PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Spurs Training Camp

Ocotillo
09-27-2021, 09:34 AM
9/27/2021 - Media Day for the Spurs. Live stream link below which is scheduled to start at 10:00am CST.

Tomorrow 9/28 is first day of training camp. Fresh thread to talk camp and hopefully only camp.

https://www.nba.com/news/2021-media-day-livestream-schedule

TDomination
09-27-2021, 10:04 AM
thank you for the link!

can't believe its starting tomorrow already

NASpurs
09-27-2021, 10:09 AM
Fvck!

Ocotillo
09-27-2021, 10:27 AM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1442509995178803206

Ocotillo
09-27-2021, 10:37 AM
https://twitter.com/Matthew_Tynan/status/1442501475301691396

Ocotillo
09-27-2021, 11:02 AM
https://twitter.com/TheTyJager/status/1442517347663704069 Luka getting bigger.

Ocotillo
09-27-2021, 11:05 AM
https://twitter.com/TheTyJager/status/1442518701752922114

Adding some muscle too. Interesting they say SOB weighs more than Jak

TDomination
09-27-2021, 12:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMgfmokSwzk&list=PLohXTJpzZpI0pOaIQxI4NH6s vwbsMabaS&t=4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87q9jFWxzGI

John B
09-27-2021, 12:22 PM
https://twitter.com/TheTyJager/status/1442518701752922114

Adding some muscle too. Interesting they say SOB weighs more than Jak

How is Devin losing more weight instead of bulking up?

Keldon seems to be slimming down, to get more agile at the SF position?

Everybody else seems to be bulking up

exstatic
09-27-2021, 01:13 PM
How is Devin losing more weight instead of bulking up?

Keldon seems to be slimming down, to get more agile at the SF position?

Everybody else seems to be bulking up

Jakob shrank an inch…

Seventyniner
09-27-2021, 01:21 PM
Jakob shrank an inch…

One inch is just about a rounding error imo. Most people shrink around 1/4 of an inch from when they wake up to when they go to bed, and that could be more for someone as tall as Poeltl. Enough to perhaps go from 7' 0.6" (rounds up to 7' 1") if measured in the morning to 7' 0.3" (rounds down to 7' 0") if measured in the afternoon or evening.

Just a possibility. For the younger players it could be actual growth or a similar effect.

Dejounte
09-27-2021, 01:30 PM
Primo listed 6’6” still. Wtf?

Chinook
09-27-2021, 01:51 PM
:lol such bullshit. It would be a lightening strike if Primo grows over this year. Those other guys didn't randomly gain inches in their mid 20s

Dejounte
09-27-2021, 01:52 PM
:lol such bullshit. It would be a lightening strike if Primo grows over this year. Those other guys didn't randomly gain inches in their mid 20s

Who are they bullshitting and why?

Chinook
09-27-2021, 02:16 PM
Who are they bullshitting and why?

They're likely reporting shoed measurements this year against shoeless last year. The NBA supposedly cracked down on teams reporting untrue heights, but this would fly in the face of that. Guys very rarely grow after 17. You could sell me on one of Johnson, Samanic, Vassell or Jones growing. Maybe on two growing if we're talking about a half-inch. But unless the Spurs are specifically drafting for open growth plates AND know some voodoo to stimulate growth, it seems way more likely to be training-camp propaganda ala Keldon supposedly growing last off-season. The odds just don't check out.

SAGirl
09-27-2021, 02:25 PM
Excited for the Spurs this season. The development and growth should be interesting in itself and there are so many new faces that it's going to be entertaining seeing how the season goes. I think there a chance they are better than expected but even if they aren't, they will still be interesting.

SAGirl
09-27-2021, 02:28 PM
Strictly about training camp though, the roster needs to be trimmed still so that's an added intrigue.

poopbox
09-27-2021, 02:48 PM
Interesting that Pop said Dejounte, Derrick, Devin, Lonnie, and Keldon are guys who are "going to play" and that everyone else is plug in during the situations needed. Would have thought Luka would be on that list :cry

FutureMan
09-27-2021, 03:38 PM
Interesting that Pop said Dejounte, Derrick, Devin, Lonnie, and Keldon are guys who are "going to play" and that everyone else is plug in during the situations needed. Would have thought Luka would be on that list :cry

Even more specifically the three main guys will be Murray, White, & Johnson. Almost every interview had someone say those three names together.

John B
09-27-2021, 04:31 PM
Even more specifically the three main guys will be Murray, White, & Johnson. Almost every interview had someone say those three names together.

Poeltl must be besides himself not being mentioned :lol. I think he has the longest years in the NBA among the young core

Dejounte
09-27-2021, 04:41 PM
They're likely reporting shoed measurements this year against shoeless last year. The NBA supposedly cracked down on teams reporting untrue heights, but this would fly in the face of that. Guys very rarely grow after 17. You could sell me on one of Johnson, Samanic, Vassell or Jones growing. Maybe on two growing if we're talking about a half-inch. But unless the Spurs are specifically drafting for open growth plates AND know some voodoo to stimulate growth, it seems way more likely to be training-camp propaganda ala Keldon supposedly growing last off-season. The odds just don't check out.

training camp propaganda? For whom

as far as the nba cracking down on it and this flying in the face of that… why go through the trouble

i get it. It’s unlikely. But I’m not seeing any legitimate reason why. All im reading is that it’s propaganda this, propaganda that. Spurs backdooring the NBAs rules. Doesnt make sense.

playblair
09-27-2021, 05:03 PM
ace3g why u let op steal ur entire thread

MultiTroll
09-27-2021, 05:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMgfmokSwzk&list=PLohXTJpzZpI0pOaIQxI4NH6s vwbsMabaS&t=4s
Sounds like Dumbass is finally going to stay out of the way. :clap
If there is any honesty to what he is proclaiming this is what non sniffers have been waiting for.

