PDA

View Full Version : COMMENTARY: The case for putting Patty Mills's number in the rafters

ducks
08-07-2021, 05:47 PM
https://www.kens5.com/mobile/article/sports/patty-mills-commentary-spurs/273-00af6d09-8542-463d-817a-a1a92692e93b

Wow to even think it would …

Harry Callahan
08-07-2021, 05:52 PM
No. Patty doesn't rate that level of recognition.

He will always be one of my favorite Spurs the way he became a very key player for a number of years including the last championship season when everything just WORKED. A glorious time for sure. It's starting to be a long time ago.

TDMVPDPOY
08-07-2021, 06:08 PM
if enriques number is up there, then they should have all the backup pgs who bailed out that pos in the finals, even mario chalmers

spurs1990
08-07-2021, 06:10 PM
I would have done it had he not defected to New Jersey and saddled us with the D league Forbes.

On a serious note had he ended his career here his piled up stats would've merited the honor. 2012-2023 would've been a longer run than AJ.

MannyIsGod
08-07-2021, 06:42 PM
I love Patty. Absolutely fucking not.

Dex
08-07-2021, 07:07 PM
Fuck it. We aren't retiring a lot of numbers any time soon.

I say put it up there. Dude was a great Spur through thick and thin.

RC_Drunkford
08-07-2021, 07:08 PM
They will do it tbh. If you a loyal guy with great character your jersey will be in the rafters. That's just what the Spurs do. What was the reason to have Avery Johnson up there again?

MVPCues
08-07-2021, 07:16 PM
Very possible he rings and then comes back for 1 or 2 final years in San Antonio has a mentor for min and retires a Spur. They would certainly put his number up then.

HankChinaski
08-07-2021, 07:21 PM
Naw. Cheer the heck out of him when he enters the game for the first anytime he is at San Antonio Basketball Arena. That's about it.

slick'81
08-07-2021, 07:23 PM
They will do it tbh. If you a loyal guy with great character your jersey will be in the rafters. That's just what the Spurs do. What was the reason to have Avery Johnson up there again?

The same reason to have patty in there. Neither really deserve to be there

GAustex
08-07-2021, 07:26 PM
If it were up to me nah. Cause he was a complement player-though a good teammate by all accounts.
The way things are someone else will say yah.

TDMVPDPOY
08-07-2021, 07:28 PM
Very possible he rings and then comes back for 1 or 2 final years in San Antonio has a mentor for min and retires a Spur. They would certainly put his number up then.

appearing in EDDIE movie, being called his voice sounds like a cockroach by whoopi hahaha

anyway, he did have 1 series win against patfo

Allan Rowe vs Wade
08-07-2021, 07:38 PM
Fuck it. We aren't retiring a lot of numbers any time soon.

I say put it up there. Dude was a great Spur through thick and thin.

yeah at this point who cares?

playblair
08-07-2021, 07:42 PM
no

RC_Drunkford
08-07-2021, 08:09 PM
The same reason to have patty in there. Neither really deserve to be there

:pop: „we‘re classy organization“

kht
08-07-2021, 08:09 PM
Absolutely deserves his number in the rafters… Bowen and Avery are up there.

8FOR!3
08-07-2021, 08:15 PM
I’m against retiring role players jerseys. Where does it end? I don’t agree with 6 and 12 either. Not that these guys aren’t great, but the idea that no one can ever wear #8 again bc of our career backup guard is silly despite him being very good and influential

KobesAchilles
08-07-2021, 08:55 PM
If Averys’s number is up there then there’s no real standards. Might as well put it up there

99 Problems
08-07-2021, 09:05 PM
The statue is probably sufficient at this stage.

Lebowski Brickowski
08-07-2021, 10:24 PM
Def in the rafters. Outside chance at HoF, tbh.

Lebowski Brickowski
08-07-2021, 10:37 PM
Not even joking. FIBA Patty absolutely has a case, especially being an NBA champ and likely 12 yr vet. Spurstalk will melt down but it is what it is. I welcome #8 in the rafters, way more than #2 or fake #12 (LA). And I could see his case for HoF.

ElNono
08-07-2021, 10:38 PM
if enriques number is up there, then they should have all the backup pgs who bailed out that pos in the finals, even mario chalmers

:lol

Seventyniner
08-07-2021, 10:52 PM
Def in the rafters. Outside chance at HoF, tbh.

