PDA

View Full Version : y'all ready to trade derrick white?

gambit1990
09-12-2021, 09:29 PM
maybe the dude finally stops getting hurt... but you can't afford to have someone so integral to the team to keep missing so much time.

gambit1990
09-12-2021, 09:33 PM
then again, spurs aren't trying to win it all within the next three years. so him keep getting injured almost doesn't even matter in the short term.

hopefully he has the best season of his career... and then i'd move him before the deadline. get that trade value up. and then you don't have to worry about him getting injured in the future.

tbdog
09-12-2021, 09:44 PM
I'm ready to trade one of Murray and White. I don't think that back court works. If Pop actually played them together two years ago, we would have already known. Now pop is thinking, can they play together without DDR. Well not if Johnson is your sf. Maybe with McDermott though.

SAGirl
09-12-2021, 09:49 PM
I like him a lot but he’s already in his prime years, he’s not really a youngin anymore and the Spurs need to hunt in the draft for a star. He’s good when healthy and would be really helpful for a playoff team. He’s good enough to prevent a huge tankathon if healthy. Maybe boost up his stats and sell high if you can. If it’s a trade where the Spurs will get nothing worth the bother (like some team spare parts) the no. Finding the sweet spot where the trade would Be worth it is what GMs are paid for.

Dex
09-12-2021, 10:04 PM
Injuries happen, and no one can predict them. We've seen our fortunes change before due to injury (Tim in 2000, Manu in 2011, Kawhi in 2017, etc.)

White has proven he can be a good-to-great player when he is healthy. Maybe not necessarily an All-Star, but a VERY good role player.

I'd keep him around another year, and try to see where he goes. If the injuries continue, time to move on.

KobesAchilles
09-12-2021, 10:16 PM
Dude is made of glass. I like him though and he’s my favorite player on the team. But nobody is untouchable to me. Including Keldon

Fireball
09-13-2021, 01:14 AM
i never want to give up on our good players ...i keep my fingers crossed

Teamduncan21
09-13-2021, 02:29 AM
this is so random.. what trade do you have in mind? ready to trade will depend who are we targeting.

jjspur
09-13-2021, 07:52 AM
I'd trade Murray before White. You might get more because he is less prone to injury than white plus you might get someone who plays better with White (when he's healthy).

John B
09-14-2021, 12:15 AM
I like Derek a lot. He has the Manuesque unselfishness who will sacrifice his body to get the win, and not about padding stats. He’s a soldier and will just do it, unlike DJ who we’ve seen going against his coach in the huddle with the rookies watching. That was really a big turn-off attitude. Never have I seen the Big 3 go against Pop, especially Tony who always got pushed and barked at borderline abuse, not Timmy, nor Manu. Derek is the same. All that said, nobody in the current roster is a Star, except potentially Keldon, and Nobody is expendable. Yes. I would consider trading Derek to get a potential Star like Simmons, than maybe giving up both Lonnie and Samanic who possibly have higher ceilings. Derek is already 27 and seems to have already peaked. He is a rotation player, borderline 6th man of the year if coming from the bench.

Gibbz
09-14-2021, 12:26 AM
The business of rooting for ping-pong balls is a sad existence and rarely works. Everyone on the roster should, and probably is, available for the right price. Dumping guys for shit value to outright tank is stupid, though.

dbestpro
09-14-2021, 01:18 PM
I would move anyone and everyone for top of the line draft capital.

Proxy
09-15-2021, 11:41 AM
like the dude a lot, but it's been a long couple of seasons since that denver playoff performance. If it's not natural inconsistency, it's injury related. I'm over counting on him and murray, hopefully I'm eating crow this season

KingKev
09-15-2021, 05:39 PM
He is a nice trade chip along with Walker and Young.

Down Under
09-15-2021, 05:48 PM
This is crazy IMO. Despite his injury history, he's the only consistent shot creator on the roster.

ismael-robert
09-15-2021, 08:01 PM
Dumb thread is dumb

Dex
09-15-2021, 09:28 PM
This year is going to be a make it or break it year for a few players...namely Murray, White, and Walker.

No more excuses about DeMar or Aldridge ball hogging, or Mills and Gay demanding shots off the bench. The vets are gone....these guys basically ARE the veterans on the team now.

It's time for all three of these guys to either put up or shut up. They deserve one full season to show what they got as a primary option, and then the Spurs can make decisions from there.

Chinook
09-15-2021, 09:58 PM
Murray never had the excuse of anyone ball-hogging. He's always been a high-usage player. I don't think it's a "make-or-break" year for either him or White though. Both of those guys lack star potential, and we don't need a season of them failing to be stars to know that. It's make-or-break year for Walker though. That's true. He badly needs to show offensive consistency, and while DeRozan wasn't his biggest impediment to success, he is poised to step into the scoring vacuum left by so many guys leaving. Both he and the team need him to provide points. As it stands now, he should be the top option on offense for the starters. Unfortunately, because Pope will probably start Murray and White, I feel that Walker will continue to not be aggressive and flounder. He's not a sixth man, but he's also not a tertiary ball-handler. Pop needs to force real opportunities on Lonnie, not leave it to the discretion of guys who pound the air out of the ball or call their own number way too much.

ThaBigFundamental21
09-17-2021, 01:30 PM
Trade. He doesn't move the needle. He's always hurt. He can be a really nice piece for a contender that doesn't rely on him as a top 2 roster piece...

TimDunkem
09-17-2021, 02:19 PM
Decent role player and a fine guard, but that doesn't matter if you never play. Don't see why guys here seem married to him. He's not a game changer. White merely raises the floor of this shit team in the rare instance when he actually sees the floor.

I feel the same way about the rest of our "great, young backcourt" - Lonnie, Murray, etc. Good, but not exactly stars and I wouldn't give two shits if they were shown the front door.

4lifecowboy
09-17-2021, 02:21 PM
Murray never had the excuse of anyone ball-hogging. He's always been a high-usage player. I don't think it's a "make-or-break" year for either him or White though. Both of those guys lack star potential, and we don't need a season of them failing to be stars to know that. It's make-or-break year for Walker though. That's true. He badly needs to show offensive consistency, and while DeRozan wasn't his biggest impediment to success, he is poised to step into the scoring vacuum left by so many guys leaving. Both he and the team need him to provide points. As it stands now, he should be the top option on offense for the starters. Unfortunately, because Pope will probably start Murray and White, I feel that Walker will continue to not be aggressive and flounder. He's not a sixth man, but he's also not a tertiary ball-handler. Pop needs to force real opportunities on Lonnie, not leave it to the discretion of guys who pound the air out of the ball or call their own number way too much.
Someone finally said it, Walker should be the primary scoring option.

Biggems
09-18-2021, 01:23 PM
Huge fan of White, unfortunately so is The Injury Bug.

I would definitely look into any and all trade offers......I do believe, had we drafted Haliburton last season, trading White would have been a forgone conclusion, especially with his medical history.

Ocotillo
09-18-2021, 01:45 PM
The recent PR photos of the new guys taking in SA with DWhite and KJ made me wonder, where is Dejounte?

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-18-2021, 05:59 PM
The recent PR photos of the new guys taking in SA with DWhite and KJ made me wonder, where is Dejounte?

eating a rubbery cheesesteak after visiting 9 irish pubs lmao

jjspur
09-20-2021, 07:17 AM
White is possibly our most valuable player (when he's not hurt) and has the the most trade value. I'd see what we could get for him. Maybe some team offers a lot. If no one values him like we do then we keep him. Its win win situation for us since we have him for a few more years. Yeah he's getting a little bit older but he is also getting a bit better and there lies the value in Derrick White.

Gagnrath
09-21-2021, 03:03 PM
Someone finally said it, Walker should be the primary scoring option.

Walker when he has had the opportunity has shown zero aggression or drive to do that. Murray and White haven't been ball and shot dominant that was DeMar, to a Lesser extent Aldridge and somewhat Mills and Gay. For real that's part of what makes White and Murray the keepers they are both are fairly long athletic two way players that get their offense within the flow and are capable to above average starter level on good long term contracts and are in the first half of their careers. Are they Irreplaceable? Nope. I'd give either up for a top tier star in their prime along with some other small assets. I would even give both for an MVP candidate in their prime, even fairly late prime.

