PDA

View Full Version : SI: Bringing Bryn Forbes back into the fold was smart

Uriel
08-31-2021, 09:40 AM
San Antonio Spurs

The Spurs are rebuilding for the first time in more than 20 years, and in doing so they’ve acquired helpful assets (like a first-round pick from the Bulls for DeMar DeRozan), plug-and-play spacers whose gravity makes life easier for everyone else (Doug McDermott), selfless veterans who double as attractive trade chips (Thad Young) and low-risk, high-reward reclamation projects (Zach Collins, whose three-year, $22 million contract guarantees only $10.7 million (https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1425663063160655872)).

(The Spurs also jumped into the five-team Westbrook blockbuster to swap Nikola Milutinov’s draft rights for the right to take a flier on Chandler Hutchison. Milutinov was never likely to play a game in San Antonio. It’s not the most meaningful play of all time but could be something for nothing.)

Things could’ve gone a lot worse. Armed with a bunch of cap space, it didn’t splurge in a futile attempt to make the play-in or damage its flexibility going forward. Instead it's able to start over with Dejounte Murray, Derrick White (also attractive in a potential deal), Keldon Johnson, Josh Primo, Devin Vassell, Tre Jones, Luka Šamanić, Lonnie Walker and Jakob Poeltl.

For an organization that would love to retain as much corporate knowledge as it can, bringing Bryn Forbes back into the fold was smart, too. The sun sets on every reign sooner or later, but if at least one of their young pieces makes a substantial leap, they get some lottery-related luck, then wisely utilize all the cap space they’ll still have next summer, the Spurs should see it rise again before too long.

Grade: B
https://www.si.com/nba/2021/08/24/nba-offseason-report-cards-western-conference-grades

MultiTroll
08-31-2021, 09:49 AM
:sucker

Mr. Body
08-31-2021, 09:58 AM
Yup.

If he plays huge minutes at the expense of others, it's another issue. Otherwise he's here as a culture fit. Forbes is actually a veteran who knows what winning deep in the playoffs is like and has deeper roots with the organization than most.

MultiTroll
08-31-2021, 10:01 AM
Yup.

If he plays huge minutes at the expense of others, it's another issue. Otherwise he's here as a culture fit. Forbes is actually a veteran who knows what winning deep in the playoffs is like and has deeper roots with the organization than most.
Ya he and Patty sure took us a long way with that culture thing and Pattys 2014 experience.

SpursDynasty85
08-31-2021, 10:17 AM
At 1/4 price of Murray’s contract it’s a good deal. I fully expect him to lightly come off the bench.

I think this signing should worry Walker the most. If Walker can’t improve his handles, contact around the basket, and improve his defense Spurs will weigh his value against Forbes. Walker will have to out beat Forbes. Might light a fire under him.

itzsoweezee
08-31-2021, 10:18 AM
Yup.

Lol. This is what we used to call swagger jacking

cd98
08-31-2021, 10:52 AM
Yup.

If he plays huge minutes, it all but guarantees us getting into the lottery, which can only be a good thing.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-31-2021, 12:06 PM
I was mostly pleased with what the Spurs did this off season. Not high on the Forbes signing, obviously, but as a one-year contract it's slightly more palatable. He can only help us reach that top 5 draft choice tier, so hopefully Pop gives him lots of run.

MultiTroll
08-31-2021, 12:14 PM
:rollin BSPN posting a video today featuring Bryn telling:
"Knowing I've worked harder then anyone else. Knowing that I've done 3 workouts when other people has done 1 or 2. That's probably the biggest thing for me...."
Camera pans to Bryn Bryn working out in gym.

Next super woke CIA Popped verifying and praising how Bryn Bryn "well ok, that's what you thought all of you out there. I'm going to prove you wrong because i believe in myself. He approaches it in a really positive way. Because of that he's carved himself a really nice NBA career."

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-31-2021, 12:22 PM
:rollin BSPN posting a video today featuring Bryn telling:
"Knowing I've worked harder then anyone else. Knowing that I've done 3 workouts when other people has done 1 or 2. That's probably the biggest thing for me...."
Camera pans to Bryn Bryn working out in gym.

Next super woke CIA Popped verifying and praising how Bryn Bryn "well ok, that's what you thought all of you out there. I'm going to prove you wrong because i believe in myself. He approaches it in a really positive way. Because of that he's carved himself a really nice NBA career."

He has definitely beaten the odds. Dude should be a backup two in China right now, and look where he is. Amazing.

MultiTroll
08-31-2021, 12:38 PM
He has definitely beaten the odds. Dude should be a backup two in China right now, and look where he is. Amazing.
For sure.
We'll see how he does with a coach not named Pop or Bud. Or will we? Spur for life? (of Popped).

Regardless 40+% on treys is going to keep getting you looks as a late bench player on a lot of teams.
Notice he played less and less and finally Bud took him out entirely after two Phoenix Finals games.

