PDA

View Full Version : 2021 NBA Draft Big Board for the San Antonio Spurs - Top 60 Prospects

timvp
07-27-2021, 02:35 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antonio-spurs-big-board-2021-nba-draft-top-60-players/

I'm not thrilled with the talent that will probably be in the late lottery but I'm hopeful someone interesting will drop.

bluebellmaniac
07-27-2021, 02:37 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antonio-spurs-big-board-2021-nba-draft-top-60-players/

I'm not thrilled with the talent that will probably be in the late lottery but I'm hopeful someone interesting will drop.

Such complete trash. Never seem such a steaming pile! ... ;-)

timvp
07-27-2021, 02:42 PM
Such complete trash. Never seem such a steaming pile! ... ;-)

:bobo

JeffDuncan
07-27-2021, 02:51 PM
Excellent summary, good job. I’m only hoping the Spurs will get a player who doesn’t need three years of development and a miracle to become a good shooter.

DPG21920
07-27-2021, 02:59 PM
Won’t be popular but if SA can’t move up they may be better served to trade back or out…and if they dont trade up or back? They need to start swinging for fences and be more flexible on “character”.

Ziaire and Jalen I’m looking at you.

Dream world would be Mobley, Green or Kuminga in a move up though.

cd98
07-27-2021, 03:01 PM
Won’t be popular but if SA can’t move up they may be better served to trade back or out…

They had a great chance to move up, but they felt the it was better to lose the play-in game. If there were players they wanted in the top of the lottery, they should have lost more games.

DPG21920
07-27-2021, 03:01 PM
They had a great chance to move up, but they felt the it was better to lose the play-in game. If there were players they wanted in the top of the lottery, they should have lost more games.

Do not disagree at all…

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-27-2021, 03:02 PM
Was so happy seeing this thread, didn't expect it.

If I remember correctly you weren't too high on Wagner and Sengun , I wonder what has changed for you after scouting them more?

Also surprised at how low Joel Ayayi is, I think he could be the rare type of 2nd round pick who has a clear path to a NBA career as an 7th/8th man.

Solid list though. I still love Moody, he's on top of my list from the realistically obtainable dudes. Bouknight and Jalen Johnson I like as well. I'm in no position to get information about their red flags , but I assume the Spurs of all teams would have done their due diligence. Sengun or Wagner would be great value at 12. If the consensus top 6 and these 5 are all gone by the time the Spurs pick I'd look to trade down or perhaps just shoot for the stars with either Zaire Williams or Keon Johnson.

I'm not as high on Giddey because I think the combination of poor shooting, poor defense and poor athleticism is frightening. Can't think of any NBA player with similar weaknesses who's doing well.

Love Garuba though. Sure, maybe not for the current Spurs but he's a better player than given credit for, even offensively, he has a good feel for the game, can see the floor, pass and has shown improvement with his shooting. Certainly a much better shooting form than Giddey's :lol

Think a dark horse target at 12 could be Cam Thomas.

As for possible trades, I really like Sacramento's 9 and Delon Wright for 12. Gives them some room to keep Holmes, helps the Spurs jump over Memphis and Wright isn't a bad player too.

look_at_g_shred
07-27-2021, 03:02 PM
Won’t be popular but if SA can’t move up they may be better served to trade back or out…and if they dont trade up or back? They need to start swinging for fences and be more flexible on “character”.

Ziaire and Jalen I’m looking at you.
I wonder if OKC would be interested in trading 16 & 18 for 12. I'd be a fan of that.

ducks
07-27-2021, 03:07 PM
Package someone with the picks and move up !

DPG21920
07-27-2021, 03:08 PM
I wonder if OKC would be interested in trading 16 & 18 for 12. I'd be a fan of that.

Absolutely - that’s a no brainer. I dont know that OKC would do that though, but if SA doesn’t get someone they really love falling unexpectedly then for sure.

Russ
07-27-2021, 03:09 PM
:bobo

(You even managed to get my 2d round favorite Juhann Begarin into the list -- barely.)

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-27-2021, 03:13 PM
It feels like a draft where you could get screwed at the 12 pick, and might do just as well trading down and trying to draft a couple of guys late in the first round.

dbestpro
07-27-2021, 03:13 PM
Good analysis. Well done.

timvp
07-27-2021, 03:14 PM
If I remember correctly you weren't too high on Wagner and Sengun , I wonder what has changed for you after scouting them more?