What I wouldn't do is give up either for a bad contract, especially for a bad contract attached to a flawed or one dimensional player.

Chinook
09-21-2021, 03:14 PM

Probably still mourning. I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to do photo shoots for a while.

Chinook
09-21-2021, 03:22 PM
There are only two reasons why you trade White:

1) You think moving him creates space for someone to step up. I think that's true for Murray, but White's a facilitator who can also play off the ball. He's a great fit with any upcoming perimeter player. Whether it's Primo, Walker, Johnson or even Jones, I think White has a place.

2) Someone values him higher than they should. Basically if a team wants to sell the farm for him, it could make sense. Or if White's trade value is on a bubble that'll be burst after this season, then it could make sense. I'd argue that coming off an injury and sort of frozen out by DJM and DMDR dominating the ball last year, White is actually at a low point in value. It would make more sense to try to get him to play well and stay on the court and then trade him versus taking less value now for no reason. But so many STers have the dumb view that trades are a way to get rid of bad players, so White being hurt encourages them to move him, even for pennies on the dollar. Give White a chance to be have a good year and then decide on moving him. Dude is signed for four more seasons. He and Primo are the guys who are least tradeable right now.

TD 21
09-21-2021, 03:56 PM
They value him more than what his value leaguewide probably is (guessing late lotteryish) which makes sense given his malleability and their depth of youth as is.

heyheymymy
09-21-2021, 04:19 PM
One thing i will say is that Whites contract just scaled up big time this offseason.

Injuries and prospective ceiling is all fun n games when you are only due 3.5 but this upcoming season white goes from 3.5 to 15.6 and it keeps scaling up every season after that, 16, 17..

Already starting this season the expectations of consistency and production are going to match that salary and it does get harder to justify setbacks imo

KingKev
09-21-2021, 04:28 PM
One thing i will say is that Whites contract just scaled up big time this offseason.

Injuries and prospective ceiling is all fun n games when you are only due 3.5 but this upcoming season white goes from 3.5 to 15.6 and it keeps scaling up every season after that, 16, 17..

Already starting this season the expectations of consistency and production are going to match that salary and it does get harder to justify setbacks imo

White if healthy, and that is a big if is probably on a fair contract. I really don‘t think he has much value around the league at this point so he probably has more value as a Sours than what we would get back.

heyheymymy
09-21-2021, 06:30 PM
White if healthy, and that is a big if is probably on a fair contract. I really don‘t think he has much value around the league at this point so he probably has more value as a Sours than what we would get back.

Agreed. A White that takes the next step and establishes a healthy stretch of play would be a steal even considering his increased salary.

If he can solidify into a polished player with stabilized wear n tear going forward he will be a value because he is locked in for long term leading right through imo what would be his age peak, reaching 30 at the end of the deal from what, 26 now?

Spurs love corporate knowledge guys and the system relies on them to flourish. So those intrinsics and off court merits put his salary value in new perspective.

It's just that the money increase for white makes now the moment where things scale up, his salary and so therefore expectations upon his consistency and production hopefully.

The scrutiny naturally intensifies.

8sy21vd
09-21-2021, 08:11 PM
I may be optimistic but White could average 20ppg this season with the geezers gone. He's not a great long distance shooter but he shoots nearly 36% from three for his career and doubled his shot attempts last season. He also showed a lot more aggressiveness, albeit in a short sample size due to injuries/COVID. He needs to be more assertive and most importantly stay healthy. It would be great to see both White and Murray continue to improve together but neither is untouchable in a trade particularly if the Spurs really covet Simmons. Murray is a top young talent and White could do well in any system/role so I could see teams trying to make a deal.

IMO, Keldon is the most 'untradeable' piece and Walker is the one I'd like to see gone.

4lifecowboy
09-22-2021, 01:44 PM
Walker when he has had the opportunity has shown zero aggression or drive to do that. Murray and White haven't been ball and shot dominant that was DeMar, to a Lesser extent Aldridge and somewhat Mills and Gay. For real that's part of what makes White and Murray the keepers they are both are fairly long athletic two way players that get their offense within the flow and are capable to above average starter level on good long term contracts and are in the first half of their careers. Are they Irreplaceable? Nope. I'd give either up for a top tier star in their prime along with some other small assets. I would even give both for an MVP candidate in their prime, even fairly late prime.

What I wouldn't do is give up either for a bad contract, especially for a bad contract attached to a flawed or one dimensional player.

Hard to say that, Walker seldom have plays called for him, if ever, Murray and White both are primary ball handlers. I need to see at least an half a season where Walker is a primary scoring option before writing him off. He by far has the best chance at being the primary scorer than anyone else on the squad, (with the exception of Primo).

FutureMan
10-10-2021, 08:25 PM
Good lord. This guy better be getting his bad games out of the way :rollin

KingKev
10-10-2021, 08:28 PM
He has very little trade value at this point. Injury prone and looks terrible.

Down Under
10-10-2021, 08:34 PM
His shot quality in this game was great. All wide open, off the bounce or spotting up. Obviously nuance doesn't exist on this site, but some games the ball just doesn't drop.

KingKev
10-10-2021, 08:40 PM
His shot quality in this game was great. All wide open, off the bounce or spotting up. Obviously nuance doesn't exist on this site, but some games the ball just doesn't drop.

He has struggled mightily all pre-season after tonight probably shooting around 25% from the field and his shot selection was not great this game. His 3pt looks were mostly clean looks and just didn't drop tonight which is fine but he made alot of bad plays on the offensive end otherwise. Hopefully just rust but I think he needs to be the backup PG at this point and replaced with Forbes or Walker as troubling as that sounds.

John B
10-10-2021, 08:41 PM
Derek does a lot of little things, and unfortunately that’s about it. I do however commend him on willingness to take charges. But regret I don’t see him becoming more than a very good role player, and very good is already a stretch.

KingKev
10-10-2021, 08:45 PM
His contract at least isn’t that bad as our highest paid player. We probably need to give him a month of regular season ball before we can make a real assessment.

FutureMan
10-10-2021, 08:53 PM

Except he regressed last season soooo nice try. This is his year to prove he is a starter or not. Make your shots or get out of the way.

jermaine
10-10-2021, 09:58 PM
I didnt see anything from him that I like all preseason. Dude looks like a waste. An I actually like White.

TheGreatYacht
10-12-2021, 10:22 AM
To think that the forum retards believed this scrub was a better player than Dejounte, two years ago :lol

I see there’s even morons still around that believe that in 2021... in this same thread....

Basketball isn’t for you. White is terrible and should be dealt before his play drops his already diminished value even more.

gambit1990
11-02-2021, 12:46 AM
https://c.tenor.com/-HfTRwXMWT0AAAAd/kid-thinking.gif

slick'81
11-02-2021, 12:48 AM
How are we viewing his contact now,tbh?

RC_Drunkford
11-02-2021, 01:30 AM
He’s the first guy that I would trade besides Young and the G-League squad. He’s 27, his shooting is overrated, inconsistent and not good enough and he’s getting paid more than DJ

poopbox
11-02-2021, 02:03 AM
There were some posters who said he peaked in that Denver series and he would never play that good again...

Those posters might be right...

duncan2k5
11-02-2021, 06:40 AM
yes...he needs to be traded, or play off the bench as the PG...he is way too inconsistent...he doesn't have potential anymore...this is who he is

mookie2001
11-02-2021, 07:19 AM
I hope it's not neurological. a couple of times last night he lost the ball on casual left handed dribbles, unmolested, then looked down to coordinate himself again like a spaz 5th grader.

And with all the errant passes, it's scary

gambit1990
11-02-2021, 10:42 PM
hopefully the spurs are still trying to land simmons.

offset formation
11-02-2021, 11:16 PM
Yup, he unfortunately should be shipped out while he can bring plus trade value. Spurs arent going anywhere and he doesnt seem to be the Spurs lifer that Dejounte talks about being. Of the two, you should keep one and trade one. Should be White, given his age and durability. And since hes a solid player on both ends, he should garner a 1st round pick for a playoff contender. Perhaps even his hometown Nuggets. Spurs always seem to find the right situation for their good guys.

KingKev
11-03-2021, 06:54 AM
I’d be selling high on White. His contract is fair IMO and he could add immediate value to many playoff teams, eapecially those who jeed to shore up their back court defense. Solid player but we are already so deep at the guard spot with Primo and Tre Jones able to contribute solid backup minutes if need be.

