PDA

View Full Version : Lonnie Walker extension watch

Pages : [1] 2 3

RC_Drunkford
08-02-2021, 04:17 PM
I'd actually love if we extend him now. If DeRozan is in fact gone, Lonnie's scoring numbers will go up and it will cost a lot more to resign him when he becomes a restricted FA

Dejounte
08-02-2021, 04:17 PM
This dude is probably gone because of Primo.

slick'81
08-02-2021, 04:19 PM
https://d1l5jyrrh5eluf.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Lonnie-Walker-2080-1000-compressor.jpg

Get it done brian wrong

mo7888
08-02-2021, 04:20 PM
I'd actually love if we extend him now. If DeRozan is in fact gone, Lonnie's scoring numbers will go up and it will cost a lot more to resign him when he becomes a restricted FA

I think about 3 years and $39M ...

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-02-2021, 04:26 PM
I'd extend him. Probably could get him extended somewhat cheaply this summer and then, worst case, have a tradeable contract on a young player if he continues to lag in his development.

But I agree, he may take some strides with DeRozan likely gone. I mean, someone's got to replace DeRozan taking every late shot of every Spurs game in the 2nd and 4th quarters. That will add 160 shots per season to his resume right there.

cd98
08-02-2021, 04:29 PM
This dude is probably gone because of Primo.

Not so sure. I think Primo is at least two years away from being worthy of any minutes. If DDR is gone, they likely will need Lonnie. But maybe they let him play out his rookie contract and then see.

Ditty
08-02-2021, 04:29 PM
I would extend him also.

Robz4000
08-02-2021, 04:30 PM
If you can extend him for $10mil/season or less, do it imo.

exstatic
08-02-2021, 04:55 PM
He might be a worse defender than Forbes.

timvp
08-02-2021, 04:56 PM
Nothing will happen with his extension until the last second -- which I assume is some point in October like usual.

ducks
08-02-2021, 05:23 PM
Would make sense so walkers numbers would look better and he would get more $
Maybe one day he can be as rich as the liberal owner of Amazon

Dingle Barry
08-02-2021, 10:57 PM
He's average and superfluous.

So I fully expect a sizeable extension.

BillMc
10-18-2021, 09:22 AM
Isn't today the last day for it to be done?

lmbebo
10-18-2021, 09:23 AM
Could see it not happening... and them letting him become a RFA unless extension is a great deal for Spurs

BillMc
10-18-2021, 09:25 AM
I like Lonnie as a person, but think he shouldn't be extended. I mean Kyle had shown more at this equivalent point and they didn't extend him as I recall.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-18-2021, 09:34 AM
Mikal Bridges got 4 yrs/$90 mil, which is a win for Phoenix. I think Lonnie could be signed for something like 4/40, which would be fine because it'd be less yearly than his cap hold, but not sure the Spurs value him that much.

D-Robinson 50 fan
10-18-2021, 09:48 AM
They are doing the right thing not extending him now. Let the market dictate how much they should pay him because he honestly still has a way to go as a player to actually earn heavy NBA minutes.

hopefully he balls out this season and earns a good pay day with our (or any other) team. If he plays like he deserves what Bridges just received then that means we will be better as a team overall.

John B
10-18-2021, 09:52 AM
They are doing the right thing not extending him now. Let the market dictate how much they should pay him because he honestly still has a way to go as a player to actually earn heavy NBA minutes.

hopefully he balls out this season and earns a good pay day with our (or any other) team. If he plays like he deserves what Bridges just received then that means we will be better as a team overall.

Agree. Lonnie still has a lot to prove. And that should give him the hunger to prove it

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-18-2021, 09:59 AM
Agree. Lonnie still has a lot to prove. And that should give him the hunger to prove it

Not that I could claim to know him, but he strikes me as the kind of guy who'd play better and more relaxed having a contract's security, especially since he's somewhat injury prone. His advanced stats have been so bad that he and his agent must be concerned about the value of potential offers next summer.

exstatic
10-18-2021, 10:05 AM
They’re not NOT extending him, at this point. IIRC, both DJs and White’s extensions happened on the last day. They have an offer on the table, and I’m sure Lonnie and his representatives have a figure they want. If the Spurs think that the number they have offered is wildly below market, they may make a final offer to avoid having to match next summer. If not, the extension deadline will pass, and he’ll play for the QO, and be restricted next summer.

Chinook
10-18-2021, 10:11 AM
I'm assuming he won't be extended and have been since Primo was drafted. It's probably worth more to the team to get a contract-year performance out of Lonnie and then trade him or let him walk than to try to get a discount on signing him now anyway. If Pop were going to get through to Walker, you'd think he would've done so by now. I think it'll take a different coach to do that, if anyone does.

baseline bum
10-18-2021, 10:13 AM
They’re not NOT extending him, at this point. IIRC, both DJs and White’s extensions happened on the last day. They have an offer on the table, and I’m sure Lonnie and his representatives have a figure they want. If the Spurs think that the number they have offered is wildly below market, they may make a final offer to avoid having to match next summer. If not, the extension deadline will pass, and he’ll play for the QO, and be restricted next summer.

God I hope the Spurs don't have any offer on the table for Walker. Let him walk next summer, he's an awful player.

BillMc
10-18-2021, 10:23 AM

This.

Anyway, can someone confirm this is the last day to extend him? Or is it tomorrow?

spurraider21
10-18-2021, 10:38 AM
why would they extend him?

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-18-2021, 10:39 AM
Extend him to the nearest dumpsta

emanueldavidginobili
10-18-2021, 10:59 AM
This.

Anyway, can someone confirm this is the last day to extend him? Or is it tomorrow?
Yeah today is the last day to decide who to cut and who to extend or not.

BillMc
10-18-2021, 11:02 AM
Yeah today is the last day to decide who to cut and who to extend or not.

Thanks bro. :bobo

emanueldavidginobili
10-18-2021, 11:07 AM
Thanks bro. :bobo
No problem, 6 PM ET is the deadline.

exstatic
10-18-2021, 11:12 AM
Just FYI, the deadline for extensions for this draft class is 6 PM, EST.

John B
10-18-2021, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the explanation. Lonnie is a good kid who is only 22 years, and a great character both on and off the court. He gets alomg well with the other players, and he’s always out there helping the community. I don’t see him being all about the money in that he likes to win than anything else. He’s a team player, Manu-esque very much like Derek. But sometimes that unselfishness gets the better of him. I wish he could be more selfish and get his own. He is an athletic freak who can have a very high ceiling if he gets them together. Unlike Samanic, he is not lazy about it, but again maybe too unselfish. I see him taking the offer because again he is not all about the money.

cd98
10-18-2021, 01:07 PM
Save the money for Vassel.

spurraider21
10-18-2021, 01:11 PM
its still early, but not like he's done shit to earn one yet

exstatic
10-18-2021, 01:30 PM
its still early, but not like he's done shit to earn one yet

He played very well last year before he caught covid. Elite perimeter defense, and 40% from beyond the arc. He wasn’t the same after his hiatus. I expect a lot from him this year.

Sugus
10-18-2021, 01:37 PM
I'll go against the grain and say I hope they extend him today.

I don't think the non-security of playing for a QO will make Lonnie play significantly hungrier than he would otherwise play, especially now that we've seen Primo is a capable player and practically "stepping on his toes". He's got the hunger already; his question marks lie elsewhere. And given that, and given his sub-par performances up to now, this would be an excellent time to snag him on the cheap (someone mentioned 4/40 and I think that's a great number) and not have the risk of a breakout year performance and having to overpay him later on (I can already see ST experts crying about not having extended him sooner...).

Besides, given Lonnie's youth, eye-popping athleticism, and above-average shooting, any extension that falls somewhere along $10-12M/per is bound to be good value and easily tradeable should the Spurs want to move on from him down the line. This isn't a DJ o DW situation where you'll be dropping close to $70M on a player. Barring injury, I see Lonnie outplaying a reasonable extension; maybe not this season, but the next one. He's still too raw around the edges, so the hope is that a season of increased usage, role, burn, teaches him the things that riding the bench (obviously) didn't.

rankingtear
10-18-2021, 01:59 PM
I'll go against the grain and say I hope they extend him today.

I don't think the non-security of playing for a QO will make Lonnie play significantly hungrier than he would otherwise play, especially now that we've seen Primo is a capable player and practically "stepping on his toes". He's got the hunger already; his question marks lie elsewhere. And given that, and given his sub-par performances up to now, this would be an excellent time to snag him on the cheap (someone mentioned 4/40 and I think that's a great number) and not have the risk of a breakout year performance and having to overpay him later on (I can already see ST experts crying about not having extended him sooner...).

Besides, given Lonnie's youth, eye-popping athleticism, and above-average shooting, any extension that falls somewhere along $10-12M/per is bound to be good value and easily tradeable should the Spurs want to move on from him down the line. This isn't a DJ o DW situation where you'll be dropping close to $70M on a player. Barring injury, I see Lonnie outplaying a reasonable extension; maybe not this season, but the next one. He's still too raw around the edges, so the hope is that a season of increased usage, role, burn, teaches him the things that riding the bench (obviously) didn't.

This blind faith or you see something he improved in the preseason?

The Truth #6
10-18-2021, 02:06 PM
Disregarding the ceiling for the moment, his competition seems to be Forbes. That’s not great. I think he has a future and can improve but I question if it’s in this system/team, unfortunately.

Sugus
10-18-2021, 02:25 PM
This blind faith or you see something he improved in the preseason?

I didn't catch a single preseason game due to personal reasons, tbh, so no eyeball-test from me at least. Just "hope", or rather, I like Lonnie as a player, despite his shortcomings, and also think it makes sense for the Spurs to keep him for at least a couple more years. Not only is he a very intriguing player if/when he "puts it all together", but also, he fills a position and role of need as a floor spacer, high-volume-shooting, dynamic guard.

