PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Jason Kidd

timvp
03-31-2003, 01:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/2625.jpghttp://espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nba/med/trans/njn.GIF

Name: Jason Kidd
Height: 6-4
Weight: 212 lbs.
Pos: PG
Born: March 23, 1973, San Francisco, CA
Drafted: 1994, 1st round, 2nd pick by Mavericks
College: California

As everyone knows, Jason Kidd is a free agent this summer.

You know the details by now.

What do you think?

Jimcs50
03-31-2003, 01:54 PM
No way Jose!

KoriEllis
03-31-2003, 02:43 PM
Kidd has to be considered, but I don't think he should be the first option. Spurs have a great point guard. :smokin2

travis2
03-31-2003, 02:52 PM
STOP THE MADNESS!!! :shock :shock :shock :shock

spurster
03-31-2003, 04:11 PM
I would prefer J. O'Neal or Brand to Kidd, but who's the star that wants to play with TD?

timvp
03-31-2003, 04:14 PM
If you are Pop and Kidd wants Duncan and Duncan wants Kidd, what do you do?

Question.

SpursForever
03-31-2003, 04:19 PM
Spurs fans and their wet dreams:flipoff

Patrick Davis
03-31-2003, 04:46 PM
NO TO KIDD. Duncan won't say either way, he is too passive aggressive. He will just roll the ball away from Pop in practice.

timvp
04-01-2003, 12:18 AM
If Kidd wants to come to San Antonio, how are you going to say NO to him? He's one of the top players in the league. Unless you have someone like Jermaine O'Neal in the bag, it will be almost impossible to turn him down.

With a player like Kidd, you have to add him even if he isn't a need.

But if the Spurs win a Championship, my thinking may change:wtf

scott
04-01-2003, 12:57 AM
The Spurs aren't a point guard away from a championship.

I don't think the TP/Kidd backcourt would work, so I say NO!

Patrick Davis
04-01-2003, 03:01 AM
Its easy, when Kidd's agents calls SA

Pop: Hello

Kidd's agent: Hello, I represent Jason Kidd. can we set a date to meet.

Pop: No hablo ingles

Kidd's agent: Ahh forget it.

See, easy and fun way to say no to kidd this offseason.

SpursForever
04-01-2003, 03:07 AM
Sad Trick, Pay Us,

The Spurs would be certifiably mentally challenged if they hang up on Jason Kidd:flipoff

Patrick Davis
04-01-2003, 03:16 AM
it was a joke

unlike you, when i make a stupid remark, i know its stupid.

timvp
04-01-2003, 04:42 AM
I don't love the idea of Parker playing off the ball, but I think it could work. He's a good enough shooter and slasher to make it work. Defensively, it isn't too much of a problem. Kidd is big enough to guard most 2 guards.

The problem is Manu is lost in the shuffle.

Patrick Davis
04-01-2003, 04:47 AM
I don't like the idea of Kidd coming, because i think we will end up looking like an eastern conference team. Kidd, Parker, Bowen, Rose, Duncan. That is too small to compete in the West.

Big Syke
04-01-2003, 07:43 AM
This is Jason Kidd we are talking about. He's the best point guard in the game. You can't NOT sign him.

Patrick Davis
04-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Everyone keeps saying that. I really don't think he will make our team 10 mil better. So I don't want him. You can say no to him, it might be hard, but you can't just throw away money cause he's the best pg. I really don't think he would make this team much better at all.

timvp
04-01-2003, 03:03 PM
A lot of people think like that. I'm sure it will be very, very tough for Pop to turn down Jason Kidd no matter the scenario.

Even if the Spurs win the Championship, I could see the Spurs still signing Kidd if he wants to come.

Patrick Davis
04-03-2003, 04:34 AM
You win or you don't win, you don't through money at a player just cause you can. We have a point guard. We don't have a center at the end of this season. We get Kidd, we most likely start Rose. That is an eastern conference team. I think the Lakers have a better chance of beating us if we sign Kidd.

timvp
04-03-2003, 04:39 AM
The thing is I don't know how you turn down a top five player, regardless of position. Parker is talented enough to play shooting guard. Kidd is a great basketball player, period. It doesn't matter where or how you play him, he'll find a way to be great.