I think Patty might have gotten into the HoF had he retired before the Olympics, now it's a lock imo. Mainly due to his accomplishments with the Aussie national team. HoF in basketball isn't the high bar it is in other sports.

paperboy77
08-08-2021, 12:20 AM
Yes for me.

ismael-robert
08-08-2021, 01:35 AM
Baynes n Simmons play its highly likely they get silver if not best us for gold

slick'81
08-08-2021, 01:54 AM
Are we seriously talking about a guy with career averages of 9 points and 2 assists a game in the hof?:lol:rollin

ElNono
08-08-2021, 02:09 AM
What's next? Boris Diaw?

td4mvp2k
08-08-2021, 02:20 AM
absolutely. he deserves it.

spurs10
08-08-2021, 02:28 AM
What's next? Boris Diaw? Bobo! Hell yeah! Just for being the coolest player on the Spurs. A friend who traveled with the Spurs told me he had a gal in every port and they were all super fine. World's Most Interesting Man!

John B
08-08-2021, 03:11 AM
I love Patty and the culture that he brought. I’m still questioning Avery’s place in Spurs role, but at least he was the starting Little General that helped brought the 1st ever championship to the Spurs, likewise Sean with his defense and the iconic Independence Day dagger. But Patty was just a “spot shooter.” I mean, even Fisher would’ve been more deserving with the Lakers. I think it lowers the standard of the Spurs player greatness to retire Patty’s jersey with them.

slick'81
08-08-2021, 03:46 AM
I love Patty and the culture that he brought. I’m still questioning Avery’s place in Spurs role, but at least he was the starting Little General that helped brought the 1st ever championship to the Spurs, likewise Sean with his defense and the iconic Independence Day dagger. But Patty was just a “spot shooter.” I mean, even Fisher would’ve been more deserving with the Lakers. I think it lowers the standard of the Spurs player greatness to retire Patty’s jersey with them.

Aj was atleast the starter on some damn good teams,and of course the '99 squad . Plus he was the alltime assists leader before tony parker came along. Again not the most impressive resume overall but still something

Rummpd
08-08-2021, 06:38 AM
It would fit this FARCE of FO to do such a thing and maybe hang a banner for Forbes - but in a men's room. Yet the FO brought him back...

Ice009
08-08-2021, 06:57 AM
Bobo! Hell yeah! Just for being the coolest player on the Spurs. A friend who traveled with the Spurs told me he had a gal in every port and they were all super fine. World's Most Interesting Man!

No shit? Darn, I was wondering what is up with him as I've never seen him with a steady girlfriend so I was wondering if he's some kind of a player (not in a bad way). The legend of Boris Diaw continues to grow. Super interesting guy (I really do love the guy - he seems like he'd be super cool to hang out with). I wish he played like he did in 2014 for a few more years for the Spurs. He was an amazing player when he put it all together (he was at his best when he was a little bit selfish with his scoring cause he did everything else so well on the offensive end of the court).

RC_Drunkford
08-08-2021, 07:22 AM
fuck it let's put Jeff Ayres up there too while we're at it

JeffDuncan
08-08-2021, 08:03 AM
It would fit this FARCE of FO to do such a thing and maybe hang a banner for Forbes - but in a men's room. Yet the FO brought him back...

Forbes would best be honored by printing a pic of him on the mat on the sideline where the players wipe their shoes.

bluebellmaniac
08-08-2021, 08:51 AM
To be honest, there should be two types of jerseys that hang from the rafters.

First type: The legends. Gervin, Tim, Robinson, Tony, Manu types. These not only hang in the rafters, but the numbers are retired.

Second type: Fan favorites and beloved players, but whose numbers are NOT retired. Elliott, Bowen, Dietrick come to mind.

timtonymanu
08-08-2021, 09:03 AM
Won't happen. They would have put Bonner's up there already.

barakz21
08-08-2021, 10:12 AM
No.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-08-2021, 12:28 PM
As long as we don’t hang #2 up there I’m fine with whatever. AJ’s retirement showed me anything is possible.

Dverde
08-08-2021, 12:40 PM
Nope. He shouldn’t be compared to Avery either.

timvp
08-08-2021, 01:08 PM
Eh ... if it was my decision I'd say no but if it happens, I wouldn't be upset. He played a part in a championship, he was a key member of a number of really good teams and he's a good role model for any future Spur to try to emulate. It wouldn't be a travesty; the Spurs have five (5) championships so having a handful of retired numbers up there from that era makes sense.

