PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan says he'd much rather see Spurs go after big

ducks
06-10-2003, 12:07 PM
DOESN'T WANT KIDD:
Tim Duncan says he'd much rather see Spurs go after big man to replace David Robinson instead of signing another point guard such as Jason Kidd.
- Before Gregg Popovich and his staff decide to reach out for that certain someone or two, I assume they'll ask for your opinion?"
"Yeah, I'm sure they'll come to me and ask for my input," Duncan agreed.
"And, what do you think your team needs most?"
"We need another scorer."
"With David Robinson leaving we definitely need a big man."
"And, who would you like to replace him?"
"There's Jermaine O'Neal and Brad Miller. P.J. Brown is also out there. He'd be a nice fit, too," answered Duncan before offering a stream of accolades on behalf of restricted free agent Elton Brand, the Clippers' undersized macho forward - the starting lineup's version of Malik Rose.
"Who would you prefer? A center or a power forward?"
"That's a good question. I prefer a center," Duncan said after a brief pause.
Guess that decides that.

article written by Peter Vecsey scoop (http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/36297.htm)

Archie
06-10-2003, 12:08 PM

Duncan apparently said he thinks the team needs a scorer above anything else.

ducks
06-10-2003, 12:10 PM
kidd has a bad shooting % kidd can score

scott
06-10-2003, 12:11 PM
I guess that leaves the hot shooting Jason Kidd as the best choice...

Archie
06-10-2003, 12:14 PM

Ghost Writer
06-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Read, Archie. Duncan qualified that "scorer" as being any number of big men that I and others have targeted for some time now, including:

J. O'Neal
E. Brand
PJ Brown

Don't rule out the 'Kandi Man for significantly less than the max.

I'm surprised a sane person would think Kidd would leave the Nets for the Spurs based on these Finals.

:cooldevil

Archie
06-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Actually Duncan said that the Spurs need another scorer.

Anyone who's seen the ups and downs of this playoffs knows what he meant.

ducks
06-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Spurs chairman Peter Holt tried to do his best to quash the Jason Kidd-to-San Antonio speculation.
"The media has played this Jason Kidd thing up much bigger than we have internally," Holt said. "Because if you look at our team, who are we? No. 1, we are a defensive team. Secondly, the key player we're losing is (center) David Robinson, who's been our anchor for 14 years."scoop (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=211&xlc=1009735)

Ghost Writer
06-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Don't be ignorant, Archie. Read:

"With David Robinson leaving we definitely need a big man."
"And, who would you like to replace him?"
"There's Jermaine O'Neal and Brad Miller. P.J. Brown is also out there. He'd be a nice fit, too," answered Duncan before offering a stream of accolades on behalf of restricted free agent Elton Brand, the Clippers' undersized macho forward - the starting lineup's version of Malik Rose.
"Who would you prefer? A center or a power forward?"
"That's a good question. I prefer a center," Duncan said after a brief pause.
Guess that decides that.
Just get on board with what the smart minority of us pushed for from the start of the Holt-ing Pattern — replacing Robinson.

Archie
06-10-2003, 12:48 PM
Don't even start, you ignoramus. He clearly said that the Spurs "need another scorer". Then he proceeded to say that "With David Robinson leaving we definitely need a big man."

Scorer 1st
Big 2nd

Not hard to understand.

scott
06-10-2003, 12:49 PM
And yet,

Jason Kidd != Scorer

Archie
06-10-2003, 12:51 PM
And yet, Payton = scorer.

DeSPURado
06-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Archie, How are those (scorer and big) supposed to be read as being exclusive of eachother?

SequSpur
06-10-2003, 01:01 PM
I'm lost... what are you talking about?

Kidd a scorer? Yeah right..

CosmicCowboyXXX
*sigh*

why couldn't it be anyone besides Vecsey to report this?

the guy is like the "anti-truth" when it comes to rumors...

I sure wanna believe, though...:eyebrow

Jimcs50
Kandi > DRob so if we get him and another nice player like Jon Barry who can play D and score that would ne nice. Keep Willis as a backup, sign Jax and Claxton, sign Kandi and Barry or someone like him.

Archie
06-10-2003, 01:18 PM
The Spurs need to acquire a great player this summer no matter what. I would take 35 year old Payton for 2 or 3 seasons anytime over Olowokandi and Brad Miller.

There are four great players available this summer...Kidd, JO'Neal, Payton, and Brand. Outside of those guys you have some decent talent available, but none I would want over any of those top 4.

The Spurs cannot afford to pass on top talent simply because it does not fit their "needs." This franchise struggled in the 1990s to build a decent supporting cast for DRob due to a lack of tradeable talent. Passing on an all-NBA First Team member like Jason Kidd for excrement like Michael Olowokandi would be the biggest **** up ever in the history of the San Antonio Spurs organization.