How far have the Spurs fallen from the days of Duncan to where there is hope playing the new signing will sink us low enough in the lottery to improve.

widowmaker
08-31-2021, 12:57 PM
I give the signing an F. You don’t need this guy on the team to tank. Hea just gonna make it super hard to watch the games

Mr. Body
08-31-2021, 01:22 PM
Lol. This is what we used to call swagger jacking

Huh. Your stupid analogy happens in sports all the time.

Floyd Pacquiao
08-31-2021, 02:08 PM
We need Forbes to show the team how to be the worst defensive player in the league

Joseph Kony
08-31-2021, 02:20 PM
Yup.

https://i.ibb.co/kgCpvzg/sniffing-doggy.gif

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Mr. Body
08-31-2021, 02:24 PM

This board is like a gigantic jerkoff motion.

Joseph Kony
08-31-2021, 02:26 PM
This board is like a gigantic jerkoff motion.

Nah, just calling out retarded takes by sniffers like yourself that thumb their nose at everyone else here :lol

baseline bum
08-31-2021, 02:29 PM
Forbes is actually a veteran who knows what winning deep in the playoffs is like

Can't wait for his speech to the team about how winning deep in the playoffs is like sitting on the bench because you lost your spot in the rotation to the corpse of Jeff Teague's career.

spurraider21
08-31-2021, 02:30 PM

https://i.imgur.com/vDxJOf6.gif

benefactor
08-31-2021, 02:38 PM
:lol Urinal
:lol Mr. Buttbuddy

Uriel
08-31-2021, 02:56 PM
Repost ≠ endorsement

Mr. Body
08-31-2021, 03:04 PM
Nah, just calling out retarded takes by sniffers like yourself that thumb their nose at everyone else here :lol

Thank God I thumb my nose at the legion of losers here. You guys are like a marvelous pyramid of shit-dripping clowns. It's amusing to watch, but ultimately a normal person has to ask themselves why.

Joseph Kony
08-31-2021, 03:20 PM
Thank God I thumb my nose at the legion of losers here. You guys are like a marvelous pyramid of shit-dripping clowns. It's amusing to watch, but ultimately a normal person has to ask themselves why.

You thumb your nose because you're a sniffer with horribly shitty takes. :lol the only shit dripping clowns here are the ones like yourself that blindly suck off PATFO for signing Forbes but scoff at any trade discussions.

Gagnrath
08-31-2021, 05:16 PM
Eh, I am ambivalent about the Forbes signing. I don't like the guy as a starter or real minutes back up. As a guy to change pace and make their defense run their ass off through 3 picks from Poetl or Londale across the elbows for a three minute stretch to give white or Murray a breather. Sure that's cool.. For a couple of games here and there for a bit of insurance as a ball handler/shooter? Well ok thought with Trey and Primo that was covered but sure, why not. He's like a human forceps though... He's very good for spreading a defense of the other side and has no other reasonable use.

ismael-robert
08-31-2021, 05:20 PM
Joseph n I on same page here. Mrs body accuses us of being one big jerkoff motion while being Mary Palmer n her 5 sisters to patfo

ismael-robert
08-31-2021, 05:22 PM
Eh, I am ambivalent about the Forbes signing. I don't like the guy as a starter or real minutes back up. As a guy to change pace and make their defense run their ass off through 3 picks from Poetl or Londale across the elbows for a three minute stretch to give white or Murray a breather. Sure that's cool.. For a couple of games here and there for a bit of insurance as a ball handler/shooter? Well ok thought with Trey and Primo that was covered but sure, why not. He's like a human forceps though... He's very good for spreading a defense of the other side and has no other reasonable use.

Also very good spreading his legs for other side

MultiTroll
08-31-2021, 05:28 PM
Forbes is actually a veteran who knows what winning deep in the playoffs is like and has deeper roots with the organization than most.
Do you think with his self assessment "I work harder then anyone else does" attitude he can attain a Mark Madsen level status?
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BothTidyDogwoodtwigborer-small.gif

Robz4000
08-31-2021, 07:53 PM
Fvck!

RD2191
08-31-2021, 08:28 PM
Yup.

Permaban this scrub. :lol

Spurs Homer
08-31-2021, 08:39 PM
At 1/4 price of Murray’s contract it’s a good deal. I fully expect him to lightly come off the bench.

I think this signing should worry Walker the most. If Walker can’t improve his handles, contact around the basket, and improve his defense Spurs will weigh his value against Forbes. Walker will have to out beat Forbes. Might light a fire under him.

you NEVER learn , do you?

how many times has this happened where gullible spurs fan regurgitate the old

"well, IF pop uses him sparingly"

hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

im calling it now

the indestructible Forbes will start 82 games and AVERAGE 30 mins a game and keep youngsters in Austin or glued to the bench

raybies
08-31-2021, 09:03 PM

gaht dam LUL

Fireball
09-01-2021, 01:51 AM
Dear SI,
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Best regards,
Spursfan

timtonymanu
09-01-2021, 02:17 AM
Yup.

Sonofabitch, I'm in.

ismael-robert
09-01-2021, 06:55 AM
Son of a b I'm...nah nevermind ur just a sob for that post