Portland once drafted for need.

Sam Bowie.

Patrick Davis
04-03-2003, 04:47 AM
I don't see why we need Kidd to lob it into the post. Parker ain't a shooting guard. While were at it why don't we start Rose at SF. Yeah he could do it, but it will hurt his career, and he won't be happy. Funny you talk about Portland, They found it hard to turn down good players. Now everyone just waits for them to explode every season. Kidd has anger control problems too, he cussed out my friend at a game and timvp, if you walk up to him after a loss next season, he slap you silly just like he did his wife.

timvp
04-03-2003, 04:55 AM
I don't see why we need Kidd to lob it into the post. Parker ain't a shooting guard.

In case you haven't noticed, this ain't your grandpa's Spurs. This group can run-and-gun with the best of them. Kidd won't just lob it down to Duncan. He'll lead the break and make everyone else better.

If nothing else, Kidd will make Duncan a better player. Kidd is one of the best players I've ever seen at getting players the ball where they want it. He'd give more easy baskets to Duncan then Duncan has had in the last two years.

Parker knows how to score. If he has to, he'd be a fine player off the ball. He'd still control the ball at times, so he wouldn't feel too "disconnected".

P.S.

Kidd ain't slappin' me:fro

freak
04-03-2003, 04:57 AM
A. getting jason kidd does not make the spurs and eastern conference team.

B. because he cussed out your friend doesn't mean he has anger management problems. have you ever cussed out somebody? if so, do you have anger problems? and i bet your friend was innocently sitting at his seat eating cotton candy when the evil jason kidd hopped into the stands and yelled at his face

C. i agree with you, i don't want jason kidd either

Patrick Davis
04-03-2003, 05:04 AM
Parker will have a major disadvantage going at it on players 4-6 inches taller than him. He won't be nearly as effective when people are looking for him to score.

Duncan is the best player in the NBA, Kidd won't make him any better. He will me everyone else "look" better. He will make passes other people could make he just makes em flashier so people think the other guy must have done something good too. Its like when they give him an assist on a miss layup that K-Mart puts back in.

The Spurs have changed, BUT their half-court is what seperates them from other teams. They can do everything so well. Your making the Spurs the Nets with Duncan insted of Martin. Give me a big man and we can dominate inside. It's just simple minded thinking to say we can't turn down a player cause he's good.

timvp
04-03-2003, 05:13 AM
Parker will have a major disadvantage going at it on players 4-6 inches taller than him. He won't be nearly as effective when people are looking for him to score.

First of all, he will have a huge speed advantage. What shooting guard in the league outside of Iverson can keep up with Parker? The size wouldn't be too difficult because he's already finishing at the rim against seven footers. And on defense, Kidd will be guarding the 2.

Duncan is the best player in the NBA, Kidd won't make him any better.

Of course he'll make Duncan better. Kidd makes everyone on his team better. Players like Richard Jefferson exploding for huge games doesn't just happen. That is a result of numerous good looks from Kidd.

It's just simple minded thinking to say we can't turn down a player cause he's good.

It doesn't make sense to turn down a top five player. You fit them in wherever you can.

To turn them down is simple minded.

freak
04-03-2003, 05:15 AM
and we're on to round six for thomas aquinas and his elder statesman aristotle.

freak
04-03-2003, 05:22 AM
patrick davis, if i'm a math teacher, your takes look like a dishonest algebra test to me.

you get the answer right, but the work you show is all wrong.

i don't want kidd either, so we agree on that.

but when you say stuff like if we get him, duncan becomes k-mart...

i mean come on patrick. you've got to stop writing things like that or kori's going to consider making you a special guest referee at fullsportpress wrestling events rather than a contributing writer.

Patrick Davis
04-03-2003, 05:25 AM
Parker could drive, but he will have no jump shot.

How will Kidd make Duncan any better. Duncan can score while stopped. It might give him 3ppg more on good looks. Is Kidd worth 3 points a game to Tim. 3 points Parker will be able to get him in a few years.