Going forward, it's going to be difficult for players to crack that rafters-worthy bar. Aldridge had a good run but I can't imagine the Spurs re-retire #12. Now the non-championship bar is, what, like five All-Star appearances? So, yeah, if Mills goes up there, he'd probably be the last one for a long, long time.

The only problem with retiring Mills is then don't you have to retire Green's jersey? Green > Mills by quite a large margin, if we're being honest.

BillMc
08-08-2021, 01:21 PM
Eh ... if it was my decision I'd say no but if it happens, I wouldn't be upset. He played a part in a championship, he was a key member of a number of really good teams and he's a good role model for any future Spur to try to emulate. It wouldn't be a travesty; the Spurs have five (5) championships so having a handful of retired numbers up there from that era makes sense.

Going forward, it's going to be difficult for players to crack that rafters-worthy bar. Aldridge had a good run but I can't imagine the Spurs re-retire #12. Now the non-championship bar is, what, like five All-Star appearances? So, yeah, if Mills goes up there, he'd probably be the last one for a long, long time.

The only problem with retiring Mills is then don't you have to retire Green's jersey? Green > Mills by quite a large margin, if we're being honest.

Will Kawhi be up there given the bad blood of his leaving? Probably eventually, but who knows. Olando never retired Shaq''s number.

Drom John
08-08-2021, 01:52 PM
If it was my decision, then I'd say yes, because it would be a guaranteed sellout.

BTW, Patty Mills climbed to 4th in career Olympics points, passing Ginobili, Marques & Scola.

Top 10 plus another:
1093 Oscar Schmidt HOF
789 Andrew Gaze
658 Pau Gasol
608 Patty Mills
607 Luis Scola
537 Wlamir Marques
523 Manu Ginobili
475 Sergei Belov HOF
461 Drazen Dalipagic HOF, Drazen Petrovic HOF

435 Kevin Durant

RC_Drunkford
08-08-2021, 01:57 PM

:pop: "the biggest free agency aquisition in franchise history? We have to retire his jersey"

K...
08-08-2021, 02:00 PM

First type: The legends. Gervin, Tim, Robinson, Tony, Manu types. These not only hang in the rafters, but the numbers are retired.

Second type: Fan favorites and beloved players, but whose numbers are NOT retired. Elliott, Bowen, Dietrick come to mind.

they should remove the lesser guys when they move buildings. At the same time open a museum like a spurs specific HOF where all the role players can go. and they can make a Kawhi jersey exhibit but it's in the basement and there's a guy who whacks your shin with a bat if you try and approach.

K...
08-08-2021, 02:00 PM

they should remove the lesser guys when they move buildings. At the same time open a museum like a spurs specific HOF where all the role players can go. and they can make a Kawhi jersey exhibit but it's in the basement and there's a guy who whacks your shin with a bat if you try and approach.

Johnsyounger
08-08-2021, 02:39 PM
Absolutely deserves his number in the rafters… Bowen and Avery are up there.
This

TD 21
08-08-2021, 03:20 PM
The standards for getting your number retired in an organization with such a rich history like this, should be astronomical.

As I've long said, they (and every organization in sports) should have a Ring of Honor, where fringe stars and elite role players Silas, Moore, Johnson, Bowen, Green, Aldridge and Mills, can be recognized, but not to the same extent as superstars and bona fide stars like Gervin, Robinson, Duncan, Parker and Ginobili.

MVPCues
08-08-2021, 03:57 PM
Will Kawhi be up there given the bad blood of his leaving? Probably eventually, but who knows. Olando never retired Shaq''s number.

Never.

objective
08-08-2021, 03:59 PM
Don't know why Mills gets the 'loyal' tag.

What exactly makes him loyal?

MultiTroll
08-08-2021, 05:31 PM
:rollin Imagine walking up from an unfortunate accident which left one in a coma in summer of 2007 and seeing this.
Ya let's put Pattys jersey in the rafters.

