PDA

View Full Version : Would the Spurs consider.......

SenorSpur
11-21-2005, 08:14 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=sheridan_chris

Early trade buzzposted: Monday, November 21, 2005

Trade activity typically subsides during the first month of the NBA season, and this year has been no different. Only five trades have taken place since training camps opened, and none since the start of the regular season three weeks ago.
But teams are still talking, and the pace of deal-making should pick up after Dec. 15, when players who signed over the summer become trade eligible.

Since the teams are talking to each other, we're talking to them as well to find out who's available and who will be.

Here's the Top 5 on our Most Likely to be Traded List, aside from Kevin Garnett.

P.J. Brown, New Orleans Hornets. With the team temporarily located a long way from his hometown of Slidell, La., the main factor that kept P.J. married to the Hornets is a nonfactor now.
The 36-year-old would be happy with a trade to a contender, and his $8 million salary this season and next has made him the most sought-after big man on the trade market (other than Garnett). Coach Byron Scott wants to keep Brown, but owner George Shinn is rebuilding.

Other teams expect the Hornets to wait 20-25 games before becoming active on a Brown trade.

Zoran Planinic, Nets. Looks as though New Jersey has been showcasing the third-year 6-foot-7 Croatian point guard caught, who's in a crowded backcourt numbers crunch along with fellow reserves Jeff McInnis, Lamond Murray and Jacque Vaughn on a team desperate for size.
He's signed through next season, and he's shown flashes. Detractors point out he loves the nightlife, he loves to boogie -- too much, maybe.

The Portland Trail Blazers entry: Zach Randolph/Darius Miles. The relationship is already rocky between new coach Nate McMillan and the two young multimillionaires, and the Blazers might be seriously rethinking their earlier decision to commit a combined $134 million to the two athletically gifted but averse-to-authority forwards.
Randolph's skill level gives him huge trade value, but there aren't many players signed through 2010-11, and he's one of 'em.

The Cleveland Cavaliers entry: Luke Jackson/Sasha Pavlovic/Eric Snow. There isn't enough room in a tight Cavs rotation for the two backups, Jackson and Pavlovic, and both have been showcased by a team that has stormed out of the gate.
If the Cavs want to keep both youngsters, they can deal Snow to New York for Malik Rose and make Damon Jones their starter. Rose and Snow are both under contract through '08-09. Knicks coach Larry Brown loves Snow, and Cavs general manager Danny Ferry is a fan of Rose, his former teammate, so it seems to make sense for both teams.

Luol Deng, Chicago Bulls. There's no question the Bulls love him, but they're also desperate for size if they want to make a serious run this season. As of now, they'll have more cap room than anyone next summer, but the best available free agent big man might be Nazr Mohammed (depending on what happens with Ben Wallace). If they move Deng, they'll get value -- and perhaps a better big man than what'll be available next summer. There won't be any room for Deng next season if Peja Stojakovic and Andres Nocioni are the small forwards.

First off, I'm not here to advocate the Spurs do anything this season to disrupt the mission of repeating as NBA champs. Having said that, if the Bulls are serious about pursuing and obtaining Mohammed either now or next summer, should the Spurs possibly consider adding an athletic wing player like Deng? Of course, they'd have to do a sign and trade to make it happen. I doubt they would let Nazr walk w/o compensation - that would be stupid.

Deng is long, athletic and a decent defender, yet still young and very raw. He does have enough "untapped" potential to thrive in the type of structure and environment the Spurs could provide him. Perhaps he would be the ideal answer to that long-asked question of "who's going to be Bruce Bowen's understudy?"

Thoughts?

ALVAREZ6
11-21-2005, 08:15 PM
dsajfbhaslfkafvasjg

Nazr for Nocioni.

exstatic
11-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Deng for Nazr? Where do I sign?

KEVIN78250
11-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Or Deng For Rasho And Scola And A Draft Pick. Either Way I Think Deng Would Be A Good Pick Up.

FromWayDowntown
11-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Deng is a straight on lottery type and is still very, very young. He's only 3 years out of high school at this point. That's precisely why I'd be shocked if the Bulls went for something like that. I guess that if the Bulls are hovering over a playoff spot and have a chance to get better immediately, they might consider dealing Luol. But I'd think they could do much better than Nazr for that sort of a talent.

exstatic
11-21-2005, 10:07 PM
The Bulls really want someone to play center so that Chandler can go back to his more natural PF position. I think Nazr would do well there, and with heavier minutes, he would be productive on D and on the boards. Right now, the Bulls are 2 deep at the 3 spot, and 3 deep at PG/undersized 2. Nazr would be good for them, but if it doesn't work out, they go shopping next summer with his and Tim Thomas's salaries.