There is no point in signing a point guard when we have Tony Parker. We have much bigger holes that need to be filled than at the guard. Why waste money when we have actual problem areas.

Man in Black1
04-03-2003, 06:51 AM
:brotha

Parker could drive, but he will have no jump shot.

So what happened to his .461 FG%? Then how is it that he is shooting .355 behind the arc?

So you are saying that his shot will leave because another ALL-NBA 1st Teamer is brought into the fold? You're basically telling us that those 500 jumpers over the summer won't matter because Kidd will be the primary ball-handler. I don't agree.

Ahhh Youth Naivete :dog Ignorance is bliss.
PD-There is much to learn beyond observation.

Timvp has got you and he is doing what Tim Duncan does, leading you to a place you can't possibly win.

pfc2002
04-03-2003, 11:34 AM
It's just not something you do to a championship team. Especially one that is clicking with it's chemistry. We're looking like the Lakers 3 years ago but Younger. IMO Sign a capable center (Rasho) and plan to take care of your team (Manu, SJax)

Ahhh Youth Naivete :dog Ignorance is bliss.
PD-There is much to learn beyond observation.

:wtf

It doesn't make sense to turn down a top five player. You fit them in wherever you can.

To turn them down is simple minded.

:rolleyes

Guys what's with this bravado of your guru knowledge? There are many knowledgeable people who don't think we should get Kidd:
Walton, Barkley, SElliot, DRob, TTolbert

It's not a no brainer by any stretch...

Jimcs50
04-03-2003, 11:40 AM
NO KIDD!!!!! We do not need the wife beater, Parker will end up being the top pointguard in the NBA in 4 yrs. Kidd will be retired then.

pseudofan
04-03-2003, 01:57 PM
I think Kidd is definitely an asset. Do we need him right now? Probably not. Might we need him in the near or even distant future? Maybe. What do we have to lose by signing Kidd? Really, what are the other viable FA options? I mean REALISTICALLY? I agree we need a good center to fill the position after this season, but look at the line up we use now (which happens to be working quite well, I might add). David isn't getting that many minutes in his old age, yet we seem to be tearing almost everyone up!

Why?

Could it be that Pop is finally seeing that a little offense and some plays mixed in with his hard stance on DEFENSE is actually a good thing? I think so.

So what do we have to lose? What could we gain?

I think it could work.

pfc2002
04-03-2003, 01:59 PM
we lose 12.5 million in cap space. we lose a being able to pay a better big. we lose Manu or TPark or Sjax (or 2 of the three).

KoriEllis
04-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Does anyone's stance on Kidd (or free agents in general) change if the Spurs win the Championship THIS season??

genghisrex
04-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Whether we win the championship or not, I think that we should get the best players we can. If Tony, Manu, and SJax just put on an absolute show during the playoffs then I might reconsider about Kidd, but I'm going to have to be "shocked and awed."

CosmicCowboyXXX
04-03-2003, 03:29 PM
my stance has already changed...

I am now 100% convinced that adding J O'Neal to the current team allowing a Duncan/O'Neal/Rose/Scola rotation at the 4/5 is a recipe for a dynasty...

Patrick Davis
04-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Freak: I never said Duncan would turn into K-Mart. I said the Spurs would look like the Nets with Duncan INSTEAD of K-Mart. Yes, that is a step up.

MIB: Have you ever tried to take a jump shot over a guy who has 6 inches on you? Its very hard to get a decent shot off. Tony gets open jump shots this season because of double teams and his quick shot off the dribble when bringing the ball up. Everyone will double off of Kidd if he is here, Kidd doesn't have that great of a shot. Calling me naive because we have differing view points is close-minded and silly. So are you conceding that If we don't sign Kidd this summer that you are naive and ignorant?

Also, I would like to know how many people here have watched multiple Nets games. I watch him every chance I get so I will know his game better. I don't have NBA league pass so I can only watch him so much. But I think some people are basing their opinions of things they have read and seen on tv. Don't forget, you disagree with these journalists when they say that Spurs will lose to the Lakers, but trust them when it is something you want to hear. Watch his games, watch Spurs games. They don't play close to the same way. I don't think Kidd will fit here. I know Parker does.

