Sheed's White Spot
09-22-2021, 12:41 AM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/xT4uQyt1itvJzYxYkw/giphy.gif

Spurtacular
09-22-2021, 02:52 AM
https://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/SheedKickMe.gif

Neo.
09-22-2021, 08:32 AM
timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8)

Deuce (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=3542)

continued forum spam by spurtacular

MultiTroll
09-22-2021, 01:17 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTukGofAxcd/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

testing 1 2 3

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTukGofAxcd/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Arcadian
09-22-2021, 01:30 PM
'89 Pistons or '04 Pistons, which was better?

Spurtacular
09-22-2021, 08:02 PM
'89 Pistons or '04 Pistons, which was better?

89 Pistons.

Thomas / Dumars / Microwave > Billups, Rip, Lindsey Hunter

Laimbeer would be in Rasheed's head and get him double technicals.

Sally / Mahorn could battle on the block with Ben Wallace. Bring in James Edwards for some sweeping shots on the block.

Aguirre a better scorer than Prince but not a better defender, so call it a wash there.

Arcadian
09-22-2021, 08:36 PM
89 Pistons.

Sally / Mahorn could battle on the block with Ben Wallace. Bring in James Edwards for some sweeping shots on the block.

Aguirre a better scorer than Prince but not a better defender, so call it a wash there.

I agree. After looking at their playoff records and stats, it's not even close. The '89 Pistons went 15-2 in the playoffs, while the '04 Pistons went 16-7.

Spurtacular
09-23-2021, 02:09 PM
I agree. After looking at their playoff records and stats, it's not even close. The '89 Pistons went 15-2 in the playoffs, while the '04 Pistons went 16-7.

I do wonder if Rasheed Wallace might be better at spreading the floor than Laimbeer. He's certainly better in the post. But I give the 89 Pistons the edge nonetheless.

lefty
09-23-2021, 03:02 PM
Those playoff records need context

The 2004 Pistons beat the 2 time defending EC Champions in the 2nd round and a legit contender (Indy) in the ECF
They should have sept the Lakers but of fucking course Kobe had to hit that 3 in game 2 :lol

The 1989 Pistons beat a shitty Bucks team in the 2nd round anf a Bulls team that wasn't a contender yet
If Magic and Scott were healthy, Pistons would still have won the Finals but not in a sweep

I'm not saying 2004 is better than 89, I'm just saying context matters

lefty
09-23-2021, 03:04 PM
But the 2004 Pistons were better obviously :lol

Also I'm not buying that Laimbeer would have driven Wallace mad, Sheed wasn't like his 2000 self and Laimbeer usually went after smaller players, he wouldn't have tried his luck against Rasheed

Spurtacular
09-23-2021, 04:58 PM

The 2004 Pistons beat the 2 time defending EC Champions in the 2nd round and a legit contender (Indy) in the ECF
They should have sept the Lakers but of fucking course Kobe had to hit that 3 in game 2 :lol

The 1989 Pistons beat a shitty Bucks team in the 2nd round anf a Bulls team that wasn't a contender yet
If Magic and Scott were healthy, Pistons would still have won the Finals but not in a sweep

The Bird-less Celtics were a really good eight seed. I thought they were going to get a game or two; and then they didn't.
That Bucks team was still potent despite being on their last legs. They had a lot of experience and were expected to get a game or two also.
The Bulls went up 2-1 on the Pistons. Then Jordan rules went into effect.
The Mavericks or Jazz are among others who would've been better than the Lakers. Stern's engineering is legendary. They were 12-0 in the playoffs before they hit the Pistons buzzsaw.

I do very much agree with your contention that the 89 playoffs record is deceiving. Though they followed it up and were dominant the next season. If Stern didn't take 88 from them, they would've been a three-peat champion. Some would argue that the 04 Pistons could've been three-peat champions with a bit more luck; but I'd say the edge goes to the 89 Pistons on these superficial parameters. After that, the argument of how much allegedly better were players fifteen years later comes into effect.

Spurtacular
09-23-2021, 05:01 PM
But the 2004 Pistons were better obviously :lol

Also I'm not buying that Laimbeer would have driven Wallace mad, Sheed wasn't like his 2000 self and Laimbeer usually went after smaller players, he wouldn't have tried his luck against Rasheed

Laimbeer went after Parish who was way more bad ass than Wallace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ow29Ea9hCQ&ab_channel=Ei8hthWonder

Neo.
09-23-2021, 05:37 PM
:lol imagine if a player "punched" (overhand slapped) someone like that today, how much they would be clowned for such a wussy "punch" :lmao :lmao

"durhrhrhr how soft they need to learn how to fight and be REAL men like they were in the 80s where they tore each others gizzards out and could box like sugar ray leonard!!!!!!!"

