PDA

View Full Version : Marbury is T.O. in shorts

alamo50
11-22-2005, 10:07 AM
NBCSports.com

If you were a sous chef in a kitchen that just hired Wolfgang Puck or Bobby Flay as executive chef, would you complain that you had to learn a new way of making sauces?

What if you were a sculptor and somehow Michelangelo showed up to run your studio. Would you complain about his chisel techniques?

Take any similar situation. You’re an actor hired to work in a film being directed by Steven Spielberg. Do you complain about his grasp of the plot? Do you sign on as Tiger Woods’ caddy and criticize his club selection? Do you take a job as Sherlock Holmes’ assistant and question his powers of deduction?

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/051120/051120_marbury_vmed_12p.standard.jpg
Kathy Willens / AP
Stephon Marbury seems to think Larry Brown isn't much of a coach.

These should be hypothetical questions, the answers to which are obvious. Anyone who would whine about having to take directions from an acknowledged master in his field is living in a world with which most of us are as unfamiliar as we are with the far side of the moon.

Say hello to the captain of the NBA All Space Cadet Team, Stephon Marbury, our Whiner of the Week.

Marbury came to work this summer and found a man recognized as one of the greatest coaches in the business running his team, the New York Knicks. The point guard had all of summer camp to learn Brown’s system, which depends on the players doing things in a team sort of way.

This was foreign to Marbury, who always looked at basketball as a game in which he takes the court with four other guys. He’s not really sure what the purpose of the other guys is, since he’s obviously the focus of the game, but he tolerates them and even lets them touch the ball now and then, just as long as they don’t make a habit of it.

It’s well known that no team that has had Marbury as a point guard has ever won anything. It’s also well known that Brown is a proven winner. So one would think that Marbury would be interested in learning to play ball the Larry Brown way.

He’s not. And partly because of Marbury’s lack of interest in this team thing, the Knicks have staggered and stumbled through the early parts of the season.

Instead of working harder to learn the system that brought Detroit a championship, Marbury needed just eight games to tell the media that Larry Brown wasn’t working out as a coach.

Again, this is like the dishwasher telling Emeril he doesn’t know beans about bam.

“I'm not playing the way how I normally play, and I know I could do way more than what I'm doing,” Marbury said after getting outscored by Kobe Bryant, 42-4, in a loss to the Lakers. He also cried about not getting any shots and said he didn’t want to be a point guard and a whole lot of other nonsense.

“We run 25 pick-and-rolls for a point guard in a game? That's trying to help,'' Brown shot back, noting that Marbury didn’t shoot a single free throw in the loss — a sure sign that he wasn’t driving to the hoop.

We think there’s only one thing left for Marbury to do — hire Drew Rosenhaus as his agent. Because if this guy isn’t Terrell owens in shorts, we don’t know who is.

Link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3298669/)