BatManu20
09-07-2021, 09:19 AM
:lobt2:

Uriel
09-07-2021, 09:29 AM
Umm. So who are we gonna cut?

Chinook
09-07-2021, 09:29 AM
So this isn't an X-10 deal, since I believe that those can only be one-year contracts. That means KBD is officially competing for a roster spot. The team should have an open two-way slot to use, hopefully on a depth PG. They were looking way overloaded on wings before this -- which is almost absurd to consider.

Dex
09-07-2021, 09:37 AM
So if my count is right....

Murray/Jones/Primo
White/Walker/Forbes
Johnson/Vassell/Samanic/Beta-Diop
Young/McDermott/Collins/Aminu
Poeltl/Landale/Eubanks

2-way: Wieskamp, ???

Still leaves us at 17? I think Aminu is obviously on the chopping block, but who else?

Somehow we went from overloaded on guards to overloaded on power forwards :lol

Chinook
09-07-2021, 09:41 AM
So if my count is right....

Murray/Jones/Primo
White/Walker/Forbes
Johnson/Vassell/Samanic/Diop
Young/McDermott/Collins/Aminu
Poeltl/Landale/Eubanks

2-way: Wieskamp, ???

Still leaves us at 17? I think Aminu is obviously on the chopping block, but who else?

Somehow we went overloaded on guards to overloaded on power forwards :lol

A trade remains possible. But now that Hutch is cut, it's clear guys some Spurs fans assume were completely safe aren't. The Spurs had no incentive to sign KBD at all if they didn't think he has a chance to make the team.

Dex
09-07-2021, 09:44 AM
A trade remains possible. But now that Hutch is cut, it's clear guys some Spurs fans assume were completely safe aren't. The Spurs had no incentive to sign KBD at all if they didn't think he has a chance to make the team.

Especially on a two-year deal. Maybe that was just good bargaining by his agent, but it's hard to see them inking him to multiple years just to cut him in camp. Guess it remains to be seen how much of that is guaranteed though.

Dverde
09-07-2021, 09:46 AM
I liked KBD play last year. Nice bench player who can hit open threes. He didn’t try to do too much out there.

Chinook
09-07-2021, 09:51 AM
Especially on a two-year deal. Maybe that was just good bargaining by his agent, but it's hard to see them inking him to multiple years just to cut him in camp. Guess it remains to be seen how much of that is guaranteed though.

Oh no, the years definitely came from the Spurs. KBD had no negotiating leverage to demand guaranteed money. The length was the trade-off for not having to take a two-way deal.

That said, I think if SA knew they were going to cut him, they wouldn't jerk him around like this. If he's cut from this, he's a UFA. No, automatic two-way conversion. No d-league rights. All gone. MAYBE he's just insurance against a trade, but I think he's got a real chance, which means Sam, Eubanks and Landale are officially on notice.

rjv
09-07-2021, 09:52 AM
maybe the spurs will have two separate squads-black squad and silver squad.

Dex
09-07-2021, 10:03 AM
This all would seem so much simpler if we hadn't signed Forbes.

Fvck!

John B
09-07-2021, 10:05 AM
I like Diop. He’s athletic who has a nose for the ball, and can occasionally hit the 3. It’s a success story for this kid who’s been severally cut but persisted. Insurance for Samanic getting traded?

mo7888
09-07-2021, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure this changes anything as far as the roster goes... I mean we could clear things up with a big trade...and then again we could just waive Aminu and trade Thad into space somewhere.

Chinook
09-07-2021, 10:17 AM
So to be clear, KBD last name isn't "Diop". It's Bates-Diop. Just like KAT's first name isn't "Karl". It's Karl-Anthony. I'm all for nicknames and stuff, but when a person has a hyphenated name, you can't just lop one off. It'd be like calling Murray, De. Sure, as a nickname it's cool, but it's not like De is his first name, Jounte his middle and Murray his last.

Not going at anyone in particular with that, but I did just fine it important to get out there.

Chinook
09-07-2021, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure this changes anything as far as the roster goes... I mean we could clear things up with a big trade...and then again we could just waive Aminu and trade Thad into space somewhere.

Into space... somewhere...

Dex
09-07-2021, 10:19 AM
So to be clear, KBD last name isn't "Diop". It's Bates-Diop. Just like KAT's first name isn't "Karl". It's Karl-Anthony. I'm all for nicknames and stuff, but when a person has a hyphenated name, you can't just lop one off. It'd be like calling Murray, De. Sure, as a nickname it's cool, but it's not like De is his first name, Jounte his middle and Murray his last.

Not going at anyone in particular with that, but I did just fine it important to get out there.

Yeah my bad, I got lazy and didn't feel like going back and fixing it :lol That's why I just stick with KBD most of the time.

stephen jackson
09-07-2021, 10:26 AM
Spurs suck

mo7888
09-07-2021, 10:34 AM
Jeff McDonald is now saying it was a 2-way contract.

Chomag
09-07-2021, 10:39 AM
This roster makes no sense... I guess we will see what the plan is soon but maybe some needs to remind Mr. Wrong that we have to many players because there is a good chance he doesn't realize this.

cd98
09-07-2021, 10:40 AM
I thought he played solidly in the few minutes he got.

mo7888
09-07-2021, 10:44 AM

Now he's deleted it...

J_Paco
09-07-2021, 10:47 AM

I would take a one more two - way - with the possibly of a better offer next offseason - then possibly having to cut him, Landale or Eubanks.

Happy the guy is back cause he brings more youth (still only 25 yrs. old), defensive versatility and size that the team sorely lacks.

Now he's deleted it...

Damn it! Getting my hopes up that they found a way to retain all the young 3's, 4's and 5's for nothing.

Well, hopefully they'll figure it out soon cause I'd like to see them keep a lot the young interior guys and have them compete for time/roles.

KingKev
09-07-2021, 10:48 AM
Hhha why are the guaranteeing all of these end of bench 12-15th red shirts when we don’t have the space? We are lottery bound for the foreseeable future how many make a wish players can we sign? The big boy team is slowly turning into the Austin Spurs.

Mugen
09-07-2021, 10:53 AM
I would not be surprised at all if this retarded FO flat out cut Luka :lol

J_Paco
09-07-2021, 10:57 AM
Hhha why are the guaranteeing all of these end of bench 12-15th red shirts when we don’t have the space? We are lottery bound for the foreseeable future how many make a wish players can we sign? The big boy team is slowly turning into the Austin Spurs.

This is such a stupid take.

You gotta get creative and find diamonds in the rough (Bruce Bowen), reclamation projects (Stephen Jackson) & overseas talent (Aron Baynes) to fill out your roster too.

There is a thing where you need 15 - 17 when including 2 - Way deals - players and having depth is good. It might not be great depth, yet, but they have to find good or servicable talent to get there.

Mr. Body
09-07-2021, 11:02 AM
Good for him. He was much more prepared and effective in limited time than some other players (coughSamaniccough) last year.

Dex
09-07-2021, 11:12 AM
Now he's deleted it...

