PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Rick Bucher says SA is still going after Kidd

Jimcs50
06-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Today on Dan Patrick, Bill Walton and Rick Bucher had a knock down dragout fight on whether SA will go after Kidd in July. Bill Walton says that SA would be foolish to go after him because Parker is the pointguard of the present and future for SA. Bucher says that he has it on good intel that SA is going to make a push to get Kidd, no matter how he plays against TP in the series. He says that SA is 100% sure they are going to try to sign him come July. They argued back and forth the whole segment and Bucher says to just wait a month and all will see that he is right.

Can the Spurs seriously be considering this move???? I think it is ludicrous to even entertain such a notion and I will protest it vehemently.

Thoughts?

Guru of Nothing
06-09-2003, 10:43 PM
I don't know what will happen, but I'm confident SA only goes after Kidd at Duncan's insistence. There could be no other explanation.

Man, we are gonna have some fun times discussing all this after the Finals.

basketballfan05
06-09-2003, 10:47 PM
If San Antonio even thinks about getting Jason Kidd, they're not thinking at all! Parker, what I've seen so far, can be better then Kidd if he works for it. Don't get me wrong..Jason Kidd is the best point guard, hands down. But, Tony is young and if he works hard, he'll get there. SA needs to let him mature and with Jason there, you can forget about it.

IcemanCometh
06-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Tony does not run the team as well as a Kidd or Nash would.

But he can do other things. We have Tony Paker he is our pg.

STOP FUCKING TRYING TO FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKEN

Admiral
06-09-2003, 10:54 PM
I have been strongly against going after Jason Kidd from day one, and I still stand by that. We have Parker, who is already good and only going to get better. We need a big man like Jermaine O'Neal, NOT a point guard. If we can't get that big man this year, we should prolong the Holting Pattern one more year and get a big star next summer.

Jason Kidd is not the answer to our problems, and bringing in Kidd (even if it means keeping Parker as well) would not work. Parker should be treated like a franchise cornerstone, second only to Duncan, and bringing in Kidd would only impede his development and risk running him off after his rookie deal is up.

The fact that the Spurs would even still consider such a move is insane. If Tim Duncan wants Kidd, I question his judgment and eye for talent. I doubt Duncan wants Kidd though, and possibly never did in the first place.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2003, 10:57 PM
The bottom line is we need Tony Parker the scorer more than we need Jason Kidd the passer to make this team click.

Do we need to go out and blow 12 million per year starting out to have someone to pass it into Duncan on the block?

Gimme a break.

Kidd should be plan C this summer.

Plan A - Jermaine O'Neal.
Plan B - Payton and PJ Brown
Plan C - Kidd

I think Kidd would be fun out running with TP, Manu, and SJax, but truthfully having Malik Rose starting is the scariest part pertaining to Kidd's signing that I want no part of.

AHF

scott
06-09-2003, 11:03 PM
You forgot what is actually my plan A, AHF.

A) Brand
B) O'Neal
C) Whatever combo you want to come up with
D) Kidd

I'm not so sure about Payton. I like what we have at the 2, and I part of the reason I'm against Kidd is because I don't buy into the 2 PG scheme- so why would we want Payton? Don't get me wrong, he is a great player- but the only reason I could see signing him rather than Kidd is for a 1 year deal and to get the capspace back next offseason.

Guru of Nothing
06-09-2003, 11:13 PM
I think Kidd would be fun out running with TP, Manu, and SJax, but truthfully having Malik Rose starting is the scariest part pertaining to Kidd's signing that I want no part of.

I want to refrain from jumping into off-season opportunities until the finals, but it's a slow night.

My first choice (and I reserve the right to change my mind), is JO, BUT a Kidd/Parker back court intersests me. TP = SG on offense, but guards the oppositions 1, except maybe against Marbury. Then big brother Jason enters the pic.

As for Rose starting, and still reserving the right to change my mind, I like Rose coming off the bench.

Now, I hate to say this, because I want to keep Parker, but TParker's trade value will likely be very high after the Finals, maybe high enough to bring in a young, talented front-court player to start alongside Duncan, thus Malik remains in his 6th man role.

Screw it! Occam says sign Jermaine O'Neal.

IcemanCometh
06-09-2003, 11:16 PM
Unlike you people I've always been of the philosophy that what we really need is a swingman who can handle the ball create his own shot and defend. We have the bigman we have the pg we don't have the great 2g. Thats why our offense bogs down so much. We need a mcgrady/kobe/pierce typle player more than we need a garnett/oneal/webber type.

