PDA

View Full Version : So is Spectrum dogshit for anyone else in the San Antonio area?

baseline bum
10-08-2021, 08:48 PM
For like two weeks reliability has been shit for me, my internet goes down at least 3 times a day and my neighbors on Spectrum say the same shit. I look at their outage maps and it looks like they're having tons of outages in San Antonio, Austin, and Houston. Anyone else getting third world service from them the last couple of weeks?

Leetonidas
10-08-2021, 09:14 PM
Yes. Especially annoying since I work from home. I had ATT before and theirs was dogshit also. No Google fiber in my area yet but I'm definitely dumping them when a legit option presents itself

baseline bum
10-08-2021, 09:24 PM
Yes. Especially annoying since I work from home. I had ATT before and theirs was dogshit also. No Google fiber in my area yet but I'm definitely dumping them when a legit option presents itself

But has it gotten worse these last couple of weeks? Shit has been pretty reliable for me for more than ten years and now it's constantly in and out in my neighborhood these last two weeks. Speed has never been very good and price sucks but at least it worked, now I don't even get that.

GAustex
10-08-2021, 10:49 PM
No service issues in N Austin.

Millennial_Messiah
10-08-2021, 11:19 PM
Medina county, just west of SA city limits. We went away from them in 2015 to AT&T-DirecTV and haven't had problems except when there's the really bad weather we get sometimes in the springtime, usually in May.

DMC
10-09-2021, 12:31 PM
I cancelled Spectrum and have AT&T fiber now. Spectrum was dogshit, antiquated equipment and long ass resets with service bandwidth drops constantly. No issues now and I don't miss "channels". tbh, you get the same channels over and over and they just call it more channels. Just buy what you want to watch or get streaming services, customize your viewing and browsing choices and don't pay too much for shit service. I pay less than a quarter of what I was paying and get at least 2x more.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12161035176.png

Xevious
10-09-2021, 01:11 PM
I have Spectrum for internet only and haven't noticed any outages recently.

Trill Clinton
10-09-2021, 02:32 PM
I have U-Verse Fiber and my internet goes in and out all the time.

Thread
10-09-2021, 04:23 PM
I have U-Verse Fiber and my internet goes in and out all the time.

Bend over. I'll show ya fuckin' in and out all the time.

Millennial_Messiah
10-09-2021, 05:30 PM
Bend over. I'll show ya fuckin' in and out all the time.

:lol

There was a week in around early-mid October 2016 that I ate nothing but In N Out for about a week as they were having a promo. Good times.

ElNono
10-09-2021, 09:59 PM
They're shit everywhere... Spectrum and their cousins from hell Comcast...

TimDunkem
10-09-2021, 11:38 PM
Goes out all the time. Seems to get worse every year.

Neo.
10-10-2021, 07:54 AM
i have spectrum

it sucks

lefty
10-10-2021, 11:15 AM
:lol Mexican internet

No problem with Videotron here

DJR210
10-10-2021, 02:31 PM
baseline bum If your service sucks I'm sure it's the wiring from their nodes to your home. I have fought this battle several times with them while living in apartments with old wiring.. after escalating the issue 3 times and demanding their in house techs come and do a rewire (which they tried hard to avoid) the problem was fixed immediately. When I bought my house it was a brand new install and in over 6 years I've had one or two outages that lasted only a few minutes, and my speeds are faster than advertised 100% of the time.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2021, 03:26 PM
It's true that the problem could be in the coax cables and/or fittings. If you don't already know how, learn how to get the signal readings for all the channels in your modem. If any of them are out of range, that's good and relevant information to pass to tech support and whoever comes out to fix your shit. Cable can work fine but there are so many things that can go wrong in that last mile.

DMC
10-10-2021, 07:47 PM
How is Comcast?

Haven't even seen it around here. Is it predominately somewhere else in the country?

elbamba1
10-11-2021, 02:47 PM
I have had Spectrum for the last 3 years and before that Uverse (not fiber) up in Stone Oak and have never experienced an outage except during the February freeze. I intend to switch to Google Fiber when they finish the installation.

Ef-man
10-11-2021, 08:13 PM
Avoid Comcast like the plague.

