PDA

View Full Version : Do Spur fans think Demar will be back?

daslicer
08-03-2021, 02:42 AM
I'm calling my shot by stating that Demar will be back on a 3-4 year deal. I hope I'm wrong but what do Spur fans think?

slick'81
08-03-2021, 02:52 AM
Hes as good as gone . No fo is stupid enough to believe he is a 20 million+ franchise player

Robz4000
08-03-2021, 02:59 AM
Hes as good as gone . No fo is stupid enough to believe he is a 20 million+ franchise player

:lol except this one

Teamduncan21
08-03-2021, 03:17 AM
if we strike out on collins, we might consider sign and trade for lauri, kristaps, or kuzma. if that also didnt work, then i think spurs will sign him on a short contract just to fill out the cap.

playblair
08-03-2021, 03:18 AM
if he is back i will boycott yet another year of spurs basketball..........youth movement leave derozan

onechance87
08-03-2021, 03:44 AM
meh....want to see the future young guards take the keys

tbdog
08-03-2021, 03:55 AM
DDR pride probably has taken a huge hit. Technically he is the best free agent out there (discounting Leonard). In terms of his skill, he is the best.

But his weakness require teams to spend on role players to cover for it. So teams have learnt that giving him 15 to 20% of the cap space is just too costly when you need 7 or so more players to cover him. Put him on the jazz instead of clarkson, you know. Good defenders with good shooters. But to get those players means you can't get DDR.

Budkin
08-03-2021, 03:57 AM
No. He wants a chance to win a ring.

RC_Drunkford
08-03-2021, 04:18 AM
Of course. Mills as well

duncan2k5
08-03-2021, 06:26 AM
If we bring back Mills and ddr... That may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me

poopbox
08-03-2021, 07:09 AM
Functionally with the signing of McBuckets, Collins, and with Luka getting real PT this year there is nowhere for him to even play on the spurs without a young guy or McBuckets getting virtually 0 minutes...

I think it ends up being a sign and trade for Demar either Collins, Lauri, Kristaps, or some players from Washington

baseline bum
08-03-2021, 07:51 AM

I was going to say... :lol

SpurSpike
08-03-2021, 08:34 AM
I bet he stays on a fat but short contract. There is nowhere that can really pay him in free agency. If no sign and trade can be found spurs have the negotiation leverage.

cjw
08-03-2021, 08:48 AM
I bet he stays on a fat but short contract. There is nowhere that can really pay him in free agency. If no sign and trade can be found spurs have the negotiation leverage.

I’m sure that’s why the Spurs haven’t committed to anything beyond DMcD and Collins. They are working S&T angles with Demar and if they don’t work out, he will gladly take a bigger contract from Spurs with understanding he may get moved during the year (likely he has say in destination). Should also be working through S&T possibilities with Mills and Gay. While most teams can fit them into the MLE, they may want to fit someone else into the MLE (see Carroll / Morris debacle) and part with an asset (Bertans in that example).

The two deals the Spurs handed out yesterday don’t need to be signed until other moves are done, and can still be worked into larger S&T too as both deals are 3 years. Still a ton of flexibility.

Similar to OKC and SGA. The SGA extension will be the last domino to fall for them once they’ve used all their space as he’s on a small cap hold right now.

JuneJive
08-03-2021, 08:59 AM
That would be the cherry on top of this turd sundae.

Proxy
08-03-2021, 09:46 AM
nah, I think he's honest when he says he wants to get a ring. Not David West levels, but he'll take less with an elite team.

daslicer
08-03-2021, 09:53 AM
nah, I think he's honest when he says he wants to get a ring. Not David West levels, but he'll take less with an elite team.

He's not gong to play for cheap on a title contender. The minimum I could see him taking is 10 mil a year. There is no title contender out there that has that money when you look at the landscape.

Mugen
08-03-2021, 09:54 AM

:lmao

This retarded FO and Depression deserve each other tbh.

daslicer
08-03-2021, 09:54 AM

He wants to get paid and ring. Most importantly he wants to get paid first. No team out there can offer him good money and a ring. It really comes down to the money for Demar.

daslicer
08-03-2021, 09:56 AM
DDR pride probably has taken a huge hit. Technically he is the best free agent out there (discounting Leonard). In terms of his skill, he is the best.