Think I'm gonna have to trust Woj over McD:lolnald on this one

KingKev
09-07-2021, 11:18 AM
This is such a stupid take.

You gotta get creative and find diamonds in the rough (Bruce Bowen), reclamation projects (Stephen Jackson) & overseas talent (Aron Baynes) to fill out your roster too.

There is a thing where you need 15 - 17 when including 2 - Way deals - players and having depth is good. It might not be great depth, yet, but they have to find good or servicable talent to get there.

No this was a stupid take. Bruce Bowen was acquired via free agency and was sure to make the team at the time of signing. I wish the Spurs would take more chances on a guy like Stephen Jackson, none of these signings are even close to Stephen Jackson. Baynes was added midseason with little guarantee and after proving himself was resigned for a needed role. Signing multiple players with arguable upside to guaranteed money and limited spots does not make sense to me unless there is a trade lined up.

KingKev
09-07-2021, 11:23 AM

Well said. I don’t agree with this strategy. Someone take the XBox controller away from Brian Wright.

Dejounte
09-07-2021, 11:35 AM
No this was a stupid take. Bruce Bowen was acquired via free agency and was sure to make the team at the time of signing. I wish the Spurs would take more chances on a guy like Stephen Jackson, none of these signings are even close to Stephen Jackson. Baynes was added midseason with little guarantee and after proving himself was resigned for a needed role. Signing multiple players with arguable upside to guaranteed money and limited spots does not make sense to me unless there is a trade lined up.

What would the team achieve by signing a Stephen Jackson caliber player? Raise the team’s floor by 5 wins? Why?

KingKev
09-07-2021, 11:55 AM
What would the team achieve by signing a Stephen Jackson caliber player? Raise the team’s floor by 5 wins? Why?

Take a flyer on someone who can flat out ball and let Pop work his magic if the fella needs a father figure. Regardless my argument was that we don’t need to be guaranteeing any of these recent signings when we don’t have the roster space and I suspect they have very little, if any interest away. We are near 20 deep with 7 guys who are borderline NBA players. I do not understand this strategy. In the absence of a trade these guys coulda been picked up cheaper midseason. If not available there are 50 other borderline guys who can be had cheaper. Depth, no matter how shallow is useless when you are already lottery bound. I would salut these last few signings when we were on the verge of competitiveness. PATFO needs to realize we are a bottom 5 team and adjust their strategy. Actually they should have realized that 2 yrs ago.

JeffDuncan
09-07-2021, 12:00 PM

People might find a stats comparison interesting between Jackson and Thaddeus Young, for their career numbers. Btw

Glad to see the signing of Diop. He hasn't had a lot of opportunity but he's looked like a useful player to have around.

KingKev
09-07-2021, 12:11 PM
People might find a stats comparison interesting between Jackson and Thaddeus Young, for their career numbers. Btw

Glad to see the signing of Diop. He hasn't had a lot of opportunity but he's looked like a useful player to have around.

Both damn solid NBA players although Stephen Jackson hit big shots time after time and was crucial in an NBA title run. I like the KDP signing in isolation. I like the Jok one outright, could get on board with Bryn Forbes if it was to fill an empty slot. However, in the absence of a trade we now have to cut and pay two of Aminu, Walker, Luka, Drew, KDP and Jok. Probably Aminu and Eubanks.

Degoat
09-07-2021, 12:35 PM
Interesting stuff tbh Glad to have Diop back. Gonna be extremely interesting to see what the spurs are planning. I think Aminu and Luka will be waived

Chinook
09-07-2021, 12:39 PM
Jack is massively overrated by Spurs fans for obvious reasons, but yeah, I have suggested the Spurs should look at talented guys who are falling out of the league because of personality issues. When they were a contender, it made sense to avoid them. But they shouldn't convince themselves that blue-collar, character guys are going to have the same inherent advantages as they used to. Not only are those head-cases able to help put points on the board for the Spurs, but they make decent trade chips later on.

DPG21920
09-07-2021, 01:03 PM
Into space... somewhere...

Boston makes sense from a fit for Thad and they have a TE without needing to send anyone back…

KingKev
09-07-2021, 01:14 PM
Boston makes sense from a fit for Thad and they have a TE without needing to send anyone back…

That actually would work well. We need to move on something like this sooner rather then later before there are no dance partners left. If I’m Thad’s agent I'm telling him we can probably get him bought out mid season and he can sign wherever he wants if he just shows up for a few months and is a professional. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Thad is genuinely in the Spurs plans to be marginally competitive.

DPG21920
09-07-2021, 01:27 PM
There’s no way SA should be buying Thad out at any time..

KingKev
09-07-2021, 01:28 PM

Agreed but there is precedence.

Dex
09-07-2021, 01:30 PM
Agreed but there is precedence.

If you are talking about LaMarcus, he was one of San Antonio's biggest premier free agent signings ever and put in a good 5.5 years with the Spurs. Sure, there was some friction...but they made it work out and he helped keep the Spurs relevant for a while.

Thad Young is...well....Thad Young. He's done nothing to earn the loyalty card yet.

BillMc
09-07-2021, 01:32 PM
If it is down to Luka, KBD and Eubanks, I kinda think Drew is gone.

Dex
09-07-2021, 01:37 PM

Landale: "I'll be your Drew"

KingKev
09-07-2021, 01:39 PM
If you are talking about LaMarcus, he was one of San Antonio's biggest premier free agent signings ever and put in a good 5.5 years with the Spurs. Sure, there was some friction...but they made it work out and he helped keep the Spurs relevant for a while.

Thad Young is...well....Thad Young. He's done nothing to earn the loyalty card yet.

LMA, Pau and DeMarre. It doesn’t take much. Be a statesman and a buy out is on the table. They get to play for a contender and we get goodwill. Let’s try and get something in return before it gets to that point and there are few trading partners available is my argument but we are getting off topic here.

The loyalty card has become a race to the bottom. It’s like an Oprah giveaway; you getta….

Dex
09-07-2021, 01:54 PM
LMA, Pau and DeMarre. It doesn’t take much. Be a statesman and a buy out is on the table. They get to play for a contender and we get goodwill. Let’s try and get something in return before it gets to that point and there are few trading partners available is my argument but we are getting off topic here.

The loyalty card has become a race to the bottom. It’s like an Oprah giveaway; you getta….

They got rid of Carroll just so they didn't have to keep looking at his stupid ass outfits, tbh

rankingtear
09-07-2021, 02:09 PM
Jack is massively overrated by Spurs fans for obvious reasons, but yeah, I have suggested the Spurs should look at talented guys who are falling out of the league because of personality issues. When they were a contender, it made sense to avoid them. But they shouldn't convince themselves that blue-collar, character guys are going to have the same inherent advantages as they used to. Not only are those head-cases able to help put points on the board for the Spurs, but they make decent trade chips later on.

Like Marcus Morris?

offset formation
09-07-2021, 02:12 PM

I'd be on a hiatus, **if they do this,** until Wright is gone.

