PDA

View Full Version : New Assistant Coach watch 21-22

objective
07-06-2021, 02:37 AM
Lots of Assistant Coaching news around the league the last week or so but nothing on who will replace Hardy for the Spurs.

I have long wanted an old codger or at least a guy who's been around awhile to be there with Pop to give him someone to relate to, or maybe even be the bad cop that Pop might not have the stomach for anymore. But even without an old guy, how about someone who'd been around for a little while and not another jumped up intern for Pop to try to train?

Terry Stotts is still a free agent. But maybe he will just wait it out.

Lloyd Pierce is joining Carlisle on the Pacers.

I've seen reports that Scott Brooks is potentially joining the Lakers staff. Fitzdale also.

Hell, I even thought about Larry Brown. Wouldn't it be great to seem Larry back to chill with Pop on the bench and yell at players to rebound? Well, he's actually going to be an assistant in college at Memphis under Penny Hardaway! WTF? He should be a Spur.

Jamahl Mosley after being shat on by Carlisle is a candidate for some of the open head coaching gigs, but if he doesn't get one maybe he can be with the Spurs.

Kaleb Canales was in Indiana with Bjorkgren, but has been an assistant to Carlisle before so maybe he stays there.

David Vanterpool is a free agent.

Ty Corbin was in Orlando and apparently was interviewed for the top spot.

I had hoped for Gentry last year but he ended up in Sacramento. Thought it would have been great to see him and Pop re-united. He might be inclined to stay in Sacramento as he would likely be the guy to take over when Walton is inevitably fired.

TimDunkem
07-06-2021, 03:59 AM
Pop's going to promote the shoe guy.

EasyMoney
07-06-2021, 06:16 AM
I'm still praying that Manu takes the coaching offer. But he's still enjoying retirement.

exstatic
07-06-2021, 06:19 AM
The last veteran assistant we hired forgot to put players back into a game.

Next video coordinator up.

Dejounte
07-06-2021, 06:29 AM
Matt Nielsen

Em-City
07-06-2021, 07:31 AM
won't Pop's replacement be responsible for hiring the new assistant coach(es)?

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-06-2021, 08:54 AM
Matt Nielsen

he did a good job in Austin. I kinda hope he stays down there a little longer but it would be cool to see him move up to the big club

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-06-2021, 02:15 PM
Larry Brown would be kind of funny actually. He'll be 81 when the season starts. Pop would be the young guy on the bench at a mere 72. :lol

objective
07-08-2021, 03:02 PM
Kenny Atkinson joining Golden State and I don't even think they had a vacancy, he's just being added.

Vinny Del Negro being considered for the Portland staff apparently.

slick'81
07-08-2021, 04:37 PM
Sooo is pop still retiring in a month or what?

Excessive Egotist
07-08-2021, 05:03 PM
Anthony Grant, University of Dayton head coach.

Sergio Scariolo, assistant with Raptors.

Darvin Ham or Charles Lee, both Bucks assistants.

Manu Ginobili.

Lionel Hollins.

jjspur
07-08-2021, 06:45 PM
I know Steve Clifford was a so so head coach but he would make a decent assistant. Believe has has a defensive background. A number of our assistants have left for greener pastures, so its time bring in some new blood... preferably with NBA experience.

Dex
07-08-2021, 07:02 PM
Sooo is pop still retiring in a month or what?

What does your Magic 8-Ball tell you?

EricB
07-08-2021, 07:13 PM
I know Steve Clifford was a so so head coach but he would make a decent assistant. Believe has has a defensive background. A number of our assistants have left for greener pastures, so its time bring in some new blood... preferably with NBA experience.

steve Clifford would be a terrific assistant.

mo7888
07-08-2021, 07:15 PM
steve Clifford would be a terrific assistant.

He would be great either as an assistant to Pop or as an assistant to a new young HC... can't go wrong there..

EricB
07-08-2021, 07:24 PM
He would be great either as an assistant to Pop or as an assistant to a new young HC... can't go wrong there..

correct. His defensive schemes are top notch. He’d be a terrific coach to either Hammond or Wright

barakz21
07-08-2021, 08:03 PM
Manu would be nice. I’d go for Steve Clifford and Lionel Hollins as well. Honestly think Clifford would be the best out of the 3, but Manu would be great just to get some new blood in there as well as corporate knowledge and have the youngins pick his brains. You can’t teach heart, but who knows he might rub off on them.

