PDA

View Full Version : Draft:Charlie Villanueva

IcemanCometh
04-27-2003, 02:25 AM
yet another high schooler with mad skillz. right now looking like a high 2nd round pick. an all around talent at 6-9 that would need to be groomed. with the depth we will have we can wait and bring him along slowly.

Big Syke
04-27-2003, 02:32 AM
Playa can ball!

T Park Num 9
04-27-2003, 03:25 AM
the next Tracy Mcgrady?

or the next Leon Smith?

SanAntonioBard
04-27-2003, 10:25 AM
Ice - Your obsession with High School boys worries me...:lol I hear that Lenny Cook is available, failing to survive NBA camp this year.

The new guy at Kansas had previously recruited him, and there are rumors that he is interested in following him to KU. I hope he does. He has talent, but his body is in NO way ready for the league at 6'9" 210.

Nbadan
04-27-2003, 12:04 PM
Villanueva has the skills to make it in the NBA, but because of his lack of size could slip into the second round. Right now, most mock drafts have him in the late first round or early second round. Villanueva has not hired a agent, a sure sign that he is not totally committed to surrendering his amateur status just yet.

SanAntonioBard
04-27-2003, 12:32 PM
Villanueva has not hired a agent, a sure sign that he is not totally committed to surrendering his amateur status just yet.

The agent thing doesn't matter as much for HS kids. The minute that they declare for the draft, they become ineligable for NCAA basketball. If he declares, he might as WELL go ahead and hire an agent.

genghisrex
04-27-2003, 12:43 PM
The agent thing doesn't matter as much for HS kids. The minute that they declare for the draft, they become ineligable for NCAA basketball. If he declares, he might as WELL go ahead and hire an agent.Actually, I'm pretty sure that the NCAA softened its stance a little. I believe now HS players can play in college if they declare for the draft, but go undrafted. That's a big if, though, because I doubt someone with Villanueva's potential would escape the second round w/o some team taking a chance.

SanAntonioBard
04-27-2003, 12:59 PM
genghis - When did they change this? I know the aforementioned Mr. Cook was screwed over as recently as the last draft by declaring...

genghisrex
04-27-2003, 01:09 PM
Apparently they did it last April (2002). Here's an ESPN article I dug up:

msn.espn.go.com/ncb/news/2002/0425/1374084.html (http://msn.espn.go.com/ncb/news/2002/0425/1374084.html)

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA relaxed its eligibility rules Thursday, allowing high school athletes to enter the NBA draft but still go to college as long as they don't sign with a team or an agent.

But the most significant change involved high school basketball players, who can now test the draft waters and still go to college. The players' rights would be owned by the NBA team that picked them for a year after they leave college, and players can only enter the draft once.

I don't know why Cooke lost his eligibility. Maybe he hired an agent?

genghisrex
04-27-2003, 01:20 PM
Come to think of it, did Cooke even graduate from high school? I seem to remember him dropping out late in the year, but I could be wrong. I know he had a lot of academic problems so even if he did get his diploma he may not have scored high enough on his SAT. His NCAA ineligibility was probably strictly academic.

SanAntonioBard
04-27-2003, 01:29 PM
Thanks genghis! You're a font of information. :) It sounds like a player could even be DRAFTED, and not sign, and still go to school.

Nbadan
04-28-2003, 05:41 AM
Actually Ghengis Rex was close in his assumptions, but as this article from the National Association of Basketball Coaches (http://nabc.ocsn.com/sports/c-baskbl/spec-rel/050102aaa.html) states 'a player can enter the NBA draft and still go to college as long as they don't sign with an agent or with a team'...

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The NCAA relaxed its eligibility rules Thursday, allowing high school athletes to enter the NBA draft but still go to college as long as they don't sign with a team or an agent.

The board tabled a measure that would have allowed high schoolers to play up to one year professionally while retaining college eligibility. That measure will not be debated again until at least August.

The new eligibility rule will become effective starting with the NBA draft this year.

"I think it is a cautious step forward," said Ohio State president Brit Kirwan, chairman of the board. "I think the membership will keep revisiting the issue (amateurism) and will be making adjustments in the future."

The NCAA is in the process of redefining "amateur" because of the increasing amount of college players leaving early for professional drafts and the increase in high schoolers who are skipping college altogethe

MI21
04-28-2003, 12:42 PM
Villanueva is a cocky bastard, but he could definitly succeed in the NBA.

Worth a 2nd Round pick IMO.

Nbadan
05-19-2003, 06:08 AM
Just watched the Dunk Competition from this year McDonalds Invitational on ESPN (replay) again, and am convinced that Villanueva could be a decent player in this league someday, but that won't be for years and I'm not sure the Spurs are the patient, especially since they have such a penchant for foreign players who they can keep overseas.

