PDA

View Full Version : Report: Team USA players grumbling about ‘San Antonio offense’

ducks
07-26-2021, 12:13 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-team-usa-players-grumbling-151415911.html

Dex
07-26-2021, 12:34 PM
I will say that this drive and kick scheme that we've been using the last few years doesn't seem to be working.

You have guys turning down wide-open threes to pump-fake and drive, and guys with lanes for a lay-up throwing the ball back out to a three-point shooter. Rinse and repeat.

I understand the concept of breaking down the defense, but when the hell are players supposed to look for their shot?

The Truth #6
07-26-2021, 12:47 PM
Maybe the players are just used to freelancing, which is a problem on a team where everyone is used to being the alpha. Maybe I’m not giving them enough credit. I doubt it, but maybe.

Russ
07-26-2021, 12:48 PM
To be devil's advocate, the US team is being beaten by teams running a "San Antonio offense" -- more passing, teamwork.

Ono-on-one by our superior players works in the NBA, where tight refereeing allows that approach. International refs just let 'em play and our guys can't score as easily against that defense.

Mr. Body
07-26-2021, 12:53 PM
It's because the players are used to just dribbling and shooting whenever they want. The bigger problem is they're weak and getting bumped off their positions. In the NBA, they are used to no defense allowed. FIBA isn't that way.

Maybe just let Durant and Lillard shoot every shot and if they don't get in a rhythm, they lose. Learning sets or moving the ball won't work without prep.

TheGreatYacht
07-26-2021, 12:56 PM
Not surprised. This ain't the 90's. The system is holding them back like it did to Duncan his entire career and Kawhi for 90% of his time here :lmao

Dex
07-26-2021, 01:10 PM
It's because the players are used to just dribbling and shooting whenever they want. The bigger problem is they're weak and getting bumped off their positions. In the NBA, they are used to no defense allowed. FIBA isn't that way.

Maybe just let Durant and Lillard shoot every shot and if they don't get in a rhythm, they lose. Learning sets or moving the ball won't work without prep.

I mean...that's kinda how US lost against France. Lillard and Durant combined for 22 of the team's 69 attempts (even though Durant played limited minutes)...and shot 32%. Jrue Holiday actually put up the most attempts, but was also the only one of the few players actually generating offense and getting easy shots at the rim instead of taking contested jumpers.

Who knows...maybe they both just had bad days and will pull it together, but the US can't afford any more cold shooting nights from their star players.

ducks
07-26-2021, 01:15 PM
This is why bringing in the team that wins the title (college )or a playoff team in NBA is Better then then crap they are doing
Oh get a more modem coach not a dumbshit

Rummpd
07-26-2021, 01:26 PM
Luka outscored Durant Dame and Booker by himself in first game with 48. Maybe some of this has to fall on Diva Durant as well.

Budkin
07-26-2021, 02:01 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-team-usa-players-grumbling-151415911.html

I'll be the first to admit I want Pop to retire, but these losses really have nothing to do with him. These MFers have NO chemistry together, and the teams we are playing have it in spades. As others have said, they just want to play playground style ball out there, and that's not gonna cut it.

TDomination
07-26-2021, 02:06 PM
USA had more assists, more blocks, more steals, less turnovers than France. But when your best shooters combine for 8-28 (28%) you're going to struggle.

I didn't watch the game so i'm wondering if most of those misses were contested? Is the offensive playbook not creating open looks for the players?

I think Pops offense has been fine but his in game coaching has not been so great. Making adjustments, pulling players, sticking with the hot hand etc.

John B
07-26-2021, 02:12 PM
This is why bringing in the team that wins the title (college )or a playoff team in NBA is Better then then crap they are doing

Do you really think a College Team can guard Gorbert down low?

Play Boban
07-26-2021, 02:41 PM
The gringos are a bunch of pussies. Weak ass divas who can’t play against real defense when not protected by their precious refs. Today’s NBA is TRASH. I might give up on watching the nba and just watch Euroleague.