Chinook
09-27-2021, 06:02 PM
training camp propaganda? For whom

as far as the nba cracking down on it and this flying in the face of that… why go through the trouble

i get it. It’s unlikely. But I’m not seeing any legitimate reason why. All im reading is that it’s propaganda this, propaganda that. Spurs backdooring the NBAs rules. Doesnt make sense.

When you say, "It's unlikely, but" I feel like you're misunderstand HOW unlikely it is. It would be like saying, "I know there's no evidence of aliens visiting Earth, but". It's like, but nothing. Or, but any other explanation is more likely. In this case, the real explanation is that the Spurs have ALWAYS listed Murray at 6-5 (using him because there are years of TC rosters to look at). That includes last year. https://www.nba.com/spurs/spurs-announce-2020-21-training-camp-roster. They listed Johnson at 6-6 on there too. Heck, basically everyone but Walker seems to be listed at the same heights as last year. The tweet is using their real heights compared to the puff-piece TC heights pretty dishonestly overall. I didn't start off thinking it was this bad of a tweet. Heck, I assumed the Spurs DID change their listings. But nope. Only Lonnie is listed as being taller -- wait, he isn't even listed at 6-6.

I just, that was a weird tweet man. I don't want to go back and edit this to make it seem like it's not just a stream of consciousness

Dejounte
09-27-2021, 06:16 PM
I’m not misunderstanding how unlikely it is. Im primarily pointing to the odd assumption that the Spurs or TC (as if that’s a different entity) are puffing up heights to be dishonest for God knows whatever reason. Like, it’s more believable to say that whoever is measuring during TC isnt doing a good job than to say they have this hidden agenda that theyre trying to pull off.

KobesAchilles
09-27-2021, 06:52 PM
I will never trust NBA measurements. It’s like believing the height/weight of pro wrestlers back in the day. Undertaker was 7 feet tall when he debuted, now he is 6’10. Heights are always too tall and weights are never updated. I remember prime Lebron was listed at 230 and I was like no effing way. Dude is easily 250. Mills isn’t 6 feet either or whatever bullshit they had him at. I’ve met Patty and I’m taller.

Chinook
09-27-2021, 08:38 PM
I’m not misunderstanding how unlikely it is. Im primarily pointing to the odd assumption that the Spurs or TC (as if that’s a different entity) are puffing up heights to be dishonest for God knows whatever reason. Like, it’s more believable to say that whoever is measuring during TC isnt doing a good job than to say they have this hidden agenda that theyre trying to pull off.

So you seemingly missed most of what I wrote just to repeat what you said. The biggest takeaway is that the tweet lied. Nobody's heights changed from last season to this season. So there's no "Why would the Spurs do this?", because they didn't do it. The author of the tweet used shorter measurements for everyone but Walker whom he mistakenly says the Spurs measured as being taller. My guess is those shorter measurements are actually true compared to the inaccurate ones the Spurs have listed historically. It could be a shoes-vs-barefoot thing, or it could be the Spurs taking height with a grain of salt as they've long done.

But yeah, assuming like eight guys in their 20s all grew is astronomically unlikely. Like I'd have zero problem calling the Spurs liars if they came out and said that (which they didn't, just as a reminder). No one of the team has any chance to grow except Primo, and that's not just because of his age but because they specifically said his growth plates are open. For most men, those close at around 16, so it's a rare thing for him to still have any chance at all of growing. Even with all of that stuff fixed, the odds of him growing are still low. Add in that no one else has been confirmed to still have their plates open, and there's no statistical basis for suggesting anyone grew. It happens. Famously Robinson and White both had growth spurts in college. Giannis and George both reported added an inch or two of height in the NBA after their rookie years. But there have been thousands of NBA players in that time, and getting four examples, or even multiplying it by 10 and saying 40 guys definitely grew in their late teens and 20s reveals the low odds of it happening. Raise that to the eighth power, and... Even generously saying 1 percent of NBAers grow taller early in their career, you still have 1/100,000,000 that all of those guys grew like the tweet said.

HankChinaski
09-27-2021, 08:55 PM
You need to chill. As if Twitter is the New York Times of of journalism. IT IS FUCKING TWITTER. Anyone with a loose bean in the cranium can have a sports take.

J_Paco
09-28-2021, 12:57 AM

On the left is clearly measuring w/o shoes and right is with. Never made sense for the NBA to go to listing guys' heights w/o shoes when they don't play barefoot.

daslicer
09-28-2021, 01:45 AM
On the left is clearly measuring w/o shoes and right is with. Never made sense for the NBA to go to listing guys' heights w/o shoes when they don't play barefoot.

The problem is even with the shoe heights they exaggerate the heights of the players. For example I'm 6'2 but I met Kemba Walker once in person several years ago. I had at least 3 inches on Kemba but Kemba was listed by the Hornets to be 6'1. Kemba just recently mentioned his real height is 5'11. No way does a shoe give you more than an added inch in height.