Ghost Writer
06-10-2003, 01:24 PM
Earth to Archie!

We're winning a title this year. We'll be losing Robinson from this championship rotation. If we plug in an upgrade over Robinson like J. O'Neal, E. Brand, M. Olowokandi or even PJ Brown — you'll have more scoring and a big man replacement enhancing a title team.

Winning the title this year impacts the results of the Holt-ing Pattern... good, bad or indifferent.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2003, 02:51 PM
The Spurs cannot afford to pass on top talent simply because it does not fit their "needs."

Yes they can. You don't try and fit a round peg in a square hole. What good is getting a player if they don't address any weakness on our team?

This franchise struggled in the 1990s to build a decent supporting cast for DRob due to a lack of tradeable talent.

Well I think they've solved the supporting cast problem, don't you?

The Spurs have worked hard to be in this position, they aren't gonna **** it up by getting someone they don't need just to suit you.

Last time I checked, Kidd was neither a scorer or a big man.

AHF

NCaliSpurs
06-10-2003, 04:41 PM
www.nydailynews.com/sport...2736c.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/91002p-82736c.html)

"Everybody says Jason Kidd," Holt said of the speculation. "The media has played the Jason Kidd thing up much more than we have internally because if you look at our team ... who are we? We are a defensive team first. Secondly, the key player we are losing this year is David Robinson, who has been an anchor of this team for 14 years ... we may end up going in other ways."

Jason Kidd is an option. But he ain't number one if we win the championship. And he ain't leaving if he does.

Man in Black1
06-10-2003, 05:20 PM
:brotha

The greatest Spur ever has said the following.

And how about this? A New York reporter asked David Robinson what he would do if he were the Spurs G.M.? Jason Kidd or no Jason Kidd?

“Any time you have a chance to get a Jason Kidd, you get Jason Kidd. We’ll put them both on the floor at the same time if we have to,” David said. “Jason’s an incredible player. You don’t pass up an opportunity to get a guy like that. You don’t pass that up. As good as Tony is, both of those guys together would make you great. I wouldn’t pass that up.”

:white

What do you think of that-Ducks? There are choices to be made. Place faith in the organization that has gotten you Parker & Ginobili via smart drafting and brought the likes of Rose, Jackson, Willis, Ferry and to a limited extent, Bowen, off Scrap-heaps and finally did smart trades to get Kerr, Claxton, Smith and Bateer. DRob & Tim...Those guys are both people whose opinions matter.

I don't find the OBFUSCATION unusual. CIA BLACK OPS is working.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2003, 05:24 PM
MIB,

And we should put faith in that because...

* Drob has ever said anything bad about anyone

* Drob, if he were the kind of person to say something bad about someone, would certainly say it prior to game 4 on the road in the NBA Finals about the opposing team's best player.

Come on now, think a little.

AHF

NCaliSpurs
06-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Also, the intent of his statement was not Jason Kidd over any other person. He was merely talking about a player as great as Jason Kidd.

scott
06-10-2003, 05:33 PM
A few months ago we had Tim Duncan talking about how he'd love to play with Jason Kidd, Peter Holt on KMOL talking about how he thought that Tony and Jason could play together, and David Robinson saying that Tony was the man.

Now we have Tim Duncan talking about how he'd rather have a scorer or a big man (which Kidd is neither of), Peter Holt talking about how the media has started the speculation (not the Spurs), and now David Robinson saying if you have a chance to get a Jason Kidd, you get him.

Sounds to me like an organization that likes to **** with our heads more than anything else!

ducks
06-10-2003, 05:33 PM
is daivd playing the company line

everyone knows they are going after kidd. is cia pop really after someone else

besides that dave can say whqat he will do to bad for you he is not the boss or player anymore

Man in Black1
06-10-2003, 06:03 PM
:brotha

Sounds to me like an organization that likes to **** with our heads more than anything else!

Someone gets it!!!

After this thread is posted do we really know anymore than when all this "Holting Pattern" started? HELL FUCKING NO. Its funny that so many think they do but in reality, Pop & RC will do whatever they feel is necessary. They won't consult you, or I, or Ghost, or Marcus, or anyone else that posts on a Spurs Forum near you. Its a great topic of conversation but our chances of affecting the way those 2 think, would be about as successful as Casper & Archie being roomates. That shit ain't going to happen. Place faith in Pop & RC and all will be revealed.

CosmicCowboyXXX
06-10-2003, 06:23 PM
IF...

those Duncan quotes printed by Vecsey are accurate...

we have a pretty darn good idea which way the Spurs will go...

RC and Pop are gonna try to keep Tim happy...