But his weakness require teams to spend on role players to cover for it. So teams have learnt that giving him 15 to 20% of the cap space is just too costly when you need 7 or so more players to cover him. Put him on the jazz instead of clarkson, you know. Good defenders with good shooters. But to get those players means you can't get DDR.

The free agent market should show everybody how low Demar's value is. It also should give an idea how the Spurs could never really trade him other than for players with bad contracts. No team really wants Demar. It became apparent to me when even the lowly Knicks passed on him.

widowmaker
08-03-2021, 09:57 AM
I think he wants out just as much as the fans want him out. Nobody in their right mind wants to play here unless they are washed up or broke dick.

BatManu20
08-03-2021, 10:26 AM
No. He’s gone tbh.

The Truth #6
08-03-2021, 10:29 AM
I thought it was inconceivable. But hey, this FO has a way of making the impossible a reality.

BatManu20
08-03-2021, 10:29 AM
Think Patty’s gone too. Lakers and Warriors both courting him pretty hard reportedly, among others. Will suck if he ends up a Laker tbh.

LongtimeSpursFan
08-03-2021, 10:41 AM
Yes. You need stars to win championships. This team without DeMar is one of the worst rosters in NBA.

Prime BEEF
08-03-2021, 11:18 AM
Think Patty’s gone too. Lakers and Warriors both courting him pretty hard reportedly, among others. Will suck if he ends up a Laker tbh.
He’ll be on the Lakers

Prime BEEF
08-03-2021, 11:20 AM
I think Atlanta fits. DDR(st) for Collins (st). He gets some money and goes to a contender. His lack of 3pt shooter won’t be an issue in Atlanta as he’ll be surrounded by shooters.

itzsoweezee
08-03-2021, 11:44 AM
No one wants to pay Demar big money. I’m sure the Spurs will throw $20M+ at him because they’re idiots.

I might have to jump ship completely if they don’t even make an offer on Collins

SAGirl
08-03-2021, 11:47 AM
No. Right now he’s looking for the most money he can get while still being a part of a competitive team. I think he has no desire to return to the Spurs.

spurs1990
08-03-2021, 11:47 AM
If we bring back Mills and ddr... That may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me

Maybe he'll stop being so conservative with his 3pt shooting with a new contract. I have to believe not hurting his FG% stats was a root cause of his 318th rank in 3pt attempts.

Plus they'll be a chance to trade him at the deadline if the season goes south... which with him is a lock, imo.

RC_Drunkford
08-03-2021, 12:02 PM
Maybe he'll stop being so conservative with his 3pt shooting with a new contract. I have to believe not hurting his FG% stats was a root cause of his 318th rank in 3pt attempts.

Plus they'll be a chance to trade him at the deadline if the season goes south... which with him is a lock, imo.

:lmao yeah right. The Spurs trading their vets at the deadline. Where have I seen this movie before?

baseline bum
08-03-2021, 12:11 PM
Yes. You need stars to win championships. This team without DeMar is one of the worst rosters in NBA.

Is one of the worst rosters in the league with him too

baseline bum
08-03-2021, 12:12 PM
No. Right now he’s looking for the most money he can get while still being a part of a competitive team. I think he has no desire to return to the Spurs.

It's the only way he's making more than MLE unless the Spurs find someone to throw some first round picks in a sign and trade.

SAGirl
08-03-2021, 12:14 PM
It's the only way he's making more than MLE unless the Spurs find someone to throw some first round picks in a sign and trade.
I just saw some charter that he could consider the Spurs ... :pctoss

baseline bum
08-03-2021, 12:18 PM
I just saw some charter that he could consider the Spurs ... :pctoss

I'm guessing 80% chance this scrub is back

RC_Drunkford
08-03-2021, 12:26 PM
We‘ll probably pay him 25 million per year while everybody else is offering him the tax-payers MLE for 5.9 million.

:pop: „We have to do right by our players“

JeffDuncan
08-03-2021, 12:32 PM
DDR has about $176 M in career income. He should go to Miami on a vet min deal. He won’t starve, and he’d be on a winning team, and with Lowry again.

baseline bum
08-03-2021, 12:35 PM
DDR has about $176 M in career income. He should go to Miami on a vet min deal. He won’t starve, and he’d be on a winning team, and with Lowry again.