Big Syke
04-03-2003, 04:48 PM
It's a tough choice but Kidd still is too good a player to not look into getting. But if Duncan doesn't want him, SCREW 'EM:spin

spurster
04-03-2003, 05:13 PM
Does anyone's stance on Kidd (or free agents in general) change if the Spurs win the Championship THIS season??

If the Spurs win it all, I think you maintain the rotation as much as you can. Why mess with success? Why change a formula that works? You focus on getting a true center replacement for DRob, e.g., B. Miller, Rasho, or Kandi in order of preference. You keep Claxton. You don't waste the rest of the cap space because you have two up and coming stars, Parker and Manu, and quality players focused on improving each season (Rose, Bowen, SJax, TD, of course). You "save" money now in anticipation of having to "spend" it in 2005 when Parker and Manu start making big money. You think about what to do for the players getting up there in age (Willis, Kerr, maybe even Bowen), but these will likely be min salary slots or maybe draft picks.

timvp
04-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Guys what's with this bravado of your guru knowledge?

PFC, that was a tongue-in-cheek reference in response to what Patrick Davis said. I used his words against him:)

As far as would I think differently if the Spurs win the Championship, I think the answer would be yes. It would be hard to completely re-work a team that just won it all. But a key thing to remember is cap space like this comes along only once in a blue moon, so you have to take advantage of it.

It will be a fine line to walk.

pfc2002
04-03-2003, 05:27 PM
my bad. I got to cool it... :shock I'm high strung :pc2

SpursForever
04-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Kidd has now said he's staying in NJ. Read papers outside of SA.

Man in Black1
04-03-2003, 10:05 PM
MIB:
Have you ever tried to take a jump shot over a guy who has 6 inches on you? Its very hard to get a decent shot off. Tony gets open jump shots this season because of double teams and his quick shot off the dribble when bringing the ball up.Everyone will double off of Kidd if he is here, Kidd doesn't have that great of a shot.

Explain Allen Iverson, explain Jason Terry, explain David Wesley. 3 players different strengths...ALL 6'2 and all very capable guards. Tony should have shown you all by now that he is capable of relinquishing the ball at times. Bruce Bowen had 7 assists last night how does that happen? Tim Duncan gets a triple-double, what happened there? Speedy Claxton in 3 quarters almost got a triple-double,would've if Tim didn't steal his rebound. Get my drift? Pop's offense of share the ball has made TP at times a SG. Many of his tear drops are off passes from Manu or Tim. In short, Tony just didn't walk up the ball and then drive the paint to take the shot, he passed off first and in the flow, got the ball back to take the shot. He'd do the same thing next year as well.

Read my sig when it comes to Kidd's greatest strength.

Also, I would like to know how many people here have watched multiple Nets games. I watch him every chance I get so I will know his game better. I don't have NBA league pass so I can only watch him so much.

I have league pass and I can watch up to 40 games weekly, I've been watching the Nets, Dallas, LAL, LAC, New Orleans, Indiana, and all the teams that have restricted and Unrestricted Free Agent talent worth getting. You not having league pass works a bit against you. If you had it, you might start seeing how hard Kidd works. You'd see the high rebound totals, the ball-hawk D on the perimeter and many games of double figure assists due to pin point passing.

But I think some people are basing their opinions of things they have read and seen on tv. Don't forget, you disagree with these journalists when they say that Spurs will lose to the Lakers, but trust them when it is something you want to hear. Watch his games, watch Spurs games. They don't play close to the same way. I don't think Kidd will fit here. I know Parker does.
Thats human nature but in case you didn't notice, Parker's play of late has been more in the mold of shooting guard. How many times have we seen him look off open cutters to see the tear drop or jump shot fall? I'm not the only one here who has seen that. You have to acknowledge that. Just this last week, he looked off Manu who had an easy lane to the hoop just to challenge 3 people to get the circus shot. Another time, he could've dropped down a pss to Dave but took a fadeaway J instead. SG moves. I'm happy that the shots go in and that he didn't get hurt but if he makes those passes... NO issues, a great assist to TP and 2 easy points to Manu or Dave.