CrazyOne
06-10-2003, 06:35 PM
(Uh... you forgot the little flashy thing... I think some of them need it right now...) :spin

Archie
06-10-2003, 06:45 PM
Well I think they've solved the supporting cast problem, don't you?

The Spurs have worked hard to be in this position, they aren't gonna **** it up by getting someone they don't need just to suit you.

Last time I checked, Kidd was neither a scorer or a big man.

So the Spurs should rest on their laurels and blow their one shot at adding a significant talent to this team for the next decade? That makes no sense whatsoever. After a decade full of being hamstrung thanks to the cap now Spurs fans seem to think opportunities like this are available every damn summer. Here's a hint...they aren't. Passing on Kidd for Olowokandi is fucking stupid. But no surprise that some here are suggesting precisely that.

SequSpur
06-10-2003, 06:45 PM
Reality....

Kidd and J Oneal...

They will get one of them.

Common Sense.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2003, 06:49 PM
A few months ago we had Tim Duncan talking about how he'd love to play with Jason Kidd, Peter Holt on KMOL talking about how he thought that Tony and Jason could play together, and David Robinson saying that Tony was the man.

Now we have Tim Duncan talking about how he'd rather have a scorer or a big man (which Kidd is neither of), Peter Holt talking about how the media has started the speculation (not the Spurs), and now David Robinson saying if you have a chance to get a Jason Kidd, you get him.

A few months ago Tony was in a funk, and he wasn't doing a number on everyone like he is now, certainly not against Jason Kidd.

It's not about fucking with our heads, it's about what has transpired in the last two and a half months. Tony Parker has grown up, stepped up, and is playing like a potential NBA Finals MVP candidate for Christ's sake.

I'd change my mind too if I were them (Pop, Holt, RC).

You've got Tim saying Tony's his boy now, etc. etc. The dynamics of the situation have changed.

AHF

SequSpur
06-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Yeah...

Reality says

Tony makes < 1 million, Kidd is worth 10 million, Tony kicked his azz.

So get J. Oneal....

Archie
06-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Tony Parker has grown up, stepped up, and is playing like a potential NBA Finals MVP candidate for Christ's sake.

It's not so hard to do that when you got the best player in the NBA in the post. Switch Parker and Kidd and you think Parker plays that well with the Nets?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2003, 07:00 PM
Yes I do, he'd have Kenyon out setting picks for him.

Parker's a scorer, no matter what team he plays with he'd be filling it up off the pick and roll.

As for this summer, I'm not advocating getting Kandi, that's the last thing on earth I want to see.

AHF

Archie
06-10-2003, 07:04 PM
KryMart? Get real.

NCaliSpurs
06-10-2003, 07:11 PM
Parker has great individual talent. If you don't see that you are blind.

If Parker were on a different team, where he could be the #1A option, then his stats would be huge. However, his team would suck.

We all know how far scoring point guards take their team without a dominant(i.e, Timmy or Shaq) big man. Just take a look at Stephon or Stevie. BTW, pay attention to the Suns and Rockets as their big guys mature.

Archie
06-10-2003, 07:13 PM
He's a nice talent. He couldn't lead that collection of misfits in NJ to the NBA Finals like Kidd has done for the last two seasons though.

ducks
06-10-2003, 07:39 PM
we are talking about the east here or the west?

maybe parker could not lead the nets to the finals last year but this year he might have been able to. martin is good. he is putting up pretty even numbers against DUNCAN.

Archie
06-10-2003, 07:40 PM
Martin isn't that good. Duncan's had 3 defenders in his lap since his Game 1 outburst. Give him the same coverage as TD is getting and it isn't even close.

As for TP he couldn't lead that team to the Finals in the East.

ducks
06-10-2003, 07:59 PM
lets see tp outplayed gp gp is now with the bucks so the nets would have beaten the bucks

tp would have taken the nets past the pistons. maybe not a sweep but still win that series.

SAmikeyp
06-10-2003, 08:55 PM
those Duncan quotes printed by Vecsey are accurate...

there is the key. Never been a fan of Vecsey so this, IMO, all remains to be seen.

Mark in Austin
06-10-2003, 10:16 PM
"difficult to see, the future is..."

-Yoda

T Park Num 9
06-10-2003, 11:53 PM
sign Jason Kidd making Malik Rose our starting 4???

Uh, no thanks.

You sign Kidd you also jepordize loosing Manu Ginobili, wich imo is stupid.

Sign J Oneal Sign Jack Sign Claxton add a couple min playes like J Barry and Voshon Leonard.

End of summer,

start on another ring.

SequSpur
06-11-2003, 12:04 AM
Good post there tpark...

I didn't know Barry was available.... Damn... He would lead the league on this team...

