PDA

View Full Version : Marbury has breakout game as Brown gets first MSG win

ducks
11-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Marbury has breakout game as Brown gets first MSG win
By DOUG FEINBERG, AP Sports Writer
November 21, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Stephon Marbury and his cousin Sebastian Telfair bring out the best in each other.

Marbury scored a season-high 27 points Sunday to help New York beat Telfair and the Portland Trail Blazers 103-92, giving coach Larry Brown his first Knicks victory at Madison Square Garden.

"This is a game we both look forward to," said Telfair, who had a career-high 27 points for the Blazers. "I love playing against him. He is always going to push me and come at me because he wants me to do well and I want him to do well."

ADVERTISEMENT
Marbury was impressed by the play of his younger cousin.

"He played great, his best game as a pro," Marbury said. "He was very poised and he got everyone involved."

Telfair, a native of Brooklyn, was excited for a chance to play at home in front of family and friends.

"Getting a chance to play at the Garden is a special thing," he said.

Channing Frye added 20 points and Jamal Crawford had 19 for New York. Zach Randolph had 17 points and Darius Miles added 16 for the Blazers, who opened a seven-game road trip.

Marbury left the game with 44.2 seconds left and New York leading 103-92, drawing a standing ovation.

"It's always great to win," Marbury said. "Especially winning for coach, being that it was his first."

In other NBA games Sunday it was Toronto 107, Miami 94; Los Angeles Clippers 113, Golden State 101; Indiana 85, Houston 74; Denver 99, Memphis 83; Seattle 106, Sacramento 104; and Chicago 96, the Los Angeles Lakers 93.

Brown had hoped Marbury would be more aggressive, and his star responded with 14 points in the first half, only to be outdone by his cousin, who had 19.

"I thought they were both spectacular," Brown said of the two point guards. "I respect what they both did."

The Knicks (3-7) used a 16-5 run over the end of the third quarter and beginning of the fourth to turn a 70-69 deficit into a 85-75 lead. Frye had eight points during that span.

Portland shot 55 percent from the field (33-for-60), but had a season-high 23 turnovers, including seven by Miles.

"It's all about numbers and points, we had no focus on the defensive end," Portland coach Nate McMillian said. "We have too many people concerned about numbers, touches, and the way they look as opposed to playing the right way."

Juan Dixon had 11 points in the fourth quarter, including three 3-pointers, to try and keep the Blazers (3-5) close. But the Trail Blazers could get no closer than seven points.

Eddy Curry kept the Knicks close with 12 points in the first half, but didn't return. He has been slowed by a left calf injury.

"I have been trying to play through it, but it hurt a little bit," Curry said. "It got a little sore as I played. I just have to take care of it so that it is not a nagging injury."

Raptors 107, Heat 94

At Toronto, the Raptors won for the first time in 10 games this season, beating Miami to leave Atlanta as the NBA's only winless team.

Chris Bosh had a season-high 27 points and 12 rebounds, and Mike James added 25 points for Toronto. The 0-9 start -- the worst start in the Raptors' 11-year history -- was Toronto's longest losing streak since a 12-game skid Dec. 18, 2002-Jan. 10, 2003.

Dwyane Wade had 33 points, nine assists and eight rebounds for the Heat.

Clippers 113, Warriors 101

At Los Angeles, Elton Brand had 32 points and 10 rebounds to help the Pacific Division-leading Clippers improve to 8-2, the best start in franchise history, and tie defending champion San Antonio for the best record in the Western Conference.

Baron Davis had 21 points and 13 assists for Golden State.

Pacers 85, Rockets 74

At Indianapolis, Ron Artest scored 24 points to lead the Pacers. Stephen Jackson added 17 points and Jermaine O'Neal had 15 points and 11 rebounds.

Yao Ming led Houston with 24 points and 13 rebounds.

Nuggets 99, Grizzlies 83

At Denver, Marcus Camby had 21 points and 21 rebounds in 34 minutes in the Nuggets' 17th straight victory at Pepsi Center and 16th consecutive home win over the Grizzlies.

Carmelo Anthony added 21 points and 10 rebounds in 36 minutes, and Earl Boykins had 18 points for Denver (6-5), which moved over .500 for the first time this season.

Pau Gasol had 24 points and 12 rebounds for Memphis.

SuperSonics 106, Kings 104

At Seattle, Ray Allen scored 21 of his 28 points in the second half to lead the SuperSonics to their third straight win.

Peja Stojakovic led Sacramento with 25 points -- all in the first half -- before a third-period hand injury led to Allen and Seattle taking over the game.

Bulls 96, Lakers 93

At Los Angeles, Chris Duhon scored 11 of his 21 points in the fourth quarter, and Chicago beat the Lakers despite 43 points by Kobe Bryant, matching an NBA single-game high this season.

Michael Sweetney added 20 points and 12 rebounds for the Bulls.

Bryant, who shot 17-of-34, didn't score after his basket with 7:25 to play gave the Lakers an 84-77 lead.

boutons
11-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Nate: "We have too many people concerned about numbers, touches, and the way they look as opposed to playing the right way."

O U C H ! ! !

Bloodline666
11-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Nate: "We have too many people concerned about numbers, touches, and the way they look as opposed to playing the right way."

O U C H ! ! !

Ain't that the truth? That's why Larry Brown's one of my favorite coaches of all time. "Playing the right way" is, and to my knowledge, has always been, his phylosophy.