PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs should fire Brian White

RobinsontoDuncan
08-11-2021, 04:29 AM
If Sengun comes out like gangbusters in the NBA regular season and keeps looking as good as he looks in pre-season, then Brian Wright should be fired.

I don’t really care about Josh Primo’s potential, he’s just that at this point — potential. Missing on Halliburton was one thing, but taking a wild swing and a miss of this magnitude for a franchise like the Spurs which relies on the draft more than any other franchise has to have consequences.

Fans should demand it.

Rummpd
08-11-2021, 04:38 AM
Entire farce of FO should be disbanded. Primo was a bad selection at 12 (would have been ok at 25) but tip of the iceberg for the overall incompetence of this crew. Signing back Forbes just icing on the cake.

spurspl
08-11-2021, 05:10 AM
Entire farce of FO should be disbanded. Primo was a bad selection at 12 (would have been ok at 25) but tip of the iceberg for the overall incompetence of this crew. Signing back Forbes just icing on the cake.

dont forget about signing zollins and its only one offseason that hasnt ended yet. Last years ware not good either.

rankingtear
08-11-2021, 06:30 AM
Choosing Sengun over Primo is like choosing Bagley over Doncic. He is a generational talent , surefire hall of famer, better than Tim. If this were 2001 top 1 pick easy. Farce ( x 3 ) FO.

spurs50_
08-11-2021, 06:40 AM
Fire the puppet master first.

eDizzle20
08-11-2021, 07:33 AM
This Rockets team is gonna be fun to watch.

The Truth #6
08-11-2021, 07:33 AM
Right, screw Brian White! But can Brian Wright keep his job?

Atl Spur
08-11-2021, 08:08 AM
Right, screw Brian White! But can Brian Wright keep his job?

Lol��

superbigtime
08-11-2021, 08:41 AM
who's that

cd98
08-11-2021, 09:02 AM
If Sengun comes out like gangbusters in the NBA regular season and keeps looking as good as he looks in pre-season, then Brian Wright should be fired.

I don’t really care about Josh Primo’s potential, he’s just that at this point — potential. Missing on Halliburton was one thing, but taking a wild swing and a miss of this magnitude for a franchise like the Spurs which relies on the draft more than any other franchise has to have consequences.

Fans should demand it.

The measure of a good GM should not be all the draft picks they miss out on because that happens to every GM every year. Most of the people who get the gems that others miss out on would probably not have taken the same player if they had an earlier draft pick. It's kind of silly because we can go through every draft and find maybe 5 guys that are all stars or even starters and they are sprinkled through the draft at different spots, showing that GMs pick the wrong guys all the time. We won't know if Wright made the right call on Primo for at least two years. He's younger than top prospects coming into college THIS year. I think Wright should be judged on free agent signings and trades because that is where there is less room for error and where a GM earns their reputation.

NASpurs
08-11-2021, 09:11 AM
The measure of a good GM should not be all the draft picks they miss out on because that happens to every GM every year. Most of the people who get the gems that others miss out on would probably not have taken the same player if they had an earlier draft pick. It's kind of silly because we can go through every draft and find maybe 5 guys that are all stars or even starters and they are sprinkled through the draft at different spots, showing that GMs pick the wrong guys all the time. We won't know if Wright made the right call on Primo for at least two years. He's younger than top prospects coming into college THIS year. I think Wright should be judged on free agent signings and trades because that is where there is less room for error and where a GM earns their reputation.

So still fire his ass.

J_Paco
08-11-2021, 09:39 AM
So still fire his ass.

He acquired size and three- point shooting, whether you or I like everyone or not, and didn't sign any huge albatrosses that would hinder future cap flexibility.

It wasn't a home run free agency, but they're finally going to lean on the young players and sink or swim.

Exactly what most wanted on here and in the Spurs community, but I forget all the armchair GM's here have all the answers.