Tbh, I still not super high on either one -- it's just that this draft has a strong 1 through 6 and a strong 14 through ~35 but is pretty weak 7 thru 13 unfortunately. It's like there's a tier missing in this draft class :lol

I see Wagner as the fourth best player on a good team and Sengun as someone whose most likely outcome is being a highly productive player who doesn't impact winning ... not great options but that's what this draft has to offer in the late lottery. That said, Wagner appears to be a good building block that fits on any type of team and Sengun could theoretically figure out how not to be a negative on defense.

Mr. Body
07-27-2021, 03:21 PM
Tbh, I still not super high on either one -- it's just that this draft has a strong 1 through 6 and a strong 14 through ~35 but is pretty weak 7 thru 13 unfortunately. It's like there's a tier missing in this draft class :lol

I see Wagner as the fourth best player on a good team and Sengun as someone whose most likely outcome is being a highly productive player who doesn't impact winning ... not great options but that's what this draft has to offer in the late lottery. That said, Wagner appears to be a good building block that fits on any type of team and Sengun could theoretically figure out how not to be a negative on defense.

You're buying into a lot of hype in some of the top 6 guys.

timvp
07-27-2021, 03:35 PM
You're buying into a lot of hype in some of the top 6 guys.

Eh, I really like the top 4. Kuminga and Barnes at 5/6 is pretty decent. But the talent drop from there is gigantic ... and then it stays flat for at least 15 picks.

Russ
07-27-2021, 03:41 PM
Eh, I really like the top 4. Kuminga and Barnes at 5/6 is pretty decent. But the talent drop from there is gigantic ... and then it stays flat for at least 15 picks.

And yet everyone says this a great, transformational draft (at least compared to recent years).

It must be depth, but depth traditionally doesn't add up to much when things finally shake out a few years down the line.

Mr. Body
07-27-2021, 03:46 PM

'Gigantic'? No, there you go again. I don't know if there's a single franchise player in the top 5 or 6. Kuminga is wildly overrated. I'd trade out of the top spot if I was looking at Cade Cunningham. Just... don't know what you're talking about.

SAGirl
07-27-2021, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the scouting and time. :bobo

Dejounte
07-27-2021, 03:53 PM
Finally came around on Wagner, I see

looks very similar to my BB! Kudos

timvp
07-27-2021, 04:03 PM
I'd trade out of the top spot if I was looking at Cade Cunningham.

Just... don't know what you're talking about.

SAGirl
07-27-2021, 04:06 PM
Cade is a weak candidate as a franchise player. He's not without his red flags in that area. I haven't scouted him much bc he isn't coming to the Spurs so I don't care about him but I've seen questions about his efficiency or lack thereof and how he's struggles at times getting to the rim or finishing there, plus getting separation. He's not without risk specially bc the standard laid on him is that of a franchise player.

There could be others that are better than him, which wouldn't be surprising but I am not a scout to say who.

Mr. Body
07-27-2021, 04:14 PM
Lol at Cunningham. I guess people really buy whatever ESPN is selling. Did you watch him play this year? Didn't you see his deficiencies? He reminds me of Ben Simmons in many ways, a lazy, disinterested player who failed to make his team as good as some other players could. LSU sucked with Simmons and it's no surprise he hasn't gotten any better. OK State was better, but, man... Cunningham has warts all over the place. Limited physical tools, bad assist-to-turnover ratio, questionable decision making, an inability to separate himself to get better shots. Inconsistent and inattentive effort on defense.

He can be a good player, to be sure, but pegging him as absolutely the #1 player and sure-fire franchise guy is absolute LULZ.

Marco
07-27-2021, 04:19 PM
Glad to see you are quite high on Butler. He's one of my very favorites. He could very well be the best available at 12.

Leetonidas
07-27-2021, 04:29 PM
The Spurs are still elite at drafting, so i have no doubts that whoever they pick at 12 will be a solid contributor for years to come. and i really hope it's someone 6'8" at the least

ducks
07-27-2021, 04:46 PM
ESPN is to liberal to know anything

Leetonidas
07-27-2021, 04:50 PM

sToP mAkiNg EvErYtHinG aBoUt PoLitIcS

Dummy

R. DeMurre
07-27-2021, 04:55 PM
Jason Preston is similar to Derrick White (including the late growth spurt) but with subpar athleticism.

I was just looking at Preston's combine results yesterday, and they seem pretty comparable to White's:

Standing Vertical/ Maximum Vertical
White: 31"/36.5"
Preston: 30.5"/ 38.5"

Lane Agility
White: 10.84
Preston: 10.82

Shuttle run
White: 2.92
Preston: 3.08

Three-quarter sprint
White: 3.08
Preston: 3.13

Watching videos on him before looking at these numbers, I got the same impression. I think the baby face coupled with the Sideshow Bob haircut might be a little deceptive. :lol

BacktoBasics
07-27-2021, 05:13 PM

Everyone here is fucking sick and tired of you. You hate liberals but you insert political bullshit more than anyone here. You’re literally worse than the people you can’t tolerate. Get a clue asshole.