I'm not saying I'm a guru, I'm just putting in my 2 cents. I can honestly tell you this. I've been watching this PRO Game since the mid 70's. I can tell you a lot about this game and the players who have played it. That time spent wasn't just entertainment to me, its a full blown obsession. 28 years of watching this game has given me a bit of insight. Insight I'd like to share.

If you asked me about JK, I can tell you that if Kidd did come, San Antonio would be pencilled in as the FAVORITE for 2003-2004. If you asked me about Jermaine O'Neal, I'd tell you that he is a viable big with great skill but that he doesn't seem to be as big a team character guy like Kidd is.

I can also tell you that that Timvp knows his hoops as well. How many of us can honestly say we've at least played competitive COLLEGE BALL? At point guard no less.

I called you naive because I felt that you needed to expand yourself a bit. I enjoy your articles. They have a nice hometown slant. I feel that that slant needs to be skewed so you can see the whole picture. If you skew a little, you may then see Kidd as a possible addition and not a player who will distract. Great players make great teams even if the fit isn't quite right.

:white

timvp
04-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Damn.

Read that post and learn:smokin2

Marcus Bryant
04-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Exactly. There are two players who can carry a team available this summer...GP and Kidd. O'Neal is a great talent but he's not the type who can take over a game. Granted, this is like comparing a BMW and an Aston Martin to a Cadillac...the difference is important, yet slight. I'd be happy with any of the 3. But with JO'Neal the Spurs will have to look elsewhere for an offensive 2nd option.

timvp
04-03-2003, 11:04 PM
If Brand entered the equation, would you take him before either Kidd, GP or O'Neal?

Patrick Davis
04-03-2003, 11:25 PM
Great post MIB, and just to clarify, I gotta a lot of respect for timvp's basketball knowledge.

Parker isn't a shooting guard. He is the Spurs point guard and the Spurs have asked him to take shots to take pressure off of Duncan. Parker is still improving and Kidd is past his prime. If you want a dynasty, you need players to build around. Duncan is one, but both Kidd and Payton won't be around long enough to make us favorites for long. O'Neal will be turning 25 next season, while Kidd will be turning 31. We can shape O'Neal into exactly what I want. Kidd will try and shape the Spurs into what he wants. He doesn't fit, theres no sense trying to make him fit.

Truthsayer
04-03-2003, 11:47 PM
If the Spurs could sign Kidd for three years I would be all for him. But I would hate for the Spurs to be paying this guy between $15 and 20 million per year when 36 and 37 years old. Energy players like him are ineffective once they lose a step.

Payton could be signed for a whole lot less and for two or three years. He can play equally well at the PG or SG spot. He is a reliable shooter. He has all the skills Kidd has but has been playing in the Varsity conference. I don't think Kidd would be talked about as a lock for a max contract if he was playing on a Western Conference team.

Man in Black1
04-04-2003, 12:59 AM

If Brand enters the equation, then we have quite the conundrum. He is like Malik Supersized :fro

Has a great outside shot, can spin to left for a jump shot or spin to the right for an easy jump hook. I like him more than I like O'Neal because he has always been a "TEAM" 1st guy and his long arms allow him to play taller than he really is. Do I want him over Kidd? NO, but the gap isn't that large. If we got any of the premium FA's mentioned in this thread PLUS a solid role player, then the mins. I'm coo.
:hat

timvp
04-04-2003, 01:52 AM
If the Spurs could sign Kidd for three years I would be all for him.

Three or four years would be good, but there is no way that Kidd would ever go for it.

SequSpur
04-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Sign him up

Patrick Davis
04-04-2003, 05:13 AM
Kidd will improve the franchise for 2-3 years max, then he is wasting our cap space. O'Neal is helping us for 8-10 years.

Stevesdad
04-06-2003, 04:56 PM
I think that we do not need Kidd, and I know that both Kerr and Joel Myers (just for a couple of other folks) also think the same way.

You need to shore up your weakness. The Spurs are a defensive team first. In losing David we lose a part of that defensive nature.