Unfortunately the best player that fits that has a few problems, his name being Lamar Odom. He could become a true superstar in this league with the right coaching. Or he could become a complete washout. But he has all the tools to be great.

That said

Plan A Jermaine Oneal
Plan B Lamar Odom + Maggette

NCaliSpurs
06-09-2003, 11:20 PM
You guys can't fathom how good Timmy would play, at this point in his career, with another dominant big man.

We keep this same team, but upgrade big time on defense and offense.

Brand or Oneal.

Kidd would also make this a better team. Just not as good as Oneal.

Plan B should be kidd.

Archie
06-09-2003, 11:22 PM
The Spurs would be on crack to pass on adding Jason Kidd to this team if he wanted to come. The Spurs cannot afford to pass on a player like him, especially this summer. This is their last legit shot to add a superstar teammate for Duncan during his prime playing years. I'd don't want to see Duncan subjected to what DRob experienced pre 1996-97.

The reason they are going to be targeting Kidd first is because The Man wants him. It's that simple.

What matters most is that they add a great player to this team in the offseason. Add that caliber of talent and then you adjust. If things don't work out then you have talent to trade. That is preferable to adding crap players simply because they better meet your "needs."

As long as they get someone out of Kidd/JO'Neal/Brand/Payton then I am one happy motherfucker. I'll leave it to the experts to complain about a potential Jason Kidd and Tim Duncan tandem wearing the silver & black for the next 6 years.

Guru of Nothing
06-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Scott, I like Brand as much as O'Neal (maybe more), but without a binding promise from DSterling not to match an offer from the Spurs, I don't think we have snowball's chance of signing him.

Walton Buys Off Me
06-09-2003, 11:40 PM
I don't know what will happen, but I'm confident SA only goes after Kidd at Duncan's insistence.

It was probably Duncan's insistence that signed Malik Rose to a seven year contract as well......

If the Spurs go after Jason Kidd this offseason, I will sever my ties as a fan with the team. Not only would they be hurting the maturation process and development of Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, but they would essentially be saying that Malik Rose will be a starter next year, passing up on Jermaine O'Neal and Elton Brand, two players that are light years ahead of Rose in every conceivable category.

Time will tell but for a respected guy like Bucher to say that, he must have some dirt......

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2003, 11:42 PM
scott,

the only reason I could see signing him rather than Kidd is for a 1 year deal and to get the capspace back next offseason.

And then I implement your plan A.

Mark it down: Brand will take a one year offer and become unrestricted next summer.

Sign Payton for a year, let him teach a few more tricks to Tony, get his ring, then bring in Brand.

I agree with Ice, I'd like to get Odom, I just have heard that Sterling likes him the most out of anyone on his squad.

AHF

Betsy
06-09-2003, 11:49 PM
One way or the other, the Spurs need a big man to replace DRob. But it would not hurt to have a man like Kidd also. If they can not get JO, then they should go fo Kidd. But the big man should come first. No doubt. :smokin2

Guru of Nothing
06-09-2003, 11:53 PM
If the Spurs go after Jason Kidd this offseason, I will sever my ties as a fan with the team.

Jim, here's another $100 bet staring you in the face.

SpursFanInAustin
06-10-2003, 12:53 AM
I can only hope that the Kidd to SA rumors are nothing but a smokescreen (CIA Pop), to be under the radar when they make their pursuit of Jermaine O'Neal.

SequSpur
06-10-2003, 01:11 AM
Its funny how some here are saying that Parker couldn't run the team better than yada yada yada...

Parker has sent the best fishing...

No need for a PG...

If Jackson would quit turning the ball over every other time he touches, these playoffs would be over already and we would be celebrating down on the riverwalk.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2003, 01:19 AM
For some who think I'm overly critical of Pop, if we go after Kidd front and center come July 1st, you ain't seen nothing yet.

AHF

Archie
06-10-2003, 01:24 AM
Yeah, if Pop goes after an all-NBA first team member who just led his team to the NBA Finals then he deserves a wild rant from some poster in a Spurs fan forum.

Yeah.

spursfaninla
06-10-2003, 02:19 AM
I have heard that moving parker, because of his very small rookie contract, would be difficult.

