PDA

View Full Version : The move to Austin is looking more apparent

Dejounte
07-27-2021, 05:50 PM
CR1jgyVr00g

In another post, it says “Spurs fam, RSVP to one of our watch parties in San Antonio or Austin at the link in our bio!”

slick'81
07-27-2021, 05:56 PM
Bye bye san antonio :cry

vy65
07-27-2021, 06:07 PM
can't happen soon enough

Chinook
07-27-2021, 06:12 PM
The Spurs should (and already do) fervently court Austin money and fans to solidify the team's claim on the city. That doesn't mean SA is going to lose the Spurs, though. The team needs both cities to get enough market share. Simply moving and being the Austin Spurs won't change anything.

K...
07-27-2021, 06:18 PM
San antonio has way way cheaper land than austin. YOU CANNOT BUILD AN ARENA IN TRAVIS COUNTY THE SOCCER CLUB ALREADY TRIED AND HAD TO TAKE THE 5TH SPOT ON THEIR LIST. The prospect of moving to Austin decreases substantially you realize it'll be in cedar park or Buda. .

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-27-2021, 07:06 PM
If the Spurs move I don’t think it would be to Austin. That’s kinda a lateral move in my opinion.

Austin Spurs fans, like myself take the short drive down to watch them play. If they leave San Antonio for Austin they will lose a good portion of their fan base and all the casual military folks that watch them.

Austin is a cool city but a good portion of the folks who live here don’t care about basketball like that due to all the other stuff to do here from my little knowledge. Where as the folks in San Antonio love the team

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-27-2021, 07:07 PM
San antonio has way way cheaper land than austin. YOU CANNOT BUILD AN ARENA IN TRAVIS COUNTY THE SOCCER CLUB ALREADY TRIED AND HAD TO TAKE THE 5TH SPOT ON THEIR LIST. The prospect of moving to Austin decreases substantially you realize it'll be in cedar park or Buda. .

That’s super true.

prices are sky rocketing. I’ve been thinking of moving to San Antonio because it’s cheaper

playblair
07-27-2021, 07:08 PM
shouldve happened years ago...........holt kids know how boring san antonio is..........austin gets 20k a game for pro soccer...........austin will sell out the spurs arena no more empty seats

Dejounte
07-27-2021, 07:17 PM
Getting that Austin money while helping develop San Antonio as a city. Smart plan.

Russ
07-27-2021, 07:18 PM
Austin already stole San Antonio's MLS franchise -- why not the Spurs?

But seriously, Austin is the only place the Spurs could move where I would still enthusiastically support them.

I grew up in both those towns.

Twisted_Dawg
07-27-2021, 07:40 PM
Dell didn't invest upwards of $450 million for bragging rights.

Trill Clinton
07-27-2021, 07:48 PM
Won't happen in our lifetime

spurs1990
07-27-2021, 08:23 PM
Won't happen in our lifetime

Arthur B Ablabav
07-27-2021, 08:39 PM
They're trying to make the Spurs the NBA team of Austin like how Jerry has made the Cowboys SA's NFL team. Right now Austin is a toss up between Spurs/Mavs/Rox/rest of NBA.

As for the stadium, if they were planning on moving to Austin, they would have gotten in on the Moody arena being built on UT campus right now. The Austin FC owner had some insane locations on his want list for their stadium. Auditorium Shores being the most pie in the sky, which is mainly why they ended up where they are at. Plus it was a chemical waste site that the city essentially gave to them.

Russ
07-27-2021, 08:56 PM
As for the stadium, if they were planning on moving to Austin, they would have gotten in on the Moody arena being built on UT campus right now.

NBA arenas and on-campus college arenas are completely different animals.

BackHome
07-27-2021, 09:22 PM
The LIBS in Austin in no way do they want an Arena brining in massive Traffic it's terrible enough it would take several hours to get in the arena and out if they ever built one and they wont

Arthur B Ablabav
07-27-2021, 10:19 PM
Agreed but it’s not being built as your typical on campus arena. The goal is to be a hub for concerts as well since they’re tearing down the Flan on 35. I was thinking that it could be a split use like MSG does for St John’s and the Knicks or Philly does with Villanova.

daslicer
07-27-2021, 10:24 PM
The move to Austin will make no difference when it comes to FA. I will never get the hype in here about Austin.