I do think eventually Primo will take his role, and even DWhite's role, as the definitive starting SG, but I don't think he's quite there yet, maybe a year in Austin and another one in the bench away from truly being starter material. In the meantime, either Lonnie or, idk, Forbes, can fill out this role, and I'd damn rather have the former than the latter, tbh.

Sugus
10-18-2021, 03:21 PM

C'mon RC, lock him up :hungry:

exstatic
10-18-2021, 03:23 PM

C'mon RC, lock him up :hungry:
Manu can only teach skills, not desire or hustle.

spurraider21
10-18-2021, 03:29 PM
if your reason for extending Lonnie is that Manu is an assistant, i have no words

GAustex
10-18-2021, 03:52 PM
Manu was/is smart
Lonnie well…

John B
10-18-2021, 03:55 PM
Manu can only teach skills, not desire or hustle.

I think the desire is there. It’s more like being less unselfish. Pop had to push Kawhi also to come out from that shell, barking at TP to give Kawhi the ball, albeit Lonnie still misses defensive assignments, but he’s asking questions, trying to get better, unlike Samanic. I like Lonnie, and by the end of the day, I want him in my team. He’s a good character kid.

MultiTroll
10-18-2021, 04:01 PM
I sure am glad more of this couldn't have been figured out last year.

Seeing LMA, Gay, Patty n Forbes develop was surely a necessity.

Robz4000
10-18-2021, 04:03 PM
If Lonnie is willing to take 4/$40mil it's a no brainer tbh. Either he takes a step forward and the contract becomes a bargain or he doesn't and you can sell another team on him for his "potential" and move him.

spurraider21
10-18-2021, 04:10 PM
i havent seen him justify earning 10 mil per year tbh

gerald green used to sign contracts for under 2-3 mil per year all time and he was a better version of the Lonnie we've seen :lol

itzsoweezee
10-18-2021, 04:15 PM

What does one have to do with the other? Pretty sure the Spurs can go over the cap for Vasell.

emanueldavidginobili
10-18-2021, 04:42 PM
Kevin Huerter just got 4 years 65 million drafted the pick right after Lonnie in the same draft.

BacktoBasics
10-18-2021, 04:53 PM
Kevin Huerter just got 4 years 65 million drafted the pick right after Lonnie in the same draft.

They have similar stat lines as well. That's too rich for me. 10-12 million is the sweet spot I wouldn't hate a reach to 14 if he actually has a good season but 16 is way too much.

emanueldavidginobili
10-18-2021, 05:03 PM
They have similar stat lines as well. That's too rich for me. 10-12 million is the sweet spot I wouldn't hate a reach to 14 if he actually has a good season but 16 is way too much.
I agree, Landry Shamet just got 4 years 43 million, he was drafted the year prior.

emanueldavidginobili
10-18-2021, 05:04 PM
It is past 6 PM EST so it looks like no extension for Lonnie.

K...
10-18-2021, 05:11 PM
Iiiiiiits time! What happened?

C-Dub
10-18-2021, 05:31 PM
Deadline could be 6pm West Coast time.

Slippy
10-18-2021, 06:37 PM
I think the desire is there. It’s more like being less unselfish. Pop had to push Kawhi also to come out from that shell, barking at TP to give Kawhi the ball, albeit Lonnie still misses defensive assignments, but he’s asking questions, trying to get better, unlike Samanic. I like Lonnie, and by the end of the day, I want him in my team. He’s a good character kid.

Thats all you can ask and he showing the willingness. He just needs his coach to back him full tilt this season.

He still managed to average 11 playing along other ball dominent players and a coach not fully invested in him. With Demar, Patty and Rudy gone. , the opps will be there to breakout. Pop has to put him in position to succeed. The security of a contract may have had Lonnie keeping his approach the same . This season his approach has to be different and yes Be more selfish.

exstatic
10-18-2021, 07:09 PM
Deadline could be 6pm West Coast time.

Nope. All deadlines are based on NY, where NBA HQ is. Eastern Standard Time.

CGD
10-18-2021, 07:31 PM
They didn’t agree

spurraider21
10-18-2021, 07:40 PM
It is past 6 PM EST so it looks like no extension for Lonnie.
:tu good

im always hoping to be proven wrong, but he doesnt look like he's really on a trajectory to justify an extension. nobody doubts the talent is there.

Sugus
10-18-2021, 09:10 PM
if your reason for extending Lonnie is that Manu is an assistant, i have no words

I would ask for you to show me wherever the fuck I said that, but I know the answer already... :sleep

Sugus
10-18-2021, 09:15 PM

Yep. Too bad they didn't extend him; I could see the reasoning though, especially if, as everyone's saying, he's not been showing much improvements during preseason, even though it's hardly a good measuring stick for how a player will pan out through the year. Definitely agree that the desire is there (either some folks here don't know what "desire" looks like, or they can't distinguish between not wanting to do something and not (yet?) being able to, not sure which is worse).

We'll see whether he has a season that makes the Spurs regret this move, but it'd not be such a big deal either: if he plays out in such a way as to command big offers in FA, it'd definitely be more of a win for the Spurs' talent-ridden team to have one of their own blossoming like that, than the "lose" of having to match whatever offer. I'm cautiously optimistic (as with most facets regarding the next season tbh, now that the Mid 3 show is over).

John B
10-18-2021, 09:22 PM
Yep. Too bad they didn't extend him; I could see the reasoning though, especially if, as everyone's saying, he's not been showing much improvements during preseason, even though it's hardly a good measuring stick for how a player will pan out through the year. Definitely agree that the desire is there (either some folks here don't know what "desire" looks like, or they can't distinguish between not wanting to do something and not (yet?) being able to, not sure which is worse).

We'll see whether he has a season that makes the Spurs regret this move, but it'd not be such a big deal either: if he plays out in such a way as to command big offers in FA, it'd definitely be more of a win for the Spurs' talent-ridden team to have one of their own blossoming like that, than the "lose" of having to match whatever offer. I'm cautiously optimistic (as with most facets regarding the next season tbh, now that the Mid 3 show is over).

I feel the move is to make him prove himself than any other. Besides Samanic (which ship has sailed), I have high hopes on Lonnie to be a high ceiling guy and I’m rooting for him to have a breakout year.

Degoat
10-18-2021, 09:29 PM
Lonnie with a potentially instagram-baller emotional post, he kinda cropped out the spurs jersey out of the photo he posted

Dex
10-18-2021, 10:51 PM
Lonnie with a potentially instagram-baller emotional post, he kinda cropped out the spurs jersey out of the photo he posted

That'll really show Pop. :rolleyes

Maybe he should figure out what to do once he breaks down his first defender, or...you know, just do something that resembles defense.

BillMc
10-18-2021, 11:02 PM
It's a good move on several fronts:

1. You can't pay everyone and KJ and Devin will be up soon. We'll probably have another expensive high draft pick on the books next year too.
2. Maybe it will put some fire in Lonnie. Or attention to detail or whatever he lacks.
3. It'll send a message to the younger guys that extensions are earned. After DJ and White, maybe most of our high draft picks sort of EXPECTED they'd get that extension. This is a reminder you must work and develop (As White and especially DJ did). Luka being cut plus no-Lonnie extension show nothing is given to you. Must be earned. Good message for KJ, Devin, Primo, etc.
4. If he does break out, he may be worth a big contract given his athleticism. If he's meh or begins to lose time to Primo and Forbes(!) then even 4/40 is way too much and we should be happy we didn't do it.

Dejounte
10-18-2021, 11:17 PM
IMO, for the backup SG position it was either an overpaid Lonnie or an underpaid Forbes. Can’t believe I would ever use “underpaid” to describe Forbes, but relative to Lonnie he is. If Forbes continues his play from pre-season, that’s not a bad off-the-bench player.

BackHome
10-18-2021, 11:20 PM
Hopefully they can give him some early burn and try to flip vs letting him walk for nothing like another first rounder Luka.

james evans
10-19-2021, 05:38 AM
He would be a goddamn fool to re-sign under Popovich lol.

exstatic
10-19-2021, 06:33 AM
Hopefully they can give him some early burn and try to flip vs letting him walk for nothing like another first rounder Luka.

Luka didn’t walk for nothing, he was shown the door for sub par performance and effort. Spurs still have Lonnie’s matching rights next summer, so if he were to totally blow up this season, he’ll be retained. Lonnie bet on himself, and the Spurs bet on the SG market.

The Truth #6
10-19-2021, 06:43 AM
I will be curious to see if his minutes change after this, especially when Tre returns.

Dejounte
10-19-2021, 07:04 AM
I will be curious to see if his minutes change after this, especially when Tre returns.

This is probably what will happen. Lonnie will get Trey Lyle’d. Team needs to see what Tre has to offer.

The Truth #6
10-19-2021, 09:17 AM
Yeah. The team has a way of minimizing minutes sometimes, often for good reason, but sometimes to lower their value, in my opinion. But hey, we’ll see.

Sugus
10-19-2021, 02:35 PM
This is probably what will happen. Lonnie will get Trey Lyle’d. Team needs to see what Tre has to offer.

Not my boy :depressed

MultiTroll
10-27-2021, 09:56 AM
IMO, for the backup SG position it was either an overpaid Lonnie or an underpaid Forbes. Can’t believe I would ever use “underpaid” to describe Forbes, but relative to Lonnie he is. If Forbes continues his play from pre-season, that’s not a bad off-the-bench player.
Facepalm.

MultiTroll
10-27-2021, 09:58 AM
Yeah. The team has a way of minimizing minutes sometimes, often for good reason, but sometimes to lower their value, in my opinion. But hey, we’ll see.
While Lonnie got 31 min last night, wtf was he taken out after leading the team to the 13 point lead?

