basket without fumbling around like a little girl...I like the guy but shit...use some damn super glue or something...