LeBowen
11-03-2021, 07:33 AM
First of all, PATFO probably isn't even thinking about trading White. Other than that which teams would even be suitable trade partners?

Mavs? I don't want Porzingis and they have noone else Spurs could use.

Nuggets? MPJ signed a huge extension and I don't think he's worth it. I'm sure Derrick would like to go home and play for a contender.

Clippers? Again, they have nothing Spurs would be interested in.

Same goes for Pelicans, I doubt they'd be interested in trading Ingram.

Celtics won't trade Tatum/Brown and the rest of their roster is garbage.

That leaves us with three team trades and two somewhat realistic options...Sixers and Raptors.

Simmons is an entitled piece of shit and until Sixers start seeing him as a negative asset, I wouldn't even pick up the phone.

Some days ago I suggested Siakam as a player PATFO should go for. Barnes looks like the best player in the draft right now, OG is also playing well, they don't really need Siakam anymore.
They also want to get rid of his max contract because he's not good enough to be the first option.

White would be a perfect fit next to FVV and would fit their team well.
Siakam is still in rehab, but he's close to returning, so maybe we'd be able to get him at a discount after a disappointing season and injury.
I can't see a better fit fit that's not a completely unrealistic target.

Or we go with a surprise attack on Ayton. We're not getting him in FA, Suns will match any offer.
CP3 is close to his expiration date, White would fit their team well.

gambit1990
11-09-2021, 12:53 AM
white shot 0 for 10 against okc.

who in spurs history has shot more than 10 times and didn't make a bucket?

dbestpro
11-09-2021, 09:49 AM
I would be happy to send out everyone but Jock and Primo as we do not know what they can do. Everyone else on the team are destined to be journeymen.

spurraider21
11-09-2021, 10:00 AM
There were some posters who said he peaked in that Denver series and he would never play that good again...

Those posters might be right...
That Denver series was 3 seasons ago. people act like he's just been in a slump since then

DJR210
11-09-2021, 10:04 AM
Dejounte's illegitimate father is ready

jermaine
11-09-2021, 12:36 PM
I would be happy to send out everyone but Jock and Primo as we do not know what they can do. Everyone else on the team are destined to be journeymen.

Keep Murray, an Vassell too. Everyone else can go. I like walker to stay too, but my 1st choices would be Keldon, white, an Thad Young yo see what we can land

Seventyniner
11-09-2021, 02:40 PM
Good Derrick White isn't worth trading.

Bad Derrick White isn't worth trading for.

(At least in the context of a Simmons deal)

TDMVPDPOY
11-09-2021, 04:54 PM
PROBLEM with white is his too passive on offense, whether his afraid to shoot or trying to protect his fg%, fck that shit spurms need another scorer, not another chicken shit....

the same can be said about murray, but but he needs shoot more or expand his range to a better fg%

imo vassell might exceed these 2 players if his given the green light to chuck...his not afraid to chuck...same can be said about keldon from what he has shown everytime he receives the ball, he aint passing that shit, his looking to score that easy fg

jermaine
11-09-2021, 04:57 PM
After the Kawhi shit, what dumbass Spurs fan would even think of wanting Simmons on this team. That fool is showing EVERYONE he's a mental midget that will quit on his whole team as soon as his feelings are hurt. An some of you stupid Muthasuckas want that fool. Some of yal sounds like a stupid female saying "He cheated on everyone else but he wouldn't do that to me, im special"... WTF

gambit1990
11-09-2021, 05:01 PM
After the Kawhi shit, what dumbass Spurs fan would even think of wanting Simmons on this team. That fool is showing EVERYONE he's a mental midget that will quit on his whole team as soon as his feelings are hurt. An some of you stupid Muthasuckas want that fool. Some of yal sounds like a stupid female saying "He cheated on everyone else but he wouldn't do that to me, im special"... WTF
lol, spurs need star power though.

best case scenario: simmons plays for spurs and gets his trade value way up before he decides he wants to be traded from the spurs.

jermaine
11-09-2021, 05:06 PM
lol, spurs need star power though.

best case scenario: simmons plays for spurs and gets his trade value way up before he decides he wants to be traded from the spurs.

That trashy nicca couldn't the truth from Doc Rivers... How the hell could he play for Pop old school ass!?! I bet he couldn't last under Bob Knight.. He'd commit suicide.

TheGreatYacht
11-11-2021, 10:07 AM
Wright needs to call Minny and offer White for Naz Reid, Taurean Prince, and a 2nd rounder tbh.

Reid fits this team perfectly and can start next to Poeltl. He’s an 18 & 8 guy waiting to happen and those fools don’t know what they have. White would be a good fit for them and would be in his ideal role which is a 4th option that can defend.

JADG79
11-11-2021, 10:57 AM
Chicago and Sacramento need to trade Coby White and Marvin Bagley. I think Derrick White is a good fit in Chicago that is in Win mode and Coby White has a lot of potential. They can include Coby White and Derrick Jones to match salary.

Boston has a trade exception of 17M and they don't need to send players. They need a PF and good passers. Derrick or Thad are good fit.

Bagley is injury prone but worth the risk.

duncan2k5
11-11-2021, 01:50 PM
Good Derrick White isn't worth trading.

Bad Derrick White isn't worth trading for.

(At least in the context of a Simmons deal)

He is 27... He has more bad days than good days... He needs to go... Stop pretending he is in his first or second year and will turn a corner... He is who he is

gambit1990
11-14-2021, 06:48 PM
-22 today.

ismael-robert
11-29-2021, 10:39 PM
Patience is a virtue. White takes a while to find rhythm. Never had a doubt. Dumb thread is dumb.

MI21
11-30-2021, 02:16 AM
Nice to see him actually look at the hoop as he is probing from the PnR. Harrell was absolutely ghastly defending it though so it's hard to take much from Derrick's performance really.

duncan2k5
11-30-2021, 02:20 AM
This happens everytime... Y'all can't want to keep giving this dude chances when he has a good game every 3 games... That's not the consistency a winning team needs from it's starters... White needs to come off the bench or be traded

exstatic
11-30-2021, 03:44 PM
Chicago and Sacramento need to trade Coby White and Marvin Bagley. I think Derrick White is a good fit in Chicago that is in Win mode and Coby White has a lot of potential. They can include Coby White and Derrick Jones to match salary.

Boston has a trade exception of 17M and they don't need to send players. They need a PF and good passers. Derrick or Thad are good fit.

Bagley is injury prone but worth the risk.

Bagley is a scrub that they’ve been trying to move for a year. He wasn’t offered an extension, and is barely playing.

PhantomDashCam
11-30-2021, 05:48 PM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1465533365805850625?s=20

https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1465539718645432322?s=20

When your peers and coaches believe in your ability, it speaks volumes.
Bottom line, when Derrick plays well on both sides of the ball; Spurs tend to be in and win their fair share of games.

lefty20
11-30-2021, 06:25 PM
Bottom line, when Derrick plays well on both sides of the ball; Spurs tend to be in and win their fair share of games.

Nobody in their right mind would argue this point.

The only doubt is in his ability to bring it consistently on the offensive side. He needs to prove that he can do it, otherwise it's time to either bench him or trade him.

ismael-robert
11-30-2021, 07:56 PM
Once he gets his rhythm he keeps it. The only times he loses it is when he has to stop playing. He is not an up n down player once he finds his rhythm

Rocalcio
12-10-2021, 09:31 AM
Shitty thread.

KingKev
12-10-2021, 10:07 AM
I think now is a great time to sell if it helps rebalance this roster.

slick'81
12-10-2021, 10:37 AM
White coming on strong. Is an injury far away?

Mr. Body
12-10-2021, 10:39 AM
White has been a major pivot on whether the team's successful or not since he came on board. If he struggles the team struggles.

8sy21vd
12-10-2021, 11:12 AM
White would be a valuable trade chip if the Spurs wanted to upgrade their front court or acquire draft capital. A package of White + Thad and/or McNuggets is something the Spurs should explore this season. I am fan of White but he's 27 and his age doesn't really fit the timetable of this team unless they acquire a stud big man (unlikely). Denver is the ideal landing spot for him (they need a ton of defensive help) to pair with Joker and could slide over to the 2 or be the 6th man off the bench when Jamal Murray returns, but I'm not sure the Nugs have any bigs or draft capital the Spurs covet (Gordan on a terrible contract or Porter Jr. with a broken back?)...