Note: I didn't like all of his moves either (Forbes & Z. Collins), but neither is for huge money and we'll have to see how they pan out.

onechance87
08-11-2021, 09:59 AM
Signing top free agents is out of our hands....But drafting good talent is in our hands....Somebodys head should roll if primo is a bust and other players drafted after him are legit....Only time will tell

Maddog
08-11-2021, 10:00 AM

Fans should demand it.
Possibly 15 other GMs also

Choosing Sengun over Primo is like choosing Bagley over Doncic. He is a generational talent , surefire hall of famer, better than Tim. If this were 2001 top 1 pick easy. Farce ( x 3 ) FO.

OK
I'm pretending this is sarcasm.

Final word
Remember
Kyle Anderson 2105 Summer league MVP

Leetonidas
08-11-2021, 10:04 AM
You'd think after so many years, people would stop nutting themselves over summer league. Wasn't Kyle Anderson the MVP of the summer league one year? :lol these games are meaningless, and extrapolating them into the actual season is just dumb

not to say that I don't agree with the OP, but not because we passed on Sengun :lol

cd98
08-11-2021, 10:10 AM
Yes, summer league games are about reps, not monster performances in one game. There are scrubs all the time in the NBA that have one outlier game and that's in the NBA. Summer league is no difference.

John B
08-11-2021, 10:54 AM
I’ll wait until the whole free agency unfolds. I’m very curious of the end product. Or is this it? Because me personally, Spurs could’ve taken Sengun or Jalen Johnson that would’ve been comparable to a John Collins signing but 20 million a year less. Because Houston, Atlanta, Golden State, they all just got much better.

PrimeMinister
08-11-2021, 11:09 AM
Dave telep, RC, and Pop are the ones who make these decisions. Primo’s coach at Alabama talked a bit about his conversations with Telep and how important that was in their selection process.

Brian is the dude who manages the outlook inbox and sets calendar appointments

hate the pick, like the pick, whatever. But that’s how the sausage is made.

baseline bum
08-11-2021, 11:13 AM
He acquired size and three- point shooting, whether you or I like everyone or not, and didn't sign any huge albatrosses that would hinder future cap flexibility.

It wasn't a home run free agency, but they're finally going to lean on the young players and sink or swim.

Exactly what most wanted on here and in the Spurs community, but I forget all the armchair GM's here have all the answers.

Note: I didn't like all of his moves either (Forbes & Z. Collins), but neither is for huge money and we'll have to see how they pan out.

Really no such thing as albatrosses in the age of 4 year contracts unless you're talking about edge cases like old ass Chris Paul.

vy65
08-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Yes, summer league games are about reps, not monster performances in one game. There are scrubs all the time in the NBA that have one outlier game and that's in the NBA. Summer league is no difference.

Good thing we load-managed our 18 year old

MaNu4Tres
08-11-2021, 02:02 PM
Really can't believe people still think Brian Wright makes the decisions.

RobinsontoDuncan
08-11-2021, 02:18 PM
Really can't believe people still think Brian Wright makes the decisions.

If he isn’t making the decisions than why is he in the job? And whoever is responsible should be fired.

Look, this Primo pick should be career ending. This isn’t a case like last year where reasonable minds could disagree, but everyone could pretty much understand why Devin Vassel was picked where he was, and it turned out Halliburton was the much better player. This is a case where the Spurs, who are almost entirely dependent on the draft for major talent acquisition, made a decision that looked objectively horrible at the time the decision was made while players that appeared to be clearly better were available. The decision is looking worse now, and will probably look shockingly bad by mid-December.

Now it has become increasingly clear that Primo is a) a total project that may not even pan out to be more than a role player (if that) in the NBA given his rawness and lack of athleticism, and b) the guy that fills the biggest need on the roster, who most people thought the Spurs should pick is proving to be the real deal athletically in the NBA (the number one knock on him was this issue). Fact is, there are several players that look far more likely to be contributors and NBA players taken after Primo.

I defended the Spurs on the Luka pick, because at 19 I can justify a gamble on a high upside guy like that, especially in a weaker draft year. I have generally defended them on most of their decisions, but this one should be career ending. This was just the second lottery pick for the Spurs this millennium, you really can’t air ball the shot this badly and recover. They could have literally gone in multiple different directions and I would have been fine with it, but fans shouldn’t just pretend this isn’t a sign of complete and total incompetence and demand accountability.