KingKev
09-07-2021, 02:16 PM
They got rid of Carroll just so they didn't have to keep looking at his stupid ass outfits, tbh

We will never know but if 75% of San Antonio Spurs fans have a problem with my style i’m probably doing something right.

offset formation
09-07-2021, 02:19 PM

Would make sense they didn't waive him so he at least got guaranteed dollars. Very Spursy way of cutting a guy that had pit in time with the organization.

KingKev
09-07-2021, 02:19 PM
Like Marcus Morris?

What is the argument here? Morris got double to play in NYC, prick move but tell me you wouldn't do the same? Also, he wasn’t falling out of the league. The San Antonio Spurs really have become Hoosiers west; fans and all.

Chinook
09-07-2021, 02:20 PM
Like Marcus Morris?

Nah. More like Kevin Porter Jr or Josh Jackson.

timvp
09-07-2021, 02:28 PM
Good signing. I'm guessing it's two years at the minimum with some of it guaranteed. In exchange for the bit of guaranteed money, I'm assuming the second year is a totally non-guaranteed. Even if the entire first year is guaranteed, I like the signing. KBD on a minimum-ish deal is a helpful -- if unexciting -- piece to a bench unit.

I'm assuming that means Jeffries gets the second two-way contract unless someone more interesting emerges. Jeffries would be a good two-way contract but not so good that the Spurs should rush to lock him in.

Roster-wise, yeah, Aminu is the only obvious cut. I'd be really surprised if it's Landale or Eubanks. Landale is interesting enough to keep around for at least a year and Eubanks has shown enough to stick at his price tag.

It looks like it could come down to KBD vs. Samanic. It's tough to get a read one what the Spurs actually think of Samanic. There's a chance he's on thin ice -- but there's also a chance that his roster spot is completely safe. Hard to tell. I want the Spurs to keep him and give him a chance to earn notable minutes .... but a lot of the issues with Samanic in Europe were behind the scenes (not a hard worker, aloof, etc.) so it's quite possible that the Spurs have seen enough and want him gone.

If Zollins' ankle bone explodes again before the start of the season, I'd imagine he gets cut. It's also very probable that the Spurs have various roster-trimming trades on the table.

Even in a scenario where the Spurs end up cutting KBD despite owing him guaranteed money, that's NBD, tbh. It's worth locking him in now and worry about the roster cuts at a later date.

rankingtear
09-07-2021, 02:37 PM
What is the argument here? Morris got double to play in NYC, prick move but tell me you wouldn't do the same? Also, he wasn’t falling out of the league. The San Antonio Spurs really have become Hoosiers west; fans and all.

The point is that they don't avoid all of them.

jjspur
09-07-2021, 02:40 PM
At least KBD will give you a few quality minutes. The spurs are probably already looking at who they may cut even before training camp starts. KBD signing may be insurance in case something unexpected happens before the season starts. He isn't bad, he isn't great but he does what he is asked to do and doesn't complain. :greedy

KingKev
09-07-2021, 02:47 PM
The point is that they don't avoid all of them.

Get it and good point although that debacle probably will continue to make them think twice.

spurraider21
09-07-2021, 03:04 PM
i like eubanks as the 3rd center, but it doesnt make sense to carry a 4th C, and i dont think they brought SOB over only to cut him in favor of eubanks

Ocotillo
09-07-2021, 03:16 PM

Yeah, enough of this buying guys out and subsidizing a player for a contender. I actually want a vet on the team and he fits the bill but if he doesn't fit into your plans, get something, anything for him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-07-2021, 03:20 PM
I'd say I can't imagine Luka being on the block to be cut given what we saw out of him when he actually got some run last year, but we've got a senile old fool and the NBA's worst GM making decisions. So yeah, it's possible.

TD 21
09-07-2021, 03:52 PM
Despite a likely partial guarantee on the first season, he's probably still a long shot, but it's a clear indication Samanic isn't the stone cold lock many seem to think/hope and in a general sense, they probably don't want a bunch of fringe players on a bad team thinking they're safe.

Young for a 1st into the Celtics' TE probably sailed with the acquisition of Hernangomez, which means the only way to trade for him without either bringing back a player(s) or at least increasing the number, is to include a third team, like the Thunder (a good 2nd for Smith? a bad 2nd for Eubanks? a 2nd via the Timberwolves to absorb Prince?) who have the roster and cap space to absorb a body.

KingKev
09-07-2021, 03:55 PM
I'd say I can't imagine Luka being on the block to be cut given what we saw out of him when he actually got some run last year, but we've got a senile old fool and the NBA's worst GM making decisions. So yeah, it's possible.

Luka was drafted 20 slots too early and was always 2 years away from being 2 years away. If the rumblings about his work ethic and supposed “low character” are true he probably is close to the exit whether warranted or not. Either way this is all a rounding error.

Mugen
09-07-2021, 04:00 PM

Aggie gets it ^ :lol

objective
09-07-2021, 04:34 PM
Goodbye Luka ....

I'm flying over you ...

Goodbye Luka ....

But seriously, I think Luka has more potential to be a player than KBD, but it is what it is.

He wouldn't be the first player cut by the Spurs who went on to a long career. JaMychal Green, Garrett Temple, Ian... It happens.

Chinook
09-07-2021, 04:41 PM
^^ Yeah and just like with Scola, it doesn't really matter. You gotta be willing to move on. Of course, I don't know that Luka has all that much more potential than KBD anyway if he loses out to him in a straight competition in camp. It's like how folks kept saying for years that a bunch of replacement-level two-guards were better than Danny Green. Years and titles later, eventually one just has to give up the ghost and admit being a good role-player takes skills and that not every prospect can do it.

objective
09-07-2021, 05:01 PM
Scola mattered big time, he was a playoff rotation caliber player. Dumping Scola at minimum cost them a series win or two, maybe even more.

Luka and KBD are just guys hoping to get in a 10 man rotation for a lottery team, and probably won't no matter who wins.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-07-2021, 06:43 PM
This all would seem so much simpler if we hadn't signed Forbes.

Fvck!

:lol

I couldn't have said it better myself!

LittleCriminal
09-07-2021, 07:10 PM
KBD is playing for playing for The San Antonio Spurs.. Get over it!! Geez.

The Truth #6
09-07-2021, 08:30 PM
It seems like the FO is prioritizing flexibility, but it makes trying to understand their motivations hard to decipher, more than usual, in my opinion. I want to think that the KBD signing is a leverage to motivate Luka to prove himself, which would be a good idea. I think Luka would have to be really bad in preseason to cut him.

Or, maybe I'm in denial that the team would just straight cut Luka. That seems insane to me, especially since the FO are the ones who reached for him, and so they should factor a full 3-year timeline into their development expectations. I do think Luka has learned to somewhat get along with teammates and smile at times. And hey, he may have his own youth and demons he's working through. And maybe there is behind the scenes stuff going on that has already burnt a bridge. But that's not my read of the situation. We'll see.

Fusternino
09-07-2021, 08:41 PM
A lot of this simply makes more sense had the team never signed Forbes.

tmtcsc
09-07-2021, 09:18 PM

That might be the smartest thing they did in a long time.