Maybe a package of White, Thad, Walker or McNuggets + a FRP for Diva Ben lol

8sy21vd
12-10-2021, 11:15 AM
Let's hope Poetl doesn't take him out like last season. He took down KJ already lol

8sy21vd
12-10-2021, 11:15 AM
dp.

Fireball
12-10-2021, 11:19 AM
getting better and better ... this guy really needs 20 games to get himself going ... if he can stay healthy the lookout for the rest of the season is great

Allan Rowe vs Wade
12-10-2021, 11:23 AM
getting better and better ... this guy really needs 20 games to get himself going ... if he can stay healthy the lookout for the rest of the season is great

"If" :fight

John B
12-10-2021, 12:10 PM
It’s nice that Derrick is finding his shots again and being aggressive. He kind of remind me of Nash somehow with his penetration in the baseline, not giving up the dribble, just keep sucking the defense to pass/ally op to a cutting big, or cleverly shoots the ball. I hope he keeps attacking like this, because sometimes I feel he’s just too “nice” and not have enough dog in him. I mean I don’t see him getting “angry” or with a game face, just smiles when things don’t go his way :lol

KobesAchilles
12-10-2021, 12:23 PM
Let's hope Poetl doesn't take him out like last season. He took down KJ already lol
Poeltl is a clumsy af player tbh

KingKev
12-10-2021, 05:25 PM
White would be a valuable trade chip if the Spurs wanted to upgrade their front court or acquire draft capital. A package of White + Thad and/or McNuggets is something the Spurs should explore this season. I am fan of White but he's 27 and his age doesn't really fit the timetable of this team unless they acquire a stud big man (unlikely). Denver is the ideal landing spot for him (they need a ton of defensive help) to pair with Joker and could slide over to the 2 or be the 6th man off the bench when Jamal Murray returns, but I'm not sure the Nugs have any bigs or draft capital the Spurs covet (Gordan on a terrible contract or Porter Jr. with a broken back?)...

Maybe a package of White, Thad, Walker or McNuggets + a FRP for Diva Ben lol

Damn dude, reading my mind! I concur.

spurraider21
12-10-2021, 06:05 PM
main thing about him is he is playing with a renewed sense of confidence. being assertive, quick trigger finger on 3's

CGD
12-10-2021, 06:16 PM
I really love Derick -- great human, team guy. But, yeah, at 27, on great deal, I think next summer they need to shop him hard of future assets. I also put Jakob in this camp, who has also been awesome for Spurs (probably team's 2nd most important player) this year.

Feels like the longterm core includes DJ (25) and Vassell (21), with Primo a TBD.

Spurs Homer
12-10-2021, 06:27 PM
Trade him now before his china doll feet shatter again…

hurry!

Marco
12-10-2021, 07:25 PM
White, 27, doesn't fit the timetable but DJ, 25, does it?

spurraider21
12-10-2021, 08:11 PM
White, 27, doesn't fit the timetable but DJ, 25, does it?
how much better is murray today than he was 2-3 years ago. cant say the same for white tbh

John B
12-10-2021, 08:36 PM
Can he stay healthy?

slick'81
12-10-2021, 08:49 PM
Can he stay healthy?

were going to find out

RC_Drunkford
12-10-2021, 09:56 PM
Let’s hope White keeps this up

Marco
12-11-2021, 07:23 AM
how much better is murray today than he was 2-3 years ago. cant say the same for white tbh

That's another question.

exstatic
12-11-2021, 09:47 AM

White was better out of the box. He was a four year D1 player. I think he was a better distributor as a second year than DJ is now.

spurraider21
12-11-2021, 01:23 PM
That's another question.
It’s the same question. They have very different trajectories

KingKev
12-12-2021, 09:32 PM
I know there is not a chance in hell we actually make a trade but doubling down on selling DW every-time
he plays well.

RC_Drunkford
12-12-2021, 09:54 PM
Nah if White keeps playing like this I wouldn’t want to trade him. Just try to get what you can for Thad, McDermott, Forbes and Walker

duncan2k5
12-12-2021, 10:47 PM
Nah if White keeps playing like this I wouldn’t want to trade him. Just try to get what you can for Thad, McDermott, Forbes and Walker

U fell for it again... Like an abused wife when her husband brings flowers... White plays well for 20 games a season, and y'all keep holding on to hope that he will be consistent m.. it never happens

John B
12-13-2021, 12:10 AM
U fell for it again... Like an abused wife when her husband brings flowers... White plays well for 20 games a season, and y'all keep holding on to hope that he will be consistent m.. it never happens

Says the ugly girlfriend :lol

duncan2k5
12-13-2021, 03:15 AM
Says the ugly girlfriend :lol

Ummm... Ok, I guess... brilliant basketball analysis...Go off bro...

ismael-robert
12-14-2021, 12:55 AM
White didn't have to grow as much as Murray but they're equals now. He's consistent barring injury I can't recall him slumping without injury

gambit1990
12-27-2021, 11:21 PM
solid contract... deadline is around 45 days away. should be traded before he gets hurt again the second half of this season / next season.

gambit1990
12-27-2021, 11:23 PM
seems like a good dude though and i'd be really surprised if pop moved him this season.

Ice009
12-28-2021, 06:32 AM
I really like Derrick. If only he were consistent and more durable. As it stands, if the right deal came along, I'd probably include him if that's what it took to get the deal done.

John B
12-28-2021, 06:55 AM
I said it before. Derrick is the most skilled player in this team, but he plays “too nice.” I bet if he really wants to, he could be the “head of the snake.” He defers too much. He needs to be more selfish and take over games, dunk the ball and draw contacts. He is the most capable player in the squad to draw fouls and get to the line, get people out of their game. I know he’s not scared because time and again he draws charges against big guys even. I think he’s another player who needs to hang-around Manu and learn when to be aggressive and when to take over games. I like Derrick, but he needs to play more like an Alpha.

KingKev
12-28-2021, 01:02 PM
I said it before. Derrick is the most skilled player in this team, but he plays “too nice.” I bet if he really wants to, he could be the “head of the snake.” He defers too much. He needs to be more selfish and take over games, dunk the ball and draw contacts. He is the most capable player in the squad to draw fouls and get to the line, get people out of their game. I know he’s not scared because time and again he draws charges against big guys even. I think he’s another player who needs to hang-around Manu and learn when to be aggressive and when to take over games. I like Derrick, but he needs to play more like an Alpha.

He has had every opportunity to step up and seldom does. He is a bad 3pt shooter and has lost his sneaky athleticism. Continues to offer many intangibles however and could be used as an important contract/player to help facilitate a larger deal. With the backlog of players at the guard position he and Walker are
my first choices to move if an opportunity presents itself.

mo7888
12-31-2021, 10:41 AM
I'm a little surprised that Cleveland didn't try and acquire White after Rubio went down. They went and took Rondo out of the bargain bin instead.

Spurs Homer
12-31-2021, 11:42 AM
When I watch spurs games these days…

i am reminded of certain sure things in life …especially when I see D White getting ready to shoot;

water is wet
sky is blue
republi-cunts are traitors to this country

and

Derrick will miss the fucking shot-

injury incoming- trade his ass now!

MannyIsGod
12-31-2021, 11:57 AM
The guy shooting .25 from 3 is the most skilled player on the team? Man some of you love to overrate this guy. I think they should actively be shopping white. They have too many guards and while I think he a great defender and a good guard he's the one that it makes the most sense to trade given talent, contract band age. Especially if Lonnie finishes out the season playing as he is now. I believe Devin has a much higher ceiling than white and with primo also in the pipeline I don't see any way to keep all 3.

MannyIsGod
12-31-2021, 12:00 PM
I always wonder why st gave Patty so much shit for years for his contract and never blinks at White with a much bigger contract disappearing so often.

BackHome
12-31-2021, 12:35 PM
I really like Derrick. If only he were consistent and more durable. As it stands, if the right deal came along, I'd probably include him if that's what it took to get the deal done.

