PDA

View Full Version : Oberto finds the going tough

Kori Ellis
11-22-2005, 03:51 PM
ARG - Oberto finds the going tough

FIBA.com

SAN ANTONIO (NBA) - San Antonio Spurs' new signing Fabrico Oberto is discovering just how tough life is in the NBA. "It's another world," the Argentinian forward told Chile's La Tercera newspaper.

"European basketball is very demanding, but the truth is that here everybody works even harder.

"Players here live for basketball 24 hours a day. It's incredible."

And Oberto is optimistic that San Antonio will make the NBA play-offs this season. He said: "We are one of the candidates for the title, although it's not enough to have big names.

"We're a team who have been playing well, but some rivals also beat us, so nothing is easy. I'm looking forward to winning a place in the squad. Then, I'll start to think about the titles I could win with the Spurs."

But Oberto denied he was feeling any pressure after joining the same team as fellow countryman Emanuel Ginobili.

"Manu is valuable for San Antonio," said Oberto. "He's a great player who turned into a league star.

"It's common for people to compare me to Manu because I'm Argentinian too, but we play in different places of the court.

"I've always played next to other great figures of basketball. I don't feel I'm neither the shadow of Ginobili and, what is important, he never makes me feel that.

"We're good friends and help each other."

ChumpDumper
11-22-2005, 03:54 PM
He's getting better, but reports of his starting by New Year's seem way off base.

Brutalis
11-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Yeah he will not be starting. Noob thing to say.

Oberto looks good. Pop isnt asking a whole lot right now of him, and he is still being aggressive and a rebound whore. Which Pop loves.

He will gradually be worked more and more into the lineup as Nazr gets shipped for KG!

FromWayDowntown
11-22-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm glad to know that Oberto is optimistic about the Spurs chances of reaching the playoffs this season.

I'm coming around to that notion, too.

Old School Chic
11-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Go Fab Go! :spin

tekdragon
11-22-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm glad to know that Oberto is optimistic about the Spurs chances of reaching the playoffs this season.

:lol Come on...let's not be premature.

Kobayagi
11-22-2005, 05:55 PM

It's gonna be tough....I hope we can make it. :rolleyes

T Park
11-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Oberto is easily the most overhyped player the Spurs have had since Derek Anderson and Carl Herrera.

leemajors
11-22-2005, 06:44 PM
it's hard to get used to the nba game at 10 mins a night. i think he is doing well and should be a valuable player off the bench in the 2nd half of the season. again, i love his effort on the boards.

Vashner
11-22-2005, 09:08 PM
Oberto's job = Keep Manu happy :)

TDMVPDPOY
11-22-2005, 09:10 PM
oberto is a bust, dude cant jump more then 1mm of the ground :(

spurster
11-22-2005, 09:12 PM
He needs to learn how to jump.

exstatic
11-22-2005, 11:33 PM
For big dudes, jumping is overrated. If you can box out, pass, set a good pick, and get good rebounding position, you can play in the NBA. I don't know if many of you know this, but I'll let you in on a little secret: Tim doesn't jump very damn high, either.

The sides of the NBA highway are littered with guys who could jump high. They just couldn't figure out what was going on around them, or where to be on the court.

whottt
11-23-2005, 12:28 AM
If a C isn't better than Shaq, they suck. Period.[/Spurfans]

Kori Ellis
11-23-2005, 12:34 AM
For big dudes, jumping is overrated. If you can box out, pass, set a good pick, and get good rebounding position, you can play in the NBA. I don't know if many of you know this, but I'll let you in on a little secret: Tim doesn't jump very damn high, either.

The sides of the NBA highway are littered with guys who could jump high. They just couldn't figure out what was going on around them, or where to be on the court.

I don't want him to jump high. I want him to jump.

If a rebound is in his vincinity, he reaches for it on his tiptoes. He rarely leaves the ground. I don't know if he's used to not having to jump or what. But he's going to have to leave the ground every once in awhile and snag some boards.

He's decent. He's about what I thought he'd be.

SequSpur
11-23-2005, 12:36 AM
Oberto is fine. He just needs to get used to the NBA game. Alot of crap happens in 24 seconds. It seems that the focal point of the offense know is to jam it in the lane first by Parker, then 4 down, then Manu time, then inside out.

The games that I have watched, this is exactly what is going on. Oberto needs to be physical and it will all work out.

I believe that Rasho will eventually be given a promotion to cotton candy seller by Valentines Day. Maybe even a ticket tearer.

LilMissSPURfect
11-23-2005, 12:40 AM
I believe that Rasho will eventually be given a promotion to cotton candy seller by Valentines Day. Maybe even a ticket tearer. :lol :lol

rasho is da man!

T Park
11-23-2005, 02:12 AM
I don't want him to jump high. I want him to jump.

Damn, there goes Kori making too much sense again.

Oberto is fine

You realize, Nesterovic averages more points and rebounds than Oberto, right?

whooops.......

SequSpur
11-23-2005, 02:14 AM
You realize that Rasho sat and watched the Finals just like you and I did?

Oh burn.

Solid D
11-23-2005, 06:31 AM
I think I saw the Kings adjust their D on Rasho Monday night when he got off 8 points in 2 minutes. I think they actually thought about doubling him once. :lol

Oberto is picking up the Spurs offense and defense each game a little more. His defensive rotations are much quicker than they were in pre-season. He needs to learn how to take a charge (from Manu), though. Hold your ground Fabio.

TP and NVE have missed seeing him wide open rolling to the basket a couple of times. I don't like the form on his outside shot (flat) but he is pretty good at finishing and cleanup work around the rim. He shows good experience at holding guys off with one arm while going for rebounds.

T Park
11-23-2005, 09:18 AM
He shows good experience at holding guys off with one arm while going for rebounds.

But then he forgets to JUMP to rebound, and lets others get the board.

You realize that Rasho sat and watched the Finals just like you and I did?

What the fuck does this have to do with Oberto?

He wasn't even on the team last year moron.

So how can you compare them using last year.

So no, uh "burn" :wtf

SequSpur
11-23-2005, 11:26 AM
dudes been in the nba for 10 games and you expect him to be shaquille oneal.

cheguevara
11-23-2005, 12:36 PM
dudes been in the nba for 10 games and you expect him to be shaquille oneal.

exactly! the dude's an NBA rookie what do u expect?? give him some time, I still beleive he'll be starting soon :smokin

beck253
11-23-2005, 01:11 PM
You realize, Nesterovic averages more points and rebounds than Oberto, right?

whooops.......

Actually, Rasho plays exactly TWICE as minutes as Oberto and he only gets 4.0 rebs to 3.1.

If Fabricio played those minutes, he would have a 6.0 to 4.0 advantage.

Chechk your numbers first, dude.

cheguevara
11-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Oberto is easily the most overhyped player the Spurs have had since Derek Anderson and Carl Herrera.

Then if we go by your logic, Finley is the most overhyped Spur ever.

howard2
11-23-2005, 04:02 PM
He's getting inconsistent minute so far.
We will just have to wait and see if he works out in a month or so.

leemajors
11-23-2005, 04:32 PM
if he is contributing on a consistent basis by march it is a huge plus. there is no hurry.