Archie
06-11-2003, 12:19 AM
T Park Num 9
Pizzark
(6/10/03 9:53 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: One for the Kidd Peeps-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sign Jason Kidd making Malik Rose our starting 4???

Uh, no thanks.

You sign Kidd you also jepordize loosing Manu Ginobili, wich imo is stupid.

Sign J Oneal Sign Jack Sign Claxton add a couple min playes like J Barry and Voshon Leonard.

End of summer,

start on another ring.
images.stltoday.com/stlto...dinals.jpg (http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/images/sports/subhdr_cardinals.jpg)

OK....WTF did I just read?

T Park Num 9
06-11-2003, 12:31 AM
whats so hard to understand?

You dont go after Kidd because first off we have two good point guards

SECOND
that jeopardizes the future of Manu Ginobili on this team.

Oneal Brand Brown and Miller should be our top priorities.

Not point gaurds.

Last i checked??

We had a pretty good one in T Park num 9 :eyebrow

goliath
06-11-2003, 01:04 AM

So would signing Oneil or Brand. Signing a max PG or a max PF, same difference cap wise. Either of the signings put us over the cap, leaving only about $5mill or so next year for Manu.

gunawanspurs
06-11-2003, 02:18 AM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So would signing Oneil or Brand. Signing a max PG or a max PF, same difference cap wise. Either of the signings put us over the cap, leaving only about $5mill or so next year for Manu.

It's not in financially perspective that signing Kidd will drive Manu away from SA.

There's only so much minutes in backcourt rotation to play on, and as far as i know, it's TP and Kidd backcourt that has been proposed all along, not Kidd and Manu.

Manu wants to be a starter next season, and for him, which one is easier to supplant, Kidd or SJax ?

With Kidd or no Kidd, Manu can only be resigned with MLE offering at best ( as we only have the early bird right on him, aka Arenas case ). I think he'd prefer play with us as starter rather than a bench warmer and cheerleader for Kidd.:eyebrow

Ghost Writer
06-11-2003, 11:43 AM
On SportsCenter this morning, they addressed this issue and Duncan's comments were clarified.

Duncan wants a scoring big man.

I think we should give Duncan what he wants, don't you?

Question.

scott
06-11-2003, 11:51 AM
You just need to be more creative Ghost...

Jason Kidd will be our scoring big man.

We are going to slide him to the 4 and he'll put up 20 points and 10 rebs a game.

If Jason Kidd was 6'10", and had scoring ability, you guys wouldn't be bitching.

Spurs fans.... :rolleyes

:lol

travis2
06-11-2003, 11:56 AM
http://duckgear.aflac.com/ccduckgear/assets/images/DuckGearHeader_01.gif

F**K KIDD

http://www.mysanantonio.com/multimedia/slideshows/SHOW_058/parkerhelpskidd.jpg

scott
06-11-2003, 11:58 AM
http://scottspics.8m.com/act_jason_kidd.jpg

Ghost Writer
06-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Funny.

Archie/Marcus used to rely on Duncan saying he'd like to play with Kidd as his most compelling argument for bringing Kidd in this summer. Now that Duncan is going on record in correctly identifying a scoring big man as the Spurs' number one priority, he's aboandoned Duncan as a reference.

P.S.

Doesn't he realize that the emergence of Parker coupled with the current nucleus' ability to get Duncan his second ring has changed the priority for this summer.

It's not about adding any old star to bail out Duncan anymore. It's about adding a star big man at best or a suitable replacement for Robinson at worst.

Things have changed for the better since the Holt-ing Pattern started.

Archie
06-11-2003, 02:37 PM
I'm sure if Duncan was asked if he would prefer Jason Kidd or Michael Olowokandi that his preference wouldn't be Olowokandi like Ghost Writer's...

Duncan doesn't want to play with shit when a great player can be had. Give me one of the following this summer: Kidd/JO'Neal/Brand/Payton. I'll leave it to Ghost Writer to argue that Michael Olowokandi is worth not adding Jason Kidd to this team when he isn't arguing for a black assistant coach who presumably understands jive so he can relate better to the young darkies than Pop can.

It's time to hit the lake. Adios.

Ghost Writer
06-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Don't be so sure, Archie. Duncan cited PJ Brown as someone he'd like to play with next year. Not Jason Kidd.

You go to the lake. I'm going to Jersey to watch the Spurs in a couple hours.

We'll see who's closer to the truth. Again.

spurster
06-11-2003, 03:53 PM
It's hard to take TD's comment very seriously. He got into some amount of trouble naming players that are already out of the playoffs. He would be in bigger trouble by mentioning Kidd's name as well.

Maybe TD is CIA's Pop protégé.