Dejounte
10-27-2021, 10:08 AM
Facepalm.

Facepalm, indeed. He didn’t continue his play from pre-season.

rjv
10-27-2021, 10:11 AM
While Lonnie got 31 min last night, wtf was he taken out after leading the team to the 13 point lead?

i thought the same thing although i'll admit that i wasn't paying too much attention to how he was doing defensively. still, we needed offense and during that pivotal 3rd quarter run the lakers had-and lonnie was on the bench

John B
10-27-2021, 11:09 AM
Not signing him is making him hungry out there. Spurs could end up paying more as a result, but it would be all worth it.

MultiTroll
10-27-2021, 11:20 AM
Facepalm, indeed. He didn’t continue his play from pre-season.
Son as you gain experience you will discern the difference between pre season and regular season.

Dejounte
10-27-2021, 11:31 AM
Son as you gain experience you will discern the difference between pre season and regular season.

Except I didn’t imply that he would continue his play. As you gain experience, maybe learn to read.

MultiTroll
10-27-2021, 11:54 AM
Except I didn’t imply that he would continue his play. As you gain experience, maybe learn to read.

There, there Ralphie.

Dejounte
10-27-2021, 11:55 AM
There, there Ralphie.

Literally says “IF” Forbes continues his play.

Fireball
10-27-2021, 12:00 PM
his price tag is increasing tbh … without his scoring punch these Spurs are not the same

james evans
10-27-2021, 02:13 PM
Literally says “IF” Forbes continues his play.
no matter how you worded it, insinuating Forbes is better than Walker was asinine.

Dejounte
10-27-2021, 02:20 PM
No, Forbes is not better than Lonnie at face value. This is really not worth explaining to people who think black and white.

james evans
10-27-2021, 02:46 PM
No, Forbes is not better than Lonnie at face value. This is really not worth explaining to people who think black and white.
he's not better than Walker at face value, retail value, or resale value.

RC_Drunkford
10-27-2021, 02:46 PM

:pop: " he still hasn't gotten completely over himself"

rankingtear
11-17-2021, 02:32 AM
Probably would look better without DJ taking his shots. Needs a heliocentric offense catered to him. Not enough plays run for him, pop needs to call timeout every possession and design plays for him. Watched the HOU game highlights 2 years ago, this guy is a legit scorer.

BillMc
11-17-2021, 08:02 AM
More and more, I'm glad we did not extend him.

rjv
11-17-2021, 10:12 AM
i haven't given up entirely on lonnie but i'm getting very close.

spurraider21
11-17-2021, 10:37 AM
Very reminiscent of jonathon simmons but with less splash plays. Definitely a worthwhile prospect. Just hasn’t materialized. He should at least have been as good as will Barton and striving to become oladipo.

Dverde
11-17-2021, 10:56 AM
I sense this going the same as Kyle Anderson, someone offer a little more money than the Spurs will pay. I don’t think Lonnie is a starter in this league. He would do better going overseas and dunking on midgets.

MultiTroll
11-17-2021, 11:04 AM

no matter how you worded it, insinuating Forbes is better than Walker was asinine.

he's not better than Walker at face value, retail value, or resale value.
:lol

Dejounte
11-17-2021, 11:05 AM
Guy showing he doesn’t know how to read again :lmao

MultiTroll
11-17-2021, 11:06 AM
How can Walker look so good some trips down the floor?
That behind the back layup was All Star worthy.

rjv
11-17-2021, 11:23 AM
walker is an enigma, no doubt about it. there are times where he just makes your jaw drop and then too many times where you're cursing him out. unfortunately, there have been more of the latter moments than the former and the clock is ticking.

rr2911
11-17-2021, 11:45 AM
Lonnie Walker has reached his ceiling. What you see from him is what youre going to get. A player that might raise a team up with some timely baskets and then fade away. I still see Walker not finishing the season here in SA.

MultiTroll
11-17-2021, 11:46 AM
https://live.staticflickr.com/3224/2973525846_be1ca01703_b.jpg

exstatic
11-17-2021, 12:04 PM

And yet, it’s still only two points. I’d rather he shoot more consistently and confidently from beyond the arc.

JeffDuncan
11-17-2021, 12:08 PM

On that play a pass wasn’t possible so Lonnie did the kind of thing he can do. (White was running to the corner but a defender was in that passing lane.)

Lonnie has bought into Pop’s “system” too much. Don’t be selfish. Always think about passing the ball. Be a good team player. All that crap. And yes, it is crap.

Lonnie is never sure he’s allowed to shoot unless there’s nobody to pass to, like on that layup, or a play is run for him, which is rare. When he disappears in games it’s because he’s trying to be a good teammate, not selfish, the way Pop insisted and forced on him by not playing him. Sad.

BillMc
11-17-2021, 12:11 PM
I sense this going the same as Kyle Anderson, someone offer a little more money than the Spurs will pay. I don’t think Lonnie is a starter in this league. He would do better going overseas and dunking on midgets.

I agree.

Kyle had shown us way may more than Lonnie at their respective points in the career. Kyle was a good defender and had some awareness too. Lonnie is has neither. But Lonnie is way more athletic and some team will make an offer based on potential that I don't expect the Spurs to match.

He's as good as gone, I think.

Sugus
11-17-2021, 04:35 PM
On that play a pass wasn’t possible so Lonnie did the kind of thing he can do. (White was running to the corner but a defender was in that passing lane.)

Lonnie has bought into Pop’s “system” too much. Don’t be selfish. Always think about passing the ball. Be a good team player. All that crap. And yes, it is crap.

Lonnie is never sure he’s allowed to shoot unless there’s nobody to pass to, like on that layup, or a play is run for him, which is rare. When he disappears in games it’s because he’s trying to be a good teammate, not selfish, the way Pop insisted and forced on him by not playing him. Sad.

Exactly. It's funny seeing Pop's system impregnate all the young players' playstyles and the way it makes the Spurs play. You see every other team in the league passing the ball with purpose, drawing plays, looking for 3pt shots actively and letting it fly. Yet in SanAn, it's all about drive & kick out, don't shoot it, instead drive & kick... Ad nauseum. Nobody takes shots because they don't think it's up to them, or that it's not the best possible shot, so they pass, pass, pass, until the clock runs down and they throw a hail mary. Or worse, they get an open look finally, and brick it (ok, this might not be on Pop, but still :lol).

It's not just Lonnie, either. Keldon has been very disappointing to me in the few games I've watched this season - consistently passing up open and even lightly contested 3's in order to stupid-drive into a set defense, he doesn't trust his jumper at all. Neither does White for some reason, his confidence level is awful. Dejounte is the only "hungry" one, but it's easy when he's been handed the keys and can chuck his way into and out of games without repercussions.

Weird team right now; good pieces that aren't working as well as they could. I really hope they win 26+ games this season... I don't mind the sucking as long as it's purposeful.

KingKev
11-17-2021, 04:41 PM
Probably would look better without DJ taking his shots. Needs a heliocentric offense catered to him. Not enough plays run for him, pop needs to call timeout every possession and design plays for him. Watched the HOU game highlights 2 years ago, this guy is a legit scorer.

Yeah it's DJ's fault Walker and White can recreate a couple of great games 2 years later.

KingKev
11-17-2021, 04:42 PM
Very reminiscent of jonathon simmons but with less splash plays. Definitely a worthwhile prospect. Just hasn’t materialized. He should at least have been as good as will Barton and striving to become oladipo.

Simmons was better tbh

MultiTroll
11-17-2021, 09:16 PM
Would be interesting to see how another team and coach would use him.

spurraider21
11-17-2021, 09:39 PM
Lonnie has the tools man. I just don't know where that fire went.
samanic took it all with him

BillMc
11-17-2021, 10:30 PM
Would be interesting to see how another team and coach would use him.

I think you'll get a chance to see that next year.

slick'81
11-17-2021, 11:05 PM
I think you'll get a chance to see that next year.

meh,weve been saying that for 5 years now. Old fart still had one year remaining on his deal. No way he's resigning though

lefty20
11-18-2021, 12:31 AM
meh,weve been saying that for 5 years now. Old fart still had one year remaining on his deal. No way he's resigning though

I think he meant that you'll see Lonnie play for a different coach because he'll be on a different team.

BillMc
11-18-2021, 11:31 AM

I think Lonnie will be elesewhere next year. No idea of Pop's status or future.

I think he meant that you'll see Lonnie play for a different coach because he'll be on a different team.

This.

RC_Drunkford
11-18-2021, 11:51 AM
All he needs is a new coach and he will be much better. I don’t think his ceiling is that high anymore, but he could still turn into a Lou Williams or something like that

exstatic
11-18-2021, 12:36 PM
All he needs is a new coach and he will be much better. I don’t think his ceiling is that high anymore, but he could still turn into a Lou Williams or something like that

I’ve said for a while that despite his prodigious talent, his ceiling was bench spark, Lou, or Jamal Crawford. He just lacks the mettle to be a star.

KingKev
11-18-2021, 12:46 PM
I’ve said for a while that despite his prodigious talent, his ceiling was bench spark, Lou, or Jamal Crawford. He just lacks the mettle to be a star.

That is still pretty good company but he will probably bounce around the league before he gets there. I’m sure the Spurs will offer him something small and he will see better away.

Slippy
11-18-2021, 07:01 PM
Last game would of been the perfect game out of Lonnie. Was seriously active on d and rebounds. Just couldnt hit an an open shot on offense . Cost the team a chance at winning.

His three has become inconsistent and his mid range game has deserted him this season . Im expecting improvement.

Mr. Body
11-18-2021, 07:28 PM
It's not that Walker lacks the mettle or the spirit or the fire. It's that he's not very good at the end results of basketball. He's not a good shooter. He's not a good finisher. He doesn't make good defensive reads. You're acting like he's not trying, but he's trying. He's just not very good.

