PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season, Houston was most feared in WC?

boutons
11-22-2005, 10:57 AM
They are 3-7 now, and could drop to 3-11 with this double B2Bs schdule:

Tue 22 @Dallas
Wed 23 Phoenix
Fri 25 @Memphis
Sat 26 Chicago

Spurs probably won't get their 11th loss until March.

Even with McGrady healthy, they really suck this year.

If they don't turnaround pretty quick, JVG could be out.

JMarkJohns
11-22-2005, 03:04 PM
They were extremely flawed entering the season, lacking both a quality PG (I don't care about Alston's numbers, I think he's a cancer) and consistant outside shooting.

They are still a weak rebounding team, because Lord knows Swift isn't much of one either.

So, now they are locked into this team, for better or for worse because Swift is a nice player for the price, so it's hard to justify giving him up, Howard is locked in for 7 million per until Christ returns thanks to his Orlando contract, McGrady and Yao are MAX players that most teams can't afford/package quality together for in trade and after them, none of their players really stands out.

I thought they'd be much better. I had them being around Dallas good.

The injuries have hurt, but they'd be no better than .500 healthy, anyways.

Last year they started off terrible, stayed the course, made some moves and got back on track. Wait until the new year. If they aren't playing .500 or better ball by then, they will be out of the playoff picture mostl likely.

Though, after San Antonio, Dallas and Memphis, I'm not sure there are any quality teams anyways. Clippers could be good, but they need to prove this start by playing better than .500 for another month or two. After those four teams, it's wide open.

Spurminator
11-22-2005, 03:14 PM
I never bought that they were a Stromile Swift away from being a Championship calibur team...

I will say I expected them to look better than this, but it could just be a slow start.

JMarkJohns
11-22-2005, 04:23 PM
I didn't think Stromile was a need. He didn't answer their need for a dominant, or at the very least, physical rebounder and his acquisition likely cost them a chance at a real shooter.

Obstructed_View
11-22-2005, 10:01 PM
The only people that feared the Rockets in the preseason were Rocket fans.

TDMVPDPOY
11-22-2005, 11:41 PM
they boasted stromile swift will avg 4bpg lmao, he be a defensive stopper and rebound king......rocket fans are delirious

mavsfan1000
11-23-2005, 12:39 AM
The only way Swift scores is the defender having a lack of knowledge how to guard. Give him alot of space and he can't do shit because of no shooting skills.

JMarkJohns
11-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Plus he can't block out and has no timing for blocked shots, which means that in order to have an affect on defense, he must attempt to block every shot, which leads to quick fouls, which leads to an average of 20-25 minutes per game.

boutons
11-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Houston led @DAL for a good portion of the game, but their moribund offense (starting PF JHoward 3 pts in 27 min) finally was overtaken late by a slightly hotter shooting late in the game.

Punk-ass Rafer Alston was not on the roster @DAL:
http://www.nba.com/games/20051122/HOUDAL/boxscore.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/rafer_alston/game_by_game_stats.html

I bet Jeff is kicking his own butt for letting solid good-guy Mike James go.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/mike_james/game_by_game_stats.html

Obstructed_View
11-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Of course, we are only ten games into the season. Houston has plenty of time to get better.

mavsfan1000
11-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Of course, we are only ten games into the season. Houston has plenty of time to get better.

They look like crap so far. I doubt that they would all of a sudden challenge San Antonio. Dallas is the second best team and maybe could challenge San Antonio this year.

Obstructed_View
11-23-2005, 08:43 PM
They look like crap so far. I doubt that they would all of a sudden challenge San Antonio. Dallas is the second best team and maybe could challenge San Antonio this year.
They have 75 games to get better, that's hardly all of a sudden. Again, I know it's hard for a Mavericks fan to understand this, but the season is just barely started, and nobody wins anything of real significance in November. Right now, Dallas has played better than San Antonio in stretches, but it doesn't really mean much, as they've balanced it out with stretches where they are terrible. I don't see how anyone could put them head and shoulders above Houston, especially after last night's game. They look like crap and had a chance to beat Dallas without TMac.

mavsfan1000
11-23-2005, 09:22 PM
I think Dallas had an off game. I thought their energy was down to the games before that. Houston overachieved in that game also. Head is not going to play like that usually but had a career night. Sura is not likely to come back and he was huge for Houston's offensive production because of his ability to penetrate. James was also able to hit alot of 3's. Houston is far from Dallas's level and I don't see how you see the light at the end of the tunnel for Houston.

Obstructed_View
11-23-2005, 09:32 PM
Because it's a long ass tunnel.

TDMVPDPOY
11-25-2005, 11:43 AM
houston comets > houston rockets unfortunately thats the reality of it :D

ObiwanGinobili
11-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Pre-season, Houston was most feared in WC?

well not by me at least.
how can I take a team seriously when they are anchored by Yao Ming?