Em-City
09-08-2021, 05:23 AM
Take a flyer on someone who can flat out ball and let Pop work his magic if the fella needs a father figure. Regardless my argument was that we don’t need to be guaranteeing any of these recent signings when we don’t have the roster space and I suspect they have very little, if any interest away. We are near 20 deep with 7 guys who are borderline NBA players. I do not understand this strategy. In the absence of a trade these guys coulda been picked up cheaper midseason. If not available there are 50 other borderline guys who can be had cheaper. Depth, no matter how shallow is useless when you are already lottery bound. I would salut these last few signings when we were on the verge of competitiveness. PATFO needs to realize we are a bottom 5 team and adjust their strategy. Actually they should have realized that 2 yrs ago.

At this point, Pop is more of a senile grandfather figure. And we aren't a competitor so the enticement of winning a ring isn't there for these kind of players.

TimDunkem
09-08-2021, 08:27 AM
We drafted a guy at 19 who might not have as much potential as KBD....lol PATFO

Dex
09-08-2021, 08:52 AM
We drafted a guy at 19 who might not have as much potential as KBD....lol PATFO

To be fair, Brian Wright thought he was drafting the other Luka. Simple mistake.

TimDunkem
09-08-2021, 08:58 AM
To be fair, Brian Wright thought he was drafting the other Luka. Simple mistake.

Got Puka instead...smh I'm going on a shitposting spree if they cut the POS. It was a bad pick from day one, and yet so many were eager to take a bite of that Puka Sammich...

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-08-2021, 09:08 AM
it's frustrating because sammich has the physical attributes AND the basketball skills ... but so far something about that boy aint right

timvp
09-08-2021, 04:00 PM
Spotrac has KBD's contract listed as one-year at the minimum and it being completely unguaranteed. If that's correct, then he's far and away the most likely to be released. At that price tag, he's basically a training camp body who would only make the team if there's a trade or Zollins' ankle implodes in the next month.

Woj said it was a two-year contract ... so not sure if Spotrac is correct but they usually end up being right.

Larry O
09-08-2021, 05:00 PM
it's frustrating because sammich has the physical attributes AND the basketball skills ... but so far something about that boy aint right

Yeah, truly a head scratcher as to why Luka hasn't excelled in the way he has expected to. I believe everyone deals with pressure & high expectations differently. For a 19 year old kid coming from Croatia to the US; to play in the best basketball professional league in the world (NBA), & to be drafted to one of the most successful & well respected NBA franchises in the Spurs, & to play for one of basketball's GOAT coaches in Pop, could have been overwhelming for a kid far from home. I'm sure that he was homesick, too, but I'm sure that he was a bit immature, as well, having to deal with all of those high expectations & pressures. Learning to adjust to the NBA; a new culture, & the Spurs' system, could have been a bit overwhelming that first year, into his second. To me, he's always seemed to be distant from the players on the team at first. He didn't seem to be connected & clicking with his teammates at first. But last season, you started to see him open up a little bit, & be more comfortable with them. His confidence, I believe, will key for this guy to have a successful NBA career. That will come with more consistent playing time for him, which I think, that this may be the year that he will have a break-out year to hopefully see the Luka we were told about in his days in the Euro Leagues, as well as seeing flashes of him being a really good basketball player. With his growing confidence, hopefully, we may get to see better shooting percentage; more points scoring & increased aggressiveness from him, on both the offensive & defensive sides of the court. Looks like from some of the social media pics & info that was seen on him this summer, Luka has been working on his body & his game! I'm sure that PATFO had told him that he needed to work on his game & body this summer, & if so, the sky is the limit for him to earn consistent minutes, either as a starter or coming off the bench, especially now that RG22 is gone. l'm looking forward to seeing what new stuff he has in his bag, as well as how he will respond in training camp. I'm rooting for him to do well & to succeed going forward. GSG!!!

Chinook
09-08-2021, 05:04 PM
I was honestly expecting a two-year min deal with almost nothing guaranteed. Seems like KBD had no interest in a two-way and SA had no interest in a real deal. Odd that they wouldn't renounce him.

Though a one-year deal leaves open a chance for an X-10 provision, meaning he might end up as a two-way after all.

BackHome
09-08-2021, 06:02 PM
Luka not going anywhere when he got playing time he produced and showed he deserves to be in the NBA - The Spurs though let Rudy get all the minutes knowing he would have to find another team this season. One reason I think Luka stays is that he showed good defense and actually was working really well with Poodle. One thing people forget about Pop is he has ZERO patience for players who forget there defensive rotations hence Walker always getting pulled - I would not be surprised if he get moved

Robz4000
09-09-2021, 12:15 AM

Kinda like DeMarre Carroll tbh.

Edit: :lol I need to learn to read the whole thread

Robz4000
09-09-2021, 12:16 AM
Double Post

KingKev
09-09-2021, 05:53 AM
Luka not going anywhere when he got playing time he produced and showed he deserves to be in the NBA - The Spurs though let Rudy get all the minutes knowing he would have to find another team this season. One reason I think Luka stays is that he showed good defense and actually was working really well with Poodle. One thing people forget about Pop is he has ZERO patience for players who forget there defensive rotations hence Walker always getting pulled - I would not be surprised if he get moved

Rudy Gay is an NBA level talent. With it Luka remains to be seen. Also DDR consistently forgot or did not care to remember his defensive rotations. Forbes might remember them but is not capable of executing them regardless but you are talking about 2005 Pop not 2021 Woke Pop.

LaMarcus Bryant
09-09-2021, 11:34 AM
Is this Dessagngna Diop's brother?

SpurSpike
09-09-2021, 07:57 PM
Damn, lots of people down on luka. Why? We all knew he would be a 3 year project. He hasn't really had much playing time either. Judge him after this season.

baseline bum
09-09-2021, 08:36 PM

Damn, lots of people down on luka. Why? We all knew he would be a 3 year project. He hasn't really had much playing time either. Judge him after this season.

Meh the guy had a sub 10 PER last year despite being a 6'10" PF. That's pretty hideous for a guy who isn't a defensive ace. I hope he really shows something in training camp and preseason to justify a roster spot but I'm not holding my breath for it to happen. Maybe there was a reason he didn't get much playing time. And he's a few months shy of 22, it's not like we're talking some 19 year-old oozing with potential. I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm not expecting much out of him.

BatManu20
09-10-2021, 10:26 AM
Don’t think Luka is going anywhere. We knew he was a project coming in. Only 21 and has shown flashes. Still has high upside. That said, he needs to show more consistency this season when (and if) he gets PT. Will be interesting to see how Pop uses him with all our vets gone.

timvp
09-10-2021, 02:26 PM
So, I was told Woj is correct and KBD's contract is for two years with the second year is totally unguaranteed (but becomes guaranteed on opening night of that season). The first year is at least partially guaranteed and might be completely guaranteed. If that's the case then, yeah, KBD and Samanic remain the two most likely to miss the final cut assuming Aminu gets waived, there are no trades and Zollins' ankle bone remains in one piece.