Spurtacular
09-23-2021, 06:34 PM
:lol imagine if a player "punched" (overhand slapped) someone like that today, how much they would be clowned for such a wussy "punch" :lmao :lmao

"durhrhrhr how soft they need to learn how to fight and be REAL men like they were in the 80s where they tore each others gizzards out and could box like sugar ray leonard!!!!!!!"

Pity response.

Arcadian
09-23-2021, 08:41 PM

True. For what it's worth, 89 also had a far better regular season record (63-19 vs. 54-28), and they had more scoring between Thomas, Dumars, and Dantley/Aguirre. I'm sure 04 was the better defensive team, but 89 was the better offensive team.

FrostKing
09-23-2021, 10:17 PM
https://i.ibb.co/1LwjxQ0/Screenshot-20210923-201649-Chrome.jpg

WhatIfSports

Millennial_Messiah
09-23-2021, 10:39 PM
I'm old enough to remember when there was actually a sub forum for this team. As well as for Sacramento. I guess timvp considered them allies because they were anti Lakers.

lefty
09-23-2021, 11:31 PM
I'm old enough to remember when there was actually a sub forum for this team. As well as for Sacramento. I guess timvp considered them allies because they were anti Lakers.
I think they were born out of respect for our series (2005 and 2006 respectively) vs those teams
So classy, very Popovichesque if you ask me :lol

Spurtacular
09-24-2021, 12:41 AM
https://i.ibb.co/1LwjxQ0/Screenshot-20210923-201649-Chrome.jpg

WhatIfSports

Corliss Williamson, Bobby Sura, (not fully developed) M. Okur are good bench options I had forgotten. But 89 Pistons still beat 04 Pistons on depth IMO.

Spurtacular
09-24-2021, 08:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAK8_dOW1Sk&ab_channel=ClaytonCrowley

American Citizen
09-24-2021, 08:26 AM
89 Pistons.

Dennis Rodman, bro.

Millennial_Messiah
09-24-2021, 08:48 AM
I think they were born out of respect for our series (2005 and 2006 respectively) vs those teams
So classy, very Popovichesque if you ask me :lol

I was thinking more along the lines of ....

Kings: out of respect for the "rightful" 2002 NBA champions, if the refs didn't rig games 4 and 6 for the LA Losers...
Pistons: out of respect for them outright annihilating the LA Losers in the 2004 Finals

schadenfreude against LAL is definitely a long standing motif of ST (and for good reason) imo

Millennial_Messiah
09-24-2021, 08:50 AM
Dennis Rodman, bro.

Very young and pretty much a backup in his Pistons days. He fit the team mold on the court for sure, but that team's weakness was it suffered from long cold stretches on offense, so Rodman wasn't really much help there. Vinnie Johnson was like that era's Jamal Crawford... Lou Williams... 2011/2012 James Harden on the Thunder

ambchang
09-24-2021, 02:15 PM
Very young and pretty much a backup in his Pistons days. He fit the team mold on the court for sure, but that team's weakness was it suffered from long cold stretches on offense, so Rodman wasn't really much help there. Vinnie Johnson was like that era's Jamal Crawford... Lou Williams... 2011/2012 James Harden on the Thunder

Rodman won the DPoY the next two years and was 1st team defense in 89. He may put up better stats later in his career, but I always thought the Pistons from 89 to 92 was the best. But agreed on the offensive side, he great for screens and offensive rebounds, but other than that he wasn't of much use scoring.

lefty
09-24-2021, 03:01 PM
Rodman won the DPoY the next two years and was 1st team defense in 89. He may put up better stats later in his career, but I always thought the Pistons from 89 to 92 was the best. But agreed on the offensive side, he great for screens and offensive rebounds, but other than that he wasn't of much use scoring.
He was also great defensively in 88 tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpbHgEVdvX0

ambchang
09-24-2021, 04:23 PM

In the 92 allstar game (magics HIV game), rodman went to magic and said “you’re not going to score on me”. That said, magic went apeshit in the final few minutes and scored on everyone.

baseline bum
09-24-2021, 06:51 PM

You think Magic got hard when Isiah kissed him there?

Spurtacular
09-24-2021, 07:54 PM
You think Magic got hard when Isiah kissed him there?