Getting Kidd will not do that for us.

Let us spend the money wisely. Spending that much money for someone whom his position is already covered makes no sense.

I know that some talk about both of them playing at the same time but I do not think that is a wise move.

I say go after a big. Brand would be nice but reports I have heard do not make it seem likely. He is expected to stay there for another year so that he becomes an unrestricted free agent the following year and can go where he wants.

J. O'Neal would be nice but I don't know if he will come. Another option would be Rasho Nesterovic, Whatever you do then you can pop for a solid SF. I think that would set us up very nicely.

timvp
04-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Welcome stevesdad. Good to see you!

Make yourself at home.

Man in Black1
04-06-2003, 05:44 PM

You need to shore up your weakness. The Spurs are a defensive team first. In losing David we lose a part of that defensive nature.

If a team is adding ANOTHER ALL-NBA Defensive 1st Teamer, don't we gain more of a defensive nature?

QUESTION

Stevesdad
04-06-2003, 06:55 PM
Not necessarily. You might in the front court, but that would be at the sacrifice of the back court. At least IMO. With the loss of David I think you need to gain some of that back.

baseline bum
04-06-2003, 08:28 PM
we lose 12.5 million in cap space. we lose a being able to pay a better big. we lose Manu or TPark or Sjax (or 2 of the three).

pfc, I already lit you up on this in another thread. You pass on Kidd to sign Rasho and you end up with the ability to pay Manu about $500K more than the exception. You still have the $815K qual offer to Jax to allow the Spurs to sign him up to the MCX (by going over the cap) also, so Jax prob isn't going anywhere.

Not in the slightest. You never stop improving. Look at what Kuphack has gotten the Lakers into when he decided to just stick with a team that won the year before. Look at what happened to the Spurs when they were only able to replace a good player retiring with a couple of scrubs in 2000. They were a 5-seed until the last day and really had no shot at the repeat even if Duncan doesn't get hurt in Sac.

pfc2002
04-06-2003, 08:33 PM
lit me up? give me a break. you thought CKaman is a scrub and could get picked with our first round pick and that Scola will get 2 million :lol ...

I know that I don't have enought information to make a decision -- knowing what Duncan wants is the most important thing and also how players work on their game (TP, SJAX and Manu).. I'm having fun speculating. You seem to think that you know basketball better than everyone else. I'm not even arguing for what I want just that Kidd isn't a no brainer, lot's of smart basketball savy people think it's the wrong move.

baseline bum
04-06-2003, 08:36 PM
What do you think Scola signs for then? His buyout is supposed to be much larger than Manu's, and Gino got $1.4. You admitted you couldn't get Rasho for $5 million, so lets say he costs $6 and Scola $1. Same boat - you can pay Manu an extra $500K after adding your scrub center Kaman.

pfc2002
04-06-2003, 08:38 PM
DUDE I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT MY PLAN... I'm talking about your insistance that JKidd is a no brainer move, people know your arguements and still disagree. I think JKidd is the wrong move, I know basketball too -- those things aren't mutually exclusive...

baseline bum
04-06-2003, 08:43 PM
So is your alternative to sign no one, trade for Chris Kaman, and save $7 million for Manu?

pfc2002
04-06-2003, 08:47 PM
My plan (if we win the title) is to try to trade up to get Kaman for a decent overpaid veteran big expiring contract. Sign another veteran big for under 5 million. Now you have money in 2004... what you do with your space in 2004 you wait on. If manu plays great and earns more than the MLE you can afford it. If he doesn't you can spend it else where...

Man in Black1
04-07-2003, 01:27 AM

My plan (if we win the title) is to try to trade up to get Kaman for a decent overpaid veteran big expiring contract. Sign another veteran big for under 5 million. Now you have money in 2004... what you do with your space in 2004 you wait on. If manu plays great and earns more than the MLE you can afford it. If he doesn't you can spend it else where...

What decent overpaid veteran big do the Spurs have come July 1? Baseline, elighten us and post who the Spurs have under contract already for next year including option players.
I was under the impression that the only bigs we'll have come July 1 will be Tim at an option & Malik.

baseline bum
04-07-2003, 02:03 AM
For 2003-4 the Spurs have Malik, Bruce, Manu, and TP locked down. Duncan has an option.