JeffDuncan
09-10-2021, 03:36 PM
So, I was told Woj is correct and KBD's contract is for two years with the second year is totally unguaranteed (but becomes guaranteed on opening night of that season). The first year is at least partially guaranteed and might be completely guaranteed. If that's the case then, yeah, KBD and Samanic remain the two most likely to miss the final cut assuming Aminu gets waived, there are no trades and Zollins' ankle bone remains in one piece.

Spotrac is now showing that about Diop. Two years, this season fully guaranteed, next season to be guaranteed if he's on the roster on opening night next season.

I don't think it's a golden parachute for Diop. I think they're hoping he'll make the roster.

Training camp and preseason will be unusually intriguing this year, not because of any great aspirations, but because of so many questions about who'll make the team.

Having lost DDR, LMA, Rudy, and Patty, the focus now has to be on scoring. That's 21.6 + 13.5 + 11.4 + 10.8 = 57.3 ppg that have walked out the door. Who's going to score the points for the Spurs this season? Is the question.

KingKev
09-10-2021, 06:56 PM
Spotrac is now showing that about Diop. Two years, this season fully guaranteed, next season to be guaranteed if he's on the roster on opening night next season.

I don't think it's a golden parachute for Diop. I think they're hoping he'll make the roster.

Training camp and preseason will be unusually intriguing this year, not because of any great aspirations, but because of so many questions about who'll make the team.

Having lost DDR, LMA, Rudy, and Patty, the focus now has to be on scoring. That's 21.6 + 13.5 + 11.4 + 10.8 = 57.3 ppg that have walked out the door. Who's going to score the points for the Spurs this season? Is the question.

Bryn Forbes

jjspur
09-11-2021, 11:20 AM

The opportunities to score and rebound will be there for a number of players. No more excuses that vets get all the playing time. The young guns can up their scoring and rebounding as well as the new guys. A few guys like Luka and KBD or even Jock Landale will also get a real chance but if they don't produce it's hasta la vista baby for them. Sorry but you have to find another team to pay your unmotivated butt.

BackHome
09-11-2021, 06:42 PM
I am just looking at growth for each player as long as they getting better and staying healthy that is what I am looking for. Even if they do one thing good lets say Walker is great on Offense but terrible on defense I still want him to play because we either going to re sign him or trade him so sitting him because he makes a stupid mistake is not smart Short term or Long term.

Only way they going to get better is to play through there mistakes and see if they can figure it out themselves - If they can't then if a Good Offer comes mid season you make the trade or at end of season you do a trade or just don't sign them but at least they got a real opportunity to show what they have or in some cases don't have

Trill Clinton
09-11-2021, 06:45 PM

After 3 years of development he better put up some big numbers this year. I'd hate to waste all that time for him to continue being a scrub.

tonight...you
09-11-2021, 08:07 PM
After 3 years of development he better put up some big numbers this year. I'd hate to waste all that time for him to continue being a scrub.
I don't want no scrub.
A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me.

tbdog
09-12-2021, 12:35 AM
Will KBD be a rotational player for a playoff series in the next three years? Doubtful. Then I don't see much of the point of the signing. He won't have trade value unless he achieves that status. And he is so low on the pecking order that I can't foresee any meaningful minutes.

exstatic
09-18-2021, 07:28 PM
Will KBD be a rotational player for a playoff series in the next three years? Doubtful. Then I don't see much of the point of the signing. He won't have trade value unless he achieves that status. And he is so low on the pecking order that I can't foresee any meaningful minutes.

You…need 15 roster players, and he came at minimum. Sometimes, you can overthink things.

J_Paco
09-19-2021, 03:33 PM
You…need 15 roster players, and he came at minimum. Sometimes, you can overthink things.

Especially with a guy that has shown some defensive upside, versatility & size. Which are the things Spurs are still desperately in need of until they find one or more franchise changing level players.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-26-2021, 05:58 PM
I like him. Glad we gave him a contract. He can have Forbes’ roster spot.

Fvck!

John B
12-24-2021, 01:46 AM
https://twitter.com/josh810/status/1474268642875523072?s=21

Tim Duncan: 33 pts on 11/14 to shut down the Forum
Keita Bates-Diop: 30 pts on 11/11 to shut down Staples

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/9cd6d23a-9884-446c-ba60-84b3ae72ae0f
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/b4aa5e33-8b68-4ee7-b02d-e374b34c7263

John B
12-24-2021, 02:02 AM
I’m happy for Diop. He’s another Danny Green story with capitalizing on the 2nd chance. And the real reason why Samanic is wiping the GLeague while KBD was lighting up the Staples. Great game KBD!

T Park
12-24-2021, 02:16 AM
If Bates-Diop can fix the hitch in his jump shot, he’s going to turn into a damn solid bench long 4

BillMc
12-24-2021, 02:42 AM

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/9cd6d23a-9884-446c-ba60-84b3ae72ae0f
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/b4aa5e33-8b68-4ee7-b02d-e374b34c7263

Amen Bro.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-24-2021, 02:50 AM
Apart from shooting incredibly, which you can call fluky, KBD was the best LeBron defender too. He usually contributes beyond his counting stats. Perfect 10th man.

Chinook
12-24-2021, 08:38 AM

Seamless transition

exstatic
12-24-2021, 08:53 AM
Tied a Spurs record with that 11-11, along with Fabricio Oberto. Also, the first Spur to drop 30 in a game this year.

CGD
12-24-2021, 09:44 AM
“Time to sell high” takes coming in 3..2..1…

BacktoBasics
12-24-2021, 10:36 AM
“Time to sell high” takes coming in 3..2..1…

Obviously if the right deal presents itself and we need the filler but role players like this are the exact type of glue guys we need if we can find a more prudent way to add a needle moving player.

I’d rather look to FA or the draft than gut out team for someone else’s malcontent.

Sugus
12-24-2021, 12:36 PM
Obviously if the right deal presents itself and we need the filler but role players like this are the exact type of glue guys we need if we can find a more prudent way to add a needle moving player.

I’d rather look to FA or the draft than gut out team for someone else’s malcontent.

Yeah, selling high makes sense when there's actual value to be extracted out of it. No team is shelling out a FRP over Bates-Diop dropping 30 on the Geriatric Fakers. He's worth much more to the Spurs than other teams, especially given the lack of depth we have at PF.

Seventyniner
12-24-2021, 01:38 PM
I didn't see this coming at all. My main gripe with KBD was that he brought as little on offense as Forbes does on defense, but last night certainly proved that wrong.

lefty20
12-24-2021, 04:39 PM
As far as I'm concerned, KDB earned his contract salary just by helping us bend over LBJ and the Lakers to close out Staples era. Anything else he does will be gravy now.

baseline bum
12-24-2021, 04:59 PM
But think what Samanic could have done in Staples.

bdictjames
12-24-2021, 07:47 PM
Tied a Spurs record with that 11-11, along with Fabricio Oberto. Also, the first Spur to drop 30 in a game this year.
This one was a little better, given that he hit a few threes as well. Although if I'm not mistaken, Fabricio hit all of his free throws that game. I miss Fabi, man.

