PDA

View Full Version : Nielsen promoted

Ocotillo
09-08-2021, 03:29 PM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1435698865571868676

Ocotillo
09-08-2021, 03:32 PM
Mostly I lurk but if you have a chance to beat Ace or BatManu you go for it. BTW, I like this move.

Dejounte
09-08-2021, 03:35 PM
Next head coach of the Spurs, probably

MultiTroll
09-08-2021, 04:12 PM
https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.62d4df4588c342f9dfd2a1c07ea441dd?rik=lNfthvY1k2A 43g&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.hecklerspray.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2010%2f01%2f22.jpg&ehk=jsZpu3bpAQhENL13gbJJGWFDC1nqxz7KN5FuZZzylSE%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

ginobilized
09-08-2021, 04:52 PM
Matt Nielsen the Australian?
Just sayin'

BackHome
09-08-2021, 06:04 PM
Anybody got anything to say about this guy I have never heard about him?

Ocotillo
09-08-2021, 06:19 PM
He's coached the Austin Spurs last season and appeared to do a good job relating to the players and seemed to do a good job managing the games as well. In the Gubble, Tre Jones and Luka S seem to thrive under him. I think he will be a good addition to the bench.

GAustex
09-08-2021, 09:19 PM
Better than B…

spurs1990
09-08-2021, 10:42 PM
Hammon, the Stanford guy, and now this fellow. Most unheralded assistants in the league I'd imagine

Chomag
09-08-2021, 11:20 PM
If he's good at saying "Yes sir" then he will fit right in and do just fine.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-08-2021, 11:51 PM
We Staaaaaaaackkkedddd

NASpurs
09-08-2021, 11:58 PM
If he's good at saying "Yes sir" then he will fit right in and do just fine.

Underrated post.

ElNono
09-09-2021, 02:44 AM
Anything to do with the ratings?

exstatic
09-09-2021, 08:19 AM
Hammon, the Stanford guy, and now this fellow. Most unheralded assistants in the league I'd imagine

And yet, they’ll be at the top of interview lists for Lead assistant and HC positions in a few years.

John B
09-09-2021, 08:40 AM
Lining up the Aussies. Who’s next? :lol

The Truth #6
09-09-2021, 09:23 AM

Is the Stanford guy the tall one with the man bun/mullet?

D-Robinson 50 fan
09-09-2021, 02:50 PM
He's coached the Austin Spurs last season and appeared to do a good job relating to the players and seemed to do a good job managing the games as well. In the Gubble, Tre Jones and Luka S seem to thrive under him. I think he will be a good addition to the bench.

you beat me to the punch.

he did a good job coaching the G League team last season and was a solid assistant for Australian national team. I think he will be a good guy to have on the bench.

spurs1990
09-09-2021, 03:49 PM
Is the Stanford guy the tall one with the man bun/mullet?

I think that sounds like Will Hardy who is on the Nets or some place.

Stanford is the black coach. He was a Pac10 all American in the late 2000s.
I literally can't remember his name or if I ever learned it. That's how much of an unsung group popvich is rolling with.

Larry O
09-09-2021, 03:59 PM
Here is the Spurs' coaching staff, minus Pop & Nielsen. Hope this helps:

Becky Hammon
(College - Colorado State)
Will Hardy
(College - Williams)

Mitch Johnson
(College - Stanford)

Chip Engelland
(College - Duke)

Darius Songaila
(College - Wake Forest)

Maddog
09-09-2021, 04:03 PM
Here is the Spurs' coaching staff, minus Pop & Nielsen. Hope this helps:

Becky Hammon
(College - Colorado State)
Will Hardy
(College - Williams)

Mitch Johnson
(College - Stanford)

Chip Engelland
(College - Duke)

Darius Songaila
(College - Wake Forest)

Will Hardy is now with Boston

Larry O
09-09-2021, 04:08 PM
Mitch Johnson (Stanford), was our Summer League coach this year, BTW.

TD 21
09-09-2021, 04:45 PM
:lmao White and promoted from within' (aka cheap); it never fails. You'd have to go back to '12 to find the last tenured black assistant(s) on the staff (Newman on bench, Vaughn behind).

Duke has received plenty of flak over the years for their favoring/stereotyping white/mixed and suburban over black and inner city, yet they continue to receive a free pass.

