PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Popovich jokes about dress code

howard2
11-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Boston Globe
By Peter May
Nov 20, 2005
Link: Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2005/11/20/the_answer_is_affirmative?mode=PF)
{Part of an article.}

Green sleeves
San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich jokingly (we think) said he'd take up Dockers on the company's offer to provide free clothing for NBA personnel in the wake of the dress code. (The code was aimed at players. Coaches generally have been well-attired over the years.) ''It's free? I'm in," said Popovich. That was always Bird's mantra. As a player, Bird wore some of the ugliest shirts imaginable. When asked why, he said, ''It's free. If it's free, I'll wear it." Which makes you wonder: How would those free-wheeling Celtics of the 1980s have handled a dress code? ''Larry would have gotten a jacket," Cedric Maxwell said. ''It wouldn't have been a good-looking jacket, but he would have gotten one." Danny Ainge said the Celtics would have had no trouble complying, ''but it probably would not have gone over very well. I don't know what Scott Wedman would have done. He was the worst dresser on the team. Truthfully, none of us dressed up all that much. Max, Robert [Parish] and DJ [Dennis Johnson] usually all dressed up, but that was because they were all going out after the game. Me? I was going home to bed. I might as well have worn pajamas."

thispego
11-20-2005, 05:00 PM
boring