Sugus
12-24-2021, 07:56 PM
As far as I'm concerned, KDB earned his contract salary just by helping us bend over LBJ and the Lakers to close out Staples era. Anything else he does will be gravy now.

Facts. I don't think he's a very good player, but he earned his stripes last night.

John B
12-25-2021, 07:22 AM
Facts. I don't think he's a very good player, but he earned his stripes last night.
Last night was pretty lucky hitting 11-11 fg. But he plays very good defense, he has length and size, and last night he showed that he could score. Spurs found another Danny Green imo.

exstatic
12-25-2021, 07:53 AM
Last night was pretty lucky hitting 11-11 fg. But he plays very good defense, he has length and size, and last night he showed that he could score. Spurs found another Danny Green imo.

I think the only part that was truly lucky was the 3-3 three pointers. Everything else came within the offense on cuts and pick and rolls. He scored a lot because he played a lot of minutes, mostly at center when LA went with LeBron at Center. No shot blocker kind of opened the basket to him. Of the other 8 baskets, I think they were mostly layups or dunks.

John B
12-25-2021, 08:22 AM
I think the only part that was truly lucky was the 3-3 three pointers. Everything else came within the offense on cuts and pick and rolls. He scored a lot because he played a lot of minutes, mostly at center when LA went with LeBron at Center. No shot blocker kind of opened the basket to him. Of the other 8 baskets, I think they were mostly layups or dunks.

KBD has great length, likes to play defense, great attitude and seems to be a hard worker, and last night showed is very capable of scoring. I wonder if he’s just a late bloomer.

Maddog
12-25-2021, 10:50 AM
But think what Samanic could have done in Staples.

Miss a couple of coverages, make one play to keep you intrigued about his potential.....

BillMc
12-25-2021, 10:53 AM

This man is wise

exstatic
12-25-2021, 11:44 AM
KBD has great length, likes to play defense, great attitude and seems to be a hard worker, and last night showed is very capable of scoring. I wonder if he’s just a late bloomer.

7’3.5” wingspan.

RC_Drunkford
12-25-2021, 01:02 PM
He really flourishes in a small ball 5 role, I think that makes him a lot more effective than playing him at the 4. I was impressed

exstatic
12-25-2021, 03:51 PM
He really flourishes in a small ball 5 role, I think that makes him a lot more effective than playing him at the 4. I was impressed

Certainly offensively, but even in today’s game, those instances are few and far between. It took AD being out, Howard and Jordan not playing that well, and Jakob putting a lid on their rim for them to play micro ball.

John B
01-08-2022, 09:27 AM
It's time to make a noise for KBD at starting PF. I really think he's a better cover than Keldon, and allow Poeltl to stay with his man. I've said in another thread, DJM, Primo, Vassell, KBD and Poeltl together, I'd play that defense against any team.

Sugus
01-08-2022, 03:42 PM
It's time to make a noise for KBD at starting PF. I really think he's a better cover than Keldon, and allow Poeltl to stay with his man. I've said in another thread, DJM, Primo, Vassell, KBD and Poeltl together, I'd play that defense against any team.

As much as I love having an Actual PF paired along Jakob, and you know how much that is, I really don't see KBD being an answer. Besides a player with size, you need a scoring player paired alongside Jak, who can either call his own number, shoot the piss outta the ball, or make plays to get buckets for everyone else. KBD really does neither, just stands around on offense and gets fed bunnies at most... We don't have the guard firepower to make up for that difference, IMO.

Where Keldon loses you defense, he at least gives you offensive production (or did, before he fell off a cliff inexplicably). That said, I'd like to see the Spurs trade for a PF - if it doesn't intervene with the tank too much. At the end of the day, I'd rather see Banchero there than any of these other options, TBQH.

talkspurs
01-08-2022, 06:02 PM
As much as I love having an Actual PF paired along Jakob, and you know how much that is, I really don't see KBD being an answer. Besides a player with size, you need a scoring player paired alongside Jak, who can either call his own number, shoot the piss outta the ball, or make plays to get buckets for everyone else. KBD really does neither, just stands around on offense and gets fed bunnies at most... We don't have the guard firepower to make up for that difference, IMO.

Where Keldon loses you defense, he at least gives you offensive production (or did, before he fell off a cliff inexplicably). That said, I'd like to see the Spurs trade for a PF - if it doesn't intervene with the tank too much. At the end of the day, I'd rather see Banchero there than any of these other options, TBQH.

mt favorite PF to trade for would be Boucher. He can shoot and also plays defense. dont think it would cost much to get him as Toronto seems to keep knocking him down and if he doesnt work he is a FA at end of season. He is a little older then our team though but not by much,

TD 21
01-08-2022, 06:33 PM
mt favorite PF to trade for would be Boucher. He can shoot and also plays defense. dont think it would cost much to get him as Toronto seems to keep knocking him down and if he doesnt work he is a FA at end of season. He is a little older then our team though but not by much,

He's not a "PF". He's got the body type of a big wing mixed with the skill set of a center, which renders him bereft of a true defensive position. He's also a career 33.5% 3-point shooter.

Dex
01-08-2022, 06:56 PM

I appreciate KBD filling the gap for the time being, but let's be honest....dude is a GLeague player who is getting a chance at another contract right now.

If you look at the glory teams of Spurs past....KBD would be lucky to be on them, and if he was, he'd be the 15th man.

talkspurs
01-08-2022, 08:01 PM
He's not a "PF". He's got the body type of a big wing mixed with the skill set of a center, which renders him bereft of a true defensive position. He's also a career 33.5% 3-point shooter.

what do you think most big wngs are now? they play PF. as opposed to skill set what skills are you talking about. 33.55 really is not a bad 3 pt %

TD 21
01-08-2022, 11:47 PM
what do you think most big wngs are now? they play PF. as opposed to skill set what skills are you talking about. 33.55 really is not a bad 3 pt %

But he doesn't really have the ball skills to credibly play the four. He has one (last) season being a legit threat from 3.

spurraider21
01-09-2022, 12:36 AM
KBD is a nice end of bench player but lmao at being a starter on anything but a tanking team

BackHome
01-09-2022, 02:11 AM
Yeah I like KBD like I like Eubanks but they are are your 14th and 15th man up....

MannyIsGod
01-09-2022, 02:16 AM
But he doesn't really have the ball skills to credibly play the four. He has one (last) season being a legit threat from 3.
Tell me what ball skills someone like pj tucker has over kbd. Y'all act like every player has to have a full skillset with no weaknesses.
There's a reason they are called roll players.

Chinook
01-09-2022, 02:29 AM
Tell me what ball skills someone like pj tucker has over kbd. Y'all act like every player has to have a full skillset with no weaknesses.

Teeds is talking about Boucher, who does seem to lack PF skills. KBD doesn't. He's just limited in his ceiling. He really needs to become an elite spot-up shooter to have any chance to change his station. Tucker is one of the best corner-three shooters in the NBA. That allows him to stay on the floor. Keita being at best streaky is hard to accept. He's a great on/off player even now, but he'd be higher impact and could make the offense better if he was able to exert gravity on the other end.

buttsR4rebounding
01-09-2022, 09:23 AM

They are actually called role players, but should have never kept him over Luka. He will never be more than an end of the bench guy on a contender.