In fact, If the Spurs keep they're first round pick, I fully expect them to pick a Euro player who they can keep off the books for now.

kohai
05-26-2003, 08:48 PM
In fact, If the Spurs keep they're first round pick, I fully expect them to pick a Euro player who they can keep off the books for now.

Even a Euro counts as a cap slot if he's picked in the first round, since thosee contracts are guaranteed. Only second rounders don't count on the cap.

Nbadan
05-27-2003, 04:52 AM
Well, that's not exactly true. A Euro player who remains signed by another professional Euro team does not count against the teams salary cap as long as his contract remains in effect...

Here is the scoup from Section 7 of the CBA (http://www.nbpa.com/cba/articleVII.html#section4)..

e) First Round Picks.

(1) Beginning with the 1998 Draft, a First Round Pick, immediately upon selection in the Draft, shall be included in the Team Salary of the Team that holds his draft rights at 100% of his applicable Rookie Scale Amount, and, subject to subsection (e)(2) below, shall continue to be included in the Team Salary of any Team that holds his draft rights (including any Team to which the player’s draft rights are assigned) until such time as the player signs with such Team or until the Team loses or assigns its exclusive draft rights to the player.

(2) In the event that a First Round Pick signs with a non-NBA team, the player’s applicable Rookie Scale Amount shall be excluded from the Team Salary of the Team that holds his draft rights, beginning on the date he signs such non-NBA contract or the first day of the Regular Season, whichever is later, and shall be included again in his Team’s Team Salary at the applicable Rookie Scale Amount on the following July 1 or the date the player’s contract ends (or the player is released from his non-NBA contractual obligations), whichever is earlier, unless the Team renounces its exclusive rights to the player in accordance with Article X, Section 3(f). If, after such following July 1, or any subsequent July 1, the player signs another, or remains under, contract with a non-NBA team, the player’s applicable Rookie Scale Amount will again be excluded from Team Salary beginning on the date of the contract signing or the first day of the Regular Season commencing after such July 1, whichever is later, and will again be included in Team Salary at the applicable Rookie Scale Amount on the following July 1 or the date the player’s contract ends (or the player is released from his non-NBA contractual obligations), whichever is earlier, unless the Team renounces its exclusive rights to the player in accordance with Article X, Section 3(f).

(3) For purposes of this Section 4(e), in the event that a First Round Pick does not sign a Contract with the Team that holds his draft rights during the Salary Cap Year immediately following the Draft in which he was selected (or during the same Salary Cap Year in which he was drafted if the Draft occurs on or after July 1), the "applicable Rookie Scale Amount" for such First Round Pick means, with respect to any subsequent Salary Cap Year, the Rookie Scale Amount that would apply if the player were drafted in the Draft immediately preceding such Salary Cap Year at the same draft position at which he was actually selected.

genghisrex
05-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Ultimately that's right, Nbadan, but the problem is that the first round cap space is tied up until the first day of the regular season, which would clearly handicap offseason moves:

In the event that a First Round Pick signs with a non-NBA team, the player’s applicable Rookie Scale Amount shall be excluded from the Team Salary of the Team that holds his draft rights, beginning on the date he signs such non-NBA contract or the first day of the Regular Season, whichever is later

Nbadan
05-29-2003, 04:50 AM
I see what you mean, but couldn't the Spurs negotiate a contract with a free-agent player during trading season if they knew that the amount guaranteed by the CBA to first round picks will come off the books by the beginning of the regular season anyway?

This is what I am getting at. The Spurs will have about $15 million in available cap space this summer. Assuming that they go after either Jason Kidd or Olowokandi that would use about $10-12 million in the first year. That would mean that the Spurs will still have about 4 million in available cap space to play with. The Spurs could then use all, or part of this amount to sign a additional free agent knowing full well that at the start of the regular season, they will be able to deduct the first-round player guaranteed money from their payroll. This would give the Spurs the option of adding a player who may have slipped through the free-agent cracks in the league during the regular season.

genghisrex
06-07-2003, 07:41 PM
Rumor has it that Villanueva is pulling out of the draft and going to UConn because he's not likely to be picked in the first round.

Mark in Austin
06-09-2003, 01:37 AM
He apparently sucked ass in his private workouts in Chicago last week. Had scouts literrally walking out of the gym during his workout due to lack of effort. Word is he didn't even break a sweat.

What a little bitch.

Nbadan
06-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Click here (http://pub97.ezboard.com/fspursdominionfrm1.showMessage?topicID=1092.topic) for the latest news on Villanueva's poor workout and unimpressive attitude.