+1

buttsR4rebounding
12-31-2021, 03:31 PM
When I watch spurs games these days…

i am reminded of certain sure things in life …especially when I see D White getting ready to shoot;

water is wet
sky is blue
republi-cunts are traitors to this country

and

Derrick will miss the fucking shot-

injury incoming- trade his ass now!

Obviously someone who has never read the Constitution.

Dverde
12-31-2021, 03:31 PM
Still ready. Gotta trade before he hurts himself again

JeffDuncan
12-31-2021, 04:30 PM
Derrick should be traded only for a player who could reasonably be seen as part of a winning Spurs team in two years. If you can’t get that, a trade would be pointless.

Eye on the prize: a winning team. A possible trade for Derrick is not just about him.

talkspurs
12-31-2021, 04:53 PM
The guy shooting .25 from 3 is the most skilled player on the team? Man some of you love to overrate this guy. I think they should actively be shopping white. They have too many guards and while I think he a great defender and a good guard he's the one that it makes the most sense to trade given talent, contract band age. Especially if Lonnie finishes out the season playing as he is now. I believe Devin has a much higher ceiling than white and with primo also in the pipeline I don't see any way to keep all 3.

This is what I think too. He is good and does some good things but if we can get a better asset for him then lets go for it. He is also the oldest and probably easiest to replace. He could help out another team though. depending on who we could get from denver might not be a bad place for them as he would help them out this year and be good for them when murray comes back.

KingKev
01-01-2022, 04:21 AM
I'm a little surprised that Cleveland didn't try and acquire White after Rubio went down. They went and took Rondo out of the bargain bin instead.

I was thinking Cleveland would be an ideal situation for him but I wouldnt be surprised if the offer price for White is stupid high and lets face it White simply isn’t that good.

John B
01-01-2022, 09:32 AM
Sad to say that Derrick, with as much talent as he has and as I said coukd be the most skillful player in the squad, doesn’t have that “ump” to take-over games. Last night was a very good opportunity. He’s very much unlije DJM who’s vocal and willing to be the “head of the snake.” Not Derrick. He’s so inconsistent. I don’t doubt that he might play great tonight and then have another mediocre game the following. Primo seems to have that “alpha” mentality and might be a better fit next year if Spurs chose to package White and cashout. Earlier in the season I was for Derrick staying and Murray getting moved, but that has since changed with DJM continually working hard to elevate his game. Not Derrick unfortunately.

RC_Drunkford
01-01-2022, 09:43 PM
White is a good player. He's also the biggest pussy I've ever seen since Kyle Anderson. He can't even takeover a game against the Pistons who play a bunch of G-League scrubs who never played in the NBA before. The guy was out there not even wanting to shoot the ball

KingKev
01-02-2022, 01:18 PM
Does White have much trade value without packaging him with picks or the likes of Primo/Keldon/Vassell?

BackHome
01-03-2022, 05:56 PM
For a team that is close or a team that has multiple draft picks he would be worth it. I will say this if all the PF are picked before us and Ivey falls into our lap I am drafting him without hesitation and at the same time seeing what i can get for White in a trade.

offset formation
01-03-2022, 07:25 PM
Does White have much trade value without packaging him with picks or the likes of Primo/Keldon/Vassell?

Is this a real life question?

TDMVPDPOY
01-03-2022, 10:28 PM
white is like anderson big head....to scared do play of his role on the spurs...just wait til white gets traded, he chuck up more shots then he currently does....

John B
01-04-2022, 12:43 AM
white is like anderson big head....to scared do play of his role on the spurs...just wait til white gets traded, he chuck up more shots then he currently does....

It’s always the case then they fall back to reality, except if the new team has better talents around like in the case of the Bulls. Then they bring out the best of the player. I wouldn’t diubt Derrick would excel with a contender who would take some of the weight off his shoulders and let him just play. That’s how I see Derrick. He doesn’t excel as the leader, he shies away. He’d be a very good role player. Shame because he has the most skills in the squad imo

gambit1990
01-04-2022, 01:44 AM
The Athletic's John Hollinger has recently reported that the Los Angeles Lakers are "surely" making calls on "guards who can play off the ball". Hollinger listed Norman Powell, Derrick White, and Marcus Smart as potential options.

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-trade-rumors/nba-rumor-lakers-reportedly-making-calls-on-derrick-white-norman-powell-and-marcus-smart

gambit1990
01-04-2022, 01:44 AM
make another deal with the pacers tbh.

Rocalcio
01-04-2022, 02:18 AM
solid contract... deadline is around 45 days away. should be traded before he gets hurt again the second half of this season / next season.

Between this message and the thread about Murray, looks like you want to get rid of the whole roaster.

gambit1990
01-04-2022, 02:22 AM
Between this message and the thread about Murray, looks like you want to get rid of the whole roaster.
i'm ready to move white.

the thread about murray is about when he wants to be traded.

Rocalcio
01-04-2022, 02:25 AM
i'm ready to move white.

the thread about murray is about when he wants to be traded.

Meaning you believe he wants to leave and you’re ok with that. But there is no reason he would want to leave.

gambit1990
01-04-2022, 02:27 AM
Meaning you believe he wants to leave and you’re ok with that. But there is no reason he would want to leave.
the murray thread has 0 to do with if i'm okay about it or not.

Rocalcio
01-04-2022, 02:34 AM
the murray thread has 0 to do with if i'm okay about it or not.

It’s all about jinx then.

spurraider21
01-04-2022, 03:27 AM
You guys keep taking gambits weak bait imo

gambit1990
01-04-2022, 05:26 AM
You guys keep taking gambits weak bait imo
:lol

i believe two things:

> white should be traded

> murray will ask for a trade

gambit1990
01-04-2022, 05:29 AM
my takes are as clear as can be and spurstalk never fails to muddy them up.

gambit1990
01-04-2022, 05:35 AM
me, clear as day: "the thread about murray is about when he wants to be traded."

spurstalk: "Meaning you believe he wants to leave and you’re ok with that."

me:
https://media0.giphy.com/media/10Uv70X15egAJa/giphy.gif

KingKev
01-04-2022, 05:46 AM
I’m an idiot, of course.

Rocalcio
01-04-2022, 07:49 AM
:lol

i believe two things:

> white should be traded

> murray will ask for a trade

I noticed that you started both those thread, IMO you’re the one who needs to be traded from ST.

KingKev
01-04-2022, 09:57 PM
https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-trade-rumors/nba-rumor-lakers-reportedly-making-calls-on-derrick-white-norman-powell-and-marcus-smart

Lakers have virtually nothing to offer and would struggle to make the math work. I don’t value White much but unless they are throwing in a FRP which would still be way out White isn’t even a realistic target for the Lakers.

GAustex
01-04-2022, 10:15 PM
Keldon is pretty good at flexing
Not much else
Oh
He throws passes away all the time

KingKev
01-04-2022, 10:17 PM
Keldon is pretty good at flexing
Not much else
Oh
He throws passes away all the time

Wrong thread.

GAustex
01-04-2022, 10:18 PM
Wrong thread.
I missed the trade KJ thread
Sorry
Not really

gambit1990
01-05-2022, 12:22 AM
I noticed that you started both those thread, IMO you’re the one who needs to be traded from ST.
oh, you noticed i started both threads ?? :lol

did you know this is a forum?

Rocalcio
01-05-2022, 04:08 AM
oh, you noticed i started both threads ?? :lol

did you know this is a forum?

Don’t be stupid, I was pointing out the fact that both your threads talk about trading our players.

JeffDuncan
01-05-2022, 08:11 AM
I have no talent at all for that kind of thing.

True, you don’t.

Derrick should be traded only for a player who could reasonably be seen as part of a winning Spurs team in two years. If you can’t get that, a trade would be pointless.

Eye on the prize: a winning team. A possible trade for Derrick is not just about him.

The same is true for any player on the team.

Who do you have in mind, better than Derrick, for the team?

KingKev
01-05-2022, 08:17 AM
Of course, I remain an idiot

JeffDuncan
01-05-2022, 08:30 AM
I don’t know of anybody who’d be better for the Spurs than Derrick.

Then what’s the point of talking about trading him?

KingKev
01-05-2022, 08:47 AM
Then what’s the point of talking about trading him?