The Truth #6
07-08-2021, 08:23 PM
For non-serious reasons I like the idea of reuniting Ty Corbin with Bob Weiss as assistants. Sort of a tip of the hat to the Dark Ages between Ice and Admiral, which we are now basically back in again, albeit 35 years or so later.

slick'81
07-08-2021, 08:45 PM
What does your Magic 8-Ball tell you?

Old fart definitely remains

Degoat
07-08-2021, 09:36 PM
Wonder why Brent Barry isn’t an assistant coach, I’ve seen him discussed for head coaching jobs around the league

tmtcsc
07-09-2021, 11:11 AM
I'm still praying that Manu takes the coaching offer. But he's still enjoying retirement.

Not only No, but Hell No. I don't want Manu's legacy tainted by this garbage. The guy was a competitor & these dudes don't know the meaning of the word. I hope he enjoys the rest of his life and appreciates his past achievements (Olympic Gold Medal- FOR HIS COUNTRY (Im looking at you Sellout Becky)) & 4 NBA Championship Rings.

Dex
07-09-2021, 11:25 AM
Not only No, but Hell No. I don't want Manu's legacy tainted by this garbage. The guy was a competitor & these dudes don't know the meaning of the word. I hope he enjoys the rest of his life and appreciates his past achievements (Olympic Gold Medal- FOR HIS COUNTRY (Im looking at you Sellout Becky)) & 4 NBA Championship Rings.

I still don't understand people who seem to think Manu is going to coach.

Yes, Ginobili drew up some plays on the sideline a few times. We saw Devin Booker doing the same thing a week or two ago in the WCF.

There is absolutely nothing that suggests that Manu wants to become an NBA coach. Dude is living up life traveling and spending time with his family in Argentina. If he DID want to coach (which I don't think he does), he would probably coach their national team.

People need to get over the idea that the Big 3 are somehow going to come back and save us. Timmy only coached for a year and mostly as a favor to Pop. Time to turn over a new leaf, people.

Ocotillo
07-09-2021, 12:39 PM
I'm with you Dex, I don't know that I have ever read or heard anything about Manu wanting to get into coaching. I love the guy but I think he is interested in being a family man now that he is pretty much set for life.

Ocotillo
07-09-2021, 12:42 PM
And I am hoping they find another Chad Forcier type to replace Will Hardy. I see Atkinson is going to Golden State who is someone who had piqued my interest due to his developmental success in Brooklyn prior to them signing all the free agents.

cd98
07-09-2021, 01:01 PM
Pop looking for coaches in the WNBA?

Drom John
07-09-2021, 01:30 PM
Well Pop is in Las Vegas, and Bill Laimbeer is a great coach.

objective
07-09-2021, 02:19 PM
Scott Brooks joining Portland

Vanterpool joining Brooklyn

jjspur
07-10-2021, 02:49 PM
Scott Brooks joining Portland

Vanterpool joining Brooklyn

Dammit, after Clifford, Vanterpool would have been my next choice. Anyone who values defense would help.

objective
07-11-2021, 05:23 PM
Another one down:

Roy Rogers is leaving the clippers to join Portland

He began his coaching career as an assistant in Austin

EricB
07-12-2021, 12:13 AM
All of this is worthless till we know the replacement post olympics

cd98
07-12-2021, 08:28 AM
Spurs will get great assistants for sure. Why? Well first, their assistants get head coaching jobs in the NBA...even when the Spurs aren't playing that great. I don't know if there is a more prominent coaching tree than assistants under Pop. Second, people still think Pop is one of the best, if not the best, coaches in the league. And third, Pop is close to the end, which means there is always a chance that the head coach gig opens up and they will be right there to make a play for it.

look_at_g_shred
07-12-2021, 09:22 AM
Kenny A would've been a great get.

Spursfanfromafar
07-12-2021, 12:20 PM
The way the game has changed.. they need some gimmicky defenses and offenses to steal a march over the rivals. I think it is best for the Spurs to look at at least one innovative assistant coach who has evolved from the video room and has good understanding of analytics as well apart from one more guy who has experience and is a good motivator who can groom talent. (Ginobili would such an awesome fit for the latter! He has elevated every team he has played in. Such players are always going to be excellent coaches.).