EricB
07-27-2021, 10:35 PM
We’re basing this on an investment in a gaming team and because they’re having a watch party in Austin?

Fox Mulder would think you people are out there

ginobilized
07-27-2021, 10:36 PM
I’ve lived in Austin for 30 hrs and think SA is the perfect city for the Spurs.
They are intertwined beautifully with the community, in fact, they pretty much wrote the book on how to do that.
They can’t pull out from the deep infrastructure they have created.

Austin would not cheer like SA. There would be very few lifers here in the fan base. Half the people in Austin will move somewhere else within a decade. It’s a young and transient city. I love Austin, but, SA has too much heart to leave.

baseline bum
07-28-2021, 04:59 PM
If the Spurs move I don’t think it would be to Austin. That’s kinda a lateral move in my opinion.

Austin Spurs fans, like myself take the short drive down to watch them play. If they leave San Antonio for Austin they will lose a good portion of their fan base and all the casual military folks that watch them.

Austin is a cool city but a good portion of the folks who live here don’t care about basketball like that due to all the other stuff to do here from my little knowledge. Where as the folks in San Antonio love the team

They'd sell more luxury boxes in Austin.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-28-2021, 05:08 PM
The Spurs should go back to downtown SA (or downtown Austin for that matter). We have one of the sh!ttiest arena locations in the league. Put it within walking distance to the hotels and nightlife and build more around it. The current location is terrible.

Floyd Pacquiao
07-28-2021, 05:18 PM
The LIBS in Austin in no way do they want an Arena brining in massive Traffic it's terrible enough it would take several hours to get in the arena and out if they ever built one and they wont
And thank Christ for that cause if the spurs ever moved anywhere I’d quit being a fan.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-28-2021, 05:21 PM

lmao do LIBS hate traffic more than CONS?

Dex
07-28-2021, 05:26 PM
The Spurs should go back to downtown SA (or downtown Austin for that matter). We have one of the sh!ttiest arena locations in the league. Put it within walking distance to the hotels and nightlife and build more around it. The current location is terrible.

What, you don't enjoy waiting in line 20 minutes for $30 parking, or walking through stockyards and getting harassed by homeless people on the way to the game?

Darn entitled Millennials these days :rolleyes

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-28-2021, 07:47 PM
They'd sell more luxury boxes in Austin.

Austin is not that far from San Antonio. If folks want to buy luxury boxes they will. Lol

its obvious a good portion of folks who post on here don’t live in Texas or this area of Texas. I live in north Austin, right on the boarder of Austin and Round Rock. It’s only an hour and a half drive with moderate traffic to San Antonio from where I live.

of course the Spurs have fans in Austin but honestly it isn’t as much as the actual city of San Antonio because these transplants and hippies don’t give a fuck about the NBA. Lmao. If this team moves to Austin from San Antonio and doesn’t put a decent (better than the last 3 seasons) product on the court the folks in Austin will turn quick as hell. Way quicker than the folks in San Antonio for sure.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-28-2021, 07:57 PM
The move to Austin will make no difference when it comes to FA. I will never get the hype in here about Austin.

for young and single folks Austin is way better than San Antonio in my opinion.

not to mention all the tech jobs already and arriving soon to the area. Austin’s downtown area is way cooler to hangout at and you have all the musical and film festivals in the city. Circuit of America’s is really cool if you’re into racing also. Lake Travis is hella chill and lots of young folks hang out there. So I can see alot of the younger posters liking it better than San Antonio.