I really hate that idea because Manu is nowhere close to an MCX player right now, and isn't worth sacrificing more than $9 million worth of capspace on.

Man in Black1
04-07-2003, 02:42 AM
So looking at Baseline's previous post,it concurs with my thoughts. So what decent overpaid big with an expiring contract is out there pfc to use in a trade to go up and get Kaman?

timvp
04-07-2003, 02:47 AM
I really hate that idea because Manu is nowhere close to an MCX player right now

By the time his contract is up, I bet A LOT of teams would be willing to throw the MCX at him. He's a good player right now, but he will make a big jump next season.

It would be wise to prepare for him to get around the MCX.

Patrick Davis
04-07-2003, 03:18 AM
Manu will get money when he is a free agent. I hope we give him that money.

pfc2002
04-07-2003, 09:43 AM
So looking at Baseline's previous post,it concurs with my thoughts. So what decent overpaid big with an expiring contract is out there pfc to use in a trade to go up and get Kaman?

I made a thread about it, regardless it would be a long shot anyway. I think we are in agreement on one thing -- Pop and RC are going to make the decision without consulting us. I think there are three main positions shaping up:

JKidd, max type big (O'Neal, Brand) or best available Big (Miller, Rasho) + other stud, and finally stay put (of course some minor signings) and plan how to keep the assembled championship team together (creative ways to put off using capspace for Manu and then for TP)

I happen to be in the last one you in the first. We'll see what happens

Big Syke
04-07-2003, 04:02 PM
THere is no question that Manu will get around five million when he is a free agent.

If you don't think a team like the Lakers wouldn't steal him from us in a heart beat then you are mistaken.

genghisrex
04-07-2003, 04:27 PM
THere is no question that Manu will get around five million when he is a free agent.

If you don't think a team like the Lakers wouldn't steal him from us in a heart beat then you are mistaken.A capped out team like the Lakers cannot steal Manu. The Spurs can very easily make Manu a restricted FA and match anything up to the MLE. Only teams with more than MLE money can try to nab Manu.

Big Syke
04-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Yeah I'm just saying that because someone said that Manu wasn't even going to get midlevel money ... the Lakers would give that to him in a heart beat.

timvp
04-07-2003, 06:04 PM
Teams will increase the price for the Spurs to re-sign Manu, especially if the Spurs are coming off a Championship:hat2

See: George, Devean

timvp
04-10-2003, 03:53 PM
After struggling for a long time, it looks like Kidd is picking it back up again.

Last five games:

21.0 PPG
9.8 APG
7.8 RPG
.448 FG%
.364 3P%
.882 FT%

Where do people stand now that the Spurs have won ten in a row?

KoriEllis
04-10-2003, 03:56 PM
sports.espn.go.com/nba/re...=230409001 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=230409001)

Kidd: 'As a team, we had no effort at all'

ATLANTA (AP) -- With Glenn Robinson hobbled by a strained Achilles' tendon, Ira Newble never knows when he might be inserted into the lineup.

He made the most of another chance Wednesday night.

Newble hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 1:38 left and the Atlanta Hawks held off a furious rally to beat the New Jersey Nets 97-92 Wednesday night.

"I don't find out if I'm starting or not until just before the game," said Newble, who had a season-high 16 points. "Glenn comes in to work on his injury, and then he decides if he can go.

"He's such an offensive weapon, when he's not in the lineup everybody has to step up. I just took my chances when they came and made some shots."

Shareef Abdur-Rahim added another 3 late in the game to extend the margin to six, and after Jason Kidd made a layup on the other end, Atlanta's Dion Glover made a free throw for the final margin.

Jason Terry scored 24 points for the Hawks, and Abdur-Rahim added 18 points and 15 rebounds. The Hawks improved to 6-3 without Robinson.

"We've played some good basketball," Atlanta coach Terry Stotts. "I think it's a credit to the guys that when they get the extra minutes, they play well and play together."