Not that other teams would not want him, but that other teams could not give us players close enough to his contract value that would interest us.

Who out there has a contract that is comparable to parkers dollars-wise that we would want?

We would only take a front court player, and who trades a great frontcourt player for a small backcourt play?

Gastol? (even with his recent play they would never do it)

Amare? (still no way)

Houston could use a point guard to move francis to the 2, but we don't want mobley.

I don't see the player we would want.

Thoughts?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2003, 02:41 AM
Archie, as a backup plan I don't mind.

However, on July 1st the first phone call and the first charter jet arriving at San Antonio International should all revolve around Jermaine O'Neal.

AHF

Morphgizmo
06-10-2003, 02:47 AM
Well, I'm on the wagon for a frontcourt all-star before Jkidd as well. But having said that, I'm not going to hang myself from the shower rod if we end up with Kidd instead. He's pretty damn good after all.

If they do grab Kidd, I'll reserve judgment until I see the team play together. The Spurs front office has left little reason for us to doubt them as of late. Boston, Orlando, Indiana, and countless other teams are kicking each other in the asses for passing on Tony in the draft right about now, and nobody saw Manu coming. The maneuvers to get Speedy for useless picks and Jax off the scrap heap were genius. If they don’t move AD and Spider to shave cap space and open up minutes, Kerr isn’t here to save our asses in game six against Dallas. Although I’m still scratching my head about the Bateer transaction, I think the Spurs brass will make the right call in the long run.

I think this is just a case of CIA mode in full effect. When was the last time anyone in the media accurately forecasted a Spurs draft, trade, or FA signing?

Archie
06-10-2003, 02:56 AM
If they got Kidd then you have a Kidd/Parker starting backcourt. Parker is more of a scoring point than a playmaker point. On D Kidd draws the opposing 2. Of course now the Spurs' opponents have to worry about keeping both of them out of the lane.

Speedy would be the obvious casualty of a Kidd acquisition. The Spurs could run a 3 man rotation in the backcourt with Manu coming off the bench. SJax would see his minutes at the 3 spot where he belongs.

Since Speedy wouldn't be coming back the Spurs would have enough cap room to go out and sign a big to start at the 4. If that cap came in at $42 mil or so then the Spurs would have roughly $3 to 4 mil to offer. What they would need is someone who could play about 25 to 30 minutes a game and provide about 8 boards a game with something like 8 to 12 points. PJ Brown might be a stretch for the Spurs since the mid level exception should be pushing $5 mil for 2003-04 I would think.

Kidd
Parker
Bowen
Brown
Duncan

Ginobili
SJackson
Rose

as your top 8.

KoriEllis
06-10-2003, 03:26 AM
David Robinson basically said today during practice that the Spurs are fools if they don't go after Kidd.

Something like (paraphrasing), "If you have the opportunity to get a Jason Kidd, you do. They can share the backcourt and that would be great"

Archie
06-10-2003, 03:42 AM
The main concern for the Spurs is to get an impact player this summer. Period. That's the overriding concern. Spurs fans are getting a little bit ahead of themselves in assuming that the Spurs will be free to sign whoever they would like at their discretion.

Duncan's prime playing years are now and roughly the next 5 seasons. He deserves to spend those years with a superstar teammate.

scott
06-10-2003, 11:43 AM
My predictions I hope never have the chance to prove true or false:

If we sign Kidd,

1. Tony Parker lasts 15 games as starting SG, and no more than one season as a Spur

2. Our D goes from a top 3 unit to a top 10-15 unit

3. Jason Kidd puts up his lowest APG average since his rookie year (7.7, lowest since has been 8.9)

4. We don't win the midwest division

5. We get swept by the Lakers or Kings

6. The combination of scott, Aggie Hoops Fan, Iceman, Walton, and Sequ Spur start no less than 57 "At Least We Have Jason Kidd :rolleyes " threads

ducks
06-10-2003, 11:53 AM
they are going after oneal and kidd and see who bites.

if they both bite then they have to decide who they want more.

I do not think going after kidd and oneal is stupid. You can only have one. But if you go after both of them you are telling then that you do not favor one of the other so their ego's should not be hurt.

and all the spurs players know the company lin ewin it comes to kidd. I would be VERY surprised if a player publically says they do not want kidd right now. This is where inside knowledge would be good.

question can kidd lead a team to the finals in the west?

