PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Corey Maggette

picnroll
04-12-2003, 05:26 PM
What's the word on Maggette?

I really like this guy, unfortunately he fills a need the Spurs don't really have, SF/SG with Bowen, Jax and Manu. Still the guy has shown steady improvement, is athletic as hell, dveloping a nice outside shot, and he shows up particularly for the tough teams. He gives an efficient 17 per night and good rebounding for the position.

Nbadan
04-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Maggette is really being courted by Denver, who also has some cap money to spend this summer. If the Spurs wanted to go this route though why not take a chance on Lamar Odom who is much better than Corey?

Mark in Austin
04-12-2003, 06:46 PM
and 4 inches taller. If the Spurs want to upgrade the 3, Odom is the first, last, and only choice as far as I'm concerned.

picnroll
04-12-2003, 06:49 PM
I like Odom's talent too but there's the questions of fragility and drugs.

I doubt Pop going to be a risk taker when it comes to a few million in cap space. Unless Pop somehow knows with fair certainty that with Odom there unlikely to be problems and that Odom will unquestionably bring the type of attitude Pop likes to get Odom ain't gonna happen with the Spurs I don't think.

SAmikeyp
04-13-2003, 12:21 AM
I like Odom's talent too but there's the questions of fragility and drugs.

amen. he is more talented than Corey but Corey is the safer pick.

timvp
04-13-2003, 12:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3336.jpghttp://espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nba/med/trans/lac.GIF

Name: Corey Maggette
Height: 6-6
Weight: 228 lbs.
Pos: GF
Born: November 12, 1979, Melrose Park, Illinois
Drafted: 1999, 1st round, 13th pick by SuperSonics
College: Duke

I like a couple things about this guy:

1) His athleticism. He's one of the best pure athletes in the NBA. In college, he might have been the most athletic freshman of all-time.

2) He gets to the line. Maggette has become a relentless penetrator and gets to the line a lot. A bonus is he hits for a high percentage.

3) His first name:queen

KoriEllis
04-13-2003, 12:30 AM
How can you guys be worried about Odom's health and not Maggette's? How many games a year has Maggette played, 65? He is as "fragile" as Odom is, and a lot less versatile and athletic.

He is also rumored to be L-A-Z-Y, doesn't lift weights or practice as hard as the Clippers want. And keep in mind, the Clips' requirements are not that tough. Hell, Keith Closs and Mo Taylor played there.

Patrick Davis
04-13-2003, 01:21 AM
I like Maggette, but I would rather get Odom. We'll probably end up with niether.

Big Syke
04-13-2003, 08:35 PM
I love Maggette! He is a moster athlete. If you give him a gameplan, he would be awesome!

IcemanCometh
04-26-2003, 11:05 PM
why not get both odom and maggette.
odom is in the mold of the next gen nba stars. the do everything players.

while maggette is an atheletic monster who can become a BEAST on defense one day.

timvp
04-27-2003, 12:05 AM
To become a beast on defense, that would require him playing defense.

He hasn't done that yet in his career.

IcemanCometh
04-27-2003, 02:01 AM
you've obviously never seen him play

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-combo26x.html

Nbadan
05-19-2003, 06:19 AM
I prefer Maggette to Stephen Jackson, but the price tag may be considerable higher for Maggette. Some team like Denver is likely to throw money at Maggette, and it could turn into a bidding war for money well spent elsewhere by both teams.

SpursBloke
05-21-2003, 06:10 AM
He's a more allround player than Jackson is. Didn't Pop go after him a few seasons back?

If we couldnt make good on the toptier guys, I wouldnt mind Magette as concelation prize

Nbadan
05-21-2003, 06:30 AM
If we couldnt make good on the toptier guys, I wouldnt mind Magette as concelation prize

I think you would have alot of Spur fans up in arms if after two years of the Holting pattern, all the Spurs could come up with is Corey Maggette.

I have a feeling that the Spurs will make a run at the most vulnerable free agent available, which for now seems to be Jermaine O'Neal. Whether he can be enticed to leave Indy is questionable, especially since O'Neal wouldn't be the top-dog with the Spurs the way he has been with the Pacers.

Besides after having started his career in Portland, O'Neal has become accustomed to playoff disappointment, so Indy's quick exit from this year post season should be of little impact in O'Neal decision.

Mark in Austin
06-09-2003, 01:34 AM
Tim Grover had a few things to say about Maggette a couple days ago that suprised me.

Jim Rome asked him who, after Jordan, has pushed themselves the most / been the most driven at hoops the gym, and he said Maggette! Maybe some of the problems earlier in his career can be attributed to immaturity.

I still don't think he's big enough to play 3, and our backcourt is already too crowded for him to fit in at 2.

Nice player, but doesn't really fill a need.

Nbadan
06-10-2003, 07:33 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think Maggette will be a nice pick-up for the right team, but I don't think that team is the Spurs. At least, not unless he is willing to take a one year deal at considerably less than the MLE which realistically would be a decent price for Corey in the East.

After two years of waiting, I think Spur fans are looking for the team to add a real impact player, and I'm not sure that Maggette is that much of a difference maker. At least, he has failed to impress in LA despite decent enough numbers on the surface.