No, but I think you did.

lefty
09-24-2021, 08:22 PM
In the 92 allstar game (magics HIV game), rodman went to magic and said “you’re not going to score on me”. That said, magic went apeshit in the final few minutes and scored on everyone.
They let him start and make those 2 three pointers at the end, pity ASG :lol

baseline bum
09-24-2021, 08:27 PM
LOL Derp, go talk to yourself some more, got your stupid ass on ignore.

American Citizen
09-25-2021, 02:25 AM
LOL Derp, go talk to yourself some more, got your stupid ass on ignore.

:lol Ignoring yourself.
:lol Telling yourself off.

American Citizen
09-25-2021, 02:28 AM

Auburn Hills was that big loud space with weird stands like Alamo Dome back in the day.
Tough place to play on the road. Most of Bird's supporting cast had their worst games there.

Spurtacular
09-25-2021, 02:33 AM

I always thought the abundant ghost fouls started with Jordan and maybe they still did.
But damn I'm seeing a bunch of pretend fouls for the Lakers.
Celtics would've rang every time in the 80s if they were getting those kind of calls all the time.

ambchang
09-25-2021, 08:06 AM
They let him start and make those 2 three pointers at the end, pity ASG :lol

:lol That is what they league has to do for Laker farewell games, but it was entertaining. It's not even as made up as the 60 point game.

I-p9lsMhGhg

lefty
09-25-2021, 10:12 AM
I always thought the abundant ghost fouls started with Jordan and maybe they still did.
But damn I'm seeing a bunch of pretend fouls for the Lakers.
Celtics never would've not rang in the 80s if they were getting those kind of calls all the time.

Team ref protection = started with 80s Lakers
Single player ref protection = started with Jordan

It eas just simple economics for Stern

Spurtacular
09-25-2021, 03:36 PM
Team ref protection = started with 80s Lakers
Single player ref protection = started with Jordan

It eas just simple economics for Stern

Stern knew how to prop up his brands. Dude was a Jew, right?

lefty
09-25-2021, 08:13 PM

He was

Millennial_Messiah
09-26-2021, 11:45 AM
main issue with Rodman was foul trouble and then getting techs because he's argue about fouls.

Millennial_Messiah
09-26-2021, 11:46 AM

So is Adam Silver

Millennial_Messiah
09-26-2021, 11:48 AM
Auburn Hills was that big loud space with weird stands like Alamo Dome back in the day.
Tough place to play on the road. Most of Bird's supporting cast had their worst games there.

have you been to the new one in Detroit city proper?

I think SBC Center/AT&T Center had a massive home court advantage in the Duncan era, tbh.

Alamodome had a lesser home court advantage despite having more capacity, the acoustics weren't as favorable for HCA... kind of like the Seattle Seahawks stadium effect vs. some bigger NFL stadiums that don't offer as much HFA, like the new Minnesota stadium, the new LA, SF and Vegas stadiums, and Jerryworld.

Spurtacular
09-27-2021, 05:16 AM
have you been to the new one in Detroit city proper?

I think SBC Center/AT&T Center had a massive home court advantage in the Duncan era, tbh.

Alamodome had a lesser home court advantage despite having more capacity, the acoustics weren't as favorable for HCA... kind of like the Seattle Seahawks stadium effect vs. some bigger NFL stadiums that don't offer as much HFA, like the new Minnesota stadium, the new LA, SF and Vegas stadiums, and Jerryworld.

The new Detroit arena is not a daunting venue like Auburn Hills was.

Millennial_Messiah
09-27-2021, 08:53 AM
The new Detroit arena is not a daunting venue like Auburn Hills was.

It's not popular among Michiganders who still care about the Pistons. Moving from the outer suburbs to the inner city is a large increase in traffic congestion and noise that upper middle class white suburbanites just aren't used to and don't like. It's a big reason why Jerry Jones built the new stadium in Arlington and, if he had had to do it over again, would probably have built it even farther away, in say Frisco / The Colony (where the Star is) or Plano. Why the 49ers built the new stadium in San Jose instead of SF. Why the Spurs built the SBC center in a terrible gentrification attempt in the early 2000s. etc.

FrostKing
09-28-2021, 01:01 PM
Braves ditched their 19 year old stadium (Turner Field) to move closer to the middle class ticket holder suburbs. But Atlanta is notorious for traffic.

Millennial_Messiah
09-28-2021, 03:46 PM
Braves ditched their 19 year old stadium (Turner Field) to move closer to the middle class ticket holder suburbs. But Atlanta is notorious for traffic.

Atlanta traffic is bad like 40+ miles out from the center, tbh.