DeRozan just saw his market value is shit. If the Spurs offer him $20 million a year or more he should take the money and run.

timvp
08-03-2021, 12:38 PM
Logic says no way DeRozan is re-signed.

Spurs logic says, yeah, I mean, it's possible :lol :cry :lol

Mugen
08-03-2021, 12:42 PM
Those loyalty contracts to Porky, Pau, and LMA paid huge dividends so why not another one for Derozan when nobody is offering more than MLE :lmao

Worst FO in the league by FAR.

JeffDuncan
08-03-2021, 12:48 PM
DeRozan just saw his market value is shit. If the Spurs offer him $20 million a year or more he should take the money and run.

That’s what you would do, but do you have $176 M in career earnings?

If the income outlook is bad, so be it, and look for something else, preferably winning.

spurs1990
08-03-2021, 12:55 PM
:lmao yeah right. The Spurs trading their vets at the deadline. Where have I seen this movie before?

Man look here, I'm squarely on team No-DeRozan so looking for any silver linings if they resign him. None of us want to watch 82 games next year and hating the focal point of the offense.

My expectation is he signs here reluctantly for the money, but will become increasingly malcontent when the losses pile up.
He'll be unloaded like Mike Finley in 2009 with hopefully a 1st rounder in return.

That's the road of optimism.

John B
08-03-2021, 12:59 PM
As a 2nd or 3rd option, yes. If somehow they can get Collins and giving up Murray to allow some cap space to sign Demar on a discount.

DPG21920
08-03-2021, 12:59 PM

Imagine being DDR and always talking about how you view yourself as one of the best players in the league. Then you go to a team where they value your best friend so much more than you they are not only willing to pay him 90M but trade players for the privilege of doing so. Then they value you at the league minimum :lol

Yeah, that’s a tough pill to swallow for the old ego, especially when hanging out with what you perceive to be your “equals”

baseline bum
08-03-2021, 01:06 PM

If the income outlook is bad, so be it, and look for something else, preferably winning.

His game doesn't win, no defense and no three point shooting from a guard in 2021 is suicide, gotta have at least one or the other. If he cared about winning he would have become a half decent defender and learned to shoot the three ball.

John B
08-03-2021, 01:07 PM
Once he signs MLE, there’s no going back. His best move would be to work with the Spurs. I still value his scoring. He just needs to stop being too conservative about not taking the 3. I mean Westbrook has worse percentage than him.

JeffDuncan
08-03-2021, 01:18 PM
Imagine being DDR...

A silly thing for you to do. You can’t imagine it.

Maybe he’ll take the money if the Spurs offer it, but he will know he’s signing with a loser. You think losing impinges on ego?

daslicer
08-03-2021, 01:19 PM

Most people are greedy regardless of their income bracket. Very few people are going to take a lot less money than their use to making.

JeffDuncan
08-03-2021, 01:21 PM
His game doesn't win, ...

Miami does. And the Spurs don’t. At least, the Spurs’ outlook is not bright, with or without him.

Dex
08-03-2021, 01:23 PM
I think he's trying to play the market, and going to find out the market doesn't want to pay him what he expects. He's a good player, but not a GREAT player, and other teams are quickly using up the assets they would have needed to sign him.

daslicer
08-03-2021, 01:23 PM
A silly thing for you to do. You can’t imagine it.

Maybe he’ll take the money if the Spurs offer it, but he will know he’s signing with a loser. You think losing impinges on ego?

No not so much. It's getting paid less than what he believes he deserves is what will impinge his ego.

spurraider21
08-03-2021, 01:27 PM
starting to fear he's going to be back

daslicer
08-03-2021, 01:27 PM
Man look here, I'm squarely on team No-DeRozan so looking for any silver linings if they resign him. None of us want to watch 82 games next year and hating the focal point of the offense.

My expectation is he signs here reluctantly for the money, but will become increasingly malcontent when the losses pile up.
He'll be unloaded like Mike Finley in 2009 with hopefully a 1st rounder in return.

That's the road of optimism.

It's going to be hard to unload him like Michael Finley considering if he resigns than the Spurs are paying him over 10 mil plus per year and most likely 20 mil per yer. They can't cut him like Finley. Also teams don't value him enough to trade first round picks for him. The last few years should indicate to you that teams don't care about Demar. Spurs have never gotten offers for him from anybody. The closet rumor we have heard for him the last few years is Kuzma for him and even then the Lakers weren't aggressive about it.