Not too mention it’s way more white people in Austin than San Antonio. Lmao. So if a majority of the people on this site are white then of course they will like Austin better. Lmao. I know some might take offense to that but it’s true. Austin has a ton of white and Asian people as opposed to San Antonio which is majority Hispanic. So I wouldn’t be surprised if a good amount of folks don’t like San Antonio due to this. I’ve actually heard people say this in person, which is sad.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-28-2021, 08:01 PM
What, you don't enjoy waiting in line 20 minutes for $30 parking, or walking through stockyards and getting harassed by homeless people on the way to the game?

never had any of these issues.

but to be fair I’ve always taken an Uber to the games because I know I’m gonna drink a bit when watching the games. Lol.

they fucked up moving away from downtown in my opinion though. The area is shitty where the stadium is located now. If folks were smart and had the means they should buy up some of the land close to there and build some venues.

dbestpro
07-28-2021, 08:15 PM

not to mention all the tech jobs already and arriving soon to the area. Austin’s downtown area is way cooler to hangout at and you have all the musical and film festivals in the city. Circuit of America’s is really cool if you’re into racing also. Lake Travis is hella chill and lots of young folks hang out there. So I can see alot of the younger posters liking it better than San Antonio.

Not too mention it’s way more white people in Austin than San Antonio. Lmao. So if a majority of the people on this site are white then of course they will like Austin better. Lmao. I know some might take offense to that but it’s true. Austin has a ton of white and Asian people as opposed to San Antonio which is majority Hispanic. So I wouldn’t be surprised if a good amount of folks don’t like San Antonio due to this. I’ve actually heard people say this in person, which is sad.

Geekdom is in San Antonio and numerous cutting edge tech businesses are coming from this system. The internet of things lab is going to change the way we live.SA with its tourism, military bases, growing tech, biotech, and more will always be superior to traffic jammed Austin. Yeah, you can get drunk on 6th street as a single man, but that's about it.

daslicer
07-28-2021, 08:25 PM

I have never lived in Texas so I personally don't care about the Austin vs SA battle on which city is better. I live in Charlotte, NC so it really doesn't matter to me. I will say that no matter how much the Austin people in here hype up Austin it will still never be an FA destination for the top players in the league. That's really what this is about when these posters hype up the spurs potentially moving to Austin that they believe it's going to allow them to compete with LA,Miami,NYC and even Houston when it comes to getting star players.

This is a black league. Black players who are stars are never going to have interest of going down to Austin.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-28-2021, 09:06 PM

So true. :lol

spurs10
07-28-2021, 09:14 PM
Lived in SA as a kid, married a gal from SA, but spent most my life in Austin. San Antonio is a much better place for the Spurs. Where would they play for instance? Austin over-taxed with people and will likely not be building a stadium for the Spurs.

spurs10
07-28-2021, 09:23 PM

Darn entitled Millennials these days :rolleyes I'm a season ticket holder. Think I pay $5 instead of $15 for parking, have never waited longer than a few minutes to get in, and have never seen a homeless person there. I'm normally a fan of your posts, but this doesn't sound like the games I go to. :lol

illusioNtEk
07-28-2021, 09:53 PM
I rather be a lib then a racist tyrant retrumplican

The Truth #6
07-28-2021, 10:44 PM
Austin usually doesn’t care about SA, like can’t find it on a map, never visited. SA typically feels inferior to Austin. What I’m getting at is the fear of losing the team to Austin could be another example of this inferiority complex. What I’m also saying is that Austin might not want the Spurs. They already have their own pro team, UT Football. Hipsters love the other futbol. Sure, all it takes is one of their billionaires to get motivated to gain control. And who knows what happens. But there are some challenges, for sure. Combining the two markets together is the more likely challenge, but an arena in San Marcos could also be the worst of both worlds. But hey, we’ll see.

Dex
07-29-2021, 08:52 AM
never had any of these issues.

but to be fair I’ve always taken an Uber to the games because I know I’m gonna drink a bit when watching the games. Lol.

they fucked up moving away from downtown in my opinion though. The area is shitty where the stadium is located now. If folks were smart and had the means they should buy up some of the land close to there and build some venues.

I'm a season ticket holder. Think I pay $5 instead of $15 for parking, have never waited longer than a few minutes to get in, and have never seen a homeless person there. I'm normally a fan of your posts, but this doesn't sound like the games I go to. :lol

:lol OK, probably an over-exaggeration on my part, although you are definitely walking through the stockyards if you park in the outer lots and the line for parking can get crazy on AT&T Center Parkway if you don't get there early....but that's probably the case at most arenas.

I will say I've never actually seen homeless people actually around the arena, but the neighborhoods surrounding that area are definitely sketch.