Kidd had his fourth triple-double of the season, totaling 23 points, 12 assists and 11 rebounds. The Nets lost for only the second time in eight games, but are just 16-23 on the road.

With Detroit's overtime victory over Chicago, New Jersey is tied for the top spot in the Eastern Conference with the Pistons.

"As a team, we had no effort at all," Kidd said. "We let our golden opportunity get away from us. I'm not surprised, just disappointed, considering what was at stake."

Newble, an improving shooter from long range who's made 35 percent this year, was wide open in the corner with the score tied and took a pass from Glover. Just as he shot, Atlanta guard Jermaine Jackson, sitting on the bench, stood up and raised both arms in the air to signal the shot was good.

It swished through to give the Hawks a 93-90 lead.

"I have been working hard on my shot, but you know what, it's mostly about confidence," Newble said. "The corner is my favorite spot, anyway, so I was looking forward to that shot."

Later, when Abdur-Rahim missed two free throws, Newble tipped the second miss back out, allowing Atlanta to keep possession. Terry then drove down the lane with the shot clock winding down, then shoveled the ball to Abdur-Rahim, who was all alone behind the line.

He made his only attempt from beyond the arc, and the Hawks had their third victory in four games.

"I had an idea what Jason was going to do, and I was just ready for the pass," Abdur-Rahim said. "I was still mad about missing both those free throws, so I had to get over it and make that shot."

The Nets trailed by 17 early in the fourth quarter, but used a 14-0 run in a span of little more than two minutes to get back in it. Stotts was forced to call two timeouts during the surge, which started after Kidd put back his own missed 3-pointer.

Kidd had seven of the points during the run, and Rodney Rogers had a jumper and a 3-pointer.

"Some nights -- and this was one of those nights -- I have nobody running with me," Kidd said. "That's my game, to have somebody running with me. That didn't happen until the fourth quarter."

New Jersey eventually tied it at 87 on a 3-pointer by Kerry Kittles, setting up the finish.

"I think it's tough to win a game when you don't come out to play," Nets coach Byron Scott said. "That's the bottom line. We had one guy that understood what this game meant and how important this game was, and that was (Kidd).

"We didn't even show up until the fourth quarter."

Glover scored 18 points for Atlanta and Theo Ratliff had 13.

Big Syke
04-11-2003, 12:26 PM
"As a team, we had no effort at all," Kidd said. "We let our golden opportunity get away from us. I'm not surprised, just disappointed, considering what was at stake."

Wow that is a harsh statement:shock

I bet Pop could get him if he wanted him.

timvp
04-23-2003, 02:30 PM
After Parker's struggles in the first two games of the Suns series, does anyone want to change their stance?

SequSpur
04-23-2003, 02:42 PM
No, not yet, Kidd is not a shooter... We need a PG who can shoot...

SpursForever
04-23-2003, 03:31 PM
He's staying with New Jersey. Get over yourself, Spur Fans:flipoff

Jimcs50
04-23-2003, 03:39 PM
Kidd bricked the game winner last night from inside 15 ft. He is not worth 13 mil to the Spurs when we achieved the best record with a 20 yr old pt guard who is only going to get better and better. Lets put this Kidd issue to bed....please!

Morphgizmo
04-23-2003, 03:49 PM
Kidd bricked the game winner last night from inside 15 ft.

He also gagged on an open three just seconds before that would have tied the game. Luckily for him, Tim Thomas and Desmond Mason did their best Tim Duncan and Tony Parker impressions from the free throw line which allowed him to even have that last shot at tying.

In Kidd's defense, he did have a pretty decent game with seventeen points, eight assists and seven boards. Those seven turnovers didn't help their cause though.

LakerLanny1
04-23-2003, 03:50 PM
He is overrated. Starbury had a better year and is more dangerous.

timvp
04-23-2003, 03:51 PM
Game 2 showed the downside of Kidd.

Who is going to come to his support?

MadeFromDust
05-28-2003, 01:30 PM
Tony Parker is unbelievably inconsistent. Kidd is the best. Bring Kidd this summer!

Oh, and *BUMP* :hat