R. DeMurre
07-27-2021, 05:14 PM
Calling Wagner the 4th best player on a good team is perfect imo... maybe a hair below Andrei Kirilenko & Andre Iguodala, but above Pat Connaughton or Jae Crowder.

Mr. Body
07-27-2021, 05:24 PM
Fritz Wagner is the rug that ties the room together.

LaMarcus Bryant
07-27-2021, 05:38 PM
100% gave the reason why we should draft Jericho Sims. He is the prototype big for today's game and can guard the perimeter. He also got Spurs personality and has busted his ass to get better every year. Several people made a living off that shit. With the way the game is called, bigs don't really gotta do much to be good.

How many talentless lanky, fast, mobile big men have carved a solid nba role since GSW fucked the nba game?

PhantomDashCam
07-27-2021, 06:39 PM
Appreciate the insight timvp. :tu

I feel like Ziaire Williams and Jalen Johnson are the two riskiest, lottery potential picks that fall to the Spurs.

Admittedly, my draft process is far from infallible. I tend to heavily weight prospect interviews and it can often sway my choice in prospect infatuation.
That being said, I have been genuinely unimpressed with their interviews/analysis at any stage of the draft process or college season.

If we're taking a big swing on Upside, I would rather shoot for the stratosphere and draft Kai Jones.

Fair or not, there are no concerns of heart or character (Jalen Johnson), or on toughness/ ability to put on weight (Ziaire Williams), and whose less desirable outcomes at least offers some form of contribution at the next level (energy, rim running big).

I'm not sure I can even envision what their floors entail.
Spot Shooting for Ziaire? Tertiary play-making from Jalen?

Uriel
07-27-2021, 07:09 PM
Finally. Been looking forward to this for weeks.

SAGirl
07-27-2021, 07:57 PM
Really interesting draft ranking. https://deanondraft.com/2021/06/22/2021-draft-lottery-guide/This guy is very interesting in his takes as he is independent from the espn, overhypes machine.

Mobley is the best prospect in his opinion. I do think the teams that wanted to trade up have him in mind.

His opinion on Giddey is one of the most honest I have seen. Possibly the best passer of all time for his position but big warts that make his bust potential real. The player most like him, a Lonzo Ball without the defense. However there’s a chance he notes, grounded mostly on how good he is as a passer and how young still that he’s something special. He’s interesting and wherever he lands I think I’ll watch him to see how he does.

lmbebo
07-27-2021, 08:32 PM
Read somewhere that Wagner was closer to 6'11"... would that change his position?

Prime BEEF
07-27-2021, 09:23 PM
It feels like a draft where you could get screwed at the 12 pick, and might do just as well trading down and trying to draft a couple of guys late in the first round.
Agreed

BackHome
07-27-2021, 09:37 PM
I have a bad feeling that I am going to like our second pick better then our first pick - I hope I am wrong

SAGirl
07-27-2021, 09:45 PM
I have a bad feeling that I am going to like our second pick better then our first pick - I hope I am wrong
It wouldn’t be different than Keldon Johnson being better than Samanic who was taken higher…

timvp
07-27-2021, 10:29 PM
This guy is very interesting in his takes as he is independent from the espn, overhypes machine.

His opinion on Giddey is one of the most honest I have seen. Possibly the best passer of all time for his position

Mr. Body
07-27-2021, 10:45 PM
So only you're allowed to exaggerate? :lol

rastaspur
07-27-2021, 10:58 PM
I'd prefer they trade twelve for two picks on the back end of the first. I'd be fine with drafting Zaire William's and Joshua primo.

Primo is an uber athlete with all the tools. The spurs could develop him into something special. He flew under the radar this year at alabama in his bench role. His ceiling is star potential and floor is a solid role player.

Chinook
07-27-2021, 11:17 PM
To hell with any idea of trading 12 for picks in the 20s. The Spurs have enough C-tier young guys anyway. If they aren't happy with the quality at the end of the lottery, trade up. If they don't want to do that, pick up future picks by trading down. There's no reasonable argument for why the Spurs should come out of the draft with more than two rookies at this point. I'm perfectly fine with the Spurs not tanking, but it has to come with them being realistic about their roster and being willing to upgrade it. Even the Pacers, who are the treadmilliest of treadmill teams, seem to always be willing to make trades to improve their club.