IcemanCometh
11-21-2005, 10:17 PM
uhm they would not trade deng for nazr

ploto
11-21-2005, 11:17 PM
Do people read? The article says that Nazr may be the best big on the FA market next summer and that the Bulls can try to trade for someone better than him now. That first statement is why Nazr won't be a Spur next season because someone will offer him the money.

Brutalis
11-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Do people read? The article says that Nazr may be the best big on the FA market next summer and that the Bulls can try to trade for someone better than him now. That first statement is why Nazr won't be a Spur next season because someone will offer him the money.
Thus we trade him before he can leave.

ploto
11-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Thus we trade him before he can leave.
Yeah- but I am talking from the Bulls perspective. Although I have said all along that Nazr will SIGN with the Bulls next summer.

ShoogarBear
11-22-2005, 12:49 AM

Exactly. The point is the Bulls want better than Nazr for Deng.

Plus, the way Nazr is playing, he's not getting a big payday next summer, anyway.

SequSpur
11-22-2005, 01:14 AM
nazr is getting jack based on his play during the playoffs.

nobody is trading nobody.

midgetonadonkey
11-22-2005, 01:35 AM
Fuck yeah that would be a great trade for us. Nazr is probably gone after this season anyway so why not try and pick up a solid young wingman. We may have to give up a number 2 pick with this but getting a Deng type player for a second round pick and a guy that will probably leave anyway is good for the franchise.

Puppy Dog
11-22-2005, 02:02 AM
Pop should get RC to figure out how to lose Tony and Rasho and get Billups and Wallace. :tu

THEN, we talking dynasty. Jordan Bulls Style. :tu

snowboarder
11-22-2005, 02:13 AM
that would be pimp

SouthernFried
11-22-2005, 02:39 AM
Uh...I dunno what people are thinking.

We don't need more swing men, we need Centers...which is our weakest position on the court.

Nazr helped fill that void last year, and I think he'll help fill it again this year. If he goes, we gonna need someone as good, or better in that role. I can live with him and Rasho at that position right now, even tho it's still our weakest. I can't see weakening our weakest position even more by trading Nazr...unless there's some great center out there we can have take his place.

The Hustler
11-22-2005, 03:53 AM
^^^
I'll take the one on the far left. :tu

TDMVPDPOY
11-22-2005, 04:03 AM
we should trade nazr+finley (both from chicago right)+rashow to bulls for nacioni+deng

we get rid of two bigs, spurs go out and sign javko and ian mahinmi

team outlook
bigs - fabio/javko/duncan/mahinmi/horry
smalls - bowen/deng/nacioni/brent/gino
extrasmall - parker/udrih/nve

then try to pick a SG in draft of FA.

Bloodline666
11-22-2005, 05:50 AM
I think the Spurs should stay out of the trade market if they are serious about repeating as champs. They've already got themselves a good roster.

10-tka
11-22-2005, 06:24 AM
We should get rid of Parker, Oberto, Horry and Nazr for Ray Allen and Steve Francis.

exstatic
11-22-2005, 08:07 AM
We should get rid of Parker, Oberto, Horry and Nazr for Ray Allen and Steve Francis.
Four guys for two girls? Doesn't seem like a good trade at all....

MI21
11-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Luol Deng on this Spurs team would be ridiculous.

Never happen.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Well I guess we can always dream but I can't see a scenario where any team would be willing to give the defending champs a gem like Deng without asking for a whole hell of a lot.

ducks
11-22-2005, 10:17 AM
nazr and scola for him

wildbill2u
11-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Wow, wouldn't it be great if he'd sign a cheap contract for umpty ump years so we could trade him for a more talented player? YOWZA!

All this speculation on a trade to the Bulls is predicated on Nazr doing something dumb and against his interests.

Why would NAZR do a 'sign and trade' for less money than he'd get as a FA?

SenorSpur
11-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Wow, wouldn't it be great if he'd sign a cheap contract for umpty ump years so we could trade him for a more talented player? YOWZA!

All this speculation on a trade to the Bulls is predicated on Nazr doing something dumb and against his interests.

Why would NAZR do a 'sign and trade' for less money than he'd get as a FA?

Why would they? For the simple fact that the Spurs (or any other club for that matter) wouldn't be stupid enough to allow their own player to leave in FA without getting something in return.