RC_Drunkford
08-08-2021, 05:45 PM

i got 50 Million reasons

slick'81
08-08-2021, 05:46 PM

Hes by far one of the most overrated players in spurs history. Some in this thread are saying he should be in the basketball hall of fame. I mean jesus fckn christ:lol

atleast aj was a starter,and all time assist leader. Bowen guarded the opposing teams best players every night,and kicked them in the Nutz. Patty was a role playing spot up reserve who helps get coffee,and teach "culture"

duncan2k5
08-08-2021, 07:52 PM
Fuck no! Have some god damn standards

cjw
08-08-2021, 08:56 PM
I mean, the Thunder retired Nick Collison’s number so this wouldn’t be that pathetic. Or as pathetic as the Heat retiring Jordan’s number.

spurs10
08-09-2021, 01:16 AM
No shit? Darn, I was wondering what is up with him as I've never seen him with a steady girlfriend so I was wondering if he's some kind of a player (not in a bad way). The legend of Boris Diaw continues to grow. Super interesting guy (I really do love the guy - he seems like he's be super cool to hand out with). I wish he played like he did in 2014 for a few more years for the Spurs. He was an amazing player when he put it all together (he was at his best when he was a little bit selfish with his scoring cause he did everything else so well on the offensive end of the court). Yeah and couldn't agree more about him. He's also written children's books about travel in Africa and safaris and such. I don't think "The World's Most Interesting Man'' is a new concept, as I recently called him that on Twitter and received a 'laugh' and like by him. 2014...that was a team.

Ice009
08-09-2021, 02:17 AM
If it was my decision, then I'd say yes, because it would be a guaranteed sellout.

BTW, Patty Mills climbed to 4th in career Olympics points, passing Ginobili, Marques & Scola.

Top 10 plus another:
1093 Oscar Schmidt HOF
789 Andrew Gaze
658 Pau Gasol
608 Patty Mills
607 Luis Scola
537 Wlamir Marques
523 Manu Ginobili
475 Sergei Belov HOF
461 Drazen Dalipagic HOF, Drazen Petrovic HOF

435 Kevin Durant

How many Olympics has Patty played in compared to KD (I should know this but I don't). That's crazy he's that far ahead of KD.

Yeah and couldn't agree more about him. He's also written children's books about travel in Africa and safaris and such. I don't think "The World's Most Interesting Man'' is a new concept, as I recently called him that on Twitter and received a 'laugh' and like by him. 2014...that was a team.

Didn't know that about the Children's books, or maybe I did read about it years ago, but just forgot about it. Either way, that is pretty cool. I completely forgot that he used to be an avid photographer (or maybe still is) and also take photos and go on safaris in Africa. I remember them saying (I think he worked with some professional photographers while going on those safaris) he could have done that professionally as he became pretty good at it.

When did you call him that on Twitter? Pretty cool that he liked the post.

That 2013 and 2014 teams, man, I really loved them. Just the journey itself and watching them play throughout those few seasons was so much fun and bought a lot of joy to a lot of Spurs fans at that time. I believe they could have won both rings (I know people say that if they won in 2013 they probably don't win in 2014, but I don't necessarily agree with that) and also maybe again in 2015 (definitely not a lock, but still had a good chance if they were healthy) if they weren't banged up by then, but I will also say, even if they didn't win it in 2014, those Spurs teams (2012-2015 - I think they were great all 4 of these years. I'd even say that had a legit chance in 2012 if not for that screw job in game 5 with the goaltend on Manu and the refereeing in game 6 OKC with the bullshit touch fouls to get them into the penalty early) still would have been one of my most favourite Spurs teams of all time.

GreekSpursfan
08-09-2021, 04:52 AM
If Averys’s number is up there then there’s no real standards. Might as well put it up there

Sorry Avery but KobesAchilles is right

bigfan
08-09-2021, 10:42 AM
Sure, right after Billy "The Whopper" Paultz.

JeffDuncan
08-09-2021, 10:48 AM
Don’t forget that Matt Bonner has two rings with the Spurs. Patty only has one. We gonna put them both up there?

LaMarcus Bryant
08-09-2021, 12:25 PM
I love Patty. Absolutely fucking not.

:lmao rack em

cjw
08-09-2021, 01:34 PM
Two Olympic scoring titles and a third olympics placing second.

Proxy
08-09-2021, 03:00 PM
I mean... not before Malik's number then

rr2911
08-09-2021, 03:12 PM
It's a no for me! Former Spurs great Larry Kenon's jersey should be the next one retired and hung on the rafters waaaayyyy before Mills. Kenon was a 20/10 career player and made the all-star team twice in 1978 and 79.

Drom John
08-09-2021, 03:21 PM
Two Olympic scoring titles and a third olympics placing second.

One Olympic scoring title (London) and two placing second (Rio behind Jokic, Tokyo behind Doncic)

First Olympics (Beijing) was as a bench player after Patty's freshman year at St. Mary's.

Durant was not on the Beijing team.

RC_Drunkford
08-09-2021, 03:42 PM
What do the olympics have to do with the Spurs rafters?