TD 21
07-12-2021, 03:28 PM
Perth Wildcats NBL Champion coach Trevor Gleeson to depart for NBA (espn.com) (https://www.espn.com/nbl/story/_/id/31804421/perth-wildcats-nbl-champion-coach-trevor-gleeson-depart-nba)

JuneJive
07-12-2021, 05:41 PM
Perth Wildcats NBL Champion coach Trevor Gleeson to depart for NBA (espn.com) (https://www.espn.com/nbl/story/_/id/31804421/perth-wildcats-nbl-champion-coach-trevor-gleeson-depart-nba)

Going to Toronto.

RC_Drunkford
07-12-2021, 06:50 PM
I don't care who the assistant coaches are. I want a new heacoach instead of this senile idiot dragging down the franchise

objective
07-13-2021, 11:37 PM
Melvin Hunt is not returning to Atlanta. 51 years old, lots of experience. Seems like he's out because he was more Lloyd Pierce's assistant and not sticking around or asked to stay for McMillan.

The Truth #6
07-15-2021, 11:01 AM
IF Becky gets the job, I will be very intrigued whom she hires as assistants. People talk about the concern for macho players not wanting to respect her, I actually think a bigger challenge is getting older coaches to get on board.

Trill Clinton
07-15-2021, 11:30 AM
I hope they get a former player or someone young who can identify with the players.

PrimeMinister
07-15-2021, 12:53 PM
Matt Nielsen

literally my first thought and came here to say this.

Sleeper for next HC as well.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-22-2021, 11:06 AM
Well Pop is in Las Vegas, and Bill Laimbeer is a great coach.

Talk about some "nasty". :lol

But I do agree, Laimbeer is actually a good coach.

The Truth #6
07-22-2021, 01:57 PM
Talk about some "nasty". :lol

But I do agree, Laimbeer is actually a good coach.

I'm definitely intrigued by Laimbeer. Though seen as an oaf, iirc, he's actually quite intelligent. And a weird stat: he's one of the few NBA players that didn't make more than his parents. I think his Dad was a successful CEO of a large company, or something like that.

objective
07-28-2021, 03:49 PM
Lionel Hollins has left the Lakers

D'Antoni has left the Nets but sounds like he's done being an assistant

slick'81
07-28-2021, 04:15 PM
Bring hollins up in here

jjspur
07-28-2021, 04:53 PM
We definitely need an assistant who knows a thing or two about defense.

timvp
07-28-2021, 05:21 PM
Jason Hart would have been an interesting choice but he got hired by the G League Ignite.

Willis Hall has spent three years as the video coordinator for the Spurs and I think he's going into year six with the franchise so this would be about the time where he'd have to enter the conversation as a possible assistant coach.

Other random names assuming Pop returns ....

Dawn Staley - Not sure if she'd take an assistant coaching job considering she'd the head coach at South Carolina and the head coach for Team USA but that could be a stepping stone for her to get a NBA head coaching gig.
Brent Barry - If he wants to be a head coach one day, it'd make some sense.
Malik Rose - Works for the NBA, AFAIR. It'd be cool to bring him home.
Fabricio Oberto - Was color commentator for Austin last season. Knows the game. Great dude. Could reliably hold a clipboard.
Brett Brown - That guy doing anything, tbh? Would help him get another head coaching job.
Darius Songaila - He's already technically an assistant coach but they could let him sit next to Pop instead of in the second row.
Jarron Collins - Kerr could recommend him even though he jumped ship from the Warriors without a landing spot.
Jordi Fernandez - Has connections through Mike Brown and Mike Malone.
Nikos Zisis - Pretty sure he retired recently and was a summer league assistant coach. Extremely smart player.

I was going to list Chase Buford because I was impressed with his G League coaching for the Bucks but it looks like he just got the Sydney Kings head coaching job :tu

exstatic
07-28-2021, 06:38 PM
Bring hollins up in here

No. Former HCs sometimes take assistant gigs, but they rarely do well.

MultiTroll
07-29-2021, 10:17 AM
Could reliably hold a clipboard.
:lol "Clipboard Holder" should be the job title.

That all it's going to be until, make that if Pop ever retires.

objective
08-09-2021, 03:07 PM
Could it be Joseph Blair?

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1424820265393917965

The Timberwolves announce that Jeff Newton is taking the place of Joseph Blair as summer league coach. Blair, I’ve heard, is leaving for a more prominent role on another team

Truckules
08-09-2021, 03:23 PM
Could it be Joseph Blair?

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1424820265393917965

He coached under Brett Brown in Philly so the Spurs connection is there.

Truckules
08-09-2021, 03:30 PM
He coached under Brett Brown in Philly so the Spurs connection is there.

Nope, Wizards