Atl Spur
11-18-2021, 10:08 PM
Lonnie is trash.....

spurraider21
11-18-2021, 10:19 PM
he will drop 20+ in his first game against SA

Slippy
11-18-2021, 10:21 PM
It's not that Walker lacks the mettle or the spirit or the fire. It's that he's not very good at the end results of basketball. He's not a good shooter. He's not a good finisher. He doesn't make good defensive reads. You're acting like he's not trying, but he's trying. He's just not very good

Have no fucking idea how you got from my last post Lonnie is lacking fire or doesnt try.

Pointed out his shooting needs to improve. Its regressed this season. At 23 he still got time on his side .

Atl Spur
11-18-2021, 10:22 PM

We rarely miss on players doing horrible here and blow up elsewhere...... check the history

Atl Spur
11-18-2021, 10:24 PM
Have no fucking idea how you got from my last post Lonnie is lacking fire or doesnt try.

Pointed out his shooting needs to improve. Its regressed this season. At 23 he still got time on his side .

He does lack fire and is way to passive.... he’s just happy to be on the team vs going all out! Primo is coming

BillMc
11-18-2021, 10:27 PM

Even if he does he'll give it all back on defense.

Degoat
11-18-2021, 10:34 PM
Remember when everyone thought Demar was holding Lonnie back, good times lmao jk Lonnie just can’t figure it out tbh he’s gotta find a way to carve out some sort of role or his time in the NBA will be short lived

Slippy
11-18-2021, 10:34 PM
He does lack fire and is way to passive.... he’s just happy to be on the team vs going all out! Primo is coming

If he cant hit an open shot or be a consistent outsisde threat..Then like the other poster said, he no better than aJonathan simmons and will be out of the league soon.

slick'81
11-18-2021, 10:36 PM
Spurs fo finally did something right and didnt waste money extending this guy

BackHome
11-18-2021, 11:10 PM
I don’t have much in Lonnie working out just to be in the league this long and still not know where to be on defense just wasn’t going to cut it. To me the bigger surprise has been White he is playing terrible he has gone from a legit starter to sixth man to maybe a decent bench player. Is he hurt or did the Spurs try to trade him and it didn’t work out and now he is bummed?

MultiTroll
11-18-2021, 11:15 PM
Should Lonnie just stop taking threes temporarily?
Like say for 5 games.
Just take a break. Drive, pass.

Sugus
11-18-2021, 11:58 PM
Remember when everyone thought Demar was holding Lonnie back, good times lmao jk Lonnie just can’t figure it out tbh he’s gotta find a way to carve out some sort of role or his time in the NBA will be short lived

DeMar was holding everyone back, not just Lonnie (rather, not Lonnie at all, specifically). The team, the franchise, himself. Good riddance.

Lonnie will carve out a role as a bench shooter on any team that's not the Spurs and that actually has offensive power, most likely on a team with a heliocentric player like Luka, Harden, etc, where he's not asked to create or handle as much. He'll be mostly limited to C&S's with the occasional drive, but I don't doubt that he'd do well in that role. Sad to see his time in SA might be coming to an end, but like with DDR, I'm also starting to think that it's for the best.

Chomag
11-19-2021, 03:14 PM
Damaged goods, Pop has destroyed this kids development beyond repair here and its time to move on. I do hope he can put it together under a new coach and team because I still think he has some special talent that can be tapped if he gets his mind right.

rjv
11-19-2021, 03:28 PM
last night was a microcosm of lonnie's brief career. he was aggressive and decisive for his first stint and then by the end of the game he was hesitant and passive. his shooting was hot and cold. lonnie just can't find any consistency.

exstatic
11-19-2021, 04:55 PM
Damaged goods, Pop has destroyed this kids development beyond repair here and its time to move on. I do hope he can put it together under a new coach and team because I still think he has some special talent that can be tapped if he gets his mind right.

Lonnie, although we didn’t know it at the time, was already a mental mess when he got here. To blame Pop for his mental fragility is the worst kind of crap.

You make a sword by super heating a metal bar, and repeatedly smashing it with a metal hammer. Sometimes the bar breaks, but you’ll never make one by tapping on the bar with a rubber mallet.

stephen jackson
11-20-2021, 10:48 PM
Sad I like Lonnie he will probably do great when he leaves us

exstatic
11-21-2021, 12:45 PM
Sad I like Lonnie he will probably do great when he leaves us

He might do better, but he’ll never be great. It isn’t in his make up. He’s too passive. Talent without the spark.

D-Robinson 50 fan
11-22-2021, 10:50 AM
Some folks have that dog in them or “it” factor. For all of Lonnie’s physical gifts and even his nice looking shooting form, he just isn’t that guy mentally.

on Reddit some guy tried to compare Lonnie to JR Smith and I laughed at that poster and told them no coach ever had to worry about JR being afraid to shoot or not having confidence in his ability. If Lonnie had half the confidence JR Smith had he could be a damn star but unfortunately he doesn’t.

KingKev
11-22-2021, 12:17 PM
Lohnnie has enough talent to eventually put it together in some capacity as an NBA player just probably won’t be as a Spur especially given the glut of 2s we already have waiting to take his minutes. Best to package him with Thad and try and get a first.

ismael-robert
11-22-2021, 04:08 PM
He'll blow up in year 6 as will samanic if Spurs want project players they gotta give them 6 yrs

tbdog
11-22-2021, 04:55 PM
Walker is young and talented. It can take some guards time to catch up. I think he is one of those players.

exstatic
11-22-2021, 06:51 PM
He'll blow up in year 6 as will samanic if Spurs want project players they gotta give them 6 yrs

We’re a small market. The difference between 4 years and 6 is like $10-15M vs. $40M.

Samanic will be back on the other side of the Atlantic next season, and will never play another NBA game after that. Lonnie will likely carve out a career as a bench scorer, like Ben McLemore. He lacks the drive/balls/whatever to ever be a star.

MultiTroll
11-28-2021, 05:11 PM
Spur Lonnie Walker IV proposes to longtime girlfriend and the bling envies Spurs championship rings (chron.com) (https://www.chron.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-san-antonio-Lonnie-Walker-engagement-ring-16592095.php)

a. Helps
b. makes no difference
c. hurts?

8sy21vd
11-28-2021, 05:51 PM
He has zero feel for the game on both ends. He has flashed some play making ability and still has his freakish athleticism so he'll find a home. Would be shocked if he's on the team next season, perhaps he's moved before the deadline with Thad and White (less likely).

KingKev
11-28-2021, 07:52 PM
He has zero feel for the game on both ends. He has flashed some play making ability and still has his freakish athleticism so he'll find a home. Would be shocked if he's on the team next season, perhaps he's moved before the deadline with Thad and White (less likely).

He has virtually zero value in a trade. He is a throw in the same way Luka would have been. Thad, White and Walker would land you K Love and a second at most.

jermaine
11-28-2021, 08:06 PM
He has virtually zero value in a trade. He is a throw in the same way Luka would have been. Thad, White and Walker would land you K Love and a second at most.

K. Love says he's not being traded. He wants to retire a Cav.

tmtcsc
11-28-2021, 11:53 PM
People are being too nice in here. Lonnie is straight trash. Not as bad as the euro sandwich but he's bad. The kid is lost and its no fault of the coaching staff or anyone else but himself. He doesn't know the difference between an injury and an ouchie. He's super soft and mentally weak. Its really sad to watch him & think back to when Manu & other players had to be dragged off the court when they got hurt. Actually its pathetic how soft he is. He banged his knee - an obvious bruise and nothing more & was looking at the bench like "uh oh, here we go again..". Dude plays ball because its a check. No passion, no competitive drive, just a nice looking jump shot. Four years in and he is what he is.

KingKev
11-28-2021, 11:58 PM
K. Love says he's not being traded. He wants to retire a Cav.

My argument was more that Walker has zero value league wide than a K Love trade. Not sure Cleveland cares too much about where he wants to retire if they can get out of his last year and half.

cd021
11-29-2021, 12:29 AM

Walker isn't a project like Samanic was. Walker simply hasn't progressed from year 3 to year 4 when 1st round talents should be rapidly improving.

Samanic could still figure it out but team's ain't giving a player 6 years to figure it out, plus his work ethic was questionable so they decided to cut bait sooner rather than later.

cd021
11-29-2021, 12:32 AM
He's far to reliant on threes, which he's shooting 28% on, and far to little on getting to the basket and getting into the paint. He's probably never going to be an efficient offensive player with that shot selection and he really doesn't provide much else besides and some playmaking.

BillMc
11-29-2021, 01:59 AM
Lonnie's performances are wildly inconsistent on offense and sadly very consistent on defense.

Dejounte
11-29-2021, 07:02 AM
Lonnie has no confidence in his handles. That’s the only reason why he takes two dribbles towards the basket, sees the opposing player in his way, then backs out immediately. Plus, he seems to be really afraid of contact.

KobesAchilles
11-30-2021, 12:36 PM
Can we just cut Lonnie out of the rotation? I rather have Primo than Lonnie. I told ya'll that Primo was a pick that made either Lonnie or Murray expendable. Murray rose to the challenge. Mr. 28% clusterfuck meanwhile is maybe the worst rotation player in the league.

TDomination
11-30-2021, 12:45 PM
Man i'm really rooting for Lonnie to pan out but everytime i see some positivity come from him, like 5 negative things come right after that.

I'm still holding out hope that he figures it out. Like others say, he needs to forget the 3 ball and create a Manu mentality of just drive to the bucket. But if he's mentally soft, i don't think that will change. we'll see.

exstatic
11-30-2021, 12:47 PM
I liked his effort on D in the second half. His offense was MIA, but he still busted ass on the other end.

He’s going to be lucky to be offered anything above minimum by anyone if he does right his ship pretty soon.