Alamodome was obviously not built for basketball, but it was nice that there was other things to do within walking distance and it was a short cab ride from downtown. Aside from a couple dive bars and the country club across the street, there is nothing worth seeing around AT&T.

vy65
07-29-2021, 09:40 AM
The reality is that the team needs to both move away from SA and also not leave the SA market. SA is 32nd in the list of largest US cities by GDP and Austin is 26th. The range of cities by GDP between 26 and 32 includes Cleveland, Orlando, and Sacramento. If you were to combine the two together as a metroplex, you have a new metroplex with the 14th largest GDP in the country, "creating" an economy that was bigger than Phoenix, Denver, or Minneapolis. It'd be slightly smaller than the economies of San Jose/Silicon Valley or Miami. Note, these numbers are from 2018, and don't account for the boom in the central texas population and economy due to covid.

Ownership needs to leverage both the SA and Austin markets. Doing so has the potential to create a mid-market if not a "small big market" team (when you account for future growth). It can't be either/or. That means the debate shouldn't be about staying in SA or moving to Austin. The team needs to look at options that split the difference, whether its moving to the north side of SA or further up 35 to places like New Braunfels, San Marcos, or Kyle. When you start thinking along those lines, and especially with Dell taking an ownership stake in the team, the future stops looking so bleak.

Data is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._metropolitan_areas_by_GDP

Dex
07-29-2021, 09:57 AM
The reality is that the team needs to both move away from SA and also not leave the SA market. SA is 32nd in the list of largest US cities by GDP and Austin is 26th. The range of cities by GDP between 26 and 32 includes Cleveland, Orlando, and Sacramento. If you were to combine the two together as a metroplex, you have a new metroplex with the 14th largest GDP in the country, "creating" an economy that was bigger than Phoenix, Denver, or Minneapolis. It'd be slightly smaller than the economies of San Jose/Silicon Valley or Miami. Note, these numbers are from 2018, and don't account for the boom in the central texas population and economy due to covid.

Ownership needs to leverage both the SA and Austin markets. Doing so has the potential to create a mid-market if not a "small big market" team (when you account for future growth). It can't be either/or. That means the debate shouldn't be about staying in SA or moving to Austin. The team needs to look at options that split the difference, whether its moving to the north side of SA or further up 35 to places like New Braunfels, San Marcos, or Kyle. When you start thinking along those lines, and especially with Dell taking an ownership stake in the team, the future stops looking so bleak.

Data is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._metropolitan_areas_by_GDP

Splitting the difference based on population makes sense mathematically, but I think a "middle ground" location would just alienate both major metros.

Personally, I can attest that since I moved to Austin, I go to far fewer games. I don't really mind the drive, but it's a much bigger commitment for me to drive 2 hours each way from north Austin (usually during high traffic times) for a game than it used to be when I had to drive 20 minutes. That definitely factors in to my decision making, which is why I only go to one or two games a season these days and its usually a planned event (i.e. seeing family in San Antonio, getting a hotel downtown, etc.)

If they were to move to, say...New Braunfels, you are asking both the San Antonio and Austin folk to commit to at least a 45 minutes drive just to get to the arena. Season ticket sales would suffer, and overall, people would be far less inclined to go to a game on a whim.

Couple that with the fact that San Antonio has a longstanding history being....well, the San Antonio Spurs, and they won five championships there...that's sure to rub some of the old-timers the wrong way. The Spurs are synonymous with San Antonio at this point, and if they were to become the Austin Spurs (or even the South Texas Spurs or whatever)...a lot of people are just going to stop caring as much.

Like others have said, the cost of building an arena in the heart of Austin would be astronomical and Travis county probably wouldn't even go for...plus there is just not really room to build. So they would be left looking on the outskirts either way, whether that is Buda, Cedar Park, Round Rock, etc. But I don't see a real benefit of moving the team 100 miles up the road from its historical home.

I think the Spurs will continue to be the San Antonio Spurs for a long time, but if they do move....it's probably going to be far away.

vy65
07-29-2021, 10:19 AM
Splitting the difference based on population makes sense mathematically, but I think a "middle ground" location would just alienate both major metros.