Atl Spur
01-09-2022, 10:34 AM
Diop has more to offer, he just can’t show it the way we are presently using him.

talkspurs
01-09-2022, 10:51 AM

This is what I find some of the people do on here because they dont know what they are talking about. they will throw out fancy words but dont use anything to actually back it up. some people on here also want to wait until the player breaks out and then oh lets give tehm forbs and our 2nd for this player because he does not make much. next contract comes up and he gets a big raise because now more teams see his value. If you want someone get them before they get big not after.

KingKev
01-09-2022, 12:06 PM
This is what I find some of the people do on here because they dont know what they are talking about. they will throw out fancy words but dont use anything to actually back it up. some people on here also want to wait until the player breaks out and then oh lets give tehm forbs and our 2nd for this player because he does not make much. next contract comes up and he gets a big raise because now more teams see his value. If you want someone get them before they get big not after.

If you can't proof read your own post you shouldn’t arm chair quarterback.

talkspurs
01-09-2022, 12:10 PM

Shouldn't there be a , after post?? Talk about proof reading. You can find so many errors throughout this site so why harp on it now?

buttsR4rebounding
01-09-2022, 05:52 PM

Shouldn't there be a , after post?? Talk about proof reading. You can find so many errors throughout this site so why harp on it now?

No, there should not be a comma. Lol. Fucking public education.

John B
01-09-2022, 05:58 PM
All I’m asking is for KBD to be a defensive big who can rebound, protect the rim and shoot open 3’s. If he can put back some, it would be great. I’m not asking him to be Middleton or Tatum. L

KingKev
01-09-2022, 06:04 PM
All I’m asking is for KBD to be a defensive big who can rebound, protect the rim and shoot open 3’s. If he can put back some, it would be great. I’m not asking him to be Middleton or Tatum. L

He is none of those things. A few weeks ago he dropped 30 in a meaningless game and you proclaimed him the new Danny Green. He is not even close to a rim protector. His defence and rebounding are meh and his 3pt shooting is average. Perfect 12-15th man.

TD 21
01-09-2022, 06:07 PM
Teeds is talking about Boucher, who does seem to lack PF skills. KBD doesn't. He's just limited in his ceiling. He really needs to become an elite spot-up shooter to have any chance to change his station. Tucker is one of the best corner-three shooters in the NBA. That allows him to stay on the floor. Keita being at best streaky is hard to accept. He's a great on/off player even now, but he'd be higher impact and could make the offense better if he was able to exert gravity on the other end.

The fact that fringe players like Jones and him think it's acceptable to basically be non 3-point shooters falls on this organization. Virtually anywhere else and they'd know that in order to stick and possibly become rotation players, it'd be a prerequisite. Here, it's clearly more of a request than a demand.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-10-2022, 06:17 PM
They are actually called role players, but should have never kept him over Luka. He will never be more than an end of the bench guy on a contender.

I like the way you rolled through the roles. :lol

Not sure on Luka, though. Skills? Yes, definitely. Heart, work ethic, and competitiveness necessary for the NBA game? Not sure.

ace3g
06-15-2023, 12:14 AM
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNBA/status/1669102664645238792

Mr. Body
06-15-2023, 12:23 AM
Go get your bag, Keita.

Atl Spur
06-15-2023, 12:45 AM
Diop has more to offer, he just can’t show it the way we are presently using him.

Hmmm…….

GAustex
06-15-2023, 01:05 AM
Landale looked better when he left for a better team

timtonymanu
06-15-2023, 02:08 AM
Rooting for him. If he can become the Trey Lyles in Sacramento for another team, that would be great.

Lol @ Walmart Luka being sent into oblivion and losing his spot to KBD

Chinook
06-15-2023, 08:47 AM
He's worth it to the Spurs too. But I also think KBD benefitted from his minutes with the Spurs more than he was hurt by them. On a good team, he won't be able to show off his offense nearly as much. His defense is good, but he's not elite at all on that end. I think he needs another couple of years to develop his shot if he's going to have any chance at a big role as a three-and-D guy on a contender.

Mr. Body
06-15-2023, 09:07 AM
I don't think he'll ever be a 'plus' guy on a playoff team, but he'll be a great platoon option, someone who can get in there and soak up minutes throughout the season without wrecking things. In the postseason he can hold his position down if needed and maybe on occasion make a plus play. But having a guy who's not going to make mistakes and doesn't need lots of minutes to be effective can be really valuable.

spurraider21
06-15-2023, 11:00 AM
Good for him if he gets even taxpayer MLE money. Think he’s a solid minute eating glue guy type. Just not the guy we need right now

Atl Spur
06-15-2023, 11:17 AM
It would be smart to retain him for obvious reasons.

wildbill2u
06-15-2023, 05:35 PM
What really annoys me is when he makes a nice slashing move to the basket and simply can't finish at the rim. Happens too often. It seems Pop likes him so I guess he'll stay on the roster at the end of the bench, but I wouldn't be upset if he is added to a trade to get a better player. He may do better elsewhere and if so, God bless him.

Mugen
06-15-2023, 05:36 PM
Wish him well when he inevitably signs with the Lakers tbh :lol

intlspurshk
06-15-2023, 05:50 PM
KBD may get good offer from bad teams. When Austin Reeves could be acquired for 50million contract for 4 years service, it is hard to spend too much money to retain him, especially when Spurs have so many picks in the coming years

TD 21
06-15-2023, 05:57 PM
He's worth it to the Spurs too. But I also think KBD benefitted from his minutes with the Spurs more than he was hurt by them. On a good team, he won't be able to show off his offense nearly as much. His defense is good, but he's not elite at all on that end. I think he needs another couple of years to develop his shot if he's going to have any chance at a big role as a three-and-D guy on a contender.

No, he isn't. Wembanyama and Sochan are slated to play the majority of the PF minutes and they could use the roster space.

He also makes sense as a low cost, fringe rotation player for a myriad of championship contenders and pseudo/immediately aspiring ones alike.

jhfenton
06-15-2023, 08:48 PM
I've thought KBD was likely to be back, and I welcomed that. But I was assuming he would remain under-appreciated and wouldn't command anything close to $9 MM. At $9 MM, I would wish him well.

Obstructed_View
06-15-2023, 09:22 PM
Roster spots are at a premium. KBD on a bargain contract is unlikely to stick. Maybe he can be Jamychal Green somewhere else. Good luck to him.

Chinook
06-15-2023, 09:28 PM
No, he isn't. Wembanyama and Sochan are slated to play the majority of the PF minutes and they could use the roster space.

We have no idea if Wemby will play the four mostly or if he and Sochan won't be on the court together for the majority of their minutes. KBD can play the three, and some stats suggest that's his better position. The Spurs could use the roster space, but they don't "need" it unless they have players they like more than KBD. Yeah, if they like guys like Mamu, Champagnie, Langford and Birch over him, then they won't won't sign him. They don't need Keita. But if they think he's better than that bunch -- and he arguably is -- then they have plenty of space to sign him and their rookies.