R. DeMurre
11-30-2021, 01:41 PM
Has any young/developing player significantly improved as a shooter on the Spurs in recent years? As a team, the Spurs are currently dead last in 3ptFGA per game and FTA per game, they're dead last in FT%, 16th in 3pt%, and 23rd in TS%. There's a double whammy going on here statistically-- they don't take nearly enough valuable shots, and even when they do they're not terribly efficient at making them.

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/traditional/?sort=FG3_PCT&dir=-1

TDomination
11-30-2021, 02:52 PM
Has any young/developing player significantly improved as a shooter on the Spurs in recent years? As a team, the Spurs are currently dead last in 3ptFGA per game and FTA per game, they're dead last in FT%, 16th in 3pt%, and 23rd in TS%. There's a double whammy going on here statistically-- they don't take nearly enough valuable shots, and even when they do they're not terribly efficient at making them.

I remember in 2016 spurs were last in 3pt FGA but 1st in 3pt FG%.

So the attempts part is nothing new but the inefficiency is definitely much worse.

KobesAchilles
11-30-2021, 04:54 PM

But we have the shot doctor in Chip :lmao

Chinook
11-30-2021, 07:40 PM
I don't understand why so many folks are looking at last night as a particular reason to hate on Walker. Overall, he was very good. He just didn't score well. I totally understand that he hasn't been very good all season, but last night was one of his better games.

XDT76
12-01-2021, 03:20 AM
But we have the shot doctor in Chip :lmao

He is a shot doctor , he see their issue and help them to make correction. Whether the players adhere to it or practice on it is another matter. Its just like any other doctor, if you do not follow the medication or physio therapy as advice by the doctor you are not gonna get any better.

KobesAchilles
12-01-2021, 07:13 AM
I don't understand why so many folks are looking at last night as a particular reason to hate on Walker. Overall, he was very good. He just didn't score well. I totally understand that he hasn't been very good all season, but last night was one of his better games.
That’s exact why we are hating on him. Bc this was one of his better games. If this is his good game then why tf should he get an extension?

KobesAchilles
12-01-2021, 07:16 AM
He is a shot doctor , he see their issue and help them to make correction. Whether the players adhere to it or practice on it is another matter. Its just like any other doctor, if you do not follow the medication or physio therapy as advice by the doctor you are not gonna get any better.
Nobody on our team that we drafted can make a 3 at a good clip. Murray, White, KJ, Lonnie all suck at shooting 3s. I’m starting to think he only knows how to teach midrange shots. Murray has clearly listened and put in the work. But he still can’t hit 3s. That’s weird to me. I don’t think Chip knows how to teach them a 3ball

exstatic
12-01-2021, 07:29 AM
Nobody on our team that we drafted can make a 3 at a good clip. Murray, White, KJ, Lonnie all suck at shooting 3s. I’m starting to think he only knows how to teach midrange shots. Murray has clearly listened and put in the work. But he still can’t hit 3s. That’s weird to me. I don’t think Chip knows how to teach them a 3ball
KJ is shooting 40%. Vassell is shooting 39%. Lonnie, in the past, has shot about 37% before this year, but not getting his extension just broke him.

Atl Spur
12-01-2021, 07:36 AM
No two people are exactly alike, some take longer to grasp it and some never do! Shooting is valuable & highly sought after because its a complex skill ( with many variables to take into consideration ) not easy to master! History has shown us that..... WRIGHT?

XDT76
12-01-2021, 09:31 AM
I am actually starting to think whether the issue lies with Spurs strength and conditioning. That's why there are constantly playing badly in 3Q. Also Poeltl, White and KJ seems to be carrying a fair bit of body fats at the beginning of the season. 3pts definitely requires quite a fair bit of leg strength. A proper PF would properly help in providing help defence in the interior instead of the whole team constantly collapsing then rushing back to defend the 3ptrs. They would also do not need to keep competing rebound with players who are 4 to 6 inches taller.

exstatic
12-01-2021, 10:25 AM
I am actually starting to think whether the issue lies with Spurs strength and conditioning. That's why there are constantly playing badly in 3Q. Also Poeltl, White and KJ seems to be carrying a fair bit of body fats at the beginning of the season. 3pts definitely requires quite a fair bit of leg strength. A proper PF would properly help in providing help defence in the interior instead of the whole team constantly collapsing then rushing back to defend the 3ptrs. They would also do not need to keep competing rebound with players who are 4 to 6 inches taller.
No top level PF is suddenly going to appear to save us, and that collapsing defense is the precursor to a defensive rotation. The rules changes make it impossible to fight thru a pick, so you have to drop a weak side defender into the paint to maintain numbers, when the guard gets picked. They were tired in the third, because of the 3/4 court trap. They haven’t been playing that recently, so their 3rd quarters have been better. They have thrown out a variant, though, like a 3/4 court zone. It’s less tight, but you still have to be mindful bringing the ball up, and we’re burning their shot clock down to 10 or 11, and leaving less time for them to execute their offense. It worked like a charm against the Wizards. If you’re careless, you can cough up a turnover, which causes the shot clock to run down, and it’s not so physically taxing as an actual press.

poopbox
12-01-2021, 11:19 PM

3 points 2 assist 5 rebounds in 24 minutes is one of his better games :cry

tmtcsc
12-02-2021, 01:57 AM
KJ is shooting 40%. Vassell is shooting 39%. Lonnie, in the past, has shot about 37% before this year, but not getting his extension just broke him.

Nah, its the other way around. He's been broken for a while, thus no extension. No heart and not smart. He has a nice looking form on his jumpers but he can't finish efficiently when getting to the rim. He's not much of a defender either....he just isn't a pro. Doesn't get it.

When he exploded against the Rockets for 28 points (including 19 in the 4th quarter) a couple of years ago, I thought he might be a superstar in the making. Of course, the next game against Sacramento he scored 2 points on 1 for 5 shooting. That is pretty much a microcosm of his career thus far. Superstar one moment, M.I.A the next. He was showing fans and the coaching staff who he was & we didn't want to believe it. Hell no, you don't give him an extension. Smartest FO decision this club has made in a while.

KingKev
12-02-2021, 07:53 AM
As it stands now PATFO is going to have a hard time extending a qualifying offer with the backlog we already have at the guard spot.

Chinook
12-02-2021, 08:00 AM
3 points 2 assist 5 rebounds in 24 minutes is one of his better games :cry

Yeah he played great defense against a star. He's had games where he's scored 17 points but been worse overall.

Dverde
12-02-2021, 01:03 PM
It also feels like he forgot he can sky and dunk at the rim over defenders. I hoped one day he would be a good defender, but he just average at best. Too bad! I wouldn’t call him a bust, just a disappointment.

Sugus
12-02-2021, 02:32 PM
He'll get it, I have little doubts that he'll manage to stick around the league. I only doubt whether it's the Spurs he ends up sticking on. I hope he does, but can understand the hesitance, he hasn't been playing well this season sadly.

KingKev
12-02-2021, 03:47 PM
He'll get it, I have little doubts that he'll manage to stick around the league. I only doubt whether it's the Spurs he ends up sticking on. I hope he does, but can understand the hesitance, he hasn't been playing well this season sadly.

Agreed too much raw ability to not find a place in the NBA. I really don’t think the Spurs mishandled this one; if anything, given what we know about Walker, ie. his personality and his personal background I would have thought San Antonio would have been a great place for him to thrive and put it together. Unfortunately with the backlog at the guard spot his time as a Spur is wearing thin. I’m sure Pop will be happy to put in a good word with one of his NBA counterparts on Walker’s behalf. Could see him landing somewhere like Atlanta, GS or Milwaukee next year.

exstatic
12-02-2021, 08:20 PM
It also feels like he forgot he can sky and dunk at the rim over defenders. I hoped one day he would be a good defender, but he just average at best. Too bad! I wouldn’t call him a bust, just a disappointment.

He’s a pretty good on ball defender, but is below average in transition and off the ball. His rotations stink.

exstatic
12-02-2021, 08:26 PM

I think he’ll be the new version of Ben McLemore, a journeyman bench scorer who bounces around the league. Teams will take a chance, hoping to tap into potential that he’ll never reach.

KingKev
12-12-2021, 04:19 PM
https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1470125095758745603

Manu should focus his efforts elsewhere

RC_Drunkford
12-12-2021, 09:27 PM

Keldon is 9th in the NBA in 3-point percentage. What are you talking about?

John B
12-12-2021, 11:46 PM
Walker has been playing good lately. I’m liking his aggressiveness. He just needs to string those together and stay consistent. I almost gave up on DJ also until this year. I think Lonnie will be okay as a sixth man.

Atl Spur
12-13-2021, 12:09 AM
Walker has a low bbiq..

John B
12-13-2021, 12:13 AM
Walker has a low bbiq..

If he had a higher Bball IQ, Spurs wouldn’t be able to afford him come free agency. He’s okay at 6th-7th man.

Atl Spur
12-13-2021, 12:40 AM
Sure they would.......they have his bird rights! They someone with a better bbiq....

KobesAchilles
12-13-2021, 05:06 AM
Keldon is 9th in the NBA in 3-point percentage. What are you talking about?
I hate when people use just FG% to make an argument. The dude is barely averaging 1 made three a game and he is getting WIDE open looks. He's not even close to the top 50 in three pointers made. He's made 33 all year long. That puts him 20 made 3s from number 50. If one made 3 a game is what we are paying Chip for then yes he's doing a fantastic job.

exstatic
12-13-2021, 07:28 AM
I hate when people use just FG% to make an argument. The dude is barely averaging 1 made three a game and he is getting WIDE open looks. He's not even close to the top 50 in three pointers made. He's made 33 all year long. That puts him 20 made 3s from number 50. If one made 3 a game is what we are paying Chip for then yes he's doing a fantastic job.