Personally, I can attest that since I moved to Austin, I go to far fewer games. I don't really mind the drive, but it's a much bigger commitment for me to drive 2 hours each way from north Austin (usually during high traffic times) for a game then it used to be when I had to drive 20 minutes. That definitely factors in to my decision making, which is why I only go to one or two games a season these days and its usually a planned event (i.e. seeing family in San Antonio, getting a hotel downtown, etc.)

If they were to move to, say...New Braunfels, you are asking both the San Antonio and Austin folk to commit to at least an 45 minutes drive just to get to the arena. Season ticket sales would suffer, and overall, people would be far less inclined to go to a game on a whim.

Couple that with the fact that San Antonio has a longstanding history being....well, the San Antonio Spurs, and they won five championships there...that's sure to rub some of the old-timers the wrong way. The Spurs are synonymous with San Antonio at this point, and if they were to become the Austin Spurs (or even the South Texas Spurs or whatever)...a lot of people are just going to stop caring as much.

Like others have said, the cost of building an arena in the heart of Austin would be astronomical and Travis county probably wouldn't even go for...plus there is just not really room to build. So they would be left looking on the outskirts either way, whether that is Buda, Cedar Park, Round Rock, etc. But I don't see a real benefit of moving the team 100 miles up the road from its historical home.

I think the Spurs will continue to be the San Antonio Spurs for a long time, but if they do move....it's probably going to be far away.

Good points, but I think you're ignoring the direction of demographic changes in the I35 corridor. San Antonio is moving up and Austin is moving down. I grew up north of 1604 when it was an exurb. It's nothing of the sort now. So I wasn't suggesting a move directly into Austin or even further north like Cedar Park or RR. I think relocating to an area further north is an interesting idea worth considering. People who live further up north already commute 30-45 minutes to get to SBC as it is - would changing that commute to be 45 minutes north to San Marcos really be that big of a change? I don't see how. It's not like the current location is some prime destination anyway (it's not downtown, which isn't that great anyway).

Dex
07-29-2021, 11:48 AM
Good points, but I think you're ignoring the direction of demographic changes in the I35 corridor. San Antonio is moving up and Austin is moving down. I grew up north of 1604 when it was an exurb. It's nothing of the sort now. So I wasn't suggesting a move directly into Austin or even further north like Cedar Park or RR. I think relocating to an area further north is an interesting idea worth considering. People who live further up north already commute 30-45 minutes to get to SBC as it is - would changing that commute to be 45 minutes north to San Marcos really be that big of a change? I don't see how. It's not like the current location is some prime destination anyway (it's not downtown, which isn't that great anyway).

True...San Antonio is a big town in general, and a 30-45 minute drive to get places isn't out of the norm.

When I was just a younger Dex living in San Antonio, I dated a girl who also lived in San Antonio and it still took me ~40 minutes on 1604 to get to her house on a good day. I lived around Thousand Oaks, she lived around Culebra. I made that drive many, many times and you just kinda get used to it.

It would be closer to some, further for others....but might bring in more of those central markets like New Braunfels, San Marcos, etc which are all booming right now. As an Austin transplant, I wouldn't complain because it would make my commute shorter.

Dex
07-29-2021, 12:08 PM
I'm a season ticket holder. Think I pay $5 instead of $15 for parking, have never waited longer than a few minutes to get in, and have never seen a homeless person there. I'm normally a fan of your posts, but this doesn't sound like the games I go to. :lol

One followup though....don't season ticket holders get priority on parking passes too?

I know I've definitely paid upwards of $20-$30 if you want to park in the closer lots....or you can park in the far lots and walk half a mile for like $10.

For that reason, I usually try to get there early and grab that lot by the country club, which is much easier to get out of as well.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-29-2021, 12:23 PM
I have never lived in Texas so I personally don't care about the Austin vs SA battle on which city is better. I live in Charlotte, NC so it really doesn't matter to me. I will say that no matter how much the Austin people in here hype up Austin it will still never be an FA destination for the top players in the league. That's really what this is about when these posters hype up the spurs potentially moving to Austin that they believe it's going to allow them to compete with LA,Miami,NYC and even Houston when it comes to getting star players.

This is a black league. Black players who are stars are never going to have interest of going down to Austin.

i am originally from VA and lived the last 5 years before moving to Texas in NC.

