PDA

View Full Version : Spurs on Austin TV

ad12
11-21-2005, 11:25 PM
hi all...

i just realized how many games won't be on Austin television (feels like a lot less than last year, or maybe i've become a complete junkie and need to watch every game), and am now pondering getting NBA league pass... however, the Washington game was blacked out on NBA TV even though they didn't show it on any local Austin station... so my question is: do they black out all the games in Austin on league pass? Past threads on this site have led me too believe they do...

(I have Grande cable, by the way, not Direct TV, if that makes a difference)

much thanks,
adam

blackbucket
11-21-2005, 11:59 PM
The probelm I had in El Paso was with Time Warner but may be the same with Rio Grande. If the TV guide showed that the game was being aired on a local channel (FSSW -Fox Sports SW), then they would block it out on league pass. The local FSSW would then proceed to show other programming regardless of what their schedule showed and thus, no Spurs! This would happen about 5 times a year.

It was aggravating as hell but at least I got to see the other 77 games. So, I think it is well worth purchasing.

Good luck!

ChumpDumper
11-22-2005, 12:56 AM
do they black out all the games in Austin on league pass? Past threads on this site have led me too believe they do...Yes.

Sports bar.

leemajors
11-22-2005, 01:15 AM
sirius radio, nba.com audio league pass, or if you are lucky enough you can catch 1200 AM WOAI in the right part of town. we get a good amount of games in austin, but for example tonight's game and the game on wed are not shown. on austin tw cable the washington game was said to be blacked out but was shown anyway, same thing with the phoenix game.

leemajors
11-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Yes.

Sports bar.

which one do you go to?

ChumpDumper
11-22-2005, 01:31 AM
I just go to Legends in the Holiday Inn at Mopac and 183 because it's close to my place, but their screens are old and the service seems to have gone downhill. Might try the Texas Sports Bar in the AMF Lanes on I-35 near Rundberg or try a new place elsewhere. It's best to call around and see who has the NBA packages

leemajors
11-22-2005, 01:39 AM
yeah i heard showplace totally remodeled the bar/restaurant area.

ChumpDumper
11-22-2005, 01:42 AM
I got a $50 GC from a client for Aussie's (http://www.aussiesbar.com/) on Barton Springs Road -- might go there Wednesday.

Vashner
11-22-2005, 01:45 AM
WOAI AM ... it's a good quality radio broadcast.

GoSpurs21
11-22-2005, 09:34 AM
If you live up in Round Rock or North Austin
Fast Eddies on 35 just south of 1325 has Dish Network (which does not black out NBA TV Spurs games)
Rhinos and Jocks on 35 just north of 79 has Time Warner League pass (so all games except NBA TV channel)
the only reason TW league pass works for businesses is they pay ~$1500 for the service so only NBATV Spurs broadcasts are blacked out.

SWC Bonfire
11-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Move to San Marcos where you get both Austin and San Antonio local channels.

GoSpurs21
11-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Move to San Marcos where you get both Austin and San Antonio local channels.buy my house for $250k and I will

SWC Bonfire
11-22-2005, 09:56 AM
The only home in Austin that crosses my mind is the t.u. frathouse on top of bonfire. :lol

GoSpurs21
11-22-2005, 10:10 AM
The only home in Austin that crosses my mind is the t.u. frathouse on top of bonfire. :lolI guess that means something to somebody

mrose31
11-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Luckily, I will be leaving austin wednesday to stay at my inlaws in Bulverde this holiday weekend and catch the GS game which I do not have available at my austin home. What really pisses me off though is that the WB will be showing old friends reruns or some other show nobody really watches any more when they could be showing the game. They took away Nbatv from me this year too and I said I would order it if the spurs games were not blacked out. They said they could not guarntee the games would be on so I said I could not guarntee I would still be a customer next year.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Yes.

Sports bar.

WTF

So even if an austinite paid good money on League Pass, he would still not see any spurs games?
Dude this is fucked up, i was planning on getting league pass soon..

GoSpurs21
11-22-2005, 12:47 PM
You can blaim the Spurs and the NBA for the 100 mi blackout on league pass.

Time Warner cable told me today that the Spurs organization pick which games they offer to Austin and other cable providers, so call the Spurs at 210 444 5697 and complain. TW also said that they would love to show more games as this is one of the higher call generators but that they are at the mercy of the Spurs.

Its funny that the Spurs FO is pretty good at most things but pathetic at marketing the Spurs just 90 mi north in a large fairly wealthy city.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-22-2005, 12:50 PM
dude thats fucking bull shit!!!!!
I will definitely call

God dammit

How does any of this make sense, what is the point of getting these channels if you STILL CANT watch games you can't see, thats the whole point of getting league pass to begin with???

so what about Dallas? If I got league pass in Dallas, would I not get spurs games either?

