PDA

View Full Version : Garnett seeking exit strategy

KEVIN78250
11-21-2005, 08:16 PM
WHERE DO YOU GUYS THINK HE WILL END UP IF HE IS TRADED.

HERES THE LINK http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-0511210258nov21,1,6283445.column?coll=cs-columnists

HERES THE ARTICLE IF YOU CAN'T GET IN
Sometimes I feel like I'm in that old British spy spoof TV series, "The Avengers," playing the dapper John Steed. I've been begging the Tribune to use a column picture with a bowler hat. The shows begin with a horrific event, like the Bulls' current road trip, and an appeal to Steed's partner, "Mrs. Peel, we're needed."

Yes, I gave the Bulls three weeks. Now it seems I may be needed.

And, no, Kevin Garnett isn't going to be my answer, even though it seems clear to everyone except Minnesota management that Garnett's condemnation of general manager Kevin McHale and upper management last week was a cry for help.

Garnett essentially accused McHale of trying to coach from his desk and being too lazy to complete the job. It's the harshest criticism one can make of a GM.

"I think Kevin McHale, in his heart, wanted to coach," Garnett said. "He wanted to coach, but he didn't want the responsibility of being a coach. He wanted to come in and say, `Hey, you two run pick-and-roll, you duck in on the weak side, you be ready to shoot.' He wanted to do that, but he didn't want to manage those guys. He didn't want to manage those egos."

Of course, Garnett also forgets how he said he'd never learned so much just a week into McHale's coaching stint last season after Flip Saunders' firing. Ah, but that was then.

The belief around the NBA is Garnett doesn't want to provoke one of those Shaquille O'Neal/Alonzo Mourning/Charles Barkley-type embarrassing public episodes, so he won't demand a trade. But he's hoping the Timberwolves will come to him and say they're looking to rebuild and ask where can they trade him to make him happy after all he's done for the franchise.

Garnett isn't going to want to come to a developing Bulls team--even if he can save airfare attending Farragut High reunions. I've suggested a Garnett-Dirk Nowitzki deal, but perhaps a better one would be with Indiana for Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley. The Pacers seem to miss Reggie Miller's quiet leadership.

As Austin Croshere said last week after a loss to the Hornets: "This team needs to step up and find some leadership. It's not coaching, it's effort and taking responsibility for what's happening on the court."

No names were mentioned, but insiders knew it was aimed at O'Neal, regarded as a bigger talker than worker. Without prompting, O'Neal answered the comments not specifically aimed at him.

"It's unfair for it to be said we need to step up and find leadership," O'Neal said. "I'm the one that's been calling guys in the summer, during the season, trying to keep guys motivated. We shouldn't be questioning the leadership. We should have been questioning why we got beat amongst each other."

Another option is that the Timberwolves could try to rebuild around Garnett. There would be a gentle irony in a trade with the Knicks for Stephon Marbury, who predictably has been at odds with Larry Brown. Marbury forced his way out of Minnesota after saying he couldn't play with Garnett knowing Garnett always would make more money. Wally Szczerbiak has been dying to return to his native New York. Add point guard Marko Jaric and the package would match up. This should occupy my time this season like trading Eddy Curry did last year.