Spursfanfromafar
07-27-2021, 11:49 PM
The more I look or read about Sengun, the more I feel that he has a very high floor. The worst Sengun can be is an Enes Kanter. And Kanter despite being a complete liability in the defensive end has been a productive NBA player. The closest comp for Sengun for me is Luis Scola and the Argentine captain has had a long productive career.

What separates Sengun from these comps is his age and the fact that he dominated a decent league at 18. Which is why I think he can top out at least like a Vucevic or Sabonis in the right system and improvement. Can't see why Spurs won't pick him if Moody is already gone. Between him and Giddey, I will pick Sengun.

R. DeMurre
07-28-2021, 12:09 AM
I'm betting Golden State takes Wagner at #7 and Kispert at #14. Unless the Spurs nab Kispert at 12. Least glamorous but most likely pick?

I have a feeling Memphis will go with Bouknight. Dillon Brooks was successful in the playoffs and I'm guessing Memphis will think the all out relentless attack of Morant + Brooks + Bouknight can potentially be overwhelming to opposing defenses who are trying so hard to key on Morant.

Jason Preston to Milwaukee at #31: their Derrick White. Perfect place for him.

Sacramento had the worst defense in the NBA last year, so if they lose Richaun Holmes (arguably their best defender) and draft Sengun, it could get really ugly. But they are Sacramento, so I wouldn't put it past them. I like Sengun, but Sacramento is the worst place for him to land.

PhantomDashCam
07-28-2021, 03:06 AM
R. Demurre

https://youtu.be/EL8WJFXtzdk

EricB
07-28-2021, 03:40 AM
Vehemently disagree on Sengun and Ziaire Williams.

kobyz
07-28-2021, 05:42 AM
I hope we draft Giddy and trade Murray

John B
07-28-2021, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the write-up Timvp. I will take your unbiased assessment than any of these posers :lol

It’s Duarte, Jalen Johnson, Moses Moody, Alperen Sengun and Franz Wagner for me.

I’d prioritize Duarte because he is a positional need. He has advanced Hardenesque step-back, side-step shots, smooth Klay jumpshots. He is so ready as Spurs starting SG if the game starts today. The rest I’ll figure out if I coukd get another pick from a Demar S&T.

Drom John
07-28-2021, 09:44 AM
Fritz Wagner is the rug that ties the room together.

Dude, Sengun pisses on that rug.

R. DeMurre
07-28-2021, 10:04 AM
Dude, Sengun pisses on that rug.

:lol Is that good or bad?

John B
07-29-2021, 11:01 PM
timvp you got Primo at #25 and Wieskamp at #37. Not bad.

timvp
07-29-2021, 11:10 PM
timvp you got Primo at #25 and Wieskamp at #37. Not bad.

Yeah, I had both of them higher than most. Primo was late 20s or 30s. ESPN had Wieskamp in the 50s. Wieskamp was an obvious possibility because he was great at the combine and the Spurs value that highly. Primo ..... yeah, I can't pretend I thought he could ever go 12.

I guess after a few non-surprising drafts in a row, the Spurs were due for a curveball in Primo :lol

Kurik
07-29-2021, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I had both of them higher than most. Primo was late 20s or 30s. ESPN had Wieskamp in the 50s. Wieskamp was an obvious possibility because he was great at the combine and the Spurs value that highly. Primo ..... yeah, I can't pretend I thought he could ever go 12.

I guess after a few non-surprising drafts in a row, the Spurs were due for a curveball in Primo :lol

And here we thought Jalen Johnson would be the curveball.

rastaspur
10-13-2021, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the write-up Timvp. I will take your unbiased assessment than any of these posers :lol

It’s Duarte, Jalen Johnson, Moses Moody, Alperen Sengun and Franz Wagner for me.

I’d prioritize Duarte because he is a positional need. He has advanced Hardenesque step-back, side-step shots, smooth Klay jumpshots. He is so ready as Spurs starting SG if the game starts today. The rest I’ll figure out if I coukd get another pick from a Demar S&T.

:lol:lol
I'm the only poser to suggest we draft primo. And I've been spot on with my assessment/evaluation.

:smokin

raybies
10-13-2021, 11:57 PM
:lol:lol
I'm the only poser to suggest we draft primo. And I've been spot on with my assessment/evaluation.

:smokin
Aye I'll smoke to that bro...

exstatic
10-14-2021, 11:15 AM
And here we thought Jalen Johnson would be the curveball.

After Nephew and Luka, the Spurs were never going to draft a guy with both a meddling family and obvious character red flags/quitter energy.