Ghost Writer
06-10-2003, 11:54 AM
Plan A: Jermaine O'Neal - max
Plan B: Elton Brand - max
Plan C: Michael Olowokandi - between MLE and the max
Plan D: PJ Brown for the MLE
Plan F: Kidd for the max

The time for Payton was to trade for him in 2001 when we had the chance. I don't see how he'd fit on the Spurs in the current scheme of things.

Popovich is going to prove twice that he can coach a Twin Tower-based team to the championship.

Logic dictates that you replace a retiring Twin Tower to mainatin the successful status quo.

Tony Parker is proving that the Spurs can win with him as their PG.

This fascination with Kidd should only occur after all other decent frontcourt free agent options are exhausted. Again, you don't turn down a superstar like Kidd if he wants to play here, but for the money and the current rotation, I think the money would be better well spent in replacing Robinson.

This has been my theory since the day the Holt-ing Pattern became public knowledge in the summer of 2001.

:cooldevil

Archie
06-10-2003, 12:02 PM
I, for one, sincerely hope the Spurs have whatever problems come with having Jason Kidd and Tim Duncan under contract for the next 6 seasons. It'll be tough, but I think I can manage.

The D won't suffer with JKidd. As for Parker's role he's been more of a scorer than a classic point during his short NBA career. Virtually every accolade heaped upon Parker has been due to his ability to shoot and score the rock. TP is not going to be defended by the opposing 2 he will still face 1s.

What team is going to prevent both JKidd and TP from penetrating with a Tim Duncan on the floor? Name one.

The Spurs would have the best transition D and O in the game.

Should the Spurs be so lucky as to sign Jason Kidd this summer then next season a fair number of currently sentimental Spurs fans will feign memory loss when it comes to their opinions on this matter.

Archie
06-10-2003, 12:04 PM
Plan A: Jermaine O'Neal - max
Plan B: Elton Brand - max
Plan C: Michael Olowokandi - between MLE and the max
Plan D: PJ Brown for the MLE
Plan F: Kidd for the max

The Spurs aren't that stupid.

Olowokandi? PJ Brown? Right.

ducks
06-10-2003, 12:05 PM
DOESN'T WANT KIDD:
Tim Duncan says he'd much rather see Spurs go after big man to replace David Robinson instead of signing another point guard such as Jason Kidd.
- Before Gregg Popovich and his staff decide to reach out for that certain someone or two, I assume they'll ask for your opinion?"
"Yeah, I'm sure they'll come to me and ask for my input," Duncan agreed.
"And, what do you think your team needs most?"
"We need another scorer."
"With David Robinson leaving we definitely need a big man."
"And, who would you like to replace him?"
"There's Jermaine O'Neal and Brad Miller. P.J. Brown is also out there. He'd be a nice fit, too," answered Duncan before offering a stream of accolades on behalf of restricted free agent Elton Brand, the Clippers' undersized macho forward - the starting lineup's version of Malik Rose.
"Who would you prefer? A center or a power forward?"
"That's a good question. I prefer a center," Duncan said after a brief pause.
Guess that decides that.

article written by Peter Vecseyscoop (http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/36297.htm)

Ghost Writer
06-10-2003, 12:28 PM
Archie, you have zero clout to deem anything 'stupid'. You have to be right about something for once to have an opinion that matters.

Jason Kidd is not, was not, nor ever will be a Spur. Be gone, troll.

Archie
06-10-2003, 12:30 PM
"Spurs need a credible black assistant coach."

Ghost Writer
06-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Spurs Fan, they didn't need a credible black assistant coach after all. popovich started to believe in ballas all on his own. You're welcome.

Archie
06-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Ha. I hope Mike Brown takes the news well that he isn't a "credible black."

Ghost Writer
06-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Weak attempt to divert attention from your original weak stance, but I'll play along.

Please list Mike Brown's imprssive credentials before joining the Spurs.

<sound of crickets chirping>

The point of "the Spurs need a credible black assistant coach" was to discuss the Spurs resistance to playing young, African-American athletic players over the older, more conservative, stiff veterans.

Popovich loosened his stance this season and the results speak for themselves.

P.S.

Kidd is not a good fit here, will coast the max and can't play center.

scott
06-10-2003, 12:48 PM
Kidd is not a good fit here, will coast the max and can't play center.

Why can't he play center? You are such an inside-the-box thinker, Ghost!