Trust me when I say this though, Austin would be a way better draw for young people in general. No matter what race they are because the down town and party scene is easily accessible as opposed to San Antonio. In San Antonio a lot of cool spots are spread out all over the city outside of the river walk. Austin’s downtown and also the up and coming area (close to where I live) called the Domain are places a lot of young people go to drink and party. University of Texas is a stones throw away from downtown which makes it even crazier. Then the music festivals and shit also.

Young NBA players would most definitely like Austin better than San Antonio.

vy65
07-29-2021, 12:27 PM

Austin has an emerging PE sector, music and film, and a growing corporate pipeline (Oracle, Tesla) on top of one of the most robust technology pipelines in the country. If you think young, rich black men who want to be more than just a basketball player (see, Lebron and film or Westbook and fashion) wouldn't be attracted to that, you're clueless.

The Truth #6
07-29-2021, 12:31 PM
I tried to comment earlier on the merging of the two markets. Makes sense but it can’t weaken the Spurs brand so to speak. Also, yes, I-35 is merging everything together. But, maybe in another twenty years people will feel this consolidation. For now, SA still ends at New Braunfels and Austin starts north of San Marcos, at least in my opinion.

I think a prospective buyer is likely to just move the team elsewhere, as Dex suggested.

Drom John
07-29-2021, 12:52 PM
https://www.8newsnow.com/news/the-strip/only-on-8-new-renderings-released-for-all-net-resort-and-arena-owner-plans-to-break-ground-on-project-later-this-year/

MultiTroll
07-29-2021, 01:18 PM
More importantly, will the Silver Spurs Dancers be brought back?

Obi Juan Kenobi
07-29-2021, 01:28 PM
Build the new arena next to the Buc-ee's in New Braunfels and call it Buc-ee's Basketball Arena...

tmtcsc
07-29-2021, 01:54 PM

You know what else Austin has? A ton of fucking homeless people and miscreants that harass & assault revelers downtown. It also has maddening traffic due to an infrastructure that wasn't ready to support the migration of transplants. Fuck Austin. I went to UT, had my fun and graduated. I got the hell out of there as soon as I could. Its not a place for grown-ups, its a hot spot for liberals, millennials, techies, fake Mexican food & people who enjoy sniffing piss on sidewalks. If thats where the Spurs want to relocate, adios MF'ers. I enjoyed the ride with the Champion Spurs. This roster of chumps (except for KJ) along with Gregg can GTFO. He'd certainly feel more at home there. Shit, he can get a job lecturing at UT instead of doing it after games.

daslicer
07-29-2021, 04:06 PM
Austin has an emerging PE sector, music and film, and a growing corporate pipeline (Oracle, Tesla) on top of one of the most robust technology pipelines in the country. If you think young, rich black men who want to be more than just a basketball player (see, Lebron and film or Westbook and fashion) wouldn't be attracted to that, you're clueless.

Yeah I'm very confident the Lebrons of this world are not going to ever come to Austin if they had a team. Austin doesn't register as a cool place among young black men. I think that's a problem white people like you have a hard time registering. When it comes to competing with Miami,NYC,LA they are going to have as much success as San Antonio did. A place like Atlanta would be considered cooler than Austin for a young black man

daslicer
07-29-2021, 04:08 PM
i am originally from VA and lived the last 5 years before moving to Texas in NC.

Trust me when I say this though, Austin would be a way better draw for young people in general. No matter what race they are because the down town and party scene is easily accessible as opposed to San Antonio. In San Antonio a lot of cool spots are spread out all over the city outside of the river walk. Austin’s downtown and also the up and coming area (close to where I live) called the Domain are places a lot of young people go to drink and party. University of Texas is a stones throw away from downtown which makes it even crazier. Then the music festivals and shit also.

Young NBA players would most definitely like Austin better than San Antonio.

The question is not whether it's better than SA it is can it compete with Miami,LA,NYC. I doubt it can which is the problem all these markets have when it comes to attracting mega stars though FA or trades along with keeping their mega stars.

koriwhat
07-29-2021, 05:34 PM
I can't believe this thread even hit 2 pages, let alone being created at all, but I guess there's a ton of yall in here with yalls imaginations still intact from childhood. This is never going to happen so why even entertain it?