Something’s happened recently. He’s made 3 in each of the last 2 games, and as Sean pointed out, his FTs even look better.

KobesAchilles
12-13-2021, 07:42 AM
Something’s happened recently. He’s made 3 in each of the last 2 games, and as Sean pointed out, his FTs even look better.
Makes me wonder what they do in the offseason work outs. Are they just out of shape in the beginning of the year and are shooting on dead legs? Is it a problem with our strength and conditioning coach?

exstatic
12-13-2021, 07:49 AM
Makes me wonder what they do in the offseason work outs. Are they just out of shape in the beginning of the year and are shooting on dead legs? Is it a problem with our strength and conditioning coach?

KJ was one of the Covid kids last year. He said that even when he came back, he was out of breath quickly. He may have finally just recovered and gotten his wind back.

KobesAchilles
12-13-2021, 10:23 AM
KJ was one of the Covid kids last year. He said that even when he came back, he was out of breath quickly. He may have finally just recovered and gotten his wind back.
Nah he wasn't complaining about Covid issues in the offseason. Last year during the season yes but he got his wind back by the end of it

rjv
12-13-2021, 10:32 AM
yeah. the recovery from Covid for athletes can take some time and that has been observed amongst many players in different leagues. the bulls are going to have some problems even when they get their full roster back.

MannyIsGod
12-13-2021, 10:35 AM

I mean if youw ant more context than percentage you might want to start off with the fact hatt he only hit 4 threes in the first 11 games. So he's made 29 in the last 15 games which is almost double 1 per game.

MannyIsGod
12-13-2021, 10:38 AM
IMO Keldon's good shooting is due to one thing: Confidence. He started off the year ice cold and it spiraled to the point where he was passing up shots and refusing to take them at all. The fact that he's currently in so high in percentage is a testament to how dramatic that turnaround has been for him. People need to give these players an entire season to see where they are at, but I am very pleased with where Keldon, a 30th pick in the draft, currently is..

KobesAchilles
12-13-2021, 12:45 PM
I mean if youw ant more context than percentage you might want to start off with the fact hatt he only hit 4 threes in the first 11 games. So he's made 29 in the last 15 games which is almost double 1 per game.
So which Keldon is the real Keldon? You can't just ignore half the season. What if he goes back to sucking? He needs to be making near 2 a game for the rest of the year for his Fg% stat to really matter. Imo anyways. If you aren't making 140 threes in a season (or 1.75 a game) then to me you aren't on my 3 point list. If Keldon keeps up this pace then I agree he is doing his job at a high level. But otherwise, no point bringing up that he's a great shooter

John B
12-13-2021, 02:57 PM
Dude should be talking about Lonnie on this thread, not Keldon :lol

I’m no stats guy, but I think Lonnie is shooting the lights out. I just feel it’s money every time he hurl those 3’s.

JeffDuncan
12-13-2021, 03:32 PM
Dude should be talking about Lonnie on this thread, not Keldon :lol

I’m no stats guy, but I think Lonnie is shooting the lights out. I just feel it’s money every time he hurl those 3’s.

Statistically, Lonnie is shooting .295 on 3s, at 5 attempts per game. It’s money if you’re betting the under on total points scored. Lol. He should focus on the midrange, and on putting the dadgum ball in the dadgum basket on his fancy drives.

Sugus
12-13-2021, 05:52 PM
Statistically, Lonnie is shooting .295 on 3s, at 5 attempts per game. It’s money if you’re betting the under on total points scored. Lol. He should focus on the midrange, and on putting the dadgum ball in the dadgum basket on his fancy drives.

Yeah, he's shooting awfully since the start of the season for some reason, way below his shooting form of last year (haven't checked %s though, maybe it's closer than I think, but the dropoff has been noticeable even to the eye-test). But I disagree, he definitely needs to keep shooting 3's; not only because the only way to get out of a shooting slump is to shoot your way out of it, instead of starting to pass up shots and shy away from your game, but also because he's one of the few relatively good shooters on the team, so we need him to take those shots. Lastly, it's better for him value-wise to keep shooting even if he misses, as 3pt shooting is unarguably the most sought-after skill in the modern game, and a necessity for any guard.

His drives have been getting a lot better though, more consistent at least, there's definitely Manu influence there and I'm glad for it. Might take a while for him to flesh it out, but I like the development there.

wildbill2u
12-13-2021, 06:04 PM
I keep rooting for Lonnie to improve to the point where discussions like this are moot. He is so damn graceful when he drives to the basket. But remember when he first came into the league. He'd make one of those great graceful drives and then miss the layup. (DJ did the same). But he's better at layups now, at least. And he doesn't lood so lost on defense. If he could take his athleticism to the defensive side, he'd be more of an asset. Shooting 3s isn't as difficult as some think when the strength and athleticism is there. Muscle memory is simply a matter of shooting hundreds of practice shots per day. Ice became the best shooter of his day by simply practicing shooting all day every day.

lefty20
12-13-2021, 06:16 PM

His shot is looking different compared to last year and early this year. The arc is noticeably tighter. It used to be a moon shot before. I'm sure we're witnessing the fruits of his labor with Coach Chip.
Otoh, he's completely abandoned midrange shots. He'll eventually have to start taking some once teams start running him off the 3pt line, assuming he keeps hitting them at a decent clip. Lets hope he's worked with Chip on that shot as well.

MannyIsGod
12-13-2021, 06:39 PM
So which Keldon is the real Keldon? You can't just ignore half the season. What if he goes back to sucking? He needs to be making near 2 a game for the rest of the year for his Fg% stat to really matter. Imo anyways. If you aren't making 140 threes in a season (or 1.75 a game) then to me you aren't on my 3 point list. If Keldon keeps up this pace then I agree he is doing his job at a high level. But otherwise, no point bringing up that he's a great shooter

I doubt the Keldon we're seeing now is the real Keldon as he's shot over .500 from 3 the last 2 months. But I do think his shot looks good, so if he can shoot over .400 for the season I'll be happy.

I definitely agree that we don't know if this is sustainable long term.

KobesAchilles
12-13-2021, 08:35 PM
I doubt the Keldon we're seeing now is the real Keldon as he's shot over .500 from 3 the last 2 months. But I do think his shot looks good, so if he can shoot over .400 for the season I'll be happy.

I definitely agree that we don't know if this is sustainable long term.
I would be really happy if he could do that. At this point, that's all I want him focused on. he helps the offense so much if he just hits open 3s. I just have to accept this year that Pop is always gonna play him out of position. I just hope that doesn't stunt his growth

John B
12-13-2021, 11:15 PM
His shot is looking different compared to last year and early this year. The arc is noticeably tighter. It used to be a moon shot before. I'm sure we're witnessing the fruits of his labor with Coach Chip.
Otoh, he's completely abandoned midrange shots. He'll eventually have to start taking some once teams start running him off the 3pt line, assuming he keeps hitting them at a decent clip. Lets hope he's worked with Chip on that shot as well.

Lonnie’s so fast he blows by his defender every time. Yeah I’m really excited with the fruits of working with Manu, that dog mentality, when to take over games. Yup Lonnie is the perfect Padawan to Obi Wan Ginobili :ihit

lefty20
12-13-2021, 11:27 PM
Lonnie’s so fast he blows by his defender every time. Yeah I’m really excited with the fruits of working with Manu, that dog mentality, when to take over games. Yup Lonnie is the perfect Padawan to Obi Wan Ginobili :ihit

My response was to the conversation regarding the recent bump in Keldon's 3p accuracy.

But I do agree about Lonnie working with Manu. There's no reason why shouldn't be more aggressive with his athleticism and he has shown some fairly good finishing moves. As to his jump shot, I've no idea why its off as badly as it is. Maybe it's just about confidence. If so, then consistently getting easy buckets at the rim should bump that up a bit.

poopbox
12-14-2021, 01:04 AM
Thought this thread was about Lonnie but according to this last page I am wrong :wtf

tbdog
12-14-2021, 10:05 PM
My response was to the conversation regarding the recent bump in Keldon's 3p accuracy.

But I do agree about Lonnie working with Manu. There's no reason why shouldn't be more aggressive with his athleticism and he has shown some fairly good finishing moves. As to his jump shot, I've no idea why its off as badly as it is. Maybe it's just about confidence. If so, then consistently getting easy buckets at the rim should bump that up a bit.

His shot looks balanced on live tv. I actually think it's going in most of the time. Maybe the arc is a little low? Unsure.

exstatic
12-15-2021, 09:28 AM
His shot looks balanced on live tv. I actually think it's going in most of the time. Maybe the arc is a little low? Unsure.

He adjusted it, since it formerly was so high, his shot would go out of the TV picture.

KobesAchilles
12-15-2021, 09:52 AM
Lonnie is shooting 30% from 3 in his last 10 games. The slump is still there. The good news is that he has had 4 games of shooting over .500 from the field in these last 10 games compared to 3 all the other ones combined. But the thing about Lonnie is he is so useless when he isn't scoring the ball that there's still no point extending him. Him and Bryn are cheap labor for what they provide but both can easily be replaced. If Lonnie is no longer on a cheap contract then he really doesn't have any value to the team. 4 years in and the question is still there. What does Lonnie do that's really good? What is his niche?

Sugus
12-15-2021, 04:34 PM
Lonnie is shooting 30% from 3 in his last 10 games. The slump is still there. The good news is that he has had 4 games of shooting over .500 from the field in these last 10 games compared to 3 all the other ones combined. But the thing about Lonnie is he is so useless when he isn't scoring the ball that there's still no point extending him. Him and Bryn are cheap labor for what they provide but both can easily be replaced. If Lonnie is no longer on a cheap contract then he really doesn't have any value to the team. 4 years in and the question is still there. What does Lonnie do that's really good? What is his niche?