:)

Archie
06-10-2003, 12:50 PM
The point of "the Spurs need a credible black assistant coach" was to discuss the Spurs resistance to playing young, African-American athletic players over the older, more conservative, stiff veterans.

Yeah like that young African-Argentinian Manu Ginobili, eh?

Ghost Writer
06-10-2003, 01:19 PM
No, like Speedy Claxton and Stephen Jackson.

Kidd's not coming, apl. Never was.

Still dodging the original issue, huh, Arch?

Archie
06-10-2003, 01:20 PM
I haven't dodged anything. And that type of criticism is rather rich coming from you.

Ghost Writer
06-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Then get back to the topic.

Why are you still so stuck on Kidd?

Question.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Arch,

for Parker's role he's been more of a scorer than a classic point during his short NBA career. Virtually every accolade heaped upon Parker has been due to his ability to shoot and score the rock.

It's kind of hard to be a great set up man when you have to throw it into Duncan every time down, don't you think?

Given the chance I think he'd do fine setting up his teammates, but that's not what he's asked to do, and not what he does.

AHF

Archie
06-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Why are you still so stuck on Kidd?

For the 12,345th time...the Spurs must make a major acquisition this summer. This is their last real chance to do so for the next decade. How many times did the Spurs have cap flexibility like this in the David Robinson era? You guys act like the Spurs can afford to pass on a top player like Kidd. They can't. The Spurs are in no position whatsoever to start passing on a great player like Kidd simply because he doesn't perfectly fit their lineup. Passing on a Kidd-Duncan tandem for the next 6 years is something this franchise cannot afford to do when the alternative is crap like Olowokandi or Brad Miller.

As much as some of you bag on Pop, he would be laughed out of the NBA if he did such a thing. Parker's a nice player but of course it is a little easier being a nice player when your teammate is the best player in the NBA. Switch Parker and Kidd in this series and do you really think that Parker would be performing as well as he has?

Again, the Spurs must get a top free agent this summer...Kidd/JO'Neal/Brand/Payton. They cannot afford to sit with a thumb in their ass as some of you geniuses are suggesting they should.

Ghost Writer
06-11-2003, 11:51 AM
Arch, you are half right.

Parker is doing this well, because he has Duncan to be the focal point of the Nets' defense.

Kidd > Parker

Having said that, the Spurs absolutely do NOT have to acquire a star for the sake of acquiring any old star.

That may have been true a month ago, but not since the Spurs improbable run for a second title in the Twin Towers Era.

This ring will prove that a team built around Tim Duncan and a nucleus of Parker-Ginobili-Jackson-Rose and a capable center like Robinson is good enough to win it all.

J. O'Neal and Elton Brand are superstars.

Olowokandi and PJ Brown are not, but they are still every bit as good as Robinson is now and would not command a max salary.

Either way, a big man is coming to San Antonio at the appropriate salary to replace/upgrade the vacancy in the front court left by a retiring Robinson.

Logic dictates that if you upgrade the only position you'll be losing froma championship-caliber team, you're inproving upon a title team.

This is happening whether you like it or not, SpursFan/Marcus/Arch.

Archie
06-11-2003, 12:37 PM
No surprise that you favor passing on an all-NBA First Team member for manure like Olowokandi or Miller.

This is the last time this decade that the Spurs will be able to add a player of Kidd's caliber. The Spurs won't pass on him should be want to come to SA.

scott
06-11-2003, 12:39 PM
This is the last time this decade that the Spurs will be able to add a player of Kidd's caliber.

At least until next year when they could add the UFA Elton Brand...

Archie
06-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Not if they retain SJackson and Claxton this summer.

Ghost Writer
06-11-2003, 01:02 PM
You're misguided, Arch.

You do realize that the Spurs are two wins away from a title and the only player in the rotation we'll be losing is Robinson, right?

"Manure" like PJ Brown and Michael Olowokandi will give everything Robinson gave this past season and more for about the same price or less than Robinson if the Spurs decide to go that route.

O'Neal or Brand will satisfy your hard-on for another scoring star.

Forget Kidd, kid.

ducks
06-11-2003, 01:03 PM
do you really need to max out a guy to dump it in to duncan?(a.h. emailed me that) I know kidd can do more then that .kidd can rebound and is a veteran and gets breaks from the refs. Kidd can create but parker can to. but if parker is mvp of the finals then parker should get breaks from the refs next year.