Demar has a bad rep throughout the league and it should be obvious now with the lack of interest that teams have shown for him in FA. It reminds me of Carmelo's rep a few years back except Demar wasn't a bad teammate but because he can't hit 3's nobody wants to touch him.

BatManu20
08-03-2021, 01:32 PM
Markkanen still in play. Even though I don’t want him personally. With that said, he’s an expiring and if the Spurs can somehow squeeze a FRP out of Chicago for DeMar, that’d be awesome. Doubtful but who knows.

baseline bum
08-03-2021, 01:42 PM
I think he's trying to play the market, and going to find out the market doesn't want to pay him what he expects. He's a good player, but not a GREAT player, and other teams are quickly using up the assets they would have needed to sign him.

Disagree that he's a good player. If he was he would have gotten an offer in the ~$20 million range. I mean Fournier just got $18 million. :lol

JeffDuncan
08-03-2021, 01:43 PM
No not so much. It's getting paid less than what he believes he deserves is what will impinge his ego.

You don’t think losing matters “so much” to those guys? C’mon now.

I remind you of the video of Lonnie crying, and saying, “I hate losing.” Remember that?

For the average citizen the money he makes is his only measure of success. So that’s where his ego is. He has no chance at any kind of championship, or other major distinction.

I don’t know what DDR will do. He might follow the money, and return to a losing situation. Or he might not.

baseline bum
08-03-2021, 01:44 PM

I remind you of the video of Lonnie crying, and saying, “I hate losing.” Remember that?

For the average citizen the money he makes is his only measure of success. So that’s where his ego is. He has no chance at any kind of championship, or other major distinction.

I don’t know what DDR will do. He might follow the money, and return to a losing situation. Or he might not.

The money is a show of respect to them. Just like it is to every other person with a job.

CGD
08-03-2021, 02:02 PM
With Mill and Gay out, def feels like Spurs are going in different direction. Don’t see DDR back unless it’s at a great number

daslicer
08-03-2021, 02:05 PM

Look at a guy like Joe Johnson that always took max contracts on bad teams. I have seen a recent interview where Joe has said that he has no regrets for taking all the money and never being on a title contender. These guys like anybody usually care about the money first over anything.

Lonnie crying doesn't make a difference. He's a young guy but I guarantee you when his rookie contract is up he's going to be looking for the best deal possible regardless of whether he can be in a winning or losing situation.

Russ
08-03-2021, 02:14 PM
Don’t see DDR back unless it’s at a great number

And then only as mid-season trade bait.

daslicer
08-03-2021, 02:18 PM

A mid-season trade bait that no team will want. Derozan has next to zero trade value.

Mugen
08-03-2021, 02:23 PM
I'd take Markannen for the max instead of Derozan coming back on a 1yr/vet min tbh, I hate having him on this team that much :lol

Mugen
08-03-2021, 02:24 PM

:lmao the Spurs literally sat on their asses this past trade deadline, what makes you think they'll know how to trade Derozan when he's older and likely on a long term contract

Russ
08-03-2021, 02:26 PM
:lmao the Spurs literally sat on their asses this past trade deadline, what makes you think they'll know how to trade Derozan when he's older and likely on a long term contract

It would be a desperate bargain contract signed by DeRozan -- that was the premise.

daslicer
08-03-2021, 02:27 PM
I'd take Markannen for the max instead of Derozan coming back on a 1yr/vet min tbh, I hate having him on this team that much :lol

Agreed I feel the same way.

spurs1990
08-03-2021, 02:41 PM
I read this thread and counted 22 no's and two yes's.

I know ST isn't exactly representative of the fans at large but I'd say even that number is 60% no at the very least.

spurs1990
08-03-2021, 02:41 PM
I read this thread and counted 22 no's and two yes's.

I know ST isn't exactly representative of the fans at large but I'd say even that number is 60% no at the very least.

slick'81
08-03-2021, 02:42 PM
He seems to be looking everywhere else but here. Guess thats a good sign

Proxy
08-03-2021, 02:47 PM
He's not gong to play for cheap on a title contender. The minimum I could see him taking is 10 mil a year. There is no title contender out there that has that money when you look at the landscape.
Good point. Really don’t want Lauri, but I guess they’re trying for Collins with the s&t as plan b? 5 white big men lmao