Proxy
07-26-2021, 03:22 PM
so the players know the right brand of basketball to play but their egos are unwilling to participate. Theoretically, a 2014 spurs with a madden rating of a jillion. Would rather flop around the perimeter in iso tho, but Silver isn't in charge of these refs. 'murica

Chomag
07-26-2021, 03:27 PM
Right or wrong, it Looks like Pop has already lost the team.

I do agree though that these NBA players today don't know how to play real basketball anymore and it shows.

I remember those days when it was FIBA that was considered softer one .My ! how the tides have turned thanks to Silver's woke NBA

Proxy
07-26-2021, 03:36 PM
no daddy lebron or kobe to lead by example. Maybe Draymond lost his mojo being on sucky teams the past few seasons

RC_Drunkford
07-26-2021, 03:53 PM
Pussyass NBA Players being coached by an old grandpa who the game passed by. I wouldn’t be surprised if they lose against Iran with him coaching

TheGreatYacht
07-26-2021, 03:57 PM
Pussyass NBA Players being coached by an old grandpa who the game passed by. I wouldn’t be surprised if they lose against Iran with him coaching
Iran, Kazakhstan, Trinidad & Tobago, etc don't matter... PATFO fluffers will still say Pop just didn't have enough talent on his team :lol

exstatic
07-26-2021, 03:59 PM
Right or wrong, it Looks like Pop has already lost the team.

I do agree though that these NBA players today don't know how to play real basketball anymore and it shows.

I remember those days when it was FIBA that was considered softer one .My ! how the tides have turned thanks to Silver's woke NBA

Uh, no. Stern started this shit long ago.

exstatic
07-26-2021, 04:04 PM
Iran, Kazakhstan, Trinidad & Tobago, etc don't matter... PATFO fluffers will still say Pop just didn't have enough talent on his team :lol

This IS the worst team since 2004. If you rate them on a 100 scale, 2008, 2012, and 2016 were all in the 90s. This team is high 70s, maybe low 80s.

Pop bashers love to say that he had nothing to do with 5, it was all player talent, yet refuse to see the dearth of talent on this team.

Leetonidas
07-26-2021, 04:08 PM
While I agree Pops coaching is pretty meh these days, it ain't his fault a bunch of all star players are tossing up bricks out there. It ain't his fault these dudes are so used to pampered officiating that they can't play as well when the officials don't give a shit about the name on their back.

Chomag
07-26-2021, 04:12 PM
Uh, no. Stern started this shit long ago. True, no doubt I'm sure Stern started the decline but Silver has definitely put the decline in turbo mode.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-26-2021, 04:15 PM
Of course the prima donna's on this team will blame the offense, the coaches, anyone but themselves. You've got Kevin Durant who had to bolt from a team where he couldn't win with Harden and Westbrook, and Lillard who's probably going to be a championship o-fer in his career. These guys have been missing more open looks than a college team. Maybe Middleton and Holiday can help when they get past their jet lag.

widowmaker
07-26-2021, 04:20 PM
Players complaining about playing in the Spurs offense doesn’t bode well for possible free agents.

itzsoweezee
07-26-2021, 04:30 PM
This IS the worst team since 2004. If you rate them on a 100 scale, 2008, 2012, and 2016 were all in the 90s. This team is high 70s, maybe low 80s.

Pop bashers love to say that he had nothing to do with 5, it was all player talent, yet refuse to see the dearth of talent on this team.

It’s still the most talented team in the Olympics by a huge margin

SpurSpike
07-26-2021, 04:42 PM
I blame the poor performance of a team full of stars on the NBA tbh.

The NBA has made a soft league where stars are treated to a different set of rules than the average player. They aren't getting that special treatment in the Olympics! Perhaps these stars aren't as good as the NBA has made them seem?!? Funny how when everyone has to play by the same rules these stars cant beat average players...

exstatic
07-26-2021, 04:55 PM
It’s still the most talented team in the Olympics by a huge margin

NBA talent, but they’re mentally soft. Can’t stand physical contact. No leaders. Not one.

eric365
07-26-2021, 05:29 PM

interesting idea, in the playoff teams there is the suns or the clippers with US stars only
A team with chemistry but less talent would probably perform better I think