Archie
06-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Oh, so now I'm "misguided"? Right. You never turn down a Jason Kidd if he wants to play for you. Never. And especially not for crap like Olowokandi or PJ Brown for that matter. The Spurs will not have this level of cap flexibility again for a long time. And, of course, you would force Tim Duncan to go through what David Robinson went through in 1989-96 when he had to carry the damn team all by himself. Just so that the Spurs could have the 'perfect' lineup. Now if they would only get rid of that 6'7" Malik Rose and get someone who looks, but may not play like a 'real' power forward.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-11-2003, 01:28 PM
I have to agree with Archie.

I don't think you would pass on a Jason Kidd, ever.

He's the best free-agent available, better than Brand, better than O'Neal. I think if the Spurs acquired Kidd, they would probably make multiple moves to shore up the other positions somewhat.

If the Kidd experiment didn't work in the first year, the Spurs could trade him for half a roster from another team.

He's the most valuable commodity out there, and I think you take that if you can.

Archie
06-11-2003, 02:02 PM
To clarify my position...I want the Spurs to come out of this summer having acquired one of the following: JO'Neal/Kidd/Brand/Payton. I'll leave it to them to worry about who is the best fit. But they must acquire a major talent this summer. Why? Because this will be the last likely time during Duncan's prime playing years that the Spurs will have a chance to add a major talent as his teammate without having to give up a lot of theirs. Add the talent, adjust. The worst position to have in the NBA is one in which you are capped out and you do not have a lot of talent on your roster that you can move. The Spurs were in this bind during the mid 1990s prior to the Duncan lottery. I'm not sure the Spurs can count on winning the lottery again in 2007.

Think about it...the worst position the Spurs could be in (according to some Spurs fans) is that the Spurs have Jason Kidd and Tim Duncan under contract. Oh no. That would surely be a low point in the history of the San Antonio Spurs. No doubt.

In reality, the worst position would be to miss out on any of those top 4, then use up their cap room this summer on miscellaneous 'talent' like Olowokandi, Howard, etc...and have no ability to make a major free agent acquisition anytime soon while the trade value of that acquired 'talent' is marginal at best.

Add the talent, adjust as necessary.

Ghost Writer
06-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Your "clarification" comes a little too late. The discussion has moved from "would you add Kidd" to "who would you add first".

Most of us have already said that you don't pass on a Jason Kidd if he wants to play here, but that's only after all star big man options are exhausted.

And the difference between not adding a star to Robinson's teams and now Duncan's team is that Robinson never won a title on his own, so there was more of an urgency there.

Coming off another title, there's no absolute need to add any ol' superstar to Duncan's Spurs regardless of the position.

The Holt-ing Pattern, is, has, and always will be about replacing David Robinson.

As a last resort, PJ Brown or Michael Olowokandi will indeed be looked at to do that for somewhere between the MLE and the max, rather than dumping max dollars to Jason Kidd — a luxury that would solve no weaknesses whatsoever.

Repeat after me:

We're winning a title with Duncan-Parker-Jack-Manu-Rose and Robinson.

We will continue to win more with Duncan-Parker-Jack-Manu-Rose and J. O'Neal/Brand/PJ Brown/Olowokandi.

Get it together.

The team is winning a title with the current cast. Duncan wants a scoring big man. The team will need a scoring big man.

Kidd's not the first priority this summer.

Deal with it.

Archie
06-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Whatever, man. You said earlier in the thread that you would take Olowokandi before Kidd. Nice backtracking.

Ghost Writer
06-11-2003, 02:31 PM
I would. There's no backtracking there.

I'd take Olowokandi between the MLE and the max over Kidd for the max this summer.

I don't know how many times and different ways I can explain the reality of the situation to you.

The Spurs are not desperate for a second star anymore, pal. We're winning a title this season with what we've got. They're going to upgrade the one starting spot that will be vacated this summer.

Get it through your thick skull.

Try reading before reacting sometime.

baseline bum
06-11-2003, 03:14 PM
If the Spurs sign Jackson and Claxton for $5 million combined they'll have the capspace to throw a max deal at Brand next season.... not that I'm advocating that. I'd rather spend the capspace on Payton + Kandi/Brown than wait until next year and just lose more than $3 million in capspace if worst comes to worst. If the Spurs decide to Holt for Brand all they can really do this season is offer a big-money 1-year deal to Zo and fill out a bench of ring-hungry vets on 1-year deals.