Well, you pretty much answered your own question, didn't you?

Lonnie's good for scoring.

Is he really good at scoring? Not at this point, at least.

Is the door still open for him to get better at it? Most definitely.

Do the Spurs think it's worth it to keep developing him into the realization of his potential? That's the real question...

KobesAchilles
12-15-2021, 04:52 PM
Well, you pretty much answered your own question, didn't you?

Lonnie's good for scoring.

Is he really good at scoring? Not at this point, at least.

Is the door still open for him to get better at it? Most definitely.

Do the Spurs think it's worth it to keep developing him into the realization of his potential? That's the real question...
Yeah but you can always find empty calorie bench guys for points who don't play defense. Like if Lonnie wants $15 million next season then no thanks. I wouldn't even want him for Poeltl money. The dude scores once every 3 games. He's not even good for scoring. I know everyone shits on Forbes (and rightfully so) but there isn't much difference between him and Lonnie in terms of production (both on offense and defense). There's a pretty strong case that replacing Lonnie with Forbes doesn't really hurt us in any way. For Forbes level money, I would re-sign him and hope he can improve, you can't even say continue to improve bc he hasn't improved at all this year. A one year 5 million deal or a 2 for 12 deal. That's about it.

Ironically he would thrive though on the Lakers and I can see him going there next year

MannyIsGod
12-15-2021, 06:28 PM
I do think Lonnie was pretty close to losing his spot in the rotation to Primo before this recent surge. Maybe that was finally a kick in the pants that he needed. There aren't going to be enough minutes at his position to just let him flounder forever. I don't think he'll last the year in the rotation without playing at least this level. Devin needs minutes and is a much better player, Tre deserves minutes, and Primo will probably get more minutes as the year goes on.

exstatic
12-15-2021, 06:35 PM
I do think Lonnie was pretty close to losing his spot in the rotation to Primo before this recent surge. Maybe that was finally a kick in the pants that he needed. There aren't going to be enough minutes at his position to just let him flounder forever. I don't think he'll last the year in the rotation without playing at least this level. Devin needs minutes and is a much better player, Tre deserves minutes, and Primo will probably get more minutes as the year goes on.

Devin should absolutely be playing over him, but I get that they’re trying to see if there is any reason to keep him after this season. In my mind, Forbes money as a ceiling, and only if he gets his 3 point shooting % back up in the high 30s. If he doesn’t, I wouldn’t even give him a QO.

MultiTroll
12-17-2021, 11:44 PM
Fabulous game winner vs Jazz.

duncan2150
12-18-2021, 06:20 AM
He's playing pretty well lately, he needs some adjustments but good to see him playing like that.

KingKev
12-18-2021, 10:07 AM
Seller

exstatic
12-18-2021, 11:15 AM
He's playing pretty well lately, he needs some adjustments but good to see him playing like that.

He’s up and down, 20 points one night, 3 the next.

slick'81
12-18-2021, 12:25 PM
He’s up and down, 20 points one night, 3 the next.

no. Hes hit double figures 4/5 games . He was hurt vs the hornets

MultiTroll
12-18-2021, 12:26 PM

yes would be good to see him keep it up.

JuneJive
12-18-2021, 01:11 PM
Just when I thought I was out, he pulls me back in!

Ice009
12-18-2021, 07:00 PM
Man, I really like Lonnie. I've almost given up on him numerous times, but for whatever reason I really like him. I just hope he can keep this up. I'd rather he stay on the Spurs and reach his full potential, or close to it.

TDMVPDPOY
12-18-2021, 08:51 PM
too inconsistent, he will get the same offer or less then the other other 2 turds on the roster aka white/murray 16m a year

exstatic
12-19-2021, 12:05 AM
Man, I really like Lonnie. I've almost given up on him numerous times, but for whatever reason I really like him. I just hope he can keep this up. I'd rather he stay on the Spurs and reach his full potential, or close to it.

He’s about at his potential now. He’s never going to be a star. Best case is something like Ben McLemore, a bench bucket getter. He’s a good guy, so he’ll carve out a nice long NBA career as a 16-17 point scorer, health permitting.

ismael-robert
12-19-2021, 01:30 AM
Hasnt hit yr 6 yet be patient

John B
12-19-2021, 02:37 AM
I think Lonnie has only skimmed the surface. Already he’s attacking the rim with contact, even going against the DPOY, and closing the game, suspiciously his confidence as a result of working with Manu. He’s a willing student of the game, and would only learn so much from Manu. Again I think he will still improve a lot under Manu’s watchful eyes. It’s still very early in his career, only 23. He’s very skilled without a doubt and oozing with athleticism. And Manu has just started to unlock Lonnie’s potential. I see him as Jordan Clarkson type ultimately.

Em-City
12-19-2021, 06:35 AM
I see him as Jordan Clarkson type ultimately.

I was about to say the same thing!

Ice009
12-19-2021, 07:43 AM
I'd be happy with Jordan Clarkson type of outcome if that is the player he ends up being. I like that much, much more than Ben McLemore type of ceiling. Maybe Manu really is rubbing off on him and doing a great job teaching him.

exstatic
12-19-2021, 09:29 AM
I think Lonnie has only skimmed the surface. Already he’s attacking the rim with contact, even going against the DPOY, and closing the game, suspiciously his confidence as a result of working with Manu. He’s a willing student of the game, and would only learn so much from Manu. Again I think he will still improve a lot under Manu’s watchful eyes. It’s still very early in his career, only 23. He’s very skilled without a doubt and oozing with athleticism. And Manu has just started to unlock Lonnie’s potential. I see him as Jordan Clarkson type ultimately.

He AVOIDS contact. Always has. Even on that last shot, he leaned 45 degrees and double pumped, rather than throw his body into Gobert to create space.

tbdog
12-19-2021, 09:49 AM
He AVOIDS contact. Always has. Even on that last shot, he leaned 45 degrees and double pumped, rather than throw his body into Gobert to create space.

I'm hearing that acrobatic finishers are the future in the league, due so the new emphasis of rules. Bigs are now able to use more body and offensive players are not getting away from constant push offs. It was interesting what I'm reading.

Dejounte
12-19-2021, 09:57 AM
Clutch shots drive narratives. If Lonnie missed, the conversation would be the polar opposite. The truth is always in the middle ground. I’m happy Lonnie is doing well, but he needs to do it for at least ten more games to show me he’s truly grown up. A dynamic 6th man scorer would be great to secure for the foreseeable future. It’s better than having a 1 dimensional 3 pt shooter a la Patty. What we haven’t had in a while is a “yang” to the starting line-up’s “yin”. The bench is always doing its best not to fuck shit up when their true job is to change the pace and give energy.

exstatic
12-19-2021, 10:42 AM
I'm hearing that acrobatic finishers are the future in the league, due so the new emphasis of rules. Bigs are now able to use more body and offensive players are not getting away from constant push offs. It was interesting what I'm reading.

I’m not talking about pushing with hands, or using a chicken wing. He’s big enough to do the same things that work very well for Keldon, body bump on a retreating defender, and an easy layup, instead of a trick shot.

John B
12-19-2021, 11:16 AM

I’m not good with uploading video clips, but I watched the play over and over again. There was no pump from Lonnie but went “right unto Rudy” as the Jazz commentator gave the play by play, even very reminiscent of Manu moves but instead with a right hand instead of left. But the only thing I’m saying is I think we’re starting to see Manu’s influence on his game and especially “attitude” and not to disappear in crucial moments, and Lonnie is trying to learn more to improve his game, and only good things will come out from that. Even Pop letting Lonnie close the game as Manu did. Well I’m just hopeful as a fan and excited for Lonnie as he has been one of my favorite young players.

ismael-robert
12-19-2021, 11:21 AM
Keldon is solid Lonnie thin

exstatic
12-19-2021, 11:34 AM
Keldon is solid Lonnie thin

Lonnie’s not by any stretch thin. Of all the guards and wings on the team, he’s second only to Keldon in mass. He’s quite muscular, he just doesn’t leverage it.

John B
12-19-2021, 11:44 AM
I'd be happy with Jordan Clarkson type of outcome if that is the player he ends up being. I like that much, much more than Ben McLemore type of ceiling. Maybe Manu really is rubbing off on him and doing a great job teaching him.

I think even more than Jordan Clarkson, if I could correct myself, but in the footsteps of the great Manu himself, eventually closing the game with the SL. That was potentially the last play and Pop gave it to Lonnie to win it for him. Then, putting Lonnie on Mitchell on the last defensive play. That was showing great confidence on Lonnie by Pop.

exstatic
12-19-2021, 12:01 PM
I’m not good with uploading video clips, but I watched the play over and over again. There was no pump from Lonnie but went “right unto Rudy” as the Jazz commentator gave the play by play, even very reminiscent of Manu moves but instead with a right hand instead of left. But the only thing I’m saying is I think we’re starting to see Manu’s influence on his game and especially “attitude” and not to disappear in crucial moments, and Lonnie is trying to learn more to improve his game, and only good things will come out from that. Even Pop letting Lonnie close the game as Manu did. Well I’m just hopeful as a fan and excited for Lonnie as he has been one of my favorite young players.

https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1472081701086142464?s=21

offset formation
12-19-2021, 12:22 PM

I agree with some of this but want to correct the record on how that last play was drawn up. Lonnie said after the game that Pop drew it up for Dejounte. Lonnie says he recognized early that the other team knew it would be for Dejounte and were going to take him out of the play so he reacted by taking the ball to the hole. That is definitely a development in his game that can be attributed to Manu though. Just don't want the mischaracterization Pop had anything to do with giving it to Lonnie as a drawn up play to be what people think happened. It didn't.