They have hidden fees, rate salesperson gives you is not rate you are billed, raise rates without notice, slow internet speed, and have horrible customer service.

ChumpDumper
10-11-2021, 10:06 PM
Cable companies work on local monopolies so you'll rarely see overlap with Comcast. They're in Houston IIRC.

DJR210
10-12-2021, 11:15 AM
I have had Spectrum for the last 3 years and before that Uverse (not fiber) up in Stone Oak and have never experienced an outage except during the February freeze. I intend to switch to Google Fiber when they finish the installation.

Judging from the amount of people complaining on Nextdoor, Google Fiber is dogshit. People just have a hard on for it because of the speed test results. Working from home would be a real challenge with shit service like I see constantly being reported around the neighborhood.

ChumpDumper
10-12-2021, 11:31 AM
I'm in a ~3 year old neighborhood and had few problems with either Spectrum when I had them or now with ATT Fiber (save some installation issues). If I had the kind of problems mentioned here for WFH, I'd use a true unlimited cell plan as a backup.

DJR210
10-12-2021, 12:12 PM
I'm in a ~3 year old neighborhood and had few problems with either Spectrum when I had them or now with ATT Fiber (save some installation issues). If I had the kind of problems mentioned here for WFH, I'd use a true unlimited cell plan as a backup.

Yeah.. I really believe the condition of the lines no matter the provider is the root of most performance issues. For Google though, I don't have a theory why so many people are complaining about outages, it's all brand new lines here.

Chucho
10-12-2021, 12:16 PM
How is Comcast?

Haven't even seen it around here. Is it predominately somewhere else in the country?

Fucking awful. If you're in a populated neighborhood, no need to pay for the "best speeds", everyone siphons off bandwidth. I have the highest residential speeds you can have and still have to have my work PC hardwired to maximize speeds. Shit, absolute dog shit.

UVerse was by far the best internet service I ever had. Zero issues. No lag or lowered speeds. Super cheap.

ChumpDumper
10-12-2021, 12:44 PM
A single non-gamer with a good Verizon 5G signal at home could probably just get a Visible plan for $40 a month and not miss traditional home internet. Its tethering is limited to one device but any Windows 10 laptop or some ASUS routers could hotspot it to the other devices.

Millennial_Messiah
10-12-2021, 01:33 PM
A single non-gamer with a good Verizon 5G signal at home could probably just get a Visible plan for $40 a month and not miss traditional home internet. Its tethering is limited to one device but any Windows 10 laptop or some ASUS routers could hotspot it to the other devices.
that's a dealbreaker since I work multiple jobs with multiple laptops.

ChumpDumper
10-12-2021, 02:28 PM
that's a dealbreaker since I work multiple jobs with multiple laptops.
but any Windows 10 laptop or some ASUS routers could hotspot it to the other devices.

Millennial_Messiah
10-12-2021, 04:55 PM
but any Windows 10 laptop or some ASUS routers could hotspot it to the other devices.

but wouldn't that require a prohibitively restrictive and cumbersome amount of wires?

Xevious
10-12-2021, 05:15 PM
but wouldn't that require a prohibitively restrictive and cumbersome amount of wires?
Why would one router require a cumbersome amount of wires? :lol

ChumpDumper
10-12-2021, 05:24 PM
but wouldn't that require a prohibitively restrictive and cumbersome amount of wires?One wire from the phone to the router or hotspot laptop. The laptop option doesn't even require one wire tbh. I'm surprised you haven't tried something similar when you're doing all this traveling you're talking about. It would have to be a really good 5G connection to be worth it full time, but I've been able to stream stuff on a Roku @ 720P (1080P with a good signal) while doing some browsing on the laptop using a 4G phone. Some plans might let you use the phone as a hotspot for more than one device at a time directly; not the one I was using, hence the workarounds.

Blake
10-12-2021, 06:27 PM
They just laid Google fiber in the area but I'm sticking with ATT.
Haven't had any major issues in the last few years except for about a month ago when it went out for a full weekend

ChumpDumper
10-12-2021, 06:31 PM
ATT seems to respond to the ol' "give me det promotional rate or I'm leaving" routine that used to work with Time Warner Cable. They'll give away HBO Max from time to time as well.