Presumably, and of course, you trade players because the goal of a trade is, of course, reasonably and presumably to keep your eye on the prize of winning more games of course. If the player you trade for can score more points or detract point scoring ability by the other team while keeping his eye on the prize of winning, presumably and of course the trade should be made - JeffDuncan

Back to intelligent conversation now. White is our highest paid player at the only position we have some depth. It would be wise to explore the trade market for attributes we are desperately in need of; important things like scoring, shot creation, floor spacing, perimeter defence etc. In an effort to WIN, of course.

JeffDuncan
01-05-2022, 12:25 PM
I’m good at lying about what others have posted.

No, you’re not. Be more creative, and more insightful. Or just funnier.

Back to intelligent conversation now. White is our highest paid player …

Intelligent conversation is nice where it can be found, but Murray is the Spurs’ highest paid player. White is 2nd.

The Spurs’ player payroll befits a 14-22 team. The top five:

Murray, $15.4M
White, $15.2M
Young (not playing), $14.2M
McDermott, $13.8M
Aminu (dead cap), $10.2M

Not a pretty picture. Two of the top five are scoring no points, getting no rebounds, or anything. Not that this is all new to you, but some might be surprised.

... It would be wise to explore the trade market for attributes we are desperately in need of; important things like scoring, shot creation, floor spacing, perimeter defence etc. In an effort to WIN, of course.

Sure, and that goes for any of the players. The team stands at 14-22 after the previous two seasons of 32-39 and 33-39. It’s a loser. Every player on the Spurs should be available for the right deal. Every one.

I see guys post things like, they’re ready to see all the players traded except so-and-so. But why keep so-and-so? They think they might have a chance to marry him?

Still, the goal is to win, as you say, and as I said earlier. Trading White just to be rid of him would be pointless.

KingKev
01-21-2022, 08:07 AM
I wonder if Sac would consider Buddy Hield and Marvin Bagley for White, Thad and Walker.

Hield has been in decline, at least scoring wise the last few seasons but he is still a top 3 pt shooter and shoots off the dribble, catch and shoot, off screens etc at a high volume and efficient rate - ~39% on 9-10 attempts a game. He’d be a pretty good fit with DJ in the back court.

I’m not big on Bagley but he is still young and may just need a change of scenery. Gives us a true PF but he would be an tough fit with Jak, would be better suited playing alongside Collins. He is an RFA this summer so this would give you the chance to first try him out for half a season and allows you to match any offer if he is worth retaining. I doubt Sac is looking to retain him this summer regardless.

This trade would basically be White for Hield and an option on Bagley.

exstatic
01-21-2022, 11:24 AM
Hield really brings nothing else to the table except the long ball. 3-4 seasons ago, he was shooting 43% over a span of 2 seasons. That’s dangerous. Now, he’s shooting 38%. Still sounds good, but the difference in those two percentages over 100 shots is 15 points, which is quite a plunge. 43% is 129 points, and 38% is 114 points. That makes it less easy to overlook his other average or non-existent skills. I hate Bagley, and his QO to retain restricted FA status will be astronomical, tying up cap room. Lonnie’s is over $11M, and he was the #18 pick in that draft. Bagley was #2. I’d rather see if we can get Smith, let Lonnie walk, and Keep White, who would be a great PnR partner with Smith.

I also doubt the Spurs would send Thad to a bottom feeder, even though he’s been vocally complaining most of the season.

KingKev
01-21-2022, 11:34 AM
Hield really brings nothing else to the table except the long ball. 3-4 seasons ago, he was shooting 43% over a span of 2 seasons. That’s dangerous. Now, he’s shooting 38%. Still sounds good, but the difference in those two percentages over 100 shots is 15 points, which is quite a plunge. 43% is 129 points, and 38% is 114 points. That makes it less easy to overlook his other average or non-existent skills. I hate Bagley, and his QO to retain restricted FA status will be astronomical, tying up cap room. Lonnie’s is over $11M, and he was the #18 pick in that draft. Bagley was #2. I’d rather see if we can get Smith, let Lonnie walk, and Keep White, who would be a great PnR partner with Smith.

I also doubt the Spurs would send Thad to a bottom feeder, even though he’s been vocally complaining most of the season.

I’d hope the change of scenery could help Hield improve his game. His 3pt % has dropped but his attempts have doubled so not that concerning and when he is hot he is lights out. I’m drawn to the array of 3pt shooting ability so he doesn’t always need the ball in his hands to be effective from beyond the arch.

Good point on Bagley’s QO - it’s 14.7mm so quite steep and he is unlikely to fetch that away. We’d have the cap space to sign him either way so no need to even offer him the QO.

Chinook
01-21-2022, 11:39 AM
I wonder if Sac would consider Buddy Hield and Marvin Bagley for White, Thad and Walker.

Hield has been in decline, at least scoring wise the last few seasons but he is still a top 3 pt shooter and shoots off the dribble, catch and shoot, off screens etc at a high volume and efficient rate - ~39% on 9-10 attempts a game. He’d be a pretty good fit with DJ in the back court.

I’m not big on Bagley but he is still young and may just need a change of scenery. Gives us a true PF but he would be an tough fit with Jak, would be better suited playing alongside Collins. He is an RFA this summer so this would give you the chance to first try him out for half a season and allows you to match any offer if he is worth retaining. I doubt Sac is looking to retain him this summer regardless.

This trade would basically be White for Hield and an option on Bagley.

I wouldn't trade White for Hield, and Bagley's RFA rights are useless as a sweetener. I would have considered Thad for Bagley earlier in the season, but I'd hope there's something better now.

R. DeMurre
01-21-2022, 11:45 AM
Not a fan of Hield... his advanced stats are almost always upside down and he's older than White. White is probably better at everything other than 3pt shooting, plus Hield plays the same position as Primo-- why put another guy in the way there? White can play both guard positions and plausibly be part of a very flexible future rotation with Primo & Murray. I don't think Hield has the same flexibility. It seems what the Spurs are trying to do with Primo right now by having him work on his PG skills in the G League is to specifically lead him away from being a Hield type of player.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=whitede01&p1yrfrom=2022&player_id2=hieldbu01&p2yrfrom=2022

KingKev
01-21-2022, 11:52 AM
Not a fan of Hield... his advanced stats are almost always upside down and he's older than White. White is probably better at everything other than 3pt shooting, plus Hield plays the same position as Primo-- why put another guy in the way there? White can play both guard positions and plausibly be part of a very flexible future rotation with Primo & Murray. I don't think Hield has the same flexibility. It seems what the Spurs are trying to do with Primo right now by having him work on his PG skills in the G League is to specifically lead him away from being a Hield type of player.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=whitede01&p1yrfrom=2022&player_id2=hieldbu01&p2yrfrom=2022

Fair point on Primo although I think we are a few years away from seeing him in the starting lineup.

RC_Drunkford
01-21-2022, 12:25 PM
You don’t trade White for Hield. Without White our defense goes down the drain. He just really needs to work on his 3-point shooting

KingKev
01-21-2022, 12:30 PM
You don’t trade White for Hield. Without White our defense goes down the drain. He just really needs to work on his 3-point shooting

White’s D is serially underrated league wide i’ll concede. I’m not holding my breath for his offensive game, especially 3pt shooting to get any better however and his eventual replacement is probably already on the roster in Primo. Hield might not be the answer but I do hope White is being opportunistically shopped.

BackHome
01-21-2022, 01:22 PM
Yeah, Walker and Young hopefully shipped out in a decent trade. Then praying we get a high draft pick and depending on who we draft with our three picks maybe get better replacement player for Eubanks and Tre.

As far as White it’s all about the right Trade if the right ones comes across you do it but not for some old vet

KingKev
01-23-2022, 09:55 PM
White tied with McLovin’ for most 3pt shots per game @5.2 shooting a miserable 29.9% however.

CGD
01-25-2022, 10:55 PM
Now that ATL is shopping him, when are all the John Collins enthusiasts from this summer going to come out and call for a White-Collins trade?

TDMVPDPOY
01-26-2022, 03:20 AM
this guy is just as bad as fat head :(

KingKev
01-26-2022, 08:11 AM
this guy is just as bad as fat head :(

I wonder if he can go the whole season <30% on 5, 3pt shots a game. That would be really impressive. If we can get a legit SF this offseason I think it’s only a matter of time before Vassell/Primo push White out.

I remain a seller.