KobesAchilles
08-11-2021, 04:17 PM
We are very close to being the Kings. We have to pray that we hit on our draft picks bc otherwise we are the Kings. Every other CA team gets talked about as nice places to live/play but not Sacramento. Same with us compared to Dallas and Houston. Will ownership meddle in the future? I think they will.

We have nobody in line to replace the coach which is why they are so panicked about Pop retiring. We have zero good assistant coaches. Our draft pick is being said by literally everyone here that we have to wait two years. Well ok we miss the playoffs for two more years and that’s 4 straight years. Which of the older youth do we end up keeping?

Do we have to rebuild after tanking bc we messed up on our draft picks? How long do we keep saying give him two years and give him two years. That’s a game that can be played forever. We draft a guy at the #5 pick and we say give him two years. We draft a guy with the 6 pick the next year and it’s give them 2 years. This can snowball very fast

I believe we have witnessed the end of SA being a well run organization. It was a great ride, an amazing time to be a fan. But we are at the point where we have to rely on other teams incompetence to succeed instead of us being the reason why we succeed

gambit1990
08-11-2021, 05:37 PM
fire him? he's gonna take over for RC and pop :lol

baseline bum
08-11-2021, 05:47 PM
I love the argument that Cousin may have been a lottery pick next year. So take someone who might be a lottery pick next year over someone who we know is legit lottery talent right now? Never knew it would get worse than the fucking Gasol contract with this front office, but here we are.

timtonymanu
08-11-2021, 05:50 PM
Firing White? You son of a bitch, I'm in.

cjw
08-11-2021, 06:15 PM
We are very close to being the Kings

The Spurs have drafted better than the Kings despite picking many spots later on average…

Halliburton looks very good but defensive metrics were bad last year. Let’s grade him vs Vassell in a few years

But before that..

Traded 2019 first in a deal for basically nothing that was universally panned. Spurs picked Luka and Keldon. One of those guys just won a gold medal.

2018: Bagley #2 vs. Walker #18

2017: Fox #5 and Josh Jackson #15 vs. White #29

2016: Chriss #8 vs. Murray #29

Before that was Cayley-Stein #6, Stauskas #8, McLemore #7, Thomas Robinson #5, Biyambo #7

Their best draft pick outside of Fox the past decade was probably Isaiah Thomas at #60.

Spurs had a few spotty picks but generally have drafted outstandingly considering where they’ve been in draft. They are not the Kings.

ducks
08-11-2021, 08:27 PM
I would fire pop first then have new gm pick coach

Atl Spur
08-11-2021, 08:33 PM
The Spurs have drafted better than the Kings despite picking many spots later on average…

Halliburton looks very good but defensive metrics were bad last year. Let’s grade him vs Vassell in a few years

But before that..

Traded 2019 first in a deal for basically nothing that was universally panned. Spurs picked Luka and Keldon. One of those guys just won a gold medal.

2018: Bagley #2 vs. Walker #18

2017: Fox #5 and Josh Jackson #15 vs. White #29

2016: Chriss #8 vs. Murray #29

Before that was Cayley-Stein #6, Stauskas #8, McLemore #7, Thomas Robinson #5, Biyambo #7

Their best draft pick outside of Fox the past decade was probably Isaiah Thomas at #60.

Spurs had a few spotty picks but generally have drafted outstandingly considering where they’ve been in draft. They are not the Kings.

These people don’t care about facts........

J_Paco
08-11-2021, 09:39 PM
If he isn’t making the decisions than why is he in the job? And whoever is responsible should be fired.

Look, this Primo pick should be career ending. This isn’t a case like last year where reasonable minds could disagree, but everyone could pretty much understand why Devin Vassel was picked where he was, and it turned out Halliburton was the much better player. This is a case where the Spurs, who are almost entirely dependent on the draft for major talent acquisition, made a decision that looked objectively horrible at the time the decision was made while players that appeared to be clearly better were available. The decision is looking worse now, and will probably look shockingly bad by mid-December.