Millennial_Messiah
10-12-2021, 08:07 PM
ATT seems to respond to the ol' "give me det promotional rate or I'm leaving" routine that used to work with Time Warner Cable. They'll give away HBO Max from time to time as well.
AT&T didn't give us free HBO but they gave us free Showtime & Cinemax for 3 months this past summer.

ElNono
10-13-2021, 06:10 AM
How is Comcast?

North East... they are shit.

ElNono
10-13-2021, 06:12 AM
Judging from the amount of people complaining on Nextdoor, Google Fiber is dogshit. People just have a hard on for it because of the speed test results. Working from home would be a real challenge with shit service like I see constantly being reported around the neighborhood.

I had a Google Fiber installation in NJ for years before moving to the west coast, and it was solid. Speed was great and very little downtime.

DJR210
10-13-2021, 08:13 AM

It still works for Spectrum, but you can tell they are trained not to extend the promotional period. You might have to call a few times but one of them will eventually cave

DMC
10-13-2021, 10:24 PM
Why would one router require a cumbersome amount of wires? :lol

And he's supposed to be an IT pro :lol

Millennial_Messiah
10-15-2021, 08:16 AM
And he's supposed to be an IT pro :lol

not "that" kind of IT... that's network stuff, hardware stuff, helpdesk support stuff, I'm pretty green at that...

my job revolves around carefully responding to emails and appeasing some indians regarding business system analyst type excel and data analyst work... software data "engineering" really just checking on some code and writing BRDs and also doing data analysis with statistics... on the computer at the comfort of working remotely.

DMC
10-15-2021, 11:07 AM
not "that" kind of IT... that's network stuff, hardware stuff, helpdesk support stuff, I'm pretty green at that...

my job revolves around carefully responding to emails and appeasing some indians regarding business system analyst type excel and data analyst work... software data "engineering" really just checking on some code and writing BRDs and also doing data analysis with statistics... on the computer at the comfort of working remotely.

Which obviously requires you to travel across the country.

Millennial_Messiah
10-15-2021, 02:52 PM
Which obviously requires you to travel across the country.

It doesn't require me to, I just do it anyway for personal pleasure, and get to work remotely from where ever I am as long as there's decent internet.

DJR210
10-15-2021, 07:15 PM

:lol.. so you work for the Indians, not vice versa?

Millennial_Messiah
10-16-2021, 08:01 PM
:lol.. so you work for the Indians, not vice versa?

their corporation pays me, so yeah

if I started a business it would be college student living real estate apartments complexes. sort of as a landlord and property manager. fuck IT consulting. I'm only in it for the dough. I'm over 85% of the way to my first million in the bank.

DJR210
10-17-2021, 03:12 PM
their corporation pays me, so yeah

if I started a business it would be college student living real estate apartments complexes. sort of as a landlord and property manager. fuck IT consulting. I'm only in it for the dough. I'm over 85% of the way to my first million in the bank.

Isitjustme?
10-17-2021, 04:25 PM
I cancelled Spectrum and have AT&T fiber now. Spectrum was dogshit, antiquated equipment and long ass resets with service bandwidth drops constantly. No issues now and I don't miss "channels". tbh, you get the same channels over and over and they just call it more channels. Just buy what you want to watch or get streaming services, customize your viewing and browsing choices and don't pay too much for shit service. I pay less than a quarter of what I was paying and get at least 2x more.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12161035176.png

Man I would fucking murder for upload speeds like that. Is that a business plan?

leemajors
10-18-2021, 11:40 AM
Man I would fucking murder for upload speeds like that. Is that a business plan?

Nah, I used to have ATT Fiber and it is just those speeds. It's great if it's in your area.

DMC
10-18-2021, 04:26 PM

Cartoon incoming!

DJR210
10-18-2021, 10:30 PM
Cartoon incoming!

definitely a lot of potential there

Isitjustme?
10-19-2021, 03:19 PM
Nah, I used to have ATT Fiber and it is just those speeds. It's great if it's in your area.

Got a Spectrum plan that came with my condo and I run a Plex server for myself and my family. Upload speed is like 11 mbps :depressed