Pop is the moron that drew up a play the other team knew was coming. Which if you see with the Spurs in-bound plays or end of game plays is a trend with Pop. Lots of in the box, old-school, uninspired coaching.

exstatic
12-19-2021, 12:54 PM
I agree with some of this but want to correct the record on how that last play was drawn up. Lonnie said after the game that Pop drew it up for Dejounte. Lonnie says he recognized early that the other team knew it would be for Dejounte and were going to take him out of the play so he reacted by taking the ball to the hole. That is definitely a development in his game that can be attributed to Manu though. Just don't want the mischaracterization Pop had anything to do with giving it to Lonnie as a drawn up play to be what people think happened. It didn't.

Pop is the moron that drew up a play the other team knew was coming. Which if you see with the Spurs in-bound plays or end of game plays is a trend with Pop. Lots of in the box, old-school, uninspired coaching.

Yeah, and Phil Jackson was an idiot for years, drawing up plays for MJ and Kobe, when the other team clearly would know they were coming. You put the ball into the hands of your horse. The fact that Lonnie was able to recognize that Utah was playing to prevent? That was Pops coaching, too.

Dex
12-19-2021, 01:20 PM
Lonnie's on a good run, but his future with the Spurs (and maybe in the league) depends on him keeping it up.

I've given up on him ever being an All-Star level talent, but this moment showed he can have All-Star level moments. That is probably the most tantalizing (and frustrating) thing about him.

Hopefully this game-winner continues to build his confidence, because we need him to be a guy that can score consistently.

I'd be fine with him only averaging 12 points a game as long as he was consistently between 10-15 points. He has been more of a player of a player that will average 12 by posting 22, 2, 6, 25, 5.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
12-19-2021, 01:53 PM

watching this a few times i'm on the fence about lonnie's physicality on this play (although he notoriously avoids contact)

in theory he could have run his shoulder right into gobert (who knows if they would have given him the foul) ... but he did get the off arm into him, then went pretty much straight up ... the issue was not so much lonnie avoiding contact but gobert being so big and physical he just erased lonnies initial little attempt to bump/create space

either way you slice it, it worked ...

(meaning we fell off the L Train again :depressed)

John B
12-19-2021, 02:30 PM
Yeah, and Phil Jackson was an idiot for years, drawing up plays for MJ and Kobe, when the other team clearly would know they were coming. You put the ball into the hands of your horse. The fact that Lonnie was able to recognize that Utah was playing to prevent? That was Pops coaching, too.

Agree. Everyone knows it’s going to Dejaunte hence drawing his defense out, while getting an equally capable to finish. That’s called coaching.

bluebellmaniac
12-19-2021, 03:02 PM

After watching this, he did the right thing in leaning outward. If he leans in, that shot is easily blocked.

exstatic
12-19-2021, 05:02 PM
After watching this, he did the right thing in leaning outward. If he leans in, that shot is easily blocked.

The fact that he doesn’t use his body like Keldon does, and he could, leads to him having to lean out 45 degrees and throw up what is almost a trick shot.

A year or two ago, he would burst past his defender, but miss open layups because he wouldn’t check his momentum with a light body bump on a defender.

MultiTroll
12-21-2021, 12:58 AM
3 point shot is broken.
So is Whites.

I propose he just drives and shoots or drives and dishes for about 5 games.
Take a break from bricking treys.

John B
12-21-2021, 01:18 AM
3 point shot is broken.
So is Whites.

I propose he just drives and shoots or drives and dishes for about 5 games.
Take a break from bricking treys.

Nan shooters shoot. If he’s going to shy from shooting, he would lose the edge that he’s just starting to learn.

Max_Spurs
12-21-2021, 10:11 AM
The issue with Lonnie is not as much his shot as his poor baketball IQ. The guy is a spectator out there, he's probably the least active player off ball, offense and especially defense. Poor decision making, poor on ball and even more so , off ball defense.

exstatic
12-21-2021, 05:50 PM
The issue with Lonnie is not as much his shot as his poor baketball IQ. The guy is a spectator out there, he's probably the least active player off ball, offense and especially defense. Poor decision making, poor on ball and even more so , off ball defense.

He’s been ballin out the last 10 days or so. Much less hesitant.

MannyIsGod
12-21-2021, 07:04 PM
I'm very happy with the progress Lonnie has made as of late. Last night he had a play where he split two defenders and then got a dunk. Dude's aggression has amped up and thats always been his number one problem. Yeah, he shies away from contact but he's never going to be like Keldon in that regard. I am really happy with the progress he's making though.

spurraider21
12-21-2021, 07:39 PM
probably as a result of his recent gleague stint

KingKev
12-21-2021, 08:00 PM

hopefully to get his trade value up

BillMc
12-21-2021, 08:06 PM
How'd his defense look against the clippers?

MultiTroll
12-21-2021, 08:25 PM
probably as a result of his recent gleague stint
:rollin

That's called coaching.

Max_Spurs
12-21-2021, 11:53 PM

He's been shooting the ball pretty well (apart from the Clippers game) which is the least of my concerns about him. Yesterday he came in 4 min till the end of the 1st quarter and came out 8:35 till the end of the 2nd (after Pop was forced to take a timeout, which Lonnie didn't come back from, and was replaced by Bryn). That was probably the worst basketball I've seen in a while, from start to finish. He was non existant, like some separate entity from the entire team. To top all that, during the last part of that period, he made some really terrrible decisions that caused Pop and the bench huge frustration, simply because they love him and want him to be successfull. It began with him driving through the entire defense at the beggining of the shot clock, when he's got a great defender on him and Ibaka who is waiting to block his shot. Seconds later, a fastbreak which resulted in a 2 vs 1 situation, Vassell is completely alone under the basket for an easy 2, instead Lonnie is making a Michael Jordan impersonation, which ends up being another lost opportunity. One minute later he is in some sort of a dream land, forgets his man, gets beaten on the drive, doesnt help the team and Pop in forced to take a TO. I don't see a real progress in that regard, which is much more important than the shot. Tre Jones, for example, is a valuable player for us despite not having a reliable shot, just cause he's making the basics well.

exstatic
12-22-2021, 12:04 AM
He's been shooting the ball pretty well (apart from the Clippers game) which is the least of my concerns about him. Yesterday he came in 4 min till the end of the 1st quarter and came out 8:35 till the end of the 2nd (after Pop was forced to take a timeout, which Lonnie didn't come back from, and was replaced by Bryn). That was probably the worst basketball I've seen in a while, from start to finish. He was non existant, like some separate entity from the entire team. To top all that, during the last part of that period, he made some really terrrible decisions that caused Pop and the bench huge frustration, simply because they love him and want him to be successfull. It began with him driving through the entire defense at the beggining of the shot clock, when he's got a great defender on him and Ibaka who is waiting to block his shot. Seconds later, a fastbreak which resulted in a 2 vs 1 situation, Vassell is completely alone under the basket for an easy 2, instead Lonnie is making a Michael Jordan impersonation, which ends up being another lost opportunity. One minute later he is in some sort of a dream land, forgets his man, gets beaten on the drive, doesnt help the team and Pop in forced to take a TO. I don't see a real progress in that regard, which is much more important than the shot. Tre Jones, for example, is a valuable player for us despite not having a reliable shot, just cause he's making the basics well.

He’s never going to be great. His top end is bench point getter. He’s a guy you need to be able to give a quick hook if his aggressiveness lags. If he’s passive, he’s near worthless.

Max_Spurs
12-22-2021, 12:20 AM
He’s never going to be great. His top end is bench point getter. He’s a guy you need to be able to give a quick hook if his aggressiveness lags. If he’s passive, he’s near worthless.

Even if he can put some points on the board, he's causing more demage than good. I'm not even thinking of him as a starter, but as you said, a bench guy. Right now, Bryn is more valuable, and I don't see us handing Lonnie a contract bigger than Bryn's, which means he'll probably play for another team this time next year.

The Truth #6
12-22-2021, 12:23 AM
I hope his stock rises so that he can be packaged with Young.

exstatic
12-22-2021, 12:32 AM
Even if he can put some points on the board, he's causing more demage than good. I'm not even thinking of him as a starter, but as you said, a bench guy. Right now, Bryn is more valuable, and I don't see us handing Lonnie a contract bigger than Bryn's, which means he'll probably play for another team this time next year.

Yeah, I’m thinking that if any other team comes in North of maybe $5M per year, you wish him well, drive him to the airport, and dump his minutes into Vassell’s bucket. Honestly, Devin was showing more last year as a Rookie than Lonnie was as a 3rd year. He shoots better, is a FAR superior defender both on and off the ball, better rebounder, and has a buttery smooth two foot jump stop mid range game.

Max_Spurs
12-22-2021, 03:10 AM
Totally agree about Vassell, a very impressive young man.

cd98
12-22-2021, 04:40 PM
I go back and forth on Lonnie as a player with a promising future. I think he is a good scorer off the bench kind of player. I could see him develop into that 6th man role.

The Truth #6
12-22-2021, 05:34 PM
I hope his stock rises so that he can be packaged with Young.

But I prefer for him to finally turn the switch on. Just not likely.

CGD
12-23-2021, 08:21 AM
Totally agree about Vassell, a very impressive young man.

The Murray-Vassell backcourt needs to hurry up and become a thing already.

Seventyniner
12-23-2021, 10:18 AM
The Murray-Vassell backcourt needs to hurry up and become a thing already.

I think Vassell is more of a 3 in today's league than a 2. Murray/Primo/Vassell is the 1-3 trio I want to see.

Edit: for the hell of it I looked up Durant's court time by position. He's playing 58% of his minutes at PF and 42% at C this season, and that's with Millsap/Aldridge/Griffin on the roster.

RC_Drunkford
01-18-2022, 01:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvgFeujnakM&ab_channel=SpursTubeTv

KingKev
01-18-2022, 01:09 PM
Haha i can't see us retaining Walker next year at any price.