Budkin
07-29-2021, 06:20 PM
Won't happen. Austin and San Antonio are just going to become the new Dallas Ft. Worth

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-30-2021, 12:38 PM
You know what else Austin has? A ton of fucking homeless people and miscreants that harass & assault revelers downtown. It also has maddening traffic due to an infrastructure that wasn't ready to support the migration of transplants. Fuck Austin. I went to UT, had my fun and graduated. I got the hell out of there as soon as I could. Its not a place for grown-ups, its a hot spot for liberals, millennials, techies, fake Mexican food & people who enjoy sniffing piss on sidewalks. If thats where the Spurs want to relocate, adios MF'ers. I enjoyed the ride with the Champion Spurs. This roster of chumps (except for KJ) along with Gregg can GTFO. He'd certainly feel more at home there. Shit, he can get a job lecturing at UT instead of doing it after games.

its obvious you didn’t read my other post on this subject. Lol

daslicer
07-30-2021, 12:46 PM

Just curious where do you live now?

KobesAchilles
07-30-2021, 01:19 PM
Drove down to SA yesterday and put on the Ticket. Idk SA radio guys names but they had an entire segment about how in 5 years they are going to build an arena somewhere between SA and Austin. They said that the money well here has dried up and there’s bigger companies and money/investment opportunities in Austin.

I dont think they are moving to Austin. But they have to move that stupid arena. I mean there’s nothing around it. And nothing to do after the game. Hell atleast the river walk was walkable from the Dome. There’s literally nothing around the Whataburger Center except for a Valero.

tmtcsc
07-30-2021, 01:33 PM
Just curious where do you live now?

San Antonio

Buddy Holly
07-30-2021, 02:43 PM
This thread is full of ass backwards information and just asinine stupidity. Some of you people have the opinions and takes of a middle schooler after huffing spray paint all morning. The OP is just a dumb ass as well.

Extra Stout
07-30-2021, 03:49 PM
It’s not clear to me why the Spurs would move to Austin. The location-specific NBA money is in arena revenue and regional TV contracts. The Spurs already have been working on locking down Austin on the latter, and unless there’s some lucrative real estate development project with a new arena in downtown Austin in the works for the former, I don’t see how the Spurs could come out ahead. Travis County isn’t going to give public money for a new arena, not even for infrastructure.

The best place for a project like that, if anywhere, would be the old Lone Star brewery in Southtown. In the meantime, the current facility is competitive, with an ongoing commitment from the county to invest to keep it up to date.

The Spurs aren’t moving to Seattle any time soon. If Seattle gets any team in the next 5-10 years, it will be the Pelicans.

KingKev
07-30-2021, 04:16 PM
The minute the Holt’s and The Admiral own <50.00000000001% this team is moving elsewhere. It is quite simple.

KingKev
07-30-2021, 04:19 PM
More importantly, will the Silver Spurs Dancers be brought back?

Vegas has some hot working girls tbh

koriwhat
07-30-2021, 04:38 PM
Drove down to SA yesterday and put on the Ticket. Idk SA radio guys names but they had an entire segment about how in 5 years they are going to build an arena somewhere between SA and Austin. They said that the money well here has dried up and there’s bigger companies and money/investment opportunities in Austin.

I dont think they are moving to Austin. But they have to move that stupid arena. I mean there’s nothing around it. And nothing to do after the game. Hell atleast the river walk was walkable from the Dome. There’s literally nothing around the Whataburger Center except for a Valero.

It's because they put the AT&T building in one of the shittiest parts of town the East side. It's trash over there!

Buddy Holly
07-30-2021, 06:20 PM
The minute the Holt’s and The Admiral own <50.00000000001% this team is moving elsewhere. It is quite simple.

Hey dumb dumb. Combined the Holts and David only own like 42 percent of the Spurs. Wtf are you talking about? Learn wtf you’re talking about before you open your yap.

KingKev
07-31-2021, 03:23 AM
Hey dumb dumb. Combined the Holts and David only own like 42 percent of the Spurs. Wtf are you talking about? Learn wtf you’re talking about before you open your yap.