But no way a owner would let his whole team playing in the summer while others rest

Down Under
07-26-2021, 06:10 PM
This is the reporter who asked JaVale McGee if his Mum was still alive :lmao

playblair
07-26-2021, 09:14 PM
popovich just use the coach k strategy of letting the usa players freelance no need to make them run plays stop being stubborn

Kawhitstorm
07-26-2021, 10:00 PM
Not surprised. This ain't the 90's. The system is holding them back like it did to Duncan his entire career and Kawhi for 90% of his time here :lmao

Got his skirt pulled in Gm 1 of the '17 WCF when neither one of those guys were available & that was the end of his chapter. Uncle Dennis was right all along....

ducks
07-26-2021, 10:17 PM
Do you really think a College Team can guard Gorbert down low?

They will have chemistry

John B
07-26-2021, 10:57 PM
They will have chemistry

But the international talent have closed the gap. For example, there were 5 NBA players in that French team. I doubt a College Team could take France, likewise Australia with 6 or Nigeria with 8 NBA players, etc., only Iran without. I doubt Baylor Bears can take Nigeria :lol

The Truth #6
07-26-2021, 11:31 PM
The previous teams needed mega alpha Kobe for the team to rally behind iirc. I think they barely beat Spain with Rubio and Kobe led them, I think. In other words, even those teams had a pecking order. This team doesn’t. Add in the star treatment in the NBA by the refs, the FIBA style of reffing (calling the game fairly), combined with a slapped together roster. We should still be doing better, but the NBA has morphed into such bullshit, this is sadly refreshing to see in a weird way. Unfortunately, Pop will be the fall guy. Unfortunately, this could motivate him not to quit the Spurs. We’ll see.

tim_duncan_fan
07-26-2021, 11:45 PM
Pop is done.
NBA players have been ruined by shitty rules designed to limit the defense and make point total go brrrrrrr.

Both of these things can be and are true.

The next domino to fall will be someone finally telling Pop that he isn't good enough at the game anymore to be rude to reporters.

KobesAchilles
07-27-2021, 12:09 PM
They are also grumbling about making wide ass open shots and not turning the ball over. I don’t mind bashing the old man but his system got them like 8 open looks and the players choked their asses off. I don’t remember Pops system saying to dribble the ball off your fucking foot :lol

lefty
07-27-2021, 01:32 PM
I blame the poor performance of a team full of stars on the NBA tbh.

The NBA has made a soft league where stars are treated to a different set of rules than the average player. They aren't getting that special treatment in the Olympics! Perhaps these stars aren't as good as the NBA has made them seem?!? Funny how when everyone has to play by the same rules these stars cant beat average players...

Good point

Jordan was treated to a different set of rules, that explains why he was bad during the 92 Olympics tbh

Ice009
07-29-2021, 07:49 AM
Good point

Jordan was treated to a different set of rules, that explains why he was bad during the 92 Olympics tbh

Was Jordan not good during the '92 Olympics? I assumed he would have played well. Did he actually struggle?

The Truth #6
07-29-2021, 07:58 AM
Great performance against Iran. I’m guessing no one in the media will write about this, being less interesting than trashing Pop (whom I do want to retire after the Olympics). What I saw showed teamwork and the ball was really moving around the court.

R. DeMurre
07-29-2021, 10:40 AM
European teams and others don't yet have the depth of talent that the NBA & USA have, but in terms top talent they are closing in for sure. Think of what an All Euro team would look like: Giannis, Doncic, & Jokic, with Gobert off the bench... yikes... That team competes with any team on the planet, and consider this: Slovenia has a population of about 2 million. Serbia has about 7 million, and Greece has about 11 million. So those three countries combined have about the same size of folks to draw from as Florida by itself. The fact that Slovenia, whose population is smaller than Houston's, is even in contention for an Olympic medal is an incredible story in & of itself.

duncan2k5
07-29-2021, 11:17 AM
They would blow teams out if they just go out there and play... But Pop is stubborn and wants to prove a point... So they need to do it HIS way so it looks like he coached them to victory as opposed to their talent carrying him like Duncan did