He also makes sense as a low cost, fringe rotation player for a myriad of championship contenders and pseudo/immediately aspiring ones alike.

You're entitled to that opinion. I think the tweet that reignited this conversation was suggesting a bit higher of a placement, somewhere between 7th and 9th man. As I mentioned, I actually think KBD doesn't show a ton of upside at this point as a set role-player. He's way too inconsistent on offense for a team to be able to rely on him to get his points, and the points he gets aren't necessarily in a complimentary fashion. His defense is better and more consistent than his offense, but he's much more of a guy who contribute to a forest of arms and provide some switchability and cross-matching (especially if he's playing SF) than a lock down guy.

I think a contender would be pretty disappointed if they committed a lot of money to bring him in. He's not there yet. But could use a couple more years figuring out a role, and as I said, I think a Spurs team that could still use his length and will still go through spells where a guy like KBD might have chances to try to create offense but will also have enough structure to give him plenty of decent spot-up opportunities would be one of this better landing spots. The team doesn't need him, but they could use him on a decent contract.

ismael-robert
06-15-2023, 10:06 PM
I actually find him consistent willing to do what he's asked. Doesn't draw attention thus finding himself open for easy buckets, 2s and 3s. Remember the game where he was 14 of 14. I felt like they stopped showcasing him cause he was someone they wanted back n he had done enough to secure his spot

onechance87
06-15-2023, 10:47 PM
idk....kbd was looking real good at the end of the season...Looking better then keldon johnson at times...but i know it was at the end of the season

slick'81
06-15-2023, 10:54 PM
Laker killer,tbh

TD 21
06-15-2023, 11:15 PM
We have no idea if Wemby will play the four mostly or if he and Sochan won't be on the court together for the majority of their minutes. KBD can play the three, and some stats suggest that's his better position. The Spurs could use the roster space, but they don't "need" it unless they have players they like more than KBD. Yeah, if they like guys like Mamu, Champagnie, Langford and Birch over him, then they won't won't sign him. They don't need Keita. But if they think he's better than that bunch -- and he arguably is -- then they have plenty of space to sign him and their rookies.

I think the tweet that reignited this conversation was suggesting a bit higher of a placement, somewhere between 7th and 9th man.

He's not there yet. But could use a couple more years figuring out a role, and as I said, I think a Spurs team will still go through spells where a guy like KBD might have chances to try to create offense

We can use common sense. Bates-Diop at the 3, with either Wembanyama or Sochan at the 4, is a good way to have an offense that can't function. They also have Johnson, McDermott, probably Champagnie and Vassel some, to play the 3. If they retain the 33rd pick, convert and re-sign Champagnie as well as re-sign Mamukelashvili, that's already 14 spots spoken for.

That's probably just Hollinger using his own personal formulas to determine what a player "should" be worth.

At 27, I'd say there's an excellent chance he never will be. Not a chance.

Chinook
06-16-2023, 01:17 AM
We can use common sense. Bates-Diop at the 3, with either Wembanyama or Sochan at the 4, is a good way to have an offense that can't function. They also have Johnson, McDermott, probably Champagnie and Vassel some, to play the 3. If they retain the 33rd pick, convert and re-sign Champagnie as well as re-sign Mamukelashvili, that's already 14 spots spoken for.

1) Sochan and KBD were each other's second-best pairing in terms of net point differential. As I said, KBD played the three a fair bit last year and was pretty good at it. I don't know who you thought he was playing next to when he was at SF. It was going to be a bulkier guy like Sochan or Mamu. Yes, I agree KBD needs to learn to be a much more consistent shooter, especially when it comes to shots off some type of action. That's why I've said multiple times that I don't see him having a ton of value on a contender. But Keita is a legit combo-forward, probably the first one the Spurs have had in a long, long time.

2) I think Johnson playing SF is much more of a compromise than KBD playing it, but we can both skip that argument, because the Spurs are likely going to play Keldon there if they keep him. You listed a number of players who aren't guaranteed to make the roster, whether due to a trade or not being signed. But you can't evaluate it like that. This team can and hopefully will undergo some substantial changes, at least in terms of the bottom half of the roster. I'd say there's a non-negligible chance that Keita starts the season at SF. I don't consider it a great chance, mind you. But I do think it's a real one in the event of some substantial upheaval happens. If the Spurs have to pick two of KBD, Collins and Sochan to start with Jones, Vassell and Wemby, I'm not sure that Zach and Jeremy are the two they'd pick. Of course, this logic is why anyone from McDermott to Branham to Graham to Champ could be that fifth starter. This should be extremely fluid for a rotation that was god awful last year and wasn't great the previous year.

3) Depending on how a deal is structured, I don't think you can rule out the Spurs bringing in more than 15 guaranteed salaries into camp again. The contracts help them get to the floor, and it can help their secure more talent than a cheaper version of themselves would. It may be easy to believe the factors you mentioned would lead to Keita being the odd man out, but he's survived multiple camp roster battles at this point. The Spurs might be able to secure his services on something like a $16M/3 deal with only like $2.5 Million being fully guaranteed unless he survives camp. If they cut him, the dead money is a pittance to the Spurs. But if he once again sticks, he's on a tidy contract. I see a lot of scenarios where that kind of contract or an even more generous one gets offered.

That's probably just Hollinger using his own personal formulas to determine what a player "should" be worth.

4) I'm not a huge fan of Hollinger for reasons similar to this. He's basically number without context.

At 27, I'd say there's an excellent chance he never will be. Not a chance.

5) I don't think it's too late for him to become a more consistent shooter. I do think he ship has sailed on him being an elite role-player. But if he's going to be a guy who hovers between being a spot-starter and a human victory cigar, he can do that anywhere.

TD 21
06-16-2023, 05:46 PM
1) Sochan and KBD were each other's second-best pairing in terms of net point differential. As I said, KBD played the three a fair bit last year and was pretty good at it.

2) You listed a number of players who aren't guaranteed to make the roster, whether due to a trade or not being signed. But you can't evaluate it like that. This team can and hopefully will undergo some substantial changes, at least in terms of the bottom half of the roster. I'd say there's a non-negligible chance that Keita starts the season at SF. Of course, this logic is why anyone from McDermott to Branham to Graham to Champ could be that fifth starter.

3) but he's survived multiple camp roster battles at this point.

He played 1/37/62% at SG/SF/PF respectively. I wouldn't read into much from last season though.

I'm saying they should be priority over a veteran journeyman. If the Heat, a shot away from 3 Finals in 4 seasons, can constantly give relatively significant roles to undrafted or unheralded young players, then the re-building Spurs can damn sure give lesser ones to those that flashed promise. There's zero chance of Bates-Diop starting. Branham or Graham may get a look at PG at some point because of the lack of a legit starter/fit.

Circumstances have changed though. I just don't see either as a fit for one another anymore.