Now it has become increasingly clear that Primo is a) a total project that may not even pan out to be more than a role player (if that) in the NBA given his rawness and lack of athleticism, and b) the guy that fills the biggest need on the roster, who most people thought the Spurs should pick is proving to be the real deal athletically in the NBA (the number one knock on him was this issue). Fact is, there are several players that look far more likely to be contributors and NBA players taken after Primo.

I defended the Spurs on the Luka pick, because at 19 I can justify a gamble on a high upside guy like that, especially in a weaker draft year. I have generally defended them on most of their decisions, but this one should be career ending. This was just the second lottery pick for the Spurs this millennium, you really can’t air ball the shot this badly and recover. They could have literally gone in multiple different directions and I would have been fine with it, but fans shouldn’t just pretend this isn’t a sign of complete and total incompetence and demand accountability.

Of course he's raw, he's only 18 years old!

He doesn't have an elite first- step, but that doesn't mean he's unathletic.

Had he stayed in school another year then likely would've gone top 5 or 10, so grabbing him a year early to get him in your developmental program is fine.

And he's already shown good leadership, a smooth jump shot (off the bounce, catching and shoot & stepping back) & a good feel for the game So, I'm not sure where you are seeing his ceiling being only a role player (he already displays advanced moves that our main guards lack on offense).

Give the kid TIME to develop, learn and grow then comeback in two, three or four years crying about the pick.

J_Paco
08-11-2021, 09:42 PM
I love the argument that Cousin may have been a lottery pick next year. So take someone who might be a lottery pick next year over someone who we know is legit lottery talent right now? Never knew it would get worse than the fucking Gasol contract with this front office, but here we are.

What is more valued guard play with perimeter shooting or interior play?

The kid came out early and is younger than many (top) players in next year's class, plus not playing him allows them to acquire another high pick.

Again, develop him while seeing what you have now and get another high pick next season.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-11-2021, 10:14 PM
Firing White? You son of a bitch, I'm in.

I’m with you, you son of a bitch. Pull the f’in trigger, Pop!

John B
08-11-2021, 10:15 PM
What is more valued guard play with perimeter shooting or interior play?

The kid came out early and is younger than many (top) players in next year's class, plus not playing him allows them to acquire another high pick.

Again, develop him while seeing what you have now and get another high pick next season.
So we are assuming that Primo could be top 5 lottery caliber next year, and then we pick another top 5? So Spurs become competitive on the 3rd year, 2023-24. Murray would be on his last year, maybe expecting a near max contract if he continues to improve, likewise Vassell’s contract would be expiring. Primo, if he pans out as a top 5 player, could be asking a Rookie Max extension. Gosh, we could be losing players that year. I bet it would be Murray with Klutch Sports. :lol

Hmm 3 years from now :stirpot:

rudwick
08-11-2021, 10:22 PM
He’s pretty good when healthy, but it seems like he is always injured. I don’t think you can fire players on guaranteed contracts though.

KobesAchilles
08-11-2021, 11:03 PM
These people don’t care about facts........
These people weren’t drafted by Brian Wrong. But I’m the one who doesn’t care about facts

rascal
08-12-2021, 04:54 AM
Should have drafted Moses Moody

ducks
08-12-2021, 11:33 AM
It does not matter if he is white blue red green black orange
He is not qualified to do the job
Ask the 45 president of the USA would say You Are Fired

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-12-2021, 12:11 PM
TBH, he fits the M.O. of a prototypical "Yes" man. He's merely pulling the levers he's being told to pull. More of a puppet than a true GM. Anyone who believes he's running anything from a decision-making standpoint is delusional.

RobinsontoDuncan
08-12-2021, 12:11 PM
It was 5am ET when I wrote the first post and I made a typo (although it’s kind of been a funny addition to the thread).

Would be happy if TimVp would/could change the threat title, but you all know who I meant.

John B
08-12-2021, 12:21 PM
I'm warming up with the idea that we drafted a potential top 5 player next year, instead of a 10-20 caliber this year.

I mean the kid is 18. He has some advanced game for his age. Develop him early. Pair him with another top pick next year.

There's a risk, but it could have huge upsides. Our scouts must have seen something really impressive to be willing to take that gamble.

And if that pans out, the Spurs would've done it again! Either way, Brian has big cojones to pull something like that.