Atl Spur
01-26-2022, 09:35 AM
White will be our sixth man ideally….. he’s valuable in that roll like manu

KingKev
01-26-2022, 10:14 AM
White will be our sixth man ideally….. he’s valuable in that roll like manu

More valuable in a trade to me. In the next few years my hope is Primo starts at the 2 and Vassell, Keldon and Tre can backup the 1-3 spots if we can find a decent SF.

koriwhat
01-27-2022, 11:10 AM
Collins?

R. DeMurre
01-27-2022, 11:30 AM
Unless it's a trade involving a star, trading White would be a mistake in my opinion. White's consistently a net positive player & the consummate glue guy-- some of his advanced stats are even better than Murray's right now, despite the fact that Murray's having a career year. Keldon is shooting an incredible (and probably unsustainable) three point percentage while White has so far had a subpar three point shooting season, and White still has a greater positive impact when on the floor. Murray & White aren't the issue. The issue is two starting forwards who can't out-rebound the two starting guards, and who as a tandem are not very strong defensively.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

exstatic
01-27-2022, 11:41 AM
White and Tre are the only really good PnR distributors. While DJ has improved, he can still only make basic reads, and often forces the ball, instead of hitting a perimeter shooter or pulling up himself.

XDT76
01-27-2022, 11:55 AM
I really don't whether to be happy or cry. Our second best rebounder is our starting PG and our second best interior defender is our starting SG.

LeBowen
01-27-2022, 12:59 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952819-nba-head-rumor-intel-latest-on-collins-turner-mccollum-grant-more

Atlanta placed a call to San Antonio about Derrick White, sources said. The Spurs and Mavericks have been considered Collins suitors dating back to the 2020 offseason.

If Atlanta are interested in Derrick, PATFO needs to make this happen.

couchman
01-27-2022, 01:23 PM
Derrick is an elite defender, one of the top 5 guards in the league.
And he is competent and a plus on offense despite his putrid shooting this year.
You don't just give that away for Buddy f'n Hield.

I'm good with trading him for real value

KingKev
01-27-2022, 01:26 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952819-nba-head-rumor-intel-latest-on-collins-turner-mccollum-grant-more

If Atlanta are interested in Derrick, PATFO needs to make this happen.

Spurs talk… I won’t trade White for anything less than 2 FRP and a young asset but would consider Walker, Thad and Eubanks plus a 2nd.

In all seriousness White, Thad and Detroit’s 22 SRP is a nice starting point. Add Jak is required. Ppl need to realize when we hit free agency this summer with no one to sign that 35mm will inevitably go to guys like Joe Ingles and 4 more 2m/yr
g-leaguers.

DAF86
01-27-2022, 01:31 PM
White's only problem is his inconsistency with his 3pt shooting. If he ever finds a way to fix that, he would be a beast.

LeBowen
01-27-2022, 01:50 PM
Spurs talk… I win’t trade White for anything less than 2 FRP and a young asset but would consider Walker, Thad and Eubanks plus a 2nd.

White, Thad and Detroit 22 SRP is a nice starting point. Ppl need to realize when we hit free agency this summer with no one to sign that 35mm will inevitably go to guys like Joe Ingles and 4 more 2m/yr
g-leaguers.

2FRP and a player? Morey, is that you? :lol

White is turning 28 soon, he's injury prone and inconsistent.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a very good player, but he doesn't fit the timeline or current roster.
A coupe of years ago I thought DJ will be the one to go eventually, but he improved and Derrick didn't. He's more or less the same player he was back then and he surely won't make any significant improvements at 28.

All-NBA level defender, good bball iq, but limited physically and not a reliable shooter. We can't afford both our starting guards to be bad shooters.
DJ is looking like our franchise guy and long term Derrick can't start next to him. I'm not saying we should trade him away for peanuts, but Collins is just what this team needs.

He's not a superstar or even that much better than Derrick, but a player of his profile would benefit everyone else.
We don't have a single actual PF on the roster if you exclude Thad who's on the trade block.

Collins is also a better 3pt shooter than Derrick and a great rebounder. Not good enough to be the first option, but he fits with any roster and gets his.
DJ would benefit from better spacing, Jakob would benefit from another good rebounder and Keldon would hugely benefit from not having to pretend he's the next Barkley.

I wouldn't give them any picks with Derrick, just salary filler.

We've got a ton of cap space and signing a big FA is highly unlikely. It also doesn't look like anyone better would be available in FA.
Again, I wouldn't trade Derrick away at any cost, but if Hawks' offer is reasonable, Collins is a perfect fit for this roster. Especially if Jakob gets another contract.

KingKev
01-27-2022, 02:18 PM
White's only problem is his inconsistency with his 3pt shooting. If he ever finds a way to fix that, he would be a beast.

It’s a really big problem. 29.5% on a team leading 5.2 attempts her game. <42% FG% over all. Passive and unable to step up on the offensive end when called upon. He would be a great 6 man… on another team.

talkspurs
01-27-2022, 02:45 PM
Im all for tradeing white but am not big on collins at the amount he makes. This is one of the cases of people see his name and think he is good. I would rather have boucher. He does the same and is much cheaper. He is a little older though.

I did come up with a trade I liked that I think Atl might also do.

https://fanspo.com/nba/trade-machine

They get the guard they want as well as another shooter and young to be a big off the bench, They also go from Tax paying team to non ta paying team. Collins is the only starter they lose but if they have been looking to trade him they might be open to it. They also get rid of Gallos contract.

Spurs do it as It gets them 2 younger bigs. gets them to see if they like OO. He is a little short for Center but has played well when gotten the time. I would also be willing to send Poeltl for Knox in a seperate trade since he cannot be included in the trade. I would not include any picks in this trade.

edit. Spurs could send Jacob to tor tor sends boucher to atl and we get knox. I dont want knox but this is to make atl more into it. would make them better give them a PF. Also tor might include some other asses/pick.

A lot of this would have to do with how much do they want white and how much do they want to get rid of collins. Dont think either of these would be high enough to make the trade work though.

exstatic
01-27-2022, 02:57 PM
Spurs talk… I won’t trade White for anything less than 2 FRP and a young asset but would consider Walker, Thad and Eubanks plus a 2nd.

In all seriousness White, Thad and Detroit’s 22 SRP is a nice starting point. Add Jak is required. Ppl need to realize when we hit free agency this summer with no one to sign that 35mm will inevitably go to guys like Joe Ingles and 4 more 2m/yr
g-leaguers.

Somehow, I think we’ll be able to coax Jalen Smith to grab the bag of $8-10M this summer, AND keep White.

CGD
01-27-2022, 03:36 PM

g-leaguers.

I happily do the White, Thad and DET’s SRP trade for Collins. Does that work salary wise though?

exstatic
01-27-2022, 03:39 PM
I happily do the White, Thad and DET’s SRP trade for Collins. Does that work salary wise though?

Why would you trade assets for Collins, when you can sign a couple years younger version this summer, and keep your assets?

CGD
01-27-2022, 03:47 PM
Why would you trade assets for Collins, when you can sign a couple years younger version this summer, and keep your assets?

A number of reasons:

- Frankly, I’m just not as high in Jalen Smith as you are.
- I think it’s reasonable that Collins would require slightly more than just White.
- I love White, but one of him or Murray needs to be flipped to balance the roster. Better the one that fits the timeline less.
- Murray, Vassell, Collins is a good core to build around, with Primo and 2022 FRP in the wings.
- We also have 2 SRPs, with the Laker one looking better each day.
- I’d prefer to hold Thad for a separate deal, but not sure where that is coming from now. But if they land that deal for Thad though, I’m happy to include Lonnie instead since he’s slightly more than filler at this point.

exstatic
01-27-2022, 03:55 PM
A number of reasons:

- Frankly, I’m just not as high in Jalen Smith as you are.
- I think it’s reasonable that Collins would require slightly more than just White.
- I love White, but one of him or Murray needs to be flipped to balance the roster. Better the one that fits the timeline less.
- Murray, Vassell, Collins is a good core to build around, with Primo and 2022 FRP in the wings.
- We also have 2 SRPs, with the Laker one looking better each day.

White is the only rotation player who runs the PnR effectively. Tre can, but he’s off and on in the rotation. DJ just locks in on the roll man, and forces the pass, even if it’s not there.