Cant_Be_Faded
11-22-2005, 12:55 PM
I don't understand how it pays off a business to keep its product away from potential consumers

GoSpurs21
11-22-2005, 01:36 PM
dude thats fucking bull shit!!!!!
I will definitely call

God dammit

How does any of this make sense, what is the point of getting these channels if you STILL CANT watch games you can't see, thats the whole point of getting league pass to begin with???

so what about Dallas? If I got league pass in Dallas, would I not get spurs games either?actually you will get all Dallas and Houston games plus all other non Spurs games.

but just image you own a sports bar and pay thousands a year for Astros and Spurs games only to have some of them blacked out cause of stupid ML and NBA rules.

austinfan
11-22-2005, 01:41 PM
or if you are lucky enough you can catch 1200 AM WOAI in the right part of town

Do you know which part of Austin gets better reception? I'm assuming South Austin, since WOAI is a San Antonio station, right? I'm wondering how far south you need to be to get a decent signal.

ChumpDumper
11-22-2005, 01:50 PM
I get WOAI in north Austin all the time. You can usually catch games on 1260 in Austin.

SWC Bonfire
11-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Do you know which part of Austin gets better reception? I'm assuming South Austin, since WOAI is a San Antonio station, right? I'm wondering how far south you need to be to get a decent signal.

I used to listen to WOAI and KKYX in Fort Worth. Just stay away from power lines/transformers and you'll be fine.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-22-2005, 03:49 PM
actually you will get all Dallas and Houston games plus all other non Spurs games.

but just image you own a sports bar and pay thousands a year for Astros and Spurs games only to have some of them blacked out cause of stupid ML and NBA rules.

So if I order "league pass" the thing that's supposed to get me every single NBA game every night, it still won't show me Spurs games if I'm not in the San Antonio area???

ChumpDumper
11-22-2005, 03:59 PM
So if I order "league pass" the thing that's supposed to get me every single NBA game every night, it still won't show me Spurs games if I'm not in the San Antonio area???"Blackout rules apply."

You'd get them in Dallas, but not Austin.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-22-2005, 04:02 PM
hey chump, i went to legends once. its a good place. good burgers. I bet you were probably there, it was a non televised game.

ChumpDumper
11-22-2005, 04:05 PM
They have a new plasma screen we were watching while MNF was on the big screens. Looks like they have some new projectors too, but I didn't recognize any staff from last season and they overcooked the crap out of one of our dishes this time. I'm sure I'll try them again at least once this season.

mrose31
11-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Yeah I drove up all the way to Oklahoma City and got a good reception of WOAI almost the whole way listening to spurs game. I thought that their is no way I could here it that far away. Then a friend of mine at work told me he was able to listen to it from parts of Louisiana too.

blackbucket
11-22-2005, 04:27 PM
After seven o'clock I believe, it becomes a 50,000 watt clear channel which can be heard in parts of 32 states. I think there are 8 or 9 clear channels across the country.

leemajors
11-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Luckily, I will be leaving austin wednesday to stay at my inlaws in Bulverde this holiday weekend and catch the GS game which I do not have available at my austin home. What really pisses me off though is that the WB will be showing old friends reruns or some other show nobody really watches any more when they could be showing the game. They took away Nbatv from me this year too and I said I would order it if the spurs games were not blacked out. They said they could not guarntee the games would be on so I said I could not guarntee I would still be a customer next year.

i got the sports pack for tw austin and they worked it somehow where i got a discount for having a few packages(movie pack too, encore, action, ifc, etc). somehow i got my cable bill lower than before i added the sports pack. nba tv is nice to have if you like the nba in general, they show 3-5 games a week.

leemajors
11-22-2005, 06:38 PM
I don't understand how it pays off a business to keep its product away from potential consumers

ask the nfl, who sells out to directv. only 30% of americans have a dish, yet it is the only way to get the nfl league pass. and the nfl is by far and away the most popular sport product. time warner does have some dinky nfl package now where you can pick one extra game a week to watch, but it's still like $100. ripoff.

leemajors
11-22-2005, 06:42 PM
I got a $50 GC from a client for Aussie's (http://www.aussiesbar.com/) on Barton Springs Road -- might go there Wednesday.

i wish i could get out to a sports bar every once in a while, but it's kinda tough. my fiancee is a manager at the drafthouse village and works mostly nights. luckily our 9 month old daughter loves listening to/watching basketball.

phyzik
11-22-2005, 07:01 PM
I probably shouldnt say for fear of getting mauled but I just started a new job at Time Warner Cable. I could ask around and find out the real reason why they are blocked out, more then likely its because Spurs want to actually sell tickets (remember how often they say how hard it is to sell tickets in SA and surrounding areas, this is one thing that helps them) and yes, Ginobili is still a customer (its not just a commercial), I have the ability to see what Manu watches but of course cant publically release that info for privacy reasons =p.

ChumpDumper
11-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Congrats -- I'd apply just for the free cable.

leemajors
11-22-2005, 07:03 PM
selling tickets is one thing, but getting to san antonio from austin on 35 after working a 8-5 or 9-5 in under 2.5 hours is another =/

phyzik
11-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Congrats -- I'd apply just for the free cable.

thanks, the free cable is sweet, as well as the free roadrunner and only pay $19.95 a month for digital phone.