PDA

View Full Version : The Official lets rip off Indiana for Jermaine O'neal thread

IcemanCometh
05-04-2003, 03:16 AM
We want Jermaine O'neal and Jermaine wants us. We can essentially put Indiana in the position that Detroit and Toronto were with Orlando; namely sign and trade.

The prime suspect, Malik Rose. Could he become a cheap mans Ben Wallace in the woeful East? Hes shown flashes of greatness sparked by flareups of incompetence. His size would not be such an issue in the East. Salary wise we are under the cap so salaries would not have to match.

This would allow us to pay O'neal as much as Indiana can. The question is do we get greedy and try to grab more from them. Say an Al Harrington or maybe even a Jonothan Bender? They may even be so desperate to dump Ron Artest, I bet Pops tough love would straighten him out. Add iin say Bowen to replace Artests D or we all know how desperate Indy was for a pg Speedy.

If we decide not to rape them further then getting Oneal and subtracting Malik would still leave us with enough money to pursue Odom or Maggette.

Sounds like a plan worth the Holting pattern to me.

Archie
05-14-2003, 08:20 AM
If Rose needed to be moved in order to land JO'Neal it's hard to pass up on that. I'm not sure if the Pacers would want to take Rose back.

Nbadan
05-19-2003, 05:54 AM
You gotta ask yourself, which would be more precious for the Pacers, Malik Roses $5 million per year and about $6-8 million in capspace or $12-13 million dollars in Spurs capspace?

I would think the Pacers would take Rose and the capspace, but your getting Spurs-blind if you think the Pacers will throw in Harrington or Bender to the deal. The Pacers pride themselves in they're youth and aren't going to give up potential talent so cheaply. Losing o'Neal would be a big enough blow, but I don't think it's gonna happen anyway.

Now if the Spurs want to play lets-make-a-deal how about:

Malik Rose + Tony Parker + Capspace for Jason Kidd and Kenyon Martin?

SpursBloke
05-31-2003, 01:37 PM
Nbadan's on the money with this one. Harrington has enough potential to be traded for alone. He is not a guy you just throw in.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2003, 11:53 PM
If they're gonna lose O'Neal there's no way that they'll give up Bender or Harrington.

I think they would take Rose and the cap room though.

I'll be more than happy to make that trade.

AHF

ChumpDumper
06-04-2003, 04:55 AM
Hell, if JO really wants to come, Indy will settle for a pick and a gargantuan trade exception they have a year to use.

Nbadan
06-10-2003, 08:19 AM
Hell, if JO really wants to come, Indy will settle for a pick and a gargantuan trade exception they have a year to use.

That's not the point. The point is that in order for JO to maximize his earning potential and still wind up in SA, he has to do a sign and trade. Since Indiana is the only team that can offer O'Neal a guaranteed 7 years. The most the Spurs or any other team can offer is 6 at a significantly reduced rate.

I don't see O'neal coming in any other way.

ChumpDumper
06-10-2003, 09:38 PM
The point is that in order for JO to maximize his earning potential and still wind up in SA, he has to do a sign and trade.

Actually the point is Indy's getting something in return. All JO has to do is sign an extension after an early termination and the difference over 7 years suddenly becomes $5 million before taxes.

One can argue who would have the upper hand in negotiations but those are the facts.

T Park Num 9
06-17-2003, 05:53 AM
I would bust my ass to persuade Jermaine to sign for 13 or 14 mill without loosing a Malik Rose.

Malik rose folks is gonna be the spiritual and team co captain next year.

David Robinson said himself, his spirituality and spirit is what drives this team sometimes.

I would find it difficult to trade one of Duncan's best buds too.

I think you bust ass persuading J Oneal to sign without loosing anyone.