The thing that alarms me is that JCollins numbers have been trending downwards for the second season in a row, both counting stats, and advanced. There’s a reason they want to move him. He’s not good enough to really put a team on his back, and take them anywhere meaningful, but he’s good enough to fuck up our draft position, so we’re essentially trading down there, as part of the cost.

CGD
01-27-2022, 04:19 PM
White is the only rotation player who runs the PnR effectively. Tre can, but he’s off and on in the rotation. DJ just locks in on the roll man, and forces the pass, even if it’s not there.

The thing that alarms me is that JCollins numbers have been trending downwards for the second season in a row, both counting stats, and advanced. There’s a reason they want to move him. He’s not good enough to really put a team on his back, and take them anywhere meaningful, but he’s good enough to fuck up our draft position, so we’re essentially trading down there, as part of the cost.

The draft position point is fair. Anyway, such a deal could be there this summer too if they want to go that direction.

KingKev
01-27-2022, 04:27 PM

It’s a really big problem. 29.5% on a team leading 5.2 attempts her game. <42% FG% over all. Passive and unable to step up on the offensive end when called upon. He would be a great 6 man… on another team.

CGD
01-27-2022, 05:49 PM
Re ATL, do we still think they view Hunter as untouchable? Unclear with how they're preformed this year, but they did jettison Reddish. If he were available, I'd prefer him over Collins in White trade TBH.

exstatic
01-27-2022, 06:06 PM
Re ATL, do we still think they view Hunter as untouchable? Unclear with how they're preformed this year, but they did jettison Reddish. If he were available, I'd prefer him over Collins in White trade TBH.

Reddish is terrible. Hunter is not.

CGD
01-27-2022, 06:11 PM
Reddish is terrible. Hunter is not.

No doubt -- i meant that they choose not to pay both players next year when they are both up for extensions suggesting they favor DeAndre. But what's unclear is whether he's still "untouchable" or if that's shifted some, especially if they do that Simmons/Harris deal.

XDT76
01-27-2022, 07:08 PM
No doubt -- i meant that they choose not to pay both players next year when they are both up for extensions suggesting they favor DeAndre. But what's unclear is whether he's still "untouchable" or if that's shifted some, especially if they do that Simmons/Harris deal.

Nobody gonna touch that trade any team that wants to pay north of $55m for 2 players who could not be counted on in crunch time is determine to tank. However given their profile it will mess up with the tank.

emanueldavidginobili
01-27-2022, 08:10 PM

DJ has been a maestro in the PnR this season cmon man, to say he doesn't run the PnR effectively is asinine.

RC_Drunkford
01-27-2022, 08:59 PM
Derrick is an elite defender, one of the top 5 guards in the league.
And he is competent and a plus on offense despite his putrid shooting this year.
You don't just give that away for Buddy f'n Hield.

I'm good with trading him for real value

Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Ja Morant, Dejounte Murray, Luka Doncic, James Harden, Kyrie Irving, Donovan Mitchell, Jrue Holiday, etc. etc.

How is White a top 5 guard in the league? :lmao

exstatic
01-27-2022, 09:09 PM
DJ has been a maestro in the PnR this season cmon man, to say he doesn't run the PnR effectively is asinine.

He’s awful at times. Don’t confuse being able to make the basic drop pass MOST of the time with being a maestro. He almost never looks to the perimeter when the help defender drops down, either. He had one last night where he didn’t turn the corner, and tried to bounce the ball ahead, in between two defenders with predictable results, in a close game, in the fourth quarter. White didn’t even make plays that dumb as a rookie.

White is a far better pick and roll ball handler and decision maker.

RC_Drunkford
01-27-2022, 09:23 PM
He’s awful at times. Don’t confuse being able to make the basic drop pass MOST of the time with being a maestro. He almost never looks to the perimeter when the help defender drops down, either. He had one last night where he didn’t turn the corner, and tried to bounce the ball ahead, in between two defenders with predictable results, in a close game, in the fourth quarter. White didn’t even make plays that dumb as a rookie.

last night Derrick White couldn't throw a proper alley-oop pass and passed up a wide open corner 3 in crunch time. He's obviously not a better decision maker than Murray. I remember him throwing the ball out of bounds at the end of a quarter with like 2 seconds to go so the other team could inbound right at the Spurs basket. The guy has made a bunch of boneheaded plays in crucial moments this season. Talk about overrated.

And I actually like White

emanueldavidginobili
01-27-2022, 09:39 PM

Does DJ run the PnR effectively? Yes or No? Also,

9.1 assist 2.4 TO 19 games with 10+ assist>>>5.6 assist 1.7 turnovers 2 games with 10+ assist. Not saying all those numbers come from the PnR but come on man DJ has been excellent in decision making this season + setting players up and in the PnR.

couchman
02-02-2022, 06:42 PM
I think most people understood that I'm saying he is one of the top 5 defensive guards in the league

couchman
02-02-2022, 06:43 PM
Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Ja Morant, Dejounte Murray, Luka Doncic, James Harden, Kyrie Irving, Donovan Mitchell, Jrue Holiday, etc. etc.

How is White a top 5 guard in the league? :lmao

I think most people understood the sentence, which says that White is one of the top 5 defensive guards in the league.
Sorry for confusing you

KingKev
02-03-2022, 10:32 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952915-bold-2022-nba-trade-deadline-predictions-with-one-week-remaining

Bleacher Report is pretty bad but they mention White could garner 2 FRPs. Give me two firsts for White without taking back a bad contract and I’m with it.

I personally think most don’t appreciate the scarcity and value of FRPs in the current NBA landscape. The Grizz, Magic, Thunder and Pels own like 25% of FRPs over the next 5 years.

Couple that with the amount of teams in the luxury tax the next couple of years (2022 will be the highest total luxury tax paid by payers ~double the next highest year) and FRPs are going to trade at an absolute premium.

GMs can posture and pander all they want about getting 2-3 FRPs for guys like Sabonis or Grant but I don’t see that happening.

gambit1990
02-03-2022, 12:32 PM
trade deadline is next week.

itzsoweezee
02-08-2022, 01:11 PM
The time is right to trade White. There aren’t many sellers out there. The spurs should at least be able to get a first round pick for him. And there’s no point keeping him around. He doesn’t fit with any team timeline. Time to make the move

Prose
02-08-2022, 08:54 PM
yup, been ready. So frustrating to see his regression and inconsistency after his breakout year where he played so well vs Denver in the playoffs

gambit1990
02-09-2022, 02:52 PM
24 hours...

Gagnrath
02-10-2022, 08:52 AM
Honestly I just want White to get a somewhat more consistent three point shot from the Elbow. He does that and all of a sudden. He becomes a much more valuable player . What kills me with White is that when he's right he's a very very good sg, but he's also a guy that just being sore makes him way less effective. Some guys game depends on their physical abilities and he's such a timing player that any hesitation or pull makes him look much worse than when he's right. He is also a player who looks much better when the other teams defense isn't aimed to keep him from getting points and facilitating the offense.

KingKev
02-10-2022, 09:00 AM
Ready when you are Brian.

The Truth #6
02-10-2022, 09:05 AM
If not today then maybe they revisit around draft day after they know more of their pick and who they want.

gambit1990
02-10-2022, 04:34 PM
:toast

gambit1990
02-10-2022, 10:40 PM
this is so random..
it's called having foresight.

K...
02-10-2022, 10:44 PM
it's called having foresight.

its funny how you bump this thread but not your other, oh well

gambit1990
02-10-2022, 10:50 PM
i'll do it now.

gambit1990
02-11-2022, 01:17 AM
i had also made another thread saying murray wants out. let's see what happens.

gambit1990
05-15-2022, 05:00 PM
he couldn't have played much worse. in a game 7 no less...

daslicer
05-15-2022, 05:06 PM
he couldn't have played much worse. in a game 7 no less...

He's in the best situation in the sense Boston doesn't need him to be consistent and they can still win when he doesn't show up.

gambit1990
05-15-2022, 06:09 PM
He's in the best situation in the sense Boston doesn't need him to be consistent and they can still win when he doesn't show up.
yeah. he can't play any worse against the heat...

gambit1990
05-26-2022, 12:24 AM
yeah. he can't play any worse against the heat...
enjoy that ring derrick.

gambit1990
06-09-2022, 03:28 AM
enjoy that ring derrick.
:tu