I stand corrected. My bad!

playblair
08-01-2021, 02:35 PM
looks like nfl got the memo about austin.............spurs are next as it shouldve always been.........san antonio should be the minor leauge teams like san antonio fc san antonio hockey missions baseball

austin will now have an mls/nfl/nba team

Twisted_Dawg
08-01-2021, 07:59 PM
looks like nfl got the memo about austin.............spurs are next as it shouldve always been.........san antonio should be the minor leauge teams like san antonio fc san antonio hockey missions baseball

austin will now have an mls/nfl/nba team

The Buffalo Bills are threatening to move to Austin if the city of Buffalo doesn't build them a new stadium.

baseline bum
08-01-2021, 08:48 PM
The Buffalo Bills are threatening to move to Austin if the city of Buffalo doesn't build them a new stadium.

JFC taxpayers giving the Bills $1.5 billion? Honestly, pro sports can all go fuck off.

ChumpDumper
08-02-2021, 01:17 AM
JFC taxpayers giving the Bills $1.5 billion? Honestly, pro sports can all go fuck off.:lol what do they think Austin will pay?

Guess they could rape Hayes County or some other rubes but Austin doesn't seem to be in the mood. Is there still room in the COTA infield for Murcan football?

lebomb
08-02-2021, 06:37 AM
I cannot see an NFL team in Austin. No way attention will be taken from the all mighty TEXAS LONGHORNS.

Maddog
08-02-2021, 06:37 AM
I think Buffalo is just floating names out there. I really don't se Austin doing this and I don't see it happening without significant protest from The Cowboys and Texans.

I find it interesting that there seems to be a bit of myths and wishful thinking when it comes to Austin/San Antonio.
The metro areas have become similar in size, but here is the perception that Austin has a lot more wealth.
Well yes, but just barely- the GDP for both metro areas is similar with Austin about 9% higher.
San Antonio Austin becoming the next DFW? Well Dallas and Fort Worth centers are ~30 miles apart and San Antonio Austin ~80 miles.
Even Combined SA/Austin's population and GDP fall significantly short of DFW and do not crack the top 10 US metro areas

Extra Stout
08-02-2021, 07:46 AM
JFC taxpayers giving the Bills $1.5 billion? Honestly, pro sports can all go fuck off.
What a loss of status for San Antonio. Austin has replaced it as the NFL’s go-to city for fake leverage when trying to shake down cities for stadium money.

Extra Stout
08-02-2021, 07:59 AM
I think Buffalo is just floating names out there. I really don't se Austin doing this and I don't see it happening without significant protest from The Cowboys and Texans.

I find it interesting that there seems to be a bit of myths and wishful thinking when it comes to Austin/San Antonio.
The metro areas have become similar in size, but here is the perception that Austin has a lot more wealth.
Well yes, but just barely- the GDP for both metro areas is similar with Austin about 9% higher.
San Antonio Austin becoming the next DFW? Well Dallas and Fort Worth centers are ~30 miles apart and San Antonio Austin ~80 miles.
Even Combined SA/Austin's population and GDP fall significantly short of DFW and do not crack the top 10 US metro areas
Stadium revenue and sponsorships are the big drivers for NFL location-specific revenue. Per-capita GDP plays into that (Austin is about 20% higher per-capita), but even more important is a critical mass of large corporations to buy up luxury boxes and sponsorships. San Antonio still trails peer cities in that metric, including Austin.

Chasing pro sports is the tail wagging the dog anyway. A city should focus on improving the lives of its citizens. If a city does the right things about that, then it also will become attractive as a home for more pro sports.

At this point it’s all talk. Neither Austin nor SA is going to put up billions to subsidize a new NFL stadium, and neither of them is going to have somebody come in and make enough money off a privately-built facility.

baseline bum
08-02-2021, 09:28 AM
What a loss of status for San Antonio. Austin has replaced it as the NFL’s go-to city for fake leverage when trying to shake down cities for stadium money.

:lmao

offset formation
08-02-2021, 10:01 AM
I cannot see an NFL team in Austin. No way attention will be taken from the all mighty TEXAS LONGHORNS.

They've been relevant what, 2 or 3 times in the last 20 years. Maybe 8 or 9 times in the last 75. They're a pathetic joke and yet their fans think themselves kings.