In addition to being a non glamour market, this is why so many don't want to play here. It'd be interesting to hear Murray's thoughts if you gave him truth serum.

I literally can't remember his name or if I ever learned it. That's how much of an unsung group popvich is rolling with.

Johnson is mixed, but yeah he'll be filling the "token black" role all the same.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-09-2021, 04:57 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnlawfulHeartyChanticleer-size_restricted.gif

I mean, yeah, he did fine in the G League, but seriously, we must have the worst assistant resumes of any coaching staff in the league.

The Truth #6
09-09-2021, 05:43 PM

I must be thinking of Songalia, the tall guy with the heavy metal haircut.

Buddy Holly
09-10-2021, 01:17 AM
:lmao White and promoted from within' (aka cheap); it never fails. You'd have to go back to '12 to find the last tenured black assistant(s) on the staff (Newman on bench, Vaughn behind).

Duke has received plenty of flak over the years for their favoring/stereotyping white/mixed and suburban over black and inner city, yet they continue to receive a free pass.

In addition to being a non glamour market, this is why so many don't want to play here. It'd be interesting to hear Murray's thoughts if you gave him truth serum.

Johnson is mixed, but yeah he'll be filling the "token black" role all the same.

Dude, stfu up you weird lame ass.

raybies
09-10-2021, 02:34 AM

year after year of assistant coaches getting poached... i mean the spurs bench should just be called an academy for fast tracking advancement in coaching...

raybies
09-10-2021, 02:37 AM

I mean, yeah, he did fine in the G League, but seriously, we must have the worst assistant resumes of any coaching staff in the league.

and yet at the end of the year we'll just have becky and chip again lol

Slippy
09-12-2021, 07:28 AM

He was lead assistant to one of rhe most successful coaches in Trevor Gleeson and team in the Perth wildcats of the nbl. The won 3 titles in 4years . Also the lead assistant to Brian Goorgjon who just lead the boomers to their first medal.

Being following the nbl since 87. Would have to say Goorjon is the best coach ever in australian basketball in my era at the least. Point being Neilson has worked for both coaches bringing a wealth of experience and success with him .

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-12-2021, 12:20 PM
He was lead assistant to one of rhe most successful coaches in Trevor Gleeson and team in the Perth wildcats of the nbl. The won 3 titles in 4years . Also the lead assistant to Brian Goorgjon who just lead the boomers to their first medal.

Being following the nbl since 87. Would have to say Goorjon is the best coach ever in australian basketball in my era at the least. Point being Neilson has worked for both coaches bringing a wealth of experience and success with him .

Well that's great. Maybe Pop's strategy is to not load up on coaches with name recognition in the U.S., so they don't get snatched up too quickly. I'm sure Nielson will be good. It's interesting that we don't have more of a former NBA talent presence on the bench with such a young team was basically all I was getting at.

Em-City
09-13-2021, 04:23 AM

Goorgian and Lindsay gaze were both better than Brett Brown. Matty Nielson was a fierce competitor and I'm sure he's up for the gig.

Maddog
09-13-2021, 05:51 AM
Well that's great. Maybe Pop's strategy is to not load up on coaches with name recognition in the U.S., so they don't get snatched up too quickly. I'm sure Nielson will be good. It's interesting that we don't have more of a former NBA talent presence on the bench with such a young team was basically all I was getting at.

Well the much derided Forbes signing may be part of that thinking.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-13-2021, 09:16 AM
Well the much derided Forbes signing may be part of that thinking.

I would have no problem with Forbes wearing a suit and carrying a clipboard at all times, tbh. :)

rjv
09-13-2021, 01:13 PM
nice addition to the bench

Larry O
09-13-2021, 02:54 PM
FYI: Becky's #25 jersey is being retired today as we speak, during the half time game between the LV Aces & the Dallas Wings on NBA TV!

exstatic
09-13-2021, 03:04 PM
FYI: Becky's #25 jersey is being retired today as we speak, during the half time game between the LV Aces & the Dallas Wings on NBA TV!

So, the Connecticut team, which was the Silver Stars, moved to Vegas?

Larry O
09-13-2021, 03:23 PM
So, the Connecticut team, which was the Silver Stars, moved to Vegas?

Actually, they began as the Utah Starzz, out of Salt Lake, then to SA, now to Las Vegas. Becky was drafted to the Liberty & later traded to the then Silver Stars.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-13-2021, 10:10 PM
grats beck :toast